PDA

View Full Version : March Madness/NCAA Tourney

Pages : [1] 2

KSBisonFan
03-11-2012, 09:54 PM
The NCAA tourney selection show is coming up shortly. A lot of the "projected" top seeds lost in their conference tournaments so the field is wide open. I'll be interested to see where and who Colorado State, SDSU and KU are playing.
Let the madness begin!

HandoEX
03-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Ouch, SDSU draws Baylor as a #14! Terrible draw for them!

1998braves64
nasty selection I thought they might get a 13 seed

Hammersmith
Ha. Deva vu all over again. SDSU(14) vs Baylor(3) in Albuquerque. The lady Jacks lost to Baylor the year they made it to the round of 32.

KSBisonFan
03-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Seth Davis just picked SDSU to beat Baylor!

56BISON73
03-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Slick was at the Colorado game??? Middle left---

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/colorado-student-section-rewarded-trip-n-burger-181115938.html

Wally
03-11-2012, 10:20 PM
Wonder how many sdsu fans make it to Albuquerque? Tough draw with seed and location.

Hammersmith
03-11-2012, 10:22 PM
CSU gets to face the only 1-loss team in DI. (Murray State)

1998braves64
rams CSU get #11

KSBisonFan
Iona makes the field..........they were projected to be OUT! Somebody's going to be pissed.

KSBisonFan
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
CSU gets to face the only 1-loss team in DI. (Murray State)
Tough draw for CSU.

1998braves64
03-11-2012, 10:24 PM
Wonder how many sdsu fans make it to Albuquerque? Tough draw with seed and location.
1 stop flight on frontier from SF to albuquerque. $573... wonder how long til that goes up to $900+

1998braves64
03-11-2012, 10:28 PM
montana gets #13 seed against #3 Wisc

KSBisonFan
03-11-2012, 10:40 PM
ORU to NIT.

1998braves64
03-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Looked like ORU had the highest win record (and RPI too I believe) of the ones they showed "bubbles burst"??

JSUBison
03-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Iona makes the field..........they were projected to be OUT! Somebody's going to be pissed.

Seriously? I thought the MAAC was a piss poor conference RPI-wise. ORU should be pissed along with a few others.

montana gets #13 seed against #3 Wisc

This is a joke as well. How does Montana get a better seed than SDSU? Without even looking, I'm guessing SDSU had a RPI of at least 25 points better.

Hammersmith
03-11-2012, 10:59 PM
Looking like the committee is trying to send a message about non-conf SOS.

1998braves64
03-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Seriously? I thought the MAAC was a piss poor conference RPI-wise. ORU should be pissed along with a few others.

This is a joke as well. How does Montana get a better seed than SDSU? Without even looking, I'm guessing SDSU had a RPI of at least 25 points better.

20 Montana was at 73.... but still doesn't make sense. Big Sky RPI was at 25 and Summit was at what 16? That's BS unless they're sending a message to SDSU about their OOC scheduling?

KSBisonFan
03-11-2012, 11:12 PM

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa_mens_basketball_rpi

JSUBison
03-11-2012, 11:13 PM
20 Montana was at 73.... but still doesn't make sense. Big Sky RPI was at 25 and Summit was at what 16? That's BS unless they're sending a message to SDSU about their OOC scheduling?

I don't know. Just glancing at Montana's and SDSU's OOC real quick, I'd declare it a push at worst, but think SDSU's OOC is stronger without going into the math. Montana had Nevada, UCSB, San Fran, Oregon State among some others, SDSU had Georgia, Washington, Minnesota, Nebraska. Both won their bracketbusters, but SDSU did a better job picking up wins OOC. Who knows. I guess it's not my arguement to make, I'll let the SDSU fans here make their claim if they think they got screwed.

JSUBison
03-11-2012, 11:15 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa_mens_basketball_rpi

Thanks. And in regards to Iona, looks like I confused the MAAC with the MEAC. MAAC isn't all that bad, but still below the Summit.

KSBisonFan
03-11-2012, 11:15 PM
Doug Gottlieb just spewing ORU should have been in and CSU massively overseeded. Iona got in because they went a month without a home game....playing good competition. ORU got hosed but had they made it to the conference tourney final, they may have got in......goes back to the history of the Summit not doing well in the tourney.

MNLonghorn10
03-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Ef cincy up!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

BisonTeacher
03-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Go Baylor! I have been told SDSU is our rival so I must root against them.

KSBisonFan
03-12-2012, 12:08 AM
Lunardi had Iona as the 4th team OUT! Seton Hall was the team left out according to Lunardi.
Gottlieb picking Montana to beat Wisconsin and move on and play Vanderbilt. Wolters getting some rep from Seth Davis and Jay Bilas.

1998braves64
03-12-2012, 12:15 AM
I don't know. Just glancing at Montana's and SDSU's OOC real quick, I'd declare it a push at worst, but think SDSU's OOC is stronger without going into the math. Montana had Nevada, UCSB, San Fran, Oregon State among some others, SDSU had Georgia, Washington, Minnesota, Nebraska. Both won their bracketbusters, but SDSU did a better job picking up wins OOC. Who knows. I guess it's not my arguement to make, I'll let the SDSU fans here make their claim if they think they got screwed.

Montana
11/11/2011 @ Colorado State | Game Files 58-64 (L)
11/17/2011 Idaho | Game Files 57-52 (W)
11/20/2011 @ San Diego | Game Files 73-60 (W)
11/23/2011 @ North Dakota | Game Files 81-88 (L)
11/26/2011 Long Beach State | Game Files 73-71 (W)
12/1/2011 San Francisco | Game Files 62-65 (L)
12/4/2011 @ Oregon State | Game Files 46-71 (L)
12/10/2011 Nevada | Game Files 64-70 (L)
12/17/2011 @ Portland | Game Files 80-65 (W)
12/22/2011 Utah Valley | Game Files 65-52 (W)
2/18/2012 Hawaii | Event Details | Game Files 94-79 (W)

A couple stand out in their OOC? Win against Long Beach a #12 seed guess that might put them over the top?

SDSU
Sat, Nov 12 Western Michigan Frost Arena 1 p.m. 82 - 76 (W)
Mon, Nov 14 Minnesota at Minneapolis, Minn. 7 p.m. 55 - 71 (L)
Wed, Nov 16 Georgia at Athens, Ga. 7 p.m. ET 61 - 72 (L)
Mon, Nov 21 Niagara at Macon, Ga. 4:30 p.m. ET 79 - 71 (W)
Tue, Nov 22 Sam Houston State at Macon, Ga. 4:30 p.m. ET 77 - 60 (W)
Wed, Nov 23 Mercer at Macon, Ga. 7 p.m. ET 74 - 61 (W)
Sat, Nov 26 Nebraska at Lincoln, Neb. 1 p.m. 64 - 76 (L)
Sat, Dec 10 North Dakota Frost Arena 7:30 p.m. 92 - 54 (W)
Thu, Dec 15 North Dakota at Grand Forks, N.D. 7 p.m. 70 - 89 (L)
Sun, Dec 18 Washington at Seattle, Wash. 12 p.m. PT 92 - 73 (W)
Sat, Feb 18 Buffalo Frost Arena 12 p.m. 86 - 65 (W)

Washington got upset by Oregon St in Pac 12 tournament to push them into bubble Buffalo loses to MAC tournament champ Ohio. SDSU also loses to UND... So maybe you're right they're both a push... SDSU had some pretty big name teams in their schedule. But since OOC is a push it should have reverted to who had the higher RPI and conference RPI... Still doesn't make much sense

zooropa
03-12-2012, 12:19 AM

What 20? That's 30 spots worse. Thirty.

And SDSU played Georgia, Minnesota, Nebraska and Washington. What more were they supposed to do? Hell, that's as many BCS teams as they played the last two years combined. How are you supposed to guess which BCS-payday teams are going to do jack when the regular season starts?

I mean how long have we been waiting for Tubby to make something of the U of M?

zooropa
03-12-2012, 12:22 AM
goes back to the history of the Summit not doing well in the tourney.

Right. Because this is the 1990 Final Four. History shouldn't matter. Using it runs counter to everything that this tournament is supposed to be about.

You know what? I get tired of all these excuses being made, like when they talk about how "We don't really use RPI" and then they use RPI to calculate SOS and Top 50 wins.

I'd respect the NCAA soooo much more if they would just own up to it and say, "Know what kids? You're going to get hosed. Sorry."

As they say, don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining.

1998braves64
03-12-2012, 12:24 AM
What 20? That's 30 spots worse. Thirty.

Oops my bad.. yes 30! Hour change has gotten to me apparently! Agree on the teams... Minnesota fell off the cliff this year after the beginning of the year similar to Bison. Georgia and Nebraska have never really been big bball power houses but play in big time conferences. Just having those games would be the only reason I would give SDSU edge in OOC (even though they lost those too) I believe SDSU should have Montana's #13 and Montana SDSU's #14 so you're preaching to the choir (to me personally don't know about the rest of bisonville).

zooropa
03-12-2012, 12:31 AM
you're preaching to the choir

I'm just furious about this. I get so sick of the NCAA having these little 'mock selection' exercises where they have media members sit in on the selection process, and where they release little tidbits like, "Oooh, Oral Roberts was the first team out."

