PDA

View Full Version : Forum Articles on Gateway Decision

Hammersmith
03-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Three Kolpack articles and a (funny)McFeely column.

Bison, Jackrabbits officially admitted into conference (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=158864)
Ranked teams litter Gateway (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=158882)
Great West hurt (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=158883)
School comes out of Big Sky rejection in very good shape (http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=158865)

Items of note:
- The cost: a $250,000 entry fee that is payable over a three-year period.
- NDSU is already committed to pay $150,000 in guarantees next fall with one home game yet to schedule.
- Taylor said attracting Sam Houston State (Texas) to Fargo will cost the Bison a $70,000 airplane charter and $30,000 cash.
- He’s paying Stephen F. Austin (Texas) $50,000.
- The Bison received $50,000 for playing at SFAU last year, but this year’s payment is still out of this year’s budget.
- NDSU and SDSU were voted in by “consensus,” according to Gateway Commissioner Patty Viverito. A 5-2 vote was needed for acceptance, but Viverito said the league does not release vote totals.
- The vote was most likely not unanimous. (She's been evading this question in interviews and during the press conference.)
- The Bison already have contracts to play Youngstown State, Western Illinois and South Dakota State.(for 2008)
- NDSU is scheduled to host Cal Poly and travel to California Davis and Southern Utah in 2008. Taylor said those games will probably not be played. He said there is no buyout.(also 2008)

McFeely quotes:

The most amazing thing happened Wednesday at the press conference announcing North Dakota State’s union with the Gateway Football Conference. Joe Chapman, Gene Taylor and Craig Bohl stood in unison, turned toward Ogden, Utah, and raised their middle fingers.

Or not.

But it would’ve made a great photo opportunity.

Big Sky? They don’t need no stinking Big Sky.

NDSU did better.

Who could’ve seen this coming a couple of years ago – Dec. 13, 2004, to be exact – when Taylor stood before the media assemblage looking like he’d been beaten with a pillow case filled with quarters? The Big Sky shooed away NDSU like a pesky groupie, embracing instead the pitiful athletic program that Northern Colorado has become.

All of NDSU’s eggs were in one basket. The Big Sky dropped the eggs on the sidewalk and sold the basket on eBay for $1.29.

tony
03-08-2007, 11:21 AM
For the love of Bison, please don't post a link to or refer to McFeely's piece on AGS because we don't need the rest of the FCS thinking that McFeely is speaking for NDSU... ever :)

I'm sure not a big fan of kicking a program (UNC) when they are down. Plus, I guess McFeely forgot that the BSC is an all-sports league - if we didn't have the Mid-Con, the BSC would be a much better conference home and the Gateway wouldn't be much of an option at all.

Hehe, not to get preachy, but what's wrong with just being thankful that things turned out great for our school? I'm thinking that being happy and thankful will make us a lot more welcome in DI than being vindictive and petty.

Good links though.

Edit: McFeely corrections/additions:

- Darrell Mudra coached at Western Illinois too (not just UNI).
- All-time, NDSU is 0-2 v Southern Illinois, 1-1 against Youngstown, 18-22 versus UNI, and 53-37-5 against SDSU (70-62-5, 19-25 not counting SDSU).

Hammersmith
03-08-2007, 10:11 PM
For the love of Bison, please don't post a link to or refer to McFeely's piece on AGS because we don't need the rest of the FCS thinking that McFeely is speaking for NDSU... ever :)
Uhhh.....no.

I'm getting as tired as anyone else about how a certain group of Bison fans are making us all look bad over on AGS. One in particular. >:(

NDSU1980
03-08-2007, 10:41 PM
[quote.

I'm getting as tired as anyone else about how a certain group of Bison fans are making us all look bad over on AGS. One in particular. >:([/quote]

Are you sure they are actually Bison fans? Sioux people have been know to impersonate Bison fans and make fools of themselves.

Gamehunter
03-09-2007, 12:43 AM
100k to get SHSU to Fargo.... and we still have to make a return game. I wonder what they pay us when we make the return game?

56BISON73
03-09-2007, 01:38 AM
""""The most amazing thing happened Wednesday at the press conference announcing North Dakota State’s union with the Gateway Football Conference. Joe Chapman, Gene Taylor and Craig Bohl stood in unison, turned toward Ogden, Utah, and raised their middle fingers.

Or not.

But it would’ve made a great photo opportunity. """"""

Did he REALLY print that???? If he did what a feaking moron. Absolutely no class whatsoever. PL

Killem
03-09-2007, 03:28 AM
Uhhh.....no.

I'm getting as tired as anyone else about how a certain group of Bison fans are making us all look bad over on AGS. One in particular. *>:(
I haven't seen that. There is one individual who has given we, Georgia Southern fans a hard time about how bad the "Georgia Southern Option" was/is. Otherwise, I seen Bison fans as confident and proud (as you should be) but not obnoxious. Y'all are good people to talk to.

