PDA

View Full Version : Season Outlook....Offense..what do we need?

Scooter
01-06-2007, 01:09 AM
O.K. this is the side of the ball that is going to draw the most differences of opinions.

Let's take a look at the Bison Offense.

Offensive Line: *The Bison lost two good linemen in Tadish and Erickson. *I have to take a minute to say how impressed I was with Jake Erickson's play. *I knew he would fill in nicely but, Jake, you were rock solid all year. *So, what is left? *Probably the most talented group of young men that we have had in a long time. *I don't see a drop off in the level of play for next year. *When a starter was knocked out, a youngster just stepped in and took control. *Of course, the leadership will come from Nate Safe. *If it's true that you get better each year, the guy that Nate is blocking might as well just not suit up. *He's that good. *Wagner and Foster are both good guards and will be even better next year. And the center spot is in great shape. *If anyone was listening to the UC Davis announcers, they couldn't say enough about Harrington. * Lekang will see time at both Guard and center. *Laudner, Ebel, Anderson, and Buckmen can all get the job done and will be fighting for the tackle spot for next year. *Has anyone noticed that the red shirt freshmen haven't been mentioned yet? *Yes this group is deep, deep, deep. *And will be for a long, long, time.

Tight End: *The job is Wurzbachers, end of story. *And, we have him for two more years. *I see some potential in Brown and Hines. *But, my gut tells me that by his junior year, the job will go to Landon Smith. *I have the feeling that this kid is going to be something special.

Wide Receiver: *The loss of a play maker is always tough to take. *But toward the end of the season, new faces started to make their mark. *I'm talking about Majeski. *This kid is an athlete. *Kole Heckendorf is rock solid and has deceptive speed. *The guy that intrigues me the most is Schultenover, at 6'3" he has the potential to do some good things for the Bison. *Now, just what is going to happen with Champ and Williams? *I agree with the coaches decision to red shirt champ last year, and I'm glad that Williams has four more years. *These two kids have raw potential. *All of these receivers just might get over shadowed by the *play maker himself, Shamen Washington. *I would hate to be a defensive back covering this guy in the open flat. *More often than not, Shamen is going to make those guys look like idiots.

Running backs: I think that the fate of this group just may be decided on whether or not Chapman is eligible next year. *This is the only guy that I am truly comfortable filling Steffes's shoes. *Roehl may have deceptive speed but seems to have a hard time with muscle pulls. *Jangula is coming off an injury. *Blincoe showed some promise, but needs to bulk up. *Brower just may be the diamond in the rough. *(Lakes has been shouting this all last year. *He could be right.)

Quarterbacks: We have one of the top four quarterbacks in the country. *Our back up is good. *In fact, our back up is such a good athlete that we need to have him on the field most of the time. *Brecke and Mertens have potential. *I'd like to see Mertens eventually take over for Walker. *When Walker is gone, don't worry, good decision making is easier when you have watched someone like Walker and learned from him.

So, What do we need?

1. *We need a big receiver with speed. *Cal Poly has one, UC Davis has one, UNC had one. *There is NO reason that NDSU with it's facilities can't get one of these guys to come here.

2. *A fast elusive running back with power to go with it. *S Illinois, Montana, Appalachian St, Harvard, Cal Poly , and Delaware all have these kinds of backs last year. *Steffes was a diamond in the rough, we need to be consistently getting these guys. *If there is a junior college guy out there that fits the bill for the next two years, so be it. *Get him

3. *A QB with some size with a strong arm.

4. *A tight end that is about 6'5 and 245 with good hands
5. *This year, all we really need in the offensive line position is three good Lineman (we may be 2/3 of the way there already)

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-06-2007, 01:21 AM
I think a playmaker at TE is our #1 need. Wurzbacher is a very good player and we have all heard nothing but great things about Landon Smith, but in all reality a team that runs the ball as much as NDSU does needs to have a stable of good TE's for those power running formations. After that I think our only major need is to bring in another stud at QB so he can redshirt and compete with the guys we already have for the QB job once Superman graduates after this year.

