PDA

View Full Version : I-A Transfers

ndsubison
02-05-2007, 09:07 PM
I am of the opinion that, once NDSU is playoff eligible and makes some noise in the playoffs, that we will start to see more I-A transfers coming in. I know that it's not always good or smart to be a "transfer U" or to rely on guys like that, especially given the track records of guys like Jake Josetti & Tony Stauss. However, once NDSU is on the national scene in FCS play then I certainly think that we will see more dropdowns from Big-10/Big-12/MAC type schools. It's something I've been giving considerable consideration to lately and I am curious as to what those of you out there might think about this.

GO BISON!!!

ad_guy
02-05-2007, 09:28 PM
With all due respect, Stauss did a fantastic job for the Bison.

One bad game (which happened to be nationally televised) did him in. Walker proved to be the better guy. But to disrepect a great guy who until recently held a few records for the Bison, is non-sense.

ndsubison
02-05-2007, 09:51 PM

One bad game (which happened to be nationally televised) did him in. Walker proved to be the better guy. But to disrepect a great guy who until recently held a few records for the Bison, is non-sense.

With all due respect , it just seemed to me like Stauss got all wild-eyed and panicked in big games. *I am aware that he had some good games, but most memories of him that really stick out to me are where he choked. *The UNC game on FSN was obviously the big one but the Sioux game in the FFD still lingers. *Maybe it was the classic case of trying too hard. I don't know. I'm not trying to disrespect Tony, it's just that maybe I have a higher expectation of a I-A transfer than you do. :-/ Anyway, I don't want this post to get off-topic, so..............

Bisonguy
02-05-2007, 10:13 PM
I hope NDSU doesn't fall into the rut of needing FBS transfers to compete.

silkamilkamonico
02-05-2007, 10:43 PM
Stauss was a good Qb for the Bison. Unfortunately for him, his backup was Steve Walker, who just so happened to be someone special.

In the wake of the Steve Walker era, i won't forget what Tony Stauss brought to NDSU on the field, and off as well.

westsidebison
02-05-2007, 10:44 PM

With all due respect , it just seemed to me like Stauss got all wild-eyed and panicked in big games. *I am aware that he had some good games, but most memories of him that really stick out to me are where he choked. *The UNC game on FSN was obviously the big one but the Sioux game in the FFD still lingers. *Maybe it was the classic case of trying too hard. *I don't know. *I'm not trying to disrespect Tony, it's just that maybe I have a higher expectation of a I-A transfer than you do. :-/ *Anyway, I don't want this post to get off-topic, so..............

I don't know? I seem to remember a game out in Montana that turned out pretty good!! Tony had some bad games, but all in all he was really a pretty good QB. Was he as talented as Walker is? NO, but he was a big improvement over Gorder and the entire 2-8 deal!! I've seen Tony around town a-lot since 2004, and I can testify that he is one hell of a nice guy that carries himself with character, and class!!!!

BisBison
02-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Stauss was a *good Qb for the Bison. *Unfortunately for him, his backup was Steve Walker, who just so happened to be someone special.

In the wake of the Steve Walker era, i won't forget what Tony Stauss brought to NDSU on the field, and off as well.

I'm with you silk, some people have such short memories. Tony was, and is a Bison, he showed nothing but class even when he got pulled in favor of Walker. I've got a lot of respect for him and for what he did for our program.

2006gwfcchamps
02-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Tony was never in trouble off the field, either, IIRC.

Also, I don't believe he ever played UND in the FD. The last time NDSU played UND it was in the AC in 03. In 04 we didn't play and that was the year that he had bad games against UNC, Cal Poly, and SDSU.

56BISON73
02-06-2007, 01:55 AM
I hope NDSU doesn't fall into the rut of needing FBS transfers to compete.

I think the operative word is "needing".

In this day and age high caliber players change teams for many reasons. Change is coaches, change in coaching philosophy, Lack of opportunity etc. There are alot of big time players riding the bench that dont see any game time. That may sound strange but in many programs there isnt much differnce in talent between 1st and 2cnd string except for playing experience.

