PDA

View Full Version : A Little Tech Advice - How to Keep a Vid of the Big Games for Yourself

CaBisonFan
01-28-2012, 11:58 PM
This information is not all mine. Thanks to a couple of other members who gave some of their advice to me.

If you're not aware...there are at least 2 regular season games still running on espn3...and all of the playoff games.

But here's what I really wanted you to know. You can download these vids onto your computer pretty easily. There's a piece of software called StreamTransport that can be downloaded for free. Here - http://www.streamtransport.com/

Download it...install it...open the program...and then go to espn3. Copy the url from espn3. Paste it at the top of the opened program (StreamTransport). Then click on the blue box with 'Watch Now' in it. Then open 'Event Schedule' at the top. Then select 'Replay' near the top. Then do a search for 'North Dakota'...yes 'North Dakota.' Then pick one to watch, and StreamTransport will discover it. Highlight, or select, the game in the bottom window. To your right...select 'Download.' It should begin. You can watch the progress. On my computer the video downloads into the video (or documents) folder.

I found a Roxio software program that will burn these to a DVD to watch on TV. The quality is average, but better than not having the game. Quality for your computer should be outstanding. It's the DVDs that are tough. Maybe someone else could help out here.

This software was originally made to work with Hulu...but apparently it will work with a lot of videos.

To download great quality YouTube vids...I'd recommend downloading RealPlayer software. Once that's done...most YouTube vids will have a box right above the video...asking if you want to download it. RealPlayer is available for free online. Search for it. As it is installing...be sure to uncheck boxes that ask if you want a 'toolbar.'

You techies out there...please add, subtract, and/or correct.

Just trying to help.

PS - You will need a program like RealPlayer to watch the vids that you download. There's another good one called VLC that will play them too. The downloaded file is called an flv file. It's kinda unique...so you need a player to get it to work.

If you don't get espn3...maybe a friend or relative could do it, and load it onto a thumb drive. Send it to you, etc. Then load it onto your computer. Probably pretty obvious...but...there it is.

CaBisonFan
01-30-2012, 05:29 PM
For you Mac owners...I highly recommend buying a program called Toast Titanium from Roxio. The strength of the program is that it will take almost any type of video file, convert it, and burn it to a DVD for watching on a TV...or another computer. There aren't many software programs that will do what this program does.

BisonTeacher
01-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I used the stream Transport that Gordy recommended. Worked great for ESPN3.

As Ive posted before....to get things off your DVR...Get Avermedia HD capture card. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0379747 YOu can capture your recording off DVR in HD and copy to disk. I would suggest bluray due to file size and Quality. I would recommend Nero 10 platinum to burn and edit.

Gotta love the techy nerd posts!!! Nice job CaBison!

CaBisonFan
01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the help Dan.

EndZoneQB
01-30-2012, 11:29 PM
I used the stream Transport that Gordy recommended. Worked great for ESPN3.

As Ive posted before....to get things off your DVR...Get Avermedia HD capture card. http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0379747 YOu can capture your recording off DVR in HD and copy to disk. I would suggest bluray due to file size and Quality. I would recommend Nero 10 platinum to burn and edit.

Gotta love the techy nerd posts!!! Nice job CaBison!

Honestly, with as cheap as memory is these days, I wouldn't even mess with burning it to a disc. Almost any DVD/Bluray player made in the past 5 years probably has a USB port on it and can play DivX video. Or it's at minimum another option.

BisonTeacher
01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Honestly, with as cheap as memory is these days, I wouldn't even mess with burning it to a disc. Almost any DVD/Bluray player made in the past 5 years probably has a USB port on it and can play DivX video. Or it's at minimum another option.

Very true. However, using the programs I listed above caused me to have large files to capture in full HD. 10GB per quarter. SO a whole game was 40 some GB. I had to use the nero to edit out commercials and compress, and even then it was 23 some GB. So if you are suggesting a flash drive, it would have to be pretty big. (TWSS)

EndZoneQB
01-31-2012, 12:01 AM
Very true. However, using the programs I listed above caused me to have large files to capture in full HD. 10GB per quarter. SO a whole game was 40 some GB. I had to use the nero to edit out commercials and compress, and even then it was 23 some GB. So if you are suggesting a flash drive, it would have to be pretty big. (TWSS)

Holy balls, I spose that sounds about right if we are talking about completely unedited HD. I'd say I have pretty close to a videophile's eye on quality, etc, and I've been really fond of most DivX rips I've seen and they are usually sized from 700ish MB to 2-3GB's for a 2 hour movie.

BisonTeacher
01-31-2012, 12:11 AM
I too have seen decent quality DIvx rips. My capture device only gave me the option of Mpeg2 and h264 (mp4) as capture formats. You would have to convert it somehow.

CaBisonFan
01-31-2012, 12:25 AM
I too have seen decent quality DIvx rips. My capture device only gave me the option of Mpeg2 and h264 (mp4) as capture formats. You would have to convert it somehow.

