PDA

View Full Version : 2012 JC transfer Deveon DinWiddie RB

SamsRams
01-29-2012, 09:52 AM
title should say 2012......my bad
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/midlands/post?id=1727&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblo g%2fncfrecruiting%2fmidlands%2fpost%3fid%3d1727

Other commits include defensive back*Brian King*with Texas-San Antonio, defensive back*Darrius Morrowwith South Alabama, defensive lineman Kamalie Matthews with Murray State, running back Deveon Dinwiddie with North Dakota State, offensive lineman Jonathan Brown with Northeastern State, linebackerShane Smith*with Fort Hays State, defensive lineman Riyadh Moore with Emporia State, defensive back Duan Sims with Baker University, fullback Cameron Brandon with McPherson College, and defensive lineman Anthony Mendoza with Friends University.To continue reading this article you must be an Insider

committed to K State out of HS as a greyshirt recruit
http://rivals.yahoo.com/rutgers/football/recruiting/player-Deveon-Dinwiddie-77576

Deshawn posted on his facebook "he bout to be up here with me"
along with video. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/536090/deveon-dinwiddie

Mr. Burgundy
01-29-2012, 12:37 PM
2) Hutchinson RB Deveon Dinwiddie - The freshman tailback had a phenomenal season for the Blue Dragons, posting 719 yards and nine TD's.

Mr. Burgundy
01-29-2012, 12:42 PM
http://videos.kansas.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=10046511&item_index=3&all=1&sort=NULL

I remember something last year about his brother, I think being our freshman LB....and him signing with K-State. Kid looks pretty legit, well spoken. Hutch just produces D1 kids. Factory down there.

HerdBot
01-29-2012, 01:52 PM
How many years of eligibility?

KTF
01-29-2012, 01:53 PM
Looks like a great get!!

KSBisonFan
01-29-2012, 02:03 PM
Here's some 2011 stats on him. Also had 9 receptions, a punt return and a few KO returns.

2011 Hutchinson Blue Dragon Football
Hutchinson CC Overall Individual Statistics
(as of Dec 05, 2011) All games

RUSHING GP Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
D. Dinwiddie 12 143 893 33 860 6.0 12 90 71.7
T. Lane 10 73 476 15 461 6.3 8 85 46.1

ALL PURPOSE GP Rush Rcv PR KR IR Total Avg/G
C. Patterson 12 379 924 0 511 0 1814 151.2
J. Stewart 12 200 741 340 138 0 1419 118.2
D. Dinwiddie 12 860 25 12 87 0 984 82.0

FargoNorth
01-29-2012, 02:14 PM
We'r gonna be staked at halfback this year

KSBisonFan
01-29-2012, 02:16 PM
How many years of eligibility?

He was listed as a freshman on the 2011 roster.

25 Deveon Dinwiddie RB Fr. 5-8 179 Hutchinson, KS Hutchinson High)

Bison"FANatic"
01-29-2012, 02:29 PM
Interesting in the article "Dinwiddie makes his Decision" it states he has ran a 4.35 electronic 40 yard dash.

Thats moving

HerdBot
01-29-2012, 02:37 PM
title should say 2012......my bad
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/midlands/post?id=1727&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblo g%2fncfrecruiting%2fmidlands%2fpost%3fid%3d1727

Other commits include defensive back*Brian King*with Texas-San Antonio, defensive back*Darrius Morrowwith South Alabama, defensive lineman Kamalie Matthews with Murray State, running back Deveon Dinwiddie with North Dakota State, offensive lineman Jonathan Brown with Northeastern State, linebackerShane Smith*with Fort Hays State, defensive lineman Riyadh Moore with Emporia State, defensive back Duan Sims with Baker University, fullback Cameron Brandon with McPherson College, and defensive lineman Anthony Mendoza with Friends University.To continue reading this article you must be an Insider

committed to K State out of HS as a greyshirt recruit
http://rivals.yahoo.com/rutgers/football/recruiting/player-Deveon-Dinwiddie-77576

Deshawn posted on his facebook "he bout to be up here with me"
along with video. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/536090/deveon-dinwiddie

Another example of how the grey shirt is essentially bull shit. They get these kids all psyched up to play for a Big 12 team, has a great statistically season, and ends up with no offer.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
01-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks for posting the video, the kid looks pretty darn good. I liked how he was an up and down runner, not too much shaking around. Welcome aboard Deveon!

Bison"FANatic"
01-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Watch the video and take note on how fast he sees the hole change, plants, changes directions and then hits top speed. Seems VERY impressive to me.

jarhead
01-29-2012, 03:30 PM
According to news reports, Deveon was a redshirt freshman this year. I believe I read he had a knee injury in 2010 and didn't play, which would give him three years of
eligibility. He was a Kansas "Top 11" pick coming out of high school and a solid Big 12 recruit. Every article I read referred to his speed.

X-Factor
01-29-2012, 03:46 PM
We'r gonna be staked at halfback this year

Careful, BN might read this comment.

BisonNeil
01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
Careful, BN might read this comment.

Too late :D

SDbison
01-29-2012, 04:27 PM
Kid will get a chance to play near home against Kansas State in 2013.

EndZoneQB
01-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Wasn't his brother a little under the radar when we were recruiting him? This is an example of when taking a chance on a kid pays off two-fold...

Mr. Burgundy
01-29-2012, 05:39 PM
I left the BSA last week after a game next to the Linebacker Dinwiddie....kid looks like a 25 year old MLB in the NFL. Kid is a big/strong kid. Passes the eyeball test for sure. Cool that his brother will be here too.

BadlandsBison
01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
So these brothers might be graduating at the same time? That's cool

ndsubison1
01-29-2012, 06:24 PM
looks like ojuri has some stiff competition

jarhead
01-29-2012, 06:26 PM
As I stated on the other thread, I hope the brothers won't mind me sharing this, but I feel it is a powerful, positive message to any of
us whose lives have been relatively easy.

http://www.hutchnews.com/Todaystop/backfooting

SamsRams
01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
man not even one positive rep point for finding this? wut if i say all that copy and pasteing was from my phone? i just want your approval gentleman ;)

SamsRams
01-29-2012, 07:10 PM
Kid will get a chance to play near home against Kansas State in 2013.
how can u sit by and not update the summary? you must not enjoy staring at that list as much.as me :)

jarhead
01-29-2012, 07:11 PM
man not even one positive rep point for finding this? wut if i say all that copy and pasteing was from my phone? i just want your approval gentleman ;)

Can't you feel the love?

NDSUstudent
01-29-2012, 07:18 PM

I just hit you up, nice work on the find...this type of talented RB I was hoping we could get!

SamsRams
01-29-2012, 07:30 PM
question for the greyshirt experts. deveon didnt play in 2010 and did at the CC in 2011. does that make him a true soph next year or a redshirt soph? if he lost his redshirt due to greyshirt then that is anothet horrible reason to greyshirt.

NDSUstudent
01-29-2012, 07:32 PM
I think he would be a Sophmore....I'd lean towards a true Sophomore but I'm not a 100% sure on that.

SamsRams
01-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Can't you feel the love?

haha u shoulda seen me last night when i found it. i did my typical google search before i go to bed and that espn article pops up. i was thinking wow is that a misprint so i started searching more. i put together 3 posts and my damn fat thumbs hit wrong buttons on my phone and deleted them. i was so nervous yet happy that i found it it was hard to fall asleep. today i am very very happy.......thank you google

baseballfan7
01-29-2012, 08:02 PM
question for the greyshirt experts. deveon didnt play in 2010 and did at the CC in 2011. does that make him a true soph next year or a redshirt soph? if he lost his redshirt due to greyshirt then that is anothet horrible reason to greyshirt.

