PDA

View Full Version : players who could surprise

HerdBot
03-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Jacob Lesar - played tackle in high school and guard as a Bison. Was listed at a large 6-6, 315 as a true frosh and he is not a fat bastard either. He played basketball in high school. Curious to see where his height/weight is at now 6'6, 320? 330? . Could give us a massive presence at LG. Odds are he doesn't play much until next year but certainly one to keep an eye on. Long term RT project?

Danny Luecke JR DT. Started out at end. Last year was his first at tackle. Put on a ton of weight. He came into camp last year at 6-5, 269 (up 238 as a frosh) and had a full year in the system and played a fair amount. Interested to see how much weight he will add by fall camp. With Drevlow, Juckem, and Horvath out and Lisenby off the team and Lavoy moving to guard , he should see a ton of reps at tackle. Guys like that typically do well their jr and senior years. And an added bonus... he s a hometown boy

Brian Schaetz - DT rfr - dont know much about him except Kolpack tweeted they were high on him. Late walkon after another player decommitted or didn't make the cut. Honorable Mention first team and was a good wrestler. Cautiously optimistic on him but due to lack of depth and injuries he will get some reps

Mike Hardie - sophmore DE with good size at 6-5. I heard Hazleton mention him by name on a radio interview. Playing behind guys like Boyer, Jirik, Hagen, and Emanuel he didnt stand a chance of playing much but he has looked good in limited playing time. Call it a gut feeling but I think he is going to be very good.

Anyone else?

CaBisonFan
03-25-2012, 09:18 PM
Jacob Lesar - played tackle in high school and guard as a Bison. Was listed at a large 6-6, 315 as a true frosh and he is not a fat bastard either. He played basketball in high school. Curious to see where his height/weight is at now 6'6, 320? 330? . Could give us a massive presence at LG. Odds are he doesn't play much until next year but certainly one to keep an eye on. Long term RT project?

Danny Luecke JR DT. Started out at end. Last year was his first at tackle. Put on a ton of weight. He came into camp last year at 6-5, 269 (up 238 as a frosh) and had a full year in the system and played a fair amount. Interested to see how much weight he will add by fall camp. With Drevlow, Juckem, and Horvath out and Lisenby off the team and Lavoy moving to guard , he should see a ton of reps at tackle. Guys like that typically do well their jr and senior years. And an added bonus... he s a hometown boy

Brian Schaetz - DT rfr - dont know much about him except Kolpack tweeted they were high on him. Late walkon after another player decommitted or didn't make the cut. Honorable Mention first team and was a good wrestler. Cautiously optimistic on him but due to lack of depth and injuries he will get some reps

Mike Hardie - sophmore DE with good size at 6-5. I heard Hazleton mention him by name on a radio interview. Playing behind guys like Boyer, Jirik, Hagen, and Emanuel he didnt stand a chance of playing much but he has looked good in limited playing time. Call it a gut feeling but I think he is going to be very good.

Anyone else?

The best post in the past couple of months. Thanks Gabe.

ndsubison1
03-25-2012, 09:31 PM
cooper wahlo i think he steps up this season

CaBisonFan
03-25-2012, 09:52 PM

I agree. He gets some credit from me for our playoff run. He provided another option when we needed it.

DjKyRo
03-25-2012, 10:13 PM
I think one of the four underclassmen competing for the second corner spot (CJ Smith, Jordan Champion, Zach Colvin, Brendin Pierre) is going to emerge as an absolute superstar to the tune of Marcus Williams. Tons of ability here and it's a position I'm keeping my eyes on. Strange to think this position was a huge liability just three years ago.

ndsubison1
03-25-2012, 10:17 PM
i think pierre has that spot. he's a junior. technically in his 4th year

KilldeerBison
03-25-2012, 10:19 PM
Another guy that caught my attention last year was Aireal Boyd, he looks to have really good speed. Fun to watch on kick coverage.

SamsRams
03-25-2012, 10:28 PM
DinWiddie Nation

the two brothers will be making impacts on offense, defense and special teams

Bison"FANatic"
03-25-2012, 10:35 PM

What have you seen or heard that makes you think this? I hope he does to but it was quite telling last year when he was beat out by a walk on freshman who basically was a decoy. I just think he has a long climb to become game ready.

