PDA

View Full Version : Grant Maris

tony
04-13-2012, 05:24 AM
He was a visitor this fall but didn't appear on the signing list (that I know of), but this article says that he is coming to NDSU to play football.

http://www.salisburypost.com/Sports/041312-sports-briefs-qcd

Apparently he is a pretty good baseball player (shocking) - the article mentions him going 4-4 at the plate and stealing 5 bases in the game.

Kermit
04-13-2012, 05:37 AM
He was a visitor this fall but didn't appear on the signing list (that I know of), but this article says that he is coming to NDSU to play football.

Apparently he is a pretty good baseball player (shocking) - the article mentions him going 4-4 at the plate and stealing 5 bases in the game.

http://preps.gainesville.com/news/article/31963/a-to-z-with-grant-maris/

"I’m going to North Dakota State University. I’m walking on the football team up there. I’m just going to focus on football. That is the town (Fargo) where my grandpa grew up."

jarhead
04-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't feel we need to welcome the Maris family to Fargo, this will always be their home. It is nice to welcome them to the Bison football program. Nice to have
you aboard Grant.

HerdBot
04-13-2012, 01:45 PM
That's awesome . Suprised hes playing football. Tough name to live up to in baseball. People of North Dakota will be rooting for him. Sounds like a well spoken and respectful kid with some good genes. 6-2, 195? He will probably get a kick out of the legitimate home run king billboard in Fargo. Linebacker or safety?

Bison Dan
04-13-2012, 01:54 PM
That's awesome . Suprised hes playing football. Tough name to live up to in baseball. People of North Dakota will be rooting for this kid. Sounds like a well spoken and respectful kid has some good genes. 6-2, 195? Linebacker or safety?

He will probably get a kick out of the legitimate home run king billboard in Fargo

Sounds like he has wheels, so you never know. He'll have to have a great work ethic to get some playing time. I'm sure he'll Rshirt.

HerdBot
04-13-2012, 01:57 PM
Sounds like he has wheels, so you never know. He'll have to have a great work ethic to get some playing time. I'm sure he'll Rshirt.

What did he play in high school?

roadwarrior
04-13-2012, 02:01 PM
He will probably get a kick out of the legitimate home run king billboard in Fargo.

Grant has most likely seen the sign. He has probably been in Fargo every summer with his family for the golf tournament. Fargo will not be a unknown place for him when he gets here for school.

Bison Dan
04-13-2012, 02:10 PM
What did he play in high school?

He was at a team makers luncheon last fall sitting with Saul. Just heard that he's fast and a good athlete.

HerdBot
04-13-2012, 02:16 PM
He was at a team makers luncheon last fall sitting with Saul. Just heard that he's fast and a good athlete.

I searched his name with the google machine and hes listed as a rb, wr, and lb. Another site says safety.

Is he playing this year or 2013?

344Johnson
04-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Well Grandpa scored quite a few TD's in one game. Something like 6 or 7 special teams TD's?

HerdBot
04-13-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlZ2yXVillE

Here's another one seems like he has no running room yet he always drags people for positive yards. Tough runner with good speed http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwESB4plgU

stevdock
04-13-2012, 06:06 PM
From what I've read I would guess a LB/SS type. My guess is very shortly he will be one that is on every single special teams outfit.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Well Grandpa scored quite a few TD's in one game. Something like 6 or 7 special teams TD's?

He was a helluva fb player from what ive heard/read. Yeah he had 6/7 in a game before think it was against a grand forks team, not positive though.

skolbrother
04-13-2012, 06:55 PM
I think this is cool as hell!

Answer Guy
04-14-2012, 02:51 AM

That was Al Bundy.

1998braves64
04-14-2012, 03:48 AM
2 kickoff returns, 1 punt return, 1 run, and 1 pick six according to this (http://justgriff.tripod.com/Baseball_Immortality.pdf)

tjbison
04-14-2012, 03:49 AM
the next Forrest Gump?

CaBisonFan
04-14-2012, 03:56 AM
We'll always take a good athlete with the right attitude. Hope it works out. Welcome to North Dakota State Grant.

