PDA

View Full Version : Make the Spring Game a Bigger Event

SDbison
02-04-2012, 03:41 PM
I know all the coaches care about is getting ready for spring practice, going through various drills / evaluations and then playing the actual game, but is it possible someone at NDSU can take the initiative to make this a bigger event??????????
Who should be contacted.......Gene Taylor, Pat Simmers, others?
After the national championship season momentum should be taken advantage of to create even more interest and support for Bison athletics.

Obviously there already are events the night prior with the silent auction, dinner, and coaches presentations, and then on Spring game day the locker room sale, etc. How about doing some more things to get fans out, spend $$ and watch the game?

1. Set up a few inflatables for kids on field on that can deflated and pulled out of the way before game time.
2. Have a Dome open house to view coaches offices and other facilities within.
3. Set up tables to provide info on teammakers, sign up new members and sell season tickets (I believe this is currently being done).
4. Bring boxes of popular selling items from NDSU bookstore to sell at dome.
5. Have a smaller selection of items for another Silent Auction (not everybody goes to the Friday event).
6. If possible do a 50-50 raffle.
7. I know this is a sore subject and could be limited by weather, but why not allow tailgaiting? Many other colleges do it for spring game. Charge $15 a spot.
8. Bring in some past players, and local and regional celebrities to talk up Bison sports!
9. Last but not least, do a bunch of advertising on radio, TV, newspaper, facebook, etc. to promote the Spring game. Talk about all the events, inspire people to come see the national championship Bison team and be a part of next years run!

If this was done right there is no reason the dome couldn't have 12,000 plus in attendance for the Spring game.

Bisonfan1
02-04-2012, 03:59 PM
OK, so I just about fell out of my chair reading SDbison's post. Espicially the part about charging $15.00 for tailgating. I dont believe that is a sore subject at all, I knew it used to be with SDBison so it was shocking when it was suggested. I totally agree that spring game could easily become a huge event with a little work, and it should be. charging 15 or whatever would more than pay for security to tailgate. I have always believed that the team, coaches etc get a warm up so why not us ?? Its a good opportunity for all of us to try new equipment out etc. And would definetely bring more people to the spring game. I like all the other ideas as well. Have a few bands playing in the lot as well, they probably wouldnt even charge to get the exposure, maybe a battle of the bands ?

Gully
02-04-2012, 04:00 PM
I agree SD, this could be a much bigger event. Have they even announced a date yet?

Mr. Burgundy
02-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Well thought out post SD. Good work. In my opinion, it is already a solid day, that has so much potential. The tailgating issue is sort of a don't ask, don't tell, and don't advertise policy right now. I personally think they could go to the school, pay for security (with the money they raise by charging by the spot) and it could explode. I also think we could get 10,000+ easily.....and it only helps recruiting as we have a ton of juniors in on that day. It is already impressive. Bohl runs a FBS program.

I love the sale that morning, it is really a well run event that could only get better now that the fans NEED more! Go Bison!

Do they charge for the game? They should. Pay for a couple scholarships! Make it cheap, but straight to Team Makers!

SDbison
02-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Well thought out post SD. Good work. In my opinion, it is already a solid day, that has so much potential. The tailgating issue is sort of a don't ask, don't tell, and don't advertise policy right now. I personally think they could go to the school, pay for security (with the money they raise by charging by the spot) and it could explode. I also think we could get 10,000+ easily.....and it only helps recruiting as we have a ton of juniors in on that day. It is already impressive. Bohl runs a FBS program.

I love the sale that morning, it is really a well run event that could only get better now that the fans NEED more! Go Bison!

Do they charge for the game? They should. Pay for a couple scholarships! Make it cheap, but straight to Team Makers! Yep good idea.......NDSU students and 18 and under free. $5 admission for adults.
Like Bisonfan1 suggested, bring the NDSU band........or even have some local bands playing outside.......weather permitting!

MOST IMPORTANT DO SOMETHING BIGGER THIS YEAR TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF INCREASED INTEREST.

Maybe can't charge yet for admittance to game, but how about having some unique memento from the championship season (coin, etc?) selling at entrance for $10 each that only cost a few bucks to make. Kind of get people used to idea of entrance cost.

Putz
02-04-2012, 04:28 PM
I think these are some great ideas. I would like to see the spring game be more of a game type atmosphere for the fans.

