PDA

View Full Version : Tim Miles to Nebraska

aces1180
03-23-2012, 07:10 PM
Per Izzo...

It appears Tim Miles may be the next head coach at Nebraska, reports that press conference coming tomorrow
(https://twitter.com/#!/DomIzzoWDAY)

NDSUstudent
03-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Congrats to Tim.....just think the guy went from the BSA to this in just a few years....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG4CcuSdUw0&feature=related

bisonmike2
03-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Nice job Tim. Another nice connection for NDSU to get some Big 10 b-ball games on the schedule. Cornhuskers @ the BSA perhaps?

BisonJD
03-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Excuse me if this belongs elsewhere, but it looks increasingly likely that Coach Miles will become the next HC at Nebraska. I suppose you can debate whether this is a good move for Coach Miles, given Nebraska's basketball "tradition" but they have made some serious investments recently in their basketball program including a new areana and practice facility. Will be interesting to see if he can recruit beyond the upper midwest, because I don't think he can compete in the Big 10 with just those kids.

NU signals point to Tim Miles
BY Lee Barfknecht | 11:00 am, Friday, Mar. 23 | POSTED IN Lee Barfknecht
Strong indications emerged Friday morning from sources in Lincoln and Ft. Collins, Colo., that Colorado State’s Tim Miles has emerged as the top candidate to become Nebraska’s next men’s basketball coach.

Two sources said Miles was in Lincoln on Friday, and that plans for a press conference on Saturday morning are being prepared.

Miles, 45, just finished his fifth season at CSU. The native of Doland, S.D., previously coached at Mayville (N.D.) State, Southwest Minnesota State and North Dakota State.

At Colorado State, he went from 7-25 and 9-22 his first two seasons to 16-16 and a spot in the CBI tourney, 19-13 with an NIT bid and 20-12 with a trip to the NCAA tourney this season.

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/03/23/nu-signals-point-to-tim-miles/

EndZoneQB
03-23-2012, 07:23 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?27348-Tim-Miles-to-Nebraska

BisonJD
03-23-2012, 07:27 PM
DAMN. I was so proud of myself for "breaking news"....thanks for the link.

North Side
03-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Honestly NDSU should try to schedule with Nebraska. We need to start to schedule like OU and ORU. Play some lower/upper major basketball teams.

EndZoneQB
03-23-2012, 07:35 PM
DAMN. I was so proud of myself for "breaking news"....thanks for the link.

I'd just post your post in the other thread. Yours is more indepth...but as they say, the early bird gets the worm ;) Plus, you could just go with the excuse yours took longer to post, otherwise you were first :)

tony
03-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Congrats to Tim.....just think the guy went from the BSA to this in just a few years....

Cripes, that thing costs as much as 10 BSA remodels.

Tatanka
03-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Cripes, that thing costs as much as 10 BSA remodels.

Wonder if they're getting any money from teh state of Nebraska?

jack power
03-23-2012, 08:46 PM

Looks like a nuclear power plant

NDSUstudent
03-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Sounds like Tim will get a nice raise...

Reports out of Nebraska indicate that the Cornhuskers would be willing to pay Miles $1.3 million to $2 million a year

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120323/UPDATES02/120323013/CSU-basketball-coach-likely-take-Nebraska-job?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

IndyBison
03-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Barry Collier got the Butler roll started in the 90s with a Sweet 16 run and was the heir apparent to Bob Knight at IU. He wasn't sure when Knight would retire so he jumped at the chance to move to a bigger program and took the job at Nebraska. I don't remember how long he lasted but he eventually came back to Butler as the AD. His replacement at Butler? Thad Matta now coach at Ohio State. Matta had a couple very good years before moving to Xavier and was replaced by Todd Licklighter. I think he only lasted a year or two before moving to Iowa. He didn't do well there and has already been fired.

The next guy they hired was some young guy that looked younger than the players. He had very little coaching experience and actually started his career in marketing for a drug company. I thought they were crazy for hiring someone like that since they had such a great run of tourney appearances and an occasional upset. Shows what I know. That coach was Brad Stevens.

