PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior: Paul Cornick

tony
01-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Paul Cornick was, literally, a huge part of the Bison offense. In addition to all the other honors he received, College Sporting News named him Offensive Lineman of The Year. Not bad for a guy who doesn't get talked about a whole lot since, while Bison fans appreciate their offensive line, the appreciation is usually for the unit as a whole.

Mr. Burgundy
01-13-2012, 05:01 PM
Hearing depending on early entries, he will get invited to the combine and be a late round draft pick. Kid is a monster. I wish I could find the tape, but I remember Bohl saying at one point the kid came to NDSU something like 225lbs? HELLO. Kid will go down as one of the all time best lineman. Congrats on a great career.

tcbison
01-13-2012, 05:02 PM
Correct me if if I am wrong but I think I saw he allowed 1 sack his whole career. Paul was been amazing on the OL and a very humble person as well.

Gully
01-13-2012, 05:02 PM
I remember a screen play at Eastern Washington where the big guy hustled and was 30 yards downfield blocking. Great anchor on the line. He will be missed and I hope he gets a shot at the next level. His parents are pretty cool as well, they missed the charter flight to EWU from Minneapolis due to work and the flight leaving early, so they drove to Fargo in the middle of the night and through a storm to catch the charter in Fargo!

CAS4127
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
He was outstanding!!! 1495 Some BIG shoes to fill there!!!

Thanks, Paul!!!

BadlandsBison
01-13-2012, 05:14 PM
I don't know where they found a helmet big enough for Paul.

Great career!

HoopsBison
01-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Not only a great player but a even better leader. Everything you want out of a player and more. Certainly one of the best rams to wear the Bison jersey. We were spoiled with his level of play and there will be some big shoes to fill.

Best of luck to Cornick in his future and really hope he get a shot to catch on at the next level.

onbison09
01-13-2012, 05:48 PM
The thing about the line is it's almost like the average fan doesn't notice them unless they screw up (or make an unreal block). I didn't notice Paul that much but that's because he did his job

SDbison
01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
Cornick was a great offensive tackle for the Bison and will truly be missed. Good luck Paul......hope you can keep on playing in the NFL.

Bisondan
01-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Cornick is an absolute beast that will be nearly impossible to replace. Wish him the best in the NFL!

BisonTeacher
01-13-2012, 07:41 PM
All our O-line seniors will be missed. I hope we can replace Cornick. He literally has big shoes to fill.

Kermit
01-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Hearing depending on early entries, he will get invited to the combine and be a late round draft pick. Kid is a monster. I wish I could find the tape, but I remember Bohl saying at one point the kid came to NDSU something like 225lbs? HELLO. Kid will go down as one of the all time best lineman. Congrats on a great career.

Burgundy is right about everything except the 225 lb bit. According to the roster (http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2007), he was 295# as a true freshman.

Cornick is a beast. For the past two seasons, Coach Fuchs has called him the best lineman he has ever coached. He is physical, athletic, and smart. Not a bad combo. Good luck, Paul!

BadlandsBison
01-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Burgundy is right about everything except the 225 lb bit. According to the roster (http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2007), he was 295# as a true freshman.

Cornick is a beast. For the past two seasons, Coach Fuchs has called him the best lineman he has ever coached. He is physical, athletic, and smart. Not a bad combo. Good luck, Paul!

He was 225 in 8th grade according to answer guy's records

Answer Guy
01-13-2012, 08:08 PM
He was 225 in 8th grade according to answer guy's records

I guessed 230 straight off the plane during his recruiting trip.

BadlandsBison
01-13-2012, 08:12 PM

:rofl: :D :D

perthbison
01-13-2012, 10:57 PM
Burgundy is right about everything except the 225 lb bit. According to the roster (http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&Q_SEASON=2007), He is physical, athletic, and smart. Not a bad combo.
and He is a Bison who helped us win a championship. Good luck whereever you are next year.

HandoEX
01-14-2012, 01:45 AM
Multiple All American awards and a National Championship for the big guy. Not a bad way to close out a career. What a great tackle...one of the best in school history.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-14-2012, 01:59 AM

AG,

Were you in Frisco?

Answer Guy
01-14-2012, 02:15 AM
AG,

Were you in Frisco?

No. All those Bisonviller wives were smiling about something else.

VanClubPres
01-14-2012, 04:12 AM
No. All those Bisonviller wives were smiling about something else.

Those were not smiles.

They were giggles.

Back on topic. By far one of the most missed seniors. What a stud. Hope Paul gets a shot.

CAS4127
01-14-2012, 08:04 AM

Similar to ur brain cells-->I understand, slowly of course. I know one or two things!! Luv u man!!

westnodak93bison
02-24-2012, 02:13 AM
interesting read
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/paul-cornick?id=2533445

MNLonghorn10
02-24-2012, 09:16 PM
6-5, 310

http://walterfootball.com/combine2012OL.php

25 reps on the bench press...about the middle of the pack. some michigan dude did it 41 times. holy

tony
02-24-2012, 09:25 PM
6-5, 310

http://walterfootball.com/combine2012OL.php

25 reps on the bench press...about the middle of the pack. some michigan dude did it 41 times. holy

Just guessing that the Michigan guy has shorter arms than Cornick (and I read Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman so I'm a physicist.)