SDbison
02-04-2012, 04:41 PM
So how do we get this going at NDSU.......who inside can get the ball rolling? There is additional work to be done and it has to be done real soon to take effect this year.

I really believe the extra effort for this game could bring some big dividends.......grow the fan base, increase fundraising and make Bison Nation even more special.

jimmyptubas
02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
From someone who has little to no knowledge of the spring game, this makes a lot of sense. This is the first year I will be free in the spring to pay attention and I can't imagine some of the casual fans even know this game exists.

Kermit
02-04-2012, 05:16 PM
SD has been pushing this for years. I think he has some great ideas and the time is right. Build on the momentum!

Go Bison!!

VanClubPres
02-04-2012, 06:13 PM
I have heard rumbleings of some changes to the spring game...perhaps they will happen.

These are all great ideas, and I am for all of them, but I had to smile. We only had something like 11-12000 for Indiana State a couple of years ago when they were on the skid. What would have to happen to make that many people come for a 40 minute ish scrimmage. I know that there are teams that can get 60-90 percent capacity, but that 2-4000 seems to be more reasonable. I would love it if the did hit that 10000 mark. Maybe with the National Championship Trophy in tow this year, it will bring out a bunch more.

Lets Go Bison!

Mr. Burgundy
02-04-2012, 06:20 PM
To me, this is just part of acting like an FBS program. Spring Game is big to big fanbases. No question we should capitalize on being National Champs. We are going to out grow the Dome someday soon. Already talks about capping season tickets, so if you don't have them, you better go get them.

EndZoneQB
02-04-2012, 07:20 PM
The problem is, most casual fans have no idea that a spring game exists, or if they do, what it means to them.

bisonfan11
02-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I agree with what has already been posted. What else would be great to improve interest in the Spring Game is more media coverage (Forum, local TV stations, KFGO, KFAN, Bison Ill.), and more publicity via NDSU's PR department. Also, I think that the media should cover Spring Practices more to give the casual fan more reasons to be interested in Bison Football. We just won the National Championship, it is time that Bison football get's the "royal" treatment by the media in this town. With this, it very well will make the Spring Game a bigger event and even make the casual fan more excited about NDSU football. The time for "small-time" publicity is over we are legit, and it is time for our media to capitalize on it.

56BISON73
02-04-2012, 08:31 PM
So how do we get this going at NDSU.......who inside can get the ball rolling? There is additional work to be done and it has to be done real soon to take effect this year.

I really believe the extra effort for this game could bring some big dividends.......grow the fan base, increase fundraising and make Bison Nation even more special.

Why dont you get in touch with Gene and Pat and run with it. Ask them all the questions and make your suggestions. Then stay on top of it to get them to commit one way or the other. You could also enlist our resident idea guy Gabe to help you out.

northendzone
02-04-2012, 08:40 PM
We did a fishing trip to Algoma, WI (just outside Greenbay) I decided to run into town and see Lambeau Field - they had the same type of event, tailgating, 5K run, vendors, ect. It was really cool, we need to do this!!!!

HerdBot
02-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I know all the coaches care about is getting ready for spring practice, going through various drills / evaluations and then playing the actual game, but is it possible someone at NDSU can take the initiative to make this a bigger event??????????
After the national championship season momentum should be taken advantage of to create even more interest and support for Bison athletics.

Obviously there already are events the night prior with the silent auction, dinner, and coaches presentations, and then on Spring game day the locker room sale, etc. How about doing some more things to get fans out, spend $$ and watch the game?

1. Set up a few inflatables for kids on field on that can deflated and pulled out of the way before game time.
3. Set up tables to provide info on teammakers, sign up new members and sell season tickets (I believe this is currently being done).
5. Have a smaller selection of items for another Silent Auction (not everybody goes to the Friday event).
7. I know this is a sore subject and could be limited by weather, but why not allow tailgaiting? Many other colleges do it for spring game. Charge $15 a spot.
8. Bring in some past players, and local and regional celebrities to talk up Bison sports!
9. Last but not least, do a bunch of advertising on radio, TV, newspaper, facebook, etc. to promote the Spring game. Talk about all the events, inspire people to come see the national championship Bison team and be a part of next years run!

If this was done right there is no reason the dome couldn't have 12,000 plus in attendance for the Spring game.