There isnt any reason not to take advantage of an opportunty when a good player becomes available.
PL

lakesbison
02-06-2007, 01:58 AM
I for one VERY MUCH ANTICIPATED 1-A transfers when we made this jump!!

and Im disappointed in that so far.

obviously Bohl & staff wouldnt recruit another teams player, nor go out of their way on disgruntled kids, drop outs (Walker Ashley, etc..)

BUT.. BUT BUT... I really was hoping to see some Big Ten/Mac/Wac, etc kids come to NDSU if they were soph's and not getting playing time, school, family, etc etc

56BISON73
02-06-2007, 03:06 AM
NDSU hasnt been out of Div-2 long enough to REALLY get on the transfer radar. When they become play off eligible and become better lknown I think there will more interest.
Heck the only reason I knew about NDSU when I was in high school was because they recruited me.

But the college players mind set has changed IMO. After getting to their chosen school they see what the competition is and the possibility of playing or riding the pine and where they fit in the scheme of things. Some quit. Some dont develope as hoped and resign themselves to the fact that they will be on the scout squad and are fine with that because their eduaction is being payed for. Then there are those that dont want to wait untill their senior year and may be still not play. And you have those that just love to play football and will run through a brick wall everyday in practice even if they never play a minute on Saturday.
Then you have the playes that realizes the school he picked when he was a junior or senior in high school just wasnt the best fit for them for what ever reason.

There are alot of high caliber players out there looking for a place to play and get recognition. In time more will come to NDSU. PL

CaBisonFan
02-06-2007, 07:22 AM
I am of the opinion that, once NDSU is playoff eligible and makes some noise in the playoffs, that we will start to see more I-A transfers coming in. *I know that it's not always good or smart to be a "transfer U" or to rely on guys like that, especially given the track records of guys like Jake Josetti & Tony Stauss. *However, once NDSU is on the national scene in FCS play then I certainly think that we will see more dropdowns from Big-10/Big-12/MAC type schools. *It's something I've been giving considerable consideration to lately and I am curious as to what those of you out there might think about this.

GO BISON!!!

I agree with you. I never saw Stauss play in person, so no comment. But your basic premise is absolutely correct. As you wrote, it's probably better not to have a lot of those guys in camp...but getting a bump from a few really talented guys at key positions can help. I see one negative. If someone is a full-time recruit from the get-go and someone just drops in to take your spot...there could be chemistry problems. But a major talent with a good attitude would probably erase that problem most of the time. I'd guess that those drop-downs would want a playoff-eligible experience immediately.

You hit the target. Bullseye

tcbison
02-06-2007, 12:53 PM
One thing I think is important is to have make offers to the kids that we might not get. For instance, in Sunday's Star Tribune it was talking about next year's class and it had Sam Maresh. His offers included Iowa, Minnesota, and North Dakota State. Chances are he will play with either Iowa or Minnesota but if something goes wrong with either of those schools he can look to tranfer and NDSU would probably be one of the first places he would look to transfer to.

JacksFan06
02-06-2007, 01:55 PM
Will NDSU have any FBS transfers on their rosters this year? I know SDSU has picked up a DE from Purdue, a S from Arizona State, and it's rumored that we are getting a QB who fell out of favor at Illinois when Zook came in.

WYOBISONMAN
02-06-2007, 02:02 PM
I saw Stauss in person and he was a GOOD QB.........it just so happened that his back up, Walker, was a GREAT QB.

Scooter
02-06-2007, 02:04 PM
I saw Stauss in person and he was a GOOD QB.........it just so happened that his back up, Walker, was a GREAT QB.

I agree.

HerdBot
02-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Unless we get lucky, nobody is going to transfer to non playoff eligible team. The good news is that changes next year!

BisonNeil
02-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Unless we get lucky, nobody is going to transfer to non playoff eligible team. The good news is that changes next year!

If the Jackrabbit fan is correct on the transfers SDSU is getting this year, then what this poster says makes no sense whatsoever.

DenverBison05
02-06-2007, 03:35 PM

If the Jackrabbit fan is correct on the transfers SDSU is getting this year, then what this poster says makes no sense whatsoever.