(time passes)

OK, I checked and the Michigan guy is 6-1 and his arms are two inches shorter. Just awarded myself the Nobel Prize.

aces1180
02-24-2012, 09:25 PM
Just guessing that the Michigan guy has shorter arms that Cornick (and I read Five Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman so I'm a physicist now.)

(time passes)

OK, I checked and the Michigan guy is 6-1 and his arms are two inches shorter. Just awarded myself the Nobel Prize.

:rofl: lollolol

EndZoneQB
02-24-2012, 10:35 PM
Just guessing that the Michigan guy has shorter arms than Cornick (and I read Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman so I'm a physicist.)

(time passes)

It's actually 3. Prize revoked.

Wally
02-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Paul will be on NFL network soon. Also broadcast on nfl.com

From Dom's twitter
#NDSU FB fans: former offensive tackle and All-American Paul Cornick will participate in the #NFL Combine tomorrow 8am on @nflnetwork

EDIT: Announcers he was not working out at the combine at this time

North Side
02-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Saw the guy from South Dakota go for the 40 and then Paul was listed next, but he didn't go? Did he pull something?

mhyer63
02-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Watching the combine live today, Cornick was suppose to do his 40 yard dash, but did not run, no comment from the announcer as to why, any info from someone what was going on. I'm not even sure if he was there, he is #11 in the OL class of the combine.

Buffalo Ridge Bison
02-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Paul is walking around with the first group of O linemen, but he is limping.

mhyer63
02-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Looks like Paul is laying an egg at the combine.

westnodak93bison
02-26-2012, 02:10 PM
Looks like Paul is laying an egg at the combine.

What evidence do you have? Appears he was hurt?

mhyer63
02-27-2012, 12:12 AM
What evidence do you have? Appears he was hurt?

Which means he is laying an egg still. Not showing the scouts anything hurt or not is laying an egg. He was average at best in the bench press, and no stats on him for any other event. Can't make the pros if you can't show them something, and this is where he needs to do it since playing FCS football the NFL is going to look at what he did in games as if he was up against lesser competition. He is going to have to kick ass in his pro day.

BisonNation11
02-27-2012, 12:20 AM
From what I've heard he has had some back problems. Something with a couple discs...

mhyer63
02-27-2012, 01:15 AM
From what I've heard he has had some back problems. Something with a couple discs...

My GF was his prof during the football season, she said there were days that his back was in a lot of pain and he had trouble sitting in class.

IzzyFlexion
02-27-2012, 01:18 AM

An offensive lineman's worst enemy. Sucks for Paul.

CaBisonFan
02-27-2012, 03:23 AM
Not good...I've had two back surgeries, and I have no idea how you play football with a bad back. It takes your legs out from under you.

HoopsBison
02-27-2012, 05:15 AM
Tough break for Paul this weekend. Hopefully he can get healthy and catch on and get a look with somebody. I would have to imagine the combine results/inactivity will eliminate any chance at getting drafted.

4mcruenomore
02-27-2012, 01:24 PM
The combine is so over rated imo. Big deal, a guy can jump really high and hit some colored sticks, doesn't mean he can play football well. Hopefully Paul can get healthy and doesn't have major back problems his whole life. Maybe it's not worth it, I see people come in the clinic everyday with back problems, it's a hard road for some people.

mhyer63
02-27-2012, 03:13 PM
The combine is so over rated imo. Big deal, a guy can jump really high and hit some colored sticks, doesn't mean he can play football well. Hopefully Paul can get healthy and doesn't have major back problems his whole life. Maybe it's not worth it, I see people come in the clinic everyday with back problems, it's a hard road for some people.

I agree with you about 80% of the combine is bull. I think IMO that the sprint/speed drills and the interview are the most important parts. Speed, well speed kills, and the interview so they can get into the mind of the player (face it who wants to pick a guy if his heart just is not into it ). Who cares if a OL has a 48 inch vertical jump,they are suppose to keep their feet on the ground anyway. Or if he can bench 225lbs 41 times, all he needs is leverage on the DL and stay between him and the guy with the ball. A lot of the other drills make me wonder as well.

Bison06
02-27-2012, 03:28 PM
I agree with you about 80% of the combine is bull. I think IMO that the sprint/speed drills and the interview are the most important parts. Speed, well speed kills, and the interview so they can get into the mind of the player (face it who wants to pick a guy if his heart just is not into it ). Who cares if a OL has a 48 inch vertical jump,they are suppose to keep their feet on the ground anyway. Or if he can bench 225lbs 41 times, all he needs is leverage on the DL and stay between him and the guy with the ball. A lot of the other drills make me wonder as well.

I agree with you, unfortunately the NFL personell guys do not. They put a lot of stock in a player's "measurables" and with Paul being at a disadvantage coming from NDSU, a poor combine performance will almost certainly take him out of the running for being drafted.

When spending that kind of money on guys they like to be able to justify it with some sort of tangible evidence that they are making a good decision.

eg. Troy Williamson, everybody knew he was an awful receiver, but he ran a 4.3 so they drafted him in the first round.

SamsRams
02-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Man I was really looking forward to seeing Compton and Cornick back to back in drills. Hope he heals up for pro day!!