PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior: Austin Richard

NDSUBowler
01-14-2012, 12:07 AM
What can we say about a true member of Sam's Rams??? Coached by Sam before college, its fitting that he joined NDSU and was a key member of the Rams during this years Bison title run. I am proud he came from my high school (Fargo South) and very glad he has been able to spend his collegiate career at NDSU.

This guy plays with fire and attitude every time he comes out...sure it may lead to a few moments of frustration, but it is who he is and I wouldn't take it any other way. He shut down all-conference opponents this year (Boothby) and he moved to center when playing 3-4 defenses, which helped the team overcome their past 3-4 deficiencies. He won multiple MVFC player of the weeks.

This guy did it all and I couldn't be happier to send him off with a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP RING!!!

NDSU will miss you Big Rich!

HandoEX
01-14-2012, 01:36 AM
One of my all-time favorites. It's pretty incredible how versatile he was playing center, guard and tackle all this year. He is one bad ass son of a bitch!

herdmember
01-14-2012, 03:20 AM
Toughness is:
1) Getting a 4-6 week injury at Western Illinois and being back in 2 weeks for playoffs with apparently zero adverse effects.
2) Having your coach move you in front of the other team's best d lineman, and it working each time.

The 15 yarders were admittedly frustrating. I think the 3-8 season was the worst, and he received some of the penalties the last couple years on a bad reputation. You take the good with the bad, and there was a TON of good. Plus, always great to have a local kid that grew up a Bison fan as one of your leaders.

Big shoes to fill.

IBleedYellow
01-14-2012, 03:54 AM
Great guy! Hot headed, and those 15 yards sometimes came during key drives. Brock covered this guys butt just as much as he covered Brock's. Would love to have him another year.

Bison Fin
01-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Big shoes to fill! Great guy, I personally love his football attitude. Those fifteen yarders can be frustrating as a fan to watch but, how many times after a penalty has he went out and just absolutely crush somebody? I'm also wondering how many he got on reputation? Ex. The ewu game last year. I've known Austin since kindergarten and its been fun watching him instead of him kicking my ass every day on the Fargo south practice field. Guy is the true definition of an absolute beast!

BisonNeil
01-14-2012, 02:32 PM
I think we will miss him even more next year when some team puts a big, physical nosepeg over Lund/Hinz. And in the "for what it is worth department", Hinz needs to get a bunch bigger and stronger to play a significant role next year, in my opinion.

KilldeerBison
01-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Austin is "The Man", not going to intimidate Mr Richard, it was fun to watch him this year, great job!

Mr. Burgundy
01-14-2012, 02:56 PM
I think we will miss him even more next year when some team puts a big, physical nosepeg over Lund/Hinz. And in the "for what it is worth department", Hinz needs to get a bunch bigger and stronger to play a significant role next year, in my opinion.

I know you like to overanalyze things, especially the O Line, but you have to remember, Hinz did not redshirt, was an absolute STUD as a true freshman starting in road playoff games when Lund was hurt last year, didn't play much this year as he waited his time, but I fully expect him to be a very good regular on our line in his last two years. Cornick didn't come in at 308 either. He isn't a concern of mine at all. With that being said, I agree that Austin will be missed and when Fuchs made critical/key adjustments on the line this year Austin shined. He will be missed. Lund ended up having a very nice season as well. Encouraged by these guys. Excited to see who is next to step up on the line.

SDbison
01-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Unless you played on an offensive line some of you don't have a clue. It gets nasty and there is no room for the soft hearted. For the few times Austin got called for penalties during the season his mean tough attitude on the line paid off ten times more by dominating the guy in front of him. NDSU was lucky to have such a great lineman who was a local kid and bled for the Bison. Thanks Austin and good luck in the future!

westriver bison
01-14-2012, 06:20 PM
Unless you played on an offensive line some of you don't have a clue. It gets nasty and there is no room for the soft hearted. For the few times Austin got called for penalties during the season his mean tough attitude on the line paid off ten times more by dominating the guy in front of him. NDSU was lucky to have such a great lineman who was a local kid and bled for the Bison. Thanks Austin and good luck in the future!

That's what I wanted to write.