Bison_Backer
01-06-2007, 04:30 AM
Replace Steffes with a better back, although I am sure their are some JC guys out there most of them will try and go D-1

DIBISON
01-06-2007, 05:08 AM
RB, even though alot of people don't agree. Even Coach Bohl thinks so with the recent verbal from the Twin Cities recruit. The Bison may even sign a JC yet.

SDbison
01-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Need another QB, at least 6'2" tall that is strong, quick, smart and has a accurate throw. I am not that impressed with Parsons, Mertens or Brecke but maybe some young stud could push one of them to play well enough in 2007 while he learns the system and takes over in 2008. If this doesn't happen things might fall off after Walker is done. To me this is the biggest risk the Bison face. Look at the difference Walker made over Stauss. An excellent QB is critical.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Mertens doesn't have the stature you look for in a QB necessarily, but I think he is going to be a very good player when all is said and done. *Having said that, I'm not impressed with Parsons at QB and Brecke not so much either. *We need another QB.

kchats
01-06-2007, 03:56 PM
I think the Bison offense is fairly complicated and takes the young QB's time to learn it. I believe that Mertens and Brecke will be better next season as will Parsons. Parsons main problem from the fans eyes is that he doesn't pass the ball preferring to run more often on his own. I think the Bison need to add another QB to the mix every season because you never know when you recruit a guy that is better than what you already have. I believe Craig Dahl was a QB when he was recruited so maybe you move some of these QB's that are athletically talented around a find a position for them that helps the team.

Remember back in the glory days of the Bison during the big run from about 1980 to the mid 1990's the Bison recruited tons of running backs and option QBs and moved them to different positions. The philosophy was that the QBs and running backs were the best players on the high schools teams with the most athletic talent so get them on your team and find out where they fit.

As for the most important thing for the Bison offense next season: Keeping the current coaching staff in tact, as well as the current offensive philosophy. Last season the coaching staff did a good job of keeping defenses off-balance by running when they were supposed to pass and passing when they were supposed to run. That also helps the QB by taking the pressure off him since he doesn't have to pass to get a first down on third and long all the time. Pat Perles has grown into a very good offensive coordinator and play caller.

Gamehunter
01-06-2007, 11:40 PM
NDSU is going to be JUST FINE with their QB's through 2008, I guarantee it. The team is going be be filled with vets in 2008, basically any QB they throw in there is going to look like an all-star.

Scooter
01-20-2007, 12:50 AM
It looks like we are getting some pretty good backs. *I'd still like to land that MN back from International Falls (Brackins). *Don't be surprised if we do get a JUCO back to help out for the next two years. *I'd really like to see NDSU redshirt all of the new backs comming in. *I think that will rest on Chapman's status.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-21-2007, 11:07 PM
It looks like we are getting some pretty good backs. *I'd still like to land that MN back from International Falls (Brackins). *Don't be surprised if we do get a JUCO back to help out for the next two years. *I'd really like to see NDSU redshirt all of the new backs comming in. *I think that will rest on Chapman's status.

I think with two backs in the fold, we are done with RB's unless the coaching staff has one of those two guys or a subsequent RB recruit slated for a different position.

silkamilkamonico
01-22-2007, 10:04 PM
I'm excited about both of the RB prospects. I think 1 will likely get redshirt, and 1 will see PT. I think we'll be fine at the RB position, and it's nice to have a QB like Walker, who a coach can put the game in his hands if we need too.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-23-2007, 03:59 PM
It will be interesting to see who they decide to redshirt if that ends up being the case. Or maybe one will switch positions? Who knows?

scbison
01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
steal Jimm Clausen from Notre Dame before signing day. Run a Tebow/Leak rotation. Just give Clausen a nice signing bonus ;) ;) ;)

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-23-2007, 04:06 PM
Who do you think we are? Michigan basketball?

scbison
01-23-2007, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't mind being Michigan basketball or the Western University Dolphins. We could recruit Neon, Butch McRae, and Ricky Roe for Coach Miles' squad

HerdBot
01-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Could we see Shamen Washington return as a running back? He was pretty darn good his first 2 years.

tcbison
01-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Could we see Shamen Washington return as a running back? He was pretty darn good his first 2 years.