Know why?

Because unless you pick some metric and apply it rigorously and without exception, there's no method to this process. I don't want to hear, "well, we considered...." because what it amounts to is, as always, "we do what we want." I just, as I said before, wish they'd have the honesty to admit it.

1998braves64
03-12-2012, 12:43 AM
I believe some of where the location these teams are being sent to are located plays a factor too not sure if that was the issue here I didn't catch where Montana-Wisc game is? I agree seems sometimes they get too cute to try to include more of the "big" name schools for the obvious reason of their market will watch the game which in turns makes more money for NCAA which in turn means they just need to admit that like you're saying and saying the small market teams you're going to get hosed year in and year out. Until a Summit team that stays in the Summit consistently produces a good product the summit team will most likely be one of the teams in NCAA hosing pile.

zooropa
03-12-2012, 12:47 AM
I believe some of where the location

Location only matters to the extent that North Carolina never leaves North Carolina for their opening round games. Other than that............ And if the Summit is expected to deliver some success before getting a fair shake, what's the reason for over-seeding Montana? The Big Sky hasn't done anything in 30 years.

NorthernBison
03-12-2012, 12:51 AM
Location only matters to the extent that North Carolina never leaves North Carolina for their opening round games. Other than that............ And if the Summit is expected to deliver some success before getting a fair shake, what's the reason for over-seeding Montana? The Big Sky hasn't done anything in 30 years.

Montana won an opening round game two years ago didn't they? Been a long time since the Summit won a game in the Tourney.

Edit: I looked and it was like 6 years ago that they beat Nevada. Time flies.

KSBisonFan
03-12-2012, 01:10 AM
http://www.ncaa.com/championships/basketball-men/nit

Just fyi, ORU gets a #4 seed in the NIT. Minnesota and UNI also teams to follow in the NIT. Carry on with the NCAA tourney.

zooropa
03-12-2012, 01:12 AM
Montana won an opening round game two years ago didn't they? Been a long time since the Summit won a game in the Tourney.

Edit: I looked and it was like 6 years ago that they beat Nevada. Time flies.

Ah, and *clearly* something that happened one and a half recruiting cycles ago is enough to justify their seed today. #NCAALogic

NDSUstudent
03-12-2012, 01:18 AM
Doug Gottlieb just spewing ORU should have been in and CSU massively overseeded. Iona got in because they went a month without a home game....playing good competition. ORU got hosed but had they made it to the conference tourney final, they may have got in......goes back to the history of the Summit not doing well in the tourney.

I wouldn't shocked at all if CSU took down Murray State.

Agreed with ORU, the only loss they could have afforded was a title game loss to SDSU.

NorthernBison
03-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Ah, and *clearly* something that happened one and a half recruiting cycles ago is enough to justify their seed today. #NCAALogic

Didn't say that. You're the one who said the Big Sky hadn't done anything in 30 years.

Has anybody currently in the Summit EVER won a real tournament game? I'm guessing not. (Maybe a 65/64 game once)

I'm surprised you are so upset that SDSU got a "bad" seed. What did you expect?

I remember NDSU winning the Summit regular season title AND the Tournament and still drawing the defending NC. I'm thinking we were a 14 seed too.

NDSUstudent
03-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Didn't say that. You're the one who said the Big Sky hadn't done anything in 30 years.

Has anybody currently in the Summit EVER won a real tournament game? I'm guessing not. (Maybe a 65/64 game once)

I'm surprised you are so upset that SDSU got a "bad" seed. What did you expect?

I remember NDSU winning the Summit regular season title AND the Tournament and still drawing the defending NC. I'm thinking we were a 14 seed too.

Oakland won a play in game a few years ago. ORU went to the elite eight in the 1970s but I'm not sure what conference they were in at that time.

NorthernBison
03-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Oakland won a play in game a few years ago. ORU went to the elite eight in the 1970s but I'm not sure what conference they were in at that time.

Yeah, I was aware of the Oakland play in win. Anybody arguing the relative success of conferences like the Summit and Big Sky can easily pick whichever side they want and back it up. The Summit haters can overlook the success of teams like Valpo because the conference has been a stepping stone for a long time.

Hating on the NCAA Selection Committee because of a 14 vs a 13 seed is a bit goofy. At least they aren't seeding our teams 15 or worse.

zooropa
03-12-2012, 02:04 AM

Yes. I forgot about that *one* upset, when thinking back to the last Big Sky Sweet 16 appearance by current WAC member Idaho.

And for the record, NDSU's Sagarin & RPI ratings in '09 were both significantly lower than SDSU's this year. The Summit was a disaster that year. I mean there were a lot of crappy teams in the conference, not the least of which being no-road-wins-SDSU.

And at least NDSU was spotted a home game against an overrated Kansas team (didn't they lose to the 3 seed?)

zooropa
03-12-2012, 02:09 AM
because of a 14 vs a 13 seed

Don't you get it? It's not the seed as much as it is the notion that the seeding process is what the NCAA insists that it is.

Joe Lunardi had SDSU as the highest #13, and the Jacks ended up being the lowest 14. That's a 7 spot drop. Or for those keeping track at home, it's almost two full lines.

NorthernBison
03-12-2012, 02:21 AM
Don't you get it? It's not the seed as much as it is the notion that the seeding process is what the NCAA insists that it is.

Joe Lunardi had SDSU as the highest #13, and the Jacks ended up being the lowest 14. That's a 7 spot drop. Or for those keeping track at home, it's almost two full lines.

Sorry. I forgot what a genius Lunardi is. FYI, on ESPN he said that he focused on predicting what the NCAA would do and NOT on the quality of basketball teams played. So, you're butthurt because the guru didn't predict the Selection Committee decisions correctly and that's the fault of the committee? Why don't they just let him make the decisions?

Lunardi THINKS he knows how the committee makes their decisions and he's better at it than most but he doesn't get them all right. Big shock.

zooropa
03-12-2012, 02:50 AM
because the guru didn't predict the Selection Committee decisions correctly

Again, no.

The irritation is that the NCAA likes to pretend that they've got this 'system' that yields predictable, or at least defensible, results. They don't, and the pretense really irks me.

As a side irritant, I don't like that the NCAA continues to rely heavily on the RPI formula while insisting that they don't.

NDSUstudent
03-12-2012, 02:55 AM
The committee warps RPI in a way that is biased towards high majors. A team's RPI number doesn't really matter but RPI broken down to vs top 50, vs top 100 and bad losses means a ton.

1998braves64
03-12-2012, 03:00 AM
The committee warps RPI in a way that is biased towards high majors. A team's RPI number doesn't really matter but RPI broken down to vs top 50, vs top 100 and bad losses means a ton.

Like the loss to UND by SDSU?? (k just trying to inject a little humor into your life zooropa you seem to need it right now!)

tjbison
03-12-2012, 03:03 AM
Yes. I forgot about that *one* upset, when thinking back to the last Big Sky Sweet 16 appearance by current WAC member Idaho.

And for the record, NDSU's Sagarin & RPI ratings in '09 were both significantly lower than SDSU's this year. The Summit was a disaster that year. I mean there were a lot of crappy teams in the conference, not the least of which being no-road-wins-SDSU.

And at least NDSU was spotted a home game against an overrated Kansas team (didn't they lose to the 3 seed?)

Some pretty good teams in 09 also, SUU had Mclovin playing!!

NDSUstudent
03-12-2012, 03:08 AM
Like the loss to UND by SDSU?? (k just trying to inject a little humor into your life zooropa you seem to need it right now!)

The losses to UND and USD definitely hurt SDSU. ORU falling out of the top 50 didn't help either.

Montana only had one bad loss(UND).

zooropa
03-12-2012, 03:26 AM

Thanks for the reminder!

I'm working through the five stages of grief....

Denial and bargaining went pretty quickly. "What? A 14?"

Now I've got to finish anger and work through depression and acceptance.

BTW: Did you know that Big Sky commish Doug Fullerton was on the selection committee? That's not exactly helping me work through my anger... :D

1998braves64
03-12-2012, 03:45 AM
Huh interesting... I know some Bison fans got upset by getting a 14 seed but in the end it was still a fun ride played a decent memorable game against Kansas (hey Woodside had the most points of any player in the opening round so...) Enjoy the ride hope SDSU can pull a rabbit out of the hat (no I didn't just do that!!).

zooropa
03-12-2012, 03:57 AM
a decent memorable game against Kansas

Shoot, it was a stinkin' home game! That's the least they could've done. Stick SDSU in Omaha, if you're going to screw 'em on the seed line.