KSBisonFan
03-25-2012, 10:43 PM
DinWiddie Nation

the two brothers will be making impacts on offense, defense and special teams

I agree. I'd really like to see DeShawn step up and play big at LB.

EndZoneQB
03-25-2012, 11:08 PM
I agree. He gets some credit from me for our playoff run. He provided another option when we needed it.

He did? When? He was a warm body on the field...

HerdBot
03-25-2012, 11:20 PM

Hes one of the fastest guys on the team and speed kills. Maybe this is the year it all comes together for him.

DjKyRo
03-25-2012, 11:22 PM
Hes one of the fastest guys on the team and speed kills.

Heh, tell that to James Madison, Georgia Southern and Sam Houston State. :)

CaBisonFan
03-26-2012, 12:34 AM
He did? When? He was a warm body on the field...

It was during the games...not at tailgating.

EndZoneQB
03-26-2012, 01:53 AM
It was during the games...not at tailgating.

I'm not sure I follow...

He had 3 catches for 24 yards and a long of 12...and he had 2 reverses for 27 yards. I wouldn't call that "another option when we needed it"...

HerdBot
03-26-2012, 01:59 AM
Heh, tell that to James Madison, Georgia Southern and Sam Houston State. :)

The funny part is our defense is super fast but people have this misconception that since were from the Midwest we win because of size and disciplined play. Heck were disciplined, big, and fast. Our d-line averaged 6-4 and physically kicked their asses. Our team speed is what won those games

CaBisonFan
03-26-2012, 03:45 AM
I'm not sure I follow...

He had 3 catches for 24 yards and a long of 12...and he had 2 reverses for 27 yards. I wouldn't call that "another option when we needed it"...

OK...I remember a few plays that seemed important at the time...as most of the playoff's plays were. I was impressed with him. Is that acceptable?

Stats don't mean diddly to me. Our offense didn't exactly rock the world.

SamsRams
03-26-2012, 04:14 AM
wow guys.....he was a sophomore who got lots of playing time on a national championship team. he had speed to help open things up, blocks well and contributed on special teams. Plus he stayed healthy, something most of the returning receivers can't say. Count me a Cooper fan!!!

CaBisonFan
03-26-2012, 04:35 AM
wow guys.....he was a sophomore who got lots of playing time on a national championship team. he had speed to help open things up, blocks well and contributed on special teams. Plus he stayed healthy, something most of the returning receivers can't say. Count me a Cooper fan!!!

Thanks SamsRams...count me in.

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2012, 04:51 AM

wow. being the 11th guy on the field due to injury sure warrants some praise on here doesn't it.

he stayed healthy because he touched the ball what..5 times all post season? i think we're getting a lil too lovey dovey with a dude who'll probably be the 4th or 5th receiver next year. you guys seem to have a longer leash when it comes to throwing around the word impress than i do.
just out of curiosity, how many times have you watched cooper wahlo block his man?

CaBisonFan
03-26-2012, 04:54 AM
Zach Vraa will bring an all-conference caliber year.

Our receivers, as a whole, will become a huge area of concern for opposing defenses. Running backs will remain awesome.

The offense will open up, while our defense will remain scary good. We will remain a ball-control team...but with big-play potential that we haven't been known for.

CaBisonFan
03-26-2012, 04:55 AM
wow. being the 11th guy on the field due to injury sure warrants some praise on here doesn't it.

he stayed healthy because he touched the ball what..5 times all post season? i think we're getting a lil too lovey dovey with a dude who'll probably be the 4th or 5th receiver next year. you guys seem to have a longer leash when it comes to throwing around the word impress than i do.
just out of curiosity, how many times have you watched cooper wahlo block his man?

Anti-Wahlo dude...1620

semobison
03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Zach Vraa will bring an all-conference caliber year.

Our receivers, as a whole, will become a huge area of concern for opposing defenses. Running backs will remain awesome.

The offense will open up, while our defense will remain scary good. We will remain a ball-control team...but with big-play potential that we haven't been known for.

