PDA

View Full Version : Laura Roesler and the ND All-Time List in the 800 meters.

Buffalo.Rider
04-20-2012, 04:20 AM
Note on this website:

http://www2.bhs.bismarck.k12.nd.us/athletics/bhsboystrack/alltimelist/top10agirls.htm

The 800 meter time for Laura Roesler. It shows 2:05.68 as the all-time North Dakota best. Yet in June 2008, when she was a sophomore at FArgo South, she ran 2:03.08 at the Jim Bush Invitational, which qualified her for the Olympic Trials.

The maintainer of the All-Time best website is dave_zittleman@bismarckschools.org

I e-mailed Mr. Zittleman about this error a couple years ago ... he refused at the time to correct it.

Buffalo.Rider
04-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Here is the link once more, non-truncated (I hope).

bhs.bismarck.k12.nd.us/athletics/bhsboystrack/alltimelist/top10agirls.htm

Add "www2." to the string before the bhs and it should get you there, in case you want to look.

Castor Troy
04-24-2012, 03:14 AM
Note on this website:

http://www2.bhs.bismarck.k12.nd.us/athletics/bhsboystrack/alltimelist/top10agirls.htm

The 800 meter time for Laura Roesler. It shows 2:05.68 as the all-time North Dakota best. Yet in June 2008, when she was a sophomore at FArgo South, she ran 2:03.08 at the Jim Bush Invitational, which qualified her for the Olympic Trials.

The maintainer of the All-Time best website is dave_zittleman@bismarckschools.org

I e-mailed Mr. Zittleman about this error a couple years ago ... he refused at the time to correct it.

Zit probably doesn't see it as an error. This is an unofficial list and is not maintained by the
state. This is all Zit's doing so I guess he can do what he wants. He is choosing to only
recognized performances that happen during the school year and that's fine with me.

Buffalo.Rider
04-24-2012, 05:17 PM
I still maintain that it is an error, as well as a misrepresentation of one of North Dakota's greatest athletes.

Jim Ryun's 3:55.3 mile was the official high school record for over 30 years (Until Alan Webb broke it in 2001),and he ran it as a senior, six weeks after the Kansas state high school meet. He ran this race against world-class athletes, including the world record holder Peter Snell - not against high school athletes. Alan Webb ran his race on 28 May with world-class athletes, including the world record holder.

Roesler ran her 2:03 as a sophomore, a week or so after the ND State High School meet, where the results of that meet - the Jim Bush - are recognized by every credible US track organization as well as the US Olympic Track and Field Committee. I cannot think of any justification for not giving Roesler credit for it.

Notorious
04-24-2012, 05:47 PM
I still maintain that it is an error, as well as a misrepresentation of one of North Dakota's greatest athletes.

Jim Ryun's 3:55.3 mile was the official high school record for over 30 years (Until Alan Webb broke it in 2001),and he ran it as a senior, six weeks after the Kansas state high school meet. He ran this race against world-class athletes, including the world record holder Peter Snell - not against high school athletes. Alan Webb ran his race on 28 May with world-class athletes, including the world record holder.

Roesler ran her 2:03 as a sophomore, a week or so after the ND State High School meet, where the results of that meet - the Jim Bush - are recognized by every credible US track organization as well as the US Olympic Track and Field Committee. I cannot think of any justification for not giving Roesler credit for it.

She's not from Bismarck High School ;) ....

Buffalo.Rider
04-24-2012, 06:02 PM
I might add that (it appears that) NDSU counts school records for its seniors up until the end of the U.S. Championships ... which are usually at the end of July, and sometimes into the first few days of August. Perhaps the thinking here, which can be applied to Roesler's case, is that they have to earn their trip to those meets based on what they did during the regular season or at the NCAA T&F Championships. If they have earned the trip then the times they set at the US Championships should count. In addition, I think this is the convention all colleges basically adhere to.

The Jim Bush meet is an Invitational.

missingnumber7
06-07-2012, 02:36 PM
It clearly states at the top of the website that the times must come during the school season and not summer meets, thus any times achieved after the ND State Meet would not count. I think the bigger feat is that Roesler is in the top 10 for the 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600.

tony
06-07-2012, 03:28 PM
It clearly states at the top of the website that the times must come during the school season and not summer meets, thus any times achieved after the ND State Meet would not count. I think the bigger feat is that Roesler is in the top 10 for the 100, 200, 400, 800, and 1600.

What an amazing runner!

BTW, I wonder how many top 10 lists Whitney Carlson would be on if those lists included Class B girls? I mean, when she graduated she held the official overall (Class A and B) records in the 200, 100 hurdles, 300 hurdles, and long jump. She's run an 11.7 100, 58 second 400 hurdles, and long jumped over 21'. That's three different track categories with three exceptional results.