Good luck to Coach Miles! It's a tough place to win in basketball.

IzzyFlexion
03-24-2012, 01:44 AM

That video makes me feel like guzzling about 10 end zone bombs...:mad:

Bison bison
03-24-2012, 01:49 AM
$8.7 million over six years.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7729430/nebraska-cornhuskers-negotiating-deal-tim-miles-colorado-state-rams-sources-say

BadlandsBison
03-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Wonder if they're getting any money from teh state of Nebraska?

Nah, they don't have a hockey program

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

NDSUstudent
03-24-2012, 03:45 AM
BTN will televise & stream RT @BTNTomDienhart: Nebraska has scheduled an 1130am presser Saturday to introduce Tim Miles as basketball coach

https://twitter.com/#!/BigTenNetwork/status/183380203903516673

NDSUstudent
03-24-2012, 03:53 AM
http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/huskerextra.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/b/07/b0791790-ece3-5f98-8779-f232839541e6/4f6ce6b124700.image.jpg

Nebraska's search for a men's basketball coach is over after two weeks.

The school announced Friday night that Colorado State coach Tim Miles will be introduced as the Huskers' new coach during an 11:30 a.m. news conference Saturday in Lincoln.
A source with knowledge of the hiring said Miles agreed to a 7-year contract worth $1.4 million per season -- nearly double what Miles would've been making at Colorado State had he stayed beyond July 1.

The source also said Miles is putting together a staff of assistant coaches with Big Ten Conference recruiting ties.

One coach Miles is planning on bringing with him from Colorado State is Ronald Coleman, a Chicago native who was a prep and AAU coach in Chicago. But the source said Coleman, who joined Miles' staff before this season, also could be a candidate to replace Miles at Colorado State.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/article_fb7d0331-03a0-5be7-b876-eb3ea907a21c.html

ThompsonBison
03-24-2012, 04:09 AM
What a phenomenal coach and guy. He's been the definition of class since the day he started coaching. Hard to believe he went from 30K at Mayville State, supplementing his income coaching golf as well, to 1.5/yr. I always figured he was going big time someday and now he's a move a way from a top program in the country. His recruiting and coaching ability simply amazes me. To see a guy like this start his career in ND and use NDSU to springboard it to the big time is great. The only thing that sucks is that he won't be there to have some beers with in Fort Collins this fall because there's no doubt he would've been there! I'm as green and gold as you can get for not being an actual alum, however, I am a proud Comet right now being he got his start coaching 3 of my roommates!

DIBISON
03-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-nebraska-hires-former-colorado-state-coach-miles-20120323,0,3440630.story

DjKyRo
03-24-2012, 06:18 AM
Congrats Coach! Well deserved.

Bison_Pride
03-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Hired by Tom Osborne.

I wonder if coach Bohl put in a good word for him?

Bison bison
03-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Hired by Tom Osborne.

I wonder if coach Bohl put in a good word for him?

Yeah. Him and Lakes.

KSBisonFan
03-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Congrats and good luck to Coach Miles. Well deserved and I have a feeling he'll revive that program and bring some excitement. I'll be rooting for him.

badger04
03-24-2012, 04:36 PM
http://huskerextra.com/live/
Live press conference

NDSUstudent
03-24-2012, 04:39 PM
The presser is also on the Big 10 Network.

EndZoneQB
03-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Congrats and good luck to Coach Miles. Well deserved and I have a feeling he'll revive that program and bring some excitement. I'll be rooting for him.

Exactly. Is anyone else excited to watch him build this program? It was excited following CSU from a distance, but now he'll be in the spotlight, more games will be on TV and the stakes are much higher.

Wally
03-24-2012, 07:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7731775/new-nebraska-cornhuskers-coach-tim-miles-pleads-patience

He said it's perfectly understandable, considering he spent 12 of his 17 years as a head coach at places like Maywood State, Southwest Minnesota State and North Dakota State before he went to Colorado State five years ago.