DjKyRo
04-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Great to hear he's going to try his hand at football. Not to try and itemize a student-athlete, but this could be a cool quiet marketing thing - people in eastern North Dakota are still crazy over Roger Maris and hearing that his grandson plays at NDSU could attract a few fans. Hope he does well and glad to have him on the team.

tjbison
04-14-2012, 12:28 PM
I think it would be more of a story line if he played Baseball, give him Number 9 hell yeah.

I am one that still think its a shame Roger isnt in the Hall of Fame, but thats just me

sorr thread derail

HerdBot
04-14-2012, 12:51 PM
I think it would be more of a story line if he played Baseball, give him Number 9 hell yeah.

I am one that still think its a shame Roger isnt in the Hall of Fame, but thats just me

sorr thread derail

Or who knows... he could take the Zack Wentz route... walkon football and later try baseball. That would be a huge boost for baseball.

Anyway after watching highlights its obvious hes going to be a good football player. Hes got the size, speed, and skill to play on offense or defense . I think he could even play running back if he works hard (foot work needs to get better )

coldspot
04-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Or who knows... he could take the Zack Wentz route... walkon football and later try baseball. That would be a huge boost for baseball.

Anyway after watching highlights its obvious hes going to be a good football player. Hes got the size, speed, and skill to play on offense or defense . I think he could even play running back if he works hard (foot work needs to get better )

Grant Maris Baseball Stats (http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/hU3DlAjA8ESR9lAwyH5XTA/baseball-spring-12/stats-grant-maris.htm)

and there's another Maris on the team, Blaise, who is a pretty darn good ball player for a freshman

bri-dog
04-14-2012, 03:19 PM
A little snippet from yesterday's baseball game:

Salisbury’s baseball team lost 10-0 on Thursday to St. Francis Catholic of Gainesville, Fla., in the Hall of Fame Classic being played in Orlando.
It was a thrill for SHS coach Scott Maddox to coach against two of Roger Maris’ sons — one wore No. 9 (Roger’s number) and the other wore No. 61 (the number of homers Roger belted in 1961 for the New York Yankees).
Unfortunately, playing against a couple of Maris’ grandsons was no picnic for Salisbury (3-14). Senior center fielder Grant Maris, who is 6-foot-2 and 192 pounds and headed to North Dakota State to play football, went 4-for-4 and stole five bases to wreck the Hornets almost by himself.
“The center fielder is definitely a D-I kind of player and can really move,” Maddox said. “The other Maris (freshman Blaise) caught and was pretty good as well.”

coldspot
04-14-2012, 08:26 PM

Salisbury’s baseball team lost 10-0 on Thursday to St. Francis Catholic of Gainesville, Fla., in the Hall of Fame Classic being played in Orlando.
It was a thrill for SHS coach Scott Maddox to coach against two of Roger Maris’ sons — one wore No. 9 (Roger’s number) and the other wore No. 61 (the number of homers Roger belted in 1961 for the New York Yankees).
Unfortunately, playing against a couple of Maris’ grandsons was no picnic for Salisbury (3-14). Senior center fielder Grant Maris, who is 6-foot-2 and 192 pounds and headed to North Dakota State to play football, went 4-for-4 and stole five bases to wreck the Hornets almost by himself.
“The center fielder is definitely a D-I kind of player and can really move,” Maddox said. “The other Maris (freshman Blaise) caught and was pretty good as well.”

Let's open up a Florida pipeline for baseball. Lots of talent down there that ends up going D2 that is more than capable off playing D1

HerdBot
06-26-2012, 08:16 PM
Kolpack had an article yesterday about the Roger Maris golf tournament and he had a little blurb about Grant already being enrolled in summer school and said he will be walking on

MAKBison
06-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Shoot if he makes the team and they give him #9 or #61 it is an instant standing-o when he takes the field. Roger Maris is still the legitimate
record holder in a lot of peoples minds---esp. NDans. I just hope the kid enjoys NDSU and Fargo----I am sure he will.

