PDA

View Full Version : New Soccer Head Coach - Mark Cook

The_Bard
01-25-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm really glad to see NDSU has selected their new soccer coach - Mark Cook from MTA Academy. Mark is a stand-up guy with great success at the club level. I hope that success translates to the DI level. It's a good sign that Lynn Dorn was able to conclude this in a timely fashion so the team can start moving forward again. Enough uncertainty - now to replace Coach Ross...

99Bison
01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Looks like a great hire actually.

ndsoccerfan
01-25-2012, 11:44 PM
Looks like a great hire actually.

I have mixed feelings. I believe that John wanted the job over the NIU job but wasnt given a chance at it. Also would BB ever hire an AAU coach, I don't think so. Obiviously Mark will have recruiting ties but no college experience worries me.

99Bison
01-26-2012, 02:54 AM
I have mixed feelings. I believe that John wanted the job over the NIU job but wasnt given a chance at it. Also would BB ever hire an AAU coach, I don't think so. Obiviously Mark will have recruiting ties but no college experience worries me.

Yea, true, will have to wait and see. The background on paper is probably more extensive than most traditional "coaches" will ever have so that's an interesting perspective on it.

D_One_here_we_come
01-26-2012, 03:14 AM
Yes John wanted the job and was told he wasn't getting it. i am not impressed. This guy puts it on Facebook last night before he is officially introduced today. What quality D1 coaches did we look at before we had to move on to a coach with ZERO college experience. NDSU is getting blasted on soccer blogs and websites for this hire.

TILIS-BisonFan
01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
@D1herewecome. Can you link some of those blogs and websites. I'm curious to read into this a bit more. Thanks

DePereBisonFan
01-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Welcome aboard, Mark Cook!

OCBison
01-27-2012, 12:00 AM
@D1herewecome. Can you link some of those blogs and websites. I'm curious to read into this a bit more. Thanks

Yeah, I'd be curious to read some of them too.

TILIS-BisonFan
01-27-2012, 12:30 AM
from a forum

Originally Posted by Why Not!

What's more or a surprise is that he wouldn't stay to take the full reigns of NDSU? I have no idea who was in the pool for NIU, but Morris20 seems to!

Not sure they want their names out there but I know of 1 summit league head coach, 1 MAC head coach, 2 Big 10 assistant coaches, and 1 assistant at a national champion Midwestern school . None of which Was even called....

also posted by why not

Soccerhunter...I do not disagree....your point would stand true for every D II or D III coach in America (and at least they have some recruiting experience)....but the position was only open "officially" for 48 hours! This was a done deal at least a week or possibly two ago. Hell, hire whoever you want, but don't make a farce of the hiring process even more than most already do.

Seems they hired the right guy to rebuild quickly...no less than 4 MN Thunder players have committed to NDSU....maybe a coincidence?

followed by

Maybe I'm giving them too much credit here, but I would think it is possible they already had a short list ready before Cuadrado left. Anyone could see he would get lured away in the next season or two given the success he's had there. Don't know how their AD normally does things, but it's possible he knew in the next year or two he would be searching for a new coach and already had enough of a report on this new guy to be sold on him (for whatever reasons) before Cuadrado even left.

Also helps that he's from what seems to be NDSU's most fertile recruiting area - Minnesota - and based on the kids and their accolades that have come out of his club the past four years, seems to do an OK job of guiding D1 level talent. Pretty solid group of kids and schools they were accepted to.

But then again, maybe I'm giving them too much credit and it was something completely different that led to the quick hire.

CAS4127
01-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Looks like an inside job-->which NDSU is known for!! Lynn Dorn overdone her welcome??!! Consider WBB program.

OCBison
01-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Perhaps I should have been more specific.

What are the other Forums that the comments were posted on?

SDbison
01-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Looks like an inside job-->which NDSU is known for!! Lynn Dorn overdone her welcome??!! Consider WBB program. Before I scrolled to your post CAS I was thinking the same. Wow..........can we get a two for one firing..........Dorn and Dehoff? What a major fuk up!

D_One_here_we_come
01-28-2012, 12:15 AM
Some good reads!

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1788108&page=125

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1788108&page=126

onbison09
01-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Don't know if it's fair to not give the guy a chance before he does anything. Our last coach worked out OK

Hammersmith
01-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Some good reads!

