04-07-2012, 06:20 PM
anybody at the scrimmage today, please update us guys who could not make it

MNLonghorn10
04-07-2012, 06:29 PM
0 chance at repeat from what i saw

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Mr. Burgundy
04-07-2012, 06:31 PM
Matt Jones was the star. Running inside and out, catching balls, clearly the one player who stood out.

Appeared that Wentz sprained an ankle. Wentz absolutely ran over a DB. Our defense is bigtime. They hit and hit and hit.

Hard to analyze the QB's as it was very windy. Hearing good things about the WR's. #63 at DT is a walk on who is very strong. Schwartz or soemthing. STRONG and causing problems. He appears to be a kid who will find himself on the field. Tight ends looked big and strong.

Good news for our offense, it will get easier when they play against other teams. Defense is just stacked. They have a swagger. They hit you, they cause fumbles, they cheer. It is a fun group to watch. Alot of guys held out today.

MNLonghorn10
04-07-2012, 06:50 PM
Matt Jones was the star. Running inside and out, catching balls, clearly the one player who stood out.

Appeared that Wentz sprained an ankle. Wentz absolutely ran over a DB. Our defense is bigtime. They hit and hit and hit.

Hard to analyze the QB's as it was very windy. Hearing good things about the WR's. #63 at DT is a walk on who is very strong. Schwartz or soemthing. STRONG and causing problems. He appears to be a kid who will find himself on the field. Tight ends looked big and strong.

Good news for our offense, it will get easier when they play against other teams. Defense is just stacked. They have a swagger. They hit you, they cause fumbles, they cheer. It is a fun group to watch. Alot of guys held out today.

Noticed that back in summer of 2010..swag! Glad to gear its not changin after losin some good pieces

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

pucknut9
04-07-2012, 07:08 PM
My nephew Carson Wentz is done for the spring. Sprained ankle is a bad one. Sucks but he will be back.

BisonNation11
04-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Matt Jones was a stud today. He did everything right, made the right reads, made the right cuts, bounced off defenders, broke tackles, and had finishing speed to take one to the house. He will be one to keep an eye on, and not just at the spring game. Opposing defenses better get used to seeing this kid.

Jensen ran the offense as usual. He's the biggest cheerleader on the offense but very proficient at his job. Wentz looks like a commander or general out there. He looks to fit the position well. And that DB got crushed when Wentz ran him over. Thorton almost looked like he had a hard time seeing throwing lanes or open receivers (which isn't wide open considering our D) so he ran a lot and did a lot of scrambling. To me Wentz looked more comfortable back there, almost with a time clock in his head when to throw, throw it away, or run. Thorton seemed to hold the ball too long.

WR's looked good. It's tough for them to get open, but when they did get the ball, they were able to get some YAC's. Gerhardt (spelling) was great at getting into open space and moving north and south with the ball. They had Wahlo and Smith lined up opposite each other quite a few times. Almost like daring the D to keep up with their speed. Brock and Smith seemed very comfortable with each other. Great chemistry between them. TE's look huge, strong.

Linebackers were solid. Very disruptive in the middle whether coming up for the run, or in pass blocking. Beck looked great. Little John looked good as well.

DB's were shut down as usual. Defense definitely has swagger. Even the little guys carry a big stick and deliver big hits. #2 (can't remember his name) was solid. Definitely looking to secure the spot opposite MW.

Both sides had their moments, but defense definitely controlled the day. Great energy from everyone.

jarhead
04-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Jones did look really good.

The receivers had a hard time separating from the first unit DBs, but they pretty much all had at least one reception (Cooper went up and got one on the sideline)
albeit most were against the second unit backs. Speaking of which, Bryan Shepherd hits like he's hungry. Had Marcus returning kicks, whether you think that's a
good thing or bad. Agree that DD2 and perhaps DeSean Warren may get looks as returners come fall.

I believe LeCompte was kicking and punting and booming both early. Wind behind him but kicks five yards deep in the end zone and punts with distance and hang
time.

Line was still a patch job. Jesse Hinz is still playing RT. Jerve is injured but not sure why Pomeranke wasn't playing. Lund at center, Gimmestad at one guard, the
other guard was wearing #67, which is Talmadge's (DE) number, Not sure who he is. Billy at left tackle and Hinz at right.