Maybe a little optimistic but I hope you are right. If we have significant improvement offensively we are going to be a very, very good football team!

HerdBot
03-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Remember the title of the thread is "Players who could suprise." I agree he has the potential to surprise. Speed, a little playing time, and 3 years in the system.

heffray
03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Look for Eslie to beat out Brock for the starting spot by week 4.

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2012, 06:46 PM
Anti-Wahlo dude...1620
because i said you are "impressed" from the 5 touches he had all year?

do you think teams even brought up wahlo when it came to scheming the bison offense for the post season? cooper did nothing when smith was out for injury. the one thing i remember was a sweep he got for a first down vs gsu or something.

it's not hating, it just means we have 2 totally different definitions of 'impress'. and just because he has speed, doesnt mean he's going to surprise anybody...but with your standards he automatically will.

CaBisonFan
03-26-2012, 07:47 PM
because i said you are "impressed" from the 5 touches he had all year?

do you think teams even brought up wahlo when it came to scheming the bison offense for the post season? cooper did nothing when smith was out for injury. the one thing i remember was a sweep he got for a first down vs gsu or something.

it's not hating, it just means we have 2 totally different definitions of 'impress'. and just because he has speed, doesnt mean he's going to surprise anybody...but with your standards he automatically will.

Please note the purple font that was used.

Kujava23
03-26-2012, 08:03 PM
players that could surprise.........

TE Derek Lee has the bigger frame and target---gives us another option to split the seems down field

MLB Grant Olson---sure he's played before but being on the field full time I believe he will impress people

WR Zach Vraa---he was making plays last fall camp that coaches talked about him a lot, unusual for a ball controlled team---big target with great hands

OL---interior OL that step up and fill starting spots

RB--backup RB---whoever wins job---many were concerned about position but there is talent there and someone will step and take advantage of the opportunity

GO BISON

Professor Chaos
03-26-2012, 08:30 PM
While we won't see him until fall and it's not for sure yet, I think John Crockett will blow the doors off people if he's able to play. I get that Ojuri is talented and will be the starter given his huge head start on Crockett when it comes to experience which makes him more of a complete back but Crockett will induce more than a few collective "wows" out of the Fargodome crowd if he can get on the field.

56BISON73
03-26-2012, 09:18 PM
What about Shepherd? I thought he played well during his limited time on the field.

BisonNeil
03-26-2012, 09:45 PM
What about Shepherd? I thought he played well during his limited time on the field.

I agree, he played well on special teams, made the first tackle of the NC game! I thought the coaches would move him to FS since he spent some time there early in the season when Eaves was hurt.

CaBisonFan
03-26-2012, 09:46 PM

...agreed...

17>1
03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't say I'm wearing any Whalo brand glasses here, but there is something to consider about anyone with better than average speed. The decoy factor is a real thing. If those playoff teams scouted Cooper as a speed threat, even though he rarely touched the ball, then they still had to remain honest and keep an eye on him. Sometimes, during a play, all it takes is for a safety or corner to take one extra look over or a step in the opposite direction, to open up something for a teamate. And that can be just enough of a difference on a play as to whether it goes for 6 or not.

EndZoneQB
03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't say I'm wearing any Whalo brand glasses here, but there is something to consider about anyone with better than average speed. The decoy factor is a real thing. If those playoff teams scouted Cooper as a speed threat, even though he rarely touched the ball, then they still had to remain honest and keep an eye on him. Sometimes, during a play, all it takes is for a safety or corner to take one extra look over or a step in the opposite direction, to open up something for a teamate. And that can be just enough of a difference on a play as to whether it goes for 6 or not.

3 catches for 24 yards, enough said. They weren't scouting Wahlo. Are decoys real? Yep. But you know what, it needs to be on tape...and he had no such plays.

Listen, don't get me wrong, I want the kid to succeed and he looked like quite the athlete coming out of HS, but he just hasn't put it together on the field yet. Call me skeptical, a hater, or whatever, but there is no way he can be complimented for his play on offense last year...unless you saw something in practice he wasn't doing previously.

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2012, 10:33 PM

good thing too. wahlos regular season numbers made opposing defensive coordinators sleepless.

theres a reason why halloway caught td's and wahlo didn't.

