PDA

View Full Version : Act One, Scene 2

WFBisonFan
01-22-2012, 03:15 AM
Can someone explain to me why in the world we spent a large majority of the game switching on screens, thus creating a mismatch in THEIR favor? Once ol' Saul figured that one out (if he was the one that figured it out) it made a HUGE difference with their outside shooting. The open looks they did get were because we played good help defense and they were open....part of the game. Aaberg doesn't touch the floor in the 2nd half. WHY? Bjorkland plays 3 minutes to start the 2nd half, then is pulled. WHY? He was replaced by another guard/small forward and....because we kept switching on screens, we were left with a guard getting posted up by their big men. Don't give me the "we're a young team" crap. This is fundamental basketball. This was soley on Saul. He put them in that situation and it backfired......big time. Don't think for one second that SDSU didn't watch the UND tape and realize that they were going to have a ton of mismatches tonight.

I was happy with the overall effort however. Braun lit a fire and others followed suit. How we even had a snowball's chance in hell of winning is mind blowing.

HoopsBison
01-22-2012, 03:20 AM
This is the exact reason we lost tonight. It was mind blowing that it took so long for an adjustment to be made. I would love to hear why we were switching every screen.

*Bisonrube
01-22-2012, 03:36 AM
Repeating what BisonBohl and I said on the GDT thread. AGREE AGREE

WFBisonFan
01-22-2012, 03:39 AM
Yeah, should have looked at the GDT before I posted. Never looked at it. My bad.

*Bisonrube
01-22-2012, 03:42 AM
Yeah, should have looked at the GDT before I posted. Never looked at it. My bad.

No, it deserves to be stressed..because it was so obvious.

Bison"FANatic"
01-22-2012, 03:51 AM
We went small because we needed to get to the rim. They were not able to do it with the bigs in there. So they took the lumps on the D end and gave up the mismatch to get to the rim and get there guys chasing. Not a perfect scenario but it seemed to at least get us going on offense compared to the first half which was terrible. These guys the last 3 out of 4 games have not been getting to the rim like they were early in the year. We get back to some penetration and it will open up our game and they will win. Heck we went up tempo and pushed to the rim at the end of regulation and look what happened. 4 guys standing around the 3 point line and playing catch like they were in the first half isn't going to work. Saul will get it figured out.

Bison"FANatic"
01-22-2012, 03:56 AM
As for the switching we have done well all year being athletic enough at all positions to be able to switch at off screens. There were a few times we were mismatched but there were also quite a few stops with doing this. I remember Saul saying at teammakers that it is one of our strengths and the reason we were winning some of the out of conference games. Our D didn't let us down tonight they kept us in the game it was the O that struggled.

*Bisonrube
01-22-2012, 04:04 AM
As for the switching we have done well all year being athletic enough at all positions to be able to switch at off screens. There were a few times we were mismatched but there were also quite a few stops with doing this. I remember Saul saying at teammakers that it is one of our strengths and the reason we were winning some of the out of conference games. Our D didn't let us down tonight they kept us in the game it was the O that struggled.

A few times?? They did what they wanted to do on offense. Saul must have really thought it was a strength to stick with Trayvon and Marshall covering Wolters and LA and Dylan covering a big. Genius.

1998braves64
01-22-2012, 04:23 AM
As already mentioned but to confirm Saul said he did that to open up the lane more so that braun and LA could drive easier (it obviously worked as they ended up tying the game) They just allowed 2 offensive rebounds late in the OT and you just can't let that happen that late in the game. Saul said it was a risky move to do, said it could have blown up on them but SDSU couldn't make the adjustment it appears, even in OT I don't think THAT specifically cost the game less than the offensive rebounds.

As far as switching didn't have a problem with it other than a couple times seemed like they had a good chance to "switch back" as SDSU didn't seem to be taking advantage of the fact they had a big on LA or Hale. They've been doing the switch on screens all year. It was more of the whole team collapsing in, presumably to rebound, when someone drove it leaving 3 of their sharpshooters with wide open shots from 3 point land what were they over 50% at half with 10 made... not sure what they ended up with for the whole game, but defending the 3 seems to be a weak spot for the bison for whatever reason.

HoopsBison
01-22-2012, 04:31 AM
Wolters is far to good of a player to switch on and ask one of our bigs to try and guard him. I don't care how athletic we are, Wolters broke us down the whole second half with us switching screens the way we did by either making shots, getting fouled, or finding the open guy.

In the first half we were able to keep him down because SDSU was running their normal offense. Nagy switched early in the second half to isolate wolters with the high screen and it was a great adjustment by him.

Just my two cents.

WFBisonFan
01-22-2012, 04:37 AM
Wolters is far to good of a player to switch on and ask one of our bigs to try and guard him. I don't care how athletic we are, Wolters broke us down the whole second half with us switching screens the way we did by either making shots, getting fouled, or finding the open guy.

In the first half we were able to keep him down because SDSU was running their normal offense. Nagy switched early in the second half to isolate wolters with the high screen and it was a great adjustment by him.

Just my two cents.