D line is as good as advertised, even without a couple of starters. Mike Hardie looked good again, in a back-up role. Won't even single out any of the D starters be-
cause they're all good. Grant had a pick six right away. Scoliere looked good, hadn't really noticed him before.

Tight ends are huge, few dropped balls early in passing drills but none later on. No idea how that depth chart will look this fall.

Except for the pick six, I thought Brock looked very good. Wind was a factor but all the Qbs were throwing pretty well. Brock was wearing a red jersey, so he got
trapped in the pocket a couple of times (pass rush was really good). Wentz is going to be special someday, but Esley still looks good as does Ryan Stanford. It is
going to be a fun year if we unleash the dogs.

BisonNeil
04-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I wasn't at the scrimmage, but according to Dom and Jeff, Pomerenke sat out due to symptoms of a concussion.

Schaetz was the DT who apparently had a big hit on a QB sack. A walk on from WI that apparently Polasek likes a lot because of his toughness.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Video here:

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/61795/

HerdBot
04-07-2012, 08:44 PM
First play of the scrimmage a pick 6 from Grant Olson. I think its going to take some time for the offensive to gel. They got their ass handed to them today. I think the oline has potential but will certainly be a work jn progress. Of course our defense hands every team their ass. Ours is no different.

SamsRams
04-07-2012, 09:04 PM
67 is Lavoy maybe??

HandoEX
04-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Sounds to me like Anthony LaVoy and Leighton Talmadge switched numbers.

jarhead
04-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Could have been LaVoy, but I think he was wearing #63 and lining up at D tackle - I could be wrong. I couldn't single out Haeg or Scoville either. I know Schueller was wearing #65. Also missed #68 Beckius.

Mr. Burgundy
04-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Shatz or whatever the walk on from Wisco was the 63 playing DT. There were a ton of ripped jerseys, causing MANY players to be in odd numbers today.

Kermit
04-07-2012, 10:28 PM
67 is Lavoy maybe??

A bunch of guys were wearing different numbers on the practice jerseys today. Danny Luecke was 39. :) I think 67 was Ty Beckius.

IzzyFlexion
04-08-2012, 02:02 AM
I wasn't at the scrimmage, but according to Dom and Jeff, Pomerenke sat out due to symptoms of a concussion.

Schaetz was the DT who apparently had a big hit on a QB sack. A walk on from WI that apparently Polasek likes a lot because of his toughness.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/

Video here:

http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/61795/

Izzo and Jeff have really dialed up the analysis and excitement over the past 2 seasons. They're doing a good job and that translates into season ticket sales, more tailgaiters, community buzz about this program, ..........etc.

17>1
04-08-2012, 06:54 AM
Leevon Perry was wearing #67. Vaadeland fumbled after a nice RAC and the D recovered it. Jones looked very good, and should be fourth on the depth chart come fall. Carson came in behind Brock, and Esley followed. Good to see my buddy Tank out there covering the Bison for The Fan. Fall can't come soon enough!!!

BisonNeil
04-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Jones looked very good, and should be fourth on the depth chart come fall.

You obviously think Crockett and Dinwiddie are going to come in and displace him, I'm not so sure about that. Crockett, if eligible, will have three years of rust to shake off, not an easy deal. Dinwiddie has to come in and learn the offense, again, not an easy deal.

I think anybody in the #2 slot has to understand the entire offense and be in the backfield on any down, including passing downs, where they may go out for a pass, or stay in for pass protection. Jones will have gone through two falls and a spring practice and will have the offense down. I suspect that Crockett will be nothing more than a spot RB who will come in on running plays. If he is as good as we all think he is he will likley move up the depth chart, but I doubt very much he and Dinwiddie will automatically be #2 and #3 with Jones #4.

KSBisonFan
04-08-2012, 02:28 PM
You obviously think Crockett and Dinwiddie are going to come in and displace him, I'm not so sure about that. Crockett, if eligible, will have three years of rust to shake off, not an easy deal. Dinwiddie has to come in and learn the offense, again, not an easy deal.