Civil06
01-14-2012, 07:50 PM
I didn't know how Austin would be coming out of South. His teams were so good that I didn't know how good he was as an individual. What a player - the kind of mean lineman with a team first attitude that championship teams need. Austin, you make Bison fans very proud.

During his last radio interview, he mentioned being a criminal justice major. I don't know what he plans on doing with his degree, but I would love to be watching the first time some drunk idiot gives him a little shove. Good luck in your career, Austin!

BisonTeacher
01-14-2012, 10:25 PM
That's what I wanted to write.

I really hope we can replace these O-Line seniors seamlessly. Its gonna be tough to do.

CAS4127
01-15-2012, 08:34 PM
My favorite player on the team. I will miss watching him play. One mean, intense SOB. The first time I brought one of my friends to a game, he asked about Austin, as he saw him pancake a defender 3 consecutive plays.

Thanks for the fun, Austin!!

westnodak93bison
01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
He was fun to watch. Any chance he gets a free agent look?

HoopsBison
01-15-2012, 09:23 PM
An absolute warrior for the team and the o-line. Played effectively at any position you asked him to and was a weapon that we used against bigger and stronger players. As noted when playing the line you need to be nasty and physical and he was all that an more.

Also gotta love the he was a local kid from Fargo and was able to accomplish what he did. It will be interesting if he tries to pursue an outside chance at football beyond college or hangs up the cleats and moves on to his next chapter.

Best of luck to him in his future and it was a pleasure watching him play.

perthbison
01-15-2012, 10:46 PM
Agree with the previous posts. It all starts up front and you earned your ring. Good kuck in your future goals.

PaBizon
01-16-2012, 01:41 AM
If you had to pick anyone on this team to walk down a dark alley with you it would easily be Austin. Mean, nasty and played through the whistle every play. Will be very very hard to replace his mean streak and versatility. I hope he gets a shot in a camp somewhere because I believe these two traits will land him a spot on a team. Good Luck Austin!

TateMosersneighbor
01-16-2012, 02:01 AM
I don't care what anyone types about him, I considered it a blessing to see a 15 yarder called on him early in each and every game, that confirmed for me that he was playing with that "edge" that made him an absolute stud. Loved how he played the game. There is another thread going asking us when we knew we had a shot at a title, for me it was the time I read about Austin's quote on preparing for the UNI game...the quote was something like "9 and 42"...those were the number of sacks and rushing yards we had against UNI in 2010...and Austin said he wasn't ever going to forget those numbers. That was the time I knew we'd handle UNI and if we kept the edge, could contend for the NC.

Awesome Bison football player, to grow up around the tradition and to add to it like he did, wow.

tony
01-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Richard didn't just pancake guys - he would reap them like wheat and then grind them into flour.

KilldeerBison
01-16-2012, 04:09 PM
I don't care what anyone types about him, I considered it a blessing to see a 15 yarder called on him early in each and every game, that confirmed for me that he was playing with that "edge" that made him an absolute stud. Loved how he played the game. There is another thread going asking us when we knew we had a shot at a title, for me it was the time I read about Austin's quote on preparing for the UNI game...the quote was something like "9 and 42"...those were the number of sacks and rushing yards we had against UNI in 2010...and Austin said he wasn't ever going to forget those numbers. That was the time I knew we'd handle UNI and if we kept the edge, could contend for the NC..
He really stood up for our QB & RB's at the bottom of piles, Austin didn't seem to like other team players messing with Bison players. The saying goes, it is usually the second guy/foul that is caught, I think this happened to Austin alot.

Herd Mentality
01-16-2012, 04:12 PM
I like the bigger story. Local (in-town) kid picks NDSU over bigger schools elsewhere that were eager for his services. Seems to me it was Iowa that was giving him the full court press.

Thanks Austin.

roper1313
01-16-2012, 10:45 PM
If you had to pick anyone on this team to walk down a dark alley with you it would easily be Austin. !

Coach Bohl said the exact same thing to me over a couple of beers 3 weeks ago. my wife had Austin as a student and has always been great interacting with us and our kids. Good Luck Austin!!!

PaBizon
01-16-2012, 11:23 PM
I was talking to Austin's dad down in Frisco and he said Iowa was very much interested in him. He said Austin always wanted to be a Bison from the time he started playing fb. Glad he did!