Aahhhhhhh. I've got to just let it go. Stupid NCAA. Stupid Doug Fullerton, stupid Montana, could've swapped those two stupid whatever. I need a drink. What was I talking about? Oh yeah. I've got to just get over that stupid crap with....should expect it by now, really. I'm gonna write my Congressman. Where's my booze?

NDSUstudent
03-12-2012, 03:59 AM
Shoot, it was a stinkin' home game! That's the least they could've done. Stick SDSU in Omaha, if you're going to screw 'em on the seed line.

With all due respect, playing KU or MIZZOU in Omaha would be an SDSU road game.

ndsubison1
03-12-2012, 06:27 AM
I believe some of where the location these teams are being sent to are located plays a factor too not sure if that was the issue here I didn't catch where Montana-Wisc game is? I agree seems sometimes they get too cute to try to include more of the "big" name schools for the obvious reason of their market will watch the game which in turns makes more money for NCAA which in turn means they just need to admit that like you're saying and saying the small market teams you're going to get hosed year in and year out. Until a Summit team that stays in the Summit consistently produces a good product the summit team will most likely be one of the teams in NCAA hosing pile.

if you a high seed you are likely to be playing in a close location. ku/mizzou in omaha, kentucky in louisville, syracuse in pitt, michigan st in columbus, duke/unc in greensboro

ndsubison1
03-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Sorry. I forgot what a genius Lunardi is. FYI, on ESPN he said that he focused on predicting what the NCAA would do and NOT on the quality of basketball teams played. So, you're butthurt because the guru didn't predict the Selection Committee decisions correctly and that's the fault of the committee? Why don't they just let him make the decisions?

Lunardi THINKS he knows how the committee makes their decisions and he's better at it than most but he doesn't get them all right. Big shock.

hes normally close to predicting all of the teams in every single season. this year he only missed iona

NorthernBison
03-12-2012, 12:12 PM
hes normally close to predicting all of the teams in every single season. this year he only missed iona

Right. But, Lunardi only got about 50% of the seeds right. That's better than usual. Zoo is complaining about the Committee's SEEDING. He's got a point about the inconsistency but that's nothing new. Happens every year. As a matter of fact, this year there is WAY LESS complaining about the Brackets.

People act like all the Bracketology leading up to the tournament is Gospel. It's just Lunardi and others guessing how the brackets will shake out based on how they think the Committee sees the field. Then when your favorite team gets a 14 instead of a 13, you write your Congressman about how the dastardly NCAA screwed poor "Flyover U" on purpose.

Bottom line is that whether a 13 or 14 seeds is given, the chances of actually winning are so tiny as to become irrelevant.

bisonmike2
03-12-2012, 01:49 PM
SDSU got screwed having to play in Albuquerque. Omaha would have been a great spot to put them. How the hell did we get so lucky to play in Minneapolis the year we made it? Stars must have aligned or something.

Hambone
03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
While I understand the irritation of thinking SDSU got underseeded, not sure why all the hate is going towards Montana. All the discussion is based on RPI by Zoo. Well, why not get irritated by the following instead of just Montana:

13 seed NMSU has an RPI of 59
11 seed Colorado has an RPI of 62
13 seed Davidson has an RPI of 65
Yes, I know Colorado is from the PAC, but they do have a lower RPI. Also, consider that Iona has an RPI of 41, and has to play the 14 seed play in game. If you're going strictly from RPI, how is that fair?

EDIT: Another thing to note - Montana did have a vote in the coaches poll. Could that have pushed them up higher? I have no idea, but wanted to throw that out there.

Hammersmith
03-12-2012, 03:25 PM
SDSU got screwed having to play in Albuquerque. Omaha would have been a great spot to put them. How the hell did we get so lucky to play in Minneapolis the year we made it? Stars must have aligned or something.
I can't blame the NCAA for not sending SDSU to Omaha. Both Kansas and Missouri needed to play there and, since they are both 2-seeds, that meant Omaha was going to get them plus two each of 7-, 10-, and 15-seeds. As a 14-seed, SDSU was going to end up with the 3-seeds(Baylor-Albuquerque, Marquette-Louisville, Florida State-Nashville, Georgetown-Columbus). Even if SDSU had gotten a 13-seed, it wouldn't have helped since Kansas and Missouri had locked up Omaha. The only way SDSU goes to Omaha is as a 15-seed.

And just because SDSU is in the West bracket doesn't mean the committee felt they were the lowest 14-seed. The committee is very open that there are two different stages to the process. First, all the seeds are placed in order. Once that is done, they start assigning teams to locations based on a different set of criteria. While they try to keep things in order, sometimes the two methods conflict and teams are placed in regionals out of their original order. Until I see a source that specifically says the committee placed SDSU as the last 14-seed(with a quote from a committee member), I'm going to assume that SDSU was higher on the first list but got bumped to the West region because of other issues.

I was going to say that I was a bit surprised that SDSU is going to Albuquerque rather than to Louisville because BYU would've been a better choice for New Mexico. But after thinking about it for a bit, I realized what the committee is doing. Last year, a couple of the first four got screwed because they finished their play-in game and then immediately had to travel across the country to play their next game in 36 hours. This year, the committee is taking advantage of the second/third round sites near Dayton. There was no way that the committee was going to put one of the first four teams at the Albuquerque site. Since the other two 14-seeds were from NY & TN, that meant SDSU was going to NM. It really does make sense when you try to take everything into account.

missingnumber7
03-12-2012, 04:41 PM
While I understand the irritation of thinking SDSU got underseeded, not sure why all the hate is going towards Montana. All the discussion is based on RPI by Zoo. Well, why not get irritated by the following instead of just Montana:

13 seed NMSU has an RPI of 59
11 seed Colorado has an RPI of 62
13 seed Davidson has an RPI of 65
Yes, I know Colorado is from the PAC, but they do have a lower RPI. Also, consider that Iona has an RPI of 41, and has to play the 14 seed play in game. If you're going strictly from RPI, how is that fair?

EDIT: Another thing to note - Montana did have a vote in the coaches poll. Could that have pushed them up higher? I have no idea, but wanted to throw that out there.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-03-11/kentucky-snares-no-1-overall-seed Here is the total 1-68 rankings. The one thing I found interesting from yesterday was that for years we have been pounded with the RPI and then to hear the committee come out and say its your out of conference scheduling. Kinda kills the small conferences as they are going to get fewer games against the big conferences and play more against the Mid majors. The Mid Majors get the majority of the non conference against the High Majors. Schools like Oakland and ORU have the scheduling idea right...go play these big schools. And the more at larges given to the small conferences the tighter the high majors will be with their non conference games meaning it will be a big conference dominated tourney again.

NorthernBison
03-12-2012, 05:26 PM
There has to be a method to the madness but the Committee rankings and the seeds don't exactly match up.

Interesting that SDSU was ranked 56 and Montana 55. Montana with a 13 seed and SDSU with a 14.

BYU (48) and Iona (50) playing a first round game for a 14 seed.

South Florida (47) and Cal (45) playing a first round game for a 12 seed.

1998braves64
03-12-2012, 05:33 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-03-11/kentucky-snares-no-1-overall-seed Here is the total 1-68 rankings.

So according to that Montana was last #13 seed and SDSU was first #14 seed? Not that it makes sense or helps zooropas mental health wellbeing that is somewhat "reasonable" just curious how Montana got to be 1 up on SDSU?

GRAFTONBISON
03-12-2012, 05:49 PM
There has to be a method to the madness but the Committee rankings and the seeds don't exactly match up.

Interesting that SDSU was ranked 56 and Montana 55. Montana with a 13 seed and SDSU with a 14.

Just read that they had to move BYU/Iona to a 14 seed game to accomodate the fact that BYU will not allow there athletic teams to play on Sundays.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7674666/2012-men-ncaa-tournament-st-bonaventure-bonnies-win-canceled-vote-final-spot

Hammersmith
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Just read that they had to move BYU/Iona to a 14 seed game to accomodate the fact that BYU will not allow there athletic teams to play on Sundays.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7674666/2012-men-ncaa-tournament-st-bonaventure-bonnies-win-canceled-vote-final-spot
So if not for BYU, Montana and SDSU would've been the last two 14-seeds. It was just enough to help Montana move to 13, but not quite enough to help SDSU.

GRAFTONBISON
03-12-2012, 05:55 PM
So if not for BYU, Montana and SDSU would've been the last two 14-seeds. It was just enough to help Montana move to 13, but not quite enough to help SDSU.

That's the way I interpret it as well.

Hammersmith
03-12-2012, 05:59 PM

Those are because of the 68-team expansion compromise. Two play-in games are for 16-seeds, and two are for wherever the last at-larges are seeded. This year, that should've been 12 except for BYU's problem with playing on Sundays; that knocked BYU/Iona from a 12 to a 14.

zooropa
03-12-2012, 06:24 PM

Because Montana's better than SDSU. :rolleyes:

About all I can say is that Ken Pom is giving SDSU just over a 1 in 4 shot to beat Baylor and ESPN is giving the Jacks about a 1 in 3 shot, which are pretty strange odds for a 3-14.

