PDA

View Full Version : Target on our Backs...

heffray
01-12-2012, 02:37 PM
So we are already thinking ahead, it looks like. I'm curious to know when the schedule is announced or if it already has been announced, and if someone could post it on here or in a new thread, that would be cool. Given what happened 2 weeks after the we took the #1 spot, when Youngstown came into town and shocked us, I'm wondering what you all think we will do next year. Without looking at the actual schedule it'd be tough to speculate, but I think every team we face, especially from the Valley, will be gunning for us all the more. Maybe they don't need the extra motivation, I don't know, just a thought.

KSBisonFan
01-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Football - 2012 Schedule

Date Opponent Location Time (CST) Resultsfoshcedule Media
Sat, Sep 01 Robert Morris Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Sep 08 Colorado State at Fort Collins, Colo. TBA

Sat, Sep 29 Northern Iowa * at Cedar Falls, Iowa TBA

Sat, Oct 06 Youngstown State (Homecoming) * Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 13 Indiana State * Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 20 South Dakota * at Vermillion, S.D. TBA

Sat, Oct 27 Southern Illinois (Harvest Bowl) * Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Nov 03 Missouri State * at Springfield, Mo. TBA

Sat, Nov 10 South Dakota State (Dakota Marker) * Fargo, N.D. TBA

Sat, Nov 17 Illinois State * at Normal, Ill. TBA

* Conference Games

heffray
01-12-2012, 02:46 PM
Football - 2012 Schedule

Thank you! Should have known they had it already...

Strommer10
01-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Anyone know of possible games that will be between CSU and UNI? We have two weeks off and I would think Gene would like to keep the week before UNI as a bye week.

NorthernBison
01-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Anyone know of possible games that will be between CSU and UNI? We have two weeks off and I would think Gene would like to keep the week before UNI as a bye week.

I doubt if we will hear anything until an official announcement is made (after a signed contract is in hand).

There is a website that shows all open dates so the field of potential opponents is out there.

KSBisonFan
01-12-2012, 02:57 PM

I agree. This season we scheduled the bye before the Minnesota game and that turned out pretty well. I'd assume there aren't a ton of teams to schedule in that slot but I would guess Gene will do everything possible to get a home game with a lesser opponent and save that bye week for UNI. The opening to the conference schedule is brutal.

KSBisonFan
01-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I doubt if we will hear anything until an official announcement is made (after a signed contract is in hand).

There is a website that shows all open dates so the field of potential opponents is out there.

You know what the website is?

CAS4127
01-12-2012, 03:01 PM
I like that we have a target on our back, and I would hope our players do to.

Bring on the competition!!!

HerdBot
01-12-2012, 03:01 PM
So we are already thinking ahead, it looks like. I'm curious to know when the schedule is announced or if it already has been announced, and if someone could post it on here or in a new thread, that would be cool. Given what happened 2 weeks after the we took the #1 spot, when Youngstown came into town and shocked us, I'm wondering what you all think we will do next year. Without looking at the actual schedule it'd be tough to speculate, but I think every team we face, especially from the Valley, will be gunning for us all the more. Maybe they don't need the extra motivation, I don't know, just a thought.

It's a concern but I think it's overrated. Everyone knew we were good after the 2010 playoff run and we rolled through the schedule with relative ease. I don't think a conference opponent is that much more excited about beating a #1 team vs a #5 team. The bottom line is Youngstown was a good team and we didn't play very well yet we still had a chance to win, especially if you take away DJ's fluke drop. It happens. In the playoffs we were the #1 team in our bracket and it certainly didn't hurt our play. I know it's a cliche but we need to take it one game at a time. That's what we did this year and it worked. Obviously.

bisonmike2
01-12-2012, 03:03 PM
I look forward to us finally getting the "not being able to win at UNI" monkey off our back.

tony
01-12-2012, 03:12 PM
I look forward to us finally getting the "not being able to win at UNI" monkey off our back.

Yeah, lots of monkeys have gotten taken off the program's back in the last two years:

1. 3-4 defense? /bitchslapped
2. UNI's win streak? /ended
3. MVFC? /champed
4. No home playoff games? /done and /done and /done and /done
5. When was your last championship (smirk)? /inthecasedickeyboy

Good to have some goals left to achieve - it'll be interesting to see if the team can stay motivated.

heffray
01-12-2012, 03:27 PM
I don't know if it's too early to go through and pick W's and L's (mostly Ws, of course!), but I'll start an over under on losses this year:

Any takers?