It looks like he did not actually go through with the greyshirt at Kansas State. He graduated high school in 2010 and signed with Kansas State on a greyshirt offer. However it looks like he instead went to Hutchinson CC instead and was set to play in 2010 before a knee injury, meaning he would have taken a redshirt season for 2010. He then played in 2011 and should be a redshirt sophomore next season here.

CAS4127
01-29-2012, 08:07 PM
Can u redshift at a CC?

baseballfan7
01-29-2012, 08:10 PM
Can u redshift at a CC?
Yes you can redshirt at a CC.

CaBisonFan
01-29-2012, 09:00 PM
According to the greyshirt rule...he would start his 5-year clock this coming fall. Does he lose a year by attending NDSU rather than K-State?

DjKyRo
01-29-2012, 09:02 PM
According to the greyshirt rule...he would start his 5-year clock this coming fall. Does he lose a year by attending NDSU rather than K-State?

He went the JUCO route, CA, and played a year on the field there (including his first year where he didn't set foot on the field). That means his eligibility isn't lost by coming to NDSU at the conclusion of his two years with his JUCO team. If he redshirted two years, it remains two years off his five-year maximum with the redshirt included. As I understand it he'd be entering NDSU as a redshirted-sophomore, so he'd have three years to play for us and can't redshirt.

KSBisonFan
01-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Remember that Flanders from SHSU was also a K-state commit at one time and will be a force for a couple more years.

BisonNolesFan77
01-30-2012, 03:01 AM

He will be a Redshirt Soph. next season, he has 3 years left to play. A greyshirt and a redshirt are very different things, a redshirt is your are a fulltime enrolled student, on scholarship or paying your own dime, your 5 years to play 4 years eligibility clock has started, you are a member of the team. A greyshirt is putting off your full time enrollment, since your eligibility clock doesn't start until you enroll full time, you go to school part time, pay your own dime, and are not a listed member of the team, this is for your 1st semester (Fall), spring semester you are enrolled fulltime, you scholarship kicks in, you play spring ball, and your scholarship doesn't count against the cap until spring.

BisonNolesFan77
01-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Can u redshift at a CC?

Yes you can redshirt at a JC...happens more often than you would think, most often when a recruit is a sign and place...allows the kid to still have 3 years of eligibility left when he transfers.

CaBisonFan
01-30-2012, 03:19 AM
He went the JUCO route, CA, and played a year on the field there (including his first year where he didn't set foot on the field). That means his eligibility isn't lost by coming to NDSU at the conclusion of his two years with his JUCO team. If he redshirted two years, it remains two years off his five-year maximum with the redshirt included. As I understand it he'd be entering NDSU as a redshirted-sophomore, so he'd have three years to play for us and can't redshirt. Thanks Dj. This kind of thing isn't exactly a strength of mine. Even if I read about it, sometimes it doesn't compute. So we've got him for 3 years if things work out. We need big talent & depth at RB. There's plenty of room. It would be great if one of the new guys could break out as a monster 'feature back.' A real horse, per se. Nothing against DJ, Ojuri, Paschall, Roehl, or anybody. They were all great...including a list of about 30 others we've had.

IMO...Ojuri broke out this past season. I hope that he works his ass off and gets a little stronger & quicker. No Sam...no championship...imo. He was the perfect changeup for DJ.

I'm starting to think that DJ could possibly find a home in the NFL. His receiving ability is special...and he can run between the tackles much better than his physique would indicate. He'll have to get stronger. I saw online (CBSSports.com...er something like that) that they rate him as the 36th best back in the draft. I'd put him higher because of his awesome pass catching & running ability after the catch. As someone else mentioned, a Chester Taylor (Vikes...right name?) type of back...but maybe better after the catch. Who knows...with the NFL being so damned quick & physical. I'm praying that DJ gets a shot with a team that will give him a real chance. I will never lose the video in my head of DJ running for the touchdown in the championship game. His running style is so damned exciting...kinda fancy...but still downhill. I've called it slithering. He slithers through holes, and then gets physical near the end of the run.

Anyway...I'm really excited about Deveon after watching his videos.

ISXBISON
01-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Since it is being reported in the Foolem...Was it an ESPN report or a Bisonville report:confused:

Hutchinson Community College running back Deveon Dinwiddie has verbally committed to the North Dakota State football team, according to an ESPN.com report.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/348956/group/homepage/

SamsRams
01-30-2012, 06:53 AM
Since it is being reported in the Foolem...Was it an ESPN report or a Bisonville report:confused:

Hutchinson Community College running back Deveon Dinwiddie has verbally committed to the North Dakota State football team, according to an ESPN.com report.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/348956/group/homepage/

its a espn report, but ur point is valid. without it being posted on BV, it would have never been noticed by fargo media

GradBison
01-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Welcome aboard Deveon!

Anybody got a count on broken ankles in that highlight vid? My Oh My. :eek:

goalpost
01-30-2012, 07:11 PM
He looked fantastic on his video !!!! wow what a get , he will play alot this year

HerdBot
01-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I'm excited. I think he's going to have as much skill as anyone. I mean how many guys are offered a scholarship at Kansas State!

Sam Ojuri, John Crockett, Devean Dinwiddie, Matt Jones, and for short yardage... Derrick Lang!

goalpost
01-30-2012, 07:17 PM
thats a GREAT line up

THEsocalledfan
01-30-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm excited. I think he's going to have as much skill as anyone. I mean how many guys are offered a scholarship at Kansas State!

Sam Ojuri, John Crockett, Devean Dinwiddie, Matt Jones, and for short yardage... Derrick Lang!

It will be great to see how Crockett looks in Spring Ball. If he pans out, and this kid is also good, I may no longer be terrified about RB next year. (I am very, very worried right now since we have zero proven big play ability RB's beyond Ojuri at this time. It takes two......)

goalpost
01-30-2012, 08:27 PM
someone will shine this year , and we might all be surprised . It happens every year.

SamsRams
01-30-2012, 08:42 PM
It will be great to see how Crockett looks in Spring Ball. If he pans out, and this kid is also good, I may no longer be terrified about RB next year. (I am very, very worried right now since we have zero proven big play ability RB's beyond Ojuri at this time. It takes two......)
i dont believe crockett will be ready for spring ball

BisonNeil
01-30-2012, 09:25 PM
i dont believe crockett will be ready for spring ball
The way I understand it in regaining academic eligibility, I think you are right.

SamsRams
01-30-2012, 09:30 PM
The way I understand it in regaining academic eligibility, I think you are right.

Yep, but I wouldnt be surprised if he did play spring ball.

rutlandbison
01-31-2012, 12:27 PM
I hope Matt Jones can come shake things up.

CaBisonFan
02-02-2012, 07:18 AM

Remember when Kyle Steffes finished up in 2006? They said, Tyler Roehl will be a RB, and there was real doubt.

THEsocalledfan
02-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Remember when Kyle Steffes finished up in 2006? They said, Tyler Roehl will be a RB, and there was real doubt.

Izzo in the media blog today was very opinionated saying he is of the opinion Bohl must think Crockett will be ready for Fall camp. I hope he is right.

Kermit
02-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Izzo in the media blog today was very opinionated saying he is of the opinion Bohl must think Crockett will be ready for Fall camp. I hope he is right.

Izzo is absolutely right that the coaching staff thinks Crockett will be good to go in the fall. The question isn't whether Izzo is right--he's just reporting what he is hearing. The question is whether the staff is right. Their optimism is based on what they are seeing first hand and what they are hearing from the academic and compliance people. When Crockett comes up in conversation, it is impossible to miss the excitement in the staff's voices and body language. They obviously think he is a big time talent.

Mr. Burgundy
02-02-2012, 02:16 PM
http://www.hutchnews.com/Juco/dinwiddie-signs-with-ndsu

Sorry if this has been posted. First time I have been online today. Found this and got excited.

