PDA

View Full Version : Bragging about the 2009 tourney bid

4mcruenomore
01-18-2012, 02:30 AM
Seriously, if I hear one more announcer or see one more post hanging a hat on the 2009 tourney bid I am going to puke.

lakesbozo
01-18-2012, 02:30 AM
tim miles?

EndZoneQB
01-18-2012, 02:39 AM
Fair enough, but does that mean we won't hear you mention the national championship win after next season if we don't win again? ;)

VanClubPres
01-18-2012, 03:13 AM
The 2009 team lost to Southern Utah, at home no less. SUU finished the 09 season with an RPI of 266, about where the Whioux are. The true test to see where this team is at will be Saturday.

I heard it!!

4mcruenomore
01-18-2012, 03:20 AM
I heard it!!

I read that too and just shook my head, I did burp hard though too

WYOBISONMAN
01-18-2012, 03:25 AM
I read that too and just shook my head, I did burp hard though too

LMAO.......Dave....you are exceptionally witty tonight.....must rep on that one.....LOL!

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
01-18-2012, 03:33 AM
Seriously, if I hear one more announcer or see one more post hanging a hat on the 2009 tourney bid I am going to puke.

It is kind of embarrassing who many people live in the past of the 09 team and Ben Woodside. Our team will EASILY surpass that 09 team by the time our Soph class is Seniors. Our team next year will be better too.

Do people consider Woodside the best player in NDSU history? If so, he will end up being 3rd or 4th best in 4 years.

NorthernBison
01-18-2012, 03:37 AM
It is kind of embarrassing who many people live in the past of the 09 team and Ben Woodside. Our team will EASILY surpass that 09 team by the time our Soph class is Seniors. Our team next year will be better too.

Do people consider Woodside the best player in NDSU history? If so, he will end up being 3rd or 4th best in 4 years.

I believe that team beat #15 WISCONSIN as Sophomores.

This team could hang with Sconnie for about a minute.

NDSUstudent
01-18-2012, 03:40 AM

There were actually freshman when they beat sconnie and sophomores when they beat Marquette.

That said this team is way ahead of were that team was at defensively but we have a ways to go on the other side of the ball.

NDSU_grad
01-18-2012, 03:55 AM
I wasn't bragging about the 09 tourney appearance. My point was that team made the tourney even though they lost to a crappy SUU team at home. The debacle tonight was just one game and will have no bearing on what they can do the rest of the season.

NorthernBison
01-18-2012, 03:58 AM
I wasn't bragging about the 09 tourney appearance. My point was that team made the tourney even though they lost to a crappy SUU team at home. The debacle tonight was just one game and will have no bearing on what they can do the rest of the season.

Yeah but, it keeps us from talking smack. That's the real tragedy.

NDSU_grad
01-18-2012, 04:01 AM
Yeah but, it keeps us from talking smack. That's the real tragedy.
My bad. Please carry on with the board meltdown.

EndZoneQB
01-18-2012, 04:18 AM
There were actually freshman when they beat sconnie and sophomores when they beat Marquette.

That said this team is way ahead of were that team was at defensively but we have a ways to go on the other side of the ball.

Do we have a pure scorer yet? Woodside was just a guy that knew how to score the ball. That helps you jump up and upset someone.

NDSUstudent
01-18-2012, 04:24 AM
Do we have a pure scorer yet? Woodside was just a guy that knew how to score the ball. That helps you jump up and upset someone.

Braun is getting there but he was off tonight. That said this team is more in the Wisconsin mold, in that we grind it out and win with defense so we don't exactly need a prolific scorer. We still need somebody to take over at the end of games, Braun did that at SUU and vs UMKC but like I said he didn't have it tonight.

EndZoneQB
01-18-2012, 04:34 AM
Braun is getting there but he was off tonight. That said this team is more in the Wisconsin mold, in that we grind it out and win with defense so we don't exactly need a prolific scorer. We still need somebody to take over at the end of games, Braun did that at SUU and vs UMKC but like I said he didn't have it tonight.