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1788108&page=125

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1788108&page=126

So, two posters who hated the hire and four who were neutral or said it might work out given the circumstances. Not exactly a large sample size to work with or a consensus of opinion.

And I love some people's narrow view of events. DeHoff is sucking and there are some question marks about this hire, so it's obvious Dorn must be fired. Because Dorn only has a track record of bad hires, right? I mean, who has Dorn hired that has actually worked out?

Let's see. Here are the coaches I think she's hired* as well as their winning percentages.

WBB: Ruley(.772), DeHoff(.517)
Soc: Henderson(.529), Townsend(.624), Cuadrado(.566)
SB**: Hanson(.731), Mueller(.661)
WT&F: Godfrey
VB: Pavilec***(.701), Olsen(.888), Koppinger-Montgomery(.858), Eide(.650), Bina(.684), Hinterstocker(.714), Thompson(.761)
(can't find histories of golf, swimming & diving, or tennis)

Also, I think Dorn handled the hiring of Tim Miles since we were between ADs at the time. Speaking of which, I suspect Dorn had some significant impact on the hiring of Gene Taylor. Those two hires seemed to have turned out okay.

What I'm trying to get across is to not get caught up in the moment. Most schools would be ecstatic at the hiring history of Dorn. I agree that DeHoff is looking like a flop and the soccer hire has raised my eyebrows, but let's give the guy a chance.

*I'm not absolutely certain on all of these, but they are the women's coaches hired while Dorn has been here.
**Softball wasn't taken seriously at NDSU until the 90's. At one point, VB & SB shared coaches. I'd list all the coaches, but there were 8 coaches over a span of 10 years. I'm only listing the two from the "modern" era. (a.k.a. the time since the Title IX complaint)
***Not sure if Pavilec was a Dorn hire

CAS4127
01-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Yep, untouchable-->who isn't?! More to the story . . .

D_One_here_we_come
01-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Looks like Christie is out too! From In-Forum.com

Posted on January 24, 2012 by Jeff Kolpack
NDSU assistant soccer coach John Ross, considered the front runner to take over for departed head coach Pete Cuadrado, was named the head coach at Northern Illinois on Tuesday.

Ross spent nine years at NDSU under Cuadrado, who took the head position at Wyoming last week. Ross, who is from Illinois graduating from Northeastern Illinois University, was the goalkeepers coach and associate head coach for the Bison. His move means he will also be closer to family

He takes over the NIU program from Carrie Baker, who was fired.

It’s an unfortunate move for NDSU, especially with signing day next Wednesday. The Bison got a verbal commitment from one of the better players in the country, Lauren Miller of St. Louis Park, Minn. We’ll see what happens with that.

5 thoughts on “Ross, NDSU assistant soccer coach, also leaves”

Bison Fan on January 24, 2012 at 8:05 pm said:
The soccer program is heading in the right direction. Hopefully the Bison can hire a great new coach and continue the march to the NCAA Tournament with a win in the tournament.
I sure hope the recruits stay committed to NDSU.

Reply ↓

Mel on January 26, 2012 at 9:26 am said:
Obviously getting Lauren Miller from MSA was Dorn’s #1 goal so she hired Miller’s club coach at $63000. Pete was getting less than $60000, had been there 9 years, a Masters degree and more COLLEGE coaching experience. What is Dorn thinking?

Reply ↓

Heading in the right direction? Two coaches abruptly leave for inferior programs just as National Signing Day is on the horizon. And the (women’s) AD hires someone ineptly qualified for MORE money than the incumbent. The “right direction”? umm….. ok, then.

Reply ↓

Mel on January 27, 2012 at 11:20 pm said:
Inferior? Have you seen the facilities tour at Wyoming – which is in the MOUNTAIN WEST conference with all Division 1A bowl elligible teams? MWC (TCU) won the Rose Bowl in 2011. Inferior? You been in ND too long. Just because NDSU won the FCS doesn’t make NDSU a contender against a true D1 school. Also check out the athletic budgets for NIU and WYO. John got a 6 year contract for a LOT more than he would have been paid at NDSU. Pete got a LOT more money at WYO and neither have to put up with Dorn who said “John was second to none”. If Dorn meant that why didn’t she hire John? Just sayin…

Reply ↓

907865 on January 27, 2012 at 7:06 pm said:
Now Christie Chappell is gone as well. Followed John to Northern Illinois, wow! All three full time coaches have left the program, with the program headed in the right direction why has Dorn not tried to keep anyone. The salary thing is mind boggling, why not pay Pete. Why not John or Christie????? Dorn stuck her neck out on this one, stay tuned!

ndsoccerfan
01-28-2012, 04:47 PM
Pete would have stayed for what Mark is making and John made it very clear to Lynn that he wanted the NDSU job over the NIU job but Lynn want interested.