CaBisonFan
03-26-2012, 10:51 PM
good thing too. wahlos regular season numbers made opposing defensive coordinators sleepless.

Please revisit the title of this thread.

EndZoneQB
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM
Please revisit the title of this thread.

The title of this thread was thrown out the window when you brought up last season. If you had said, "I think Wahlo has a chance of being much better this year because he is athletic and should know the playbook a lot more", we would have left it alone. Instead, you went preposterous with the bit. Besides, if he was great last year, he wouldn't be a "surprise" this year....

56BISON73
03-26-2012, 10:56 PM

Then you may as well get a track kid to assume that position. Sorry but we need kids who can play the game and can be a scoring threat. That in itself will loosen up the D.

EndZoneQB
03-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Then you may as well get a track kid to assume that position. Sorry but we need kids who can play the game and can be a scoring threat. That in itself will loosen up the D.

Thank you. Exactly.

17>1
03-26-2012, 11:15 PM

I'm pretty sure I never mentioned his regular season numbers being the reason teams would scout him. I said speed. I'm thinking if a kid has 3 catches and sees significant playing time, then a coordinator has to pay attention to him. And obviously Warren had more TD's, he was a Sr. starter and was out there virtually every offensive play. I wasnt really looking for an argument here, just wanted to approach the discussion from a different perspective.

EndZoneQB
03-26-2012, 11:29 PM
I'm pretty sure I never mentioned his regular season numbers being the reason teams would scout him. I said speed. I'm thinking if a kid has 3 catches and sees significant playing time, then a coordinator has to pay attention to him. And obviously Warren had more TD's, he was a Sr. starter and was out there virtually every offensive play. I wasnt really looking for an argument here, just wanted to approach the discussion from a different perspective.

But answer me this, how does a coordinator know the kid is fast if he's never seen him in the open field? Hell, I haven't even seen him in the open field!

17>1
03-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Haha, good point. Game film is game film though. And there's 11 guys out there on each team and 1 football. Do you think scouts only watch where the ball goes? Or do you think they look at an entire D and O together as one unit?

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2012, 11:51 PM
he saw significant playing time because smith, gebhart and vraa all got injured.

and walk on true freshman nate moodie made more plays than cooper.

ndsubison1
03-26-2012, 11:52 PM
What have you seen or heard that makes you think this? I hope he does to but it was quite telling last year when he was beat out by a walk on freshman who basically was a decoy. I just think he has a long climb to become game ready.

i guess it's more so wishful thinking. but i know he has the ability. he had a few nice plays in the playoffs. lets hope he puts it together this season because we're gonna need it with holloway gone

EndZoneQB
03-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Haha, good point. Game film is game film though. And there's 11 guys out there on each team and 1 football. Do you think scouts only watch where the ball goes? Or do you think they look at an entire D and O together as one unit?

Again, where are they going to find out any information about Wahlo? Have you never scouted for a team?

Are you guys trolling now or are you still serious? I can't tell anymore.

CaBisonFan
03-27-2012, 12:10 AM
The title of this thread was thrown out the window when you brought up last season. If you had said, "I think Wahlo has a chance of being much better this year because he is athletic and should know the playbook a lot more", we would have left it alone. Instead, you went preposterous with the bit. Besides, if he was great last year, he wouldn't be a "surprise" this year....

Didn't Cooper have 1,000 yards receiving last year and was honorable-mention All-American? Maybe I have the wrong guy.

17>1
03-27-2012, 12:23 AM
Again, where are they going to find out any information about Wahlo? Have you never scouted for a team?

Are you guys trolling now or are you still serious? I can't tell anymore.

Ah, no. I've never scouted for a team. In fact, I've never played football, never coached football, never been a waterboy for football. Only a football fan. Does this make me any less qualified to make some assumptions about how teams are scouted by opposing coordinators? Probably, but I don't think I'm too far off with my line of thinking. And no, not a troll. If anyone knows me around here, they know where my loyalty lies with Bison football and how serious I take it. I'm currently in the role of the person who everyone is losing respect for at the moment, but I still enjoy talking Bison football any chance I get.