I think anybody in the #2 slot has to understand the entire offense and be in the backfield on any down, including passing downs, where they may go out for a pass, or stay in for pass protection. Jones will have gone through two falls and a spring practice and will have the offense down. I suspect that Crockett will be nothing more than a spot RB who will come in on running plays. If he is as good as we all think he is he will likley move up the depth chart, but I doubt very much he and Dinwiddie will automatically be #2 and #3 with Jones #4.

I agree ^^^. With the holes we have to fill on the O-line, the RB depth chart may have extra emphasis placed on who can pick up a blitz and protect Brock the best. With Jones getting reps and learning the system, I think that moves him up the depth chart and gives him an advantage going into the fall. It may not stay that way all season, but that's how I'd see it to start fall practice.

17>1
04-08-2012, 02:46 PM

I heard from one of the coaches he'll likely be 4th. Ojuri, Lang, Crockett then Jones. But there's still a fall camp for spots to be figured out. I also forgot about Dinwiddie, but until he gets here, who knows where he'll end up.

BisonNation11
04-08-2012, 04:30 PM

Picture from scrimmage yesterday. Doesn't quite do justice to how chilling the wind was, but I'm sure the players appreciated it not being 100 degrees.

SamsRams
04-08-2012, 05:51 PM
Jones looked very good, and should be fourth on the depth chart come fall.

there is a better chance jones starts over ojuri then he is 4th on depth chart

ndsubison1
04-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Leevon Perry was wearing #67. Vaadeland fumbled after a nice RAC and the D recovered it. Jones looked very good, and should be fourth on the depth chart come fall. Carson came in behind Brock, and Esley followed. Good to see my buddy Tank out there covering the Bison for The Fan. Fall can't come soon enough!!!

should be 4th on the depth chart? i could see him getting the 2nd most carries

BisonNation11
04-08-2012, 06:19 PM

I totally agree. I know it's early, but they way he carried the ball yesterday was a reminder of the way his coach used to run the ball. Initiate contact, powerful strides, and an ability to get outside and turn on the speed. I'm not saying he's another Roehl, but he has definitely showed signs of a true combo power/speed back. Us watching Ojuri pass block last year was scary. All Jones has to do is prove he can pass block and chip like Mcnorton, and he will see his playing time increase significantly

stevdock
04-08-2012, 06:38 PM
I totally agree. I know it's early, but they way he carried the ball yesterday was a reminder of the way his coach used to run the ball. Initiate contact, powerful strides, and an ability to get outside and turn on the speed. I'm not saying he's another Roehl, but he has definitely showed signs of a true combo power/speed back. Us watching Ojuri pass block last year was scary. All Jones has to do is prove he can pass block and chip like Mcnorton, and he will see his playing time increase significantly

Might be one of the most important things that needs to be replaced to have a successful 2012. DJ is probably the best blocking tailback at NDSU that I can remember, especially with picking up the blitz. Not saying best ever, but best that I can remember.

westnodak93bison
04-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Not so fast with the Jones projections. If we have Ojuri, Lang, Jones, Crockett and Dinwiddie plus a walkon or two, I'm gonna wait until the dust settles to make any predictions outside of Ojuri being #1 or #2.

ndsubison1
04-08-2012, 08:46 PM
id imagine dinwiddie will likely redshirt. 5 guys would be a lot

17>1
04-08-2012, 08:56 PM

I'm simply repeating what I heard a coach say. This isn't a case of "I told you so" going on. Obviously I liked what, along with everyone else, saw yesterday, but it's spring ball. Let's see how everything pans out come fall, and see where he ends up on the depth chart. And also, a depth chart is only a depth chart, I'm not saying he isn't going to get touches.

ndsubison1
04-08-2012, 08:57 PM
and i am saying that he wont be 4th on the depth chart. could i be wrong yes, but thats just how i see it right now

HandoEX
04-08-2012, 08:58 PM
No one graduates after this coming season so there would be five guys in 2013 as well so what's the difference?

ndsubison1
04-08-2012, 09:01 PM
because i cant imagine playing 5 RBs. and granting dinwiddie an extra year would be nice

17>1
04-08-2012, 09:02 PM
and i am saying that he wont be 4th on the depth chart. could i be wrong yes, but thats just how i see it right now

I understand. I guess the way anyone can see it right now is that he can't be any lower than 3rd with 3 running backs on the roster.