Props! I want to see 8-10k fans show up this year. Big time programs have big time spring games. Tailgating is a must. I dont care how much it is but the average Joe would pay $5-10. Have mega literature on the BSA project and sell the football fans on how it will benefit FOOTBALL with a new weight room and improved image.
Use the video board to promote the BSA renovation. Lets take it to a higher level.

STRIKE WHEN THE IRON IS HOT! Were a big deal right now.

How about a SHAC raffle?

silkamilkamonico
02-04-2012, 09:17 PM
The problem is, most casual fans have no idea that a spring game exists, or if they do, what it means to them.

I think it means something different for everyone. I think it's awesome that people love getting into the spring game and agree that if the fanbase wants it they need to explore options to make it bigger. For myself and others it just doesn't mean anything and I don't pay attention at all to any spring football or even know when the games are.

DjKyRo
02-04-2012, 11:43 PM
who inside can get the ball rolling? There is additional work to be done and it has to be done real soon to take effect this year.

Rather than always ask this, why not ask "Who outside can get the ball rolling?" Send some e-mails. Make some phone calls. Demonstrate that there is legit interest from outside the administration.

The whole "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" routine.

Twentysix
02-05-2012, 06:01 AM
If BCS schools can get 90,000 people to a spring game there is no reason we cant get more than 3,051.

When I attended the spring game my senior year of highschool, there were maybe 1500 people there, It has grown no doubt, but not to the level that is appropriate.

10,000+ should be totally realistic after a NC if it is marketed correctly.

NDSU92
02-05-2012, 07:01 AM
If BCS schools can get 90,000 people to a spring game there is no reason we cant get more than 3,051.

When I attended the spring game my senior year of highschool, there were maybe 1500 people there, It has grown no doubt, but not to the level that is appropriate.

10,000+ should be totally realistic after a NC if it is marketed correctly.
I agree that it should be bigger, but 10,000?... That's really hard to expect.

Twentysix
02-05-2012, 07:19 AM
I agree that it should be bigger, but 10,000?... That's really hard to expect.

Thats a half full fargodome. With the right attractions beyond the football game I think that should be expected by 2013-14.

Growing it from 3,000 to 6,000 this year should not be an impossible task.

344Johnson
02-05-2012, 07:54 AM
I think the flag football game....should be the Event!

Twentysix
02-05-2012, 08:39 AM
I think the flag football game....should be the Event!

Now you are thinking, easily an additional 15 people will attend because of this!

WYOBISONMAN
02-05-2012, 12:54 PM
All of us can work to get the ball rolling. Just shoot Gene an email and give your ideas....and then follow up. Gene is the best AD we have ever had and will give consideration to all ideas.

Rockbear99
02-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Sell beer lol

westnodak93bison
02-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Sell beer lol
I agree 100%. It's a nice revenue source waiting to happen.

Rockbear99
02-06-2012, 04:49 PM
That was meant as a joke. there is no need to sell beer at football games.

Bison03
02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I expect there to be a lot more at this years game. Over 5000 is pretty realistic. Agree that they need to promote the hell out of this. Casual fans that are leaning to be hardcore fans that are potential teammakers and season ticket holders are up fro grabs. Advertise it to come and see the National Champions!! Allowing tailgating would be awesome. I don't think you would get a full parking lot, at least not the first year. Do is once and it would build. ulWhen is the spring game? If everyone on bisonville emailed pat simmers and gene taylor, that would be a good start.

Tatanka
02-06-2012, 05:45 PM
I expect there to be a lot more at this years game. Over 5000 is pretty realistic. Agree that they need to promote the hell out of this. Casual fans that are leaning to be hardcore fans that are potential teammakers and season ticket holders are up fro grabs. Advertise it to come and see the National Champions!! Allowing tailgating would be awesome. I don't think you would get a full parking lot, at least not the first year. Do is once and it would build. ulWhen is the spring game? If everyone on bisonville emailed pat simmers and gene taylor, that would be a good start.

We've tailgated without incident for at least the past three or four years.

SDbison
02-06-2012, 05:50 PM
*except for the Lakes incident.

Bison03
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM

With alcohol? Is it a "keep it hidden" type of situation? I would be better with a normal game day tailgate experience without the worries of doing something wrong or illegal.

Tatanka
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM

I stand corrected.

EndZoneQB
02-06-2012, 07:11 PM

Something happened during the spring game tailgate?