This whole scenario is mindboggling.

What will be really funny is if Lauren Miler goes to WY then the decision will look even more awful.

The_Bard
01-29-2012, 03:53 PM
For those interested, the forum comments referred to above come from the BigSoccer.com forum. And, according to other comments there, the hiring of Coach Ross at NIU was met with the same confusion, wailing and gnashing of teeth as some of you exhibit here with the hiring of Coach Cook. So, in that regard, the NDSU hiring process doesn't appear that different.

Who knows what happens during the hiring process - could Coach Pete had input into his successor? Could be. I actually hope so - who better to know who might fit the program with the current circumstances? Recognize that the 2012 season could be tough for any coaching staff - losing 10 seniors is a serious blow to any program. And there are only 3 Juniors (only two of which had any significant playing time) and 4 Sophomores. A new keeper (67 minutes of play all last season). 10 Freshman in 2011 and ~10 more slated for 2012. So basically we have 20 "new" players for 2012. The pool of coaches willing to jump in to that cauldron may have been significantly more limited than you think. Personally, I was already concerned about the 2012 season even with the existing staff. A new coach really doesn't change my outlook all that much.

I for one, am willing to give Coach Cook full support. Reliable info says the former MTA girls on the team, who know him personally, are supportive. What better references than the players?

And now it is reported by a blogger in the WDAY Bison Media Blog that Coach Christie Chappel has followed Coach Ross to NIU. I have no independent confirmation, but not a surprising report. sigh...

The_Bard
01-29-2012, 04:19 PM
FYI: University of WY 2012 budget says Head Womens soccer coach salary for 2012 is $76,500.

http://www.uwyo.edu/acadaffairs/plans/FY12_Operating_Budget.pdf [pg. 123]

And WY has no state income tax.

aces1180
02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Looks like Miller isn't on the list...Wow.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205372494

ISXBISON
02-01-2012, 08:36 PM

That sucks...kind of not surprised though

aces1180
02-01-2012, 08:38 PM
The STrib has a list of all metro NLIO and she isn't listed at all...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/preps/138451219.html?page=1&c=y

tony
02-01-2012, 08:45 PM
I don't think Miller should rush into anything - the signing window is open for a while (and I think there is a late-signing window as well.)

Really surprised that the press dudes didn't ask the soccer coach a single question. How about one of these?

"Are you expecting more LOIs?" I mean, Coach Godfrey said he was expecting four more LOIs tomorrow.
"Did you have recruits back out due to the coaching change?"

BTW, going to have to rewatch that presser - what is the knee failure rate for girls soccer participants? 97%? Ouch!

cabis
02-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I believe Miller is a junior so will be a 2013 signee. Hope we can hang on to her.

tony
02-01-2012, 10:00 PM
I believe Miller is a junior so will be a 2013 signee. Hope we can hang on to her.

D'oh, you are right.

http://espn.go.com/high-school/girls-soccer/commitments/story/_/id/7149527/2013-high-school-girls-soccer-ncaa-verbal-commitments

OCBison
02-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Far be it for me to throw a guy that I've never met under the bus but I thought people might be interested in the following exchange that I had with someone who lives in MSP area.

I wrote:

"Mark Cook looks like a good hire for NDSU. Let's hope it works out well for everyone."

My friend replied:

"He is a good coach well maybe maybe even a great coach. You didn't hear it from me please but he does have some demons from his past won't work in a catholic school again or be allowed to deal with cash... a good guy and hope he can escape his past."

Did Lynn not do her due diligence?

56BISON73
02-03-2012, 02:10 AM
Far be it for me to throw a guy that I've never met under the bus but I thought people might be interested in the following exchange that I had with someone who lives in MSP area.

