PDA

View Full Version : GDT: Spring Game 4/21

HerdBot
04-21-2012, 05:26 AM
8- 1/2 hours till the tailgate lots open. Get yer ass out to the dome at 9 am and start tailgating. Game starts at 1 and its free. You can buy the National Championship DVD at the dome.

BisonNation11
04-21-2012, 05:41 AM
Burgers prepped, chili made, brownies baked, pancakes and sausage ready to go, beer keeping cold in the fridge, Ice Hole and Apple Pie chillin' in the freezer!!! Let's do this!!!

BisonTeacher
04-21-2012, 05:51 AM
I totally lost track of time. I wanted to start this thread so I could redeem myself. I figured I couldn't lose for once. Dammit! Oh well. My son will make his appearance any day now...so I am not there with you, but I will be watching online.

JustinTyem
04-21-2012, 06:03 AM
8- 1/2 hours till the tailgate lots open. Get yer ass out to the dome at 9 am and start tailgating. Game starts at 1 and its free. You can buy the National Championship DVD at the dome.Where the videos in HD???

Tatanka
04-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Yes the video was HD

HandoEX
04-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Been in line to tailgate for a while and there is no one here. Some people just aren't cut out for life on the road

HerdBot
04-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Good rain just stopped our crew will join the action around 10 how many tailgaters are there early?

HandoEX
04-21-2012, 02:23 PM
The paved lot is 25% full. We are the only ones in the grass.

LikeMothers
04-21-2012, 03:08 PM

insert something clever here

tcbison
04-21-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm bring my nephews to the game. For one of my nephews it is his first Bison game. Anyway, do they have anything setup for kids at the tailgate like they do for normal games? If they do we will come in earlier. Thanks.

BisonBabe
04-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Have a packed day but will make it to the game

bri-dog
04-21-2012, 03:43 PM
My brother just texted me, said there's a pretty good crowd; Veldman and Jirik are in their bus partying...

MN_BISON
04-21-2012, 03:52 PM
You sure it's Jirik, doesn't he have a game to play today?

MN_BISON
04-21-2012, 03:55 PM
My brother just texted me, said there's a pretty good crowd; Veldman and Jirik are in their bus partying...

Is the Michigan Missle, Charlie D in the house/bus?

bri-dog
04-21-2012, 03:56 PM
You sure it's Jirik, doesn't he have a game to play today?

LOL -- it's early and I'm hung over. Jirik just stopped by (not partying); his parents are tailgating next to them.

North Side
04-21-2012, 03:56 PM
Just stood in line for an hour to buy some shorts at the ndsu sale, some people behind me came from Bismarck for this! Its getting to the big time!

LikeMothers
04-21-2012, 04:02 PM

Yet another tailgater regretting wasting the best years of his life as a who fan

HerdBot
04-21-2012, 05:19 PM
Wow great turnout people! Paved side close to full grass side. 20% full. Wind sucks

BlueBisonRock
04-21-2012, 05:42 PM

Yet another tailgater regretting wasting the best years of his life as a who fan

He looks real good in yellow!

BisonTeacher
04-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Just stood in line for an hour to buy some shorts at the ndsu sale, some people behind me came from Bismarck for this! Its getting to the big time!

North Side...did they have any jerseys, if so ...about how much were they?

JustinTyem
04-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Is there a WEB cast that I can walk the game on my puter??????

BisonTeacher
04-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Go figure...Go bison link not working.

BisonTeacher
04-21-2012, 06:10 PM
missed the beginning of gene's speech. But it's working now.

onbison09
04-21-2012, 06:17 PM
I thought the spring game was free so I canceled the all access pass :banghead:

CalBison97
04-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Anyone else watching on gobison? Nice first punt!

CalBison97
04-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Wow, and another...think we found a punter who can boom it!

JustinTyem
04-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Yes,I am too. GREAT HANG TIME on the Punt WOW

Fast50Dad
04-21-2012, 06:31 PM
Any way I can watch from my blackberry? Tried Go Bison and valley news live but no luck.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

TheBisonator
04-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Where did we get this punter?? I didn't even notice him. Seems to be another weapon for us.

BisonTeacher
04-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Anyone else watching on gobison? Nice first punt!

Im watching too. good crowd.

unbison
04-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Waiting for 4m?