Here's how I would think a potential opponent may have scouted the Bison in a film study session. Ryan Smith makes a catch on a route 15 yards down field out of the slot. A simple down and in. The play goes for a big gain. The D coordinator notices on the play that #12, Whalo, beats the corner pretty badly right at the snap and gets behind him in open space. The safety also recognizes this and decides to help over the top and not come up to cover Smith in the slot. Now Whalo didn't see the ball on this play, but the coordinator recognizes his speed and knows that Brock could get him the ball if this sort of thing happens against them. Therefore, they need to pay a little more attention to this kid, who normally is the 7th or 8th string WR, but is listed as 4th on the depth chart because of injuries. Does this make sense or do I need to lay off the crack pipe and seek help?

56BISON73
03-27-2012, 12:35 AM
Ah, no. I've never scouted for a team. In fact, I've never played football, never coached football, never been a waterboy for football. Only a football fan. Does this make me any less qualified to make some assumptions about how teams are scouted by opposing coordinators? Probably, but I don't think I'm too far off with my line of thinking. And no, not a troll. If anyone knows me around here, they know where my loyalty lies with Bison football and how serious I take it. I'm currently in the role of the person who everyone is losing respect for at the moment, but I still enjoy talkin

Here's how I would think a potential opponent may have scouted the Bison in a film study session. Ryan Smith makes a catch on a route 15 yards down field out of the slot. A simple down and in. The play goes for a big gain. The D coordinator notices on the play that #12, Whalo, beats the corner pretty badly right at the snap and gets behind him in open space. The safety also recognizes this and decides to help over the top and not come up to cover Smith in the slot. Now Whalo didn't see the ball on this play, but the coordinator recognizes his speed and knows that Brock could get him the ball if this sort of thing happens against them. Therefore, they need to pay a little more attention to this kid, who normally is the 7th or 8th string WR, but is listed as 4th on the depth chart because of injuries. Does this make sense or do I need to lay off the crack pipe and seek help?

You forgot about down,distance,field position. The dc cpould have looked at it as a blown coverage. My bet is the dc looked at the situation and the plat that was run at that time more than the player.

17>1
03-27-2012, 12:44 AM
You forgot about down,distance,field position. The dc cpould have looked at it as a blown coverage. My bet is the dc looked at the situation and the plat that was run at that time more than the player.

PL, I agree. With my limited knowledge on these things mentioned already, you probably understand why I failed to mention those other things. The point I was really trying to get across was that on every play, the personell on the field for an offense, probably changes how a D defends against it. So I would assume that coordinators pay attention to all the pieces in play other than just who ends up with the ball. Right?

56BISON73
03-27-2012, 01:09 AM
PL, I agree. With my limited knowledge on these things mentioned already, you probably understand why I failed to mention those other things. The point I was really trying to get across was that on every play, the personell on the field for an offense, probably changes how a D defends against it. So I would assume that coordinators pay attention to all the pieces in play other than just who ends up with the ball. Right?

Unless the o player is usually the target the plaer himsef won't be singled out. The look at what each position does on the play and situation. That is called reads. The d is then taught the reads for certain plays and situations. But you have to remember that depending on what d formation is called responsibilities and coverages will change.

17>1
03-27-2012, 01:16 AM
Unless the o player is usually the target the plaer himsef won't be singled out. The look at what each position does on the play and situation. That is called reads. The d is then taught the reads for certain plays and situations.

Got it. I understand all of this. Was just hoping, in defense of Cooper maybe, that someone would admit that you don't have to always show up on a stat sheet to be noticed. I just find it really hard to believe that opposing teams paid zero attention to him because of his lack of catches. I sure hope things improve for him this year and his speed can be utilized more. That's all I've got on Mr. Whalo.

EndZoneQB
03-27-2012, 01:56 AM
Ah, no. I've never scouted for a team. In fact, I've never played football, never coached football, never been a waterboy for football. Only a football fan. Does this make me any less qualified to make some assumptions about how teams are scouted by opposing coordinators? Probably, but I don't think I'm too far off with my line of thinking. And no, not a troll. If anyone knows me around here, they know where my loyalty lies with Bison football and how serious I take it. I'm currently in the role of the person who everyone is losing respect for at the moment, but I still enjoy talking Bison football any chance I get.

