PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs Bison Football Education

CrimsonTider1
02-08-2012, 06:52 PM
As is obvious from my message board name that i am a lifelong Alabama Crimson Tide fan. All my knowledge is of my team and the rest of the SEC. I am completely ignorant of Bison Football and your conference, rivalries, etc.

A few questions if you wouldn't mind....

Who is your biggest rival? What "name" do you call them and any other teams you hate? (example- auburn = barners or boogs, tennessee = viles or Ucheat, Ole Miss = ole piss, LSU= the corndogs, Florida = Gayturds etc.)

allow me some answers on these and i will ask others later.

tony
02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
The U of North Dakota (Fighting Sioux) is our biggest rival but we don't play them since their AD decided to stop playing back in 2003. Don't really have a name for them unless you count Siouxage. Lots of Bison fans tell them that they suck though but they say that is racist and insensitive. The first football game was in 1894 (110 games.)

Then there is South Dakota State Jackrabbits. We call them "the bunnies" and generally have a friendly rivalry off the field. Our first game with them was in 1903 (98 games.)

Then there is the U of South Dakota Coyotes. I call them the Vermillion Varmints - pretty friendly rivalry. Our first game with them was in 1900 (only 77 games though.)

CrimsonTider1
02-08-2012, 07:09 PM
The U of North Dakota (Fighting Sioux) is our biggest rival but we don't play them since their AD decided to stop playing us so the last game was in 2003. Don't really have a name for them unless you count Siouxage. Lots of Bison fans tell them that they suck though but they say that is racist and insensitive. The first football game was in 1894 (110 games.)

Then there is South Dakota State Jackrabbits. We call them "the bunnies" and generally have a friendly rivalry off the field. Our first game with them was in 1903 (98 games.)

Then there is the U of South Dakota Coyotes. I call them the Vermillion Varmints - pretty friendly rivalry. Our first game with them was in 1900 (only 77 games though.)

sorry about the UND thing, alabama and auburn stopped play for a 40 year span over a disagreement. It was long ago and the rivalry has only reached a fevered pitch these days. I assume you heard of the bama fan who went to their campus and poisoned their beloved trees on Toomer's Corner (where they celebrate after their wins) His name was Harvey Updyke. We are now called Updykes by their fanbase. We are most often called "bammers" and "gumps"

CaBisonFan
02-08-2012, 07:24 PM
There's the UNI rivalry that has resurfaced. There's no love lost. I call them the purple scrum.

They have never won a NC, but they've been telling us that we aren't good enough to win in the FCS.

That discussion is over...:rofl:

CrimsonTider1
02-08-2012, 07:42 PM
There's the UNI rivalry that has resurfaced. There's no love lost. I call them the purple scrum.

They have never won a NC, but they've been telling us that we aren't good enough to win in the FCS.

That discussion is over...:rofl:

apparently

344Johnson
02-08-2012, 07:53 PM
LOL, the Gumps. I like it.

HerdBot
02-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Our biggest rivals are South Dakota State and Northern Iowa but we tend to respect South Dakota State and genuinely dislike UNI.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=216&stc=1&d=1223934185

UnD, used to be the big rival but that was when we actually played. Someday it will be back and we will have 3 rivals. I call them "The Who " or "Siouxage."

The South Dakota Coyotes go way back too. We played them in the National Championship back in the 80s.

CAS4127
02-08-2012, 07:59 PM
Lakes sent me this message on facebook last night at about the time I was questioning whether CTider was Lakes:

I love how I can control bisonvilleˇ! Woo hoo tony might as well.let me back in!!

Its the GHOST of lakes haunting bisonville muah ha ha ha

tony
02-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Lakes sent me this message on facebook last night at about the time I was questioning whether CTider was Lakes:

So he's controlling bisonville by starting a rational conversation involving UND? That's irony for you. :)

CaBisonFan
02-08-2012, 08:15 PM
So he's controlling bisonville by starting a rational conversation involving UND? That's irony for you. :)

Yeah...when I was introduced to him at the FD a few years back he stared right through me...or should I say...