CAS4127
02-02-2012, 02:29 PM

Sorry if this has been posted. First time I have been online today. Found this and got excited.

Must be some technicalities and hoops to finalize/jump through, just as Izzo hinted at on the 10:00 p.m. sports last night.

Let's hope so . . . . . . . . . .

Bison"FANatic"
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
That is great to see.

It will be interesting to see how good of a returner he will be. He was stuck behind the top JUCO WR in the nation Cordarrelle Patterson who put up great return yardage (led nation with 51.1 yards per return) last year for Hutchinson.

Kermit
02-02-2012, 02:33 PM

Good find. I think all signs point to an NCAA compliance issue that is preventing NDSU from talking publicly about this recruit. One possibility (this is a wild guess) is it could be related to his previous NLI. As I understand it, Deveon signed an NLI with Kansas State while a senior in high school. He never enrolled at KSU, but went the juco route instead. I read quite a bit about NLI's yesterday. Apparently, if a kid signs an NLI, but goes juco instead, they can sign a second NLI, but only during the year they will graduate from juco. The second NLI becomes valid only upon graduation from juco. If he doesn't graduate, his original NLI with KSU may still be valid. Maybe he signed an NLI yesterday, but the NDSU compliance people advised the staff not to talk about it until he graduates and it becomes valid. Again, just a guess.

Edit: it could also just be a matter of verifying his academic credentials as is done with any transfer student.

THEsocalledfan
02-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Izzo is absolutely right that the coaching staff thinks Crockett will be good to go in the fall. The question isn't whether Izzo is right--he's just reporting what he is hearing. The question is whether the staff is right. Their optimism is based on what they are seeing first hand and what they are hearing from the academic and compliance people. When Crockett comes up in conversation, it is impossible to miss the excitement in the staff's voices and body language. They obviously think he is a big time talent.

Agreed. Certainly did not mean to imply he is making it up; more alluding to it is not the kind of thing you can or will write in the newspaper without very careful wording. Those guys clearly take more liberties in the blog just like we do here.

Kermit
02-02-2012, 02:45 PM
Agreed. Certainly did not mean to imply he is making it up; more alluding to it is not the kind of thing you can or will write in the newspaper without very careful wording. Those guys clearly take more liberties in the blog just like we do here.

Got it. I agree, they tend to put thing on the blog that they might not put in the newspaper or on TV. And I'm glad they do. :)

THEsocalledfan
02-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Got it. I agree, they tend to put thing on the blog that they might not put in the newspaper or on TV. And I'm glad they do. :)

Very much agree again. I get more out of their blog posts than about anything else they do.

BisonNeil
02-02-2012, 05:17 PM

Good one, thanks. My favorite line:

North Dakota State also famously started - and arguably ended - the Turner Gill era at Kansas with a 6-3 win in 2010.

EndZoneQB
02-02-2012, 06:38 PM

Very much agree again. I get more out of their blog posts than about anything else they do.

Exactly. Leave the paper for the folks that don't "get" it. The blog is good for free flowing ideas and personal thoughts/opinions not necessarily for everyone's digestion. I just enjoy unfiltered content from them since they have a reason to call coaches/players and ask questions. If I started doing it, I'd probably get the boot very quickly haha.

westnodak93bison
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm wondering why we don't know exactly what happened? Is it wrong for a reporter to call Deveon and ask for more details? I can't be the only one who is curious.

coloradobison
02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I sent an email to the reporter who did the story on Deveon's signing with NDSU - no response yet. If I get one I'll pass along any details.

BisonNeil
02-03-2012, 05:33 PM
Doesn't matter anymore, it's official, Deveon is a Bison.

I suspect Kermit (?) was correct and it was a issue with his previous LOI from KSU. Regardless, I am a happy man :)

coloradobison
02-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Official where?

I was the first to post the question about his previous LOI I think, but anyways.

X-Factor
02-04-2012, 02:00 PM

I suspect Kermit (?) was correct and it was a issue with his previous LOI from KSU. Regardless, I am a happy man :)

Do we use this talent on special teams? In all likelihood, we have 4 rb's with starter capability and an excellent backup when fall camp begins. In that scenario i dont think that we have been deeper at rb since going DI, and certainly nowhere near that much talent, as i think ojuri all by himself is the most talented ndsu back since gordon.
In the best scenario three of the four may see time in the offensive backfield (over next two years as ojuri is only junior this fall)

westnodak93bison
02-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Do we use this talent on special teams? In all likelihood, we have 4 rb's with starter capability and an excellent backup when fall camp begins. In that scenario i dont think that we have been deeper at rb since going DI, and certainly nowhere near that much talent, as i think ojuri all by himself is the most talented ndsu back since gordon.
In the best scenario three of the four may see time in the offensive backfield (over next two years as ojuri is only junior this fall)

They will all get a shot to compete. There will be some amazing competition at several positions.

BisonNeil
02-04-2012, 03:14 PM

I do see Deveon contributing on kick off returns, maybe even punt returns. He seems to have the ability to make people miss and I thought he had good vision to find the crease.

As far as depth, I think NDSU didn't quite have the depth they needed this past year. DJ was really hurting for much of the middle of the season with his foot injury. If we would have had Hudson or Sigers, I think they would have gotten a lot of snaps during that time so that DJ could heal up faster.

I really think a 3 back rotation is realistic for the Bison next fall keeping everyone fresh. If Crockett comes back, and that definitely seems more and more like a possibility after Bohl mentioned him in his presser, he and Ojuri will get the bulk of the snaps, obviously. But I really think there will be a lot of competition between Dinwiddie and Jones to see who gets those quality third back snaps and my guess is the one who picks up the pass-blocking or shows the best hands to catch passes out of the backfield will get 'em.

Should be fun times.

Putz
02-04-2012, 04:09 PM

This is good news. Looks to be a good talent. I agree with some of the other posts, we will have lots of talent in the backfield. It will be exciting to see how they all compete.

westnodak93bison
02-04-2012, 04:13 PM

I can't seem to find anything to confirm this is "official". Where is the confirmation from the source that matters...NDSU?

EndZoneQB
02-04-2012, 04:14 PM
I do see Deveon contributing on kick off returns, maybe even punt returns. He seems to have the ability to make people miss and I thought he had good vision to find the crease.

As far as depth, I think NDSU didn't quite have the depth they needed this past year. DJ was really hurting for much of the middle of the season with his foot injury. If we would have had Hudson or Sigers, I think they would have gotten a lot of snaps during that time so that DJ could heal up faster.

I really think a 3 back rotation is realistic for the Bison next fall keeping everyone fresh. If Crockett comes back, and that definitely seems more and more like a possibility after Bohl mentioned him in his presser, he and Ojuri will get the bulk of the snaps, obviously. But I really think there will be a lot of competition between Dinwiddie and Jones to see who gets those quality third back snaps and my guess is the one who picks up the pass-blocking or shows the best hands to catch passes out of the backfield will get 'em.

Should be fun times.

I just can't believe we have 4 RB's that had FBS offers, 3 of which had BCS offers(well, Crockett never DID receive it, but we know why, like Marcus). We have quite a bit of talent back there.

Mr. Burgundy
02-04-2012, 04:18 PM
I really like the depth we have coming. Can't wait until Deveon Dinwiddie is announced. It will be more news and another jolt to our awesome class when it is all finalized.
I agree with Neil, we need depth. With Ojuri we have a proven young back with 2 years to play. Matt Jones apparently was a star in a scrimmage the team had prior to the National Title game, and has 4 years left. I expect him to be the real deal based on what I saw last year, but we are in no rush to get him 15 carries a night. A good program has a kid come in, wait his turn, just like Tyler and Pat had to do. He will be ready when it is his time. Crockett hasn't played in a while, but like Polasek stated, he is the biggest recruit we have had in the last 3 years. Shake off the rust and see what he can provide. Finally we have the short yarded smashmouth RB that just produces every time we need him in Lang. The basis for my post is to make note that we are YOUNG at RB.....and with a VERY SMALL # of scholarships to be offered next year, if these 4 kids remain healthy (and eligible) we may not need to get a RB next year if we do in fact finalize Dinwiddie. That could be the same case at QB as we will still have 5 QB's on the roster. That is huge when you have a small # of scholarships to offer. I am with Neil, it is great to get a RB/QB each year, but with a small class, we have to be selective and we may have a year where we can't put money into a position. Similar to the Tight End Spot where we got Arp, but stated this was not a year in which we would put money into that spot.