1. It's Wahlo.
2. I was joking when I was asking if you guys were trolling...not questioning anyone's fanhood here, just wanted to make sure I wasn't taking the bait hook, line, and sinker on this topic. No one is losing respect for you, nor is that the reason I am questioning these statements.
3. PL pretty much summed it up. The DC is going to break down the play, etc, and not really worry about specifically who is doing what when...unless he is deemed a major threat ie plays designed for that player(like when we were ohh so creative bringing in Ryan Parsons only on reverses lol) that is on film a couple of times.

And like I said, I have nothing against Cooper, I hope he has an awesome year, he just had a quiet year last year.

17>1
03-27-2012, 02:17 AM
1. It's Wahlo.
2. I was joking when I was asking if you guys were trolling...not questioning anyone's fanhood here, just wanted to make sure I wasn't taking the bait hook, line, and sinker on this topic. No one is losing respect for you, nor is that the reason I am questioning these statements.
3. PL pretty much summed it up. The DC is going to break down the play, etc, and not really worry about specifically who is doing what when...unless he is deemed a major threat ie plays designed for that player(like when we were ohh so creative bringing in Ryan Parsons only on reverses lol) that is on film a couple of times.

And like I said, I have nothing against Cooper, I hope he has an awesome year, he just had a quiet year last year.

1. DOH!! I hate being the guy to spell players names wrong. Seriously, it bugs me when I see it and now I'm that guy.
2. As far as the respect thing goes, I'm taking a beating in that butthockey thread. Ha, oh well.
3. Go Bison!!!

CaBisonFan
03-27-2012, 05:49 AM
But answer me this, how does a coordinator know the kid is fast if he's never seen him in the open field? Hell, I haven't even seen him in the open field!

...practice?...

IzzyFlexion
03-27-2012, 12:33 PM

I'm thinking if a kid has 3 catches and sees significant playing time, then a coordinator has to pay attention to him.

...practice?...

I believe that these fellers are referencing the opponents d-coordinator. Now, if they're talking about the 2010 UNI game.....then yeah, I can believe that their d-coordinator was at NDSU's practices that week.

56BISON73
03-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Deleted.........should have let it alone

17>1
03-27-2012, 07:33 PM
Problem was you manufactured a ficticious scenario to try and bolster your premise-preconceived notion. Then tried to argue your point-premise. That usually doesnt work out too well.

Seriously? You're killing me man. I admitted I had limited knowledge about most things involved with offensive and defensive assignments and formations, and you then have to call my scenario fictitious. Is it too hard to really think that some coordinator had to pay just the slightest bit of attention to Cooper? I don't understand why you keep coming at me like I'm a total idiot. I know you probably know more about this stuff than me, but you really don't need to try and put me in my place about it. Geez.

Bison06
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Seriously? You're killing me man. I admitted I had limited knowledge about most things involved with offensive and defensive assignments and formations, and you then have to call my scenario fictitious. Is it too hard to really think that some coordinator had to pay just the slightest bit of attention to Cooper? I don't understand why you keep coming at me like I'm a total idiot. I know you probably know more about this stuff than me, but you really don't need to try and put me in my place about it. Geez.

There is plenty of truth in what you are saying. A DC will definately notice that a player has the ability to get behind the defense even if he isn't targeted. But when a player has that sort of ability physically and isn't targeted often, there is usually a reason. A DC also knows this.

jarhead
03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Two examples: Troy Williamson, 4.32 sec. forty but couldn't catch his mother. Still, he was never left uncovered. He basically served as an unintentional decoy.
Second example is our own Stacy Robinson. Despite playing on an offense that rarely threw the ball, he was important enough to our offense that he was drafted
#46 overall in the '85 draft. Wahlo may not be keeping any DCs up nights but they sure as hell better respect him (and any other receiver they face).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Williamson

CAS4127
03-27-2012, 08:06 PM
There is plenty of truth in what you are saying. A DC will definately notice that a player has the ability to get behind the defense even if he isn't targeted. But when a player has that sort of ability physically and isn't targeted often, there is usually a reason. A DC also knows this.