Hammerhead
06-10-2012, 11:14 PM
There was a nice article about Laura in The Oregonian a few days back.
http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/index.ssf/2012/06/ncaa_track_championships_laura.html

Buffalo.Rider
06-11-2012, 05:32 AM
There was a nice article about Laura in The Oregonian a few days back.
http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/index.ssf/2012/06/ncaa_track_championships_laura.html

Thanks for sharing this with us. Great article.

Buffalo.Rider
06-11-2012, 05:43 AM

I understand that the website says only during the school season, but nearly everyone across the United States views the school season as extending into the summer months, with the cutoff generally being the US Championships (around Aug 1). Colleges use this convention too, including NDSU. Counting june and july times of high school students is especially common if a high school student is so good that he or she gets invited to a meet that occurs after the state meet. Laura Roesler was invited to the Jim Bush Invitational on the merits of what she did earlier in the season. Should she be penalized for being so darn good that she was the only ND high school athlete invited? If it had been a Bismarck athlete, (as someone else asked above) would Zittleman still punish the athlete by refusing to recognize their performance? I don't think so. Roesler's time at Jim Bush should be acknowledged by Zit as the ND all-time best ... every other state in the union would b/c the convention is to count high school times into the summer so there is no rational excuse for snubbing Laura in Zit's all-time list.

missingnumber7
06-11-2012, 04:51 PM
I understand that the website says only during the school season, but nearly everyone across the United States views the school season as extending into the summer months, with the cutoff generally being the US Championships (around Aug 1). Colleges use this convention too, including NDSU. Counting june and july times of high school students is especially common if a high school student is so good that he or she gets invited to a meet that occurs after the state meet. Laura Roesler was invited to the Jim Bush Invitational on the merits of what she did earlier in the season. Should she be penalized for being so darn good that she was the only ND high school athlete invited? If it had been a Bismarck athlete, (as someone else asked above) would Zittleman still punish the athlete by refusing to recognize their performance? I don't think so. Roesler's time at Jim Bush should be acknowledged by Zit as the ND all-time best ... every other state in the union would b/c the convention is to count high school times into the summer so there is no rational excuse for snubbing Laura in Zit's all-time list.No different than people who think that the NFL Preseason football games are real NFL games. You have an opinion and he does, the fact that there are no summer meets held in ND, probably has something to do with his view of the list.

Buffalo.Rider
06-11-2012, 10:25 PM
No different than people who think that the NFL Preseason football games are real NFL games.
I don't see the parallel logic. This is completely different. Laura got into the U.S. Olympic Trials based on her performance at the Jim Bush Invitational, if that does not validate the JBI as being real (beyond the other normal validating requirements), I do not know what would.

You have an opinion and he does ...
You are partially right here, I will grant you that. For example, it is my opinion that her 2:03.08 should count as the ND All-time best, and I think Dave Z is wrong for not including it. However, it is not my opinion that the main governing track bodies in the US and virtually all the other states count performances of high school athletes after their state track meets (generally up until about the end of the U.S. Championships) - this is a fact. (See my earlier post on Jim Ryun ... that convention has been in place since the 1960s).

semobison
06-12-2012, 12:27 AM
I don't see the parallel logic. This is completely different. Laura got into the U.S. Olympic Trials based on her performance at the Jim Bush Invitational, if that does not validate the JBI as being real (beyond the other normal validating requirements), I do not know what would.

You are partially right here, I will grant you that. For example, it is my opinion that her 2:03.08 should count as the ND All-time best, and I think Dave Z is wrong for not including it. However, it is not my opinion that the main governing track bodies in the US and virtually all the other states count performances of high school athletes after their state track meets (generally up until about the end of the U.S. Championships) - this is a fact. (See my earlier post on Jim Ryun ... that convention has been in place since the 1960s).

Zittelmans list is not in any way an official list of any kind. I know there are errors and older performances that are not included. Not bashing Zit by any means but his list is the only attempt out there as far as ND all time best performances.

Buffalo.Rider
06-12-2012, 02:16 AM
Zittelmans list is not in any way an official list of any kind. I know there are errors and older performances that are not included. Not bashing Zit by any means but his list is the only attempt out there as far as ND all time best performances.

Zittelman's list on the Bismarck High School website is a TERRIFIC contribution to ND high school track and field. The people who compiled the data (whoever they are) and have maintained it, have done a great service to the people who follow ND track and field.

Buffalo.Rider
06-18-2012, 02:53 AM
Well written and complementary article in the Fargo Forum today on Laura Roesler and her (probable) participation in the Olympic Trials. And the writer got his facts right this time :-)

Most of you have probably seen it, but in case not, here is a link to the article.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/364487/

zitt
08-12-2012, 02:46 AM

If you believe there are so many errors than you should send them to me! This is Dave Zittleman. I keep the all-time list for ND track and field. I am not sure even where to start with the negativity on this board, but I will reply with positives.