I wrote:

"Mark Cook looks like a good hire for NDSU. Let's hope it works out well for everyone."

My friend replied:

Did Lynn not do her due diligence?

Or is your friend just part of a rumor mill?

tony
02-03-2012, 08:10 PM
Edited out gossip.

If OCBison's friend wants to post their information with supporting material, then that's another thing.

NDStateFan
02-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Personally I vote we move on to more productive gossip i.e. anyone hearing who will be/who might be the new assistants?

CAS4127
02-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Edited out gossip.

If OCBison's friend wants to post their information with supporting material, then that's another thing.

I still see gossip-->catholic church/handling cash????

Bison Dan
02-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I still see gossip-->catholic church/handling cash????

Posters need to have more class when posting about undocumented gossip about coaches or players.

D_One_here_we_come
03-04-2012, 07:03 PM
Bison lost 7-3 to Iowa this weekend.

ndsoccerfan
03-27-2012, 03:12 PM
Anyone know the spring soccer schedule? Isn't it normally posted on Gobison?

D_One_here_we_come
05-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Schneweis Hired As Men's Soccer Coach at Concordia-Moorhead
MOORHEAD, Minn. (5/25/12)—Concordia-Moorhead has named Ben Schneweis as the new men’s soccer coach. Schneweis is currently an assistant coach, and has served as Director of Soccer Operations, at North Dakota State University.

Schneweis takes over for Dan Weiler who was the men’s and women’s soccer coach at the college but stepped away from the men’s position to concentrate solely on his duties as head coach of the nationally recognized women’s program.

“Ben’s hiring is another significant step in the process of our athletic department,” commented Concordia Athletic Director Rich Glas. “This will be the first time in the history of the men’s and women’s programs that we will have separate full-time coaches.”

Schneweis was an assistant coach for the North Dakota State University women’s soccer program last season after being the Director of Soccer Operations for the Bison for two years. He helped NDSU advance to the Summit League tournament championship game in 2011 and has been a part of a program that participated in the NCAA Division I and II Tournaments. Before his stint at NDSU, Schneweis served for three years as both the men’s and women’s assistant coaches at NCAA Division II Bellarmine University in Louisville, Ky.

“I’m absolutely thrilled and cannot wait to get to work on building the foundation of success for the men’s program, said Schneweis. “I’d like to thank Provost Mark Krejci, Athletic Director Rich Glas and the rest of the search committee for offering me the opportunity to lead the young men in the soccer program.”

Schneweis brings a diverse background to the job as well as an experienced knowledge of soccer in the region. He grew up in Grand Forks, N.D., played for Red River High School and then went on to play collegiately at Brescia University in Owensboro, Ky. In addition to his coaching stints at NDSU and Bellarmine, Schneweis has served as the General Manager and Youth Program Director of the Mockingbird Valley Soccer Club in Louisville, Ky. and has been a staff coach with the Tri-City Storm Soccer Club in Fargo.

Schneweis graduated from the University of North Dakota with a degree in English. He will be finishing his master’s degree in Science in Educational Leadership in August.

“To bring in a coach like Ben, with his experience, knowledge of college athletics and recruiting will really be a huge plus for the men’s program,” said Glas. “I am really looking forward to the future of the men’s soccer program.”

ndsoccerfan
05-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Big loss IMO, and the last link to the old staff...best of luck to coach Schneweis.

SamsRams
08-02-2012, 09:22 PM
http://summitpoints.blogspot.com/2012/08/schoeberl-luce-join-ndsu-womens-soccer.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Meghan Schoeberl, an assistant at Wisconsin-River Falls last season, has been named assistant women's soccer coach at North Dakota State. NDSU head coach Mark Cook made the announcement Thursday, Aug. 2.

Schoeberl spent five years with Cook at the Minnesota Thunder Academy as a head coach and assistant coach for its U15 to U19 teams. She was a four-year starter at Northern Iowa from 2004 to 2007 and began her coaching career as an assistant for the Waterloo West High School boys' varsity team for two seasons while at UNI.

Cook also announced the addition of former Bison player Katie Luce as the team's director of soccer operations. Luce will assist the NDSU coaching staff with team travel, game-day preparations, video exchange, camps, and other administrative duties.