Two examples: Troy Williamson, 4.32 sec. forty but couldn't catch his mother. Still, he was never left uncovered. He basically served as an unintentional decoy.
Second example is our own Stacy Robinson. Despite playing on an offense that rarely threw the ball, he was important enough to our offense that he was drafted
#46 overall in the '85 draft. Wahlo may not be keeping any DCs up nights but they sure as hell better respect him (and any other receiver they face).

I don't know guys ...Whalo may be fast, but hasn't shown anything, so he certainly would not be a focus of any DC. Sure the DC might point him out and say "Watch for his speed", but until he starts doing something with it, that would be about all the attention he would or does get.

That's what I believe anyway!!

EndZoneQB
03-27-2012, 08:09 PM

Williams was our "#1" receiver...so of course they are going to cover him, plus he had like 2-3 long catches and a bunch of "targets" that he obviously dropped. Apples to Oranges.

Plus, we aren't saying you leave someone uncovered, but you don't just point out a guy that has done NOTHING and make a scheme to cover him...

Bison06
03-27-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't know guys ...Whalo may be fast, but hasn't shown anything, so he certainly would not be a focus of any DC. Sure the DC might point him out and say "Watch for his speed", but until he starts doing something with it, that would be about all the attention he would or does get.

That's what I believe anyway!!

I agree completely, he needs to be a viable threat before he gets any real attention in the filmroom. As you said, he would likely only warrant a brief mention that #12 has the ability to get behind you, maybe give him an extra half step when you are back pedaling or open your hips a step early. Nothing more at least until we actually start throwing that deep ball to him a couple of times a game.

HerdBot
03-27-2012, 08:25 PM

Every player is covered on every play. He will become a difference maker the day he routinely beats one on one coverage and makes plays. Then the defense will have to committ a safety to him. Guys like Troy Williamson never garnered a double team because he sucked royal dick. But guys like Randy Moss would change the way defenses played. In fact, some people claim the roots of the Tampa 2 were rooted in Tony Dungy trying to figure out how to stop Randy Moss and the '98 Vikings. (not sure if it's true or not) I know that's a bit off topic but...

The entire point of the discussion was "players who could suprise" and Cooper is definitely worthy of discussion. He hasn't caught a lot of balls. Some players just take a a little longer to catch on. Let's hope it's him because he has some skills. And being a junior and being one of the fastest guys works to his advantage. Can he catch? Can he run routes well? Can he block? I have no clue

Mr. Burgundy
03-27-2012, 08:48 PM
I knew I should have stopped reading this disaster of a thread on page 3.

NDSU92
03-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Cooper Wahlo will win us a football game next year mark it down

CAS4127
03-27-2012, 08:59 PM

I will, as soon as you buy a punctuation mark!!:biggrin:

DjKyRo
03-27-2012, 08:59 PM

I'll carry last season's mark into this September. :)

NDSU92
03-27-2012, 09:15 PM
I'll carry last season's mark into this September. :)

Can someone please tell me who had the most yards per carry for rushers with more than one carry last year?

I look forward to that carrying over to 2012 as well.

17>1
03-27-2012, 09:24 PM
A lot of good points made and I agree with most of them. Sorry if I hijacked the thread with unnecessary banter about a minor subject. I would love to see him contribute much more than 3 catches this year.

jarhead
03-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Cooper Wahlo? He could surprise some people this year.

Tatanka
03-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Has anyone heard anything about Cooper Wahlo? He could surprise some people this year.I heard his kid is pretty good too, and he's already on ndsu's roster!

IzzyFlexion
03-27-2012, 11:45 PM
I heard his kid is pretty good too, and he's already on ndsu's roster!

Are you sure you're not looking at the 1994 baseball press guide?

CaBisonFan
03-28-2012, 03:42 AM
I will, as soon as you buy a punctuation mark!!:biggrin:

And here I was thinking that you were gone...lost in the abyss of the A&R...simply because I think that Gus Bradley was the leader of the defense in the mid to upper 80s...:biggrin:

CaBisonFan
03-28-2012, 03:43 AM
Wikipedia needed...someone please look up the phrase..."could surprise."