IndyBison
03-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Trivia question...which school has more NCAA tournament victories? North Dakota State or Nebraska

EndZoneQB
03-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Trivia question...which school has more NCAA tournament victories? North Dakota State or Nebraska

Trick question, they are tied!

IndyBison
03-25-2012, 12:18 AM
Trick question, they are tied!
Correct. And that surprised me. I figured they would have won at least one game at some point. If Miles can get them a win he will have done an amazing job.

Notorious
03-25-2012, 12:26 AM
Correct. And that surprised me. I figured they would have won at least one game at some point. If Miles can get them a win he will have done an amazing job.

It's all about the corn...

IzzyFlexion
03-25-2012, 01:42 AM
It's all about the corn...

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/beavisandbutthead/images/thumb/0/08/Cornholio101.jpg/200px-Cornholio101.jpg

KSBisonFan
03-25-2012, 01:46 AM

Nebraska and Northwestern are the only 2 BCS basketball programs to never win an NCAA tourney game. Northwestern has never been in the NCAA tournament.

heymch86
03-25-2012, 02:19 AM
How does this affect NDSU? You can bet Tim will pluck some guys that would normally go to Minnesota. In turn, Minnesota might take some of the guys we look at.

Also, just for a talker, does Tim reach out to Dave Richman and offer him another shot at joining his staff? When Tim left for CSU he really wanted Dave to come with him.

DjKyRo
03-25-2012, 02:23 AM
How does this affect NDSU? You can bet Tim will pluck some guys that would normally go to Minnesota. In turn, Minnesota might take some of the guys we look at.

Also, just for a talker, does Tim reach out to Dave Richman and offer him another shot at joining his staff? When Tim left for CSU he really wanted Dave to come with him.

I don't know if Nebraska is really a better sell over Minnesota right now - not like, say, Wisconsin or Michigan would be. Plus, a relatively small-time guy new to the Big Ten like Miles wouldn't have a lot of stock over Tubby. Give it time and I think Tim will change things around, but right now there's little to be had as far as basketball cred at Nebraska. Coach Miles has a tall task in front of him.

HoopsBison
03-25-2012, 04:24 AM
Congrats to coach Miles. I know many Nebraska fans are probably down on this hire and feel like they are settling but I hope they give Tim a fair shake.

DIBISON
03-25-2012, 06:01 AM

Not even a thought. Miles has to hire asst. coaches that have upper level DI connections.

EndZoneQB
03-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Agreed. A new practice facility and arena should help greatly. If they show support for the team, there is no reason kids wouldn't want to go to Lincoln. It's a great college town and I can't imagine a lot of other places I'd want to be other than Duke/UNC....

unbison
03-25-2012, 11:26 AM
I can't help but wonder......what offers would have been out there for him the next year both times he has moved.............he would have danced with the bison 09 team.............his team at csu is supposedly gonna be more talented next year.......im sorry nebraska is not a basketball school never has been...... I know I know they just joined the big ten .......i am not bashing just a big what if?

Hammersmith
03-25-2012, 04:10 PM
I can't help but wonder......what offers would have been out there for him the next year both times he has moved.............he would have danced with the bison 09 team.............his team at csu is supposedly gonna be more talented next year.......im sorry nebraska is not a basketball school never has been...... I know I know they just joined the big ten .......i am not bashing just a big what if?
Maybe this is the type of job Tim enjoys. He wouldn't be the only guy to get more pleasure turning something around than using it once it's finished. Think of the guy who painstakingly rebuilds cars only to sell them immediately after he's finished(and not because of money). For that type of guy, the process is the payoff. Not saying Tim is like that(I don't know the guy), but his pattern of jobs makes you think he might be.

unbison
03-25-2012, 04:29 PM
Maybe this is the type of job Tim enjoys. He wouldn't be the only guy to get more pleasure turning something around than using it once it's finished. Think of the guy who painstakingly rebuilds cars only to sell them immediately after he's finished(and not because of money). For that type of guy, the process is the payoff. Not saying Tim is like that(I don't know the guy), but his pattern of jobs makes you think he might be.
I am in no means trying to slight his abilities just saying what if he waits another year? What if he takes his better. Csu
Squad to the sweet 16 where could of he ended up then