Bison03
01-12-2012, 03:32 PM
I don't know if it's too early to go through and pick W's and L's (mostly Ws, of course!), but I'll start an over under on losses this year:

Any takers?

I'll put a million dollars on that line please.....

Strommer10
01-12-2012, 03:41 PM

Any takers?
It depends on who we get for that 11th game, but I see 9-2 as being a realistic number for next year. Colorado State is that wild card, I could see us going into Ft. Collins and getting the W.

New coach in a struggling program. Sounds familiar... Oh yea I remember!
1489 1490

Strommer10
01-12-2012, 03:49 PM
Interesting note on CSU: They had attendances of 16811, 14107, 17207 in their final 3 games. These are all less than our worst attendance mark. I'm not trying to say we should go FBS, but it's interesting to see how we compare.

heffray
01-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Ok, maybe a better Over/Under for Bison Regular Season Losses:

I personally would take OVER on that. Maybe I'd push. I think our conference is really good, it'll be tough to duplicate what we did this year, especially with the big question marks on OL and WR.

THEsocalledfan
01-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah, lots of monkeys have gotten taken off the program's back in the last two years:

3. MVFC? /champed

Good to have some goals left to achieve - it'll be interesting to see if the team can stay motivated.

I love the idea of back to back MVFC and NC, although, I rather have the later if I must be forced to choose! Only then, can we claim the dynasty of the 1980's may be coming back.

CAS4127
01-12-2012, 04:54 PM
I love the idea of back to back MVFC and NC, although, I rather have the later if I must be forced to choose! Only then, can we claim the dynasty of the 1980's may be coming back.

We need to get through the MVFC and into a seeded PO position relatively healthy. I am convinced now, after following two years of FCS playoffs, that anything can happen after that. We barely squeaked into the 85 PO's and won the NC going away. The same could happen now that we have reached the point of being one of the premier FCS teams.

heffray
01-12-2012, 04:57 PM

also, you do realize you have to pick one, right, like "over" or "under." place your bet thereafter, if you wish...

stevdock
01-12-2012, 05:14 PM

3. MVFC? /champed

I'm personally not completely convinced we are ready to cross off the 3-4 defense yet, or at least against a good 3-4 defense.

CAS4127
01-12-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm personally not completely convinced we are ready to cross off the 3-4 defense yet, or at least against a good 3-4 defense.

I tend to agree with that. Plus, recall we had a "discussion" after last season about how not only the players needed to improve, but also the coaches, and it was stated that Vigen needed to educate himself more on attacking the 3-4 defense and otherwise improving his play calling. I would say the players owned up to their end of the bargain, and Vigen improved, but not as much as needed. Let's face it, we had a very bland offense that was not statistically overwhelming. Just imagine a team with an offense that matched our defense this year.

bisonsupporter
01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
I may be greedy but I want an outright conference championship. No co-champs.

TransAmBison
01-12-2012, 05:52 PM
I may be greedy but I want an outright conference championship. No co-champs.I will concede the conference co-champs if we go on to get the National Championship again. I'm understanding that way.

THEsocalledfan
01-12-2012, 06:22 PM
I will concede the conference co-champs if we go on to get the National Championship again. I'm understanding that way.

I am am even more understanding being more than willing to excuse not winning MVFC as long as we repeat as National Champs. I am pretty darn flexible.

heffray
01-12-2012, 06:59 PM
I am am even more understanding being more than willing to excuse not winning MVFC as long as we repeat as National Champs. I am pretty darn flexible.

I think we all feel the same way about this. MVFC Title < NC Title. No question there.

Who do you all think we will be battling the Conference for? I think Youngstown has a good shot to make a huge improvement over their record last year. Also, the Salukis with Bell are going to be good either way, our closest victory all season last year.

BlueBisonRock
01-12-2012, 07:28 PM
I believe the last game of our season will determine the MVFC champion.

tony
01-12-2012, 08:07 PM

Yeah, I suppose. I just think that it just happened that the better defenses NDSU faced were 3-4 defenses (so more of a quality over scheme deal) This year SHSU's defense was the best (although Southern Illinois's was tough too.)

