PDA

View Full Version : Rating the 2012 Recruiting Class

Professor Chaos
02-06-2012, 07:09 PM
So I've been looking around on AGS for the last week or so checking out other schools recruits trying to put together a somewhat objective analysis of the NDSU recruiting class. It seems the presiding opinion on this board is that this is an outstanding class overall. I think the class is just as good as most others I've seen but there are too many schools to count who also think their recruiting class is spectacular. Having said that here's my (hopefully) educated rankings and opinion on each player in the class:

NOTE: I am including Dinwiddie since it looks like he is coming.

The Top Tier

Jacob Davis - Has the physical tools to dominate at this level. Has the speed and size combo to be an immediate contributor and a future All-American if he works to improve and stays healthy. If he really fell through the cracks merely due to KU and K-State not paying enough attention the Bison got incredibly lucky to land him.
Dee Gray - From the sounds of it he's a leader who's unselfish but also plays with an attitude. The size is there so if he can show that he has consistent hands he could be a premier FCS reciever even without top end speed. If both he and Vraa reach their potential you've got NFL size WRs on both sides of the field.
Brett Pierce - Another player who is physically ready to play right now. The fact that he's a hockey goalie shows that he has the agility to play DE and he should have the size to play DT in a year or two as well. I see him as a Justin Tuck type big DE who can also move inside on passing downs and beat opposing O-lines with speed or power.
Derek McGinnis - His mechanics look to already be in college form. His arm strength isn't at the same level but certainly seems adequate for a west coast passing offense. I love the fact that he accepted the challenge of coming into a logjam at QB. It shows he has confidence is his abilities and the willingness to work for his opportunity to play.
Zach Johnson - He will be the best O-lineman of this class in my estimation. He has the agility already at 300+ pounds to be a very good FCS lineman and once he gets on a training program that should only improve. I could see him playing next year if necessary.
DeSean Warren - Reminds me of Travis White in a lot of ways. He seems like a guy who could line up in a lot of different places a la Percy Harvin. His health is the only concern but if he stays healthy his speed will be an excellent compliment to the size of Gray and Vraa.
Marcus Brantley - Hits like a ton of bricks. Not sure about his pass coverage skills but he has the making of a very good safety or even a corner if his speed is as good as advertised. If he and Heagle are able to get on the field at the same time I pity the opposing recievers who have to run crossing routes against them.
Deveon Dinwiddie - Speed, speed, and speed is what excites me about this kid. He's a home run hitter in the backfield who I could also see returning kicks. Not sure about his durability but with the stable of backs that NDSU has I'm guessing he won't be asked to carry the load.

The Middle Tier

(9) Austin Farnlof - I love his enthusiasm about playing for the Bison. I'll take a marginal talent who is willing to work his butt off over a blue chip talent who expects things to be handed to him. Not sure if he's ready to play just yet but with the work ethic he seems to have he should be a very good one in a couple years.
(10) Carey Woods - Talented but raw, I think Gray and Warren have a better chance of seeing the field before Woods. He's probably the best combination of size and speed the Bison have at WR so perhaps the most potential of any WR currently on the roster but it'll take some coaching to make him an impact player on the D1 level.
(11) M.J. Stumpf - I have heard that this kid has broken helmets with some of his hits. You gotta love a hardnosed ND kid like that. It soudns like he's a worker and, again, he may not be the most talented but he's talented enough to be a difference maker at this level if he works at it and stays healthy.
(12) Jack Plankers - You can't teach the size that this kid has but I worry a bit about his agility against smaller quicker DEs in pass protection. I think he'll be a bulldozer in run blocking but if he's going to be a tackle he's going to have to be a complete O-lineman.
(13) Bo Liekhus - I've had a hard time gauging him. Just based on NDSU's good fortune in Nebraska I feel good about him. He looks like he's a tackling machine but didn't see a lot of him playing the pass. Seems kind of like Stumpf where they may move him to OLB but he seems like he's got the spead to play Safety as well.
(14) Chuks Amaechi - Potential is there but he'll be a project at DE I think. I assume the coaches have a plan for him so I'll go with it but I think he's a couple years away from being a contributor.
(15) Landon Lechler - Perhaps the biggest project of the class. He looks to have the agility to play OT but he needs to add a lot of strength. It's been done before but it's asking a lot of a kid to put on 40-50 pounds of a muscle in a year or two.

The Bottom Tier

(16) Zach Riopelle - Tough to find a lot of info on him so the unknown is the primary reason why I rated him as one of the lower prospets in this class. He's got good size to be an OLB in this system and he seems like an athlete so the potential is there.
(17) Sam Hahn - Another Nebraska player who wasn't on anyone else's radar so I'm guessing he's got some ability, or else we wouldn't have offerend and UNL wouldn't have been looking at him to walk-on, but he's got a ways to go before he's ready to contribute.
(18) Andy Smith - Appears to be a very good athlete but not spectacular at any one aspect of his game. Seems to me that there's a lot of Safety recruits in these last two classes so he'll have lots of competition but we'll need someone to step up at that position opposite Heagle in the next few years.
(19) Justin Arp - Not sure if he's destined to be a DE or a TE so it's tough to get too high on his potential at either position yet. The ND recruits, for the most part, seem to have the willingness to stick around and put in their dues to the program and his versatility will be good for depth at multiple positions.
(20) Tom Barneson - Tough to rate kickers with the position players and I'm not sure why we recruited a walk-on a year after giving a scholarship to another kicker. I'm guessing it's just for competition. At any rate, we saw last year the value of having a good kicker so any depth is good depth and should make both kids better.