...right past me. Maybe he is a ghost.

CrimsonTider1
02-08-2012, 10:35 PM

I have created 2 threads on this message board. One to congratulate you on your national championship in the politest manner i could and this one to learn something about NDSU football from real fans instead of stats on a website. No one has even explained who "Lakes" is, yet. And apparently he does have some "control" as you said he claimed on facebook, discussion of him has dominated both threads. He obviously is in your heads and has become an obsession for anyone to look at his facebook regularly.

what the heck?

CAS4127
02-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Tider1: He is a friend of mine and sent me a personal message on Facebook. I don't have a problem with Lakes/Sam, but he has been banned here and on other forums.

CaBisonFan
02-08-2012, 10:46 PM
He's been banned...and it has been well-earned. Some people make him into more than he is. I don't know the guy personally. There are things that have been said about him that I'd rather not repeat here. His name pops up more than I'd like too. I'm really tired of it. Some members have this strange infatuation with him.

CaBisonFan
02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
I have a YouTube website that has videos from the past on it. Old national championship games, etc. I have to reload some of them...but here's a start. A video paints a million words.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison1?feature=mhee

CrimsonTider1
02-08-2012, 11:07 PM
I have a YouTube website that has videos from the past on it. Old national championship games, etc. I have to reload some of them...but here's a start. A video paints a million words.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NorthDakotaStBison1?feature=mhee

thanks. ugh....looks uncomfortably cold up there.

CaBisonFan
02-08-2012, 11:21 PM
thanks. ugh....looks uncomfortably cold up there.

Can be...can be extremely beautiful too. I've been to Birmingham in the summer...:)

IzzyFlexion
02-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Yeah...when I was introduced to him at the FD a few years back he stared right through me...or should I say...

...right past me. Maybe he is a ghost.

If you're over 5' 6" he was clearly staring right through your kneecaps.

SamsRams
02-08-2012, 11:54 PM
I have created 2 threads on this message board. One to congratulate you on your national championship in the politest manner i could and this one to learn something about NDSU football from real fans instead of stats on a website. No one has even explained who "Lakes" is, yet. And apparently he does have some "control" as you said he claimed on facebook, discussion of him has dominated both threads. He obviously is in your heads and has become an obsession for anyone to look at his facebook regularly
what the heck? i think the issue is that it doesnt makes sense why ur posting. It feels like a troll just trying to pump us up. NDSU won a playoff national championship, Bama won a beauty pageant. So it would make more sense for u to be congratulating Mrs USA

CAS4127
02-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Still not convinced Tider is not Lakes--doesn't really matter tho . . .

CaBisonFan
02-09-2012, 12:10 AM
Still not convinced Tider is not Lakes--doesn't really matter tho . . .

...yes, this is possible...

CaBisonFan
02-09-2012, 12:11 AM
If you're over 5' 6" he was clearly staring right through your kneecaps.

6' 3"...so I guess it was closer to my ankles.

56BISON73
02-09-2012, 12:19 AM
I have created 2 threads on this message board. One to congratulate you on your national championship in the politest manner i could and this one to learn something about NDSU football from real fans instead of stats on a website. No one has even explained who "Lakes" is, yet. And apparently he does have some "control" as you said he claimed on facebook, discussion of him has dominated both threads. He obviously is in your heads and has become an obsession for anyone to look at his facebook regularly.

what the heck?

:rofl::rofl:

X-Factor
02-09-2012, 01:10 AM
It can't be lakes. This poster uses proper punctuation.

reformedUNDfan
02-09-2012, 01:29 AM
It can't be lakes. This poster uses proper punctuation.
and grammar.

either lakes is improving at this impostery thing, or it isn't lakes.

mr. Tide, if you are real, this is one of lakes favorite gimmicks. He already pretended to be a boise state fan imploring us to make the fbs jump.