You still have to have a guy that can step up when it's needed the most. Sometimes it might shift to someone else(Tveidt v Oakland) if your go-to guy is having an off night, they all just need to step up.

NDSUstudent
01-18-2012, 04:37 AM
You still have to have a guy that can step up when it's needed the most. Sometimes it might shift to someone else(Tveidt v Oakland) if your go-to guy is having an off night, they all just need to step up.

Well I will say LA need to pick his game up a bit, he has been a bit off and early in the season his play really helped us close out a few games. Would also like to see Bjorklund get a bit more assertive.

Jay
01-18-2012, 04:58 AM
LA needs to take about a 1000 jumpers a day. His outside shot sucks.

bisonfan08
01-18-2012, 01:29 PM
Both LA and Felt have been a little cold lately, Hale has been playing better, Braun has disappeared early in games only to come on strong at the end and Bjorklund is an animal. Tray has been doing a very very very good job at playing within his comfort zone, seen way less bad shots lately and his jumper is starting to fall. We need to keep feeding Marshall the ball in the post and Braun needs to be going 110% from the tip off instead of waiting until the 2nd half, he's the spark to the fire of this offense and he needs to step up and take this team on his back. Plenty of weapons to go around, but he's our star and needs to make it known.

Bison03
01-18-2012, 02:40 PM
My assessment: LA is a good manager of the offense. He needs more drives to the hoop and drives that he kicks out to an open shooter. Braun is explosive and can get to the hoop, but he needs to finish or at least get fouled. Trey's got ups, he can rebound and make big plays. If his jump shot can improve he will be a real threat. Hale is a lock down defender, no doubt. But his shot selection is poor sometimes. I don't want him taking threes. Felt is in a little slump right now. And shooting 40% from behind the arc is indeed a slump for him. We need to run more screens to give him better, and more open looks. Marshall has been the most consistent. He gets easy shots down low because he knows how to move around in the low post. He rebounds well too. We are still a good team. WE have won 5 of our last seven games and have a 13-5 record. That's pretty damn good. Can we improve, yes. Any loss hurts, this one may hurt more to fans but to coaches and players any loss sucks. We need to step up big time in a more important game this saturday vs sdsu.

344Johnson
01-18-2012, 02:45 PM
I'm happy that we have a team thats good enough for me to be pissed off when we lose...but come on! Win these types of games. Oh....keep the streak going this weekend.

BisonSD
01-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Hale has been playing better ....known.
If stats are correct - which I know they sometimes are not -
Hale was 1 of 4 from 3 pt line. Played 23 minutes, had 1 rebound, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 2 fouls, 3 pts, 0 steals.
It was painful watching him. Theres still a little room for improvement.

grizlandbisonfan
01-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Hale was 1 of 4 from 3 pt line. Played 23 minutes, had 1 rebound, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 2 fouls, 3 pts.

Did you see him play defense tonight? He was outstanding. There are two ends to a basketball court.

BisonSD
01-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Right - there are two ends to a basketball court. Hopefully he improves on at least one end of it

BisonJD
01-18-2012, 03:36 PM

This Bison team could hang with Wiscy for an entire game because they are almost mirror images of one another. Play defense and stand around on offense and watch one player (Braun/LA) try to make something happen....just like Wiscy does with Jordan Taylor. I realize Saul is a Bo Ryan disciple, but for Christ's sake he needs to branch out and open up the offense. When we get a 5+ point lead, we act like the game is over and take the air out of the ball and end up terrible shots late in the shot clock. If Braun is going to be our scorer and surpass Woody...he's got a long way to go.