NDSUstudent
03-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Best tidbit from Tim Miles presser; Tom Osbourne said he got call from Ndamukong Suh who said "Hire Miles."

http://twitter.com/#!/DomIzzoWDAY/status/183673661100797952

ndsubison1
03-25-2012, 09:04 PM
any possibility a few players from csu follow him?

ndsubison1
03-25-2012, 09:11 PM
wow. a lot of husker fans upset with this hire. are you really expecting a big time hire at nebraska? this is an amazing hire and i think he will make them very competitive in the big ten. he will get them their first tourney win

MN_BISON
03-26-2012, 12:46 AM
wow. a lot of husker fans upset with this hire. are you really expecting a big time hire at nebraska? this is an amazing hire and i think he will make them very competitive in the big ten. he will get them their first tourney win

That just proves most Big Red fans don't know dick about hoops. Miles will win there, Nebraska has invested pretty heavy in its hoops program with the new practice facility and new arena opening in 2013, you combine that with Miles and you've got a pretty good combo. It won't happen over night but he will take that team to the dance in my opinion. Three years from now MN fans will be wondering why they held on to a has been in Tubby and let Miles go to Lincoln.

Wally
03-26-2012, 12:47 AM
That just proves most Big Red fans don't know dick about hoops. Miles will win there, Nebraska has invested pretty heavy in its hoops program with the new practice facility and new arena opening in 2013, you combine that with Miles and you've got a pretty good combo. It won't happen over night but he will take that team to the dance in my opinion. Three years from now MN fans will be wondering why they held on to a has been in Tubby and let Miles go to Lincoln.

This

10 char

SDSUAlum08
03-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Would Saul Phillips be interested in Tim Mile's staff? Doesn't he have ties to the Big Ten through Wisconsin? He was Director of Basketball operations, but it's still something.

HoopsBison
03-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Would Saul Phillips be interested in Tim Mile's staff? Doesn't he have ties to the Big Ten through Wisconsin? He was Director of Basketball operations, but it's still something.

I highly doubt it, its hard anytime to give up a head coaching job for an assistant coaching job because you may never get that chance again. As great of a coach Miles is, its certainly no slam dunk that Nebraska will become a powerhouse. Lastly there is a very young and talented roster at NDSU that if coached and developed correctly he could benefit from.

semobison
03-26-2012, 01:56 PM
I am in no means trying to slight his abilities just saying what if he waits another year? What if he takes his better. Csu
Squad to the sweet 16 where could of he ended up then

He had 8.7 million reasons to take this job! Dont kid yourself, you dont turn down that kind of coin thinking maybe you could get more next year.

siouxdgj
03-26-2012, 04:10 PM
He had 8.7 million reasons to take this job! Dont kid yourself, you dont turn down that kind of coin thinking maybe you could get more next year.

I quite agree with the "coin" reasoning. Makes a lot of sense to me. Wishing Coach Miles the best of luck at Nebraska. I have a niece heading for Huskerville this fall. Add the Huskers to among the teams I will be pulling for.

SDSUAlum08
03-26-2012, 06:39 PM
I quite agree with the "coin" reasoning. Makes a lot of sense to me. Wishing Coach Miles the best of luck at Nebraska. I have a niece heading for Huskerville this fall. Add the Huskers to among the teams I will be pulling for.

Agreed. I can't stand Husker fans (and I spend a lot of time in Nebraska), but I'll definitely be cheering for him. I watched the entire press conference last night and you just can't help yourself from liking the guy. He definitely cares.

I thought the most interesting thing is looking at the list of Big Ten coaches he's working against. Besides Penn State there are some impressive names!