SDbison
02-04-2012, 05:26 PM
I agree Burgundy......the Bison could really end up being in great shape at RB and QB for the next several years if all the recruited players stick around, develop well and avoid serious injuries.

Lots of ifs, but I like what I see..........those that stay will be champions!

BisonNeil
02-05-2012, 04:47 PM
I really like the depth we have coming. Can't wait until Deveon Dinwiddie is announced. It will be more news and another jolt to our awesome class when it is all finalized.
I agree with Neil, we need depth. With Ojuri we have a proven young back with 2 years to play. Matt Jones apparently was a star in a scrimmage the team had prior to the National Title game, and has 4 years left. I expect him to be the real deal based on what I saw last year, but we are in no rush to get him 15 carries a night. A good program has a kid come in, wait his turn, just like Tyler and Pat had to do. He will be ready when it is his time. Crockett hasn't played in a while, but like Polasek stated, he is the biggest recruit we have had in the last 3 years. Shake off the rust and see what he can provide. Finally we have the short yarded smashmouth RB that just produces every time we need him in Lang. The basis for my post is to make note that we are YOUNG at RB.....and with a VERY SMALL # of scholarships to be offered next year, if these 4 kids remain healthy (and eligible) we may not need to get a RB next year if we do in fact finalize Dinwiddie. That could be the same case at QB as we will still have 5 QB's on the roster. That is huge when you have a small # of scholarships to offer. I am with Neil, it is great to get a RB/QB each year, but with a small class, we have to be selective and we may have a year where we can't put money into a position. Similar to the Tight End Spot where we got Arp, but stated this was not a year in which we would put money into that spot.

Dom had it on last Thursday night sports with a nice little video. Don't know if this counts as an "announcement" or not. Perhaps you are waiting for NDSUs announcement?

http://www.wday.com/event/tag/tag/Bison/

If you scroll down the videos, you will see one on Deveon Dinwiddie. It's good enough for me!!

BisonNeil
02-05-2012, 05:04 PM
and with a VERY SMALL # of scholarships to be offered next year, if these 4 kids remain healthy (and eligible) we may not need to get a RB next year if we do in fact finalize Dinwiddie. That could be the same case at QB as we will still have 5 QB's on the roster. That is huge when you have a small # of scholarships to offer. I am with Neil, it is great to get a RB/QB each year, but with a small class, we have to be selective and we may have a year where we can't put money into a position. Similar to the Tight End Spot where we got Arp, but stated this was not a year in which we would put money into that spot.

You make a really good point here Burg, one worthy of discussion I think.

In the last two classes, the Bison have added players to these positions:

Offense
WR- 6 (2 PWO)
QB- 2
OL- 7 (2 PWO)
TE- 3 (1 PWO)
RB- 2 (assumes Dinwiddie)
FB-2

Defense
DE- 2
DT- 4
LB- 6 (1 PWO)
CB- 2
S- 4

P-1

Don't know how many scholarships next year, probably only 8-9 graduating on scholarship, there may be others who leave the team. But, from this list it appears DE and CB will have to be a priority. Bohl says they want a QB every year, but with the log jam one has to wonder if that will be a reality next year. I could also see a K, and one can never have too many OL or LB which can be moved to DE, such as Emanuel was.

Thoughts?

EndZoneQB
02-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Dom had it on last Thursday night sports with a nice little video. Don't know if this counts as an "announcement" or not. Perhaps you are waiting for NDSUs announcement?

http://www.wday.com/event/tag/tag/Bison/

If you scroll down the videos, you will see one on Deveon Dinwiddie. It's good enough for me!!

Hearing it from his brother is enough for me.

jarhead
02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
Ordinarily I agree with Burg on pretty much everything, but on the RB situation I'm going to disagree. If we don't recruit a RB until 2014, that recruit comes in with Sam
graduated, John and Deveon with only one year of eligibility left and Matt with 2 years left. If he redshirts, he becomes the 2nd RB in 2015 behind Matt, who is a senior.
The next year, he is a sophomore starter who is teamed at RB with a RFr RB and no depth. Having Deveon come in with 3 yrs.left and no freshman recruit already puts usa year behind. I think we need one next year, if my math is right.

Mr. Burgundy
02-05-2012, 08:33 PM
All depends on how much scholly money Bohl wants to put at the tailback position. If these guys are all eligible and healthy, and we don't graduate anyone, we may skip it, or as we did this year and shoot for the stars and hope to get a Dinwiddie, Brathwaite, Horne, etc. We will clearly by out there and if we can get a stud, my guess is we do it. Just saying that with 63 scholarships available, we can't have too many tied up at the QB/RB spot. I personally hope we take a year off at the QB spot this next year. Class is going to be tiny and we are really deep at that spot right now, and don't graduate anyone.

Spring Ball will be fun. Interesting to see how the freshman look. There was alot of talent in that class, and damn near all of them redshirted. I am excited to see Bonnet at DE. The stories I heard about him are pretty awesome. He is a beast. WHich makes sense, we are pretty deep at FB and can use more depth at DE. Also going to be fun to watch the skill position talent and how they did while redshirting. Matt Jones, the QB's, Okland, and maybe the safeties like Sonnenfeld and Veldman.

BisonNeil
02-05-2012, 08:38 PM
All depends on how much scholly money Bohl wants to put at the tailback position. If these guys are all eligible and healthy, and we don't graduate anyone, we may skip it, or as we did this year and shoot for the stars and hope to get a Dinwiddie, Brathwaite, Horne, etc. We will clearly by out there and if we can get a stud, my guess is we do it. Just saying that with 63 scholarships available, we can't have too many tied up at the QB/RB spot. I personally hope we take a year off at the QB spot this next year. Class is going to be tiny and we are really deep at that spot right now, and don't graduate anyone.

Spring Ball will be fun. Interesting to see how the freshman look. There was alot of talent in that class, and damn near all of them redshirted. I am excited to see Bonnet at DE. The stories I heard about him are pretty awesome. He is a beast. WHich makes sense, we are pretty deep at FB and can use more depth at DE. Also going to be fun to watch the skill position talent and how they did while redshirting. Matt Jones, the QB's, Okland, and maybe the safeties like Sonnenfeld and Veldman.

See now, I always learn something from you Burg :D

I didn't know Bonnet had been moved from FB to DE. I always thought he was tall for a FB but thought maybe they would use him more as a hybrid H-back/FB/TE. He is still listed as a FB on the roster.

Mr. Burgundy
02-05-2012, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't say he was officially moved "yet" but, I was told he was a "freak of nature" and was having a VERY IMPRESSIVE redshirt year. This was also being said about the time we were trying to close on recruiting, and not going after many DE's. So, it will depend, but based on depth charts, it would appear we are doing pretty good at FB and we will have some room at DE to get some reps if in fact he is the beast they have told me. It sure sounded probable, but nothing I would call official.

westnodak93bison
02-07-2012, 03:09 AM
Someone over on the forum blog claims Dinwiddie will be here within the week. If that is true what can he do with the team assuming the paper work stuff is sorted out?

johnnygolf5
02-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Someone over on the forum blog claims Dinwiddie will be here within the week. If that is true what can he do with the team assuming the paper work stuff is sorted out?