CalBison97
04-21-2012, 06:38 PM
Where did we get this punter?? I didn't even notice him. Seems to be another weapon for us.

Not sure, but he has eased some of my jitters with replacing Voight. Superior hangtime on all 4 punts too.

CalBison97
04-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Esley does grow some nice locks...sadly, mine resembles Brock's!

TheBisonator
04-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Ojuri didn't miss a beat the few times I saw him carry the ball.

TheBisonator
04-21-2012, 06:52 PM
I haven't gotten any good looks at the crowd size. How big of a crowd is it today?? Are we close to the 6,000 that Vigen predicted??

CalBison97
04-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Btw, Craig Bohl is with Scott and Phil for the 2nd qtr and will move to the tv booth for the 2nd half. And as I sent it, he said his goodbyes.

TheBisonator
04-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Gene will be talking up next. Hopefully he can fill us in about the BSA renovation.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-21-2012, 07:07 PM
Where is Wentz?

chuckles
04-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Attendance right round 5800 according to a tweet from Kolpack. Good energy in the dome, but ready to see some scoring.

bri-dog
04-21-2012, 07:15 PM
Where is Wentz?

Ankle sprain, I believe.

Hammer could at least learn the players' names. He's called Ben LeCompte "Pete" at least twice...:facepalm:

BisonTeacher
04-21-2012, 07:17 PM
2 stupid questions...

1. Why no bison sticker on the helmets?

2. Is that the new turf? It doesnt look any different than the old stuff? (with the clarity of NeuLion, its hard to tell)

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-21-2012, 07:25 PM
2 stupid questions...

2. Is that the new turf? It doesnt look any different than the old stuff? (with the clarity of NeuLion, its hard to tell)

Back in the day, when I was an equiptment manager, all stickers were taken off for spring ball. The reason being that everyone has to earn a spot on the team. In other words, noone has offically made the team until spring ball is over and position assingments have been given. I assume this is still the protocol today.

HerdBot
04-21-2012, 07:26 PM
2 stupid questions...

No helmet stickers i think they have to earn them by completing camp.

This is the old turf. Last game with it.

4mcruenomore
04-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Gene announced attendance at 5,842. Offense looks horrible as usual. Dan Hammer sucks, but Kevin is awesome.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Ankle sprain, I believe.

Hammer could at least learn the players' names. He's called Ben LeCompte "Pete" at least twice...:facepalm:

Thanks for the update.

TheBisonator
04-21-2012, 07:29 PM
Gene announced attendance at 5,842. Offense looks horrible as usual. Dan Hammer sucks, but Kevin is awesome.

Awesome crowd!! I wonder how that compares to the Gophers' attendance today.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-21-2012, 07:30 PM

Our offense needs something different, something new. We can't continue to rely solely on our defense to win us games.

4mcruenomore
04-21-2012, 07:32 PM
Vigen has never won a spring game, even as a player. He was roommates with Kevin in college and I guess it's a sore spot.

onbison09
04-21-2012, 07:37 PM
Is the offense that bad or the defense that good?

NDSUstudent
04-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Awesome crowd!! I wonder how that compares to the Gophers' attendance today.

Gopher spring game attendance was 3,512.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-21-2012, 07:43 PM
Is the offense that bad or the defense that good?

Both................

MN_BISON
04-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Does All Access really have to cut off the stream once the game is over? Really pisses me off, didn't even see the end of the KVLY broadcast.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Their final score was the same as ours.

4mcruenomore
04-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Kicking and punting looked good.

BisonTeacher
04-21-2012, 08:18 PM
This was on the banner on top of the neulion feed. I wonder if Tatanka gave permission for the use of his likeness.

http://s0.2mdn.net/viewad/1779111/382492/ndst_2400_ord2315_caution_subscription_728x90.jpg

stevdock
04-21-2012, 08:59 PM
Defense was amazing today, in my opinion. There was no room to throw the ball anywhere basically all day for both teams. Our defense is just that good.

I'd compare it to when Mertens was quarterback in fall camp his first season and was lighting up the defense. And alot of people thought we would be just fine that year. Well instead what happened was our defense just wasn't that good that year and obviously Mertens struggled too. Our offense will be fine going up against a normal defense that has holes to take advantage of. Right now there just aren't a whole lot of things to pick on in that defense.

