PDA

View Full Version : Teams NDSU needs to beat (for statistics only)

tony
04-26-2012, 02:04 PM
For the young 'uns, all you need to know is that Bison football changed when Darrell Mudra took over as coach back in 1964.

NDSU has played 45 programs more than once in that time and has a lead in 40 of those series, is tied in 3, and is behind in 2.

It'd be kind of cool if at the end of the 2013 season, NDSU fans could say, "In the last 50 years, no team has a series lead against NDSU." (i.e. no team that NDSU has played more than once has won more games than they've lost.)

For this to happen, here's what the Bison need to do in the next two seasons:

1. Can't go -1 against Delta State or Northwest Missouri State (pretty sure that won't be a problem) Check
2. Can't go -2 against Cal Poly, WIU, Minnesota, Sam Houston State (none of these teams is on the schedule) Check
3. Can't go -2 against Illinois State or Southern Illinois (two games scheduled so have to at least split) Check
4. Have to at least get a split against Missouri State (series is tied, two games on the schedule) Check
5. Have to go +2 against Youngstown State (this is possible - two games are scheduled) Gotta win in 2013
6. Have to go +2 against Jacksonville State (very difficult since they aren't on the schedule - I'll be rooting for the Gamecocks to make the playoffs.) Nooooooo!

If you are wondering why UNI and UND aren't on that list, it's because NDSU is +8 against UND and +7 vs UNI since 1964.

End of 2012 season updates in bold.

stevdock
04-26-2012, 02:43 PM
So we have a losing record against Youngstown and Jack St and tied with Missouri St. Who else are we tied with during that time??

tony
04-26-2012, 03:23 PM
So we have a losing record against Youngstown and Jack St and tied with Missouri St. Who else are we tied with during that time??

Delta State and NW Missouri State (both series tied at 1-1).

heffray
04-26-2012, 05:51 PM
For the young 'uns, all you need to know is that Bison football changed when Darrell Mudra took over as coach back in 1964.

NDSU has played 45 programs more than once in that time and has a lead in 40 of those series, is tied in 3, and is behind in 2.

It'd be kind of cool if at the end of the 2013 season, NDSU fans could say, "In the last 50 years, no team has a series lead against NDSU." (i.e. no team that NDSU has played more than once has won more games than they've lost.)

1. Can't go -1 against Delta State or Northwest Missouri State (pretty sure that won't be a problem)
2. Can't go -2 against Cal Poly, WIU, Minnesota, Sam Houston State (none of these teams is on the schedule)
3. Can't go -2 against Illinois State or Southern Illinois (two games scheduled so have to at least split)
4. Have to at least get a split against Missouri State (series is tied, two games on the schedule)
5. Have to go +2 against Youngstown State (this is possible - two games are scheduled)
6. Have to go +2 against Jacksonville State (very difficult since they aren't on the schedule - I'll be rooting for the Gamecocks to make the playoffs.)

If you are wondering why UNI and UND aren't on that list, it's because NDSU is +8 against UND and +7 vs UNI since 1964.

Bold, in order:

1. That would be kinda cool, hope it happens.
2. That IS cool. Glad it will CONTINUE to happen.

GO BISON!

reformedUNDfan
04-26-2012, 05:54 PM
what about the teams they've only played once?

taper
04-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Where's your source for all this? I might be able to work some spreadsheet magic and answer any stats questions.

tony
04-28-2012, 05:26 PM
what about the teams they've only played once?

Here's everybody NDSU has a losing record against since 1964 (inclusive of 1964). 95 different teams played in that time, 11 have winning records.

Query14

Descr2
Expr1

Youngstown State

2-4-0

Jacksonville State

0-2-0

Eastern Washington

0-1-0

Wyoming

0-1-0

Iowa State

0-1-0

Grand Valley State

0-1-0

Texas Arlington

0-1-0

Texas State

0-1-0

Troy

0-1-0

San Diego State

0-1-0

Emporia State

0-1-0

tony
04-28-2012, 05:39 PM
Where's your source for all this? I might be able to work some spreadsheet magic and answer any stats questions.

Bisonville started as a database of Bison football scores. The database still exists and now contains the scores of over 90,000+ games, including every Bison game played. I'll add a couple thousand more this summer for the teams that are now fully DI, like UND and USD. Come to think of it, I could make a .CSV or .XML with just Bison scores in it - that would be considerably easier to manipulate. If you're interested, let me know.

TheBisonator
04-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Don't we have an overall losing record against UNI???