SamsRams
02-09-2012, 01:29 AM
it can't be lakes. This poster uses proper punctuation.

ding ding ding.........we have a winner

CrimsonTider1
02-09-2012, 01:43 AM
and grammar.

mr. Tide, if you are real, this is one of lakes favorite gimmicks. He already pretended to be a boise state fan imploring us to make the fbs jump.

For those that offered information and insight into NDSU i give my thanks. Unfortunately, i am receiving more education on this Lakes fellow than anything else. If i started a thread called "Need info on Lakes" would i get more conversation about NDSU football rivalry?

Maybe another question would shake this "Lakes Tick" that seems to have burrowed into my threads.
What are the prospects for next year? did graduation decimate the ranks? any "early early" preseason polls like the fbs has?

CaBisonFan
02-09-2012, 02:03 AM
For those that offered information and insight into NDSU i give my thanks. Unfortunately, i am receiving more education on this Lakes fellow than anything else. If i started a thread called "Need info on Lakes" would i get more conversation about NDSU football rivalry?

Maybe another question would shake this "Lakes Tick" that seems to have burrowed into my threads.
What are the prospects for next year? did graduation decimate the ranks? any "early early" preseason polls like the fbs has?

We lost some great seniors, but we were very deep and have a lot of outstanding players returning. My biggest concern is filling two spots in the offensive line. At receiver, we were really thin during much of the season because of injuries. We've loaded up there. On paper, we should be in a position to make 2012 another great season. Chemistry is another thing. No way to know about that. I could go down the list and talk about many players, but others would be better at that.

Care to give us a rundown on Alabama's lineup for next year?

CrimsonTider1
02-09-2012, 02:35 AM
We lost some great seniors, but we were very deep and have a lot of outstanding players returning. My biggest concern is filling two spots in the offensive line. At receiver, we were really thin during much of the season because of injuries. We've loaded up there. On paper, we should be in a position to make 2012 another great season. Chemistry is another thing. No way to know about that. I could go down the list and talk about many players, but others would be better at that.

Care to give us a rundown on Alabama's lineup for next year?

early early preseason polls have us at #2 in the country. I hope our players are not reading the papers. We lost a lot to the pros, both seniors and juniors leaving early. Watch the NFL Draft and you'll see just how much we lost. Of course, we have had the #1 recruiting class in some publications 4 of the past 5 years. Stars dont necessarily equate to a good "team". Georgia Southern doesn't have one person on their roster Alabama would even have considered giving a scholarship to but they performed better against our defense than any other team, by far better!
Have to see about the chemistry of this team. The starting qb (MVP of the BCS National Championship) is back. THE O Line will be one of the best in the nation, if not THE BEST. Losing Trent RIchardson will not be as tough as people might think. The backs we have are more than capable. All this equals an offense that will score a lot of points this year. The defense will likely be not as good early on because of so many departing starters but will be a top 10 defense for sure. In essence, if we survive the early part of our schedule with Michigan and Arkansas we will likely be a strong contender for another showing in the championship game.

CaBisonFan
02-09-2012, 02:55 AM
early early preseason polls have us at #2 in the country. I hope our players are not reading the papers. We lost a lot to the pros, both seniors and juniors leaving early. Watch the NFL Draft and you'll see just how much we lost. Of course, we have had the #1 recruiting class in some publications 4 of the past 5 years. Stars dont necessarily equate to a good "team". Georgia Southern doesn't have one person on their roster Alabama would even have considered giving a scholarship to but they performed better against our defense than any other team, by far better!
Have to see about the chemistry of this team. The starting qb (MVP of the BCS National Championship) is back. THE O Line will be one of the best in the nation, if not THE BEST. Losing Trent RIchardson will not be as tough as people might think. The backs we have are more than capable. All this equals an offense that will score a lot of points this year. The defense will likely be not as good early on because of so many departing starters but will be a top 10 defense for sure. In essence, if we survive the early part of our schedule with Michigan and Arkansas we will likely be a strong contender for another showing in the championship game.

