NDSU92
02-08-2012, 05:07 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/350032/group/Sports/

Thoughts?

56BISON73
02-08-2012, 05:13 AM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/350032/group/Sports/

Thoughts?

Why not just give every team a participation ribbon. pretty soon it will be like BB.

reformedUNDfan
02-08-2012, 05:25 AM
Why not just give every team a participation ribbon. pretty soon it will be like BB.

teams that go 4-4 in conference shouldn't be in the playoffs. No offense 2010 bison.

I'd like to see it get cut back to 16. there are only around 50 serious programs anyway.

Ross
02-08-2012, 06:02 AM
I'm not a proponent of another auto-bid going to a conference that doesn't support the full scholarship numbers of the major conferences in FCS. As of last season, the conferences that got auto-bids are: Big Sky, Big South, CAA, MEAC, MVFC, NEC, OVC, Patriot, Southern, and Southland. Of these, how many do not support full scholarships? There is a reason that CAA, MVFC, Big Sky, and Southern conferences do so well in the regular season and in the playoffs. Just off the top of my head, I don't know which other conferences other than the previous 4 that I mentioned do support full scholarship numbers.

Championships by conference, since 1990, according to wikipedia...
Southern - 8 (GSU=3, Marshall=2, App St.=3)
CAA - 5 (Villanova=1, Richmond=1, JMU=1, Delaware=1, UMass=1)
MVFC/Gateway - 3 (NDSU=1, Western Kentucky=1, YSU=1)
Big Sky - 3 (Montana=2, EWU=1)
Independent - 3 (YSU=3... after leaving the OVC and before joining the Gateway, they were independent for 7 or 8 years)

ndsubison1
02-08-2012, 06:11 AM
something that is always going to happen. we saw it with the ncaa bball tourney. now fcs again. i am against it. it would help the 3rd/4th place teams in our conference and 4th/5th (6th for CAA) place teams in the CAA and SoCo, but I think expanding only leads to more expanding down the road. make it tougher to get in, not easier. plus, it will come a time when there wont be enough 7 DI win eligible teams, so theyll have to take a team with 6 DI wins... /2 cents

SamsRams
02-08-2012, 06:32 AM
22 is perfect number, but 24 is just fine also. I see your point ming, but i cant imagine them expanding after 24 unless there was a major influx of new fcs programs

mhyer63
02-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Not sure of the exact number, but I was told there are about 122 teams in D1. So I say next year we expand the playoff field to 120 so that we can have a home game in the playoffs against the Sioux.

BisonTeacher
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
The heck with FCS...lets just go FBS and get to a bowl game. Then we can leave all this playoff nonsense behind.

344Johnson
02-08-2012, 12:23 PM
I think 20 is enough. All they are doing now is watering down the field.

aces1180
02-08-2012, 01:34 PM
With the expansion, maybe UND can host a playoff game! Oh, wait....

Notorious
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
24 is too many...

BisonNeil
02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
teams that go 4-4 in conference shouldn't be in the playoffs. No offense 2010 bison.

I'd like to see it get cut back to 16. there are only around 50 serious programs anyway.

If you look at the scores in 16 team field, the week after the playin games held in the 20 team playoff years of 2010 and 2011, the average margin of victory in those 8 games was 10.6 and 21.1 in 2011 and 2010, respectively. The mean average margin of victory in the 16 team field for the two expansion years was 15.9.

If you look at the pure 16 team field you support in the last two years as a comparison, the average margin of victory in the 8 games was 19.9 and 18.1 in 2009 and 2008, respectively. The average margin of victory over the last two years of the pure 16 team field you support was 19.0.

Clearly the field is not watered down and I am not sure it would be with 24 teams.

You can go back to Whiouxville now. You were never needed here.

HerdBot
02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I like it. No bigger than 24. This will prevent teams like Illinois State from getting screwed

bisonfan11
02-08-2012, 01:58 PM
Sounds like the NCAA is doing everything in their power to make UND feel important. It makes it easier for that team to get into the play-offs. 20 teams is just fine. Worked out well for us.

mhyer63
02-08-2012, 02:20 PM
The heck with FCS...lets just go FBS and get to a bowl game. Then we can leave all this playoff nonsense behind.

Heck I will go one better than that, screw the FBS and lets stay with a playoff system by just jumping straight to the NFL.