I had a live chat with a tech rep. from an online tech store. He said that it's not possible to rip a DVR if the material is copyright protected. Is this a bunch of BS that they're required to say?

BisonTeacher
01-31-2012, 12:36 AM
I had a live chat with a tech rep. from an online tech store. He said that it's not possible to rip a DVR if the material is copyright protected. Is this a bunch of BS that they're required to say?

Check PM....

CalBison97
01-31-2012, 05:38 AM
I have 3 HD Bison games from this year DVR'ed and am wondering if any techies know of or have ever transferred from a DVR receiver to DVD. If so, suggestions?

CaBisonFan
01-31-2012, 06:05 AM
I have 3 HD Bison games from this year DVR'ed and am wondering if any techies know of or have ever transferred from a DVR receiver to DVD. If so, suggestions?

There's one member that's using an AverMedia video card that's doing what you described. Not sure of the exact model...but it's something like this. http://www.amazon.com/Avertv-Definition-Analog-Capture-MTVHDDVRR/dp/B002SQE1O0
(http://www.amazon.com/Avertv-Definition-Analog-Capture-MTVHDDVRR/dp/B002SQE1O0)
If you're using a laptop, there's external ones too.

PM me if you want to know more.

BisonTeacher
01-31-2012, 02:05 PM

See my post on page 1 of this thread.

coldspot
01-31-2012, 02:08 PM
I was in the process of downloading the streams of the playoff games with streamtransporter when the ESPN3 shared account was taken down. I put all the blame on cableone

CaBisonFan
01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
I was in the process of downloading the streams of the playoff games with streamtransporter when the ESPN3 shared account was taken down. I put all the blame on cableone

Did you try starting it up again?

CaBisonFan
02-11-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm bumping this up again. Please spread the word to your friends & relatives that are a into tech, and ask them to download videos from espn3 & youtube.

Again...the best way to download YouTube vids is with RealPlayer. Just search for it...download it...install it...then go to YouTube...and on the upper-right above the video it will ask if you want to download it. The video will be yours.

On the original post I went through how to use a program that will download from espn3. It requires some reading, and some time & effort. I repeat, if you have a friend or relative that gets espn3 and is into tech...they could download the games for you, throw them onto a 32-gig thumb drive (flash drive)...and send it to you. Load them onto your computer...keep the thumb drive somewhere safe...and the games are yours. They actually look a lot better on your computer anyway...vs a tv.

fanbison
02-13-2012, 02:41 PM
Okay, I am still struggling with a couple of things. I have games recorded on my DVR and have been able to copy them to my DVD Recorder. When I am done recording the DVD Recorder goes through some sequence of "preparing" the disk so that it can be played on "other" DVD players. However, when completed I can't play the disk on any other DVD player or my laptop. The message is "disk is empty". However the copied DVD plays back fine on the original recoreder.

Any insight would be greatly apprectiated.

BisonTeacher
02-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Okay, I am still struggling with a couple of things. I have games recorded on my DVR and have been able to copy them to my DVD Recorder. When I am done recording the DVD Recorder goes through some sequence of "preparing" the disk so that it can be played on "other" DVD players. However, when completed I can't play the disk on any other DVD player or my laptop. The message is "disk is empty". However the copied DVD plays back fine on the original recoreder.

Any insight would be greatly apprectiated.

My DVD recorder has a "finalize disk" menu option. YOu have to finalize that disk to be able to play on other DVD drives. Im guessing thats what you are referring to "preparing" but somehow its not being done. SO check your manual to make sure you are following steps to do that. Also...some DVD recorders have a hard drive. Im wondering if you actually copied the game to the DVD or the hard drive of the DVD recorder. try popping that disk back into your dvd recorder and see if the game pops up. If not...you never copied it to the disk and you finalized a blank disk. if it does...you did not finalize the disk properly.

Bison03
02-13-2012, 03:34 PM
If anyone has the ability to transfer an HD copy of the national championship game to DVD, I would love to have a copy. I would be willing to pay you for it even. Let me know as I would probably want a few copies for friends and relatives to put in the archives.

BisonTeacher
02-13-2012, 03:43 PM
I would think either the NCAA or NDSU would put out an "officially Licensed" national championship video at some point. Any of our insiders here have any clue if this is in the works?

Bison03
02-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Say these on Amazon. Got to love the typo....he he..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GdN1PnYoL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Sg4lAPulL.jpg

Tatanka
02-13-2012, 04:10 PM
Say these on Amazon. Got to love the typo....he he..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41GdN1PnYoL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Sg4lAPulL.jpg

I seem to remember the whioux getting their panties in a twist because the sideline access badges also read "North Dakota State". :rofl:

Bison03
02-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I seem to remember the whioux getting their panties in a twist because the sideline access badges also read "North Dakota State". :rofl:

But that in no way means that NDSU has/is more well known entity in the football world as far as the NCAA is concerned.