PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior: Scott Stoczynski

tony
02-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Like so many others, Scott stepped up big his senior year and made position moves for the betterment of the team. His ability to rotate in at defensive end (and tackle too I think) kept NDSU's defense Bison strong all game long. Example: The last play of the championship game? Scott crushed their QB for a 10-yard sack.

If you want to start one of these threads, there are still three seniors left who we haven't gotten around to starting threads for: Boen Anderson, Brady Hansen, and Alex Yaggie.

BadlandsBison
02-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Like Tony said, Scott stepped up big time his senior year. He was a great example for the younger guys, too.

CAS4127
02-03-2012, 05:36 PM
He accepted his role throughout his career here-->the true Bison way. I hope the kids we have recruited this year and the last few that may not or have yet to get significant playing time understand that, in the long run, good things will happen to them and the team that is North Dakota State University.

herdmember
02-06-2012, 03:59 AM
His best game this year probably came in the championship game. That was great to see. Give me a senior in the final game of any season, especially the title game! It really is fantastic this great senior class got to leave NDSU with a win.

Thanks for the great career Scott!

BisonNeil
02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Scott had one of the more heady plays of the NC game in my opinion.

When Beck dove for the endzone, he led with the ball, which he lost control of when it hit the ground before he did, so technically Travis was not yet "down". There was a chance that this play could have gone south like the Holloway fumble against UNI when he dove for the endzone, lost control of the ball, which hit the pylon before it went into the endzone, possession UNI. I held my breath, but the replay in the corner of the stadium showed Scott jumping on the ball and recovering it in the endzone. It was a no call by the ref, but I still think it was a heads up play on Stoczynski's part.

G-city Bison Fan
02-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Never got a chance to meet Scott, but his family was very active and really great. They made it to the SDSU watch party in Chicago last year and I know they made it to numerous games back in Fargo.

HerdBot
02-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Solid career. After the Garrett Johnson fiasco he was forced to start earlier than expected. Had a good 2010 by starting and playing some great run defense. Was a consistent player in the rotation his senior year. Deserves credit for the hair.

Elvis was a Bison
07-18-2022, 12:59 AM
Anyone hear anything about Scott passing. Polasek and DJ McNorton made mention of it on twitter and were wishing condolences to his family. What have you heard?

Grizzled
07-18-2022, 12:30 PM
Anyone hear anything about Scott passing. Polasek and DJ McNorton made mention of it on twitter and were wishing condolences to his family. What have you heard?

Unfortunately true.

El_Chapo
07-18-2022, 01:27 PM
1 player told me it was a car accident, (EDIT) This is confirmed now, 1 car rollover.
He was in Law Enforcement, then moved careers to financial planning I believe.

He was a helluva guy, fun times with him back in the day at chubs. RIP Stoh..

Bison03
07-18-2022, 04:30 PM
Kyle Emmanuel shared a great story that I, and a guarantee most people don't know about Scott. So he was a wedge guy on punts; one of the guys right in front of the punter who calls protections. So on the infamous fake punt play in the national championship game, he was the one who made the read on the defense and made the call to run the fake. Kyle even said that the right look actually wasn’t there, but that Scott believed in the play and decided to keep the fake on. Pretty awesome story about a guy that most people didn’t know was involved in one of the biggest plays in NDSU history!! Once a Bison, always a Bison. Rest in peace.

ndsubison1
07-18-2022, 05:00 PM
Kyle Emmanuel shared a great story that I, and a guarantee most people don't know about Scott. So he was a wedge guy on punts; one of the guys right in front of the punter who calls protections. So on the infamous fake punt play in the national championship game, he was the one who made the read on the defense and made the call to run the fake. Kyle even said that the right look actually wasn’t there, but that Scott believed in the play and decided to keep the fake on. Pretty awesome story about a guy that most people didn’t know was involved in one of the biggest plays in NDSU history!! Once a Bison, always a Bison. Rest in peace.

That's awesome.

Bisonator98
07-18-2022, 05:59 PM
Sad deal my condolences to his family and friends.

El_Chapo
07-18-2022, 08:54 PM
cmon forum. make the article available. can someone post it? or 80% of it?

