PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Spring Practice Update Thread

DjKyRo
03-24-2012, 07:57 PM
Figured with drills kicking off this morning it wouldn't be a bad deal to get some updates rolling. I couldn't make it out this morning but caught Izzo and Kolpack's video blog, which is available here (http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/61091/).

Few tidbits worth noting:

- Marcus Williams and Brendin Pierre (back with the team) both had interceptions on day one.
- Dudzik is officially back at safety
- Grant Olson is getting major reps as starting MLB.
- Vraa and Jensen both at <100%
- Jemison, Jerve, Drevlow, and Juckem out for spring ball with injuries or recovery
- Team has three kickers on the roster, in addition to scholarship player Adam Keller is Lynk Downing and Miles Brooks
- Ben LeCompte is the only punter on the roster

Mostly-updated roster is available here (http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SPID=695&SPSID=11845).

Hope to see some Bisonvillers out on the field on Monday!

westnodak93bison
03-24-2012, 08:24 PM
Who is getting reps at MLB other than Grant Olson?

4mcruenomore
03-24-2012, 08:48 PM
Thoughts on QB, Brock healthy?

DjKyRo
03-24-2012, 09:58 PM

I'll find out when I catch practice on Monday.

Thoughts on QB, Brock healthy?

Brock is still recovering from his turf toe injury. Despite that, the true competition is squarely on who will play backup between Wentz and Thorton as opposed to either of those unseating Brock as the starter. Again, I'll have a better idea of where they all stand after a few practices.

onbison09
03-25-2012, 05:37 AM
Anyone else worried about punter?

4mcruenomore
03-25-2012, 02:27 PM

Not overly. Drago still work with them in his free time?

BisonNeil
03-25-2012, 03:21 PM

Kolpack replied on the media blog that Logan Hushka is currently #2, a preferred walk on from Shanley. I know a lot of people on BV said it was going to be Dinwiddie, but I never bought into that, DeShawn simply does not have a MLB type physique in my opinion.

BisonNeil
03-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Figured with drills kicking off this morning it wouldn't be a bad deal to get some updates rolling. I couldn't make it out this morning but caught Izzo and Kolpack's video blog, which is available here (http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/61091/).

Few tidbits worth noting:

- Marcus Williams and Brendin Pierre (back with the team) both had interceptions on day one.
- Dudzik is officially back at safety
- Grant Olson is getting major reps as starting MLB.
- Vraa and Jensen both at <100%
- Jemison, Jerve, Drevlow, and Juckem out for spring ball with injuries or recovery
- Team has three kickers on the roster, in addition to scholarship player Adam Keller is Lynk Downing and Miles Brooks
- Ben LeCompte is the only punter on the roster

Mostly-updated roster is available here (http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SPID=695&SPSID=11845).

Hope to see some Bisonvillers out on the field on Monday!

Anybody know who threw the INTs?

tjbison
03-25-2012, 03:51 PM
Anybody know who threw the INTs?

I heard Mertens came in for some reps........:hide:

:biggrin:

westnodak93bison
03-25-2012, 04:09 PM
Kolpack replied on the media blog that Logan Hushka is currently #2, a preferred walk on from Shanley. I know a lot of people on BV said it was going to be Dinwiddie, but I never bought into that, DeShawn simply does not have a MLB type physique in my opinion.

My arm chair analysis says Olson, Carter, Hushka at MLB. I think Carter is sitting out spring ball due to academic issues. Hope he gets everything in line. OLB will be Beck, Littlejohn, Jemison, Dinwiddie, Scoliere and I'm probably missing a few. Could Jemison play some MLB?

Mr. Burgundy
03-25-2012, 04:44 PM
My quick summary while catching some reps yesterday with Kermit.

Our QB's are large......and Wentz is significantly taller than the others. His arm is a cannon. A cannon. I am not saying he should play, I am firmly in the Brock camp, but it is absolutely a wealth of talent back there. You just have to love how Brock leads. I think it is very interesting who will emerge, Stanford looks very good too.

I thought the WR's looked good. Cooper Wahlo making big plays down field, Dunn is a big kid with solid hands, Vraa looks huge and catches everything. Great to see both he and Trevor healthy at WR. We have a bunch of kids there, just need to see someone step up. Lets just say they are COVERED by our DB's who are EVERYWHERE. Our QB's and WR's will have an easier job during games than they do against our DB's. The youth we have at Corner is impressive. GREAT to see Pierre back at Corner. CJ Smith, Colvin, Champion, it is nuts and I am leaving a few off. Our defensive backfield is scary good. Dudzik just carries himself like a winner. Coaches, stop throwing against Marcus, it doesn't work, and he knows it.....which is why he will be drafted in 2 years.

Didn't really look much at either line, but I love how Coach Fuchs interacts with the guys.

Perfect day, and watching the one on one passing drills between the WR/CB is a blast. Our QB's are big and strong and can make the throws. The best battle I saw was #13, the tall JUCO corner (I apologize, I can't think of his name right now) against Cooper Wahlo on a bomb from Brock. PERFECTLY THROWN, Cooper came down with it, but it was two very tall and long athletes going after it. Just realized that I didn't mention Ryan Smith. You can't guard him. He is too quick. It sounds easy to compare him to Wes Welker, but he is exactly that. Too quick to defend in space. He is going to be a monster again this year.

Overall, just a blast to watch the guys compete. Hopeing to take a look at the RB's next time. I would not want to pass against our defense.

BisonNeil
03-25-2012, 04:56 PM

Our QB's are large......and Wentz is significantly taller than the others. His arm is a cannon. A cannon. I am not saying he should play, I am firmly in the Brock camp, but it is absolutely a wealth of talent back there. You just have to love how Brock leads. I think it is very interesting who will emerge, Stanford looks very good too.

I thought the WR's looked good. Cooper Wahlo making big plays down field, Dunn is a big kid with solid hands, Vraa looks huge and catches everything. Great to see both he and Trevor healthy at WR. We have a bunch of kids there, just need to see someone step up. Lets just say they are COVERED by our DB's who are EVERYWHERE. Our QB's and WR's will have an easier job during games than they do against our DB's. The youth we have at Corner is impressive. GREAT to see Pierre back at Corner. CJ Smith, Colvin, Champion, it is nuts and I am leaving a few off. Our defensive backfield is scary good. Dudzik just carries himself like a winner. Coaches, stop throwing against Marcus, it doesn't work, and he knows it.....which is why he will be drafted in 2 years.

Didn't really look much at either line, but I love how Coach Fuchs interacts with the guys.

Perfect day, and watching the one on one passing drills between the WR/CB is a blast. Our QB's are big and strong and can make the throws. The best battle I saw was #13, the tall JUCO corner (I apologize, I can't think of his name right now) against Cooper Wahlo on a bomb from Brock. PERFECTLY THROWN, Cooper came down with it, but it was two very tall and long athletes going after it. Just realized that I didn't mention Ryan Smith. You can't guard him. He is too quick. It sounds easy to compare him to Wes Welker, but he is exactly that. Too quick to defend in space. He is going to be a monster again this year.

Overall, just a blast to watch the guys compete. Hopeing to take a look at the RB's next time. I would not want to pass against our defense.

Great stuff Burg! Thanks. I will be interested in your view, and others, concerning the OL development. I am interested in seeing who gets the nod to replace Richard and Cornick. Large shoes to fill there.

perthbison
03-25-2012, 05:09 PM

Our QB's are large......and Wentz is significantly taller than the others. His arm is a cannon. A cannon. The first thing that pops into my mind is how much motion is it for him to set and release it and is he seeing all the receivers. Did you get any insight there? I live 200+ miles away so I depend on u people who can go to practice for these details.

