PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior: Ryan Jastram

tony
01-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Jastram really had a great senior season. Last year, he went 14 of 23 on field goals. This year? An amazing 16 of 18! He was really booming his kickoffs too.

The Bunnies never recruited him either so that's fun too. :)

heffray
01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Jastram really had a great senior season. Last year, he went 14 of 23 on field goals. This year? An amazing 16 of 18! He was really booming his kickoffs too.

The Bunnies never recruited him either so that's fun too. :)

I was just thinking about this yesterday. 2 things:

1. Do you think Jastram has a chance to play on Sundays?
2. Who do we have to replace him?

THEsocalledfan
01-23-2012, 05:20 PM

No, he is not consistant enough on those FG's. 16-18 is not NFL quality and I don't remember any of the them being very long or missing long ones (which I can forgive).

coloradobison
01-23-2012, 05:46 PM

2. Who do we have to replace him?

2. We have a RFr. Adam Keller to take over for him.

semobison
01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
His 53 yarder to end the half against JMU was HUGE!

cracker
01-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Jastram will be missed. It's easy to forget about a good kicker when he is reliable. Knowing that you have the FG as a viable option affects play-calling.
Plus, Jastram is a good person.

CAS4127
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Jastram will be missed. It's easy to forget about a good kicker when he is reliable. Knowing that you have the FG as a viable option affects play-calling.
Plus, Jastram is a good person.

He was an integral part of the team this year, and, IMO, stepped up to help us win this year. He seemed to struggle last year a bit, but apparently did what he needed to do in the off-season to improve his game. Hope we can replace him with someone as consistent as he was this year.

Thanks for you contributions, Ryan.

td577
01-23-2012, 10:18 PM

Kickers have to take a different road. A lot of kickers don't go from college to the NFL right away. So if he finds a good training site, I think he has shown the strength and the head to be a pro kicker. I think he would have to work on trajectory and consistency. How many times this year did you get a little nervous about him kicking? Usually I was nervous but then he did come through way more often than not. At the next level, his 30+ yarders would get blocked. If he wanted to take it further, he has a few things to work on. But as a kicker, that is the way it goes. You find a trainer, work on your game for a couple of years, and hope for a try out.

I had a cousin who got a few tryouts from the D2 level, so anything is possible. He worked at it for a couple of years and was tired of being the first one pink slipped at camp. But the main thing is he got a chance. Like Drago, it becomes the willingness to keep working on your craft hoping for the slight chance someone will give you a chance.

IzzyFlexion
01-23-2012, 11:54 PM
Jastram's 16-18 on FG tries averages 35 yards per FG with a long of 53.
Opposing kickers were 11-17 for 65%.
His 2 misses were from 35 and 46 yards.
16/18 is an 89% success rate.

Jastram's average kickoff yardage was 63.7 yards with 12 touchbacks.
Opponents average kickoff yardage was 55.9 yards with only 1 touchback.

Jastram's numbers above are big boy numbers. One concern to a pro scout would be the 54/60 PATs. (90%)

AND, he's from South Dakota. Seems to be a breeding ground for good place kickers.:biggrin:

Twentysix
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
No, he is not consistant enough on those FG's. 16-18 is not NFL quality and I don't remember any of the them being very long or missing long ones (which I can forgive).

Just off the top of my head I can remember both a 51yd FG make(RMU) and a 53yd FG make(JMU). What are you considering long?

tony
01-24-2012, 03:17 PM
16 of 18 is NFL quality. XPs though have to be 100%.

17>1
01-24-2012, 10:06 PM

I think 16-18 is actually pretty good at any level, and is consistant enough. The 53 yarder against JMU swung the momentum right back towards us going into the locker room at half time. The biggest miss of the two that I can remember was the one in the 4th quarter against the Gophers. If he makes that, we're up 9. He missed and gave them the ball back with momentum, trailing only 6. Then Marcus applied the dagger a few plays later. And as far as the missed PAT's, it isn't always on the kicker when one of them gets missed. I know the missed PAT against the Gophers was because the long snapper was late getting out there and it was rushed. Jastrom didn't even get a chance to kick that one.

Also, how many times did we see in the playoffs, teams not having a reliable kicker to get points on the board? It seemed like in all 3 home playoff games, there were oppurtunities for the opponents to at least attempt FG's and they opted to go for it on 4th and whatever. He will be missed, and I just hope Mr. Keller can fill in and make some FG's next year.

A1pigskin
01-28-2012, 12:39 PM
He will be missed. I hope someone steps up that is as good or better.

herdmember
01-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Consistent with field goals, ability to make the long field goals, long kickoffs, and even the ability to make a tackle if a returner broke one. (I believe last year's KU game he had a big tackle) Best case scenario for a kicker.