NorthernBison
03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
Because Montana's better than SDSU. :rolleyes:

About all I can say is that Ken Pom is giving SDSU just over a 1 in 4 shot to beat Baylor and ESPN is giving the Jacks about a 1 in 3 shot, which are pretty strange odds for a 3-14.

I'm guessing the typical winning % for 14 vs 3 is quite a bit below 33%. Does Baylor have some really big weaknesses that nobody seems to have noticed?

zooropa
03-12-2012, 06:56 PM
I'm guessing the typical winning % for 14 vs 3 is quite a bit below 33%. Does Baylor have some really big weaknesses that nobody seems to have noticed?

Haven't the foggiest. Pomeroy's rating was based on a 'log5' comparison using his rankings as opposed to winning percentage (which was originally used to calculate log5), which tends to support the notion that SDSU was thoroughly hosed by the selection committee, as SDSU's winning probability is 11th in the region per KenPom, while their seed is 14th.

I think the winning percentage of 14 seeds, historically, is like 15%.

KSBisonFan
03-12-2012, 07:22 PM

Coaching is Baylor's weakness. Drew is not highly regarded in the Big XII when it comes to game coaching and player development. He can recruit unbelievable talent but doesn't seem to get them to the next level. They are soft and sometimes seem to sleep walk through games. I think they peaked against KU and it wouldn't surprise me if SDSU beat them.

NorthernBison
03-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Haven't the foggiest. Pomeroy's rating was based on a 'log5' comparison using his rankings as opposed to winning percentage (which was originally used to calculate log5), which tends to support the notion that SDSU was thoroughly hosed by the selection committee, as SDSU's winning probability is 11th in the region per KenPom, while their seed is 14th.

I think the winning percentage of 14 seeds, historically, is like 15%.

15% is really higher than I thought it would be.

Actually, I think 12, 13, and 14 aren't bad seeds to have. If you win , you get a 4, 5, 6 type team to play for a trip to the sweet 16.

7, 8, 9, and 10 seeds are the spot of death. You're almost assured to get a 1 or 2 seed in the second round.

MNLonghorn10
03-12-2012, 09:10 PM
well. scott drew is a moron. they were much bigger than mizzou, and decided on jumpshots all game long.

if he uses his size advantage, sdsu has no chance unless they make a ton of 3's at a ridiculous rate.

344Johnson
03-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Ouch, SDSU draws Baylor as a #14! Terrible draw for them!

I feel awful for them. That really blows.

tjbison
03-12-2012, 11:54 PM
I feel awful for them. That really blows.

Why?? We drew the Defending National Champs in 09

344Johnson
03-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Why?? We drew the Defending National Champs in 09

I felt awful for us too. It'd be really nice if one of these times, the Summit could have a really really good team that could draw a 10 or 11 seed. What was Oakland last year?

tjbison
03-13-2012, 12:01 AM
I felt awful for us too. It'd be really nice if one of these times, the Summit could have a really really good team that could draw a 10 or 11 seed. What was Oakland last year?

Oakland was a 13 seed last year, got beat by Texas 85-81

EndZoneQB
03-13-2012, 12:24 AM
Oakland was a 13 seed last year, got beat by Texas 85-81

Which, quite literally, was the worst possible matchup in the entire tournament for them IMO. Tristan Thompson was their defensive strength....right in Oaklands offense strength. Thompson>Benson

NorthernBison
03-13-2012, 12:20 PM

7,8,9, and 10 seeds are the worst in the tournament for decent teams. Your reward for a win in the first game is a 1 or 2 seed so you basically have zero chance of getting to the second weekend.

12 and 13 seeds have a shot at Cinderella because both end up with 4 and 5 seed teams in the second round if they win. The difference between Top 10 teams and Top 20 teams is noticeable.

IndyBison
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2012-03-11/kentucky-snares-no-1-overall-seed Here is the total 1-68 rankings. The one thing I found interesting from yesterday was that for years we have been pounded with the RPI and then to hear the committee come out and say its your out of conference scheduling. Kinda kills the small conferences as they are going to get fewer games against the big conferences and play more against the Mid majors. The Mid Majors get the majority of the non conference against the High Majors. Schools like Oakland and ORU have the scheduling idea right...go play these big schools. And the more at larges given to the small conferences the tighter the high majors will be with their non conference games meaning it will be a big conference dominated tourney again.
They start with the 1-68 and seed everyone based won where they fall. They did change the process last year or the year before and didn't force the play-in games to only be 16 seeds and also made the last at-large teams play in them rather than auto-qualifiers. I believe that is still true.

They start with the teams and place them together in regions regardless of game location. Then they assign the 1 seeds to the closest regional site and then the closest 2/3 round site. Since all 4 were in the east someone was heading west. Then they repeat for seeds 2-4. These are the only protected seeds for rounds 2 and 3. There were no western teams in the top 4 seeds so someone was getting sent west for the 2nd and 3rd round. Indiana is going to Portand because someone had to.

They wil shift around seeds even at the bottom to accomodate certain things. The BYU example is one of them. Let's say for example New Mexico ended up as a 14 seed and their first round opponent was Baylor who was assigned to Albuquerque. They wouldn't let UNM play there so they would have to either switch with someone else as the 14 seed in another region or they might be changed to a different seed.

It's as much an art form as it is a science. Nobody is trying to screw anyone. IU and Purdue were fairly even teams this year although IU did win both games handily. They played the last regular season game and both were 10-7 in the conference and only a game or two different in overall record. IU had some bigger wins but they weren't that different. IU got a 4 seed but has to travel to Portland. Purdue got a 10 seed and is a little closer in Omaha.

KSBisonFan
03-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Play in games....errrrrr....First Round Games tonight: Western Kentucky vs Jerry Rice University (both 16 seeds)
Iona vs BYU (both 14 seeds)

I'm going with Jerry Rice University and Iona to be the sacrificial lambs next round.

tony
03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Play in games....errrrrr....First Round Games tonight: Western Kentucky vs Jerry Rice University (both 16 seeds)
Iona vs BYU (both 14 seeds)

I'm going with Jerry Rice University and Iona to be the sacrificial lambs next round.

How about going Comp Sci on the round name and calling it Round Zero? I can already think of at least one potential sponsor.

KSBisonFan
03-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Syracuse' Fab Melo ineligible for NCAA tourney.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7681715/2012-ncaa-tournament-syracuse-orange-announce-fab-melo-ineligible-tourney

zooropa
03-13-2012, 08:08 PM

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7681715/2012-ncaa-tournament-syracuse-orange-announce-fab-melo-ineligible-tourney

Pfft. Boeheim told the NCAA about this like *five* years ago.

ndsubison1
03-13-2012, 08:28 PM

kinda like when they lost onawaku two seasons ago because of an injury and they ended up losing to butler in the sweet 16. i dont see them making it past that this season

JSUBison
03-13-2012, 10:40 PM
MVSU/WKU set to tip off. It's on something called TruTV. Obama is courtside.

MNLonghorn10
03-14-2012, 12:28 AM
i doubt cableone gets it.

midcon does. dont worry fargoians..youre not missin anything.

KSBisonFan
03-14-2012, 12:36 AM
i doubt cableone gets it.

midcon does. dont worry fargoians..youre not missin anything.

MVSU up 13 with 6:30 left.

KSBisonFan
03-14-2012, 12:43 AM
Also, FYI, tourney games will be run on 4 networks including CBS, TNT, TBS and TruTV to allow full broadcast of games and prevent home markets being cut away from their games. It's already been announced here in KS both KU and KSU games will be on TruTV.....Some people pissed because not everyone gets it on cable. Just a heads up in case you're looking to watch a specific game and can't find it......try the other networks or watch online.

JSUBison
03-14-2012, 12:51 AM
MVSU pissing this one away. Was up by 16, but now only lead by 1. WKU scored 15 straight. Unbelievable, that's why it's called March Madness. About 2 minutes left.

KSBisonFan
03-14-2012, 12:53 AM
MVSU pissing this one away. Was up by 16, but now only lead by 1.

Check out the box score on this one.....embarrassing. WKU 10% from 3.....MVSU 20% from 3 and 43% from the line.....WKU with 25+ turnovers? Yeah, let's expand the field some more next year.

EndZoneQB
03-14-2012, 12:55 AM
Check out the box score on this one.....embarrassing. WKU 10% from 3.....MVSU 20% from 3 and 43% from the line.....WKU with 25+ turnovers? Yeah, let's expand the field some more next year.

Auto qualifiers homie...

JSUBison
03-14-2012, 12:56 AM

Yeah, both these teams are very flawed, sloppy, untalented, etc.... NDSU would beat both by at least 15. And I'm talking about the February Bison. The November Bison would roll them by 25-30. :hungry:

KSBisonFan
03-14-2012, 12:59 AM
Yeah, both these teams are very flawed, sloppy, untalented, etc.... NDSU would beat both by at least 15. And I'm talking about the February Bison. The November Bison would roll them by 25-30. :hungry:

Haha....I was just thinking the same thing....Bison beat both these teams. Pathetic.