Obviously, ranking these kids is tough going only off tape, the metrics on Rivals, and comparisons to other recruits but I agree that this is a pretty good class overall. It's on par with any other class I've looked at around the country at the FCS level but of course I'm incredibly biased. For a lot of these guys I have preconcieved notions about based on articles I've read and other schools who were on them so I'm sure another person ranking them could be vastly different. There's a good mix of guys who are physically ready to play right away and guys who will be projects but with a lot of potential. The key, as always, will be retention. If 80% of these kids stay the full 4-5 years there will be a lot of impact players in this class.

Alright, tear apart my rankings as will. Put your own ranks up or sort them into tiers like I did. It might be interesting to come back and look at this in a couple years to see how right or wrong we were.

EndZoneQB
02-06-2012, 07:18 PM
I think Farnlof has to be in that top tier. #15 center in the country...although it doesn't look like he's going to play that position, that's pretty high talent IMO.

BadlandsBison
02-06-2012, 07:42 PM
I'm impressed with the whole class, some are ahead of others as far as development. I wouldn't put them into "tiers" just that some are more ready.

HerdBot
02-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I am so pumped about this class. There are 7-8 studs and 12 guys who have a great shot at stardom. This is an amazing class on paper. Farnlof is top tier. On a typical year would have Carey Woods, Stumpf, and Liekus at or near the top and Arp and Rioprlle in the middle. I think Chuks Amaechi is going to be special. Plankers has the size, athleticism, and Bison pride to be incredible.

If last years class pans out, we will have the makings of a 4-5 year dynasty that can win a bunch of championship. Guys like Veldman, Dinwiddie, Lee, Horvath, and Lisenby are very talented. Our receivers are over the top talented and we haven't even gotten production out of Vraa and Okland yet.

344Johnson
02-06-2012, 08:05 PM
Cant underestimate Plankers. The dude seems like this has always been his dream. Gotta love the North Dakota boys we land who always wanted to be in Fargo. Cant imagine he feels like he is settling for something less than what he wanted.

EndZoneQB
02-06-2012, 08:07 PM
Cant underestimate Plankers. The dude seems like this has always been his dream. Gotta love the North Dakota boys we land who always wanted to be in Fargo. Cant imagine he feels like he is settling for something less than what he wanted.

He said even if someone like Wisconsin had offered he'd still be at NDSU. Pretty awesome IMO. I think his desire to be here will also play a lot into his leadership role within the team...

MarkyMark
02-06-2012, 08:40 PM
I follow NDSU recruiting more closely every year. I can't believe the patience and hard work that must have gone into recruiting this class after going through the playoffs and National Championship. I hate to rate the class because I am really excited about all of them.

Instead of rating them I will pick the ones most likely to see playing time as true freshman.

1. Jacob Davis - This guy is physically ready to play D-1 football. Could see playing time on special teams or linebacker if we have injuries at that position. Davis is almost big enough to play DE but I would rather see his speed used at linebacker.
2. Dee Gray - I have no idea which receiver will get on the field next year. Warren, Gray and Woods are each built very differently. I just think Gray might be most physically ready to take the punishment of D-1 play right now.
3. Brett Pierce - NDSU rotates alot of defensive linemen. Brett is probably the most developed defensive lineman of the incoming class.
4. Marcus Brantley - Lots of speed, 3 chances to see playing time at corner, safety or special teams.
5. Deveon Dinwiddie - I don't think he can redshirt so I am sure he will see playing time.
6. Bo Liekhus - Fast and looked good on tape. Again lots of places to put him at DB or special teams. I am really glad he is coming to NDSU.

I am comfortable with all of the returning players filling all of the two-Deep positions so I really hope all of these guys will redshirt. Offensive lineman is my biggest concern but its not very often you get a guy like Turner that can start as true freshman.

tjbison
02-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I think Farnlof has to be in that top tier. #15 center in the country...although it doesn't look like he's going to play that position, that's pretty high talent IMO.

Yeah no crap

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/129445/austin-farnlof

CaBisonFan
02-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Great analysis Professor...and to everyone who has contributed. I appreciate it. Fun to read.

Dee Gray is my pick for having a big, early impact. The vids of him show a pretty mature, big, fast athlete. With the absence of Warren Holloway, we definitely have an opening for this type of player.

If we can stay relatively healthy with our receivers, the over-all passing game improves this coming fall.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
02-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I am just really really pleased with the class we got. On paper, it looks like one of the best classes ever. I am not going to judge anyone, about playing ability until I see it for myself. For now, I would put the whole class as a top tier! We are going to have the O and D lines in the country for many yrs. Also, it may be fun to see an Offesive play book opend up with some of these new recievers!