I'm sure they will look to get him on the field anyway possible. Maybe use him as a 3rd down back. Motion him out of the backfield and throw it to him sounds like a good plan to me. Maybe do some reverses like they did with Majeski as well. The possibilities are endless especially with Pat Perles calling the plays.

Gamehunter
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
My guess is the closest shamen gets to RB will be reverses, and plenty he will do! If the coaches figure out how to best utilize his speed, Shamen is the type of player that can change the outcome of a game.

tcbison
01-23-2007, 05:58 PM
I still like motioning him out of the backfield, if a linebacker is covering him that would be a great mismatch to have. Also having him in the backfield allows you to do toss sweeps and other misdirection plays. I have confidence that the Bison coaches will use him in the best way possible.

Scooter
01-25-2007, 06:22 PM
I'd still like to see us get a good JC back and red shirt all of the incoming backs for next year. *We need someone who has power and can make people miss that has a few years under his belt. I know that Roehl has some speed, but he was prone to muscle strains last year. And, he'd rather run through you, back up and run over you again for good measure. Although this is perfect for a fullback mentality, I'm not sure that he would be a great fit for the tailback spot if the need arose. A JC infusion is a gamble but it could help the overall running back situation down the road. Four years from now I don't want to be writing "God, do I wish McNorton and Voitlander had one more year left..."

Then again, depending on the progress of Blincoe (size, strength) and Jangula (knee rehab) in spring ball we may not need them to lift their red shirts. *We already know that Brower and Roehl are good to go. *Then there is the Shamen factor, and Cinque eligibility question. *Wow, I'm pretty excited about next year, and we just lost one of the best I-AA backs to graduation. *Life is good.

Scooter
01-27-2007, 04:57 PM
So what's left?

1. *Tall WR with some speed......................................... * *Seth Krueger * * 6'3" 205

2. *Fast elusive RB with power. (possible JC transfer) .... *Pat Paschall * * * 6'1" * 210
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Matt Voitlander *6'1" * 210
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * DJ McNorton * * *5'11" 190

3. *QB with some size ................................................ * XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

4. *Tight End 6'5 245 with good hands ......................... * XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

5. *3 good Offensive Linemen .................................... * * *Austin Richards 6'4" 320
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * **Jordan Vadnias 6'4" 308 (project)

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-27-2007, 05:07 PM
A WR would be nice, and so would a QB. At TE we'll have five guys on the roster, with only one being an upperclassman (Jr Jeremiah Wurzbacher). We are absolutely loaded at OL and I think we are set there. And in a rant on an issue I have been beating like a dead horse: A JUCO running back? What are you insane? So far we have 3 RB's for next year (Chapman, Brower, Blincoe) and four FB's (Jangula, Roehl, Hushka, Vandal). We have signed two more RB's this year, and have a class of juniors that consists of 21 players. How much more do we want to inflate that number? Do we really need any more hands to put the ball in? No to both and stop this crazy ranting about a JUCO runningback. It just makes no sense.

Scooter
01-27-2007, 05:15 PM
1. *I want a 6'5" TE that can redshirt so that when he is a sophomore he will be ready to go.

2. *You can not pass on a JC back that can help you immediately infuse some talent. *Like I said before.. four years from now I don't want to be typing "God, I sure wish that Voitlander and McNorton had one more year left."

3. *You need 3 good offensive linemen in every class (2 minimum)

You are right that a JC runningback is a gamble... but this is a gamble that we can offord.

Here ends the crazy rant...for now.

BisonNeil
01-27-2007, 05:25 PM
I know this about football, you can never have too many talented RB and OL. Injuries, injuries, injuries...

I am NOT comfortable with Cinque at RB. NO power, little speed, goes down at the first possibility of bad breath on a would be tackler.

Shamen is not an every down or every other down back. Best in the slot or more like how USC used Bush. He is a non-factor when considering what we have for RB next year. I hope the JUCO can work out, although his history of bouncing around is troubling. Can he be dependable?

We do need a top-flight QB, and none appear on the radar. We need to find the kind of star that Appalacian St found after their first championship. I disagree you can put anybody in there and they will look good, that is just absurd. Think Tony Stauss here before you think that is possible.

