PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Announces Change in Football Athletic Aid Policy

NDSUstudent
02-13-2012, 07:56 PM
Center Valley, Pa. - The Patriot League Council of Presidents endorsed a policy that will allow athletic merit aid for the sport of football, beginning with the class entering school in the fall of 2013, it was announced Monday.
"The Council of Presidents' decision to adjust the current need-based model of financial aid in football, which has been in effect since the founding of the League in 1986, comes after extensive study and discussion of alternative models and a thorough evaluation of the benefits and potential costs associated with athletic merit aid in the sport. The decision reflects the Presidents' shared vision and shared commitment to the stability and long-term positioning of the League and to its strength, competitiveness and quality," said Daniel H. Weiss, Chair of the Patriot League Council of Presidents and President of Lafayette College.

"This approach for awarding athletic merit aid to football student-athletes will allow our member schools flexibility to determine the most effective use of their financial aid resources to attract highly-qualified Division I scholar-athletes in a very competitive academic and athletic marketplace," said Patriot League Executive Director Carolyn Schlie Femovich. "The introduction of this financial aid model for football will strengthen the Patriot League's ability to compete for outstanding student-athletes while continuing to uphold the high academic standards of the League and its member institutions."

Starting with the class entering school in the fall of 2013, each school will be permitted to award no more than the equivalent of 15 athletic financial aid awards each year to incoming football student-athletes, including transfer student-athletes. The total amount of all countable financial aid awarded to all football student-athletes may not exceed 60 equivalencies in any year.

http://www.patriotleague.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/021312aac.html

CAS4127
02-13-2012, 07:59 PM
The decision reflects the Presidents' shared vision and shared commitment to the stability and long-term positioning of the League and to its strength, competitiveness and quality," said Daniel H. Weiss, Chair of the Patriot League Council of Presidents and President of Lafayette College.

Read-->"We and other members of our conference are sick of gettng our asses kicked by North Dakota State, and there is no way we can compete unless we get some athletic scholarship money flowing".

NDSUstudent
02-13-2012, 08:16 PM
The Patriot League will add 15 scholarships per year until they reach a max of 60. This should make them much more competitive in recruiting vs the CAA.

Bison"FANatic"
02-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Ok why stop at 60 when fully funded is 63 in DIAA?

tjbison
02-13-2012, 09:28 PM
This is good for FCS

NorthernBison
02-13-2012, 09:30 PM
The Patriot League will add 15 scholarships per year until they reach a max of 60. This should make them much more competitive in recruiting vs the CAA.

I didn't interpret it that way. They are adding 15 "Athletic merit" scholarships. Right now, they have scholarships based on NEED. Both types count toward the 63 max allowed in FCS.

I read that to mean that the coaches get to decide 15 scholarships. Period.

Then I went and read the whole thing and I'm not sure. You are probably right. It will eliminate the needs based scholarships.

Bison"FANatic"
02-13-2012, 09:33 PM
I didn't interpret it that way. They are adding 15 "Athletic merit" scholarships. Right now, they have scholarships based on NEED. Both types count toward the 63 max allowed in FCS.

Then I went and read the whole thing and I'm not sure. You are probably right. It will eliminate the needs based scholarships.

Ahhh now I see

"The total amount of all countable financial aid awarded to all football student-athletes may not exceed 60 equivalencies in any year"

tjbison
02-13-2012, 09:45 PM
This is good for FCS

ok maybe Its not that good dipshit

:biggrin:

NDSUstudent
02-13-2012, 11:42 PM

Yeah that was my intial thought as well but then I read it all and got some reaction from PL fans and they are definitely moving to 60. Sounds like Georgetown is looking at leaving the conference now, they had been trying to stop this for years.

JSUBison
02-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Yeah that was my intial thought as well but then I read it all and got some reaction from PL fans and they are definitely moving to 60. Sounds like Georgetown is looking at leaving the conference now, they had been trying to stop this for years.

Georgetown had a pretty good season last year, hope they don't do something stupid and drop football. Hope they stay put, but if they have to leave I guess they can go Pioneer. But Pioneer has two new teams coming in, Mercer and Stetson.