You are 100% correct. Nagy switched EARLY.........Saul waited and waited. Luckily, we were able to send it to OT because SDSU fell apart at the line in the 2nd half.

WFBisonFan
01-22-2012, 04:41 AM
We went small because we needed to get to the rim. They were not able to do it with the bigs in there. So they took the lumps on the D end and gave up the mismatch to get to the rim and get there guys chasing. Not a perfect scenario but it seemed to at least get us going on offense compared to the first half which was terrible. These guys the last 3 out of 4 games have not been getting to the rim like they were early in the year. We get back to some penetration and it will open up our game and they will win. Heck we went up tempo and pushed to the rim at the end of regulation and look what happened. 4 guys standing around the 3 point line and playing catch like they were in the first half isn't going to work. Saul will get it figured out.

We sat around and dribbled like fools for 25 seconds and then hoped like hell we could slip one by them. With or without the bigs in there we couldn't do much. By the time Saul figures it out, we'll be on the outside looking in at the Summit Tourney. I hope not, but he hasn't done much to prove me wrong....yet.

AjaxTheMighty
01-22-2012, 04:44 AM

Hilarious, 91 points, but it wasn't the D...:facepalm:

1998braves64
01-22-2012, 04:55 AM
Looking at the stats, NDSU won in the stats in quite a few areas Rebounds (off and def) points in paint absolutely dominated. Points of turnovers is where SDSU killed us 19-9 imo. Coming from the fact we had 16 to to their 9. Need to take better care of the ball. If they put together some basketball and get hot for the tournament I wouldn't want to play NDSU but it could also be they keep playing like they are too and not pulling out the close ones.

I liked that they played with intensity tonight and enough so that they tied the game. I wouldn't say they will lose by 20 in Brookings... wasn't like the crowd tonight was really helping them out any anyway.

unbison
01-22-2012, 02:52 PM
Wtf was the first half though it looked like we were trying to slow it down..... I don't get it crisp passes swinging the ball moving it inside out to get the defense to collapse and how many times did Marshall have position while we were lazily passing the ball around 23 ft from the basket

SDbison
01-22-2012, 03:01 PM
Wtf was the first half though it looked like we were trying to slow it down..... I don't get it crisp passes swinging the ball moving it inside out to get the defense to collapse and how many times did Marshall have position while we were lazily passing the ball around 23 ft from the basket
Also, why let SDSU stand and run time off with 1 to 2 minutes left in regulation and OT?

WFBisonFan
01-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Also, why let SDSU stand and run time off with 1 to 2 minutes left in regulation and OT?

EXACTLY! That, and why were we not fouling with 51 sec. left in the 2nd half? We got them to inbound the ball to someone besides Wolters and didn't foul. Didn't make sense to me. Granted, it worked out as we forced OT, but if it hadn't, we'd be more upset over the decision not to foul in that situation.

unbison
01-22-2012, 03:39 PM
My only thought is that wolters is to good to pickup at half court hate for
Not being a bison fine but that kid is silky smooth good

Jay
01-22-2012, 03:54 PM
If you pick him up and halfcourt, he's going to go right around you. Since we play man-to-man only... I can see why we didn't do this. He could do whatever he wanted, when he wanted with the ball.

BisonTeacher
01-22-2012, 03:59 PM
If you pick him up and halfcourt, he's going to go right around you. Since we play man-to-man only... I can see why we didn't do this. He could do whatever he wanted, when he wanted with the ball.

I don't know. Seemed like that pressure we put on at the very end of 2nd half seemed to be working. Maybe if we do this earlier....or even in the first half, its a different story.

unbison
01-22-2012, 04:04 PM
I don't know. Seemed like that pressure we put on at the very end of 2nd half seemed to be working. Maybe if we do this earlier....or even in the first half, its a different story.
he went around and through us....... he shot like crap.......but otherwise killed us.........sorry man just the truth

Jay
01-22-2012, 04:09 PM
he went around and through us....... he shot like crap.......but otherwise killed us.........sorry man just the truth

We're lucky he shot 9-28. He missed quite a few open shots.

BisonTeacher
01-22-2012, 04:18 PM

no need to apologize. im not offended. When you are losing, and the time is almost out...at some point you have to go for the ball. Whether Micheal Jordan has the ball or not. We got lucky they missed shots at the end of the second half. sitting there waiting for them to shoot is not a good strategy when you are losing. I don't care how good he is...you have to do something.

*Bisonrube
01-22-2012, 04:24 PM
We're lucky he shot 9-28. He missed quite a few open shots.

You would think that you would try to trap or do something to disrupt Wolters from getting the ball since he takes 30 shots and has the ball for 25 seconds every possession. Make someone else have to take twenty shots and watch Wolters implode because his ego can't take not being the center of the offense.

BisonTeacher
01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
You would think that you would try to trap or do something to disrupt Wolters from getting the ball since he takes 30 shots and has the ball for 25 seconds every possession. Make someone else have to take twenty shots and watch Wolters implode because his ego can't take not being the center of the offense.

totally agree. Isnt there a game plan? I coach basketball (yes its 7th grade girls...but hey...we were undefeated this year!) anyway...There has to be a game plan. What do we know about that team?...and how can we stop it? I hope their game plan wasnt just letting him shoot and hoping he missed.