KSBisonFan
03-14-2012, 01:07 AM
3 to win it for MVSU.............................................. .................AIRBALL!!!

JSUBison
03-14-2012, 01:09 AM
Well it's over. WKU wins, 59-58. Yes the teams weren't very good, but that comeback was amazing. Those Valley players gotta be devastated though.

KSBisonFan
03-14-2012, 01:34 AM
Make a free throw or at what point does the coach say, "don't shoot until the shot clock is below :10". May have been the Best and Worst game I've seen....ridiculous and I might have to blame it on Obama.

Seth Davis still picking SDSU and Belmont as 1st round.....errrrrrrr.....2nd round winners.

KSBisonFan
03-14-2012, 01:56 AM
BYU and Iona off to an insane pace.....fun game to watch so far.

JSUBison
03-14-2012, 02:27 AM
Iona absolutely dominating right now, 49-24. Six minutes left in first half! I was hoping BYU would pound Iona, my thinking if Iona crapped the bed it would make their selection into the tourney over ORU make their conference look worse.

KSBisonFan
03-14-2012, 03:03 AM
Iona absolutely dominating right now, 49-24. Six minutes left in first half! I was hoping BYU would pound Iona, my thinking if Iona crapped the bed it would make their selection into the tourney over ORU make their conference look worse.

Not slowing down for the 2nd half.....Iona looks good!

JSUBison
03-14-2012, 03:26 AM
This game looked like a blowout, but it's tightening up now. Iona leads 62-57. Iona will lose I bet.

ndsubison1
03-14-2012, 03:54 AM
Make a free throw or at what point does the coach say, "don't shoot until the shot clock is below :10". May have been the Best and Worst game I've seen....ridiculous and I might have to blame it on Obama.

Seth Davis still picking SDSU and Belmont as 1st round.....errrrrrrr.....2nd round winners.

i continue to still call it the conventional 1st round, 2nd round, sweet 16, etc. these are play in games, not the first round. haha

JSUBison
03-14-2012, 03:59 AM
What an exciting opening night. BYU comes back and wins it. Iona had 55 points in the first half, but only scored 17 in 2nd half. Hope this is a sign of the games to come, if it is, this will be a great tourney.

HoopsBison
03-14-2012, 04:09 AM
Iona blows a 25 point lead...wow cant imagine what bisonville would be like with that kind of meltdown.

MNLonghorn10
03-14-2012, 04:09 AM
wow..iona was a tale of 2 totally different teams in each half.

also that wku comeback was crazy, i think they had 8-10 steals in the final 5 minutes, while miss valley st had 2 shots.

KSBisonFan
03-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Those were 2 amazing games........this tournament is going to be unbelievable. I'm already conceding my brackets are going to be trash after Thursday. Let the madness begin!

KSBisonFan
03-15-2012, 01:56 PM
CSU vs Murray State get the madness started at 11:15 this morning. Let the 2 least productive work days of the year begin!!

ndsubison1
03-15-2012, 04:24 PM
or in tabs case thats everyday :D

MNLonghorn10
03-15-2012, 05:01 PM
lol tim miles is a nerd

ndsubison1
03-15-2012, 05:14 PM
lol tim miles is a nerd

yes he is. haha

MNLonghorn10
03-15-2012, 05:22 PM
north dakota state mention.

EXPOSURE!

Wally
03-15-2012, 05:43 PM
My goodness, the rams are looking brutal

GradBison
03-15-2012, 05:43 PM
CSU getting whopped in the 2nd half. Scored only 2 pts and down 13 with 12 mins to go.

HoopsBison
03-15-2012, 05:44 PM
My goodness, the rams are looking brutal

Way to many turnovers, Murray State is a bad match up for them though. Athletic,quick, and can really defend the three.

MNLonghorn10
03-15-2012, 05:45 PM
way to show up in the second half.

Wally
03-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Murray state is 6-17 the line. Csu guards playing like junior high kids

EndZoneQB
03-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Way to many turnovers, Murray State is a bad match up for them though. Athletic,quick, and can really defend the three.

Those turnovers REALLY hurt them. They are playing much better now, but I just don't see them coming back.

bisonaudit
03-15-2012, 06:51 PM
Are they staggering the start times more this year?

If so, good.

Twentysix
03-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Are they staggering the start times more this year?

If so, good.

After watching the summit ncaa games in the past, Montana did not belong.

edit: on phone.. didnt mean to quote you.

Montana looked lost even when it was closer.

Bison"FANatic"
03-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Could we have the first 16 seed knocking off a 1 ever???????

Syracuse down 4 at half.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-15-2012, 09:06 PM
Cuse 10 minutes left and down 1

MNLonghorn10
03-15-2012, 09:39 PM
the fix is in.

DjKyRo
03-15-2012, 09:41 PM
the fix is in.

That was an unbelievable pair of blown calls.

MNLonghorn10
03-15-2012, 09:47 PM
dont forget the obvious goaltending on the syracuse foul when the player "blocked the shot" after it hit the backboard. and the 5 second call

boehim is such a pos.

HoopsBison
03-15-2012, 09:54 PM
I mean seriously you have got to be kidding with that officiating at the end. I know they are out there trying their best and it isnt easy but to get such a blatant obviously call wrong in that situation is a travesty. And I dont just blame the one ref, how the hell did the other two do not stop the game and talk about it is crazy sad.

Such a sad way for a great game to end.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-15-2012, 09:59 PM
The lane violation was the correct call but every other call was bs, the thing on the out of bounds one is it was clearly out on cuse, but there could of been called a foul on unca. If not calling a foul it should not have been Cuse ball.

HoopsBison
03-15-2012, 10:11 PM
The lane violation was the correct call but every other call was bs, the thing on the out of bounds one is it was clearly out on cuse, but there could of been called a foul on unca. If not calling a foul it should not have been Cuse ball.

The foul call is irrelevant because the play was called out of bounds on UNCA, you cant just make that up because you missed the foul call. It was foul though.

BisonTeacher
03-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Nice uniforms Baylor. They look like they belong on a soccer field.

JSUBison
03-16-2012, 12:26 AM
Nice uniforms Baylor. They look like they belong on a soccer field.

Or on a crab boat. :deadliestcatchraingear

BisonTeacher
03-16-2012, 12:32 AM
Or on a crab boat. :deadliestcatchraingear

MrsBisonTeacher's contribution.....Or on a road construction crew

1998braves64
03-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Shockers trying to prevent getting shocked by VCU

1998braves64
03-16-2012, 01:28 AM
VCU upsets Wichita State 62-59

EndZoneQB
03-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Shockers trying to prevent getting shocked by VCU

The sound you hear is Shaka Smart accepting the Illinois job...lol

bisonaudit
03-16-2012, 02:05 AM
I think uconn must still be back at their hotel.

BadlandsBison
03-16-2012, 02:06 AM
Jackrabbit loss preserves my bracket. I'm selfish lol

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

KSBisonFan
03-16-2012, 02:18 AM
I think uconn must still be back at their hotel.
Uconn within 10 at half after being down 22.....had a chance to get closer but their guy launches a half court shot with about 3.5 seconds left!

Wally
03-16-2012, 02:24 AM
I can't believe it is 20 years since that game. I hate Duke, but I drew them in a bracket challenge that year....won a cool $800 thanks to that laettner shot.....the pass from Hill wasn't bad either

http://p.twimg.com/AoEGuG4CQAAJyMc.jpg

1998braves64
03-16-2012, 03:58 AM
ND boy Dufault lighting it up against UNLV..

BadlandsBison
03-16-2012, 04:08 AM
ND boy Dufault lighting it up against UNLV..

So proud if him, great for Austin and the Buffs

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

ndsubison1
03-16-2012, 06:54 AM
I mean seriously you have got to be kidding with that officiating at the end. I know they are out there trying their best and it isnt easy but to get such a blatant obviously call wrong in that situation is a travesty. And I dont just blame the one ref, how the hell did the other two do not stop the game and talk about it is crazy sad.

Such a sad way for a great game to end.

theres no way indybison can excuse or defend the officiating in that game yesterday

ndsubison1
03-16-2012, 07:14 AM

yeah. the analysts have no idea what they are talking about. some of buddies were screaming at the tv during the lane violation. players behind the 3 point line cant enter inside of it until it hits the rim

HandoEX
03-16-2012, 01:10 PM
I went 14-2 yesterday with Wichita State and Colorado State as my two incorrect picks. Had the Rams losing to Marquette in the next round but had Wichita State losing in the Sweet 16.

MNLonghorn10
03-16-2012, 03:22 PM
yesterday was horrible.

wichita st. colorado st. new mexico state(wtf was i thinking) long beach...jesus.

