PDA

View Full Version : Conference USA & Mountain West to merge

RedRiver
02-13-2012, 09:20 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-reports-conference-usa-mountain-west-will-merge-20120213,0,1401026.story

Bison03
02-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Over 5700 miles from East Carolina to Hawaii. Makes und's Bis Sky road trips seem like nothing.

onbison09
02-13-2012, 10:26 PM
Come on North Texas! Let's all bow our heads and pray

zooropa
02-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Par for the course. Insanity leads to more insanity.

The budding Hawaii/East Carolina rivalry, however, cannot and will not eclipse the nonsense of San Diego State's simultaneous memberships in the Big East and Big West conferences.

That one will take some doing to trump.

79FCourt
02-14-2012, 12:15 AM
By my count this leaves the WAC with 5 schools. I wonder what implications this may have for the BSC.

JSUBison
02-14-2012, 12:25 AM
By my count this leaves the WAC with 5 schools. I wonder what implications this may have for the BSC.

Texas State left the Southland to join the WAC (lol), and UT-San Antonio just started their football program and they are also joining the WAC. So they will have 7 next year.

TX ST
UTSA
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
San Jose State
Utah State

Big Sky>WAC

JMB
02-14-2012, 01:28 AM
Par for the course. Insanity leads to more insanity.

The budding Hawaii/East Carolina rivalry, however, cannot and will not eclipse the nonsense of San Diego State's simultaneous memberships in the Big East and Big West conferences.

That one will take some doing to trump.

The NCAA is a private organization made up of members that police themselves. Is it any wonder they come up with some of the stupid rules they do?

zooropa
02-15-2012, 04:07 PM
The NCAA is a private organization made up of members that police themselves. Is it any wonder they come up with some of the stupid rules they do?

Arguably this is happening because the NCAA exerts almost no control over FBS football, and absolutely no control over the BCS bowls.

NorthernBison
02-15-2012, 08:55 PM
Arguably this is happening because the NCAA exerts almost no control over FBS football, and absolutely no control over the BCS bowls.

Not really their fault. An anti-trust lawsuit that they lost handed the defacto power to the big football schools. That created the BCS and it survives because of the Bowl money.

The NCAA could add a playoff bracket to FBS football if they wanted. The result would most likely be the major conferences respectfully declining to participate and continuing to hold their Bowls while the "NCAA Tournament" went on with all the small conference teams.

The result would be a battle to see which system kept the public attention and the advertising dollars. In basketball, the NCAA Tournament relegated the NIT to "second class" status. That would be unlikely to happen in football unless the big schools broke ranks.

JMB
02-15-2012, 10:23 PM

What about "The NCAA is a private organization made up of members who's mission is to try to save themselves from their own insanity... It is at best moderately successful."

North Side
02-16-2012, 03:17 AM
Texas State left the Southland to join the WAC (lol), and UT-San Antonio just started their football program and they are also joining the WAC. So they will have 7 next year.

TX ST
UTSA
Idaho
Louisiana Tech
New Mexico State
San Jose State
Utah State

Big Sky>WAC
How can the WAC even be an FBS conference. I am pretty sure the Valley is better. NDSU would win the WAC easy next year. However, I would never want us in the WAC playing in some horrible no name bowl game does not trump the FCS playoff run.

zooropa
02-16-2012, 05:48 AM
Not really their fault. An anti-trust lawsuit that they lost handed the defacto power to the big football schools.
True.

The NCAA had no business trying to grab for all that juicy juicy TV money---and I can't even imagine what the NCAA would be like if they owned the exclusive rights to the college football and college basketball championships. That'd be good for what? A couple billion a year *just* for the championships?

On the other hand, it would stop this insane conference-hopping-for-TV-bowl-money nonsense.

zooropa
02-16-2012, 05:49 AM
What about "The NCAA is a private organization made up of members who's mission is to try to save themselves from their own insanity... It is at best moderately successful."
Sums it up pretty well.

Also can't figure out how universities end up acting like they're ran by high school drop outs.

Twentysix
02-16-2012, 08:48 AM
How long until they pickup the phone and start offering schools across the pond?

CUk/SA's newest member http://www.ouafc.com/

They will more or less just mix the rules 60/40.

jimmyptubas
02-17-2012, 07:44 PM
How long until they pickup the phone and start offering schools across the pond?

CUk/SA's newest member http://www.ouafc.com/

They will more or less just mix the rules 60/40.

Now that is some soccer I might actually watch!

BisBison
02-20-2012, 01:01 AM
I saw a map of the new CUSA/MWC members on ESPN. It pretty much covered the whole United States. They should just rename the conference the jetlag league.

Twentysix
02-20-2012, 05:42 AM
I saw a map of the new CUSA/MWC members on ESPN. It pretty much covered the whole United States. They should just rename the conference the jetlag league.

(Conference USA + Mountain West Conference) - everything good about both leagues = Super America Conference (SAC)

I smell a corporate sponsorship!

Welcome to the http://cottonwoodconstructioninc.com/images/SuperAmerica1.jpg bowl!