Do you think that the championship game is a precursor to more passing in the offense...or was it just a strategy to throw LSU out of their defensive game plan? Obviously, having a run-first philosophy works in the SEC...especially when your offensive line is dominant.

I've had some trouble deciding if the low scoring in your games with LSU have to do with two great defenses who have each other's number...or if the offenses are really that far behind the defenses.

I can see why Georgia Southern was able to move the ball some on Alabama. To their credit...they were a very physical team, with some strong running backs. They were more stout than Minnesota, and maybe the most stout team we played last year. Sam Houston State would be right up there too. We keyed heavily on Georgia Southern's running game, and it's my belief that they could have moved the ball better if they had passed more.

We're rarely been in the hunt for 3, 4, or 5 star recruits...but we seem to be able to find quality players anyway. The kids in some of our rural areas aren't on the scouting radar, so that's part of it.

I mean this in a very respectful way...I would absolutely love to see the Bison play Alabama. Living in Southern California, I'd selfishly like to see the Bison come down and play USC or UCLA. This past year, I'm pretty sure that we would have stuck it to UCLA. Not sure about USC. With them, it depends on which team shows up. They beat Minnesota down here by something like 3 or 4 points.

Enough for now.

reformedUNDfan
02-09-2012, 12:18 PM

NDSU returns 13 starters i believe, including 9 on defense, and plenty of players that saw heavy rotation. The offense returns starting qb, one of the running back tandem (for an alabama analogy, we are returning richardson but losing that heisman winner guy), a couple linesman and get several returning players back from injury and academics, particularly at receiver.

there is no pre-preseason poll yet, but http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?104040-TOP-10-TEAMS-HEADING-INTO-NEXT-SEASON AGS is the best discussion site for fcs and run's imo the best poll. NDSU appears to be consensus pre-season #1. Last years pre-season #1 went 6-5 though.

heffray
02-09-2012, 06:09 PM
...Georgia Southern doesn't have one person on their roster Alabama would even have considered giving a scholarship to but they performed better against our defense than any other team, by far better! ...

hmmmmmmm...........

CrimsonTider1
02-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Do you think that the championship game is a precursor to more passing in the offense...or was it just a strategy to throw LSU out of their defensive game plan? Obviously, having a run-first philosophy works in the SEC...especially when your offensive line is dominant.

I've had some trouble deciding if the low scoring in your games with LSU have to do with two great defenses who have each other's number...or if the offenses are really that far behind the defenses.

I mean this in a very respectful way...I would absolutely love to see the Bison play Alabama. Living in Southern California, I'd selfishly like to see the Bison come down and play USC or UCLA. This past year, I'm pretty sure that we would have stuck it to UCLA. Not sure about USC. With them, it depends on which team shows up. They beat Minnesota down here by something like 3 or 4 points.

Enough for now.

I am not sure about your first question. I think Saban is a run first , and run to set up the pass. Let the defense win the game. Running it eats up the clock faster and physically can wear down an opponent. THe idea, of course, only works if you have a great offensive line and plenty of quality depth, which alabama has. I do think the passing game was opened up because of LSU's quickness on defense on stopping the run AND their anticipation of us doing our normal offense. I think there were many factors there not talked about. Alabama was the better team in both games, but the play-calling killed us. As much as i hate to say it but Saban lost the first game. He did not have confidence in the qb and had a very predictable offensive plan. The offensive coordinator Jim McElwain had just been hired by Colorado State as the head coach before the BCS National Championship. I think as a courtesy Saban allowed him to show more of what a completely McELwain offensive plan would look like. IT was great. Of course, now we are without McElwain. Who knows what next year will hold.

YEs, i would love to have Bama play the Bison. I will probably never happen because of distance but it would be fun. I wonder what the game might be called...The Champion Bowl? anyway....I think both teams would have tremendous respect for each other before AND after that game.
I do think we would win though. sorry.

EndZoneQB
02-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Longhorns/Bison fan here. I'd like to see NDSU play @ Bryant-Denny, but I'm sure it'd be a blood bath haha.