EndZoneQB
03-16-2012, 03:56 PM
yesterday was horrible.

wichita st. colorado st. new mexico state(wtf was i thinking) long beach...jesus.

Yep, same here, with exception of NMSU, and add in UNLV. I had them and WSU going to the sweet 16.

JSUBison
03-16-2012, 04:12 PM
Anybody else "sick" at home like I am? :hide:

JSUBison
03-16-2012, 04:14 PM
I went 14-2 yesterday with Wichita State and Colorado State as my two incorrect picks. Had the Rams losing to Marquette in the next round but had Wichita State losing in the Sweet 16.

My pick of Wichita St in the sweet 16 doesn't look so good now. I picked #11 seed NC State to make Sweet 16 also, that could bite me as well.

SlickVic
03-16-2012, 04:17 PM
we are clap clap marquette...hey yo burgandy or any other old degenerates out there know if u can still get a bet in on the golden warriors to bring one home in honor of old al mcguire ?

MNLonghorn10
03-16-2012, 05:18 PM
lol @ barkley not knowing who south dakota st was.

texas sucks.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-16-2012, 06:53 PM

texas sucks.

Nice 2nd half by Texas actually made it a game.

NC State looked real good today.

SDbison
03-16-2012, 07:23 PM

texas sucks. You finally figured that out.........

ndsubison1
03-16-2012, 08:16 PM
st bonaventure taking it to florida st right now. ive been saying all along that st. bons is much better than a 14 seed

HandoEX
03-16-2012, 08:33 PM
st bonaventure taking it to florida st right now. ive been saying all along that st. bons is much better than a 14 seed
4 point game now, FSU will win by 7.

MNLonghorn10
03-16-2012, 09:15 PM
good job to that boner player. going for 2 jumpshots when down 3 with 5 seconds left

zooropa
03-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Holy crap. Is Norfolk State going to beat Mizzou? How awesome would that be?

JSUBison
03-16-2012, 10:38 PM
Holy crap. Is Norfolk State going to beat Mizzou? How awesome would that be?

34 seconds away from complete destruction of brackets everywhere.

tjbison
03-16-2012, 10:42 PM
1 point Norflok St lead with 10 seconds to go

zooropa
03-16-2012, 10:49 PM

Hate to say it, but I think everyone got on the wrong 'tournament newcomer' bandwagon.

MNLonghorn10
03-16-2012, 10:52 PM
M i z

o u t!

Hahahahaha

EndZoneQB
03-16-2012, 10:53 PM
M-i-z-z-w-h-i-o-u-x!

JSUBison
03-16-2012, 10:55 PM
M i z

o u t!

Hahahahaha

I like the close ups of the old pissed off Mizzou fans.

zooropa
03-16-2012, 11:55 PM

There are TWO correct brackets on ESPN.com right now.

TWO out of 6.45 MILLION.

That's just awesome.

EndZoneQB
03-17-2012, 12:33 AM

TWO out of 6.45 MILLION.

That's just awesome.

I just have to know what those people were smoking that actually picked NSU over Mizzwhioux. They HAVE to be NSU fans or they were being upset minded with it overall...

EndZoneQB
03-17-2012, 12:38 AM
LOL, watching the Duke/Lehigh game and I saw a fan with a sign that said "We are ridiculous Lehigh". Hilarious.

aces1180
03-17-2012, 01:29 AM
My bracket is shot anyway, so I say go Mountain Hawks!

BisonTeacher
03-17-2012, 01:33 AM
LOL, watching the Duke/Lehigh game and I saw a fan with a sign that said "We are ridiculous Lehigh". Hilarious.

not so ridiculous right now...leading duke with 30 seconds left! two #15 upsets in one day....only been 4 all time before today!

aces1180
03-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Rivers with the flop...

JSUBison
03-17-2012, 01:37 AM
Crazy day, Michigan lost as well. Hope Dookie goes down.

EndZoneQB
03-17-2012, 01:44 AM
My bracket is shot anyway, so I say go Mountain Hawks!

Agreed lol I still have all 4 final four teams, but I've lost like 5-6 sweet 16 teams already haha Best part is, after the Norfolk State upset, the panel was talking how this game wouldn't be the same thing. It's one thing to upset Mizzou, it's QUITE another to upset Duke and Coach K, lets be realistic.

not so ridiculous right now...leading duke with 30 seconds left! two #15 upsets in one day....only been 4 all time before today!

Did you get the sign? It basically said "we are ridiculously high"

BisonTeacher
03-17-2012, 01:48 AM
Did you get the sign? It basically said "we are ridiculously high"

I got it. Agreed on the Mizz vs Duke thing. Mizz is not a perennial 2 seed. Duke is...and a they are a Giant. David truly slayeth Goliath tonight.

NDSUstudent
03-17-2012, 01:49 AM
I guess the 15 seed is the new 12.

EndZoneQB
03-17-2012, 01:52 AM
I got it. Agreed on the Mizz vs Duke thing. Mizz is not a perennial 2 seed. Duke is...and a they are a Giant. David truly slayeth Goliath tonight.

Haha, figured you did, but your reply made me wonder, didn't mean to discredit your intelligence haha.

Exactly, and Coach K is one of the best coaches in the history of college basketball, so he definitely knows how to get his guys ready to play.

After the first day, I was slightly disappointed with how this tournament was going, but after today, man was I wrong! Today has been exceptional! You have to feel a little bit for Norfolk St/Lehigh since now they will have to share the cinderella spotlight haha

BisonTeacher
03-17-2012, 02:03 AM
I really respect coach K. If you haven't read his book you should. I coach for a living...so it was an easy read for me. I think its called coaching from the heart or something like that...can't remember the title.

IndyBison
03-17-2012, 03:31 AM
theres no way indybison can excuse or defend the officiating in that game yesterday
I didn't see any of the game but heard a lot about it. Even if I had seen it I wouldn't know if the calls were correct because I don't know basketball rules and philosophies. I checked with some friends who do though and they said the lane violation was an absolute correct call although some did question the technicality of the call in that situation. It's not common. Nobody said the out of bounds call was correct but someone did say there used to be a philosophy that if you have a foul and the ball go out of bounds last touched by the team who was fouled to pass on the foul (unless it was flagrant) and give the offended team the ball. They wondered if the guys working this game still worked under that philosophy.

The only other comment they made was this was generally a well-officiated game and there was one bad call near the end of the game. There's a huge difference between bad officiating and a couple bad calls.

IndyBison
03-17-2012, 03:34 AM

TWO out of 6.45 MILLION.

That's just awesome.
In the pool I'm in one guy has a bracket he called "Dice Roll". He rolled a dice on every pick. If it came up 1-4 he picked the higher seeded team. If it came up 5 or 6 he picked the lower seeded team. He's currently in third place (out of 26 participants) and has the highest best possible score if his picks play out. He didn't have Lehigh or Norfolk State but he did have UNC-Asheville over Syracuse. It will be hilarious if he wins!

EndZoneQB
03-17-2012, 04:30 AM
BOOM! My bracket is slightly redeemed for one round, the Xavier and USF wins helped a ton. Moved up a bunch in my pool.

ndsubison1
03-17-2012, 06:15 AM
I didn't see any of the game but heard a lot about it. Even if I had seen it I wouldn't know if the calls were correct because I don't know basketball rules and philosophies. I checked with some friends who do though and they said the lane violation was an absolute correct call although some did question the technicality of the call in that situation. It's not common. Nobody said the out of bounds call was correct but someone did say there used to be a philosophy that if you have a foul and the ball go out of bounds last touched by the team who was fouled to pass on the foul (unless it was flagrant) and give the offended team the ball. They wondered if the guys working this game still worked under that philosophy.

The only other comment they made was this was generally a well-officiated game and there was one bad call near the end of the game. There's a huge difference between bad officiating and a couple bad calls.

lane violation was def correct. the goalending and out of bounds one were terrible and possibly decided the game

DjKyRo
03-17-2012, 07:46 AM
My bracket:

http://i.imgur.com/4aYTw.gif

Hammersmith
03-17-2012, 10:31 PM
No perfect brackets(32-0) after the round of 64. No 31-1 brackets either. Best left is 30-2 and there are four of those. Records from notable ESPN personalities include Jay Bilas at 26-6(99.9 percentile), Michaels Wilbon and Golic at 24-8(97.1), Dick Vitale at 21-11(58.0), Andy Katz at 20-12(37.1), Doug Gottlieb at 18-14(10.2), and Mike Greenburg at 17-15(4.8). And not one of them picked SDSU.

Current updates put them: Bilas at 99.9, Golic at 97.9, Wilbon at 83.4, Dickie V at 66.4, Katz at 47.8, Greenie at 10.7 and Gottlieb at 6.0.

1998braves64
03-18-2012, 02:58 AM
Best bracket (one of fox sports page) I have (ranked in the 1000s out of 300,000) has Duke in final 4 but since the points thing hasn't kicked in so next week it's going to start freefalling. My best one on bisonville at best probably will end up scraping up scraps in the bottom of the leaderboard ironically... and the worst one has the best shot of doing much at all!

