PDA

View Full Version : Is that your final offer (no travel subsidy)?

IowaBison
02-21-2007, 11:15 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/157304

No travel subsidy will be offered by NDSU. If the conference admission fee is $250,000, I've got no problem with that.

I can't believe that some schools had the gall to bring up a figure of half a million dollars. That's redamndiculous. That tells me one of three things: 1) Some Gateway schools are in dire straights financially, 2) They think that NDSU is loaded, 3) They think we're chumps.

ndsubison
02-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Yeah, that surprised me. Pretty ballsy on behalf of the Gateway. That sends a bad message. So what does this all mean?? Does it mean we most likely get turned down in early March, go back to the Great West and cross our fingers that the autobid comes our way within 5-10 yrs? I have my reasons for wanting to get into the Gateway and wanting out of the Great West. Those reasons are starting to sway after what I've heard lately. I'm not going to worry about anything until after "early march" meeting by the Gateway Brass.

IowaBison
02-21-2007, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't call it getting 'turned down'.

They invited us, remember. We have a very good alternative.

If admission to the Gateway was 'necessary' NDSU would be doing more.

Uni_of_No_Diks
02-21-2007, 01:57 PM
#1. If we get in, lets all remember this and keep these threads for "inspiration" to kick their butts every game.

#2 If gateway & Big sky turn us down, NDSU seriously has to look at FBS.

#3 I can't believe that NDSU would turn down Gateway if they said "give us $500,000 up front, we spread it over 8 years" I think NDSU should come back and say "drop the exit penalty and we will do that"

IowaBison
02-21-2007, 02:02 PM
#1 It's not all Gateway members. (I can't imagine that at least a few schools can't believe the demands that are being made.)

#2 What in the hell would that answer. Increase the budget by $3 to $5 million dollars that we don't have so we can realize that we are still relatively small fish.

#3 NDSU will turn down the Gateway if they ask for $500,000. The number is somewhere in the vicinity of $250,000 (probably less than that).

THEsocalledfan
02-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Reminder....

The sky will not fall if NDSU does not get into Gateway. It will make the long term future of Great West much more stable and they will not be afraid to add teams. Yes, it would be nice, but this is not nearly as big as getting into MidCon.....

NDSUFREAK10
02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Just look at my signiture......
I am getting sick of hearing all of this conference talk with travel and fees. It is complete bull shit. If they can't take a plane at the most twice during conference play then they don't deserve to be DI. You need the money! We travel everywhere and we are going to build a new arena for goodness sakes!

GREAT WEST CONFERENCE. LET'S KICK THE GATEWAY'S ASS!

DenverBison05
02-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Just look at my signiture......
I am getting sick of hearing all of this conference talk with travel and fees. It is complete bull shit. If they can't take a plane at the most twice during conference play then they don't deserve to be DI. You need the money! We travel everywhere and we are going to build a new arena for goodness sakes!

GREAT WEST CONFERENCE. LET'S KICK THE GATEWAY'S ASS!

You guys need to settle down. Im sure that the same things happened when we were being considered for the mid-con, the only difference is that the media reported about the negotiations this time. Settle down, this is not out of the ordinary.

Gamehunter
02-21-2007, 09:36 PM
the autobid is a relative non-issue for football. I guarantee NDSU will make the playoffs whether they are in the GWFC or the Gateway. The BIG issue is having a conference schedule full of predetermined home/road games.

No way the Gateway should ever ask a prospective member to pay a travel subsidy. ::) That is rediculous.

NorCalJack
02-21-2007, 09:41 PM
Well if the XDSU's have to sign a contract with a penalty for leaving early, I would think the XDSU's would also require the rest of the league to have the same penalty for leaving early. I mean, why would the XDSU's sign up for a league, with an entry fee, if Indiana St. decides to drop football, or Youngstown St. decides to go FBS. I think having a clause in the contract with a penalty for leaving early is a good thing for the XDSU's, if the other schools agree to the same terms and conditions.

ThunderRadioguy
02-21-2007, 09:58 PM
No way the Gateway should ever ask a prospective member to pay a travel subsidy. * ::) *That is rediculous.

NDSU should not pay it. They should call the Gateway's bluff. To me this just seems like a way for a few schools (SIU) to get a little extra $$$ out of NDSU and SDSU. The Gateway NEEDS these two schools, don't froget that. otherwise they are a 7 team league with only two really good teams. Keep in ming that if XDSU's stay in the Great West that it wil be a seven team league in 2009, and not much worse off than the Gateway.

DenverBison05
02-21-2007, 10:02 PM
No way the Gateway should ever ask a prospective member to pay a travel subsidy. * ::) *That is rediculous.

NDSU should not pay it. *They should call the Gateway's bluff. *To me this just seems like a way for a few schools (SIU) to get a little extra $$$ out of NDSU and SDSU. *The Gateway NEEDS these two schools, don't froget that. *otherwise they are a 7 team league with only two really good teams. *Keep in ming that if XDSU's stay in the Great West that it wil be a seven team league in 2009, and not much worse off than the Gateway. *

Im sorry but the Gateway has more than just 2 good teams. YSU, SIU, UNI, and ISU are all great teams.

Hambone
02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Well if the XDSU's have to sign a contract with a penalty for leaving early, I would think the XDSU's would also require the rest of the league to have the same penalty for leaving early. *I mean, why would the XDSU's sign up for a league, with an entry fee, if Indiana St. decides to drop football, or Youngstown St. decides to go FBS. *I think having a clause in the contract with a penalty for leaving early is a good thing for the XDSU's, if the other schools agree to the same terms and conditions.