CaBisonFan
03-27-2012, 04:22 AM
Excuse me if this belongs elsewhere, but it looks increasingly likely that Coach Miles will become the next HC at Nebraska. I suppose you can debate whether this is a good move for Coach Miles, given Nebraska's basketball "tradition" but they have made some serious investments recently in their basketball program including a new areana and practice facility. Will be interesting to see if he can recruit beyond the upper midwest, because I don't think he can compete in the Big 10 with just those kids.

NU signals point to Tim Miles
BY Lee Barfknecht | 11:00 am, Friday, Mar. 23 | POSTED IN Lee Barfknecht
Strong indications emerged Friday morning from sources in Lincoln and Ft. Collins, Colo., that Colorado State’s Tim Miles has emerged as the top candidate to become Nebraska’s next men’s basketball coach.

Two sources said Miles was in Lincoln on Friday, and that plans for a press conference on Saturday morning are being prepared.

Miles, 45, just finished his fifth season at CSU. The native of Doland, S.D., previously coached at Mayville (N.D.) State, Southwest Minnesota State and North Dakota State.

At Colorado State, he went from 7-25 and 9-22 his first two seasons to 16-16 and a spot in the CBI tourney, 19-13 with an NIT bid and 20-12 with a trip to the NCAA tourney this season.

http://sports.omaha.com/2012/03/23/nu-signals-point-to-tim-miles/

I think that you've made some good points about the difficulty in recruiting at Nebraska...but the Big 10 affiliation will help him with this. Kids want to play in the Big 10. The basketball tradition does that. He won with mirrors this year at CSU. All he needs is a couple of studs to get it going. That should happen. Not disagreeing with anything you wrote. It's a good post.

1998braves64
03-27-2012, 04:45 AM
I have no doubt that Miles will have success in Nebraska whether it's enough for him to be considered a great coach in Husker lore etc will probably have to remain to be seen. If he does get Nebraska on the right track and turned into a serious competitor every season, what's his next on his master plan? Can't get much higher than a Big 10 program?? Is he going to stay put in college or move on to NBA or another college desperate to rebuild their program? Would love to see what he could do after sticking around for more than a few years.

Miles has his charisma going for him as all of us know he's a very likable person and I think his players think as such and he gives his players the respect that they deserve (think both when he went to CSU and now Nebraska he waited until he'd talked to both teams before making it "official"). The video he made after NDSU made it to the Dance I think almost all NDSU fans appreciated and probably wasn't something he HAD to do but something he felt like he needed to do. Plus the standing O he received on his trip back to the BSA with CSU. I would love to see Miles succeed beyond all expectations at Nebraska because we can claim him as a Bison! Wish him best of luck! For Miles Go Big Red!

Bison"FANatic"
04-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I saw this on Kolpacks twitter page. The last half was quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvhutjER4Pk&feature=youtu.be

SDSUAlum08
06-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Article on Miles in the Argusleader by TV:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20120610/SPORTS/306100012/Magic-Touch?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports

SlickVic
06-10-2012, 11:06 PM
big ten basketball ant a joke but its tough to say how hell do...i seen he got a 7 footer a sweet juco and a transfer coming in plus supposedly hes got that chi town pipeline being built i think he had a top 10 jr visit or something along those lines is what i heard regardless it will be nice whatching his teams play on a nightly basis in HD instead of that moutain west joke of a network i wont lie i tuned into a few court stormings at moby on that channel

bruinbison
08-06-2012, 01:32 PM
ESPN's all-access article with Tim Miles on recruiting & rebuilding at Nebraska - long article

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8225419/all-access-recruiting-nebraska-coach-tim-miles-men-college-basketball

Kujava23
08-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Great Article on Miles!! I like the part where he agreed to let Izzo ride on his plane back to Vegas---sure I'll let the guy whose more accomplished than me ride on MY School's plane that he doesnt have..... Hope Miles will schedule the BISON

Twentysix
08-07-2012, 03:32 AM
I saw this on Kolpacks twitter page. The last half was quite funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvhutjER4Pk&feature=youtu.be

Love the Whats golden background beats at the end of the show. 5:48. Also, those songs were hilarious, especially the second one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsZKrctSDaw