PDA

View Full Version : Izzo's Den

tony
04-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Probably want to go to Forum sports and check out the Coach Vigen interview. The existence of Ryan Stanford is confirmed (apparently he went 6 for 7 in the scrimmage.) Still raw though. You'd think that being from a big school in Arizona, he'd be more polished than Esley or Carson but apparently not - might be the offense he ran (spread) made him more of an improviser than a timing-route technician that NDSU would like.

Vigen is pretty happy about WR depth. Ryan Smith is great, of course, but Wahlo has made big strides. Vraa and Gebhart have bounced back from injury. Moody and Okland have a lot of potential. Vigen talked about being able to play 6 at WR.

Offensive line is a concern, of course. Pomerenke is pencilled in at RT despite missing the pass scrimmage. Hinz moved to tackle. LaVoy pulled a hammy running the 40 and missed the first couple days of spring ball so his progress is pretty impressive.

Note: The above is a mix of what Vigen said and my impressions of what he said.

OrygunBison
04-12-2012, 05:11 PM
Link? I'm too lazy to f around with the Foolum website.

tcbison
04-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Link? I'm too lazy to f around with the Foolum website.

Try the Bison Media Blog. http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

I (http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/)t shows up on the right side about 4 stories down.

OrygunBison
04-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Try the Bison Media Blog. http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

I (http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/)t shows up on the right side about 4 stories down.

Thanks, that was a good listen.

HerdBot
04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Makes it sound like we have 7 solid guys but no super stars. I hope one can step up.

4mcruenomore
04-12-2012, 11:54 PM
I see a former member of BV from MN already trying to blow off our 2 QB's from Bismarck in favor of Stanford. Annoying.

Twentysix
04-13-2012, 02:55 PM
I see a former member of BV from MN already trying to blow off our 2 QB's from Bismarck in favor of Stanford. Annoying.

If stanford has the talent he should get the job. Local makes no difference to me, just put the best man in. Wentz's size makes me want him to be the most talented though.

THEsocalledfan
04-13-2012, 05:38 PM
If stanford has the talent he should get the job. Local makes no difference to me, just put the best man in. Wentz's size makes me want him to be the most talented though.

Please tell me "the job" is for backup. I take no issue then.

Twentysix
04-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Please tell me "the job" is for backup. I take no issue then.

The job could be for anything, if you are begruding positions based on where a player is from you have no business here imo.

THEsocalledfan
04-13-2012, 06:29 PM
The job could be for anything, if you are begruding positions based on where a player is from you have no business here imo.

The idea that the top job is up for grab is down right sillly no matter where the player is from. I guess I am not following......

TransAmBison
04-13-2012, 06:33 PM
The job could be for anything, if you are begruding positions based on where a player is from you have no business here imo.You are misunderstanding what his question is. He is just saying that he would think it to be silly banter to think somebody is going to take away the starting position from Jensen.

NorthernBison
04-13-2012, 06:46 PM
You are misunderstanding what his question is. He is just saying that he would think it to be silly banter to think somebody is going to take away the starting position from Jensen.

Amazing what happens when our sensitive friend from Dickinson imagines a "message" in comments made by "you know who" on a blog. Wow.

4mcruenomore
04-14-2012, 02:22 AM
Amazing what happens when our sensitive friend from Dickinson imagines a "message" in comments made by "you know who" on a blog. Wow.

Quit being a Fucktard, I didn't imagine anything.

NorthernBison
04-14-2012, 02:28 AM
BS. The comments I read said Thorton and Stanford were both getting reps and Wentz was hurt. All true and he wasn't dissing anybody. Unless that was a different blog

4mcruenomore
04-14-2012, 02:30 AM
BS. The comments I read said Thorton and Stanford were both getting reps and Wentz was hurt. All true and he wasn't dissing anybody. Unless that was a different blog

He stated he was pulling for Stanford to be #2. I don't have the exact quote, could have been on his FB as far as I can remember.
I will read into this what I want, I know the poster:

"Carson Wentz hurt an ankle and will be held out rest of spring now. Lets see if ryan stanford is ready to step up."

NorthernBison
04-14-2012, 12:53 PM
That is the quote that set you off? Fine. You get an "A" for imagination. Think whatever you want.

4mcruenomore
04-14-2012, 01:33 PM
That is the quote that set you off? Fine. You get an "A" for imagination. Think whatever you want.

There is a belief of lakes, and lots of others on BV that a recruit is going to be awesome if they are from another state, big highschool. That is a fact.

THEsocalledfan
04-14-2012, 01:55 PM
There is a belief of lakes, and lots of others on BV that a recruit is going to be awesome if they are from another state, big highschool. That is a fact.