SDbison
01-27-2007, 06:13 PM
Actually the way things are shaping up I am most concerned about a great back up QB for this year and someone who can step up and play with the confidence and ability of Steve Walker in 2008. I am sure NDSU could find a taller and more physically capable QB, but there is no way to coach the confidence or IT factor that Walker possesses. He just has IT. Everyone knew he had IT after he jumped in and took the reigns during the almost comeback victory at UNC a few years ago. So who on the roster looks like they have IT now? "crickets chirping". Exactly! It may take 3 more QB recruits to find another even close to Walker. Think back on the close games during the past couple years.....there were a bunch where Walker came through with 3rd and 4th down clutch passes. He is so cool under pressure. Contrast that with Tony Stauss.

Flintstone
01-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Why is everybody writing off Mertens and Brecke before they even get a chance to show anything in a game? I don't feel that Parson's is the answer but we haven't really seen Mertens or Brecke play yet. They were only Freshman last year. Give them a chance to develop.

Scooter
01-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Why is everybody writing off Mertens and Brecke before they even get a chance to show anything in a game? *I don't feel that Parson's is the answer but we haven't really seen Mertens or Brecke play yet. *They were only Freshman last year. *Give them a chance to develop.

Not to discount Mertens but I feel we need a good QB recruit at the minimum of one every two years. *Mertens was recruited two years ago, so we need one for this year.

2003 Walker
2004 Parsons
2005 Mertens/Brecke
2007 ?????

Mr._Bill
01-27-2007, 09:41 PM
Why is everybody writing off Mertens and Brecke before they even get a chance to show anything in a game? *I don't feel that Parson's is the answer but we haven't really seen Mertens or Brecke play yet. *They were only Freshman last year. *Give them a chance to develop.

Not to discount Mertens but I feel we need a good QB recruit at the minimum of one every two years. *Mertens was recruited two years ago, so we need one for this year.

2003 Walker
2004 Parsons
2005 Mertens/Brecke
2007 ?????

Just thought I'd correct your post. I say we bring in the 2006 guy after Walker is gone and run the option. Freddie's the best athlete in the group.

2003 Walker
2004 Parsons
2005 Mertens/Brecke
2006 Freddie Coleman
2007 ?????

Flintstone
01-27-2007, 11:08 PM

2003 Walker
2004 Parsons
2005 Mertens/Brecke
2007 ?????

Looking at it that way, I agree with you. It would be nice to get another QB this year.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-28-2007, 03:31 AM
A top notch QB recruit is definitely a need for this year. Hopefully we grab a good one.

sambini
01-28-2007, 06:52 AM

2003 Walker
2004 Parsons
2005 Mertens/Brecke
2007 ?????

Just thought I'd correct your post. *I say we bring in the 2006 guy after Walker is gone and run the option. *Freddie's the best athlete in the group.

2003 Walker
2004 Parsons
2005 Mertens/Brecke
2006 Freddie Coleman
2007 ?????

Is Miles going to let him play football?

Mr._Bill
01-28-2007, 03:11 PM

2003 Walker
2004 Parsons
2005 Mertens/Brecke
2007 ?????

Just thought I'd correct your post. *I say we bring in the 2006 guy after Walker is gone and run the option. *Freddie's the best athlete in the group.

2003 Walker
2004 Parsons
2005 Mertens/Brecke
2006 Freddie Coleman
2007 ?????

Is Miles going to let him play football?

No, not that I am aware of. I have no insider information. If you believe anything printed in the Pioneer Press about Fred's football prowess, he is/was top notch in the twin cities his senior year.

silkamilkamonico
01-28-2007, 09:31 PM
I'm sure if Coleman decided he wanted to play football, Miles would pull his scholarship.

Considering football is played right before basketball, it's foolish to let a basketball player play football.

A football scholarship player playing basketball is different, but say Coleman did play football and got hurt. He would be out for the basketball season, and so would that scholarship.

I would be a little upset with Miles if he let Coleman play football. And I'm pretty sure it's already been understood that Coleman is at NDSU to play basketball, and not football.

2006gwfcchamps
01-28-2007, 10:24 PM
I know Mich State and Indiana have had WRs from the bball team on the fball team the last few years.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Plus, I think he was a DB, not a QB. I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered us all getting excited at the possibility of a taller DB last year.