HandoEX
02-08-2012, 02:30 PM
I like it. No bigger than 24. This will prevent teams like Illinois State from getting screwed
Someone will still get screwed as there will still be bubble teams.

Professor Chaos
02-08-2012, 03:14 PM
24 is getting a little high but I do think giving the Pioneer an autobid is the right thing to do and in order to do that you'd have to go to at least 22. Say what you will about letting 68 teams into the NCAA basketball tournament but it truly is a national tournament. Every team in the country has a shot with the autobids awarded to each conference. I think this should be the same in the FCS even though, as it is in basketball, there are some conferences that do not have a team with a legitimate title shot. The bad thing about expanding to 24 teams is you add another 4 games to the traditionally horribly attended Thanksgiving weekend schedule.

OrygunBison
02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
I find it funny that so many BV'ers are against expansion of the playoffs when so many were FOR it when we were outside looking in.

I like 24 teams. Perfect in that it lets the top 8 have a bye while the next 16 duke it out. Also, they should have either 4 seeded teams or 8. 5 makes absolutely no mathematical sense. Hell, why not seed them all? It works that way anyway in order to make the pairings in week 1. (Do I have that correct??)

NDSU92
02-08-2012, 04:08 PM
I find it funny that so many BV'ers are against expansion of the playoffs when so many were FOR it when we were outside looking in.

I like 24 teams. Perfect in that it lets the top 8 have a bye while the next 16 duke it out. Also, they should have either 4 seeded teams or 8. 5 makes absolutely no mathematical sense. Hell, why not seed them all? It works that way anyway in order to make the pairings in week 1. (Do I have that correct??)

The way it should be and the way that the NCAA can make the most money are two totally different things. Higher seed should get the home game, but the NCAA stands to make more money if teams try to outbid each other rather than posting minimum bids like they do if they have the higher seed.

HerdBot
02-08-2012, 04:13 PM
Someone will still get screwed as there will still be bubble teams.

Yeah but there will be years we are the 7 win fringe team that is playing our best late in the year. Nothing is more annoying than watching a good team in a tough conference NOT get in when a weak conference auto bid school gets in that will get their ass handed to them by a team from the MVFC, CAA, or Big Sky

MarkyMark
02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Make it 24. There will be some year that NDSU gets in because of the expanded field and we have a history of playing our best football in December.

Didn't NDSU get in as the last seed in one of the Eighties Championship years?

HerdBot
02-08-2012, 04:31 PM
Make it 24. There will be some year that NDSU gets in because of the expanded field and we have a history of playing our best football in December.

Didn't NDSU get in as the last seed in one of the Eighties Championship years?

I believe you are correct. Cant remember what year but we must have pissed of D2 because they tried really hard to keep us out of the playoffs. We were victim's of our own success. We changed the rules. The NCC was so dominant that we played USD in the Championship game so they changed that rule.

MarkyMark
02-08-2012, 04:36 PM
I believe you are correct. Cant remember what year but we must have pissed of D2 because they tried really hard to keep us out of the playoffs. We were victim's of our own success. We changed the rules. The NCC was so dominant that we played USD in the Championship game so they changed that rule.

I just remember there was a year the coaches collected the equipment and sent the players home for Thanksgiving because they didn't feel NDSU would get a playoff spot.

CAS4127
02-08-2012, 04:47 PM
I just remember there was a year the coaches collected the equipment and sent the players home for Thanksgiving because they didn't feel NDSU would get a playoff spot.

There were only 8 teams in the PO's at that time. We played #1 seed Cal Davis out there the first game and crushed them. We then went to USD and beat them (recall the pitch) after they had kicked our asses earlier in the season. We then played North Alabama in the NC game, and, IMO, they were not as good as half the teams we played in the regular season. We killed them!!!

Oh, and the reason we got in is because we smoked UND 49-0 in the season final, and about 5-6 teams who were in front of us lost that same weekend-->I suppose our success in the PO's the two years prior also had something to do with getting bumped up that high as well.

tony
02-08-2012, 04:49 PM
For those saying that 24 is too many: Is 16 too many? Why not just have 8 teams in the playoffs?

I have terrible memories of the D2 system. NDSU had four or five teams with 2 or 3 losses that got left out of the playoffs. For example, NDSU had a 9-2 team snubbed and a 10-1 team that got sent on the road for three straight rounds. Even if those screw jobs were facilitated by Roger Thomas being on the playoff selection committee, the fact is that D2 allowed it. Of course, the D2 playoff system was bull crap in about six different ways so the FCS would have to have a complete meltdown to get as bad. Expanding the playoff field provides a bit more cushion against stupidity.