Also, I'm still butthurt over the game in Pasadena(I was there, 11th row). As soon as McCoy went down, it was donezo for UT. It's quite telling that our backup(Gilbert) isn't even with the program anymore. I also remember going there excited to see Ingram run the ball just to see Richardson house one for like 80 yards. My buddy and I both agreed he was going to be a better RB than the current Heisman trophy winner haha.

IzzyFlexion
02-09-2012, 11:07 PM
YEs, i would love to have Bama play the Bison. I will probably never happen because of distance but it would be fun. I wonder what the game might be called...The Champion Bowl? anyway....I think both teams would have tremendous respect for each other before AND after that game.
I do think we would win though. sorry.

Oh.....no f*cking way!!!!!!!
Bison by 3 touchdowns.....minimum........... -if we have Ditka

CrimsonTider1
02-09-2012, 11:17 PM
Longhorns/Bison fan here. I'd like to see NDSU play @ Bryant-Denny, but I'm sure it'd be a blood bath haha.

Also, I'm still butthurt over the game in Pasadena(I was there, 11th row). As soon as McCoy went down, it was donezo for UT. It's quite telling that our backup(Gilbert) isn't even with the program anymore. I also remember going there excited to see Ingram run the ball just to see Richardson house one for like 80 yards. My buddy and I both agreed he was going to be a better RB than the current Heisman trophy winner haha.

Been meaning to ask any Texas fan i came across....what the heck has happened to your program. same coach, same top 3 recruiting classes each year......Texas is awful right now. HOw did this happen? I assumed after our championship game we might see you very soon in the big game again.

EndZoneQB
02-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Been meaning to ask any Texas fan i came across....what the heck has happened to your program. same coach, same top 3 recruiting classes each year......Texas is awful right now. HOw did this happen? I assumed after our championship game we might see you very soon in the big game again.

Well, McCoy graduated. Our 5* QB Gilbert was awful and we haven't found that real successor yet. Case McCoy has looked *ok*, same with David Ash, depending on how you look at it. The defense has been the stalwart, but with no explosive players on offense, save for Jaxon Shipley, we just can't score points. Greg Davis, the OC was terrible, but he got let go and the new guy hasn't done squat either. I'm not sure whether to blame the QBs/offense as a whole, or the play calling/coaching. And I'll be honest, I sort of checked out of UT football once I knew NDSU was going to be awesome and Texas was going to blow. I don't know nearly as much as I should, but I have a feeling they'll be in much better shape next year.

CrimsonTider1
02-09-2012, 11:54 PM
And I'll be honest, I sort of checked out of UT football once I knew NDSU was going to be awesome and Texas was going to blow. I don't know nearly as much as I should, but I have a feeling they'll be in much better shape next year.

Speaking of next year and years to come.... your feeling about texas a&m and missouri leaving to the SEC?

EndZoneQB
02-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Speaking of next year and years to come.... your feeling about texas a&m and missouri leaving to the SEC?

Good riddance. Welcome to the cellar. It makes more sense to me for Mizzou to move than A&M. I think Aggy is hoping this gets them out of UT's shadow...but the SEC is in no way the same as the Big12. It's just a different brand of football. When was the last time either of those schools won the conference title? I mean, they could be successful after a few years...but I don't think it's going to be very pretty right away. Plus, how the hell do you recruit to Bryan-College Station versus most of the SEC cities?? At the end of the day, I think the SEC benefits the most by having a team in Texas for recruiting. Basketball should benefit tho, or at least stay the course. The SEC isn't a bball league outside of Florida/Kentucky, so that won't be terrible I wouldn't believe.

bisonhp330
02-10-2012, 02:16 AM
and grammar.

nah- i think lakes went upstairs and got his mom to do the typing for him between dungeon and dragons rounds on his iMac and bidding on star trek items on ebay.

NDSUFan_Sav
02-10-2012, 03:36 AM
Sigh a Bama fan......FML