HerdBot
03-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Great stuff Burg! Thanks. I will be interested in your view, and others, concerning the OL development. I am interested in seeing who gets the nod to replace Richard and Cornick. Large shoes to fill there.

I too am curious. I think they figure out how to get the best 5 on the field. Left to right ...

Turner, Jerve, Lund, Gimmestad, Pomerenke . Maybe Heinz or Beckius. Who knows Lesar is listed as a guard and came in as a true frosh at 6-6, 315. Who knows how big he is now. Thats pretty massive for a left guard.

All these guys should be bigger than their listed weight

Mr. Burgundy
03-25-2012, 06:50 PM
The first thing that pops into my mind is how much motion is it for him to set and release it and is he seeing all the receivers. Did you get any insight there? I live 200+ miles away so I depend on u people who can go to practice for these details.

All I can say is there is nothing you don't like when watching Wentz out there. Nothing. He appears to be a total package. His size and arm strength are shocking. With that being said, all four QB's were very impressive to me yesterday. All 4 QB's get rid of the ball with accuracy and with some zip behind it, and were throwing to small windows as our DB's are all over the place.

Regarding OL....Not sure how Hinz isn't a starter. He dominated the playoff run as a true Freshman filling in for Lund. He had injuries last year and gave his spot back to Lund, I think he is one of our top 5 this year. Again, I did not watch much of the O Line, not sure who was working as a 1 with that unit.

Fast50Dad
03-25-2012, 06:56 PM

Here's the kickers and punters, don't know who's who.

Fast50Dad
03-25-2012, 07:08 PM
More pics from Saturday. I don't know if I enjoyed watching the team practice or listening to the intesity of Polasek (both verbally as well as when he was physically running plays with them) and Fuchs coaching the O line. Man Billy Turner is one big kid! I don't know who the equipment guy (on the right in the third picture) is, but #90 (helmet number) was wearing a jersey with #63 on it. Prior to putting helmets on (portion of practice) he walked over to the equipment guy is and said "Hey...", the equipment guy said, "what's up Austin", #90 just hung his head and said, "can you please just take my visor off?" I guess last year he broke his nose and used the visor. Pretty funny to see the staff being loose with the kids.

Go Bison!

4mcruenomore
03-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Awesome updates and pictures, keep them coming and very appreciated!!! Love seeing football being played/practiced on Dacotah Field.

Bison53
03-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Any signs of Oakland?

DjKyRo
03-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Any signs of Oakland?

Jeff and Dom reported seeing him in on snaps on Saturday.

ndsubison1
03-25-2012, 09:58 PM

have u not seen him recently? he is huge

Grizzled
03-25-2012, 09:58 PM
Regarding OL....Not sure how Hinz isn't a starter. He dominated the playoff run as a true Freshman filling in for Lund. He had injuries last year and gave his spot back to Lund, I think he is one of our top 5 this year. Again, I did not watch much of the O Line, not sure who was working as a 1 with that unit.

Thanks for the update Burgandy. Glad spring ball is finally here. Regarding Hinz physically he has proven he can play but he has a hard time with play books and recognition and reaction to what the D is doing. When he does recognize it though, he is as good as anyone.

ndsubison1
03-25-2012, 10:02 PM

good to read that about wahlo. holloway was our only deep threat last season and we need someone to stretch the defense

DjKyRo
03-25-2012, 10:04 PM
Feel free to post specific things you'd like to hear about or that you'd like myself or other spring practice goers to keep an eye out for. Kermit or Burgundy (and the half-dozen other Bisonvillers that make these consistently) are far better evaluators of talent than I am but I'll certainly do my best to address whatever folks want to know more about.

BisonNeil
03-25-2012, 11:26 PM
More pics from Saturday. I don't know if I enjoyed watching the team practice or listening to the intesity of Polasek (both verbally as well as when he was physically running plays with them) and Fuchs coaching the O line. Man Billy Turner is one big kid! I don't know who the equipment guy (on the right in the third picture) is, but #90 (helmet number) was wearing a jersey with #63 on it. Prior to putting helmets on (portion of practice) he walked over to the equipment guy is and said "Hey...", the equipment guy said, "what's up Austin", #90 just hung his head and said, "can you please just take my visor off?" I guess last year he broke his nose and used the visor. Pretty funny to see the staff being loose with the kids.

Go Bison!

Last year Tony LaVoy was #90, backup DT, I see they now have him at #63 on the roster. I remember him pulling like a guard for the fake punt in the NC game and thinking he looked very fluid running in front of Voit. It will be interesting to see if he makes an impact on the OL like Gimmestad did when he moved over last spring.

westnodak93bison
03-25-2012, 11:29 PM
imho, the most interesting part of this spring will be the relatively unknown/unproven guys fighting for either starting spots or #2/#3 on the depth chart.
Hearing the same story about how great Marcus looks at CB is kind of boring. Not taking him or other known commodities for granted by any means but we need to fill in the depth chart. That is what really interests me. Depth was huge for us last year.

HerdBot
03-26-2012, 12:11 AM
imho, the most interesting part of this spring will be the relatively unknown/unproven guys fighting for either starting spots or #2/#3 on the depth chart.
Hearing the same story about how great Marcus looks at CB is kind of boring. Not taking him or other known commodities for granted by any means but we need to fill in the depth chart. That is what really interests me. Depth was huge for us last year.

Yep. Guys like Lesar, Wahlo, Luecke, Colvin, Dinwiddie, who are borderline backups are more interesting. Also want to see who takes the step to the next level. Talkin about borderline starters like Heinz. And I want to see how the redshirt freshman do like Derrick Lee and Matt Jones. Want to see what starters take thw step and become super stars

westnodak93bison
03-26-2012, 01:45 AM
Yep. Guys like Lesar, Wahlo, Luecke, Colvin, Dinwiddie, who are borderline backups are more interesting. Also want to see who takes the step to the next level. Talkin about borderline starters like Heinz. And I want to see how the redshirt freshman do like Derrick Lee and Matt Jones. Want to see what starters take thw step and become super stars

Guys like Bonnet who supposedly was looking good at DE late last year. Leighton Talmadge interests me. When I watched him play BB at Bismarck High you could tell he had raw athletic ability. Not good enough foot work to be great at BB but he could jump and get where he wanted to be in a hurry...just may run a guy or two over getting there. How about Lyle Norman. Big kid coming in...probably a DT project. Also, three kickers to look at.

Bison"FANatic"
03-26-2012, 02:34 AM
Do any of you remember if the Kicker Keller was hurt last year in Spring ball also. I seem to remember something like that but when I search on here it only goes back to about Oct last year for threads then skips back to a few 06 threads.

onbison09
03-26-2012, 03:20 AM
Feel free to post specific things you'd like to hear about or that you'd like myself or other spring practice goers to keep an eye out for. Kermit or Burgundy (and the half-dozen other Bisonvillers that make these consistently) are far better evaluators of talent than I am but I'll certainly do my best to address whatever folks want to know more about.

Kicking game

DjKyRo
03-26-2012, 03:27 AM
Kicking game

Noted. What I will mention is that we have equal reason to be concerned regarding the punting game as we did last season, and that turned out quite well. That said, I'm eager to see how LeCompte looks.

BisonNeil
03-26-2012, 03:13 PM

Tell me more about this Heinz guy you think is a borderline player. What position does he play :D

bri-dog
03-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Tell me more about this Heinz guy you think is a borderline player. What position does he play :D

I think he's number 57. :biggrin:

He's probably a little behind everybody else, but he'll ketchup...