Forgive me for butting in.

TheDoctor
03-09-2007, 05:04 AM
[quote.

I'm getting as tired as anyone else about how a certain group of Bison fans are making us all look bad over on AGS. One in particular. *>:(

Are you sure they are actually Bison fans? *Sioux people have been know to impersonate Bison fans and make fools of themselves.[/quote]

If you call Lakes a fan then yes. I am actually convinced he is a UND fan disguising as a belligerent NDSU fan to make us "real" NDSU fans look like idiots. So, maybe it is an UND fan but he is posing as a Bison fan. >:(

Hammersmith
03-09-2007, 10:35 AM
I'm getting as tired as anyone else about how a certain group of Bison fans are making us all look bad over on AGS. One in particular. >:(

Are you sure they are actually Bison fans? *Sioux people have been know to impersonate Bison fans and make fools of themselves.

If you call Lakes a fan then yes. *I am actually convinced he is a UND fan disguising as a belligerent NDSU fan to make us "real" NDSU fans look like idiots. *So, maybe it is an UND fan but he is posing as a Bison fan. * >:(
Although Lakes might not be our greatest ambassador(creating topics like "Gateway teams, let NDSU IN!!!!" and "Bye Bye Great West"), I was actually referring to MplsBison. Responding to something Ralph said, MplsBison wrote: "Mr. Defend-anything-associated-with-FCS-at-any-cost-including-logic speaks..." I was still a little hot when I read Tony's reply about AGS and I posted before I took my time-out rather than after. I probably should have cooled off first, but MplsBison gets under my skin as bad as Lakes gets under B1SON's.

WYOBISONMAN
03-09-2007, 12:50 PM
I think that the McFeely article was well written and called things pretty accurately. We did have the Big Sky slap us across the face because of geographical arrogance. And we have turned up a better deal. No one can question the fact that getting UNC instead of the xDSUs looks like a heck of a stupid move.

No doubt that McFeely offends the hell out of the UNC crowd, but thier program is bottom of the barrel and they are rather sensitive these days. What McFeely said in his column is pretty factual (except for the one fingered salute.....which may have well been in the back of the minds of our leaders). It was an entertaining read with some good humor in it.

mikelsch
03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
100k to get SHSU to Fargo.... and we still have to make a return game. *I wonder what they pay us when we make the return game?

Don't know for sure, but I think NDSU bought the Sam Houston game without a return. Will let you know if/when I find out.

2006gwfcchamps
03-09-2007, 04:00 PM
I hope not.

Need to get down to TX every couple of years.

Can't say that enough.

BearsCountry
03-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Indiana St would try if the rest of the MVC schools along with Wichita made the move.

BisonNeil
03-09-2007, 04:37 PM
I think that the McFeely article was well written and called things pretty accurately. *We did have the Big Sky slap us across the face because of geographical arrogance. *And we have turned up a better deal. *No one can question the fact that getting UNC instead of the xDSUs looks like a heck of a stupid move.

No doubt that McFeely offends the hell out of the UNC crowd, but thier program is bottom of the barrel and they are rather sensitive these days. *What McFeely said in his column is pretty factual (except for the one fingered salute.....which may have well been in the back of the minds of our leaders). *It was an entertaining read with some good humor in it.

I completely agree.

The problem with most Bison fans is they are too thin-skinned. Most of McFeely's stuff is tongue and cheek and most of you just go off on him, or anybody else who tries to interject reality into your dreamworld. Most of you are highly intolerant of scarcasm, the true sign of thin skin.

IowaBisonToo
03-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Uhhh.....no.

I haven't seen that. There is one individual who has given we, Georgia Southern fans a hard time about how bad the "Georgia Southern Option" was/is. Otherwise, I seen Bison fans as confident and proud (as you should be) but not obnoxious. Y'all are good people to talk to.

Forgive me for butting in.
No need for forgiveness, Killem. Thanks for the kind words.

TheDoctor
03-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Are you sure they are actually Bison fans? *Sioux people have been know to impersonate Bison fans and make fools of themselves.

If you call Lakes a fan then yes. *I am actually convinced he is a UND fan disguising as a belligerent NDSU fan to make us "real" NDSU fans look like idiots. *So, maybe it is an UND fan but he is posing as a Bison fan. * >:(
Although Lakes might not be our greatest ambassador(creating topics like "Gateway teams, let NDSU IN!!!!" and "Bye Bye Great West"), I was actually referring to MplsBison. Responding to something Ralph said, MplsBison wrote: "Mr. Defend-anything-associated-with-FCS-at-any-cost-including-logic speaks..." I was still a little hot when I read Tony's reply about AGS and I posted before I took my time-out rather than after. I probably should have cooled off first, but MplsBison gets under my skin as bad as Lakes gets under B1SON's.

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Is it that obvious?