With alcohol? Is it a "keep it hidden" type of situation? I would be better with a normal game day tailgate experience without the worries of doing something wrong or illegal.

Tailgate like any other day, its just not "official"...aka police yourself. If you don't, risk losing the privilege for all of us. Weird how that works isn't it? The last few years we've had pretty successful tailgates with no issues...and no overbearing security presence LOOKING for trouble. Although, I will say, this past year went really smoothly through the season and playoffs. Only had one *minor* confrontation with security and that worked itself out without further incident.

SDbison
02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
I sent a slightly modified version of the post at the start of this thread to Gene Taylor this morning. I already received a reply back from Gene that essentially said the following:
- Appreciated my input and suggestions.
- Many of the ideas I had listed were already being worked on by Marketing Staff and Spring Game Committee.
- NDSU still wants to keep the event free to bring in new fans.
- My ideas along with others will be put into place to make this year's Spring game the "biggest Spring game to date".
- There was no mention in Gene's reply either positive or negative regarding tailgating at the Spring game.
NOTE: In the past when I discussed possible tailgating at Spring game with Gene he had reservations due to all the hoops that had to be gone through to get fall tailgating. Maybe no specific comment at this time is a good thing.

Kermit
02-06-2012, 09:00 PM
I sent a slightly modified version of the post at the start of this thread to Gene Taylor this morning. I already received a reply back from Gene that essentially said the following:
- Appreciated my input and suggestions.
- Many of the ideas I had listed were already being worked on by Marketing Staff and Spring Game Committee.
- NDSU still wants to keep the event free to bring in new fans.
- My ideas along with others will be put into place to make this year's Spring game the "biggest Spring game to date".
- There was no mention in Gene's reply either positive or negative regarding tailgating at the Spring game.

Thanks for doing this, SD!

SDbison
02-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Thanks for doing this, SD!
No problem........Gene is great about responding........we are lucky to have him.
Here is an additional comment I edited into my post above:
NOTE: In the past when I discussed possible tailgating at Spring game with Gene he had reservations due to all the hoops that had to be gone through to get fall tailgating. Maybe no specific comment at this time is a good thing.

MarkyMark
02-06-2012, 09:06 PM

10. Let fans get down to the new turf.

11. Make the players available for autographs after the scrimmage. MN did this for their spring game. They gave everybody that attended a folder with the roster printed inside. The Kids used the folder to collect autographs. I was there because I knew one of the kids on their squad and I wanted to preview their team before our matchup. It was fun to see the stadium from ground level.

SDbison
02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Something happened during the spring game tailgate?

Tailgate like any other day, its just not "official"...aka police yourself. If you don't, risk losing the privilege for all of us. Weird how that works isn't it? The last few years we've had pretty successful tailgates with no issues...and no overbearing security presence LOOKING for trouble. Although, I will say, this past year went really smoothly through the season and playoffs. Only had one *minor* confrontation with security and that worked itself out without further incident.
I was referring to incidents at Fall tailgating justifying the ability to have Spring tailgating. To my knowledge there have been no (zero) incidents or anything close to one during limited Spring tailgating.

SDbison
02-06-2012, 09:10 PM
10. Let fans get down to the new turf.

11. Make the players available for autographs after the scrimmage. MN did this for their spring game. They gave everybody that attended a folder with the roster printed inside. The Kids used the folder to collect autographs. I was there because I knew one of the kids on their squad and I wanted to preview their team before our matchup. It was fun to see the stadium from ground level.
The new turf won't be installed until after the Spring game this year. Still a good idea about that, also meeting players and getting autographs.

Tatanka
02-06-2012, 10:38 PM
Corrrrrrrrrectamundo IMHO

EndZoneQB
02-06-2012, 11:20 PM
No problem........Gene is great about responding........we are lucky to have him.
Here is an additional comment I edited into my post above:

Yep, that's the vibe I get as well. Basically, if you "know" you can do it, and police yourself, they are basically just going to look the other way. If there are problems, you can bet your a** they will condemn you for doing it, etc. I'll gladly take it this way at this point.

I was referring to incidents at Fall tailgating justifying the ability to have Spring tailgating. To my knowledge there have been no (zero) incidents or anything close to one during limited Spring tailgating.

Phew, I was going to be pissed if something happened at the Spring Game!!