Our punter started off well but really struggled after that. Even his first kick was returnable and would have been a big return in a real game. He will get better though, just a freshman. My opinion is if one of the three HS WR's can come into camp ready to go, they will make the team.

MNLonghorn10
04-21-2012, 09:39 PM
head hurts. i think ezqb is dead

56BISON73
04-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Kicking and punting looked good.

Punter did a good job at the beginning of the game. Then he got real bad. Shaked a few and was really short on a few others.

HerdBot
04-21-2012, 10:04 PM

That equals what we did last year

UncleBuck
04-22-2012, 12:21 AM
I would love to see the photo mention in the Forum of two fans in SHSU runner up t-shirts posing with the tropy, just to post on the Bearkat forum.

BisonTeacher
04-22-2012, 12:33 AM
I would love to see the photo mention in the Forum of two fans in SHSU runner up t-shirts posing with the tropy, just to post on the Bearkat forum.

I saw that on TV...I was wondering if that's what those T shirts were.

MNLonghorn10
04-22-2012, 12:42 AM
that is awesome. i want to buy a "undefeated season" shirt that they were wearing at the national championship game.

KINGRANCH
04-22-2012, 01:05 AM
wore my runner up shirt today, i think there were three or four in the crowd got a lot of laughs about it

roadwarrior
04-22-2012, 01:25 AM
head hurts. i think ezqb is dead

So in other words, another successful saturday.

Bison03
04-22-2012, 02:22 AM
A few SDSU fans were tailgating near me. When I asked if they missed the exit to Brookings they said they were attending the baseball games this weekend. They figured as long as there were people tailgating, they might as well eat some burgers and drink some beers before the game. Good guys. They all were former SDSU baseball players. A little smack talk but mostly agreeing that UND sucks, Vermillion is a shit hole, and USD fans are are arrogant punks who just want to fight you if you are not a Yotes fan.

BisBison
04-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Punter did a good job at the beginning of the game. Then he got real bad. Shaked a few and was really short on a few others.
He was probably tired. What he have 20 punts?

tony
04-22-2012, 02:48 AM
Wonder how the coaches graded Okland out? To my untrained eye, he looked the part out there (so did Matt Jones.)

Thought the offense was off for two reasons: 1) NDSU's defense is pretty good and 2) Not enough rushing to do what NDSU does on offense: wear down the defense and then grind them into the turf.

Stats probably show a lot of rushes but I think about half must have been made by QBs.

344Johnson
04-22-2012, 03:29 AM
Wonder how the coaches graded Okland out? To my untrained eye, he looked the part out there (so did Matt Jones.)

Thought the offense was off for two reasons: 1) NDSU's defense is pretty good and 2) Not enough rushing to do what NDSU does on offense: wear down the defense and then grind them into the turf.

Stats probably show a lot of rushes but I think about half must have been made by QBs.

Really liked Okland and Jones.

TateMosersneighbor
04-22-2012, 03:41 AM
I've always thought it'd be good to see some "data" on who graded out well and why. Perhaps those that are in the know could explain how one get's graded and then could break down a particular play and "grade" a few of the guys?

KTF
04-22-2012, 03:41 AM
I was in attendance of the spring game today(Drove 3 hours one way to be in attendance!!). The crowd was fantastic, the dome excitmenet was high.

The CB and Secondary are solid 2 deep, I have no concerns there. I was really surprised by the play of CJ smith and Brendon Pierre, Smith because of the newcomer and contributing at a high level and Pierre for shaking the rust off after a year off. I do believe that Pierre is better at CB then what Dudzik was this past year (if that is possible).
The linebacker depth is a bit scary, would be nice to have a few more guys. LIttlejohn and Dinwiddie had a lot of tackles, seemed like they were in on every play. The #1 dline was giving the #1 oline fits all day but the Oline was starting to open up some holes. It appears that Lavoy at left guard is going to be a solid move.

On offense, Jones seemed to be close to breaking a few of the runs. I would have love to have sense a few more catches out of the backfield and to see him in open space. I really do think that Thorton has a legitimate shot at unseating Brock for the starting spot. (I know most would disagree) When Stanford gets more confident with his decision making he could be a good QB as well. Today he seemed to take too long to make the reads, by the time he did, the window of opportunity was closed. Okland looked good, probably better then Wahlo Cooper does.