BadlandsBison
02-08-2012, 05:00 PM
If they make it 24, they'll just let the entire Colonial conference each year, and maybe one 7-4 Valley team.

heffray
02-08-2012, 05:09 PM

There were only 8 teams in the PO's at that time. We played #1 seed Cal Davis out there the first game and crushed them. We then went to USD and beat them (recall the pitch) after they had kicked our asses earlier in the season. We then played North Alabama in the NC game, and, IMO, they were not as good as half the teams we played in the regular season. We killed them!!!

Oh, and the reason we got in is because we smoked UND 49-0 in the season final, and about 5-6 teams who were in front of us lost that same weekend-->I suppose our success in the PO's the two years prior also had something to do with getting bumped up that high as well.

We won the championship. Clearly it was the right decision.

MarkyMark
02-08-2012, 05:10 PM
If they make it 24, they'll just let the entire Colonial conference each year, and maybe one 7-4 Valley team.

If that 7-4 Valley team is the Bison I will be happy they expanded the field.

Facts
02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
We won the championship. Clearly it was the right decision.

Ahboombah.

BisonTeacher
02-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Heck I will go one better than that, screw the FBS and lets stay with a playoff system by just jumping straight to the NFL.

You forgot your purple font. :biggrin:

mhyer63
02-08-2012, 07:24 PM
I'm color blind, thought I had it on.

SDbison
02-08-2012, 07:24 PM
Twenty is plenty.........leave it at that for a while.

MNLonghorn10
02-08-2012, 09:48 PM

illinois st screwed themselves by not beating northern iowa.

Kujava23
02-09-2012, 07:57 PM
The negative to expanding is season is long with injuries etc. Does 24 games mean need to win another game or higher seeds all get buys?

FCS was about finding a CHAMPION....if expanding getting close to FBS where its all about MONEY.

roadwarrior
02-09-2012, 07:59 PM
The negative to expanding is season is long with injuries etc. Does 24 games mean need to win another game or higher seeds all get buys?

FCS was about finding a CHAMPION....if expanding getting close to FBS where its all about MONEY.

Eight teams will continue to get first round byes. 16 teams will play the first weekend instead of the 12 that currently play the opening weekend.

bisonmike2
02-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Eight teams will continue to get first round byes. 16 teams will play the first weekend instead of the 12 that currently play the opening weekend.

They should give UNI an automatic bid and a bye every year. Then automatically advance whoever their opponent is in the second round. Actually, don't they do that now?

Strommer10
02-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Two major components as I see it are:

1. Attendance/money. They will be adding 4 more games on the weekend of Thanksgiving which are usually sparcely attended. I know this has been said earlier but it has to be a HUGE factor. We all know the NCAA is starving for money and they will probably lose money by adding more games on this particular weekend. It's just not money smart.

2. Injuries/ Health. The bye week is a HUGE deal to those teams that recieve it. If you start eliminating that bye week for teams, players don't get that chance to heal up and perform at a high level at the right time.

I like what they have now, but 24 is definitely the maximum number they should go. There will always be bubble teams so that arguement is mute.

Bisondan
02-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Twenty is plenty.........leave it at that for a while.

As always ++++++1

Keep it at 20 until the Bison are in danger of being 21-24. That is not going to happen for a while with Wentz at QB.

Answer Guy
02-09-2012, 09:43 PM
so that arguement is mute.

Mute arguments hardly ever win.

IzzyFlexion
02-09-2012, 11:04 PM
There will always be bubble teams so that arguement is mute.

Moops........Moops!!!!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_-2gf151WQ-A/Spg8bOEYyJI/AAAAAAAAAP4/Y0DRQhSCBJ8/s320/moops.jpg

Hammerhead
02-10-2012, 02:04 AM
It's not mute point -- it's a moo point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DI6MivCd8tE

BisonTeacher
02-10-2012, 02:06 AM
The Whole thing is Moot! just ask Jesse.

http://www.myspace.com/video/skippythebold/the-question-is-moot/10783207

EDIT...I cant get the dang video to show on here...so just click on the link. Its Old School SNL. "Who get tha car? I get tha car."