As for myself, I would say:

1. I am always a little skeptical of skill players from ND, particularly if a small school.
2. With that said, I think the play on the field makes the determination, not crazy fixation with players before they even see the field like Lakes.

So, I must be slightly guilty.

Twentysix
04-14-2012, 02:06 PM
You are misunderstanding what his question is. He is just saying that he would think it to be silly banter to think somebody is going to take away the starting position from Jensen.

Jensen is human and could be injured. I don't think Jensen will be losing the starting position due to skill. But, the amount of geographical praise people get is stupid imo, if you are truly the best you better be the starter, i dont care if you are from richardton or dubai. Wentz has the best physical size on the team imo if he can develop an overall skill greater than Jensens(and the remaining QB's on the roster) at any point in eithers career he should become the starter. Thesocalled fan is coming off like Jensen is going to be our best qb ever and he will obviously serve out all his remaining years.

THEsocalledfan
04-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Jensen is human and could be injured. I don't think Jensen will be losing the starting position due to skill. But, the amount of geographical praise people get is stupid imo, if you are truly the best you better be the starter, i dont care if you are from richardton or dubai. Wentz has the best physical size on the team imo if he can develop an overall skill greater than Jensens at any point in eithers career he should become the starter. Thesocalled fan is coming off like Jensen is going to be our best qb ever and he will obviously serve out all his remaining years.

I admit I am quite a fan of Jensen, to be sure; make not mistake about that. Why? I watched NDSU play last season. Pretty simple explanation. Why folks want to "throw him to the curb" after he won a National Title just because a ND kids is bigger is the very definition of exactly what you just claimed to dispise. (ie liking a player just because he is "from somewhere.")

If Jensen plays anywhere near as well again next year, and the following year, he DOES have a chance of going down in Bison lore with the likes of Walker, Simdorn, and Bentrim. He still has a lot to do to get to that level, but boy, I'm feeling pretty darn good about a guy who, even when hurt, did not throw many picks and led them to a national title.

We need a good backup, no doubt. But it feels like some want to minimize what Jensen did last year. I challenge them to go back and watch the Minnesota game and heck, even the SIU game where even though he struggled most of the game, he made on unvelievably huge throw with the game on the line (my vote for his best pass of the year). I will never understand why some cannot fully support Brock Jensen. He is a player and I am thankful he starts for NDSU.

Twentysix
04-14-2012, 02:35 PM
I admit I am quite a fan of Jensen, to be sure; make not mistake about that. Why? I watched NDSU play last season. Pretty simple explanation. Why folks want to "throw him to the curb" after he won a National Title just because a ND kids is bigger is the very definition of exactly what you just claimed to dispise. (ie liking a player just because he is "from somewhere.")

If Jensen plays anywhere near as well again next year, and the following year, he DOES have a chance of going down in Bison lore with the likes of Walker, Simdorn, and Bentrim. He still has a lot to do to get to that level, but boy, I'm feeling pretty darn good about a guy who, even when hurt, did not throw many picks and led them to a national title.

We need a good backup, no doubt. But it feels like some want to minimize what Jensen did last year. I challenge them to go back and watch the Minnesota game and heck, even the SIU game where even though he struggled most of the game, he made on unvelievably huge throw with the game on the line (my vote for his best pass of the year). I will never understand why some cannot fully support Brock Jensen. He is a player and I am thankful he starts for NDSU.

You know who tebows backup was at florida? ;) The best man should always be able to take the job. Right now that person is Jensen, but to think he cannot be unseated is crazy.

http://www.alligator.org/sports/football/image_fe95d801-3277-50cd-b334-f03b10d05ed0.html

THEsocalledfan
04-15-2012, 08:39 PM
You know who tebows backup was at florida? ;) The best man should always be able to take the job. Right now that person is Jensen, but to think he cannot be unseated is crazy.

http://www.alligator.org/sports/football/image_fe95d801-3277-50cd-b334-f03b10d05ed0.html

So Cam Newton unseated Tebow for the starting job before Tebow graduated? And old Tebow, he had no success, correct?

I do completely agree with you that when Jensen graduates, someone else will start.