SDbison
02-01-2007, 05:33 PM
Definitely need another QB recruit.

bisonfan07
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
If you remember a few years back when the SU sophs were in their redshirt season, WR Alex Belquist suited up and played for the BBall team. This was a scholarship FB player playing ball though. Plus I think Miles needed all of the bodies he could afford to put out a team that year.

Scooter
02-09-2007, 02:39 AM
So, how did Bohl do on the offesive side?

I thought that we needed this.

1. *Big reciever with speed. * * *Seth Krueger and Warren Holloway both of these recievers fit this bill very nicely. However I still long for that 6'4-6'5 reciever. * Grade A-

2. *Fast elusive RB with Power * *DJ McNorton ,Pat Paschall, and Matt Voigtlander. This group may be the best group of the recruiting class and that includes the D line and Linebacking corps. * * Grade A+

3. *QB with size and a strong arm- *Craig said that they didn't find one that was above the bar that they have set. *I'll trust his judgement, he's got a pretty good track record *Grade C

4. *TE with size and good hands.............Matt Veldman 6'7 230 * * * * * * * * * * * * Grade A

5. *3 good O Lineman * * * * * * * * * *Austin Richards 6'4" 315....A
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Paul Cornick * * 6'6" 280 ...A-
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Jordan Vadnias 6'4" 308 ....B- * * * * * * * Grade B+

Over all....A-, A+, C, B+........B+

BisonNeil
02-09-2007, 01:27 PM

1. *Big reciever with speed. * * *Seth Krueger and Warren Holloway both of these recievers fit this bill very nicely. *However I still long for that 6'4-6'5 reciever. * Grade A-

2. *Fast elusive RB with Power * *DJ McNorton ,Pat Paschall, and Matt Voigtlander. *This group may be the best group of the recruiting class and that includes the D line and Linebacking corps. * * Grade A+

3. *QB with size and a strong arm- *Craig said that they didn't find one that was above the bar that they have set. *I'll trust his judgement, he's got a pretty good track record *Grade C

4. *TE with size and good hands.............Matt Veldman 6'7 230 * * * * * * * * * * * * Grade A

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Paul Cornick * * 6'6" 280 ...A-
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Jordan Vadnias 6'4" 308 ....B- * * * * * * * Grade B+

Come on, #3 grades out as a C? That implies there is a body in that slot, and there isn't. You graded individual players in #5, and the group of PLAYERS in all of the other slots, there is no player to grade at QB, therefore, the grade should be a big fat F!

They didn't find one, doesn't sound like they tried all that hard.

Scooter
02-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I'll stand by my Grade C on the QB issue. *Craig gave a good enough reason for me to not give him an F, *However, we are screwed if we don't sign one next year. We do have three of the four QB comming back after next year.

tcbison
02-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I'll stand by my Grade C on the QB issue. *Craig gave a good enough reason for me to not give him an F, *However, we are screwed if we don't sign one next year. *We do have three of the four QB comming back after next year.

Scotter is right with his grade. Actually recruit Daniel Eaves played QB last year so if needed he could play that position again. Next year NDSU will get a QB and everything will be just fine. I know I am not worried.

SDbison
02-09-2007, 04:01 PM

1. *Big reciever with speed. * * *Seth Krueger and Warren Holloway both of these recievers fit this bill very nicely. *However I still long for that 6'4-6'5 reciever. * Grade A-

2. *Fast elusive RB with Power * *DJ McNorton ,Pat Paschall, and Matt Voigtlander. *This group may be the best group of the recruiting class and that includes the D line and Linebacking corps. * * Grade A+

Come on, #3 grades out as a C? That implies there is a body in that slot, and there isn't. You graded individual players in #5, and the group of PLAYERS in all of the other slots, there is no player to grade at QB, therefore, the grade should be a big fat F!

I agree, how can you give an average grade for an area that could be one of the weakest for the Bison in terms of proven depth, but most important position for a football team? I say a D grade is warranted.