Deveon is coming on Thursday for his official visit. Plan is to move up in June when he graduates Juco. He is committing to NDSU and truly looking forward to it. As far as the concerns of him being a 3rd down back or a change up back, he is very much capable of carrying the ball over 20 times a game. He also has excellent hands as a receiver. The reason he didn't have many receptions last year was due to the talented receivers that Hutch Juco possessed. His high school stats will show his true receiving abilities. To reiterate what someone posted earlier, a back with his speed and quickness tends to avoid the direct hits that many other backs receive. Unlike Hutch Juco, I hope NDSU gives him the opportunity to really shine in an area that I feel is a strong point for him-returning punts and kickoffs. Look forward to watching the boys in the dome. Bison fans are awesome. Really enjoyed the opportunity to visit with many of them at Frisco this year.

DjKyRo
02-07-2012, 08:26 PM
Deveon is coming on Thursday for his official visit. Plan is to move up in June when he graduates Juco. He is committing to NDSU and truly looking forward to it. As far as the concerns of him being a 3rd down back or a change up back, he is very much capable of carrying the ball over 20 times a game. He also has excellent hands as a receiver. The reason he didn't have many receptions last year was due to the talented receivers that Hutch Juco possessed. His high school stats will show his true receiving abilities. To reiterate what someone posted earlier, a back with his speed and quickness tends to avoid the direct hits that many other backs receive. Unlike Hutch Juco, I hope NDSU gives him the opportunity to really shine in an area that I feel is a strong point for him-returning punts and kickoffs. Look forward to watching the boys in the dome. Bison fans are awesome. Really enjoyed the opportunity to visit with many of them at Frisco this year.

Thanks for the post/info! Don't be a stranger.

jarhead
02-07-2012, 08:47 PM
Sounds like Deveon could take some of the slot pressure off of Ryan Smith. I am looking forward to seeing him and perhaps DeSean Warren returning kicks also, although I have no idea
what the coaches thinking is.

Kermit
02-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Sounds like Deveon could take some of the slot pressure off of Ryan Smith. I am looking forward to seeing him and perhaps DeSean Warren returning kicks also, although I have no idea
what the coaches thinking is.

My guess is they are going to wait and see how healthy Warren is. He is coming off ACL surgery and he is also pretty small. I would be a little surprised if he doesn't redshirt.

Dinwiddie could be a good replacement for Mike Sigers, but with better hands. I think Marcus Brantley is another kid who could get a shot at returning kicks right away.

Kermit
02-07-2012, 09:18 PM
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2012/02/07/deveon-dinwiddie/

Dinwiddie will visit, but he doesn't have an offer, yet...

EmbdenBison
02-08-2012, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the post. I am very happy that the Dinwiddie brothers are Bison!

HerdBot
02-08-2012, 01:52 AM
Does anyone have a video highlight link for Devean, cant find

SamsRams
02-08-2012, 01:56 AM

Haha......seriously? You could try the orginal post in this thread for one

bri-dog
02-08-2012, 01:57 AM

My Mac (work computer) won't let me watch them, but I think they're here:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/536090/deveon-dinwiddie

HerdBot
02-08-2012, 03:22 AM
My Mac (work computer) won't let me watch them, but I think they're here:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/536090/deveon-dinwiddie

Thanks. Looks quick. Quick feet. Not as fast as I was expecting (no chance he runs a 4.4) but with the crap quality of the tape it's tough to see. He's not Sigers quick but he is much more physical and a more compete back since he is a good receiver. But in all fairness, Junior College is a much higher level of competition than high school. Should be a very good back. They say blown out knees tyically take 2 years to heal fully. Next year will be 2 years. I'm glad he's a 3 year back and with his brother, they should hopefully make each other better.

johnnygolf5
02-08-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks. Looks quick. Quick feet. Not as fast as I was expecting (no chance he runs a 4.4) but with the crap quality of the tape it's tough to see. He's not Sigers quick but he is much more physical and a more compete back since he is a good receiver. But in all fairness, Junior College is a much higher level of competition than high school. Should be a very good back. They say blown out knees tyically take 2 years to heal fully. Next year will be 2 years. I'm glad he's a 3 year back and with his brother, they should hopefully make each other better.

Just to make sure the facts are straight and no unnecessary rumors get started, Deveon's knee was not blown out. He redshirted his freshman year on the advice from the doctor to prevent that very thing from happening. No surgery was ever done. Just physical therapy and exercise. As far as his 40 time, he has been clocked electronically under 4.4 numerous time. I believe his best electronically timed 40 was last year at 4.34. I think he can and will be a wonderful asset to the Bison nation. Thanks for all the wonderful comments and I look forward to sharing more with everyone.

Bison"FANatic"
02-08-2012, 03:00 PM
Not to be a stickler but He has not signed with NDSU yet and many on here are boosters of NDSU so be careful with talking with someone close to a recruit till the paper is signed even if it "appears" to be a done deal. I would hate to get us in trouble and when you are on top many people look for the littlest things to knock you off the pedestal.

jarhead
02-08-2012, 03:01 PM
He's quick through the hole and quick out of his cuts. I'm excited to have him.

HerdBot
02-08-2012, 03:58 PM
Just to make sure the facts are straight and no unnecessary rumors get started, Deveon's knee was not blown out. He redshirted his freshman year on the advice from the doctor to prevent that very thing from happening. No surgery was ever done. Just physical therapy and exercise. As far as his 40 time, he has been clocked electronically under 4.4 numerous time. I believe his best electronically timed 40 was last year at 4.34. I think he can and will be a wonderful asset to the Bison nation. Thanks for all the wonderful comments and I look forward to sharing more with everyone.

Good info on his knee. As everyone knows Im big on 40 times but there is absolutely no way he runs a 4.34. That woud be approaching one of the top 20 times in NFL combine history at all positions. If he did, he would be at Oregon or USC or would have had offers galore . http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

The thing is, a high 4.4 or 4.5 is much faster than most people realize and its the agility and shiftiness that counts.

I hope we offer. He looks like a good player and with training he can get faster. Hes fast enough

EndZoneQB
02-08-2012, 05:34 PM
Good info on his knee. As everyone knows Im big on 40 times but there is absolutely no way he runs a 4.34. That woud be approaching one of the top 20 times in NFL combine history at all positions. If he did, he would be at Oregon or USC or would have had offers galore . http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

The thing is, a high 4.4 or 4.5 is much faster than most people realize and its the agility and shiftiness that counts.

I hope we offer. He looks like a good player and with training he can get faster. Hes fast enough

Believe it or not gabe, schools don't recruit a kid just because he runs a fast 40.

HerdBot
02-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Believe it or not gabe, schools don't recruit a kid just because he runs a fast 40.

Jimmy Johnson once said he would sign Charles Manson if he ran a 4.4! :) But this kid is a good running back. Im just saying if he really runs a 4.35, he wouldn't be coming here.

bri-dog
02-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Jimmy Johnson once said he would sign Charles Manson if he ran a 4.4! :) But this kid is a good running back. Im just saying if he really runs a 4.35, he wouldn't be coming here.

Charles wasn't known for his straight-line speed, he was known for his cutting ability.

Okay, that was bad...

johnnygolf5
02-08-2012, 07:00 PM

After being further enlightened, I would like to correct the facts for you all on Deveon's 40 time. Because they did not electronically time their 40's while at Hutch Juco, his last electronically timed 40 was actually the end of his senior year at Hutch High and they were 4.39, 4.38, & 4.39 respectively. At Hutch Juco, he was hand timed at 4.42.

HerdBot
02-08-2012, 07:21 PM
After being further enlightened, I would like to correct the facts for you all on Deveon's 40 time. Because they did not electronically time their 40's while at Hutch Juco, his last electronically timed 40 was actually the end of his senior year at Hutch High and they were 4.39, 4.38, & 4.39 respectively. At Hutch Juco, he was hand timed at 4.42.