I believe thats where the 'unless we get lucky' part of the quote comes from :P

SDbison
02-06-2007, 04:51 PM
I thought that before the recruiting season began Bohl and company made several comments about how they were going after some highly talented athletes this year. Don't remember the exact words, but it seems like NDSU was going to try to get some of the guys Uof M wanted, D1 transfers and the like, but ended up with a majority of the recruits that are more like diamonds in the rough. Seems like a big gamble. Great if it pays off. Terrible if not. I guess we will find out in the next few years.

NDSUstudent
02-06-2007, 05:20 PM
I thought that before the recruiting season began Bohl and company made several comments about how they were going after some highly talented athletes this year. *Don't remember the exact words, but it seems like NDSU was going to try to get some of the guys Uof M wanted, D1 transfers and the like, but ended up with a majority of the recruits that are more like diamonds in the rough. *Seems like a big gamble. *Great if it pays off. *Terrible if not. *I guess we will find out in the next few years. * *

NDSU is never going to get a player that Minnesota wants, all Minnesota has to do is walk into said recruit's living room say we are in the Big Ten and offer them a full ride and it is pretty much game set match. That said NDSU is going up against middle and lower tier FBS schools and having success and will continue to do so. We took one player away from a decent NIU program and were close to taking another but the player ended up going to K-State. I also think the players we are getting would be diamonds in the rough for a FBS school but for a FCS program like we are they are talented athletes with some great potential. Recruiting is always a gamble but from what I have seen from Bohl and his staff is that they know how to find talented kids who fit their system or can be molded over time into fitting into their system. Bohl also said recruiting is going better then expected and with expectations he had going in that is probably saying a lot.

SDbison
02-06-2007, 05:29 PM
I thought that before the recruiting season began Bohl and company made several comments about how they were going after some highly talented athletes this year. *Don't remember the exact words, but it seems like NDSU was going to try to get some of the guys Uof M wanted, D1 transfers and the like, but ended up with a majority of the recruits that are more like diamonds in the rough. *Seems like a big gamble. *Great if it pays off. *Terrible if not. *I guess we will find out in the next few years. * *

NDSU is never going to get a player that Minnesota wants, all Minnesota has to do is walk into said recruit's living room say we are in the Big Ten and offer them a full ride and it is pretty much game set match. That said NDSU is going up against middle and lower tier FBS schools and having success and will continue to do so. We took one player away from a decent NIU program and were close to taking another but the player ended up going to K-State. I also think the players we are getting would be diamonds in the rough for a FBS school but for a FCS program like we are they are talented athletes with some great potential. Recruiting is always a gamble but from what I have seen from Bohl and his staff is that they know how to find talented kids who fit their system or can be molded over time into fitting into their system. Bohl also said recruiting is going better then expected and with expectations he had going in that is probably saying a lot.
I am not trying to be argumentative here, but I only remember seeing 8 or 10 recruits that had offers from other Top 50 FCS schools and only recall one or two that had offers from mid to lower tier FBS schools.

NDSUstudent
02-06-2007, 05:56 PM
I am not trying to be argumentative here, but I only remember seeing 8 or 10 recruits that had offers from other Top 50 FCS schools and only recall one or two that had offers from mid to lower tier FBS schools. *

Two had offers from FBS schools(we lost at least two as well to FBS teams) and I think your number are off on I-AA offers. I am only positive on 3 or 4 not having I-AA offers and one was Austin Richard who would be getting a ton of them if he didn't live in Fargo ND.

mauerfan21
02-07-2007, 03:06 AM
Well I think that NDSUstudent is right on. If you had the chance to play agaisnt schools like Ohio State and Michigan on National TV, Or play against Southern Utah on regional radio, it would probably be a no-brainer that you would pick Minnesota. I think the biggest sign of things to come is if Bohl can persuade Sam Maresh to come to NDSU. Because Brewster is recruiting the '08 class already and told Maresh that the U is very interested.

lakerbison
02-22-2007, 08:19 PM
no ia transfers yet?

TheDoctor
02-22-2007, 08:23 PM
no ia transfers yet?

OH NO! He's spawning like Gremlins!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tatanka
02-22-2007, 08:27 PM
who got him wet and fed him after midnight?

mikelsch
02-22-2007, 08:37 PM
no ia transfers yet?

