PDA

View Full Version : Something Others Don't Have

CaBisonFan
02-03-2012, 10:18 PM
Others may claim to have an outstanding recruiting class. We can claim the same, or better.

But no one...and I mean no one else in the region has what we have.

We have a Championship tradition that goes back to the mid-60s. It hibernated for a while.

It's the real 12th man...and no one else has a clue how to recruit him.

And for those who may worry about the target that will be on our back next year...don't.

Bison teams actually enjoy it when they're on the road. Our fans do too.

Oh yes...the championship tradition is definitely back...:nod:

Mr. Burgundy
02-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Funny you bring this up. The "map" of college teams has alot of people talking, the thing I keep coming back to...."National Champions." You can never take that away from us. National Champions.

MNLonghorn10
02-03-2012, 10:42 PM
the real 12th man??

dont tell texas a&m or a lawsuit will be filed

4mcruenomore
02-03-2012, 10:45 PM
the real 12th man??

dont tell texas a&m or a lawsuit will be filed

Don't you mean the Seattle Seahawks?

HerdBot
02-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Traditional takes decades to build. How many teams can post championships in the 60s, 80s, 90s, and 10's. My family has Bison fans the span from my Grandfather to my father to me to my kids. It runs deep and the fans who watched in the 60s are just as passionate and passed the passion onto their kids.

EndZoneQB
02-03-2012, 11:15 PM

Or UND.

Oh wait, I get it. I thought we were talking about number of fans in the stands...

4mcruenomore
02-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Or UND.

Oh wait, I get it. I thought we were talking about number of fans in the stands...

Technically, but millions watch them on tv because all of their games are nationally televised on fox college sports via FSSN, errr UNDSN.

BadlandsBison
02-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Or UND.

But they did have a wannabe SS colonel donate a few million bucks.

CaBisonFan
02-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Funny you bring this up. The "map" of college teams has alot of people talking, the thing I keep coming back to...."National Champions." You can never take that away from us. National Champions.

Nope...it can't be replicated or taken away...and folks are jealous as hell...just as it should be.

I can't wait to watch the Bison enter the field down at Northern Iowa. Their fans will look like they're wearin' green.

bkit29
02-04-2012, 12:50 AM

In January 2006, Texas A&M filed suit against the Seattle Seahawks to protect the trademark and in May 2006, the dispute was settled out of court. In the agreement, Texas A&M licensed the Seahawks to continue using the phrase "12th Man" in exchange for public acknowledgement by the NFL franchise as to Texas A&M's ownership of the phrase.

4mcruenomore
02-04-2012, 01:17 AM
In January 2006, Texas A&M filed suit against the Seattle Seahawks to protect the trademark and in May 2006, the dispute was settled out of court. In the agreement, Texas A&M licensed the Seahawks to continue using the phrase "12th Man" in exchange for public acknowledgement by the NFL franchise as to Texas A&M's ownership of the phrase.

thank you Cliff Clavin

CaBisonFan
02-04-2012, 01:53 AM

Wow...such a common thing in football...owned by someone? Truly amazing.

"Ah...we own the four fingers in the air at the end of the 3rd quarter."

bkit29
02-04-2012, 01:23 PM
thank you Cliff Clavin

funny you say that, i dvr all cheers episodes.

IndyBison
02-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Wow...such a common thing in football...owned by someone? Truly amazing.

"Ah...we own the four fingers in the air at the end of the 3rd quarter."Trademarks are powerful things if you can get them registered before they become common. Indy has "12th Man" on their Ring of Fame so I'm not sure if they have an agreement as well.

jimmyptubas
02-04-2012, 03:30 PM
As per Cabison's comment, I do beleive we will be seeing more green and gold in ALL of the away stands next year. If it weren't for my buddies wedding I'd be at UNI for sure!

SDbison
02-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Something most other FCS teams and the lower third of FBS teams don't have is great fan support and interest (high level of attendance at games, donations and pride) that NDSU football draws. Bison Nation is an ever growing group of outstanding fans!

EndZoneQB
02-04-2012, 04:17 PM
As per Cabison's comment, I do beleive we will be seeing more green and gold in ALL of the away stands next year. If it weren't for my buddies wedding I'd be at UNI for sure!

Ugh, same here. If your wedding just happens to be the same as mine(Christ the King church in Moorhead), we'll do our own tailgating haha

CaBisonFan
02-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Trademarks are powerful things if you can get them registered before they become common. Indy has "12th Man" on their Ring of Fame so I'm not sure if they have an agreement as well.

Yeah...I'm a professional songwriter, and I copyright every single idea before it goes onto my YouTube channel, or onto iTunes for publication...but I'm surprised that a small phrase that's commonly used in football can be owned by anyone. Not arguing...just sayin.'