HerdBot
04-16-2012, 12:54 AM

Tebow Newton doesn't matter. Unless your starter is faltering, you dont mess with success. The Packers backup qb is pretty damn good. Could you imagine replacing Aaron Rogers with him because he had a better pre season ? Joe Montana or Steve Young? The QB isnt some easy interchangeable position. Its the most important position on the team bar none. And in college, you only have 2 or maybe 3 years if your lucky. Some day Stanford, Wentz, or Thorton will get their chance and it will be due to injury, graduation, or the starter sucking really bad. Odds are its not due to sucking. No reason to think anything else

tcbison
04-16-2012, 01:00 AM
I agree with twentysix that to me I don't care where the kids come from when they get to NDSU they are all Bison in my mind. The best players should see the field. Brock Jensen has showed in games he should be the starter and right now we have no proof that he shouldn't be. His stats this last year were incredible for a NDSU QB and most importantly he doesn't turnover the ball or take many sacks. Oh and he is 5-1 in the playoffs with a National Championship win on his resume.

SDbison
04-17-2012, 02:53 PM
I agree with twentysix that to me I don't care where the kids come from when they get to NDSU they are all Bison in my mind. The best players should see the field. Brock Jensen has showed in games he should be the starter and right now we have no proof that he shouldn't be. His stats this last year were incredible for a NDSU QB and most importantly he doesn't turnover the ball or take many sacks. Oh and he is 5-1 in the playoffs with a National Championship win on his resume. Not to mention Brocks leadership and toughness..........he is a competitor and can make things happen with his size. He has overcome the blind side injury (collarbone?) at Youngstown and ongoing turf toe. For a big guy he can run and take the punishment. Not sure how the other QB's would do in game situations taking big hits. With more WR's to throw to and another year of experience Brocks passing game will only get better. Also, it looks like NDSU is loaded at RB. Hopefully NDSU can take a commanding lead and the D play shutdown so that the other QB's get some good amount of play time (including passing plays) next season.

THEsocalledfan
04-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Not to mention Brocks leadership and toughness..........he is a competitor and can make things happen with his size. He has overcome the blind side injury (collarbone?) at Youngstown and ongoing turf toe. For a big guy he can run and take the punishment. Not sure how the other QB's would do in game situations taking big hits. With more WR's to throw to and another year of experience Brocks passing game will only get better. Also, it looks like NDSU is loaded at RB. Hopefully NDSU can take a commanding lead and the D play shutdown so that the other QB's get some good amount of play time (including passing plays) next season.

THAT, my friends says it all. I would not call Brock "big", but anything nice like this from SDbison pretty much proves my point.

heffray
04-17-2012, 05:32 PM

I love North Dakota, don't get me wrong. But we should get MORE excited for recruits from outside the state, for lots of reasons:

- It means our recruiters and our program are doing a great job of getting nationwide talent.
- Those recruits should be better and, by and large, are. It's simple math. There are much MUCH less people who live in North Dakota, and therefore the amount of talent and competitiveness goes down. Also, for the majority of the schools in ND, football is not the main sport. It's class B basketball. Even then, I don't see many ND High School grads getting huge D1 basketball schollies. We just don't have enough talent to make a stand-out football player mean much to a school like NDSU who has higher standards than anyone else in the state.

All of this said, of course, if you're from ND and you went to NDSU and you follow the football team, you HAVE to root for a kid from ND to have success as a Bison. Seeing Beck win the MVP of the Championship game was awesome.

Bison bison
04-17-2012, 05:33 PM
THAT, my friends says it all. I would not call Brock "big", but anything nice like this from SDbison pretty much proves my point.

My God, it IS the End Times!!!

344Johnson
04-17-2012, 06:16 PM
I love North Dakota, don't get me wrong. But we should get MORE excited for recruits from outside the state, for lots of reasons:

- It means our recruiters and our program are doing a great job of getting nationwide talent.
- Those recruits should be better and, by and large, are. It's simple math. There are much MUCH less people who live in North Dakota, and therefore the amount of talent and competitiveness goes down. Also, for the majority of the schools in ND, football is not the main sport. It's class B basketball. Even then, I don't see many ND High School grads getting huge D1 basketball schollies. We just don't have enough talent to make a stand-out football player mean much to a school like NDSU who has higher standards than anyone else in the state.

All of this said, of course, if you're from ND and you went to NDSU and you follow the football team, you HAVE to root for a kid from ND to have success as a Bison. Seeing Beck win the MVP of the Championship game was awesome.

I admit it is just a tad sweeter when I see Ryan Smith make a play. Or Jemison as well. Or hear that Esley or Wentz are looking good. I am naturally going to smile a bit when I see dudes who used to embarass me on the football field embarass some fool from somewhere that probably had never heard of Fargo.

That said, I still absolutely love watching anyone in a Bison uniform do anything well. Just a slight bonus when the beef is homegrown. However, when we play Minnesota, I cheer extra for the guys from there and the Cities inparticular to have great games.