Punting was good at first but really went down hill. I am fine with that, this was the game for a few bad punts, get them out of the way now.

The best part of the day though was my conversation with a longtime supporter that has ties to the program at a much higher level then I do. I was fortunate enough to sit behind the presidents suite and see the likes of Don Morton, Bohls wife, Scottie Hazelton, RoadWarrior (Guy I spoke with knew you very well), etc... It brought a whole new scope of the program into view for me, I knew it existed but I had never seen that before.

Mr. Burgundy
04-22-2012, 04:14 AM
Just think, on defense line alone we didn't play Jirik, Juckem or Drevlow. That is insane how good that defense is. You simply can't move the ball up the gut, and if you throw on the corners it is going the other way. Add in the Dudzik/Heagle combo at safety and we really have something special.

We are short at linebacker but Jemison is a known commodity and he will be healthy. Sounds like we had Juco kids in today LB (potentially a transfer). If that is the case, our defense is going to be simply amazing. Dinwiddie was terrific today.

The offense can't wait to play against someone else. I would guess our receivers are sick of being covered by Marcus and the boys.

Love the crowd, loved the showcase, loved how many people were at the locker room sale. The fanbase is crazy. The 60 plus recruits had to love it. Excited to see the Bison at full strength.

jarhead
04-22-2012, 12:29 PM
D-line and secondary getting much deserved accolades, but the linebacking corp is also really impressive. Aside from the starters, LaVoy and Scoliere both had im-
pressive games, saw Codee Lee making plays, Carter inactive but still on the roster, Hushka inactive, Gefroh not getting much press, but I gotta believe he's game
ready and I believe Joey Sonnenfield (injured) will be pressing for playing time once he learns the position and gains some weight. Add incoming freshmen Amaechi, Davis, Riopelle and Stumpf to the mix with only Jemison graduating and they should be a strong unit for a long time. Really like some of the guys on the 2013 re-
cruiting list too.

Notorious
04-22-2012, 03:15 PM
This was on the banner on top of the neulion feed. I wonder if Tatanka gave permission for the use of his likeness.

http://s0.2mdn.net/viewad/1779111/382492/ndst_2400_ord2315_caution_subscription_728x90.jpg

I'm sure the "small print" on his ticket indemnifies them, and "us", from using this photo however we wish :)

Notorious
04-22-2012, 03:19 PM
...but Jemison is a known commodity and he will be healthy...

I predict he comes back with a monster season!

BisonTeacher
04-22-2012, 03:32 PM
I'm sure the "small print" on his ticket indemnifies them, and "us", from using this photo however we wish :)

My thoughts exactly.

4mcruenomore
04-22-2012, 04:05 PM
I was in attendance of the spring game today(Drove 3 hours one way to be in attendance!!). The crowd was fantastic, the dome excitmenet was high.

The CB and Secondary are solid 2 deep, I have no concerns there. I was really surprised by the play of CJ smith and Brendon Pierre, Smith because of the newcomer and contributing at a high level and Pierre for shaking the rust off after a year off. I do believe that Pierre is better at CB then what Dudzik was this past year (if that is possible).
The linebacker depth is a bit scary, would be nice to have a few more guys. LIttlejohn and Dinwiddie had a lot of tackles, seemed like they were in on every play. The #1 dline was giving the #1 oline fits all day but the Oline was starting to open up some holes. It appears that Lavoy at left guard is going to be a solid move.

On offense, Jones seemed to be close to breaking a few of the runs. I would have love to have sense a few more catches out of the backfield and to see him in open space. I really do think that Thorton has a legitimate shot at unseating Brock for the starting spot. (I know most would disagree) When Stanford gets more confident with his decision making he could be a good QB as well. Today he seemed to take too long to make the reads, by the time he did, the window of opportunity was closed. Okland looked good, probably better then Wahlo Cooper does.

Punting was good at first but really went down hill. I am fine with that, this was the game for a few bad punts, get them out of the way now.

The best part of the day though was my conversation with a longtime supporter that has ties to the program at a much higher level then I do. I was fortunate enough to sit behind the presidents suite and see the likes of Don Morton, Bohls wife, Scottie Hazelton, RoadWarrior (Guy I spoke with knew you very well), etc... It brought a whole new scope of the program into view for me, I knew it existed but I had never seen that before.