Hammersmith
04-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Don't we have an overall losing record against UNI???
Not in the last 50 years. Prior to that, and overall, yes.

IzzyFlexion
04-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Not in the last 50 years. Prior to that, and overall, yes.

buttdominance!?!?

Hammersmith
04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
buttdominance!?!?
Pre-Mudra, the Bison went 4-18 vs. UNI. Since then, it's been 15-7. (if my count is right)

taper
04-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Bisonville started as a database of Bison football scores. The database still exists and now contains the scores of over 90,000+ games, including every Bison game played. I'll add a couple thousand more this summer for the teams that are now fully DI, like UND and USD. Come to think of it, I could make a .CSV or .XML with just Bison scores in it - that would be considerably easier to manipulate. If you're interested, let me know.

Sure, I'll take a look. csv will be a little easier for me, xml is fine too. I was thinking of listing for each matchup W/L total and ratio, total points, and average margin of victory/loss. Any other requests?

tony
04-30-2012, 01:07 AM
Sure, I'll take a look. csv will be a little easier for me, xml is fine too. I was thinking of listing for each matchup W/L total and ratio, total points, and average margin of victory/loss. Any other requests?

Will this work?

http://www.bisonville.com/fanguide/scores.txt

There is something wrong with the Montana State series record. Montana State and NDSU disagree about how many times they've played.

southcliffbison
04-30-2012, 01:32 AM
Will this work?

http://www.bisonville.com/fanguide/scores.txt

There is something wrong with the Montana State series record. Montana State and NDSU disagree about how many times they've played.

The reason for that, Tony, is they're fudging the numbers because they're still pissed due to the bitch slappin' we gave them in the '10 playoffs up in Bozotown.

tony
04-30-2012, 01:43 AM
The reason for that, Tony, is they're fudging the numbers because they're still pissed due to the bitch slappin' we gave them in the '10 playoffs up in Bozotown.

Heh, you made me check... both schools now seem agree that Montana State is +6 in the series (20-14.) Montana State used to say that the series lead was smaller than NDSU did.

But from what I see the series should is 21-13 in favor of the Bobcats.

http://www.msubobcats.com/documents/2010/12/2/FB_Gm_Notes__10__12.NDSU.pdf?id=513

From the Bobcat playoff game preview from 2010:

2005 .......... 20-17*
1980 .......... 21-19*
1979 ..........7-21@
1978 .......... 28-18*
1977 ........24-17@
1976 ..........10-3@
1976 ............ 34-7*
1975 ..........6-13@
1974 .......... 34-14*
1973 ........17-34@
1972 ......... 27-24&
1971 ........12-28@
1970 ............ 8-30*
1967 ........... 6-24&
1966 ........22-35@ <--- NDSU says 35-23... odd
1965 ............ 7-14*
1964 ............0-7@
1962 ........... 37-2&
1961 ..........35-0@
1960 ........26-14@
1959 .......... 24-12*
1958 ........33-20@
1957 ............ 27-6*
1950 ............0-27+
1949 ............28-7+
1948 ............ 33-0*
1946 .......... 39-18*
1940 .............. 7-0*
1939 .......... 14-16*
1929 .............. 6-0*
1927 ............ 22-0*
1922 ..........0-48@ <--- NDSU's media guide says 54-0 Bison... weird
1914 ............ 18-0*
+-at Glendive &-at Great Falls
Series Record: 20-13 At Bozeman: 13-3 At Fargo: 5-7
At Great Falls: 2-1 At Glendive: 1-1

^ that adds up to a 21-12 advantage for Montana State but it's missing the 2010 playoff game which makes the series 21-13. NDSU's media guide shows the same games, just two of the scores are slightly different. Maybe there was forfeit?

onbison09
04-30-2012, 02:22 AM
UT-Arlington doesn't have a team anymore

tony
04-30-2012, 02:33 AM
UT-Arlington doesn't have a team anymore

Here's to hoping they reinstate their program so NDSU can get them on the schedule! :)

taper
05-01-2012, 01:55 AM
Some important dates:
1922 founding member of NCC.
1973 NCAA organized into DI, DII, DII.
2004 DI.