Notorious
03-26-2012, 03:54 PM
How about more pictures of the punters and kickers stretching? Or, maybe playing their PSPs? ;)

Ginsbach
03-26-2012, 04:07 PM
How about more pictures of the punters and kickers stretching? Or, maybe playing their PSPs? ;)

If Chris Kluwe can do it...

HerdBot
03-26-2012, 04:37 PM
I think he's number 57. :biggrin:

He's probably a little behind everybody else, but he'll ketchup...

My darn auto complete doesn't like the spelling Hinz and for some reason thinks he's ketchup. Nice play on words. Same with Dacotah Field. It usually looks something like this... Heinz is playing ketchup practicing on Dakota Field. Makes me look like an ass clown.

KSBisonFan
03-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Kicking game

I'm curious who emerges as the place kicker. Interesting to see if we settle on 1 for all FG's and kickoffs or if we use a couple different guys for FG's and another for kickoffs. Complete unknown at the K position so hopefully we have a reliable one in the wings who'll step up.

ndbj52
03-26-2012, 06:59 PM
I am interested in the Linebacker position. We lost two good starters and coach. I want to see who steps up to take those positions and they guys that will rotate in. I also want to see what the new coach does with these guys. There are a lot of young guys and lots of opportunity at this position I believe.

KSBisonFan
03-26-2012, 08:46 PM
I am interested in the Linebacker position. We lost two good starters and coach. I want to see who steps up to take those positions and they guys that will rotate in. I also want to see what the new coach does with these guys. There are a lot of young guys and lots of opportunity at this position I believe.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/355269/

Piece on the LB position and Preston Evans doing some coaching.

DjKyRo
03-26-2012, 09:07 PM
For those planning to head out in the next day or two and wanting a roster (waiting on your annual PDF, GradBison ;)), I cropped together the roster from gobison.com such that names, positions, years, and measurables should be printable on a single sheet of paper.

Link: http://i.imgur.com/qgvBj.png

CaBisonFan
03-26-2012, 09:42 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/355269/

Piece on the LB position and Preston Evans doing some coaching.

...thanks KS...

BisBison
03-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Today, someone at the office told me that Esley was transferring to U-Mary per Jack Michaels on 710 AM radio in Bismarck. Didn't hear it myself, just hoping he was wrong. Anyone else hear anything?

DjKyRo
03-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Today, someone at the office told me that Esley was transferring to U-Mary per Jack Michaels on 710 AM radio in Bismarck. Didn't hear it myself, just hoping he was wrong. Anyone else hear anything?

A caller called in to Jack's show and stated he heard Esley was transferring. Esley is still on the spring roster.

Apologies for not having a confirmation of seeing him at practice, I could only stay very briefly today and the wind wasn't too cooperative. I'll see if I can spot him on Wednesday.

EndZoneQB
03-26-2012, 10:36 PM
A caller called in to Jack's show and stated he heard Esley was transferring. Esley is still on the spring roster.

Apologies for not having a confirmation of seeing him at practice, I could only stay very briefly today and the wind wasn't too cooperative. I'll see if I can spot him on Wednesday.

He was there the other day in one of the pictures posted earlier.

We've been hearing Esley was transferring to U-Mary since we recruited him...

DjKyRo
03-26-2012, 10:38 PM
He was there the other day in one of the pictures posted earlier.

We've been hearing Esley was transferring to U-Mary since we recruited him...

True points both.

HandoEX
03-26-2012, 10:45 PM
I am 100% sure that Esley was there throwing at practice today.

BisBison
03-26-2012, 11:14 PM
I am 100% sure that Esley was there throwing at practice today.

Good to hear. This guy is a U-Mary grad so I should have taken what he said with a grain of salt. I've been hearing all the transfer rumors for months too, never gave them any cred, but this time he told me that Jack Michaels said it. Should have known better. Thanks for the info.

X-Factor
03-26-2012, 11:59 PM
The rumor doesn't make a lot of sense. He just won a national title playing at a pretty high level. He is competitive. Why give that up to go play catch at a college with no exposure? Esley can see the field, maybe not at QB, but he is certainly good enough athlete to see the field.

ndsubison1
03-27-2012, 12:15 AM

this rumor has been around ever since he stepped foot on campus. but i guess you never know what a kid is thinking. its pretty much wishful thinking for bismarck people

BisBison
03-27-2012, 12:49 AM
this rumor has been around ever since he stepped foot on campus. but i guess you never know what a kid is thinking. its pretty much wishful thinking for bismarck people

Not this Bismarck people.:)

GradBison
03-27-2012, 02:29 PM
For those planning to head out in the next day or two and wanting a roster (waiting on your annual PDF, GradBison ;)), I cropped together the roster from gobison.com such that names, positions, years, and measurables should be printable on a single sheet of paper.

Link: http://i.imgur.com/qgvBj.png

Your solution works very well KyRo! Here's my somewhat redundant PDF: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?27340-2012-roster-updated-on-gobison&p=615809#post615809

HerdBot
03-27-2012, 05:14 PM
Is it just me or does media coverage suck this year. Where are the articles and news stories from Monday? Edit looks like wday.com has some good stuff today

HerdBot
03-28-2012, 05:06 PM
The lack of updates are kind of sad.

DjKyRo
03-28-2012, 05:09 PM

There hasn't been a practice since Monday and it was closed. When do you plan on swinging out to practice so we can compare notes? Team hits the field today at 4:30 p.m.

BadlandsBison
03-28-2012, 06:28 PM

They just started. And don't you live in Fargo? Its not like the starters will be chosen this week, its mostly technique drills anyways

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

tcbison
03-28-2012, 06:35 PM
They just started. And don't you live in Fargo? Its not like the starters will be chosen this week, its mostly technique drills anyways

I thought they were recording 40-yard dash times :rofl::rofl::rofl::hide:

southcliffbison
03-28-2012, 06:53 PM
I thought they were recording 40-yard dash times :rofl::rofl::rofl::hide:

Are you saying they're important?

HerdBot
03-28-2012, 07:22 PM
There hasn't been a practice since Monday and it was closed. When do you plan on swinging out to practice so we can compare notes? Team hits the field today at 4:30 p.m.

That explains it. I'm inpatient. So since there hasnt been a practice since Monday I guess its actually been solid

bri-dog
03-28-2012, 07:59 PM
That explains it. I'm inpatient. So since there hasnt been a practice since Monday I guess its actually been solid

Complications to your "little procedure"?

J/K, I'm guessing smartphone again...:biggrin:

HerdBot
03-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Complications to your "little procedure"?

J/K, I'm guessing smartphone again...:biggrin:

At least it didn't say incontinent

jarhead
03-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Outstanding "D" with lots of depth. Shepherd at safety with Heagle and Dudzik, all looked good. Luecke looking very good at DT alongside someone I couldn't I.D.,
probably Schaetz. Linebackers were all aggressive filling holes, D.D. laid a smackdown on Lang, but no real hitting allowed. Speed at LB & DB is impressive. All
three of the new DBs (Colvin, Champion and Smith) looked good. Coverage was crazy good.

All 4 QBs looked good. Esley is def #2 and looked very relaxed running the "O". Wentz seems to be #3 and, as has been mentioned, has a cannon for an arm. No
discernible drop-off with Ryan Stanford either. Ojuri, Lang and Jones all looked very good running the ball. Didn't realize Lang is as fast as he is. Jones has a good
combination of speed and power and is patient reading blocks. They all looked good catching balls out of the backfield as did Andrew Bonnet, who is a beast. They
all also looked pretty good in pass protection.

