PDA

View Full Version : Chris Klieman is the new Defensive Coordinator

Kermit
02-12-2012, 09:31 PM
per a tweet from Kolpack. Congrats Coach Klieman!

NDSU92
02-12-2012, 09:40 PM
I'll put all my faith in Klieman, doubt we see any huge changes...good luck to our new DC!

ndsubison1
02-12-2012, 09:40 PM
I had a feeling he would get it after I saw hazelton was leaving

KSBisonFan
02-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Congrats to coach Klieman! Our defense will be fine going forward and I don't expect us to miss a beat.

Kermit
02-12-2012, 09:50 PM
For those who need a link:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/350584/

KTF
02-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Congratulations to Coach Klieman!

Tatanka
02-12-2012, 09:55 PM
Congrats Coach K. Bison are in good hands.

herdmember
02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Congrats! Will be interesting to see who the new dbacks coach will be.

Kermit
02-12-2012, 09:57 PM

My guess is that Coach Klieman will continue to coach the d-backs and we will be looking for a linebacker coach.

DjKyRo
02-12-2012, 09:58 PM
How long until we hear from the UNI fans that NDSU is scraping their barrel to get coaches (and having more success with them)? Congrats Coach K!

Civil06
02-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Are any of the current UNI coaches able to step right in?

tjbison
02-12-2012, 10:40 PM

This would be sweet......and could very well happen. After all they could win a championship here

Twentysix
02-12-2012, 11:45 PM

Haha, UNI is our grocery store when it comes to coaches. Maybe farley would like a paybump to coach LB's.

BadlandsBison
02-13-2012, 12:15 AM
Haha, UNI is our grocery store when it comes to coaches. Maybe farley would like a paybump to coach LB's.

I would let him wash jock straps, that's about it

southcliffbison
02-13-2012, 12:15 AM

As we speak, sphincters are tighting in Panther land.

Tatanka
02-13-2012, 12:46 AM
I would let him wash jock straps, that's about it

He would have to work his way up to this important of a job.

westnodak93bison
02-13-2012, 01:54 AM
Congrats coach Klieman! I had a feeling he would be the guy.

HerdBot
02-13-2012, 03:24 AM
You know we are deep when our D Coordinator was UNIs D Coordinator for 7 years. Klieman was probably a bit over qualified and he probably played a giant role in our game plan. Thats the sign of a great program.

HandoEX
02-13-2012, 03:38 AM
Great hire and well deserved. I feel 1000x better now that I know our D is in good hands.

bisonmike2
02-13-2012, 03:33 PM
It's like Bohl could see the future so he preemptively hired Klieman last year to be Hazelton's replacement. Bohl if your reading this I could really use next weeks lotto numbers, PM me, thanks in advance.

Bison03
02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Klieman's experience will make this transition to a new D coordinator pretty easy. Obviously anytime a coach leave, players need to adjust to a new "head guy" running the show. I don't think you will see much change in what we do. We will still be a dominating defense ranking tops in the country. Best of luck Coach K.

Gully
02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
It's called succession planning. Nothing too surprising here, from my perspective. It would be alarming if the cupboard was bare when a talented assistant moves on.

X-Factor
02-14-2012, 11:23 PM
It's like Bohl could see the future so he preemptively hired Klieman last year to be Hazelton's replacement. Bohl if your reading this I could really use next weeks lotto numbers, PM me, thanks in advance.

dont bother, lakes already has the text.

DjKyRo
02-14-2012, 11:58 PM
Coach Klieman was just on with Scotty on KFGO, sounded like they're not changing anything schematically and he's pretty optimistic about the guys they have. Shouldn't lose a beat from Hazelton leaving, very cool to hear.

stevdock
02-15-2012, 12:24 AM
I think Klieman is the right guy for the job considering he is in house and I do believe in promoting from within if worthy. But my question is how do we know he is the right guy?? He did have injury issues in the secondary last season and definitely did a good job coaching up the backups. Also I know he was the co-D-coordinator at UNI but from what I read it seemed like it was more or less title only as Farley was in charge of the defense. So I'm curious what do you guys know about him that makes him the right guy??

DjKyRo
02-15-2012, 12:32 AM
I think Klieman is the right guy for the job considering he is in house and I do believe in promoting from within if worthy. But my question is how do we know he is the right guy?? He did have injury issues in the secondary last season and definitely did a good job coaching up the backups. Also I know he was the co-D-coordinator at UNI but from what I read it seemed like it was more or less title only as Farley was in charge of the defense. So I'm curious what do you guys know about him that makes him the right guy??

Regardless of his title he spent time gameplanning as defensive coordinator at UNI and helped build several very good defenses in the mid-2000's when UNI was pushing in the playoffs consistently. Per gobison.com:

As defensive coordinator in 2009, Klieman led a UNI defensive unit that finished fourth in the nation in scoring defense (13.2 ppg). The Panthers also led the Missouri Valley Football Conference in rushing defense, passing defense and total defense, giving up a mere 267.2 yards per game. UNI held six of its 11 opponents to seven points or less during the 2009 season.