I don't think the XDSU's have the power to require the other teams to pay the same penalty. *But you never know.......

NorCalJack
02-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Well if the XDSU's have to sign a contract with a penalty for leaving early, I would think the XDSU's would also require the rest of the league to have the same penalty for leaving early. *I mean, why would the XDSU's sign up for a league, with an entry fee, if Indiana St. decides to drop football, or Youngstown St. decides to go FBS. *I think having a clause in the contract with a penalty for leaving early is a good thing for the XDSU's, if the other schools agree to the same terms and conditions.

I don't think the XDSU's have the power to require the other teams to pay the same penalty. *But you never know.......

That is what happened with the Mid-Con, from what I recall, every team had make a commitment that they were all going to stay in the league for a certain amount of time. I mean if the XDSU's have to pay an entry fee, don't you think they should require the other teams to stick around? It would not be prudent for the XDSU's to pay a fee and then have the conference fold up or lose it's auto-bid because teams are leaving.

bisonranch
02-21-2007, 11:10 PM

NDSU should not pay it. *They should call the Gateway's bluff. *To me this just seems like a way for a few schools (SIU) to get a little extra $$$ out of NDSU and SDSU. *The Gateway NEEDS these two schools, don't froget that. *otherwise they are a 7 team league with only two really good teams. *Keep in ming that if XDSU's stay in the Great West that it wil be a seven team league in 2009, and not much worse off than the Gateway. *

Right on. It's like a job interview and holding out for the best package. No one else the Gateway could consider can pay that kind of fee, why should we? Hold out until they have a more reasonable offer, if not the GWFC isn't a bad alternative.

Gamehunter
02-22-2007, 03:14 AM
I think part of what may be going on is the Gateway thinks we need them more than we actually do. NDSU can survive just fine with GW football. The Gateway would be a nice step up with the renewed rivalrys and better travel, but it is not as big of an issue compared to what the Mid-Con was for us.

CaBisonFan
02-22-2007, 04:58 AM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/157304

No travel subsidy will be offered by NDSU. *If the conference admission fee is $250,000, I've got no problem with that.

I can't believe that some schools had the gall to bring up a figure of half a million dollars. *That's redamndiculous. *That tells me one of three things: *1) *Some Gateway schools are in dire straights financially, 2) They think that NDSU is loaded, 3) They think we're chumps.

SU shouldn't pay a dime. The Gateway would be stronger with SDSU & NDSU. Their home gate receipts would be stronger because of the strength of the games...and because they would have significance.

I'm with Taylor and his original statement when he got off the plane.

I agree with what you've said. Question: Is it normal to pay an admission fee to a conference? I'm in the dark on this.

BisonMav
02-22-2007, 05:07 AM
I think part of what may be going on is the Gateway thinks we need them more than we actually do. *NDSU can survive just fine with GW football. *The Gateway would be a nice step up with the renewed rivalrys and better travel, but it is not as big of an issue compared to what the Mid-Con was for us.

Agree X, the Great West is a good alternative if the Gateway is not willing.

99Bison
02-22-2007, 06:05 AM
I agree with what you've said. *Question: *Is it normal to pay an admission fee to a conference? *I'm in the dark on this.

Yes, admission fees are normal.

Jdubs21
02-22-2007, 05:09 PM
if we have to pay that much...i say we should stay right where we are at, because they are taking advantage of our program and what we have worked so hard to build...they know we have the money and the resources to be in that confrence and they are gonna milk that for all its worth...so if they think are are gonna have to pay that much thats rediculous...i could see maybe a 100K at the most but not 250 or 500 like what i have been reading

tcbison
02-22-2007, 05:46 PM
if we have to pay that much...i say we should stay right where we are at, because they are taking advantage of our program and what we have worked so hard to build...they know we have the money and the resources to be in that confrence and they are gonna milk that for all its worth...so if they think are are gonna have to pay that much thats rediculous...i could see maybe a 100K at the most but not 250 or 500 like what i have been reading

I don't know the answer as to how much to pay for the admission fee but you have to say what the Gateway Conference will bring you. More home games against FCS teams that are guaranteed, more recognition in the area that you are recruiting and more games on TV, the possibility of playing Missouri Valley teams in basketball and other sports and in the long run a possible shot into the MVC.

As bison fans we complain about not getting many games on TV. I think the Gateway helps with this. We also complain about the schedule. The Gateway helps this as well. We have had a lot of luck getting recruits out of IL. The Gateway helps with this also.

RedRiver
02-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Again, the Gateway in a landslide because it offers so much more, and I trust Joe & Gene know how to make the right decisions related to the costs of conference membership.

roadwarrior
02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
I agree with you RedRiver.

Jdubs21
02-22-2007, 06:20 PM
no the gateway does have alot to offer....but for 500 grand we can televise our own games, i mean yes no more scheduling conflicts would be nice but the fact they seem to just be taking advantage of our university kinda flusters me...but then again i am not the AD and i do not know what is all being said and what the numbers are, but to me a half million or even a quarter mil, seems awfully steep

BearsCountry
02-22-2007, 06:28 PM
It wont be 500k, just calm down about that. It will probally be in the ballpark from 150 to 250k.