O line also fine. Pomerenke was at RT and was doing a good job in pass protection and drive blocking. Jesse Hinz was playing RT on second team, seemed to be
a little out of place but is a good enough athlete that he made it work. Scoville looked good pulling, not as big as most of the others but has good technique. Lund,
Gymmestad and Billy all looked good. Only saw the second unit for a few minutes but they were making some decent holes for Jones.

Tight ends, not much to report - mostly blocking. For the most part they all were catching the ball in position drills. They are all BIG bodies. Luke Albers is listed
at 6' 5" but looks bigger. Leighton Talmadge easily looks 6' 6". I still think he could end up being a stud. Mike Hardy also looking good at DE.

WRs have their hands full running against our "D". Cooper and Gebhart have great speed and CAN catch the ball. Vraa has great hands and uses his body very wellMoody and Okland looked good in position drills but didn't have a lot of balls thrown to them. They both look like good athletes, willing blockers.

Dj might have something to add. I know he was watching the punters and mentioned a Vraa reception I didn't see.

DjKyRo
03-29-2012, 12:14 AM
Don't have too much to add on top of what jarhead's already got up (nice to meet you out there, as well!).

Got a decent look at the #1 guys. Wahlo is taking plenty of snaps in a rotation with Gebhart and Vraa in two-receiver sets, didn't spot any tight ends making catches in the few minutes I caught them. Vraa had what will probably end up as the best catch of spring ball, split double coverage and came down with a one-hander. Pierre was working with the #1's at corner, and he, Heagle and Brian Shepherd all came away with interceptions. Our secondary has the potential to be scary good.

Punters were a rotation of LeCompte and walk-ons Downing and Brooks. Got a look at the first two, and Downing particularly seemed more consistent though both had a few that were downed at the 5 or closer. Race for punter isn't as cut-and-dried as I thought it would be for sure.

KSBisonFan
03-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Don't have too much to add on top of what jarhead's already got up (nice to meet you out there, as well!).

Got a decent look at the #1 guys. Wahlo is taking plenty of snaps in a rotation with Gebhart and Vraa in two-receiver sets, didn't spot any tight ends making catches in the few minutes I caught them. Vraa had what will probably end up as the best catch of spring ball, split double coverage and came down with a one-hander. Pierre was working with the #1's at corner, and he, Heagle and Brian Shepherd all came away with interceptions. Our secondary has the potential to be scary good.

Punters were a rotation of LeCompte and walk-ons Downing and Brooks. Got a look at the first two, and Downing particularly seemed more consistent though both had a few that were downed at the 5 or closer. Race for punter isn't as cut-and-dried as I thought it would be for sure.

Which QB is throwing the INT's mentioned?

BisonNeil
03-29-2012, 02:39 AM

Sounds like everyone is so good that the Bison should be 15-0 with absolutely no problem.

4mcruenomore
03-29-2012, 02:53 AM
Why won't anyone say who is throwing int's? That's twice now.

onbison09
03-29-2012, 03:06 AM
What about the running back who transferred from Kansas?

westnodak93bison
03-29-2012, 03:12 AM
What about the running back who transferred from Kansas?

Maybe you are thinking of the Dinwiddie kid? I think he graduates juco this spring and will be here for fall camp.

onbison09
03-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Maybe you are thinking of the Dinwiddie kid? I think he graduates juco this spring and will be here for fall camp.

Thank you sir. I was worried I missed something

JustinTyem
03-29-2012, 03:39 AM
Why won't anyone say who is throwing int's? That's twice now.Thats because the player is Brett Favre,Everybody knows that every time Brett throws the ball,it ends up as a Int!!!!

jarhead
03-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Why won't anyone say who is throwing int's? That's twice now.

I can't speak for Dj or anyone else, but I'm not interested in stirring the pot. The INTs noted were by First unit defenders which would intimate they were thrown by
first unit QBs. I'm not a coach and from my vantage point it appeared the passing lanes were flooded, guys flying around and closing. Hate sounding redundant but
the coverage was impressive. I only saw a couple of passes I would characterize as badly thrown, none I would characterize as "what the hell was he thinking?". If
the DBs look good it must be because the receivers & QBs aren't any good. If the receivers and QBs look good it must be because our secondary sucks - same old
S#*%. From my perspective, the "D" is looking ready for another run. The only negative yesterday was the lack of depth at DT (due to Drevlow & Juckem nursing
injuries). We need to I.D. a backup MLB, whether it's Carter (didn't participate) or DD or even Jacob Davis or Riopelle as the season progresses. DD is light for the
position, but the kid is strong and can really hit.
It's normal for offenses to come around more slowly than defenses and that's the case. I was impressed with some individual play, really wanted to see how the
young linemen and receivers would perform. The interior O linemen are hard to observe in the scrum and they weren't going against the starting D line, but I think
they were holding their own against a very good "D". Sweeps and reverses were stretched and snuffed by very good pursuit and DBs getting off blocks.
I don't know about 15-0 but I really believe we're a very talented team with enough depth to make a playoff run. The rest is up to the players, coaches and the
other teams. "On any given day".

KSBisonFan
03-29-2012, 01:09 PM
I can't speak for Dj or anyone else, but I'm not interested in stirring the pot. The INTs noted were by First unit defenders which would intimate they were thrown by
first unit QBs. I'm not a coach and from my vantage point it appeared the passing lanes were flooded, guys flying around and closing. Hate sounding redundant but
the coverage was impressive. I only saw a couple of passes I would characterize as badly thrown, none I would characterize as "what the hell was he thinking?". If
the DBs look good it must be because the receivers & QBs aren't any good. If the receivers and QBs look good it must be because our secondary sucks - same old
S#*%. From my perspective, the "D" is looking ready for another run. The only negative yesterday was the lack of depth at DT (due to Drevlow & Juckem nursing
injuries). We need to I.D. a backup MLB, whether it's Carter (didn't participate) or DD or even Jacob Davis or Riopelle as the season progresses. DD is light for the
position, but the kid is strong and can really hit.
It's normal for offenses to come around more slowly than defenses and that's the case. I was impressed with some individual play, really wanted to see how the
young linemen and receivers would perform. The interior O linemen are hard to observe in the scrum and they weren't going against the starting D line, but I think
they were holding their own against a very good "D". Sweeps and reverses were stretched and snuffed by very good pursuit and DBs getting off blocks.
I don't know about 15-0 but I really believe we're a very talented team with enough depth to make a playoff run. The rest is up to the players, coaches and the
other teams. "On any given day".

Thanks for the insight, Jarhead. Not at all trying to stir any pot with regard to INT's but those of us who wish we could be there to watch are just curious. Lot's of factors make that stuff happen in practice so I'm not concerned. In practice defenses will cheat and jump routes, could be tipped balls, could be QB practicing going through all progressions. Not to mention our secondary is going to be badass....no biggie. That's why it's practice.
Keep the updates coming, guys!

DjKyRo
03-29-2012, 03:21 PM

Brock and Esley threw one each on the #1's (the ones Heagle and Pierre came down with). I was standing on the opposite side of the field when Shepherd caught his so didn't see who threw that one.

Brock's came when he tried to go deep to Vraa with three defenders around him. Someone else disrupted the pass and it pretty much fell into Heagle's hands.He got about 20 yards back with it from where he caught it.

dragonsfan
03-29-2012, 04:17 PM
does the Cyr kid from DGF have a chance to make the team? I saw an article in forum, he was a beast in the HOL.