Hope they are accurate because he would be the fastest running back in Bison history. Although I think electric times they use in high school and college are not quite the same as the NFL combine where I think they use lasers which seems to slow down times. I could be wrong. I hope Im wrong. I think we can agree hw looks fast

jarhead
02-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Charles wasn't known for his straight-line speed, he was known for his cutting ability.

Okay, that was bad...

One of the best posts I've ever seen, speaking of quick.

Loud and Proud Bison fan
02-08-2012, 09:22 PM
I am not much on 40 times, but I have watched some of the videos on the Deveon and he looks great! I really hope to see him in the Bison uniform soon :D

EndZoneQB
02-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Hope they are accurate because he would be the fastest running back in Bison history. Although I think electric times they use in high school and college are not quite the same as the NFL combine where I think they use lasers which seems to slow down times. I could be wrong. I hope Im wrong. I think we can agree hw looks fast

We had laser timed 40's when I was in HS.*

*We also had laser timed 40 yard dashes...

AjaxTheMighty
02-08-2012, 10:09 PM
Speed isn't a lot of help when reading defenses, finding a hole, using blockers, and catching passes. Speed is overrated. You have to be able to outrun 11 guys, not just one if speed is going to be of any use. I'll take a big durable bruiser who can grind out a clock, wear down a defense, and get first downs/endzones, over 'teh crazy speed' any day of the week.

westnodak93bison
02-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Speed isn't a lot of help when reading defenses, finding a hole, using blockers, and catching passes. Speed is overrated. You have to be able to outrun 11 guys, not just one if speed is going to be of any use. I'll take a big durable bruiser who can grind out a clock, wear down a defense, and get first downs/endzones, over 'teh crazy speed' any day of the week.

The Bison will have several backs with different styles.

AjaxTheMighty
02-09-2012, 02:31 AM
The Bison will have several backs with different styles.

This will make us dangerous once again.

Fightin' Bison
02-09-2012, 03:40 AM

Thank God you're not in charge of recruiting. How exactly is a coach supposed to evaluate a running back's ability to read defenses when they are playing 9 man or 11 man against rural ND competition, or urban Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha competition? You can't because your prospects are playing against huge disparities in competition level. You know who looks really good reading defenses? Kids who run really fast. And, 4.5 is the same whether you play 9 man or AAAA in Kansas City. Speed, size, strength can be measured objectively. Reading defenses well in high school? How good you look doing that depends a lot on who you are playing. I will take big and fast over slow, bruising and reads defenses well, whatever that means to a running back.

HerdBot
02-09-2012, 05:24 AM

99% of good teams have backs that read defense and do everything on your list well. The difference is they are all fast. Every team we faced in the playoffs had fast running backs. What shut them down? Speed on defense. Our linebacker's and safties won with speed while the d line won with size. 40 times don't win games but playing fast does

TransAmBison
02-09-2012, 05:18 PM
Thank God you're not in charge of recruiting. How exactly is a coach supposed to evaluate a running back's ability to read defenses when they are playing 9 man or 11 man against rural ND competition, or urban Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha competition? You can't because your prospects are playing against huge disparities in competition level. You know who looks really good reading defenses? Kids who run really fast. And, 4.5 is the same whether you play 9 man or AAAA in Kansas City. Speed, size, strength can be measured objectively. Reading defenses well in high school? How good you look doing that depends a lot on who you are playing. I will take big and fast over slow, bruising and reads defenses well, whatever that means to a running back.Does Bisonville look like a punchbowl for you to swim in?

EndZoneQB
02-09-2012, 05:46 PM
40 times don't win games

So which is it?? Are 40times important or aren't they?? lol

Fightin' Bison
02-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Does Bisonville look like a punchbowl for you to swim in?

No, but your mom does.

TransAmBison
02-09-2012, 05:51 PM
No, but your mom does.If you can afford her good for you.

56BISON73
02-09-2012, 06:04 PM

I think he said it was the 5 cone drill.

HerdBot
02-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Lets recap since my quote ia being taken out of context

All Im saying is there is no chance he runs a 4.35. I said high 4.4 or 4.5 is actually fast. I disagreed with the poster who said speed ia overrated. Orherwise Lang would play a ton and possibly start becausw he iis a bruiser. Obviously if a guy can be quick and a good player fundamental can make up for lack of speed but as a whole, every good team has fast backs that are fundamentally sound. Thats how D1 football is. Speed is what set our defense apart. You seem to think he does run a 4.35 but said teams dont recruit only on 40 times. So are you saying he has many other issues? I dont think we even disagree actually. I jusy dont believe he runs a 4.35 and you do

Grizzled
02-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I actually agree with Gabe on this one. Speed is coveted in college sports and is something that is exaggerated by high school athletes. Gabe isn't saying Dinwiddie isn't fast, he's saying if he was a sub 4.4 guy he would not be at NDSU. Dee Gray is another example. I remember reading in Kolpack's or Izzo's write up about him that his 200 m time was somewhere around a 20.6 or 20.8. Well, that would have put him in the top 5 in the country last year and easily the fastest in Illinois. I don't even believe he was a state qualifier. That doesn't mean he isn't fast with pads on or take anything away from him as a player, but the big schools would absolutely covet a 6.4" physical WR who was one of the fastest guys in the country. He had offers from a few MVFC schools. I am not or Gabe is not knocking either of these players, its just speed can be a little exaggerated.

Bisondan
02-09-2012, 09:39 PM

:facepalm:

If it is a "fast" 40 time it matters. If it is a "slow" 40 time it doesn't matter.

Duh

jarhead
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
I had a '64 Vette that was pretty fast but it never ran the 40.

56BISON73
02-09-2012, 10:28 PM
So whats up with Dinwiddie? I thought he was a lock? Any updates?

SDbison
02-09-2012, 10:39 PM
So whats up with Dinwiddie? I thought he was a lock? Any updates? Seriously?

56BISON73
02-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Seriously?

Last I heard he was supposed to be on campus wed but was going to finish up his year at juco. I have looked at numerous threads but no confirmation. Obviously Ive missed something?

tony
02-09-2012, 11:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Bradwell

Can you spot the Deveon Dinwiddie reference in the wiki article?

EndZoneQB
02-09-2012, 11:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Bradwell

Can you spot the Deveon Dinwiddie reference in the wiki article?

Ctrl + F kind of takes the fun out of it. But, if you go to one of the references, you can see that Deshawn was also a participant and did pretty well himself.

Bisondan
02-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Ctrl + F kind of takes the fun out of it.

You must be a blast at a party

EndZoneQB
02-10-2012, 12:37 AM
You must be a blast at a party

I am, thanks. Ask around.

johnnygolf5
02-10-2012, 02:44 AM
Last I heard he was supposed to be on campus wed but was going to finish up his year at juco. I have looked at numerous threads but no confirmation. Obviously Ive missed something?

He is flying there for his "official visit" this weekend. Should be there shortly. He is looking forward to becoming a Bison as am I. The opportunity to play for Coach Bohl would be a great honor. Go Bison.

56BISON73
02-10-2012, 02:52 AM
He is flying there for his "official visit" this weekend. Should be there shortly. He is looking forward to becoming a Bison as am I. The opportunity to play for Coach Bohl would be a great honor. Go Bison.

You are going to be playing for the Bison?

johnnygolf5
02-10-2012, 01:44 PM
You are going to be playing for the Bison?

I'm looking forward to him becoming a Bison player with Deshawn. I'm way too old for that. I'll stick with golf.