SamsRams
04-08-2012, 09:36 PM
he redshirted last year. not really familiar with jc redshirts, but I am under the assumption
he only has a medical hardship redshirt left

and there isn't an alternate universe where it is possible Lange would start over Jones if Ojuri gets hurt, so it ain't gonna happen in this world either. Lange is a situational back, Jones does it all

ndsubison1
04-08-2012, 09:53 PM
he redshirted last year. not really familiar with jc redshirts, but I am under the assumption
he only has a medical hardship redshirt left

and there isn't an alternate universe where it is possible Lange would start over Jones if Ojuri gets hurt, so it ain't gonna happen in this world either. Lange is a situational back, Jones does it all

whoops. did not know that he already redshirted

SamsRams
04-08-2012, 11:31 PM
whoops. did not know that he already redshirted

yep coming in as RS So. but again I am not expert on redshirting. I think hurt his ankle and didn't play a Down last year. So I am under the assumption players can't use their medical hardship for their first redshirt, but maybe that is not the case or maybe juco transfers have different rules

KSBisonFan
04-09-2012, 12:33 AM
Daveon played a bunch last season.

2011 Hutchinson Blue Dragon Football
Hutchinson CC Overall Individual Statistics
(as of Dec 05, 2011) All games

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
D. Dinwiddie 12 143 893 33 860 6.0 12 90 71.7

I think he redshirted his first year of Juco (2010) because I can't find any stats for him during the 2010 season at Hutch. He's listed as a Fr. on last year's roster:

25 Deveon Dinwiddie RB Fr. 5-8 179 Hutchinson, KS Hutchinson High)

You're right about the RS Soph, SR.

SamsRams
04-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Daveon played a bunch last season.

2011 Hutchinson Blue Dragon Football
Hutchinson CC Overall Individual Statistics
(as of Dec 05, 2011) All games

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
D. Dinwiddie 12 143 893 33 860 6.0 12 90 71.7

I think he redshirted his first year of Juco (2010) because I can't find any stats for him during the 2010 season at Hutch. He's listed as a Fr. on last year's roster:

25 Deveon Dinwiddie RB Fr. 5-8 179 Hutchinson, KS Hutchinson High)

You're right about the RS Soph, SR.

yep long weekend, I knew that but apparently didnt know that and thanks for correction. Sitll would like to know (if anyone does know) if DD2 is able to redshirt at NDSU or if he just has a medical hardship available.

KSBisonFan
04-10-2012, 02:21 AM
yep long weekend, I knew that but apparently didnt know that and thanks for correction. Sitll would like to know (if anyone does know) if DD2 is able to redshirt at NDSU or if he just has a medical hardship available.

I could swear I read his redshirt in 2010 was due to injury so maybe that was the medical redshirt and he still can use his redshirt with us?????? Just speculation.
Also, I like the nickname (DD2), SR.

Bison06
04-10-2012, 02:29 AM
I have never heard of a JUCO redshirting once they transfer out of the JUCO. He wouldn't have come up here if that was even a possibility, he will be competing for a spot. If he isn't able to see the field at RB he will be a special teamer, but there is a next to zero chance that he will redshirt once he gets up here.

EndZoneQB
04-10-2012, 02:36 AM
I have never heard of a JUCO redshirting once they transfer out of the JUCO. He wouldn't have come up here if that was even a possibility, he will be competing for a spot. If he isn't able to see the field at RB he will be a special teamer, but there is a next to zero chance that he will redshirt once he gets up here.

Dante Perez redshirted after JUCO...I think Boen Anderson did too, didn't he?

BlueBisonRock
04-10-2012, 02:37 AM

I do get your point. However, Dante did red shirt just a couple seasons ago.

Apologies. EZEagleEyes beat me to it.

KSBisonFan
04-10-2012, 02:44 AM
I don't think it's likely Dinwiddie redshirts, just a thought. Since DD2 and D. Warren are being mentioned as our return guy, I think it would make much more sense redshirting Warren. He's coming off a knee injury that cost him his senior year. Anybody heard how he's doing with his rehab?? Should be ready for fall drills but a redshirt year may help him.