Tatanka
03-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Walks like a duck: Check.
Talks like a duck: Check.
Analysis: Clearly a legit Dragons fan with a koala as an avatar.

jarhead
03-29-2012, 05:44 PM
Brock and Esley threw one each on the #1's (the ones Heagle and Pierre came down with). I was standing on the opposite side of the field when Shepherd caught his so didn't see who threw that one.

Brock's came when he tried to go deep to Vraa with three defenders around him. Someone else disrupted the pass and it pretty much fell into Heagle's hands.He got about 20 yards back with it from where he caught it.

Thanks Dj, I really didn't want to go there.

All walk-ons face an uphill battle and Cyr is no exception. This is as negative as I ever hope to be concerning any player but, during passing drills it seemed Cyr was a step slow
getting into the pattern. That could just be my perception or his lack of familiarity with the offense. Whatever, he sounds like a kid with a lot of "wanna" and I hope he makes it.
I also didn't notice Brennan Cable, another walk-on FB. There were others I wanted to watch but didn't including Joe Haeg, Anthony LaVoy, Adam Schueller etc. I'll try to watch
those guys next time.

I didn't bother mentioning Marcus, Billy, Kyle Emmanuel, Cole Jirik, Grant Olson and others because they were all playing at the level we have come to expect from them.

The QBs weren't running the ball so that also affected how the rest of the offense worked. There are still some timing issues with the offense that need to be worked out once the
depth chart is solidified, but the talent is there. Good news is we have good depth, which is very important in the MVC.

17>1
03-30-2012, 12:28 AM
I think most Bison football fans would agree with me when I say we enjoy seeing any type of media coverage on the local news about the team. However, the piece Valley News Live did last night had me scratching my head a bit. The opener mentioned the team was practicing and were using pads now. Then they interviewed Kyle Emmanueal about what he thought about wearing pads and the injury potential between wearing them and not wearing them during practice. Is this seriously the kind of information the average Bison fan really cares about? We're coming off a National Championship and we lost X amount of seniors, so maybe mention a few position battles that are underway in trying to fill those shoes. I understand there are plenty of spring practices to cover, but I think the dropped the ball with this story. Just my $.02

56BISON73
03-30-2012, 02:27 AM
I think most Bison football fans would agree with me when I say we enjoy seeing any type of media coverage on the local news about the team. However, the piece Valley News Live did last night had me scratching my head a bit. The opener mentioned the team was practicing and were using pads now. Then they interviewed Kyle Emmanueal about what he thought about wearing pads and the injury potential between wearing them and not wearing them during practice. Is this seriously the kind of information the average Bison fan really cares about? We're coming off a National Championship and we lost X amount of seniors, so maybe mention a few position battles that are underway in trying to fill those shoes. I understand there are plenty of spring practices to cover, but I think the dropped the ball with this story. Just my $.02

Its not the information in as much as the stupidity of the question.

Tatanka
03-30-2012, 04:07 AM
I expect nothing more from an organization led by Dan Hammer.

Notorious
03-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I expect nothing more from an organization led by Dan Hammer.

If I was him, I would literally have a 5 minute segment on the Saturday night news every weekend...right before SNL, called "Hammer Time", with the MC Hammer theme song, of course, where I would spend this brief time making fun of anything and everyone, in the F-M public eye...kind of like the deal David Spade did many years ago. I'd also do it in a retro '80s kind of way. I think it would be huge.

*When this actually happens, I expect all of you will come to my defense in my efforts for fair compensation from the Valley leader.

344Johnson
03-30-2012, 11:31 PM
Tight ends, not much to report - mostly blocking. For the most part they all were catching the ball in position drills. They are all BIG bodies. Luke Albers is listed
at 6' 5" but looks bigger. Leighton Talmadge easily looks 6' 6". I still think he could end up being a stud. Mike Hardy also looking good at DE.

In my math class. Extremely tall. 6' 6" sounds about right.

Answer Guy
03-31-2012, 02:53 AM
In my math class.

Is he flunking also?

westnodak93bison
03-31-2012, 03:36 AM
This thread is pretty much worthless.

EndZoneQB
03-31-2012, 06:37 AM
This thread is pretty much worthless.

Relax. When there is new information, it will be posted. Keep your panties out of a bundle...

jarhead
03-31-2012, 06:56 PM
I couldn't get to practice this morning, so I don't know if it was open/closed. I'll try to get out there on Monday but it looks like rain. Gotta tell you guys that when you're out there
and trying to stay out of everybody's way, you miss a lot. Everybody's got a favorite player or set of priorities they want to hear about and we might not be able to observe those
particulars on any given day. 1st & 2nd units flip ends of the field at half, which allows us to see each unit for a half but also means we miss pretty much everything the other unit
is doing for that half. Gotta bear with it.

17>1
04-01-2012, 02:34 AM
Not sure if I have anything of significance to add to this thread, but I made it out to practice today for about a half an hour. I Watched the 1st team O run plays against the 1st team D. I'm assuming every one knows the depth chart already so I don't need to rehash who was playing where, unless CAS is reading this and therefore I'll point out that Heagle was playing Strong Safety on every snap ;). I may have read somewhere that someone suspected Vaadeland was getting more snaps than Nelson and I'm not sure this is entirely true. I think they get equal snaps and are in based upon the play call. I would agree maybe Vaadeland maybe catches the ball more, but Taylor is a good blocker and is also used in the PA personell. My observations were solely on the 1st teamers so don't ask about any young players on the up and up. If I had anything on that, I'd post it in the "Players who could surprise" thread. Heard alot of banter between the D and Brock. Obviously he wears the red jersey for a reason, so as to not get lit up, but if a D man is close enough to draw a whistle, they sure let him know they could have just sent him into next week. On one particular QB sweep play, Brock made some nifty moves and I could hear him saying to the D, "All day, All day". In which someone replied, "Lose that red shirt man, and we'll see". Anyway, if anyone has a question about anything in particular about what I saw, ask away.

344Johnson
04-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Is he flunking also?

ouch. burn. i'm going to go buy some aloe.

YOUVEBEENTHUNDERSTRUCK
04-02-2012, 02:50 AM
Good to hear there is no injures through camp so far lol
(Kyle Emanuel)

westnodak93bison
04-02-2012, 03:05 AM
(Kyle Emanuel)

Not the smartest thing to do imho. (pic).

HerdBot
04-02-2012, 03:36 PM
Not sure if I have anything of significance to add to this thread, but I made it out to practice today for about a half an hour. I Watched the 1st team O run plays against the 1st team D. I'm assuming every one knows the depth chart already so I don't need to rehash who was playing where, unless CAS is reading this and therefore I'll point out that Heagle was playing Strong Safety on every snap ;). I may have read somewhere that someone suspected Vaadeland was getting more snaps than Nelson and I'm not sure this is entirely true. I think they get equal snaps and are in based upon the play call. I would agree maybe Vaadeland maybe catches the ball more, but Taylor is a good blocker and is also used in the PA personell. My observations were solely on the 1st teamers so don't ask about any young players on the up and up. If I had anything on that, I'd post it in the "Players who could surprise" thread. Heard alot of banter between the D and Brock. Obviously he wears the red jersey for a reason, so as to not get lit up, but if a D man is close enough to draw a whistle, they sure let him know they could have just sent him into next week. On one particular QB sweep play, Brock made some nifty moves and I could hear him saying to the D, "All day, All day". In which someone replied, "Lose that red shirt man, and we'll see". Anyway, if anyone has a question about anything in particular about what I saw, ask away.