AjaxTheMighty
02-11-2012, 01:44 AM
Thank God you're not in charge of recruiting. How exactly is a coach supposed to evaluate a running back's ability to read defenses when they are playing 9 man or 11 man against rural ND competition, or urban Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Omaha competition? You can't because your prospects are playing against huge disparities in competition level. You know who looks really good reading defenses? Kids who run really fast. And, 4.5 is the same whether you play 9 man or AAAA in Kansas City. Speed, size, strength can be measured objectively. Reading defenses well in high school? How good you look doing that depends a lot on who you are playing. I will take big and fast over slow, bruising and reads defenses well, whatever that means to a running back.

Oh your so smart, yeah, I'll take that slow bruiser. You invent BS and put it in my mouth to look smart. You don't have to be a jackass when you post something on here.

I'm not saying speed isn't a good quality to have, but to you and others, you act like it's the only thing. The first question is 'what's his 40 time.?' Most likely you would suck at recruiting as much as I would. Look at the lineage of great backs in Bison history. Which ones have that blinding speed you so cavalierly boast about?? Satter wasn't a speedster, neither was Steffes, or Roehl, or Paschall, or Dj. I'm not sure about Lamar's 40 time, but he had incredible vision. Dj and Sam are not blazing fast and they both are national champs. I want winners. You want speed. I guess we'll differ there. Oh and for as good and fast as Taiwan Jones was, they won playoff games without that 'crazy UND speed'. Believe it or not you really CAN win without it. Ask DJ! KAPOW!

CAS4127
02-11-2012, 04:27 AM
Ajax: the Satter reference was one that I thought of bringing up. He would have kicked ass for us this year. Vision and being able to cut on a dime will carry the day and ball in most field environments. Plus, u can see it on film, but try to emulate it in practice-->it is just different!

HerdBot
02-11-2012, 05:26 PM

Lakes posted on the Bison Media Blog that it's a done deal. Take it for what it's worth.

BisonNeil
02-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Lakes posted on the Bison Media Blog that it's a done deal. Take it for what it's worth.

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000

BisonNolesFan77
02-11-2012, 05:55 PM
99% of good teams have backs that read defense and do everything on your list well. The difference is they are all fast. Every team we faced in the playoffs had fast running backs. What shut them down? Speed on defense. Our linebacker's and safties won with speed while the d line won with size. 40 times don't win games but playing fast does

Just because you are fast doesn't mean you play fast. So many other things...physical and mental...go into playing the game fast. You could put a CB out there who is a world class sprinter, but if he can't flip his hips and run, can't get out of a cut, doesn't know the scheme he is playing in he sure as hell ain't gonna play football with sprinter speed.

NDSUFan_Sav
02-11-2012, 06:00 PM
I'd be shocked if he isn't at NDSU next fall.

tjbison
02-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I'd be shocked if he isn't at NDSU next fall.

me too, no way he isnt here to sign the papers

BisonNeil
02-11-2012, 10:00 PM
me too, no way he isnt here to sign the papers

What if NDSU doesn't offer a scholarship? Still think he comes?

Bison"FANatic"
02-11-2012, 10:53 PM
He will be here, no need to worry. Hopefully he signs soon and it is made public so we can hear more about him on here from people close to him.

JSUBison
02-11-2012, 11:10 PM

Does he have THE TEXT?

tjbison
02-11-2012, 11:32 PM
What if NDSU doesn't offer a scholarship? Still think he comes?

I would suspect they have probably told him to come visit and if he likes it they will offer, but I have no clue just speculation

AjaxTheMighty
02-12-2012, 01:58 AM
Just because you are fast doesn't mean you play fast. So many other things...physical and mental...go into playing the game fast. You could put a CB out there who is a world class sprinter, but if he can't flip his hips and run, can't get out of a cut, doesn't know the scheme he is playing in he sure as hell ain't gonna play football with sprinter speed.

Amen! Speed is great, but it isn't the only tool to drool over. I am friends with a coach on an area college team. He does some of his own scouting/recruiting because it's a smaller school. When I asked him a couple of summers ago, what is the number one thing they look for in a player? He said, character, then brains (which he also said is the most coveted commodity in the game top to bottom). He never even mentioned "teh crazy speed". You know why? Because like you said a world class sprinter needs to be able to play fast, not just BE fast! Fast runners are a dime a dozen, like good singers. You hear how 4.4 is world class. It's blazing fast, but if it was world class they would be wearing an olympic medal.

Fightin' Bison
02-12-2012, 04:18 AM
Amen! Speed is great, but it isn't the only tool to drool over. I am friends with a coach on an area college team. He does some of his own scouting/recruiting because it's a smaller school. When I asked him a couple of summers ago, what is the number one thing they look for in a player? He said, character, then brains (which he also said is the most coveted commodity in the game top to bottom). He never even mentioned "teh crazy speed". You know why? Because like you said a world class sprinter needs to be able to play fast, not just BE fast! Fast runners are a dime a dozen, like good singers. You hear how 4.4 is world class. It's blazing fast, but if it was world class they would be wearing an olympic medal.

Can't argue with that. I think we can all agree that there's a very strong correlation between valedictorian, eagle scouts and D1 running back recruits.

AjaxTheMighty
02-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Can't argue with that. I think we can all agree that there's a very strong correlation between valedictorian, eagle scouts and D1 running back recruits.

I like the valedictorian/eagle scout reference.

HerdBot
02-13-2012, 03:41 AM

Uh, thats what I was saying all along.

johnnygolf5
02-16-2012, 08:16 PM
He will be here, no need to worry. Hopefully he signs soon and it is made public so we can hear more about him on here from people close to him.

Deveon has officially signed his NLI and faxed it to Coach Bohl today. He plans on being there in June after he graduates Juco.

CAS4127
02-16-2012, 08:17 PM
:cheers::judges::bunnyb::bowdown::welcome:
Deveon has officially signed his NLI and faxed it to Coach Bohl today. He plans on being there in June after he graduates Juco.

KSBisonFan
02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
That's awesome! Welcome to the Herd, Daveon!

HerdBot
02-16-2012, 08:29 PM

Awesome. Now if Crockett can take care of business we will have a 3 headed monster at running back.

Superfan
02-16-2012, 08:33 PM
That's great if he's fast and can read a defense but I think the most important question is...Is he clutch?

Mr. Burgundy
02-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Welcome to the Bison!

HandoEX
02-16-2012, 08:47 PM
Awesome! Welcome to the family!!!

tjbison
02-16-2012, 09:16 PM
can everyone rest easy now????

Bison06
02-16-2012, 09:43 PM

I honestly don't understand why anyone was ever nervous. His own brother said he was coming to NDSU, what more do you need?

SamsRams
02-16-2012, 09:49 PM
Awesome. Now if Crockett can take care of business we will have a 3 headed monster at running back.

3?? You do understand Matt Jones may be the best of all of them right??

Bison06
02-16-2012, 09:56 PM

Yeah, we can relax on worrying about the RB position for a couple years. Let's get some of these receivers to pan out, that is by far our biggest need on offense.

BadlandsBison
02-16-2012, 10:29 PM

No! I'll find something negative about this situation ;)

Nah, Welcome to the Bison!

AEBison1998
02-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Yeah, we can relax on worrying about the RB position for a couple years. Let's get some of these receivers to pan out, that is by far our biggest need on offense.

Looks to me like Deveon could play slot if we need him to as well. He looks to have good speed and hands from his highlight videos and from some of the postings from those in the know. Good competition at the WR spot from multiple angles...

EndZoneQB
02-16-2012, 10:49 PM
That's awesome! Welcome to the Herd, Daveon!

Seriously? You are already misspelling his name? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Bison"FANatic"
02-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Great to hear. Until that letter was signed you had to hold your breath that maybe another team comes in with a late offer. He looks to be a great addition and personally I just love the story behind him and his brother and how great it will be to watch them on the field but really how great it will be to see them get their degrees. It is reasons like this that make it even easier to write out that check to teammakers each year. Welcome to the Herd, Work hard, play hard, study hard and change your life forever.

