PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior: Matt Veldman

tony
01-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Veldman was about the last recruit in the class of 2007 - the U of M was in the mix until the very last minute. He made some spectacular catches, including an amazing grab in the national title game, after being hobbled with injuries as a junior. I think he kind of set the offensive tone against Sam Houston early by finishing a block with extreme prejudice (kind of disagree about the penalty he got for that.)

The TD reception against Iowa State was really an early eye-opener. Thanks, Matt!

NDstateBison81
01-26-2012, 11:44 PM
He was good, NDSU needs some more TE's if you ask me..just my opinion.

bison93
01-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Matt was a great football player and leader. He was also an outstanding student and person. After one of the games, a kid was in the stands and had his tonsils removed a day or so earlier. His dad said he demanded to go to the game and wanted to try and get some players autographs after the game. Matt heard that and walked over from where he was visiting with family and friends and spent a good deal of time with the kid. He made the kids day. I think Matt is a good example of this year's senior class, good football players that were unselfish and quality individuals on and off the field.

BisonTeacher
01-27-2012, 12:47 AM
How many drive extending catches did he have on 3rd down? He was a great go to player.

CAS4127
01-27-2012, 12:52 AM
How many drive extending catches did he have on 3rd down? He was a great go to player.
C'mon man. Underperformed!! Just being realistic!

BisonTeacher
01-27-2012, 12:56 AM

He had some great catches in the playoff run. Thats all I meant.

Gully
01-27-2012, 01:23 AM
I think CAS's comment may reflect his career performance, he had trouble staying healthy and his potential didn't develop as soon as anyone expected.

That said, he had a great senior year. Made some huge catches. He'll at least get a look at the next level.

Seems like just yesterday when I was watching him play in a MN all star game. Makes me old, I guess.

IzzyFlexion
01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
Really gained alot of respect and admiration for Veldman listening to some of his media clips down the stretch run of the post season. He spoke like like a Bison should speak.

unbison
01-29-2012, 12:59 PM
He had a good senior season. Looked great in the playoffs, and is very a nice young man!

go_bison
01-31-2012, 02:34 PM

I don't think he underperformed, I think he was underutilized. He wasn't looked at enough, especially with the lack of depth of WR. The guy always made the big catch when it was needed! I think he will get a look at for the next level... good size and good hands. Big shoes to fill for next year at TE.