FBS transfers are like JUCOs...unpredictable
Use caution when selecting --> just like any player, I guess

TheDoctor
02-22-2007, 08:45 PM
who got him wet and fed him after midnight?

It certainly wasn't me and I made sure to hold on tight to my water glass as well. ;D

silkamilkamonico
02-22-2007, 10:33 PM
no ia transfers yet?

You probably didn't know this, but NDSU isn't playoff eligible yet. We still have 1 more season going through our transition. Anyone that knows this, and more importnantly understands it, is probably aware that D1A transfers are not going to go to a school that isn't playoff eligible.

Educate yourself. you know da deal.

TheDoctor
02-22-2007, 10:40 PM
no ia transfers yet?

You probably didn't know this, but NDSU isn't playoff eligible yet. *We still have 1 more season going through our transition. *Anyone that knows this, and more importnantly understands it, is probably aware that D1A transfers are not going to go to a school that isn't playoff eligible.

Educate yourself. *you know da deal.

Silkamonico- nice take. You remind me a lot of a guy I went to high school with. ;)

TonkaBison
02-22-2007, 11:19 PM
Well I think that NDSUstudent is right on. If you had the chance to play agaisnt schools like Ohio State and Michigan on National TV, Or play against Southern Utah on regional radio, it would probably be a no-brainer that you would pick Minnesota. I think the biggest sign of things to come is if Bohl can persuade Sam Maresh to come to NDSU. Because Brewster is recruiting the '08 class already and told Maresh that the U is very interested.

Play against them or get pounded by them? *I am personally of the opinion that with NDSU's transition Minnesota will slip back to where they were in the 80's. *It's not like they have all that far to go their fans were already referring to them as a "hockey" school this year in the Trib. *

Bryan
02-23-2007, 12:05 AM
From Star Tribune
• Champlin Park junior Sam Maresh, one of the Class 3A heavyweight favorites, has received football scholarship offers from five Big Ten schools. The Gophers and Iowa were the first to make offers to Maresh, an All-Metro linebacker. Michigan, Michigan State and Wisconsin are the latest to do so.

Also, NDSU is after 6'3, 200 Bloomington Kennedy WR Hakeem Bourne McFarland: from Rivals article
"Right now I am hearing from Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota, and North Dakota State." Bourne-McFarlane said. Right now they are all just talking, no fire yet. No one has offered, but I think Minnesota could be getting close." "I will be going to junior day at Minnesota this weekend. I am also going to go to camps a Minnesota, Wisconsin, and NDSU for sure.

silkamilkamonico
02-23-2007, 11:18 PM
no ia transfers yet?

You probably didn't know this, but NDSU isn't playoff eligible yet. *We still have 1 more season going through our transition. *Anyone that knows this, and more importnantly understands it, is probably aware that D1A transfers are not going to go to a school that isn't playoff eligible.

Silkamonico- nice take. You remind me a lot of a guy I went to high school with. *;)

I wondered, but I was never sure. The Blue Devil references , and the connections at NDSU kept me curious. We need more posters from that circle. They add nothing but great opinions and positivity to the board!

And beat the dam Tar Heels already! Their arrogance is killing me... :-/

NDSUFREAK10
02-23-2007, 11:23 PM
lakerbison is here now

TheDoctor
02-26-2007, 12:41 AM
no ia transfers yet?

Silkamonico- nice take. You remind me a lot of a guy I went to high school with. *;)

I wondered, but I was never sure. *The Blue Devil references , and the connections at NDSU kept me curious. *We need more posters from that circle. *They add nothing but great opinions and positivity to the board!

And beat the dam Tar Heels already! *Their arrogance is killing me... * *:-/

I hope the Blue Devils can get it done next Sunday. *It would be a nice way to go into the ACC tourney. *When you get done sheep hearding ;) and come back to visit, give us a call and we'll have [smiley=beer.gif] or 2. *

silkamilkamonico
02-28-2007, 10:30 PM
*It would be a nice way to go into the ACC tourney. *When you get done sheep hearding ;) and come back to visit, give us a call and we'll have [smiley=beer.gif] or 2. *

;D I got a kick out of that. I can go 5 miles out of town and see it for myself.