Brock isn't the next coming of Joe Montana?? Be prepared for a beat down by BV's sheople.

tony
04-22-2012, 04:21 PM
Brock isn't the next coming of Joe Montana?? Be prepared for a beat down by BV's sheople.

It seems to me that you get the most flak because you act like the sole factor in determining whether a guy should start to NDSU is "How far was their HS from Bismarck High School?" :) This has resulted in some pretty crazy stuff comments from you in the past. For example, you went after DJ very hard and claimed that he was half the back that Josh Horner was. Not to mention that you pitched a fit because NDSU signed Ryan Smith instead of Jake Miller. If you got your way and NDSU replaced McNorton with Horner and Smith with Miller, do you seriously think that NDSU would have won a national championship?

Now you want to bench Jensen and just posted something ripping on him again... OK, tell me that there's not a pattern there.

FWIW, Esley looked good in the spring game so he'll probably push Brock pretty hard, but if you are ready to hand the starting job to Esley that only proves that you're still suffering from the delusion that being from Bismarck trumps proven ability.

Twentysix
04-22-2012, 04:24 PM
It seems to me that you get the most flak because you act like the sole factor in determining whether a guy should start to NDSU is "How far was their HS from Bismarck High School?" :) This has resulted in some pretty crazy stuff comments from you in the past (examples: your anti-DJ rants and the fit you pitched because NDSU screwed signed Ryan Smith instead of some kid from Bismarck.)

Will this make you happier: Esley looked good in the spring game so he'll probably push Brock pretty hard. If you are ready to hand the starting job to Esley that only proves that you're still suffering from the delusion that being from Bismarck trumps proven ability.

Being from mandan trumps proven ability, being from bismarck doesnt prove anything.

4mcruenomore
04-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Isn't BHS awesome? Yes, it is.

Ferd
04-22-2012, 04:39 PM

I'm sure he'll come out strong next year, as well :rofl:

BadlandsBison
04-22-2012, 04:46 PM
It seems to me that you get the most flak because you act like the sole factor in determining whether a guy should start to NDSU is "How far was their HS from Bismarck High School?" :) This has resulted in some pretty crazy stuff comments from you in the past. For example, you went after DJ very hard and claimed that he was half the back that Josh Horner was. Not to mention that you pitched a fit because NDSU signed Ryan Smith instead of Jake Miller. If you got your way and NDSU replaced McNorton with Horner and Smith with Miller, do you seriously think that NDSU would have won a national championship?

Now you want to bench Jensen and just posted something ripping on him again... OK, tell me that there's not a pattern there.

FWIW, Esley looked good in the spring game so he'll probably push Brock pretty hard, but if you are ready to hand the starting job to Esley that only proves that you're still suffering from the delusion that being from Bismarck trumps proven ability.

Funny you mention Horner. I saw him run in practices and he actually seemed to be a really talented runner. Like big time contributor. I never understood why that situation went down like it did.

Back on topic

OrygunBison
04-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Hey folks, I was out on a training mission yesterday and didn't get to watch the game. I also read these 9 pages and didn't really learn much, at least about the offense, other than they will never beat our defense. Can someone give a good synopsis of the game, please? Scores, good runs/catches/blocking (if any), etc.

KilldeerBison
04-22-2012, 05:32 PM

Agree, I remember hearing one of our coaches making a remark about how familiar our defense gets with our offensive plays/sets, they can make some pretty good guesses before the ball is snapped.

stevdock
04-22-2012, 06:23 PM
Hey folks, I was out on a training mission yesterday and didn't get to watch the game. I also read these 9 pages and didn't really learn much, at least about the offense, other than they will never beat our defense. Can someone give a good synopsis of the game, please? Scores, good runs/catches/blocking (if any), etc.

Synopsis will be short. Score was 3-0. First team offense won only by somehow getting the ball to about the 25 and the old kicker (Keller I believe) knocked a FG right down the middle.

On Offense, Ojuri had a couple quick bursts, so did Jones. Okland had a couple nice catches and I believe Dunn had a nice one down the sideline and got smashed but held onto the ball for a first down. There was seriously no room to throw the ball at all basically the whole game. If there was room then the QB's had someone in their face and had to scramble and then it was too late. There was maybe 250 yards total offense between the two teams.

