PDA

View Full Version : Maturi Retiring!

duluthbison
02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/349359/

The Star Tribune of Minneapolis said Maturi will retire as of June 30 and remain with the school as an assistant to President Eric Kaler, citing an e-mail distributed throughout the university.

(http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/349359/)Probably the best thing to happen to the university next to Brewster getting canned.

Kermit
02-02-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/349359/

(http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/349359/)Probably the best thing to happen to the university next to Brewster getting canned.

Totally agree--and I am definitely not a Gopher fan. It is incomprehensible that a Big Ten AD hired Brewster. That's all I need to know about Maturi.

HandoEX
02-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Maturi has been a thorn in the side of the U's athletic department for far too long. Their programs have high ceilings but he has done kept them grounded for far too long!

tony
02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Well, good that we got on the Gopher schedule when we could... might not happen again for a long time.

CAS4127
02-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Will Gene Taylor apply??!!:confused::hide:

tony
02-02-2012, 03:09 PM
Will Gene Taylor apply??!!:confused::hide:

How about Roger Thomas? That would be a cupcake full of awesome covered in dinosaur-shaped candy sprinkes!

Tatanka
02-02-2012, 05:00 PM
How about Roger Thomas? That would be a cupcake full of awesome covered in dinosaur-shaped candy sprinkes!that is a very interesting concept and a better visual.

MNLonghorn10
02-03-2012, 01:22 AM
i root for the gophers. this is a calling. things will turn around, minnesota did absolutely nothing under maturi.

SDbison
02-03-2012, 01:23 AM
Will Gene Taylor apply??!!:confused::hide: Wouldn't that be a downgrade? Sorry unbison couldn't resist!

SDbison
02-03-2012, 01:25 AM
i root for the gophers. this is a calling. things will turn around, minnesota did absolutely nothing under maturi. And they will continue to do little or nothing in the big ten whoever is in charge.

MNLonghorn10
02-03-2012, 01:27 AM
And they will continue to do little or nothing in the big ten whoever is in charge.

nah. this will make them competitive... im not sold on what tubbys done, and i dont think kill is going to lead them anywhere...a new ad will hopefully save them a lot of time by moving quick and getting the right guys.

EndZoneQB
02-03-2012, 03:30 AM
nah. this will make them competitive... im not sold on what tubbys done, and i dont think kill is going to lead them anywhere...a new ad will hopefully save them a lot of time by moving quick and getting the right guys.

Agreed about Tubby. While it was a good hire at the time IMO(gotta get a name in there to at least create buzz), I think it's sort of lost its luster. If they had been a lot more competitive from the beginning, he might have really had something(name + results) brewing. Is it all Tubby's fault? No. The Mbakwe and Royce White issues obviously set him back quite a bit...and at least in the White situation, it was a kid he HAD to recruit...or he wouldn't have heard the end of it. What's his best player since? Rodney Williams?

MNLonghorn10
02-03-2012, 03:48 AM
was westbrook his recruit or was that mason?

i think sampson and iverson were 3 or 4 stars.

royce white was nothing on tubby...but still...hes gotta do something and quick, and losing to freakin iowa last night is not a start

EndZoneQB
02-03-2012, 04:25 AM

i think sampson and iverson were 3 or 4 stars.

royce white was nothing on tubby...but still...hes gotta do something and quick, and losing to freakin iowa last night is not a start

Iverson transferred. Sampson probably would be better off at NDSU haha. He's missed quite often. Mbakwe is obviously good, and Royce White is as well...

The Iowa loss was awful. They had that big win against Indiana and it felt like they had sort of turned a corner...but at 4-6 in the conference they are easily on the outside looking in to the tournament. They are going to need a serious run in the BigTen tournament if they want to be in the tournament. That would be two years in a row out, no? That's unacceptable.

unbison
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
the only way this has any downside is that he is the one that scheduled or pushed to schedule ndsu...............he i am sure was a helpful in scheduling us through transition.....im sure some you will say we helped them buy putting butts in the seats.......it is true but was not a known when they first scheduled ndsu..............I will say thank you maturi for you support of other local universities.............and the gopher fan in me says dont let the door hit you where the good lord split you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!r

Bison"FANatic"
02-03-2012, 01:46 PM
It would be quite Ironic if Gene Taylor took the job and then didn't schedule the Sioux in Hockey anymore and continued not scheduling them in other sports!!!!!!!:):)

HandoEX
02-03-2012, 02:18 PM
It will be interesting to see who makes the lists of candidates. This should be a damn good job with a huge university, great facilities, and a fanbase that would go bonkers for a winning team. I hate to say it, but GT would be a great fit.

JMB
02-04-2012, 12:19 AM
It will be interesting to see who makes the lists of candidates. This should be a damn good job with a huge university, great facilities, and a fanbase that would go bonkers for a winning team. I hate to say it, but GT would be a great fit.

You know if they ever got it turned around and moving in the right direction the Gophers could be a monster. Its one of the largest universities in the country and has been for a very, very long time. If they could get something going, imagine the alumni dollars that would start rolling in. Plus the cities has always had many, many large companies with head quarters in the area. You would think the funding would be there to put together some of the best facilities in the country. Granted they have their problem. The local press is fairly hostile and Minnesotans are typically more focused on pro-sport teams. Plus I get a sense that outstate minnesota at best is apathetic towards the University and at worst, takes delight when they piss down their leg.

BisonTeacher
02-09-2012, 12:31 AM

I think you mean Munson.

I like Tubby. I always ask myself...if he left, who better would we get? The only name that comes to mind is Flip. I am very interested to see who the new AD will be.