NDSUFREAK10
03-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Was there a MplsBison spotting on here? They sure are a populated mammal on AGS! ;D

Hammersmith
03-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Was there a MplsBison spotting on here? They sure are a populated mammal on AGS! ;D
All the f'n time. I am 99% sure that he(MplsBison) re-registered under the name 2006gwfcchamps after his fit-n-quit. They have the same opinions, the same attitude, the same posting style(short sentence fragments separated by white space - reminds me of William Shatner), and for some reason when 2006gwfcchamps posts here, MplsBison is posting on siouxsports and AGS. When one logs off, so does the other.

Oh, and they're the only posters that drive me absolutely bat s--t crazy. :o :o :o :o :'(

Honestly, I don't think it's that big a deal that he posts under 2 names, and I admit I might be wrong about the whole thing, but I'm not. 8-) ;)

Trimmy
03-09-2007, 08:56 PM
All the f'n time. I am 99% sure that he(MplsBison) re-registered under the name 2006gwfcchamps after his fit-n-quit. They have the same opinions, the same attitude, the same posting style(short sentence fragments separated by white space - reminds me of William Shatner), and for some reason when 2006gwfcchamps posts here, MplsBison is posting on siouxsports and AGS. When one logs off, so does the other.

Oh, and they're the only posters that drive me absolutely bat s--t crazy. *:o :o :o :o :'(

Honestly, I don't think it's that big a deal that he posts under 2 names, and I admit I might be wrong about the whole thing, but I'm not. *8-) ;)

You mean 1234 actually irritates people? ;)

Hammersmith
03-09-2007, 09:07 PM
You mean 1234 actually irritates people? *;)
Unfortunately(or fortunately?), I missed 1234. I think I found this board just after he quit, was banned, ran off into the sunset, whatever. I can only take your, and others, word that they are one and the same. However, I am certain that MplsBison and Lakes are NOT the same person. MB doesn't use enough CAPS and !!!!!!OMFG!!!!!'s. ;D ;D ;D

Scooter
03-09-2007, 09:48 PM
I think that the McFeely article was well written and called things pretty accurately. *We did have the Big Sky slap us across the face because of geographical arrogance. *And we have turned up a better deal. *No one can question the fact that getting UNC instead of the xDSUs looks like a heck of a stupid move.

No doubt that McFeely offends the hell out of the UNC crowd, but thier program is bottom of the barrel and they are rather sensitive these days. *What McFeely said in his column is pretty factual (except for the one fingered salute.....which may have well been in the back of the minds of our leaders). *It was an entertaining read with some good humor in it.

I completely agree.

The problem with most Bison fans is they are too thin-skinned. Most of McFeely's stuff is tongue and cheek and most of you just go off on him, or anybody else who tries to interject reality into your dreamworld. *Most of you are highly intolerant of scarcasm, the true sign of thin skin.

The big problem with McFeeley is exactly what you admit to, BisonNeil. *This fact that most of what he writes is tongue and cheek. *So, how the hell does he expect to be taken seriously. *He had a few good points but he fell into his same tired "crap on as many people as you can while hiding behind the newspaper" bullshit. *We rip on him because he has no regard for ethics what-so-ever. *Please explain how UNC deserved the crap that was written about them in this article? *Additionally, the finger towards Ogden Utah remark was frankly, not the way I want NDSU or the city of Fargo to seen in the FCS. *If this is the way you want to be veiwed in the FCS then you really are not that bright.

Remember last year when he ripped on some of the parents and kids that had come up for the pee wee hockey tournament? * He put a (tongue in cheek) *discaimer for the Fargo chamber of commerce in his article before making an ass out of himself and the town of Fargo which he represents by writing for the Forum. *It's sad that the Forum doesn't realize this. *If they do, they don't care.* *

bisonaudit
03-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Devil's advocate:

Does Sid Hartman represent the Twin Cities?
Barerro?
Common?

How about Wilbon and Kornheiser? Do their opinions color your perception of Washington DC?

What about Klosterman? who does he speak for? Lidgerwood? Grand Forks? Fargo? all of North Dakota? Ohio? New York City?

Scooter
03-09-2007, 10:25 PM
Devil's advocate:

Does Sid Hartman represent the Twin Cities?
Barerro?
Common?

How about Wilbon and Kornheiser? *Do their opinions color your perception of Washington DC?

What about Klosterman? *who does he speak for? *Lidgerwood? *Grand Forks? Fargo? all of North Dakota? Ohio? *New York City?

Point taken. However, if my dog continues to shit on my rug, at what point is it my fault that I haven't at the very least kicked his ass out of my house? Sid, Barrio, and Kornheiser aren't shitting on my livingroom carpet. (so to speak)

DIBISON
03-10-2007, 04:45 AM
Forum Editorial: NDSU joins excellent conference.

http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/158896

sambini
03-10-2007, 12:43 PM
That was a nice piece and it was right on. Thanks to the Forum.