NorthernBison
04-17-2012, 06:48 PM

Yes it was. He's a great athlete by any standards but he's not a freak of nature. Very good speed. Not real big.

He gets so many snaps because "he gets it". He's smart. It doesn't take him five mistakes to figure out what NOT to do. I don't care how many highlight reel hits some of the "big school" recruits make on their high school teams. If they are in the wrong place when the play happens on Saturday, they are worthless to our team. Our coaches figure that out real quick. It's why a bunch of recruits never see the Fargodome turf when the ball is live (regardless of how big their high school was).

When Joe Mays got his NFL shot, there were plenty of people who said he wasn't fast enough for that level. I loved his comment about how he made up for speed by getting to the correct spot. I think he said something about no value in getting to the "wrong spot faster".

HerdBot
04-18-2012, 12:32 AM

I agree we need to find talent from all over the country. But i think PRIDE is a big time factor.

You take a talented kid from California. Hes an inch taller and a little faster than the kid from North Dakota. The difference is to the California kid, we weren't his first choice. Hes happy but its not his dream job. He had dreams of playing for USC.

Take that kid from North Dakota who grew up watching the team and he comes from a Bison family. This is his dream job. He already knows the history and tradition. He's been dreaming of running through that tunnel since he was 8 years old. He grew up watching guys like Tyler Roehl and watched him destroy the Gophs on TV with his dad. He already knows what kind of offense or defense we run. Its his dream.

That kid is going to work harder. He's going to study the Playbook better. Hes going to listen to the coaches. Hes going to sacrifice his body because he cares. Hes going to want to win because he actually hates the other team. He is a fan first. When he sees a player slack off, he is pissed and coaches them because he cares. No personal agenda. All team. Those are the best players. And when they are super talented like Austin Richard, you get yourself one hell of a player

Not saying kids from out of state dont have pride. They have it. Look at guys like Brock Jensen and Stece Walker. They came from 500+ miles and didn't know much about our program. They learned and were inspired. You cant not feed off the energy. They have different motivations and feel passed over and want to prove something They are loyal to recruiters who took a chance on them and dont want to let teammates down. They want to win too

But the area kid has just a little more pride. Maybe not better but different. Need both kind of guys

4mcruenomore
04-18-2012, 02:02 AM
I am shocked that people are actually saying having kids from ND on the team is important.

56BISON73
04-18-2012, 02:25 AM
I am shocked that people are actually saying having kids from ND on the team is important.

Yes it is--- but I dont understand why its a talking point and some make a big deal about it. Every school recruits with in its own borders. They also reach out to talent from neighboring states and from across the nation.

HerdBot
04-18-2012, 07:28 PM

Me too. I used to think we didnt need ND guys but after seeing the results Ive changed my opinion.

What shocks me is the fact we only have 1 Juco on the roster right now. 2 if you count Didwiddie and hes a 3 year player. I think its a statement of where the program is at

heffray
04-20-2012, 05:42 PM
...That kid is going to work harder. He's going to study the Playbook better. Hes going to listen to the coaches. Hes going to sacrifice his body because he cares. Hes going to want to win because he actually hates the other team. He is a fan first. When he sees a player slack off, he is pissed and coaches them because he cares. No personal agenda. All team. Those are the best players...

I think that your point here is kind of off the mark. Maybe they WANT to work harder and they WANT to see their team succeed more, but, maybe even not. I would hope that our coaches have recruited players from out of state (and from in state, for that matter) that don't need a "this-is-my-state" mentallity to do all those things you said. They should just naturally want it and be a team player because they know and understand football. That said, too, some of the best standout players on football teams, national championship winning football teams, are NOT all about the team and more about themselves, and they still help the team succeed and succeed themselves.

Sure, deep down there may be a difference in mentality of why they are playing the way they are playing, but if it makes a difference on the field, i'd say it's pretty negligable.

HerdBot
04-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I think that your point here is kind of off the mark. Maybe they WANT to work harder and they WANT to see their team succeed more, but, maybe even not. I would hope that our coaches have recruited players from out of state (and from in state, for that matter) that don't need a "this-is-my-state" mentallity to do all those things you said. They should just naturally want it and be a team player because they know and understand football. That said, too, some of the best standout players on football teams, national championship winning football teams, are NOT all about the team and more about themselves, and they still help the team succeed and succeed themselves.

Sure, deep down there may be a difference in mentality of why they are playing the way they are playing, but if it makes a difference on the field, i'd say it's pretty negligable.

Skill over will. Will over skill. Its text book. Ideally you want skill and will. I think most of our guys have both but when your a fan its even more prevalent