Who was a RT?

Tatanka
04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Who was a RT?

Roger Thomas. Next question.

BadlandsBison
04-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Roger Thomas. Next question.

But no cut blocking, right?

Notorious
04-02-2012, 05:41 PM
But no cut blocking, right?

I'm partial to the backside fold. It hurts a lot longer...like a lifetime ;)

MNLonghorn10
04-02-2012, 06:19 PM
(Kyle Emanuel)

oh thats smart.

17>1
04-02-2012, 09:42 PM
Who was a RT?

Not sure about that, sorry.

KilldeerBison
04-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Bump. Anything new? Thanks:)

perthbison
04-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Bump. Anything new? Thanks:)Yes. I repaired three miles of poor fence yesterday and I have some NEW aches and pains.:biggrin:

CAS4127
04-06-2012, 03:04 PM
Bump. Anything new? Thanks:)

I feel a dump coming on-->does that count as "new"?!?!?

KSBisonFan
04-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I feel a dump coming on-->does that count as "new"?!?!?

That would have originated yesterday so no......not new.

CAS4127
04-06-2012, 03:13 PM
That would have originated yesterday so no......not new.

Well, Notorious considers it "giving birth", so I beg to differ!!

KSBisonFan
04-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Once you're crowning and have named it, then it becomes news. Til then, it's yesterday night's dinner.

CAS4127
04-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Once you're crowning and have named it, then it becomes news. Til then, it's yesterday night's dinner.

Here we go again!!:facepalm:

With that, Peace out BV and have a good Easter weekend!!

Notorious
04-06-2012, 03:45 PM

Only if greater than 5 lbs, does "she" get a name.

roadwarrior
04-07-2012, 05:40 PM
Matt Jones is going to be a guy to watch at the spring game. He had several good runs and catches at today's scrimmage.

BisonNeil
04-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Craig Haley of TSN has a pretty good article on the different approaches being taken by the FCS finalists in spring practice. NDSU figures prominently in several articles of his since the FCS championship game, and this one is pretty good. Obviously NDSU has more to replace than SHSU with 11 seniors gone.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_4_5_2012.htm

Another interesting article of his discusses the FBS vs FCS matchups in 2012, how many there will be this year, and the most likely FCS teams to win. Yep, NDSU again, but I also liked the poke he took at Minnesota.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4490964

Bison Dan
04-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Craig Haley of TSN has a pretty good article on the different approaches being taken by the FCS finalists in spring practice. NDSU figures prominently in several articles of his since the FCS championship game, and this one is pretty good. Obviously NDSU has more to replace than SHSU with 11 seniors gone.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_4_5_2012.htm

Another interesting article of his discusses the FBS vs FCS matchups in 2012, how many there will be this year, and the most likely FCS teams to win. Yep, NDSU again, but I also liked the poke he took at Minnesota.

http://64.246.64.33/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4490964

Good write-ups - TSN has USD in the Big Sky.

HerdBot
04-09-2012, 08:28 PM

Solid write up although I think were returning so many letterman that we have the potential to be even better if the young guys put it all together.

X-Factor
04-10-2012, 12:17 AM

I understand where he is coming from, but the article seems pretty slanted to me. It almost sounds like we should roll over and bow down to the "2011 National Runner-Up!" I would take a matchup against shsu any week of the season and feel VERY confident about that one

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ndsubison1
04-10-2012, 01:01 AM

those are good articles. now that we won it all we are obviously getting more attention. We'll be fine at LB. Losing Willson and Evans are huge holes, but I think Grant Olson is a better overall LB than Evans, plus Beck and Littlejohn, plus Jemison are all solid. A concern of mine is DT depth, plus as we already know, the OL.

HerdBot
04-10-2012, 10:17 PM
those are good articles. now that we won it all we are obviously getting more attention. We'll be fine at LB. Losing Willson and Evans are huge holes, but I think Grant Olson is a better overall LB than Evans, plus Beck and Littlejohn, plus Jemison are all solid. A concern of mine is DT depth, plus as we already know, the OL.

Evans was good but a little undersized. I think Olson has more size and speed and he appears to be pretty smart as well.

Right now DT depth is weak but it will be excellent if we can get Horvath back, Lueke improves, and Schaetz continues to play well. Last year it was arguably much worse. On top of that, I expect to see Drevlow, Juckem, and Perry to show some big time improvements. Kolpack tweeted that all 3 of those guys could be near or above 300 pounds come fall.

The online... it's sort of scary when a guy like Lavoy earns the starting spot that quickly. He's really not that big either.

westnodak93bison
04-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Evans was good but a little undersized. I think Olson has more size and speed and he appears to be pretty smart as well.

Right now DT depth is weak but it will be excellent if we can get Horvath back, Lueke improves, and Schaetz continues to play well. Last year it was arguably much worse. On top of that, I expect to see Drevlow, Juckem, and Perry to show some big time improvements. Kolpack tweeted that all 3 of those guys could be near or above 300 pounds come fall.

The online... it's sort of scary when a guy like Lavoy earns the starting spot that quickly. He's really not that big either.

Gimmestad came in and did a good job. A lean-mean 290lbs is sometimes better than a soft 300lb imho. Height and weight are over rated imho. Beck undersized at 210 and held his own.

EndZoneQB
04-10-2012, 10:44 PM
[/B]

Gimmestad came in and did a good job. A lean-mean 290lbs is sometimes better than a soft 300lb imho. Height and weight are over rated imho. Beck undersized at 210 and held his own.

I disagree. It's all about 4.4 40s and 300lbs....if you don't fit those categories, you do not belong on the field...at NDSU.

HerdBot
04-10-2012, 11:12 PM
[/B]

I think it's more of a knock on the guys he's beating out. I was shocked when Gimmestad won the starting role but actually played well. That's why i'm not the coach.

Seems like our guards are typically shorter though but our tackles are giants at 6-6, 6-7

He's replacing Austin Richards who came in at 340 and "slimmed down" to 314 his senior year. Actually Lavoy has the potential to be huge. He was 6-4 284 last year so he should be able to get to 300. And he's agile having ran the ball in high school.

It's more of a mental thing. They say O-line is tough to learn. He hasn't played it before. He's a tad undersized. And he's can't possibly know the playbook as well. But that was the same thing I said about Gimmestad

Scooter1
04-10-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm not worried about the offensive line.

Lavoy is going to be a very good offensive lineman. (why does it always have to be a knock on the guys he is beating out? Maybe he is just that good)
Gimmestad will be even better next season
Turner is in season #3 and will have one side locked down
Lund is also in season #3 as a starter
Hinz is a beast and can play anywhere
Beckius is a senior and will contribute
Jerve and Pomerenke both can play and should be healthy by fall
Schueller needs a good fall camp

I'm REALLY not worried about the interior defensive line position for next fall. It will be stacked. Perry, Luecke, Juckem, Drevlow, Schaetz, Horvath

BisonNeil
04-11-2012, 01:32 AM
Lavoy is going to be a very good offensive lineman. (why does it always have to be a knock on the guys he is beating out? Maybe he is just that good)

It probably has more to do with the fact that LaVoy was a third string DT, just like Gimmestad was last year, was moved to OL and both become OL starters within a very short period of time (only part way through a single spring practice). Throw in the fact that LaVoy was a PWO and I think it is safe to assume that the scholarship guys he is beating out who have been working the OL since they arrived on campus are not that good, or at least have not met Fuch's expectations.