It's like...we own the phrase 'first down.'

onbison09
02-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Something most other FCS teams and the lower third of FBS teams don't have is great fan support and interest (high level of attendance at games, donations and pride) that NDSU football draws. Bison Nation is an ever growing group of outstanding fans!

I think we take this for granted. My school is in the S*** Belt. We have a gorgeous stadium but struggle to draw 15K (it doesn't help that we've absolutely sucked for the past few years due to hiring a high school coach). My friends that watched the game back were stunned at the amount of Bison fans and all pretty much agreed we (UNT) would never bring that many fans to Frisco even though it's 40 minutes away. I guess the point of this post is NDSU should be damn proud of our tradition.

SDbison
02-04-2012, 05:17 PM
I think we take this for granted. My school is in the S*** Belt. We have a gorgeous stadium but struggle to draw 15K (it doesn't help that we've absolutely sucked for the past few years due to hiring a high school coach). My friends that watched the game back were stunned at the amount of Bison fans and all pretty much agreed we (UNT) would never bring that many fans to Frisco even though it's 40 minutes away. I guess the point of this post is NDSU should be damn proud of our tradition. Amen Brother......Amen

VanClubPres
02-04-2012, 06:16 PM
NDSU should be damn proud of our tradition.

To The Herd!

A1pigskin
02-05-2012, 06:26 PM
To the fans......

BisonNeil
02-05-2012, 08:48 PM
I think we take this for granted. My school is in the S*** Belt. We have a gorgeous stadium but struggle to draw 15K (it doesn't help that we've absolutely sucked for the past few years due to hiring a high school coach). My friends that watched the game back were stunned at the amount of Bison fans and all pretty much agreed we (UNT) would never bring that many fans to Frisco even though it's 40 minutes away. I guess the point of this post is NDSU should be damn proud of our tradition.

Well, according to the local papers in DFW area on Sunday, Jan 8, Mark Emmert of the NCAA was also "stunned" at the number of Bison fans. Cool!

CaBisonFan
02-06-2012, 02:36 AM
Well, according to the local papers in DFW area on Sunday, Jan 8, Mark Emmert of the NCAA was also "stunned" at the number of Bison fans. Cool!

We continue to surprise ourselves with our appearances at FBS games...the Big Dance...and now the FCS Championship.

I keep saying this...but I want to stress it...'the Bison Brand is very, very attractive...and not just in the region.'

IndyBison
02-06-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah...I'm a professional songwriter, and I copyright every single idea before it goes onto my YouTube channel, or onto iTunes for publication...but I'm surprised that a small phrase that's commonly used in football can be owned by anyone. Not arguing...just sayin.'

It's like...we own the phrase 'first down.'
My employer was sued a couple years ago because our web site had a tool that allowed customers to enter information and have the site recommend products to purchase based on their questions. Somebody had a patent for that issues back in the early 90s and it was still valid. It's something that is very common now but at the time was new and innovative. It was not a matter of trying to win the lawsuit but reducing the settlement.

If someone coined the "12th Man" phrase to refer to their fans and it wasn't a common thing at the time, I can see where it was allowed to be trademarked. They aren't indefinite though and I'm sure the legal minds on here could clarify.

Bison bison
02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
We continue to surprise ourselves with our appearances at FBS games...the Big Dance...and now the FCS Championship.

I keep saying this...but I want to stress it...'the Bison Brand is very, very attractive...and not just in the region.'

I don't care how attractive it is, I ain't getting a Bison branded on my region.

Kermit
02-06-2012, 04:56 PM
I don't care how attractive it is, I ain't getting a Bison branded on my region.

We'll see. The Reverend Bob can be very persuasive. :D

CaBisonFan
02-06-2012, 05:10 PM

But if you do...please don't post a picture.

KilldeerBison
02-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I've seen some NDSU Theta Chi with an "OX" branded on them, not sure what it means, I think greek for Bison?

DjKyRo
02-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I've seen some NDSU Theta Chi with an "OX" branded on them, not sure what it means, I think greek for Bison?

Greek letters Theta and Chi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

perthbison
02-06-2012, 06:10 PM
I've seen some NDSU Theta Chi with an "OX" branded on them, not sure what it means, I think greek for Bison?I betcha that BriDog has one of those.:offtopic:

bri-dog
02-06-2012, 06:54 PM
I betcha that BriDog has one of those.:offtopic:

Both of them faded away years ago...:biggrin:

BadlandsBison
02-06-2012, 06:56 PM
Greek letters Theta and Chi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet

I think he's making jokes :) btw I think I found your phone

DjKyRo
02-06-2012, 09:47 PM
I think he's making jokes :) btw I think I found your phone

Damnit people, we invented purple font for a reason.