CAS4127
01-18-2012, 06:43 PM
This Bison team could hang with Wiscy for an entire game because they are almost mirror images of one another. Play defense and stand around on offense and watch one player (Braun/LA) try to make something happen....just like Wiscy does with Jordan Taylor. I realize Saul is a Bo Ryan disciple, but for Christ's sake he needs to branch out and open up the offense. When we get a 5+ point lead, we act like the game is over and take the air out of the ball and end up terrible shots late in the shot clock. If Braun is going to be our scorer and surpass Woody...he's got a long way to go.

Does anyone know whether Vigen and Saul are good friends who share offensive philosophies with one another over beers or lolipops??!!

BisonBlogger
01-18-2012, 08:41 PM
I realize that many of the fans of this current team likes their team over the 09 group and rightfully so. That is the way it should be. They are on track to do some great things in the next two or three years IMO but here is some perspective when comparing stats against the two teams.

First of all, Woodside 2315 pts (19.6 average with 5.4 assists per game) , Nelson 1562 pts (13.2 average with 50% overall FG percentage including 208 threes shooting at a 434% clip) and Winkleman (1962 (16.6 average with 7.4 rebounds). All three of these guys averaged double figures for four years straight. This is rare for any division one player today let alone having three guys do it. Only guy to approach them so far is Braun who averaged 8.2 last season.

Braun who has a legitimate chance to crack the career top ten list is averaging 11 points a game with 518 points through 47 games so far. If he is fortunate enough to finish his career as a starter and play the equivalent 118 games total the other guys did, he will need to average 14.7 points to get past Nelson in 7th place. Looks doable at this point but getting past Winks and Woody will be very difficult.

Marshall is averaging 10 per game so far and may also be able to reach the top ten.

Grizzled
01-18-2012, 09:04 PM
Hale was 1 of 4 from 3 pt line. Played 23 minutes, had 1 rebound, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, 2 fouls, 3 pts, 0 steals.

Yeah but he gave a salute to either the UND student section or the guy who was guarding him after he scored those 3 points.

BisonSD
01-18-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah but he gave a salute to either the UND student section or the guy who was guarding him after he scored those 3 points.

Yes, That and Braun going after that player for the foul bothered me. Saul saying it was just 2 people
Playing basketball bothers me even more. He has sone real attitudes to deal with and ignoring behavior like that isn't very classy of him

herdmember
01-19-2012, 11:43 PM
Yes, That and Braun going after that player for the foul bothered me. Saul saying it was just 2 people
Playing basketball bothers me even more. He has sone real attitudes to deal with and ignoring behavior like that isn't very classy of him

I agree with this. On TV it wasn't as bad as I was afraid it was, but Braun and Hale's oncourt demeanor is tough to watch sometimes. I loved how our football team carried themselves this year whether they won or lost. I think Braun is dynamite, but I'm questioning his and Hale's body language this year.

gizmo
01-21-2012, 12:57 PM
Moral victories don't mean squat.

unbison
01-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Does anyone know whether Vigen and Saul are good friends who share offensive philosophies with one another over beers or lolipops??!!
One has to wonder?

Gully
01-21-2012, 02:17 PM
I agree regarding Hale, I haven't like his attitude. I don't have that big of a problem with Braun, the guy pulled him down and he let him know he didn't appreciate it. He didn't punch, kick, or even shove him. No problem with it at all, you can't let people push you around. At least he has some fire and gets after it, unlike Tray standing there flat footed while someone who's half the athlete he is gets an easy dunk behind him. Braun just didn't make the plays he usually does...it happens.

4mcruenomore
01-22-2012, 04:55 PM
I am not impressed with our basketball team, sorry. I will stick to football.

344Johnson
01-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Sky falling. Season over. Seriously, playing like dogshit of late.

tony
01-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Meh. Woodside and Co. lost a lot of winnable games too. I'm still on the BB Bandwagon.

North Side
01-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Meh. Woodside and Co. lost a lot of winnable games too. I'm still on the BB Bandwagon.

some fans are WAY too fair weather.... where were all the football fans when we had the 3 win season? I am still going to watch this team!