SamsRams
04-11-2012, 02:07 AM
I must have missed a post.......when was Lavoy listed as a starter?

westnodak93bison
04-11-2012, 02:08 AM
It probably has more to do with the fact that LaVoy was a third string DT, just like Gimmestad was last year, was moved to OL and both become OL starters within a very short period of time (only part way through a single spring practice). Throw in the fact that LaVoy was a PWO and I think it is safe to assume that the scholarship guys he is beating out who have been working the OL since they arrived on campus are not that good, or at least have not met Fuch's expectations.

or they can't stay healthy

KilldeerBison
04-11-2012, 04:50 PM
I must have missed a post.......when was Lavoy listed as a starter?

In the Forum http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/357067/

BisonNation11
04-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Two speed guys as the lead receivers should leave the middle of the field open for the tight ends and screens. Hope they can take advantage of those situations. Should help keep safeties back for the run game as well.

tolnabison
04-11-2012, 05:39 PM
In the Forum http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/357067/

The most important thing I took from that article is what was posted on the bottom. Bohl does not expect Don Carter to be back with the team. Hurts our depth, and almost guarantees a true freshman playing time. Probably Jacob Davis, but maybe even Chuks Ameachi.

HerdBot
04-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Well put. Although Im pretty confident that with Pomerenke, Hinz, and Jerve all at RT, one of those guys will move to LG. Those are 3 solid players. Problem is 2 of them are hurt and Corville is dinged too

SamsRams
04-11-2012, 10:26 PM
The most important thing I took from that article is what was posted on the bottom. Bohl does not expect Don Carter to be back with the team. Hurts our depth, and almost guarantees a true freshman playing time. Probably Jacob Davis, but maybe even Chuks Ameachi.

Chuks was recruited as a DE. Riopelle or Stumpf would be true freshman that play LB

X-Factor
04-12-2012, 02:18 AM

Just a random thought, but maybe the coaches have been too concerned with size and not enough with agility and athleticism at the OL spot. But I would tend to agree, that the OL recruits havn't really panned out quite as good as maybe some of the other positions. Good enough to win a national championship with no problem, but I think we were spoiled with the OL that was put together in '06 and '07. Those were some good lines.

EndZoneQB
04-12-2012, 02:49 AM
Just a random thought, but maybe the coaches have been too concerned with size and not enough with agility and athleticism at the OL spot. But I would tend to agree, that the OL recruits havn't really panned out quite as good as maybe some of the other positions. Good enough to win a national championship with no problem, but I think we were spoiled with the OL that was put together in '06 and '07. Those were some good lines.

I assure you, our coaches are not gabe.

JustinTyem
04-12-2012, 02:51 AM
Just a random thought, but maybe the coaches have been too concerned with size and not enough with agility and athleticism at the OL spot. But I would tend to agree, that the OL recruits havn't really panned out quite as good as maybe some of the other positions. Good enough to win a national championship with no problem, but I think we were spoiled with the OL that was put together in '06 and '07. Those were some good lines.MMMMMMMMM,Maybe the DL is filled of top players,and after watching the Championship fake punt using him as a blocker,thats why the change has something to do with it.

ndsubison1
04-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Our OL was not great last season. Above average and only average at times. They are down grading this season imo which is why it should be a concern

HerdBot
04-12-2012, 03:36 AM
I assure you, our coaches are not gabe.

Im still trying to figure out why Im branded as a guy who only cares about 40 times. Im quite opposite. Why because I once said I didnt think we should put a running back on scholarship that ran a 5 flat? Because I dont conclude that since Jerry Rice ran a 4.8 everyone who runs a 4.8 is great. Because i dont think we should have onlineman under 300 pounds much less ones that transferred from a D2 school that is a walkon and has ne er played oline in college ? Last time I checked our winning formula has included massive o lineman and running ba ks who are fast . The little guy Gimmestad was 299.

JustinTyem
04-12-2012, 03:39 AM
Our OL was not great last season. Above average and only average at times. They are down grading this season imo which is why it should be a concern???????? Isnt the job of a Head Coach to find the "BEST" players for the "BEST" positions they can play??? I myself,think this OL will be better then last year.

RunDMc34
04-12-2012, 04:05 AM
Chuks was recruited as a DE. Riopelle or Stumpf would be true freshman that play LB

I dont think stumpf will be ready for next year. he tore up his shoulder pretty good and really hasn't lifted at all since that injury

HerdBot
04-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Our OL was not great last season. Above average and only average at times. They are down grading this season imo which is why it should be a concern

I think Turner, Lund and Gimmestad will be better just on experience alone. Cornick and Richard will be downgrades but every year guys step up. I remember a few years ago we thought we were screwed when Cornick replaced Buckman and we were fine. We need to find 2 guys between Pomerenke, Jerve, Hinz, Corville, and apparently Lavoy. And who knows about Schuler or Nack.

JustinTyem
04-12-2012, 04:59 AM
I think Turner, Lund and Gimmestad will be better just on experience alone. Cornick and Richard will be downgrades but every year guys step up. I remember a few years ago we thought we were screwed when Cornick replaced Buckman and we were fine. We need to find 2 guys between Pomerenke, Jerve, Hinz, Corville, and apparently Lavoy. And who knows about Schuler or Nack.BINGO !!! I to feel that same way,ouch this hurts to admit it!!!!

344Johnson
04-12-2012, 07:08 AM

This. During the Sam Houston game, DJ and Sam didn't have room at all to run. Granted, that is a national championship game against a very good team, but the offense was rough, in particular the running game. Couple other times throughout the season I remember being frustrated with the O-Line who I expected to be exceptional. Hopefully everything pans out well. I don't care who starts, just make holes for the backs, protect Brock, win games.

SamsRams
04-12-2012, 10:30 AM
This. During the Sam Houston game, DJ and Sam didn't have room at all to run. Granted, that is a national championship game against a very good team, but the offense was rough, in particular the running game. Couple other times throughout the season I remember being frustrated with the O-Line who I expected to be exceptional. Hopefully everything pans out well. I don't care who starts, just make holes for the backs, protect Brock, win games.

yeah they did struggle in Frisco, but that was the first time any of them played a real game in January. but the uni game they were absolutely amazing. austin richard dominated their all american defensive tackle

Bison Dan
04-12-2012, 12:32 PM
I think you have to remember our passing game was hurt by injuries and many teams put 7-8 men in the box. Hard to consistently run against that. When we open the O up the running game will come around. Remember every team we face want's to stop our running game.

KilldeerBison
04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
yeah they did struggle in Frisco, but that was the first time any of them played a real game in January. but the uni game they were absolutely amazing. austin richard dominated their all american defensive tackle

Also, Austin did a good job against GSU's stud tackle, he had a great senior year!

Professor Chaos
04-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Subpar offensive line?

2599 rush yards in 15 games (173.3 per game), 4.9 yards per carry, 2 thousand yard rushers, 38 rushing TDs. Keep in mind that in college ball lost yardage from sacks contributes to these totals and averages as well.

Tough crowd here I guess.

KTF
04-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Subpar offensive line?

2599 rush yards in 15 games (173.3 per game), 4.9 yards per carry, 2 thousand yard rushers, 38 rushing TDs. Keep in mind that in college ball lost yardage from sacks contributes to these totals and averages as well.

I agree, my coworker here in central MN doesn't follow the Bison football team but watched the NC game, couldn't believe the line we had...

tony
04-12-2012, 03:01 PM
I agree, my coworker here in central MN doesn't follow the Bison football team but watched the NC game, couldn't believe the line we had...

