PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior: Matt Voigtlander

westnodak93bison
01-22-2012, 10:12 PM
You have to love this kid. Total team player. He had a solid season and a very good NC game. Not sure we win it without him. With a 41yd net and some big boomers I wonder if there is a chance he could get a FA look? With him being an excellent athlete you never know since he only punted one year. Maybe an NFL team will see some value in having another good athlete on the field?

td577
01-22-2012, 10:26 PM
After the first couple of games I was wondering if we should ever punt. He shanked a couple and didn't look like a consistent, dependable punter. Someone found the switch very quickly. Very impressive that he not only changed positions for his last year, but was arguably the MVP of the National Championship game. There are very few positions in any sport that require such precise mechanics as punting and this kid nailed them.

By the way, all season long I would say they should let him take off once in a while. I said to a friend that they will fake it in the national championship game and may not want to show that off until then. For the NC, I was in the end zone seats and when they lined up for the punt, I was yelling to run it left, run it left. I am pretty sure they didn't hear me but perhaps the Bison ESP was working. Either that, or it was so blatantly obvious to everyone in the world, minus the imaginary animals everywhere, that even if my dead grandma herself was the punter they were going to run left. Nice play.

westnodak93bison
01-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Very personable kid. I spoke to Voigt and Polasek at Chubs after the homecoming game and told Voigt why don't you just take off with it for once? He just said coach hasnt called it and I told him once you house it or get a big gain they will be patting you on the shoulder....all the while Polasek is saying no, no, no! Polasek did say on the eve of the championship that "they had a couple plays drawn up".

perthbison
01-22-2012, 10:57 PM
It's easy to like this gamer. Was a very good runningback, always running hard, and surprised us with becomming an even better punter.:):fight:

CAS4127
01-22-2012, 11:10 PM
He improved throughout the year and had his best game in NC. When u can turn the field over in a defensive-dominated game, u have a good chance of winning.

herdmember
01-23-2012, 03:17 AM
What a stud! His last run as a RB I believe was an 8 yarder against Eastern Washington on 1st down right after DJ broke a 20 yarder. We never got the first down, and the rest is history. I told myself for the last year if you run Voigt one more time in those next two plays we get our 1st down. Now, thanks to unselfish guys like him, we have our title and nothing else matters. Thanks Voigt, you are a stud at all you do and if I was an NFL GM, I'd take a shot.

BisonFan02
01-23-2012, 05:20 AM
He improved throughout the year and had his best game in NC. When u can turn the field over in a defensive-dominated game, u have a good chance of winning.

Agree, but I would also include his game against SIU. Statistically not quite as good as the NC game, but I think his performance was maybe just as critical in that game than anything other.

tony
01-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Voigtlander really put the team first and could easily have been named the national championship MVP.

Bison81
01-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Voigtlanders Average Yards Per Carry:
Freshman '08: 8.8ypc
Soph: 10.1ypc
Junior: 7.0ypc
Senior: 27.0ypc

WOW! just amazing...

tcbison
01-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Voigtlanders Average Yards Per Carry:
Freshman '08: 8.8ypc
Soph: 10.1ypc
Junior: 7.0ypc
Senior: 27.0ypc

WOW! just amazing...

He saved the best for last!

CaBisonFan
01-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Voigtlander & Majeski had something special about them...when they touched the ball, something good happened.

Nice that someone figured it out in time for the NC game.

td577
01-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Voigtlander & Majeski had something special about them...when they touched the ball, something good happened.

Nice that someone figured it out in time for the NC game.

I think everyone knew it, they just didn't want to use it until absolutely necessary. If one of the playoff games were in trouble, I can see a fake used then. There were certainly a lot of opportunities due to opposing return formations. I am sure the imaginary animal coaches had a faked punt checkmark box on their scouting reports left blank. A whole season of video and not one fake punt. NDSU lulled them into feeling that wasn't part of our game. Until the FCS world forgets about this game, NDSU has now shown they are willing to try it.

By the way, while the Bison never really had to kick onsides this season, I think there were plenty of opportunities based on kick formations that would have lent to some encouraging possibilities. That was one area they should have shown during the season to make the playoff teams prepare for the improbability.