Scooter
02-09-2007, 04:09 PM
Quick, someone go ask Craig Bohl if he would like to take his grades and challenge them in front of Tayor. :D

This is fun. Any other thoughts, guys? There really is no wrong answer on this one. Come on...weigh in.

SDbison
02-09-2007, 04:17 PM
Quick, someone go ask Craig Bohl if he would like to take his grades and challenge them in front of Tayor. * :D

This is fun. *Any other thoughts, guys? *There really is no wrong answer on this one. *Come on...weigh in.
BTW Scooter, appreciate the graded summary. The only area I would differ is in the QB area, but you know how some teachers just give better grades to students they like.............. ;D ;D ;D

Scooter
02-09-2007, 04:21 PM

You have a point. *However, I graded Veldman by himself. *He got an A. *The only way you can get an A+ for a position is if all three were graded as A or higher. *I did not intend to single out one position, but I chose to recognise only one walkon player in this post. *I thought that he was worthy of mention. *And, I graded him out as B-. *A B- isn't that bad of a grade. *Heck, that means that I think he was an above average scholorship signee and he is a walk on. *I'd say he did pretty well for himself.

Kermit_clone
02-09-2007, 04:32 PM
I'll stand by my Grade C on the QB issue. *Craig gave a good enough reason for me to not give him an F, *However, we are screwed if we don't sign one next year. *We do have three of the four QB comming back after next year.

After listening to Coach Bohl's comments at the Signing Day press conference, I gathered that the staff didn't feel an urgent need to recruit a quarterback this year. So, in terms of the "grading" metaphor, I'd consider quarterback as a course the team decided not to take this term. You don't get graded in a class that you decide to put off until next year--but the decision could conceivably come back to haunt you. Given the overall performance of Coach Bohl and his staff, I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. The players that are coming in seem to be a very impressive group and I look forward to seeing them on the field.

As for being "screwed if we don't sign one next year"--that isn't going to happen. Quarterback will be a priority and more scholarship money will be budgeted for the position. Depending on the development of the current players, they could always consider bringing in a JC quarterback also. It could be a very attractive situation for a young quarterback (think Tim Miles offering the "car keys" to Ben Woodside).

Scooter
02-09-2007, 05:17 PM
Quarterback is the one position that makes me uneasy when talking about bringing in a JUCO. You are right that they will sign a QB next year, because the thought of Parsons (sr)
Mertens and Brecke (JR) with no one behind them is scary. If they don't sign one next year, they will not be in a good situation. I don't want to turn over the keys to the Bison offense to a Freshman QB with no experience. There just aren't that many "Steve Walkers" who can handle this. Craig will not let this happen anyway, so I guess the point is moot.

BisonNeil
02-09-2007, 05:51 PM
You all feel so comfortable with Bohl's explanation of why they didnt' sign a QB, because they "drew a line" of trying to get a difference maker and once it became clear they weren't going to be able to get that type of player, they decided against signing a QB. Well, I say it limits possibilities and drastically reduces their flexibility on offense for some time to come.

The staff apparently felt last year that Parsons was too good an athlete to leave on the bench, and decided to work him into the offense. Can that really happen now? Can Bohl et al. really afford to move him into another position or play around with him in another role and not have him dedicate his life to QB? I say no, they have lost that flexibility.

Consider this: If they move Parson's anywhere, and not have him at QB, then that means in the 2008 campaign, our first playoff year, Mertens and Brekke are the only QBs. This means you have a TRUE freshman running the scout team, and you are one injury away from having a true freshman as a back up QB. And this, of course, ASSUMES they can identify an QB next year that is good enough to cross the "line" and can be a difference maker. Not a good situation. If they didn't find one this year, you all seem so confident it will happen next year. I hope you are all correct, I really, really do.

So, by giving up on recruiting a QB in 2007, one that can cross the proverbial "line", the Bison coaches have sequestered Parsons to a back up QB role and can ill afford to work him into other areas of the offense. They have painted themselves into a corner, and therefore, deserve an F in this area of recruiting.

If you ever went to college, did you get a C for not doing your homework and for failing to hand anything in? If so, I sure as hell wish I had gone to your mickey mouse school! Must have been UND.