SamsRams
04-10-2012, 02:46 AM
I could swear I read his redshirt in 2010 was due to injury so maybe that was the medical redshirt and he still can use his redshirt with us?????? Just speculation.
Also, I like the nickname (DD2), SR.

I am fairly positive players cannot use medical hardship first.

KSBisonFan
04-10-2012, 02:52 AM

That makes sense. I'm pretty sure you're right about that. My bad.

SamsRams
04-10-2012, 03:43 AM
That makes sense. I'm pretty sure you're right about that. My bad.

Let me say, I know that is a fact if the player started and finished their career at the same school. The confusion with me is DD2 is coming from a JUCO. So I wonder if it is different since is was an injury before he ever played and the fact that if he wants to finish is eligibility he has to transfer. It is an interesting topic and I wish I knew the answer, however I dont think it will factor into this situation as I dont see Deveon redshirting even if it is available

herdmember
04-10-2012, 04:36 AM
I thought alot of DD1/DD2 quotes when he signed had to do with how excited they were to finish together. That would lead me to believe redshirting isn't being thought of even if its available.

tolnabison
04-10-2012, 02:20 PM
I thought that Dinwiddie broke his ankle during his redshirt year at Kansas State? So he transferred to Hutchinson as a RS Freshman. Played last year, and is now transferring to us. So next year he will be a RS Sophomore. Meaning he won't be able to redshirt for us.

SamsRams
04-10-2012, 09:13 PM
I thought that Dinwiddie broke his ankle during his redshirt year at Kansas State?

wrong and wrong. Committed to Kstate as a greyshirt but never enrolled, he went straight to Hutchinson CC and that is where he hurt his ankle

HerdBot
04-10-2012, 09:57 PM

not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples but Tyler Roehl played as a true freshman and when he got hurt, he took the year to redshirt.

SamsRams
04-10-2012, 10:03 PM
not sure if I'm comparing apples to apples but Tyler Roehl played as a true freshman and when he got hurt, he took the year to redshirt.

What we are discussing is playing in a players 6th year.

X-Factor
04-11-2012, 03:06 AM
What we are discussing is playing in a players 6th year.

Shamen Washington

SamsRams
04-11-2012, 04:47 AM
Shamen Washington
Shamen did not transfer from a JC and I am positive he didnt use his medical redshirt first. I cant believe noone knows the answer, then again I dont know if has ever been discussed before :)

NorthernBison
04-11-2012, 12:18 PM

The thing to remember is that there is a difference between redshirt, medical hardship, and extending the five year clock.

More importantly, getting a medical hardship does not automatically extend the five year clock. It might not extend it at all. What you described for Roehl would be an example of that.

To muck it up even more, the NCAA also grants waivers on occasion for situations where the rules don't fit exactly but they deem a waiver to be appropriate.

17>1
08-22-2012, 07:04 AM
Bump

#1 Ojuri
#2 Crockett
#3a Lang
#3b(4) Jones...

BisonNation11
08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Bump

#1 Ojuri
#2 Crockett
#3a Lang
#3b(4) Jones...

I'm sorry, but did I miss something with Dinwiddie and why he wouldn't be on this list?

17>1
08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm sorry, but did I miss something with Dinwiddie and why he wouldn't be on this list?
No, probably could have put his name on there as well. The point was where Jones ended up on the RB depth chart. I mentioned this earlier in this thread, the same day I spoke with a coach after the scrimmage, and got some interesting feedback. I'm not one to usually do the "I told you so" thing, but yeah.

BisonNeil
08-23-2012, 01:38 AM
Bump

#1 Ojuri
#2 Crockett
#3a Lang
#3b(4) Jones...

I love that Lang is #3.

When you consider Lang is ahead of two scholarship players, along with LaVoy being the #1 LG after spring ball, Haeg being named the #1 RT after the last scrimmage, Moody the #2 receiver after Smith, Nack the #2 RG, Luecke the #2 DT, and Schaetz the #2 NT; the walk on program is really delivering. Obviously Bohl and his staff have told these young men they will have every bit a chance to compete for playing time as a scholarship player and if this isn't proof of that, I don't know what is.

Good job coaches!