Most entertaining play of the game ended up being an incomplete pass. Don't remember who threw it but tried to force it into a tiny window. Ball got tipped 2 or 3 times and someone came in from out of bounds to catch the ball. Refs called it an interception but then after a replay system they overturned the call.

NDSUBowler
04-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Actually, I thought the most entertaining play was the wildcat formation where Jones took the snap and ran left, pitching to Okland running right, who pitched it to Stanford running left who then threw back to Okland, who seemed to be wide open, but the throw was off.

It was a sloppy play but really entertaining.

Bison"FANatic"
04-22-2012, 07:35 PM
Actually, I thought the most entertaining play was the wildcat formation where Jones took the snap and ran left, pitching to Okland running right, who pitched it to Stanford running left who then threw back to Okland, who seemed to be wide open, but the throw was off.

Ya that play was entertaining. If he would have had a half way descent throw the receiver was wide open down the side for a huge gain. Probably would have doubled the offensive output for the day.

Big surprise....... Our D is GOOD.

really tough to tell how good the offense is. I still have questions at offensive line. I believe that will be our determining factor. The D will be there next year unless we have injuries. We will go as far as our Offensive line will take us. There is a thin line between winning like we did last year and watching a sack fest the way we did against UNI 2 years ago. A lot of people to plug into different holes hopefully Fuchs will have them ready to go.

4mcruenomore
04-22-2012, 07:41 PM

Why did you go back and edit your original rant? Josh Hoerner isn't from BHS either, so you lost all credibility right there, dick head.

HerdBot
04-22-2012, 08:20 PM

++++ not only hilarious but factual! sounds like a political attack ad with truth

tony
04-22-2012, 08:41 PM
Why did you go back and edit your original rant? Josh Hoerner isn't from BHS either, so you lost all credibility right there, dick head.

Well, I edited the post because I didn't like to refer to Jake Miller as "some kid from Bismarck" so I went and looked up his name. When I got back, I decided to expand upon the theme of your method of choosing starters.

BTW, I never said Horner was from BHS, but no matter, I'll add you to the list of People With Whom I Have Zero Credibility and call it a day.

westnodak93bison
04-22-2012, 09:45 PM
A few of my observations. I was surprised our OL didn't get more of a push up front playing against mostly 3rd-4th string DT/NGs. I realize Perry played and our defense knows our offense really well but still. I think our OL has some serious work to do this summer. Not saying they can't get proficient by end of fall camp but I'm a little concerned.
I still think our QBs hold the ball too long. Maybe our D just covers so well that they screw up the timing? I'm kind of concerned about MLB. Olson is solid but we need more depth. Who has the best chance of earning the #2 and #3 MLB spots?

BisonNation11
04-22-2012, 09:53 PM

Another nice play I thought was the quick hand off to Ryan Smith on a short yardage play. I don't remember the formation but I don't believe he was in motion. Seemed to me he was right behind the guard, everyone pulled right and he went left. Dudzik sniffed it out, but I believe that play has potential when we need it. If that play is called at the right time against an over eager defense, the Bison will be putting up 6 on the board.

17>1
04-22-2012, 10:29 PM
My opinion, is that this was a spring game and it looked like it. I never played football or tried balancing that with going to college, but I think it's been a long school year for these guys. I'm thinking after a summer off from school, film and travel, with focusing on just lifting, that come fall, things will be looking a lot better. Add in the new recruits that will be chomping at the bit to try and earn a spot, that will only push the starters harder. With a handful of probable starters wearing street clothes on the sidelines yesterday, it felt like a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers coming in for mop up duty in a blowout. I am in the camp that our D knows our offense pretty well. How many of you noticed Colten Heagle come creeping up to the line of scrimmage before the snap, like he knew it was a run play? He was able to get into the backfield and disrupt the play by forcing the FB to block him right away. And all we've heard all last season and this spring is how good our D is and we're surprised when they come out and shut down our offense? A couple of things I did like was that Okland looked pretty solid and has a good frame for being a RFr. And the catch by Dunn on the sideline was very nice. I also think Olson will be fine as the starting MLB. He doesn't need to be flashy and have 12 tackles a game to do his job. As long as he is consistently in position to makes plays, that's all we should expect from him. Not being noticed can be a good thing as well. Looking very forward to the added players at RB and WR in the fall. GO BISON!!!