SamsRams
06-29-2012, 01:46 AM
Kolpack had an article yesterday about the Roger Maris golf tournament and he had a little blurb about Grant already being enrolled in summer school and said he will be walking on

I am really interested to see who pans out from this walk on class. Years past it has been ND, MN and WI kids, but this year there is a FL (with big ND ties) and an AZ kid that we know of.

Walk ons that we know of
Werness (MN)
Hardacker (MN)
Yazzie (AZ)
Maris (FL)
Barneson (WI)
Arp (ND)

who else??

HerdBot
06-29-2012, 01:51 AM
I am really interested to see who pans out from this walk on class. Years past it has been ND, MN and WI kids, but this year there is a FL (with big ND ties) and an AZ kid that we know of.

Walk ons that we know of
Werness (MN)
Yazzie (AZ)
Maris (FL)
Barneson (WI)
Arp (ND)

who else??

There was that running back from Wisconsin too. Great highlights but subpar combine numbers. I haven't heard his name since signing day... Perkins?

Cant forget about Enyi either

SamsRams
06-29-2012, 02:12 AM
There was that running back from Wisconsin too. Great highlights but subpar combine numbers. I haven't heard his name since signing day... Perkins?

Good memory

Eric Perkins from Kewaskum

Not including Enyi as he will be a junior, but you have a valid point

Walk ons that we know of
Werness (MN)
Hardacker (MN)
Yazzie (AZ)
Maris (FL)
Barneson (WI)
Arp (ND)
Perkins (WI)

HerdBot
06-29-2012, 02:58 AM
Good memory

Eric Perkins from Kewaskum

Not including Enyi as he will be a junior, but you have a valid point

Walk ons that we know of
Werness (MN)
Hardacker (MN)
Yazzie (AZ)
Maris (FL)
Barneson (WI)
Arp (ND)
Perkins (WI)

Perkins highlights ... is it just me or does this kid have some of the quickest feet youve ever seen? Must play at a lower level of competition because there is no way a kid with these highlights doesnt get a scholly. Hes has amazing balance and change of direction. Very fluid runner and hes a receiver.

Here are junior highlights ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxskUaBK2hs

JustinTyem
06-30-2012, 12:00 AM
Perkins highlights ... is it just me or does this kid have some of the quickest feet youve ever seen? Must play at a lower level of competition because there is no way a kid with these highlights doesnt get a scholly. Hes has amazing balance and change of direction. Very fluid runner and hes a receiver.

Here are junior highlights ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxskUaBK2hsKewaskum has a lower level in conference,but a good school football program in the playoffs.

HerdBot
06-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Kewaskum has a lower level in conference,but a good school football program in the playoffs.

I figured. But this kid looks great on tape. If you watch his foot speed and balance its hard to not be impressed. He just explodes through the line. I know Wisconsin had a really good group of running backs last ye

JustinTyem
06-30-2012, 12:32 AM
I figured. But this kid looks great on tape. If you watch his foot speed and balance its hard to not be impressed. He just explodes through the line. I know Wisconsin had a really good group of running backs last yeCheck out this kid,I thought he would have gotten some free school paper too......... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DwemFSZzTg BTW-You might notice who the Qb is ........

HerdBot
04-15-2013, 02:08 AM
I don't see Grant on the roster. Roster glitch, real?

Bison"FANatic"
04-15-2013, 03:30 PM
He was on there at the beginning of April when I printed off the roster but you are correct in that he has been removed now.

Gully
04-15-2013, 03:47 PM
He tweeted something about "new beginings" a couple of weeks ago so I was wondering if something was up but decided not to post anything because it was pure speculation.

Herd12
04-18-2013, 01:04 AM
So anyone got any kind of knowledge/confirmation on this situation?

SamsRams
04-18-2013, 01:52 AM
so anyone got any kind of knowledge/confirmation on this situation?

he gone..........

EagleBison
07-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Heard, not confirmed, he is gone from football due to injury, not sure what, but he may try out for the baseball team. Wish him the best.

HerdBot
07-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Heard, not confirmed, he is gone from football due to injury, not sure what, but he may try out for the baseball team. Wish him the best.

Maris and baseball in the FM area just seems right. Hope its true