PDA

View Full Version : Montana State to lose 3 football scholarships

OtterTailLakeBison
02-23-2007, 02:36 PM
Interesting Article on our Bobcat "friends" losing three (3) football scholarships because of academic ideficiencies. It seems the athletic administrations' business ethics are not the only thing lacking at Montana St.

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=2007022303565615
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/02/22/sports/local/45-penalty.txt

The report said the football program must "be better integrated into the athletics department and university as a whole," must involve more school personnel in recruiting and limit its reliance on transfers. The scholarship penalty, which means the football program will operate with the equivalent of 60 instead of the 63 grants, was assessed because the Bobcats lagged behind the required standard in the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate, which monitors graduation success.

This is the second time in several years that coach Mike Kramer's program lost scholarships because of the APR deficiency.

ACES1180
02-23-2007, 03:33 PM
Serves them right for buying NDSU out... ;)

CaBisonFan
02-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Interesting Article on our Bobcat "friends" losing three (3) football scholarships because of academic ideficiencies. It seems the athletic administrations' business ethics are not the only thing lacking at Montana St.

http://anygivensaturday.com/ralphblog/article.php?story=2007022303565615
http://www.billingsgazette.net/articles/2007/02/22/sports/local/45-penalty.txt

The report said the football program must "be better integrated into the athletics department and university as a whole," must involve more school personnel in recruiting and limit its reliance on transfers. The scholarship penalty, which means the football program will operate with the equivalent of 60 instead of the 63 grants, was assessed because the Bobcats lagged behind the required standard in the NCAA's Academic Progress Rate, which monitors graduation success.

This is the second time in several years that coach Mike Kramer's program lost scholarships because of the APR deficiency.

Apparently they lack for ethics. Reminds me of the Entzion era in Bison country. Their word is worth nothing. They're obcessed with being like Montana...at any cost. Cancelling out on the Bison was low-class.

heymch86
02-23-2007, 06:28 PM
I hate those guys so much for pulling the crap they did on us. Ugh! I wish they were coming to the Dome to get the ass-kicking they deserve

NDSU1980
02-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I hate those guys so much for pulling the crap they did on us. Ugh! I wish they were coming to the Dome to get the ass-kicking they deserve

Thanks for saying that. Now I don't have to. ;D ;D ;D

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2007, 11:28 PM
Coach Kramer has done an excellent job turning the program around from back to back winless seasons to where they are now. But he doesn't have any control over his athletes behaviors off the field, and the fact that any black person you see in Bozeman is likely on an athletic scholarship doesn't help their situation within the community, and ignornat people that don't like 'different'.

Thank the lord for the class act coach Bohl and staff, who has either done a great job of implementing a respectable level to the kids where they feel responsible to living up to it, or just recruiting good charactered players in general.

TonkaBison
02-23-2007, 11:44 PM

Actually, according to Gene Taylor, they haven't totally cancelled on us but in fact are interested in a multi-year deal. The only thing keeping that from being finalized is the Gateway decision and what dates we might have open. They paid us a $10,000 nuisance fee a cancellation fee would have been much more. Now what Montana did to SDSU was a real screw job after SDSU played at Montana for two years! >:(

TXBison_Fan
02-24-2007, 12:04 AM
Too bad about the Cats. *When you take chances on guys and you want to be like the Griz so bad it almost kills you this is what happens some times. *If this happens multiple times in your tenure you should lose more than 3 scholarships. *Shows what people think is really important these days. *

imabison
02-25-2007, 10:05 PM

Actually, according to Gene Taylor, they haven't totally cancelled on us but in fact are interested in a multi-year deal. The only thing keeping that from being finalized is the Gateway decision and what dates we might have open. They paid us a $10,000 nuisance fee a cancellation fee would have been much more. Now what Montana did to SDSU was a real screw job after SDSU played at Montana for two years! >:(
Multi year deal, 3 in Fargo, and then we can buy out the last year :) :)