Can't upload a .csv filetype, people can either rename the .txt to .csv and open with Excel(or notepad), or import through excel as comma delimited text. I can do any date ranges, and if other school's data is the in the same format I can do those too. Cells with "NaN" means Not A Number, or no available data. Most columns about tied games or neutral sites will have this.

tony
01-08-2013, 01:06 AM

1. Can't go -1 against Delta State or Northwest Missouri State (pretty sure that won't be a problem) Check
2. Can't go -2 against Cal Poly, WIU, Minnesota, Sam Houston State (none of these teams is on the schedule) Check
3. Can't go -2 against Illinois State or Southern Illinois (two games scheduled so have to at least split) Check
4. Have to at least get a split against Missouri State (series is tied, two games on the schedule) Check
5. Have to go +2 against Youngstown State (this is possible - two games are scheduled) Gotta win in 2013
6. Have to go +2 against Jacksonville State (very difficult since they aren't on the schedule - I'll be rooting for the Gamecocks to make the playoffs.) Nooooooo!

^ Updated the original post.

Executive Summary: Unless NDSU can get Jacksonville State on the schedule and then meet them in the playoffs, there will be at least one team with a winning series record against NDSU in the last 50 years as of the end of the 2013 season. Gotta beat Youngstown State.

tony
01-10-2016, 11:14 PM

Just bumping this since NDSU has done everything possible to make this happen - can't help it that there was only one game against Jacksonville State.

I'm guessing that the only FCS teams that have winning streaks against NDSU are EWU and USD (at least not during the last 50 years) and NDSU plays them both.

Vet70
01-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Just bumping this since NDSU has done everything possible to make this happen - can't help it that there was only one game against Jacksonville State.

I'm guessing that the only FCS teams that have winning streaks against NDSU are EWU and USD (at least not during the last 50 years) and NDSU plays them both.

Thanks Tony---now that this is out again the Forum will have pictures of us holding signs that say "We Want Grand Valley State." Excuse me, "Photo Illustrations."

tony
09-12-2018, 04:33 PM

2. Can't go -2 against Cal Poly, WIU, Minnesota, Sam Houston State (none of these teams is on the schedule) Check +1 vs Cal Poly, +2 vs SHSU
3. Can't go -2 against Illinois State or Southern Illinois (two games scheduled so have to at least split) Checks +3 vs SIU and +4 vs ISU-Red since the end of 2012
4. Have to at least get a split against Missouri State (series is tied, two games on the schedule) Check +5 vs MoSt
5. Have to go +2 against Youngstown State (this is possible - two games are scheduled) Gotta win in 2013 +5 vs YSU
6. Have to go +2 against Jacksonville State (very difficult since they aren't on the schedule - I'll be rooting for the Gamecocks to make the playoffs.) Noooooo! +1 vs JSU

If you are wondering why UNI and UND aren't on that list, it's because NDSU is +8 against UND and +7 vs UNI since 1964. Now +9 v UND and +11 v UNI

OK, I started this thread way back in 2012 because I wanted to keep track of teams that have winning records in their series against NDSU since 1964 (aka The Age of Mudra). (if there is only one game, it's not a series.) I've updated the quoted post in green for what has taken place since then.

So basically, there is only one team left that has a winning record in a series against NDSU since 1964: JACKSONVILLE STATE. They must be destroyed (obviously)

Bison 4 Life
09-12-2018, 04:48 PM
OK, I started this thread way back in 2012 because I wanted to keep track of teams that have winning records in their series against NDSU since 1964 (aka The Age of Mudra). (if there is only one game, it's not a series.) I've updated the quoted post in green for what has taken place since then.

So basically, there is only one team left that has a winning record in a series against NDSU since 1964: JACKSONVILLE STATE. They must be destroyed (obviously)

Need to get that H/H. Can't rely on them to get deep in the playoffs anymore.

THEsocalledfan
09-12-2018, 05:47 PM

Their ineptness in the playoffs is making this difficult......

tony
09-12-2018, 06:06 PM
Need to get that H/H. Can't rely on them to get deep in the playoffs anymore.

This might be the year to get them at home if things work out so NDSU has a high seed and JSU has a low seed / no seed. If they have a high seed, like socalled said, their incompetence protects them from getting another beatdown.

Bison 4 Life
09-12-2018, 06:55 PM
This might be the year to get them at home if things work out so NDSU has a high seed and JSU has a low seed / no seed. If they have a high seed, like socalled said, their incompetence protects them from getting another beatdown.

I was thinking that too. Losing to A&T might finally stop the committee from overvaluing them.

noryan34
09-12-2018, 08:36 PM
I was thinking that too. Losing to A&T might finally stop the committee from overvaluing them.

If they win out and A&T does as well i wouldnt bet against JSU getting a Top 4 seed.