This list was started back in the 90's by New Rockford high school. It was up for a few years and then was taken down. I decided to get it going and make all the corrections. Times in ND were HAND TIMED and not converted to FAT until i got this changed 5 or 6 years ago while sitting on the sports advisory board. Times in ND used to have .24 subtracted from the time to make it a hand time... yes subtracted. I have spent thousands of hours at the state library lookng at micro film to put this list together. I have had to adjust times and make them FAT. There might be a time or distance that is missed, but they are few and i am not sure who what or when. Brad leingang is one of my assistant coaches and has researched every state meet and i will soon be posting all results back to 1908.

I also maintain the ND cross country site and the ND track & field site. Again if you think there are errors then why in the world wouldnt you email them to me? I have had a few poeple email me and 9 times out of 10 they were wrong and did not understand the whole hand timing thing.

As for snubbing Laura Roesler, you are wrong. I have great respect for laura and what she has done for ND track and what she is doing at Oregon. I had a nice visit with her and her family at Eugene during the Olympic Trials. She has a great opportunity to be an Olympian someday.

I dont include out of season performances for one reason. WHEN WE GO TO NATIONAL MEETS WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR OUR TEAM UNIFORMS OR TO RUN FOR OUR HIGH SCHOOL. NDHSAA DOES NOT ALLOW US AND THE MEET MANAGEMENT DOES NOT ALLOW US.

The athletes that I have had at National meets would clutter the list if we used these times!!!!!!!!!

I am all about ND track and cross country and not just about Bismarck High School. I get paid ZERO. The websites and list will come to an end very shortly however. If somebody would like to take them over please contact me.

Good luck to all athletes in the upcoming xc season.

sambini
08-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Coach as a fan and a parent of a former state track meet participant. I just want to say THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO. Just love your site and hats off to you and Darrell.

BisonJump
08-12-2012, 11:25 PM
I dont include out of season performances for one reason. WHEN WE GO TO NATIONAL MEETS WE ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WEAR OUR TEAM UNIFORMS OR TO RUN FOR OUR HIGH SCHOOL. NDHSAA DOES NOT ALLOW US AND THE MEET MANAGEMENT DOES NOT ALLOW US.

But are the still in high school and do they live in North Dakota?

westnodak93bison
08-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Why not include the national performances with an * ? The real true potential of a stud ND high school athlete seldom comes out performing in ND due to lack of competition or weather.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

zitt
08-13-2012, 12:04 AM
go for it.. the list is all yours

Buffalo.Rider
08-04-2015, 11:26 AM
Anyone out there know the competition status of Laura Roesler?
I know she was injured earlier this year, is training as a professional in San Antonio (etc, per Fargo Forum article), doing more distance & middle-distance workouts (versus the speed-oriented workouts she did in Oregon), etc ...
But I have not seen any news about her running this summer anywhere. I assume she is still recovering. But on the other hand her injury was over 6 months ago.
If she is not competing ... makes me wonder how she is getting ready for next year, an Olympic year.
Anyway, just curious. Nothing shows up in some of the usual places for T & F news.

BR

td577
08-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Anyone out there know the competition status of Laura Roesler?
I know she was injured earlier this year, is training as a professional in San Antonio (etc, per Fargo Forum article), doing more distance & middle-distance workouts (versus the speed-oriented workouts she did in Oregon), etc ...
But I have not seen any news about her running this summer anywhere. I assume she is still recovering. But on the other hand her injury was over 6 months ago.
If she is not competing ... makes me wonder how she is getting ready for next year, an Olympic year.
Anyway, just curious. Nothing shows up in some of the usual places for T & F news.

BR

This was just less than 2 months ago: http://www.inforum.com/sports/3765296-year-after-running-national-title-laura-roesler-still-has-her-sights-set-2016

Buffalo.Rider
08-21-2015, 04:57 PM
Just looked over the iaaf.org website, to see who is participating in each track and field event.

The 800m for women ... there are 22 women in the world who have run under 2:00 this year . That is pretty amazing. I think the 800m and 1500m are at all-time highs with women athletes. The US record in the 1500m was recently broken by Shannon Rowbury - formerly held by Mary Decker (now Mary Slaney) way back in about 1985. Jennifer Simpson in the 1500m has also broken Slaney's old record. In the 800m in the US, quite a few women under 2:00 this year, only top 3 went to Beijing.

Love to see Laura Roesler make it to the Olympics next year, but both the 800m and 1500m are loaded in the US right now. I don't think she would entertain the 400m. (Might also mention, a freshman at Oregon ran a 1:59 and change this year at the NCAAs - which was a huge PR for the young woman - so she has a great chance of eclipsing some of Laura's accomplishments there, which is saying something.) Roesler is going to have a fight in making top 3 next year in the O.Trials.

Castor Troy has posted (old post) that he thought Roesler had the potential to run 1:56 territory ... I agree. Glad to see she is training for the 800m now, rather than the sprinter biased training she had at Oregon.