HerdBot
02-16-2012, 11:19 PM

Very possible. Given Ojuri's success last year and the fact he was one of the highest touted recruits weve ever gotten out of Illinois, and he saw the field as a freshman, hes my #1... were in good shape. Seriously good athletes at running back

AjaxTheMighty
02-16-2012, 11:42 PM
Repeat champs has a very nice ring to it!!:)

jarhead
02-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Plenty of talent at RB. The real question for the offense might be who will step into AR's position and will he be able to control 3/4 nose guards like AR did.

CaBisonFan
02-17-2012, 01:18 AM
That's great if he's fast and can read a defense but I think the most important question is...Is he clutch?

You have unleashed the monster...:(

CaBisonFan
02-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Very possible. Given Ojuri's success last year and the fact he was one of the highest touted recruits weve ever gotten out of Illinois, and he saw the field as a freshman, hes my #1... were in good shape. Seriously good athletes at running back

This is one situation where a committee is a good thing.

X-Factor
02-17-2012, 01:41 AM

I think that may be a stretch, but this fall we certainly should have 4 RB's that could all be 100% comfortable in a starting role.

EndZoneQB
02-17-2012, 01:52 AM
Plenty of talent at RB. The real question for the offense might be who will step into AR's position and will he be able to control 3/4 nose guards like AR did.

Yep, big time loss there.

Grizzled
02-17-2012, 02:02 AM
Polosek has told me Ojuri is the best RB that he will have coached in his time here. T. Roehl has seconded that and said he is the best he has seen. There is a reason Ojuri wasn't kicked off the team for something others probably would have been.

BadlandsBison
02-17-2012, 02:05 AM
Yep, big time loss there.

Playmakers on offense I think is going to have to be the solution. Just have a more dynamic offense in general

westnodak93bison
02-17-2012, 02:30 AM
Polosek has told me Ojuri is the best RB that he will have coached in his time here. T. Roehl has seconded that and said he is the best he has seen. There is a reason Ojuri wasn't kicked off the team for something others probably would have been.

Not sure about that. I spoke to a current player in the know and I was told what Ojuri did. IMHO, it should have been settled with a scuffle rather than ratting him out to the coaches but that is just my opinion. Certainly nothing even close to the Best Buy issue or Schultenover deal.

SamsRams
02-17-2012, 03:56 AM

Injury to Ojuri or DJ and Jones plays his freshmen year. And Jones is hands down the best recruit out of Arizona Bison have ever signed. Plus i think an offer to Colorado is more impressive then New Mexico. Dont get me wrong, I love Sam and he is penciled in as starter.

SamsRams
02-17-2012, 04:27 AM
Great to hear. Until that letter was signed you had to hold your breath that maybe another team comes in with a late offer.

Come on homie, I havent lied to you since 1986............... http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?26994-2012-JC-transfer-Deveon-DinWiddie-RB When I post an official thread, its official son!!

344Johnson
02-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Very excited to see what Ojuri, Jones, DinWiddie, and possibly Crockett can offer us this year.

HerdBot
02-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Injury to Ojuri or DJ and Jones plays his freshmen year. And Jones is hands down the best recruit out of Arizona Bison have ever signed. Plus i think an offer to Colorado is more impressive then New Mexico. Dont get me wrong, I love Sam and he is penciled in as starter.

I forgot about the Colorado offer. Kid should be good. Great problem to have. Sam also had offers to 3 MAC schools. We've dramatically improved our level of talent since the start of the transition. Back in 04 we would have been giddy to get one of these guys, much less four!

tcbison
02-17-2012, 03:04 PM
The big question is which RB will catch balls out of the backfield. Ojuri only caught 4 balls for a 3.2 yards/catch last year. We'll need someone to step up in that role and also provide good pass protection.

Professor Chaos
02-17-2012, 03:45 PM
John Crockett would have had offers from multiple Big Ten Schools if his academics were in order (as they appear to be now). It's an abundance of talent at the RB position right now but he's the most talented of the group IMO. Whether or not he turns out to be the best or not is another story.

bisonfan11
02-17-2012, 03:49 PM
Now if only we had that depth in the receiver corps. We'd be unstoppable.

Facts
02-17-2012, 04:23 PM

I've heard he's more "automatic" than "clutch".

HerdBot
02-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Now if only we had that depth in the receiver corps. We'd be unstoppable.

With Vraa and Gebheart returning I feel better. One of those guys will step up. Obviously Ryan Smith will continue to improve. Not sold on Cooper Wahlo or the kid who played as a true freshman but I hope I am wrong. Cant forget about Andrew Okland. We need to replace a deep threat and that was his strength. While he didnt play football until his jr year, its pretty easy when your job is to run deep and go get it. Hes had an entire redshirt year to learn. They should add more to his plate as the season progresses

coloradobison
02-17-2012, 06:06 PM
With Vraa and Gebheart returning I feel better. One of those guys will step up. Obviously Ryan Smith will continue to improve. Not sold on Cooper Wahlo or the kid who played as a true freshman but I hope I am wrong. Cant forget about Andrew Okland. We need to replace a deep threat and that was his strength. While he didnt play football until his jr year, its pretty easy when your job is to run deep and go get it. Hes had an entire redshirt year to learn. They should add more to his plate as the season progresses

Are we sure Okland is going to be around? Is he eligible for spring ball? He isnt on the roster - I feel like this was discussed before but can't find it.

HerdBot
02-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Are we sure Okland is going to be around? Is he eligible for spring ball? He isnt on the roster - I feel like this was discussed before but can't find it.

It was discussed and hes on the team unless i missed something

Bisondan
02-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Now if only we had that depth in the receiver corps and Wentz starting. We'd be unstoppable.

Fixed your post

coloradobison
02-17-2012, 07:12 PM
It was discussed and hes on the team unless i missed something

Good. We need as much depth there as possible.

Grizzled
02-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Not sure about that. I spoke to a current player in the know and I was told what Ojuri did. IMHO, it should have been settled with a scuffle rather than ratting him out to the coaches but that is just my opinion. Certainly nothing even close to the Best Buy issue or Schultenover deal.
I know he lost the respect of a lot of teammates. Technically it was the same as one of them, just not the same scale.

CAS4127
02-17-2012, 08:25 PM
I know he lost the respect of a lot of teammates. Technically it was the same as one of them, just not the same scale.

I think it best to just leave this alone . . .but that's just what I think!!

WRSDBison
02-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Repeat champs has a very nice ring to it!!:)

Cart.........................................Horse .

X-Factor
02-17-2012, 10:45 PM

Ahh I get it, you have a horse pulling the cart by a rope. At least the cart isn't before the horse!

BisonNeil
02-18-2012, 12:37 AM
Great to hear. Until that letter was signed you had to hold your breath that maybe another team comes in with a late offer. He looks to be a great addition and personally I just love the story behind him and his brother and how great it will be to watch them on the field but really how great it will be to see them get their degrees. It is reasons like this that make it even easier to write out that check to teammakers each year. Welcome to the Herd, Work hard, play hard, study hard and change your life forever.

A wonderful post! Well said.

Bison"FANatic"
02-18-2012, 12:39 AM

When you have good horses they can either push or pull the cart.:biggrin::biggrin:

coloradobison
02-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Deveon official per GoBison.com

KSBisonFan
02-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Deveon official per GoBison.com
Here's the link:

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205382517

El_Chapo
11-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Both dinwiddie boys played in their last game together.....cool that they ended together. Just a short mention of NDSU.

http://www.hutchnews.com/sports/ever-a-team-of-two-dinwiddies-prep-for-final-college/article_897aa3d4-4b92-5d6c-882b-52f59fb116a1.html