Twentysix
03-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Oakland is the only Summit team still going the summit went 2-0 against buffalo this year.

IzzyFlexion
03-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Attention future Kentucky Wildcats opponents.

Getting into a track meet with these guys is a guarenteed LOSS!

Iowa State looked damn good against them and were able to run with them for about 30 minutes. It made for an entertaining game as that building was eeeeelectric.

But these Wildcats are borderline NBA quality. They will BEG you to get into a 100 mile per hour pace with them. If you fall into this........you will be dismantled in the end.

DjKyRo
03-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Attention future Kentucky Wildcats opponents.

Getting into a track meet with these guys is a guarenteed LOSS!

Iowa State looked damn good against them and were able to run with them for about 30 minutes. It made for an entertaining game as that building was eeeeelectric.

But these Wildcats are borderline NBA quality. They will BEG you to get into a 100 mile per hour pace with them. If you fall into this........you will be dismantled in the end.

That Anthony Davis cat is just an animal. Long, athletic, imposing, and a decent shot from outside. No wonder so many folks are pegging him as the first taken in the draft.

Wally
03-19-2012, 03:02 AM
KU and Purdue going down to the wire.

silkamilkamonico
03-19-2012, 03:16 AM
OMG what an emotional rollercoaster. I feel like Im having a heart attack.

Rock Chalk!!

ndsubison1
03-19-2012, 03:20 AM
wow kansas pulled that one out of their ass. im thinking nc state will take them down. acc elite 8 matchup unc vs ncsu

silkamilkamonico
03-19-2012, 03:25 AM
That's guts.

HoopsBison
03-19-2012, 03:37 AM
Found myself really cheering for Hummel and Purdue. Great win for Kansas but man what a warrior that Hummel kid is. Coming of two acl tears, those are the kids you cant help but cheer for and he played an amazing game.

Wally
03-19-2012, 04:14 AM
4 of the Sweet 16 teams are from Ohio, 1st time ever.

Cincy
Ohio
Ohio St
Xavier

onbison09
03-19-2012, 05:42 AM
I really respect coach K. If you haven't read his book you should. I coach for a living...so it was an easy read for me. I think its called coaching from the heart or something like that...can't remember the title.

http://deadspin.com/5893113/coach-k-is-a-dick

NDSUFan_Sav
03-19-2012, 06:01 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!! I'm in awe still you can say all you want but Self adjusted defensively BIG TIME and then switched back with man to man those last 2 possessions. That defense stepped up big when their shots weren't falling all game. Purdue had a great game plan to make KU shoot from outside and not go down low, it really got to the heads of some of the players but they kept fighting. They basically took Hummel out of the 2nd half only allowing 4 points. He had to work for everything to even get the ball.

I want to congratulate Hummel on an amazing career and wow he couldn't miss in the first half, such a class act and really hope he can continue to do well in the NBA.

KC Bison
03-19-2012, 12:36 PM
For KU to shoot 33% for the game and 25% on 3-pointers and still win is pretty amazing. I figured that Self would make adjustments at half-time and Hummel only got four points in the second half.

KSBisonFan
03-19-2012, 01:50 PM
For KU to shoot 33% for the game and 25% on 3-pointers and still win is pretty amazing. I figured that Self would make adjustments at half-time and Hummel only got four points in the second half.

Adjustments is an understatement. That is how you coach a basketball game. KU looked like they were sleep-walking most of the game, Robinson was off, they couldn't hit an outside shot, couldn't defend.
Self's post-game interview was interesting in how he explained some of the adjustments. He switched defenses several times just to find something that worked....he tried triangle & 2, zone, all guards & no bigs, different matchups in man to man. Now if he could just get through to Teahan to stop launching 3's off the side of the backboard and airballs. Ugly, Big 10 style game but the 2 coaches made it really fun to watch.

BisonAccountant44
03-20-2012, 04:13 PM
http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-football/ohio-shirt-pokes-fun-at-brady-hoke-michigans-ouster-from-tournament/

onbison09
03-20-2012, 09:30 PM
The Sweet 16 looks really good on paper

ndsubison1
03-20-2012, 10:34 PM
this is getting interesting. not sure if unc can make it to the final four without marshall and if he does play how effective will he be? nc state is deadly and matches up well with ku. ku just merely got by purdue. syracuse is in for a tough game with wisconsin. will they be able to get out in transition vs the wisky d? msu and lville are two contrasting styles. florida has been shooting well, can they continue to do that vs. marquette? cincy is hot right now and i still dont know what to think of osu. these are gonna be some great games

IndyBison
03-20-2012, 10:39 PM
Pitt and Butler tomorrow night in the CBI is a re-match of the great tournament game from last year. I bet nobody touches another player in the last 5 seconds of the game!

Wally
03-24-2012, 01:50 AM
Ohio and Carolina going OT.

EndZoneQB
03-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Ohio and Carolina going OT.

That was a fun game down the stretch. I knew if they went to OT that UNC would win, I mean just think if that kid had sank that free throw...

onbison09
03-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Don't see anyone beating Kentucky. They could probably give some bad NBA teams a game

KC Bison
03-24-2012, 05:13 PM
And the beat goes on. KU wins, again playing a poor game. You just felt like KU could have gone up 20 if they could have hit some 3's. At one point, they were shooting 9% on their 3's. To be in the elite 8 with their worst team in at least 10 years is pretty amazing.

ndsubison1
03-25-2012, 09:49 PM
ku-unc one of the best games thus far

KSBisonFan
03-25-2012, 10:47 PM
ku-unc one of the best games thus far

Yeah, ridiculous pace and intensity in the first half. UNC starting to do nothing but hoist 3's. C'mon KU!!

KSBisonFan
03-25-2012, 11:14 PM
Yesss!!! KU to the final four! Self is the master of half-time adjustments and out-coached Roy, again.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-26-2012, 02:11 AM
Nola bound....hell yeah! Self has coached sooo amazing in the tourney. Also, Tyshawn finally stepped up big.

KSBisonFan
03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
Listening to sports talk radio this morning and some interesting notes about KU/UNC:

Bill Self was asked why he didn't switch up defenses in the first half and he said he didn't want to give UNC something to figure out at half. KU was up 7 at the 4:00 mark and he knew UNC couldn't shoot 60+% in the 2nd half. 2nd half starts and KU goes to a triangle and 2 defense.....the announcers are talking about it, I'm pointing it out on tv to my kid so you'd figure Roy knew what defense KU was in, right? Nope. Roy said he didn't realize KU was in the triangle and 2. How could UNC watch film of the Purdue game where Self threw every defense in the book at Hummel and not think he was going to change defenses at half? Mind boggling.

NDSUFan_Sav
03-26-2012, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE=KSBisonFan;615452]Listening to sports talk radio this morning and some interesting notes about KU/UNC:

Bill Self was asked why he didn't switch up defenses in the first half and he said he didn't want to give UNC something to figure out at half. KU was up 7 at the 4:00 mark and he knew UNC couldn't shoot 60+% in the 2nd half. 2nd half starts and KU goes to a triangle and 2 defense.....the announcers are talking about it, I'm pointing it out on tv to my kid so you'd figure Roy knew what defense KU was in, right? Nope. Roy said he didn't realize KU was in the triangle and 2. How could UNC watch film of the Purdue game where Self threw every defense in the book at Hummel and not think he was going to change defenses at half? Mind boggling.[/QUOTE]

Self also thought this team needed the win against osu just to make the tourney. The players talked this last off season and said they will listen and do everything what the coach tells them. They knew past years that they didnt always listen to the coach and went home earlier then they wanted and didn't want that to happen agai.n. Self has done a tremendous job of coaching, the adjustments he has made are amazing. Going into the season I didnt expect to get past the sweet 16 let alone the final 4. It's amazing what he's done with this team, to see the improvements with some of these guys is awesome. Kansas needed Tyshawn to have the game he did.

EndZoneQB
03-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Kansas also needed Kendall Marshall out of the lineup ;)

IndyBison
03-26-2012, 07:47 PM
Self also thought this team needed the win against osu just to make the tourney. The players talked this last off season and said they will listen and do everything what the coach tells them. They knew past years that they didnt always listen to the coach and went home earlier then they wanted and didn't want that to happen agai.n. Self has done a tremendous job of coaching, the adjustments he has made are amazing. Going into the season I didnt expect to get past the sweet 16 let alone the final 4. It's amazing what he's done with this team, to see the improvements with some of these guys is awesome. Kansas needed Tyshawn to have the game he did.
They should have lost to Purdue in the second round. Poor play execution (having point guard dribble around for 30 seconds usually doesn't lead to a positive play) at the end doomed them. He has done a great job coaching but sometimes it comes down to execution of the guys on the floor.