IzzyFlexion
01-23-2012, 11:29 PM
I think everyone knew it, they just didn't want to use it until absolutely necessary. If one of the playoff games were in trouble, I can see a fake used then. There were certainly a lot of opportunities due to opposing return formations. I am sure the imaginary animal coaches had a faked punt checkmark box on their scouting reports left blank. A whole season of video and not one fake punt. NDSU lulled them into feeling that wasn't part of our game. Until the FCS world forgets about this game, NDSU has now shown they are willing to try it.

By the way, while the Bison never really had to kick onsides this season, I think there were plenty of opportunities based on kick formations that would have lent to some encouraging possibilities. That was one area they should have shown during the season to make the playoff teams prepare for the improbability.

THAT is an interestng factoid that I hadn't thought about. Then again, when you only have one loss, I guess it's not uncommon. But noteworthy nonetheless.

tcbison
01-23-2012, 11:34 PM
The thing that sticks in my mind with Voigtlander is he could have easily transferred to another program and started at RB. Instead, he stayed with the Bison. Like the old saying goes "those who stay will be champions".

herdmember
01-23-2012, 11:37 PM

Just to verify I'm understanding correctly, it was smart to NOT show the punt so it could be a surprise, but it was a coaching oversight to NOT show an onsite kick? Got it!

CaBisonFan
01-23-2012, 11:45 PM

I agree with what you've written...and you have some good observations.

I should have written about his RB skills in particular. That's really what I was writing about.

td577
01-23-2012, 11:50 PM
Just to verify I'm understanding correctly, it was smart to NOT show the punt so it could be a surprise, but it was a coaching oversight to NOT show an onsite kick? Got it!

They are different. Showing a fake punt does change the punt return formations where it would not be advantageous to try a fake punt. Showing a onside kick keeps the front 4 or 5 at home for a split second longer creating an even larger advantage in coverage. Considering the coverage was awesome all year, I don't think the split second would have made much of a difference, but you never know. As far as setting a tone that the Bison are always going to play straight up and not onside kick or fake punt also sends a message. The difference in a onside kick is that when you absolutely need to do it, everyone in the stadium knows it. To show an onside when you don't need it puts a different spin on the return team.

If you want your opponent to prepare for a play, you show it. If you want them to waste time preparing for a play, you show it. If you want them to get lulled into never thinking you will do it, then never do it. The Bison will not see as many opportunities to fake a punt for a couple of years simply because they now did it. Half the game is 90% mental, so these coaching staffs are constantly looking at probability charts for every situation.

CAS4127
01-23-2012, 11:58 PM
Well, it did help that SHSU partially blocked an earlier punt with only one rusher-->just sayin'!

Da_Bizon
01-24-2012, 02:55 AM
Voigt and I are currently drinking wine and having fondue while I read this to him. He's very entertained and says thanks for the love.

BadlandsBison
01-24-2012, 03:16 AM
I hate to see Matt go, that about sums it up

CaBisonFan
01-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Voigt and I are currently drinking wine and having fondue while I read this to him. He's very entertained and says thanks for the love.

If you see him again...tell him that CaBisonFan is a big fan...and thanks for what he did. His contributions to the team this past season were huge...but I remember his running ability too. 2 or 3 years ago...against WIU at home...he had a huge run or two. No one else could do much...but Voigt stepped up. He is the definition of a 'gamer.' We've had none better in that regard.

Bisondan
01-24-2012, 03:41 PM

Subtle brag imo

Da_Bizon
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Subtle brag imo

Sorry, I was slightly inebriated.

jimmyptubas
01-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Matt plays blackjack against me sometimes on tuesdays. From what i gather he's a good guy. He's going to be a teacher if the punting thing doesn't work out. He's the only bison player i know on a personal level so I think i talk football too much when i deal to him...:)

Pards Rule
01-28-2012, 05:07 PM
Hey - tell Matt Lafayette needs a ST coach! I met Matt the first day I flew to Fargo and I was disoriented at this huge campus looking at a directory and he came up and saw the Lafayette shirt I was wearing and introduced himself and I told him I was looking for a place to eat on campus. So obviously I followed how he was doing and I came down to Frisco to root the Bison on that day and loved the fake punt as it turned the game. The Pards need a ST coach! I will put a good word in with Coach Tavani!