*Bisonrube
01-22-2012, 04:37 PM
totally agree. Isnt there a game plan? I coach basketball (yes its 7th grade girls...but hey...we were undefeated this year!) anyway...There has to be a game plan. What do we know about that team?...and how can we stop it? I hope their game plan wasnt just letting him shoot and hoping he missed.

Or at minimum an adjustment made during the game. You may go into game with the thought Dylan is going to man him up...but after ten pick plays that give SDSU mismatches, you have to adjust your defense. Nagy must have been giddy..I just have to run one play that just keeps on working.

SDbison
01-22-2012, 04:40 PM
If you pick him up and halfcourt, he's going to go right around you. Since we play man-to-man only... I can see why we didn't do this. He could do whatever he wanted, when he wanted with the ball. So just let him waste time and then beat a player off the dribble.........hmmmmmmm. He is good but he can't do it every time. Why not just concede the game because of one player?

SDbison
01-22-2012, 04:42 PM
no need to apologize. im not offended. When you are losing, and the time is almost out...at some point you have to go for the ball. Whether Micheal Jordan has the ball or not. We got lucky they missed shots at the end of the first half. sitting there waiting for them to shoot is not a good strategy when you are losing. I don't care how good he is...you have to do something.
This exactly!

Jay
01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
So just let him waste time and then beat a player off the dribble.........hmmmmmmm. He is good but he can't do it every time. Why not just concede the game because of one player?

I agree, but I think you have to change up your man to man defense... something we just never do. (we switched to some trapping at the end of the game, but I just can't see us doing that for an entire game)

Bison"FANatic"
01-22-2012, 05:29 PM
A few things to chew on about our team and also about last night. If SDSU doesn't shoot lights out from 3 we win. They were 45.8% from 3 for the game and were shooting 62.5 % in the first half. Just to compare those numbers Creighton is the percentage leader for the NCAA and they are shooting 45.1%. Congrats to SDSU last night they were hot and shot 6% better than they usually do. They only had 20 points in the paint compared to our 46. Some may not like the way we have been playing and being coached but we have been in every game.

Our losses
4pts to Western Illinois
3pts to Arizona state on a buzzer beater
4pts to Minnesota
9pts to ORU but we were a lot closet than the 9 points shows
5 points to UND
3 points to SDSU

This team is in every game and just needs to take that next step to start turning a few of those L's into W's

I would rather play our style of game than live and die by the 3 point shot and other outside shots like SDSU. It is hard to put together 3 good shooting nights in a row come tourney time. SDSU has 5 losses and all by double digits.

16pts Minnesota
11pts Georgia
12pts Nebraska
19pts UND
22pts ORU

Now do we have some places we can improve? Yep you betcha but step back and look at it objectively and you will see we actually are a good team. LA(yes a true freshman) and Braun need to step up and lead this team and things could get mighty interesting. So slow down on the crazy talk of not even making the tourney in Sioux Falls because it is just that Crazy talk.

BisonTeacher
01-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Anything can happen at tourney time...thats why they call it march madness. Having said that...Unless we figure out some things offensively, I wouldnt put any money on it.

1998braves64
01-22-2012, 07:31 PM
I like our chances because to me if trayvonn and taylor get hot in a game and start picking up defenders that may leave felt with more opportunities, they just haven't put together a good game yet (coaching or just players not executing whatever you want to believe) because they usually get off decent shots it just seems that they don't fall, then all the sudden somebody decides putting up a 3 and trying to cut the lead is a good idea and misses terribly and the other team transitions off that and puts down a 3 immediately and all the sudden what maybe looked like was going to be a 3 point ball game is 9 point because of that missed 3. If anything SDSU game proved to them that 2 pointers can chip away at the score too as that is where 32 of the 55 points came from along with 11 FT points.

jack power
01-22-2012, 10:34 PM
Anything can happen at tourney time...thats why they call it march madness. Having said that...Unless we figure out some things offensively, I wouldnt put any money on it.
I couldn't watch the 2nd half ,but was shocked to see the Bison scored 55 points. they must of got something figured out.

BisonBlogger
01-25-2012, 03:34 PM
With all the offensive issues discussed, I still think this team will score enough points to win most games. The help and recover issues on the defensive end is what needs to be solved by tournament time. Too many easy baskets at point blank range caused by the back line needing to help up to stop a penetrator. When good teams learn to help and recover well they become great teams.

BisonTeacher
01-25-2012, 03:43 PM
I couldn't watch the 2nd half ,but was shocked to see the Bison scored 55 points. they must of got something figured out.

CONSISTENCY....if we are going to make a run..I hope we get that figured out offensively.

*Bisonrube
01-26-2012, 01:39 AM
If Saul or anyone is watching Duke playing Maryland now..

That is how you defense the high pick that Wolters did 1,000 times. (Duke)

Check it out.