KC Bison
03-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Self has won this year despite losing 6 kids off of last year's team and only getting to play 1 of their 4 recruits this year. I won't cry for UNC who lost a player for the game. Purdue found out that basketball is a 40 minute game and it doesn't matter if you lead 39 minutues and 40 seconds. If you're behind at the end, you LOSE. BTW, it always comes down to execution on the floor cuz the coach never plays.

silkamilkamonico
03-30-2012, 03:58 AM
lmao at roy williams. sometimes recruiting just aint enough, is it.

SlickVic
03-31-2012, 06:19 PM
i havnt been this exited for a final four since mateen cleaves pump it up around here people its gonna be great games on tonight

EndZoneQB
03-31-2012, 06:58 PM
i havnt been this exited for a final four since mateen cleaves pump it up around here people its gonna be great games on tonight

Mateen Cleaves shoutout ftw

ndsubison1
03-31-2012, 09:59 PM

that team was loaded. jason richardson, zach randolph, morris peterson. pump it up

Wally
03-31-2012, 10:43 PM
All I can think of when I see that hideous unibrow is Uncle Leo from Seinfeld, even though Leo doesn't have the full on unibrow

http://ohboom.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/anthonydavis-450x300.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5sRGkLEE2Nc/TV1ouNf3PhI/AAAAAAAACM0/reikKige9lk/s320/Leo.jpg

HandoEX
04-01-2012, 01:59 AM
OSU is really outworkng Kansas through the first half. Every loose ball went OSU's way in that half.

TheBisonator
04-01-2012, 03:20 AM
Kentucky vs. Kansas in the final. SNOOOOOOOORE

As a fan of the underdog, I have no interest in watching the two most elite programs in college basketball playing for their umpteenth championship.

I think I'll watch Hoarders that night.

silkamilkamonico
04-01-2012, 03:30 AM

As a fan of the underdog, I have no interest in watching the two most elite programs in college basketball playing for their umpteenth championship.

At least it isn't Butler again. Last year's National Championship was arguably the worst in the history of the tournament.

KANSAS!!!!!!!!!

KC Bison
04-01-2012, 03:43 AM
GREAT... KU in the Finals again. Goodbye THE Ohio State. So much for the All World Sullinger.

NDSUstudent
04-01-2012, 06:09 AM
I'll cheer for KU only because a despise Calipari and if KU wins I take second in my bracket pool.

BisonTeacher
04-01-2012, 01:10 PM
Self is the master of half-time adjustments

Wow. This statement is dead on. At half time it looked like OSu was gonna win.

MNLonghorn10
04-01-2012, 08:29 PM
ku wins, im 360 dollars richer.

i gave up on the bracket back on the first thursday after the early game session. apparently predicting the national championship is pretty good.

picking kansas when everyone is picking kentucky is the other way to go.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-02-2012, 12:30 AM
I want Thomas Robinson to get that championship sooooo bad. I am sooo proud of this team and wow Self iis a big reason why theyre still in it. Rcjhgku

ndsubison1
04-02-2012, 02:56 AM

personally i prefer the big dogs. you get to see some future nba players and sometimes stars. it's awesome to see smaller schools do well. it was neat to see butler and vcu last year but imo i prefer watching the bigger schools play, esp in the final four and national championship. just makes for a better game imo for the most part

KC Bison
04-02-2012, 12:55 PM
I forget. Was Missouri ever in this tournament?

Tatanka
04-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Bite me. :D

:facepalm:

silkamilkamonico
04-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Ironic to think that Self goes to the Championship game with arguably his worst KU team ever in the same year Missouri has arguably their best team ever.

NDSUFan_Sav
04-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Self has 23 tourney wins in 9 yrs mizzou 22 all time. The difference from last 2 yrs and this KU team they listen to Self whereas past 2 tried to do things on their own.

HandoEX
04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
I hope Kentucky mops the floor with KU and wins by 30.

BlueBisonRock
04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
I hope Kentucky mops the floor with KU and wins by 30.

After the Kentucky fans went on a rampage rivaling the UofMN tournement hockey championships, I have to take the opposite stance.

and besides: RockChalk!

IzzyFlexion
04-03-2012, 01:27 AM
Teriffic interpretation and performance of the National Anthem by The Fray

HoopsBison
04-03-2012, 01:39 AM
Action so far has been great. Very fast game and fun to watch.

BisonTeacher
04-03-2012, 01:53 AM
refs letting a lot go.

BisonTeacher
04-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Teriffic interpretation and performance of the National Anthem by The Fray

You forgot your purple font.

I was not a fan of the interpretation. Sorry Izzy. I think Whitney Houston just rolled over in her grave.

EndZoneQB
04-03-2012, 01:59 AM

I was not a fan of the interpretation. Sorry Izzy. I think Whitney Houston just rolled over in her grave.

Agreed. That was awful. The National Anthem needs to be loud and boisterous...especially for a sporting event in this nature and stature.

JSUBison
04-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Despite the thuggish Kentucky fans burning their town down the other night, I have to cheer for them. I can not cheer for Kansas, as they are NDSU's rival. :biggrin:

BisonTeacher
04-03-2012, 02:27 AM
We will see what kind of adjustments Self makes at half, cuz Kentucky is rolling.

IzzyFlexion
04-03-2012, 02:29 AM

Agreed. That was awful. The National Anthem needs to be loud and boisterous...especially for a sporting event in this nature and stature.

Ahh.....ya couple of f*cksticks !!:duel: :biggrin:

BisonTeacher
04-03-2012, 02:33 AM

You just don't mess with the national anthem. Ive never heard an "interpretation" that sounded good. its not meant to sound folksy, singer/songwriter james taylor-ish.

Tatanka
04-03-2012, 02:48 AM
Bottom line for me: it ain't your damn song. Sing it like it was written to be sung, and gtfo. Its about honoring our country, not a publicly stunt showing off your musical talent or in many cases the lack of it.

ndsubison1
04-03-2012, 02:58 AM
anthony davis may be player of the year but michael kidd-gilchrist is the best player in the country imo

MNLonghorn10
04-03-2012, 04:22 AM
god damn. if ku can convert a few of their missed dunks or lay ups, bill self pulls off an unbelievable feat.

that said, he's a hell of a coach.

ndsubison1
04-03-2012, 04:45 AM
god damn. if ku can convert a few of their missed dunks or lay ups, bill self pulls off an unbelievable feat.

that said, he's a hell of a coach.

taylors stupid turnover and johnsons travel were huge

EndZoneQB
04-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Taylor sucks.

BisonTeacher
04-03-2012, 01:37 PM

That travel brought back memories of of Webber vs UNC in the 90's. Then he shoots anyway and hits the three when down by 6. Ouch

MNLonghorn10
04-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Very..throw the ball off his unibrow if ur stuck in the air

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

bisonmike2
04-03-2012, 03:53 PM

I walked in the room right after it started and it took me until it was almost done to realize they were trying to sing the National Anthem. WTF was that? My ears are still bleeding.

HandoEX
04-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Brock Lesnar showwd up on Raw and beat up John Cena. Glad I watched that instead. Lol

aces1180
04-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Brock Lesnar showwd up on Raw and beat up John Cena. Glad I watched that instead. Lol

I knew he was coming back, but I wasn't sure how it would go down...I figured maybe he would either interfere in the Rock/Cena WrestleMania match, call out the Undertaker or show up on Raw and hammer Cena. Once the Rock opened the show, I knew that he wouldn't be back to do a segment with Cena. Here Comes the Pain!

Even though I knew it was coming, I still popped when he came out.

Hambone
04-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I knew he was coming back, but I wasn't sure how it would go down...I figured maybe he would either interfere in the Rock/Cena WrestleMania match, call out the Undertaker or show up on Raw and hammer Cena. Once the Rock opened the show, I knew that he wouldn't be back to do a segment with Cena. Here Comes the Pain!

Even though I knew it was coming, I still popped when he came out.

So what's your wrestling website of choice? I don't watch anymore (don't have anything but basic cable) but still read up on it. I used to go with lordsofpain.net, but now am more of a wrestling-edge.com guy.

aces1180
04-03-2012, 06:39 PM
So what's your wrestling website of choice? I don't watch anymore (don't have anything but basic cable) but still read up on it. I used to go with lordsofpain.net, but now am more of a wrestling-edge.com guy.

Wrestlinginc.com is where I go for news and rumors...OOwrestling.com has some decent commentary and board to lurk.

silkamilkamonico
04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Taylor sucks.

Will probably go down as one of the better PG's in the history of the program at Kansas.

silkamilkamonico
04-03-2012, 08:34 PM
Wrestling?

People still watch that?

http://www.newyorkparkingticket.com/Portals/41340/images/NYPT-C%27mon%20Man-button.jpg

BlueBisonRock
04-03-2012, 08:44 PM
Basketball?

People still watch that?

http://www.newyorkparkingticket.com/Portals/41340/images/NYPT-C%27mon%20Man-button.jpg

tencharacters