Under Klieman’s direction as co-defensive coordinator in 2008, the Panthers ranked No. 4 in the nation in turnover margin and No. 9 in the nation in scoring defense. The Panthers forced 40 turnovers in 2008, which included 24 interceptions and 16 fumble recoveries.

That doesn't just happen, as we saw with the impact Hazelton had in his two-year stint as DC. Also had very successful defenses at his previous gigs.

CAS4127
02-15-2012, 12:46 AM
Keep in mind Coach K shut us down on a couple of occasions!!

daddy daycare
02-15-2012, 01:15 AM
Maybe I missed it...can someone remind me why he left UNI and ended up at NDSU? or how? Or whatever the circumstances were? Sorry I don't recall and didn't see it in this thread.

roadwarrior
02-15-2012, 02:14 AM
Maybe I missed it...can someone remind me why he left UNI and ended up at NDSU? or how? Or whatever the circumstances were? Sorry I don't recall and didn't see it in this thread.

He wanted to know what it felt like to win a national championship.

Really though, it probably came down to money.

westnodak93bison
02-15-2012, 02:34 AM

in a nutshell....Farley is a jerk and UNI doesn't pay very well....Farley hogs a huge chunk of the coaching money at UNI

KTF
02-15-2012, 02:39 AM
I thought it was more that UNI's funding was/is in question and there was talk of cutting UNI's football program.

Bisondan
02-15-2012, 02:45 AM
Coach Klieman was just on with Scotty on KFGO, sounded like they're not changing anything schematically and he's pretty optimistic about the guys they have. Shouldn't lose a beat from Hazelton leaving, very cool to hear.

That's great news!

I was a little concerned Klieman would try to implement an entirely new defensive system so he could put his own mark on the program. I am relieved to hear he said he was optimistic about the guys on the roster while being interviewed on the radio.

Get it done Coach Klieman!

Go Bison!

56BISON73
02-15-2012, 02:52 AM
I thought it was more that UNI's funding was/is in question and there was talk of cutting UNI's football program.

Most of the talk about the FB team being cut came from this site. I never saw anything in the print media that mentioned cutting FB. Basically it said there were funding issues within the athletic dept.

I think he made the move because he REALLY wasnt the DC. Farley called all of the shots.

Bison"FANatic"
02-15-2012, 03:36 AM
I think he made the move because he REALLY wasnt the DC. Farley called all of the shots.

In the paper he said one of the things he really liked about Scottie was that all the D coaches had input into the game plan and were consulted a lot. Reading between the lines may lead one to think that wasn't always the case at other places he had worked.

Bison"FANatic"
02-15-2012, 03:38 AM
Oh and I am guessing he just about doubled his salary in less than two years.

EndZoneQB
02-15-2012, 04:06 AM
in a nutshell....Farley is a jerk and UNI doesn't pay very well....Farley hogs a huge chunk of the coaching money at UNI

Which is insane...what has he won for them? I mean don't get me wrong, winning conference titles is very important, but never winning the big game? Especially at a program that considers itself at the top of the FCS, there's really no excuse. Bohl took a transition team and won the title in our 4th year of eligibility...I'm sorry Farley wouldn't fly in Fargo.

daddy daycare
02-15-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks guys....I knew Farley was a dbag but didn't know how coach ended up here for certain.

BadlandsBison
02-15-2012, 01:33 PM
Which is insane...what has he won for them? I mean don't get me wrong, winning conference titles is very important, but never winning the big game? Especially at a program that considers itself at the top of the FCS, there's really no excuse. Bohl took a transition team and won the title in our 4th year of eligibility...I'm sorry Farley wouldn't fly in Fargo.

He would make a decent tackling dummy for a day for two. After that, meh

Notorious
02-15-2012, 01:41 PM
He would make a decent tackling dummy for a day for two. After that, meh

It ain't KHS out there Badlands?? "Farley and Me"*.....and you, would last a total of one hit.

*Spoiler alert....he dies in the end.

BadlandsBison
02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
It ain't KHS out there Badlands?? "Farley and Me"*.....and you, would last a total of one hit.

*Spoiler alert....he dies in the end.

My crazy speed would protect me. And Farley would make an uglier dog than he does a human, almost sad.

BisonNeil
02-15-2012, 03:25 PM
I seem to remember something in the Forum about Kleiman getting a raise of about 18k despite taking a demotion, one that lasted less than a year. Not having to work for Farley is just gravy.

westnodak93bison
02-16-2012, 02:58 AM
http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/59150/

Interview with Dom. Mentioned Jordan Champion as a RFR to watch.

Also, cant remember which interview/article it was said in but he said something about Scottie not being egotistical. I'll speculate that could have been a shot toward Farley.