PDA

View Full Version : Success Through Retention

BisonNeil
02-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Now that the 2012 recruiting class is in the bank, I think it is fair to look back at recruiting success, something that has been written about briefly by Kevin Schnepf of the Forum.

Some of you recall during the "down" years I posted some info on this board about some of Bohl's recruiting classes have considerable attrition which I believed contributed to the 6-5 season and particularly to the 3-8 season.

I have read that most coaches believe success is derived through player retention. Bohl has said on a couple of occasions that Tom Osborne felt that if a staff keeps more than half of a recruiting class 4-5 years, then they will have success. So, taking a look back at the recruiting classes contributing to the recent success the Bison had on the football field, those numbers seem to be borne out.

The numbers below only reflect scholarship players, either from HS or JUCO, and do not include preferred walk ons which skew the numbers a bit since they tend to have much lower retention rates.

The 2007 class had 18 recruits, 8 left, were kicked off, or were lost due to injuries (Beeson). That is a 56% retention rate, well within Osborne's success percentage.

The 2008 class was a well publicized bust. Seventeen players signed, only 3 remained on this past team, an 18% retention rate. I think we all knew this class was going to be trouble when five players were lost before fall camp and when McFarlane decided to have a fight with Lardinois in the shower after a practice. Not the brightest bulb there.

From here on out the numbers are very impressive since in previous classes (2004-2006 & 2008) a lot of players were gone after one year.

Bohl signed 20 players in 2009, only 4 are gone after three seasons, one of those lost due to injury (Jacobs). That is an impressive 80% retention rate.

Twenty five players signed in the superb 2010 class, 22 are still on the roster (but assumes Crockett will be), which means that so far there has been an 88% retention rate.

Perhaps too early to see how retention for the 2011 class will be, but so far so good. Twenty young men signed, only one is not on the team, 95% retention. The key will be how good this class really is following the 2010 class and how many will get the playing time they want. I only say that because I hear virtually nothing about Smith, Albers, Bonnet, Lisenby, and Scoliere.

But, as Bohl says, "the proof is in the puddin'". It appears to me that player attrition rates have gone down significantly in recent years with one exception (2008), which to me means there will be considerable success in the future.

EndZoneQB
02-04-2012, 04:22 PM
Sort of off topic, but I guess I never heard the McFarlane thing with Lardinois. Of all people, why HIM? Someone that was obviously much larger and more accomplished them him. Maybe he thought it was prison and it was either beat someone's a** or become someones b*tch??

CaBisonFan
02-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Good article Neil...with some really interesting stats.

Kermit
02-04-2012, 05:07 PM
...The key will be how good this class really is following the 2010 class and how many will get the playing time they want. I only say that because I hear virtually nothing about Smith, Albers, Bonnet, Lisenby, and Scoliere.

Very interesting post. Thanks! I have heard some very encouraging things about Bonnet. He is supposedly looking great in winter workouts. He has been called a "freak athlete." There could be a position change in his future.

HerdBot
02-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Great post. I think that 5th year seniors are amazing. They understand the system at an advanced level and are physically bigger, stronger, and faster. They also act as coaches. There is no comparison between a skinny freshman kid who is learning and man in his early 20s who knows the Playbook like the back of his hand and has been there before. There is a reason Bobby Ollman steps into a starting role and not miss a beat. Experience and practice.

SDbison
02-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks BisonNeil, like I just posted in the Dinwiddie thread as I think it applies well to this thread:
......the Bison could really end up being in great shape at RB and QB for the next several years if all the recruited players stick around, develop well and avoid serious injuries.

Lots of ifs, but I like what I see..........those that stay will be champions!