Only one sack given up in four playoff games - that's pretty impressive.

KSBisonFan
04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Subpar offensive line?

This^^^^ Give SHSU some credit too. They were the best D-line we faced all year and worthy of playing in the NC game. Think back to how we wore down the opponent's D-lines in almost every 2nd half. Also, most games Brock had all day to stand back in the pocket when we passed. Our O-line was anything but 'subpar'.

Bison06
04-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Others have stated this as well, but that was the National Championship people, the second best team in the nation. They were damn good and IMO the best defense we saw all year. We had a GREAT offensive line last year.

tony
04-12-2012, 03:34 PM
Others have stated this as well, but that was the National Championship people, the second best team in the nation. They were damn good and IMO the best defense we saw all year. We had a GREAT offensive line last year.

SHSU also had the best defense in the nation until they met NDSU's offense. They have a really good defense.

BadlandsBison
04-12-2012, 03:40 PM
SHSU also had the best defense in the nation until they met NDSU's offense. They have a really good defense.

And they play a wild style of blitzing defense, very hard to prepare for. Our line did great compared to everyone else SHSU played.

Bison06
04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
And they play a wild style of blitzing defense, very hard to prepare for. Our line did great compared to everyone else SHSU played.

Along with having a great defense, they had the best corners our recievers saw all year. They were man to man on our guys the entire game and all but completely locked them down. This allows 8 guys to play the run and sometimes 9 if they decide they want to play zero coverage here and there. Adrian Peterson would have a hard time running the ball into a 9 man front.

I am guilty of this as much as others on here from time to time. But, we aren't going to win every man on man battle in every game. Drives will stall, we will have a guy sneak through and sack our QB, we will have a DB get run by or lose a jump ball. The other team has scholarship players who have a lot of pride as well. Sometimes you just get beat, it doesn't make you bad. It's just the law of averages, but great teams find a way to win.

In all honesty, if we absolutely curb stopped every team on every play I probably wouldn't watch. It would be boring.

DjKyRo
04-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Can't find the exact post, but I think it was ming who called out offensive line very average this past season. If an average offensive line helped us get two 1,000-yard rushers and drop 300 on the ground versus Georgia Southern (not to mention win a national championship) then average is just fine by me.

perthbison
04-12-2012, 11:13 PM
GSU's stud tackle,!Isn't that the one they called man, bear, pig?

ndsubison1
04-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Can't find the exact post, but I think it was ming who called out offensive line very average this past season. If an average offensive line helped us get two 1,000-yard rushers and drop 300 on the ground versus Georgia Southern (not to mention win a national championship) then average is just fine by me.

i said that they were above average but not great. but at times they were only average

tolnabison
04-13-2012, 02:15 AM
Seen that Kolpack posted on Twitter, that the Bison will add a JUCO linebacker. Any news on it?

Here's the link: http://twitter.com/#!/fgosportswriter

perthbison
04-13-2012, 04:11 AM
Seen that Kolpack posted on Twitter, that the Bison will add a JUCO linebacker. Sure hope he's as good as the last one of those they brought in.

EndZoneQB
04-13-2012, 04:17 AM
Sure hope he's as good as the last one of those they brought in.

Agreed. That dude was a straight up football player. I remember he toughed out a big game with a hurt shoulder, right?

SamsRams
04-13-2012, 04:18 AM
Seen that Kolpack posted on Twitter, that the Bison will add a JUCO linebacker. Any news on it?

Here's the link: http://twitter.com/#!/fgosportswriter

Nice find, weird though it was in response to someone asking "Any chance for the Bison to bring in a JUCO PF/C?"

Who knows maybe Deveon told him how much better NDSU is than Indiana :)

Darrius Stroud (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Darrius-Stroud-126377)

Or maybe Chad sent word out to Snow College LB John Mahe (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-John-Mahe-129456;_ylt=ApdOSSRKTqNC2AUPHSRl3N9IPZB4)....oops rivals list as LB but looks like he is DE

But I think we all know who it will be Sam Maresh (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Sam-Maresh-116001;_ylt=ArigYrQCram0pPKhAZl.CWFIPZB4)

BisonNation11
04-13-2012, 04:29 AM
They already have a JUCO LB coming in that they recruited with the 2012 class. Are they not high on their recruit or are they trying to grow depth?

SamsRams
04-13-2012, 04:42 AM
They already have a JUCO LB coming in that they recruited with the 2012 class. Are they not high on their recruit or are they trying to grow depth?

If they is NDSU, then no they didnt sign any defensive juco players

BisonNation11
04-13-2012, 04:44 AM
If they is NDSU, then no they didnt sign any defensive juco players

http://rivals.yahoo.com/jcgridiron/football/recruiting/player-Jacob-Davis-120893;_ylt=AjKYdpQeoFtOdaH1cz6n8sbjWZB4

Just what I found while trying to find info about a possible incoming JUCO LB

SamsRams
04-13-2012, 04:55 AM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/jcgridiron/football/recruiting/player-Jacob-Davis-120893;_ylt=AjKYdpQeoFtOdaH1cz6n8sbjWZB4

Just what I found while trying to find info about a possible incoming JUCO LB

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Wichita+Northwest

So although he may look and play like an incoming Junior, he will be a true freshman next year

BisonNation11
04-13-2012, 04:59 AM
Epic fail on my part. Was under the JUCO recruiting page and didn't bother to check the school. Just assumed. :facepalm:

Da Bison
04-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Is tomorrows scrimmage open to the public??

TransAmBison
04-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Is tomorrows scrimmage open to the public??Scrimmage tomorrow? What time? I was looking for something to do with teh offspring.

Professor Chaos
04-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Scrimmage tomorrow? What time? I was looking for something to do with teh offspring.
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205400931

12:30PM at the Fargodome. I was wondering this too. I'm thinking because it's in the Fargodome it's not open to the public like the ones at Dacotah Field are but that's just my guess. Anyone know for sure?

TransAmBison
04-13-2012, 01:36 PM
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205400931

12:30PM at the Fargodome. I was wondering this too. I'm thinking because it's in the Fargodome it's not open to the public like the ones at Dacotah Field are but that's just my guess. Anyone know for sure?Thanks for the info. I wonder if they would know if I called 231-NDSU?

Bison Dan
04-13-2012, 01:37 PM
Sat 14th 12:30 PM - Scrimmage at the Dome - Spring Coaching clinic also. My guess it's open.

roadwarrior
04-13-2012, 01:58 PM
12:30PM at the Fargodome. I was wondering this too. I'm thinking because it's in the Fargodome it's not open to the public like the ones at Dacotah Field are but that's just my guess. Anyone know for sure?

You can usually find at least one door open....

TransAmBison
04-13-2012, 01:59 PM
I thing TAB & Co. will have to stop by.

JustinTyem
04-13-2012, 03:50 PM
I thing TAB & Co. will have to stop by.With Updates??? I hope !!!

TransAmBison
04-13-2012, 03:58 PM
With Updates??? I hope !!!Maybe even pics...I'll do what I can.

BlueBisonRock
04-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Maybe even pics...I'll do what I can.

Your wife, yes. Your daughter, yes. Perhaps even your son (just have not seen his work). But you? or is Mother showing up again?

TransAmBison
04-13-2012, 04:16 PM
Your wife, yes. Your daughter, yes. Perhaps even your son (just have not seen his work). But you? or is Mother showing up again?You will have to suffer through my work...maybe I'll just hand the camera over to my daughter. :D

ndsubison1
04-13-2012, 07:03 PM
You can usually find at least one door open....

twss. ten char