Bison_Dan
02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
You all feel so comfortable with Bohl's explanation of why they didnt' sign a QB, because they "drew a line" of trying to get a difference maker and once it became clear they weren't going to be able to get that type of player, they decided against signing a QB. *Well, I say it limits possibilities and drastically reduces their flexibility on offense for some time to come.

The staff apparently felt last year that Parsons was too good an athlete to leave on the bench, and decided to work him into the offense. Can that really happen now? *Can Bohl et al. really afford to move him into another position or play around with him in another role and not have him dedicate his life to QB? I say no, they have lost that flexibility.

Consider this: If they move Parson's anywhere, and not have him at QB, then that means in the 2008 campaign, our first playoff year, Mertens and Brekke are the only QBs. This means you have a TRUE freshman running the scout team, and you are one injury away from having a true freshman as a back up QB. And this, of course, ASSUMES they can identify an QB next year that is good enough to cross the "line" and can be a difference maker. Not a good situation. If they didn't find one this year, you all seem so confident it will happen next year. I hope you are all correct, I really, really do.

So, by giving up on recruiting a QB in 2007, one that can cross the proverbial "line", the Bison coaches have sequestered Parsons to a back up QB role and can ill afford to work him into other areas of the offense. They have painted themselves into a corner, and therefore, deserve an F in this area of recruiting.

If you ever went to college, did you get a C for not doing your homework and for failing to hand anything in? If so, I sure as hell wish I had gone to your mickey mouse school! Must have been UND.

Neil you can loose sleep over the qb situation but apparently coach Bohl feels good about the quarterbacks he's got or he wouldn't have set his sights so high in looking for a qb.

SDbison
02-09-2007, 06:34 PM
You all feel so comfortable with Bohl's explanation of why they didnt' sign a QB, because they "drew a line" of trying to get a difference maker and once it became clear they weren't going to be able to get that type of player, they decided against signing a QB. *Well, I say it limits possibilities and drastically reduces their flexibility on offense for some time to come.

The staff apparently felt last year that Parsons was too good an athlete to leave on the bench, and decided to work him into the offense. Can that really happen now? *Can Bohl et al. really afford to move him into another position or play around with him in another role and not have him dedicate his life to QB? I say no, they have lost that flexibility.

Neil you can loose sleep over the qb situation but apparently coach Bohl feels good about the quarterbacks he's got or he wouldn't have set his sights so high in looking for a qb. *
No matter how you look at it, you have to say after Walker, QB is a weak spot. *This year and next. *Whoever is the next QB, they will have a tough time living up to the reputation Walker has.

Bison_Dan
02-09-2007, 07:23 PM

Neil you can loose sleep over the qb situation but apparently coach Bohl feels good about the quarterbacks he's got or he wouldn't have set his sights so high in looking for a qb. *
No matter how you look at it, you have to say after Walker, QB is a weak spot. *This year and next. *Whoever is the next QB, they will have a tough time living up to the reputation Walker has.

I disagree with that statement. I don't know how you can say it will be a weak spot without seeing both Mertens and Brekke playing with the first team offense. I remember Walker's spring game when he was a freshman and he wasn't any great shakes. Like I said if it was that weak a position coach Bohl would have lowered his standards and picked a qb.

Scooter
02-09-2007, 07:45 PM
You all feel so comfortable with Bohl's explanation of why they didnt' sign a QB, because they "drew a line" of trying to get a difference maker and once it became clear they weren't going to be able to get that type of player, they decided against signing a QB. *Well, I say it limits possibilities and drastically reduces their flexibility on offense for some time to come......
deleted some of post to save some space

Good UND jab, It appears that in your post you admit that Coach Bohl did do his homework and set a high standard for QB. If you want to get technical about it, he signed two QB's this year in Melvin Thomas and Daniel Eaves both are listed on defense. So, he signed two high school starting QB's but chose to list them on defense. That doesn't mean he can't move them. Why sign a guy that in your heart, you know doesn't meet standards just for the sake of "turning something in".....I stand by my C

NDSUFREAK10
02-13-2007, 12:00 AM
Dont know if you guys have heard of anything like this, but Austin Richard apparently has a type of shoulder problem that they are working on. Hopefully he can get back to regular shape.