DjKyRo
02-06-2012, 09:25 PM
While I'm no elite recruiting mind, I do think that the coaches filled the spots where we're getting thin (offensive line, receivers, even safety to a lesser degree) with some top-notch talent. Potential big-time guys at those spots and the linebackers and defensive linemen we added should only contribute to what looks like a stacked group for the next few years.

SDbison
02-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I think someone should do a quick review of last years 2011 class so we can recall who was supposed to be good / great after recruiting and who sounds like they will be good / great based on feedback from 2011 practice.

westnodak93bison
02-06-2012, 10:43 PM
imho, the only way you can rate this class is "great on paper". Which is all you can ask at this point in time. Hopefully the class excels above our expectations and develops an understanding of what it means to be a Bison(the sooner the better).

SamsRams
02-06-2012, 10:55 PM
Instead of rating them I will pick the ones most likely to see playing time as true freshman.

5. Deveon Dinwiddie - I don't think he can redshirt so I am sure he will see playing time.

That will be impossible since he will be a Redshirt Sophomore

Mr. Burgundy
02-06-2012, 11:27 PM
One thing that I hope we are aware of, is that if a kid redshirts/doesn't redshirt, that doesn't mean he won't be a star down the road. Some of these kids need to fill out/mature, change their body....etc. It would be awesome if they all could redshirt. I think the MLB position is really deep right now, and we just got better after adding Wichita MLB Jacob Davis, but we have Grant Olson who will already be a Junior and Dinwiddie backing him up. Personally, it would be great if he could redshirt, as he appears to be a good one. It would be really nice if we can spread those kids out, as they are all legit talents. Hard for me to evaluate who is the best recruits, after seeing the videos and seeing what the coaches have had to say, it depends on how you look at it. Some of the kids with lesser offer lists were at our camp early, took our offer and were verbals for a long time. Those kids have a track record of working out. It will be fun to follow down the road. I am just excited we filled up the Offensive line with massive kids with great work ethic. Those kids look special, and that is how the Bison are built.

Professor Chaos
02-07-2012, 12:18 AM
I agree with a lot of comments on here about how who looks the best now will be much different from who looks the best 2, 3, or 4 years from now. The best way for me to put it in perspective is to think of the basketball recruiting class of '04. Woodside had two scholarship offers I think, those being transitioning NDSU and SDSU. Winkelman had no other offers IIRC. The best player in that class was Tom Lunde who, unfortunately, never got to see the court due to injuries.

Football is no different. I think there are guys who I rated near the bottom of the class, like a Lechler or a Riopelle, who could be real difference makers. I wanted to rate them just because I thought it would be interesting to look back on it in a year or two. By no means do I want to degrade any of these guys, God knows every one of them is a better athlete than I could've ever hoped to have been. I'm just rating them based on who I think are the best players right now. A guy like Carey Woods may have the most potential of anyone in this class but I think he's the 3rd best WR in the class right now.

As far as who redshirts and who doesn't, I think it comes down moreso to where the depth is needed compared to who's physically ready. Steve Hallstrom had a great comment on this when he was still at WDAY, he said that to not redshirt a player is basically trading his best year of football for his worst year of football. In a perfect world every player would redshirt but in an injury prone sport with limited scholarships that's not a reality.

FargoNorth
02-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Jack Plankers is underated. 290 pounds out of highschool. This kids gonna be the anchor for our line in a few years.

CAS4127
02-07-2012, 03:29 AM
Don't under estimate Riopelle->mark it down right now!!

westnodak93bison
02-07-2012, 03:55 AM
Don't under estimate Riopelle->mark it down right now!!

But he doesn't have a Rivals page? :)

NDSU_grad
02-07-2012, 04:00 AM
It will be fun to look at these rankings in a couple of years. Most people (myself included) would have had Travis Beck in the bottom tier for the '10 recruiting class. Just never know how a recruit is going to work out.

perthbison
02-07-2012, 01:07 PM
imho, the only way you can rate this class is "great on paper". Which is all you can ask at this point in time. Hopefully the class excels above our expectations and develops an understanding of what it means to be a Bison(the sooner the better).I agree with this assesment.

BisonNeil
02-08-2012, 01:43 AM
There has been quite a bit of talk about the potential for one or more of the WRs recruited this year to see the field this fall. That is probably because Bohl mentioned that specifically in his presser.

I went back into the archives of the NDSU press releases that I have printed and saved, it's how I keep track of those that stay, whether they start, quit, or are kicked off the team.

Bohl and his staff have recruited 24 WRs since the 2004 class, including the most recent one. Seven have become starters (Belquist, Heckendorf, Holloway, Mack-Juco, Smith, and I included Vraa and Gebhart in that count given both started one or two games this year), or 29%. Three became effective back ups (Schultenover, Wahlo, Moody) one was a back up but never really played due to injury (Williams) (17%). Nine quit or were kicked off (Schultenover counted twice, here, and in back up) (38%).

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but as near as I can tell, only Moody, a PWO, has played as a TFr. The odds would appear against any of the WRs recruited in 2012 to make an impact in their TFr year, unless of course, the injury bug continues to plague Vraa and Gebhart.