NDSU_grad
04-22-2012, 10:47 PM
I think it's important to remember that with the way the spring game is set up, each offense probably had about half of the possessions they would if it would have been a real game.

BisonNeil
04-22-2012, 11:51 PM
The most important stat is that there were only 2000 fewer Bison fans who attended a SPRING game than the Whioux averaged last season over 6 games. I think that is the most telling stat you need to know :)

Bison bison
04-23-2012, 12:38 AM
And then you need to remember that there is a difference between reported and actual. There were ALOT of people at the game yesterday. There were a lot of emppty seats at the alerus last year.

JustinTyem
04-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Why did you go back and edit your original rant? Josh Hoerner isn't from BHS either, so you lost all credibility right there, dick head.I here Vote 4M for the next coming of Lakes the Mangina!!!!!!

onbison09
04-23-2012, 01:53 AM
I here Vote 4M for the next coming of Lakes the Mangina!!!!!!

That escalated quickly! http://www.liveforfilms.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/anchorman_fight.jpg

NorthernBison
04-23-2012, 02:00 AM
I'm the most concerned with the kicking game. We cannot have an inconsistent punter and our kicker needs more leg strength. That FG was long enough but not really hit hard. Outside it would not have made it into a 5mph breeze

NDSUBowler
04-23-2012, 04:50 AM
I'm the most concerned with the kicking game. We cannot have an inconsistent punter and our kicker needs more leg strength. That FG was long enough but not really hit hard. Outside it would not have made it into a 5mph breeze
Pretty sure I thought that way about Voightlander going into last year. Def wasn't the case by the end of the year!

westnodak93bison
04-23-2012, 12:43 PM

I think what you are claiming is pretty much physically impossible. It was 43yds and he had good height and hit the stands?

Bison Dan
04-23-2012, 12:52 PM
[/B]

I think what you are claiming is pretty much physically impossible. It was 43yds and he had good height and hit the stands?

I agree I was pleased with the kicking game as we have 2 freshmen in those spots. Punter can boom the ball. He only punted 20 times that game. He'll be fine.

NorthernBison
04-23-2012, 01:16 PM
[/B]

I'm not going to argue about it because the sample size is one kick. My observation was simply an opinion based on what looked like a lazy kick. I paid attention to the opening kickoff and the 15 yard line is not real indicative of a strong leg. I'm not going to panic about it. I'm simply making that observation that our offensive gameplan and the gameday coaching strategy puts a great deal of pressure on our kicking game.

I should point out that I'm not used to sitting so flipping high in the stands so the perspective is different. I find it oddly disconcerting to be a bit alarmed by one kick (that was good) but I can't shake the feeling. I'm sure it will bother me until the season starts and everything goes well.

IndyBison
04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm not going to argue about it because the sample size is one kick. My observation was simply an opinion based on what looked like a lazy kick. I paid attention to the opening kickoff and the 15 yard line is not real indicative of a strong leg. I'm not going to panic about it. I'm simply making that observation that our offensive gameplan and the gameday coaching strategy puts a great deal of pressure on our kicking game.

I should point out that I'm not used to sitting so flipping high in the stands so the perspective is different. I find it oddly disconcerting to be a bit alarmed by one kick (that was good) but I can't shake the feeling. I'm sure it will bother me until the season starts and everything goes well.
One thing to remember is the new rules on kickoffs for this Fall. A touchback brings the ball back to the 25 so teams may try pinning teams deep and force a return. Since the ball is kicked from the 35, the placement for a kick out of bounds is the receiving team's 35. That's only a 10-yard difference so don't be surprised to see teams trying to kick the ball into the corner. If it goes into the end zone - 25. If it goes out of bounds - 35. Not a huge difference and maybe worth the risk. If the receiver fields it your coverage team can pin him against the sidelines for a short return.