Bison03
07-19-2022, 05:39 AM
FARGO — The first of nine NCAA Division I FCS national championships had to start somewhere for North Dakota State. There have been stars over the years. And then there was Scott Stoczynski, a backup defensive lineman who perhaps did more off the field for the first national title in 2011 than on it.
A starter as a junior, he took on a reserve role and helped make his mark as a senior leader. “Scott was one of those guys that was willing to do whatever he could to help the Bison win,” said Bison defensive line coach Nick Goeser, who came to NDSU in 2010. “I have a lot of appreciation for those guys. And Scott would have admitted to you, he was never the most talented guy or dominant guy but he was willing to do whatever he possibly could. Guys like him were one of the main reasons we were able to turn those years around from ‘09 to ‘10 to winning a national championship in 2011. He was one of those reasons.”
Sadly, former teammates and coaches are paying tribute to Stoczynski, who died over the weekend in Texas from an automobile accident. Cole Jirik, the president of the Bison Football Players Association, reached out to the family on Sunday on behalf of former players.
Stoczynski had 20 tackles, 4.5 for lost yardage, 2.5 quarterback sacks and a fumble recovery that championship season. He and defensive end Coulter Boyer were the lone seniors on a defensive line that was young and developing. Stoczynski’s best season was in 2010 when as a junior he started in all 14 games registering 47 tackles and a fumble recovery. That year ended in the FCS quarterfinals at Eastern Washington, but NDSU’s first foray into the FCS playoffs set the stage for a run of titles that is still ongoing.
“They’re the guys that flipped that switch,” said Jirik, Stoczynski’s teammate on the defensive line. “Everything was different, practices were different. That senior class changed this program.”
He became a state trooper with the North Dakota Highway Patrol from 2012-15 and was an adult probation officer in the Chicago area from 2015-17, according to his bio on LinkedIn.com.
He entered the financial world from there and was a vice president at First Trust in San Antonio, Texas, the past three years.
“He touched every guy on the team,” Jirik said.
That included the coaches. Former Bison assistant Tim Polasek points to Stoczynski’s willingness to be part of the triangle blocking scheme in front of the Bison punter. They have to be prepared to take on a heavy rush and leave defenders in their tracks.
“His ability and want to, to do anything to help the team,” Polasek said. “I had him on the punt team. He made the calls and was part of that shield, which wasn’t a fun job.”
Funeral plans had yet to be finalized on Monday, Jirik said.“He was loved, he had a lot of friends on both sides of the ball,” Polasek said. “Great teammate. Had the ability to be there for guys and hold guys accountable for the standards."

tony
07-19-2022, 12:25 PM
Man, he was just a kid. It seems like yesterday that he was on the field.

sage
07-19-2022, 12:55 PM
Sad deal! I don't follow the players like most of Bison Fans, but I was a Bison Fan when he played. My condolences to his family and Bison Family.

El_Chapo
07-19-2022, 03:48 PM
FARGO — The first of nine NCAA Division I FCS national championships had to start somewhere for North Dakota State. There have been stars over the years. And then there was Scott Stoczynski, a backup defensive lineman who perhaps did more off the field for the first national title in 2011 than on it.
A starter as a junior, he took on a reserve role and helped make his mark as a senior leader. “Scott was one of those guys that was willing to do whatever he could to help the Bison win,” said Bison defensive line coach Nick Goeser, who came to NDSU in 2010. “I have a lot of appreciation for those guys. And Scott would have admitted to you, he was never the most talented guy or dominant guy but he was willing to do whatever he possibly could. Guys like him were one of the main reasons we were able to turn those years around from ‘09 to ‘10 to winning a national championship in 2011. He was one of those reasons.”
Sadly, former teammates and coaches are paying tribute to Stoczynski, who died over the weekend in Texas from an automobile accident. Cole Jirik, the president of the Bison Football Players Association, reached out to the family on Sunday on behalf of former players.
Stoczynski had 20 tackles, 4.5 for lost yardage, 2.5 quarterback sacks and a fumble recovery that championship season. He and defensive end Coulter Boyer were the lone seniors on a defensive line that was young and developing. Stoczynski’s best season was in 2010 when as a junior he started in all 14 games registering 47 tackles and a fumble recovery. That year ended in the FCS quarterfinals at Eastern Washington, but NDSU’s first foray into the FCS playoffs set the stage for a run of titles that is still ongoing.
“They’re the guys that flipped that switch,” said Jirik, Stoczynski’s teammate on the defensive line. “Everything was different, practices were different. That senior class changed this program.”
He became a state trooper with the North Dakota Highway Patrol from 2012-15 and was an adult probation officer in the Chicago area from 2015-17, according to his bio on LinkedIn.com.
He entered the financial world from there and was a vice president at First Trust in San Antonio, Texas, the past three years.
“He touched every guy on the team,” Jirik said.
That included the coaches. Former Bison assistant Tim Polasek points to Stoczynski’s willingness to be part of the triangle blocking scheme in front of the Bison punter. They have to be prepared to take on a heavy rush and leave defenders in their tracks.
“His ability and want to, to do anything to help the team,” Polasek said. “I had him on the punt team. He made the calls and was part of that shield, which wasn’t a fun job.”
Funeral plans had yet to be finalized on Monday, Jirik said.“He was loved, he had a lot of friends on both sides of the ball,” Polasek said. “Great teammate. Had the ability to be there for guys and hold guys accountable for the standards."

you're the hero

El_Chapo
07-21-2022, 03:16 AM
Amazing outpouring of support for Scott & his Fiancee & funeral expenses, etc.
$100,000+
WOW. some incredible NDSU names on this list.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/in-memory-of-scott-stoczynski

Props to Gene Taylor family , Billy Turner, Alex Yaggie & Matt Phillips, Anthony Lavoy with generous donations..along with many many NDSU teammates.

1 $10,000 Anonymous donation = BFPA ? or a bigger named ndsu teammate?

just beautiful how amazing BisoNation is in a time of need for a brother.