KilldeerBison
04-23-2012, 02:22 PM
One thing to remember is the new rules on kickoffs for this Fall. A touchback brings the ball back to the 25 so teams may try pinning teams deep and force a return. Since the ball is kicked from the 35, the placement for a kick out of bounds is the receiving team's 35. That's only a 10-yard difference so don't be surprised to see teams trying to kick the ball into the corner. If it goes into the end zone - 25. If it goes out of bounds - 35. Not a huge difference and maybe worth the risk. If the receiver fields it your coverage team can pin him against the sidelines for a short return.

Good points, because of this rule change, kickers will likely be asked to try and drop the kick inside the 10 yard line with more emphasis on hang time?

NorthernBison
04-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Good points, because of this rule change, kickers will likely be asked to try and drop the kick inside the 10 yard line with more emphasis on hang time?

Good point. There's more to the whole kickoff thing than just the depth. Big difference between a high kick and a line drive. Also important to kick it at or outside the numbers. Jastram was pretty good at that.

Overall, I remember quite a few times last year where we gave up too many return yards and teams started between the 30 and 40. Something to improve on this year.

Bison03
04-23-2012, 04:11 PM
The most important stat is that there were only 2000 fewer Bison fans who attended a SPRING game than the Whioux averaged last season over 6 games. I think that is the most telling stat you need to know :)

Even closer in a few games. UND's attendance last year for Montana Western was 6,407 and Sioux Falls was 6,279. That's only 565 and 437 less then our spring game total. Even the biggest game of the year against USD for the conference title had only 1,558 more than the NDSU spring game. They might have gotten more had it been an arean football game at the Ralph.

BisonTeacher
04-23-2012, 04:30 PM
They might have gotten more had it been an arean football game at the Ralph.

Arean? Arena or Aryan? Was this a Freudian slip or done with purpose. Considering the collector Ralph was, it's pretty funny either way.

BisonNeil
04-23-2012, 05:30 PM

I only saw the replays since I was out of state, but it looked like it had a lot of altitude and got up high. Great for avoiding blocks, but it could get caught up in the wind. Anything over 40 yds is pretty good in my mind.

Bison03
04-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Arean? Arena or Aryan? Was this a Freudian slip or done with purpose. Considering the collector Ralph was, it's pretty funny either way.

Ha! Yep, definitely a typo, meant arena. Maybe the ghost of Ralph made me type it.

56BISON73
04-24-2012, 03:31 AM
I only saw the replays since I was out of state, but it looked like it had a lot of altitude and got up high. Great for avoiding blocks, but it could get caught up in the wind. Anything over 40 yds is pretty good in my mind.

Alot of his punts were low but had distance. He also takes way too much time getting the ball off. If it was a real game and a real rush there would have been some blocked punts.

HerdBot
04-24-2012, 03:44 AM
Good point. There's more to the whole kickoff thing than just the depth. Big difference between a high kick and a line drive. Also important to kick it at or outside the numbers. Jastram was pretty good at that.

Overall, I remember quite a few times last year where we gave up too many return yards and teams started between the 30 and 40. Something to improve on this year.

Actually I think we were one of the best teams in the nation covering kicks last year. Our average field positiln was incredible. I remember hearing that on the radio

TateMosersneighbor
04-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Jastram only kicked the ball out of bounds something like twice all year, which is amazing. These guys have big shoes to fill coming in and it's good that they are young too...it'll be nice to have them around for a few years.

bisonboone11
04-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I've seen some people say they think the defense will be better than last year. Do most people agree with that? I just find that tough to believe.

HerdBot
04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I've seen some people say they think the defense will be better than last year. Do most people agree with that? I just find that tough to believe.

D line is returning a rotation of everyone except Boyer. All the young guys will be bigger, stronger, and know the defense better.

Secondary will be better.

Linebacker's still a question mark but were talking about the return of Beck, Littlejohn, Olson, and Jemison witb Dinwiddie for depth plus a juco not to mention others

MNLonghorn10
04-25-2012, 10:26 PM
ndsu will be fine on defense, and it will kick the same amount of ass.

westnodak93bison
04-26-2012, 01:17 AM
D line is returning a rotation of everyone except Boyer. All the young guys will be bigger, stronger, and know the defense better.

Secondary will be better.

Linebacker's still a question mark but were talking about the return of Beck, Littlejohn, Olson, and Jemison witb Dinwiddie for depth plus a juco not to mention others

imho, the defense has POTENTIAL to be better. It will take a few games but we should know after the Youngstown game.