One thing I should have put in that original list was:

6. NDSU's defense looking helpless against the spread offense? /spreadoffenselookshelplessagainstndsu

BadlandsBison
01-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Before this season I was convinced the answer to the spread was something to do with linebackers. This year NDSU showed that the line of scrimmage could control the spread.

NorthernBison
01-12-2012, 08:18 PM
College football is still officiated and set up in such a way that good solid defenses can almost always stop the offense. We have yet to become the NFL which is getting more like arena football all the time.

LSU and Alabama had defenses that shut down each other's offenses. Yet, those same offenses tended to be rather explosive against lesser defenses.

Those fans who expect our offense to light up the scoreboard every week are likely to be rather disappointed more often than they are satisfied. That's basically the way it is in college football. It's especially true in the MVFC.

heffray
01-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Any other predictions for next year? Target-on-back related, or specific match-up intrigue?

56BISON73
01-12-2012, 09:04 PM
I think we have had the target on our backs ever since we moved up because of our past history and the hype that comes with it. Every team knows the brand of football we play and they prepare for it.
They gunned for us in D2 as well. We should be used to it.

heffray
01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
I think we have had the target on our backs ever since we moved up because of our past history and the hype that comes with it. Every team knows the brand of football we play and they prepare for it.

You think that our fellow MVFCers care about our D2 success? I don't, but I guess I'm not a former player like you so I have no idea.

What do you all think about our chances to go undefeated this season?

Which match-up presents our biggest obstacle(s) to that feat?

THEsocalledfan
01-12-2012, 09:24 PM
You think that our fellow MVFCers care about our D2 success? I don't, but I guess I'm not a former player like you so I have no idea?

Heff, those are fighting words around these parts. A true Bison fan repects and honors the past as it is part of why the future will be so great. They would not have this success without the past glory and the following it built.

TransAmBison
01-12-2012, 09:27 PM
Heff, those are fighting words around these parts. A true Bison fan repects and honors the past as it is part of why the future will be so great. They would not have this success without the past glory and the following it built.I think he meant he doesn't think other members of the conference care...reread his post...

56BISON73
01-12-2012, 09:28 PM
You think that our fellow MVFCers care about our D2 success? I don't, but I guess I'm not a former player like you so I have no idea.

What do you all think about our chances to go undefeated this season?

Which match-up presents our biggest obstacle(s) to that feat?

No they dont care about our success in D2. But the hype surrounding it they do care as in" that shit dont work at this level" and we are going to show you. You can also bet those facts are brought up by the opposing teams coaches that NDSU historically has a very good program and we need to prepare for them.

Undefeated? I dont like the odds for any team to accomplish that feat.

Obstacles? Every team we play.

heffray
01-12-2012, 09:28 PM
Heff, those are fighting words around these parts. A true Bison fan repects and honors the past as it is part of why the future will be so great. They would not have this success without the past glory and the following it built.

I'm not saying I DON'T respect our past glory and tradition, I'm saying that I doubt the teams in our conference do. I am willing to admit that I could be wrong about this, too.

BlueBisonRock
01-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I'm not saying I DON'T respect our past glory and tradition, I'm saying that I doubt the teams in our conference do. I am willing to admit that I could be wrong about this, too.

They care. Otherwise they wouldn't tell us how much they don't care. Earning the National Championship after 4 years will help them care even more. Be ready for the 'arrogant fans' label.

heffray
01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
No they dont care about our success in D2. But the hype surrounding it they do care as in" that shit dont work at this level" and we are going to show you. You can also bet those facts are brought up by the opposing teams coaches that NDSU historically has a very good program and we need to prepare for them.

Undefeated? I dont like the odds for any team to accomplish that feat.

Obstacles? Every team we play.

I guess I was looking for a more specific number, or team match-up on this one. For instance, I think Youngstown is going to be very good this year, and it's hard to win at UNI any year, so those wouuld be my two key match-ups for next season.

heffray
01-12-2012, 09:33 PM
They care. Otherwise they wouldn't tell us how much they don't care. Earning the National Championship after 4 years will help them care even more. Be ready for the 'arrogant fans' label.

Agreed. They care now. Hence the "Target on our Backs" (see how i tied in to the title of the thread? hold your applause, please).

Professor Chaos
01-12-2012, 09:44 PM

You know what the website is?

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/conf-scheds-2012

Answer Guy
01-12-2012, 09:48 PM
Be ready for the 'arrogant fans' label.

Be ready? You mean it's never come up before? :confused:

KilldeerBison
01-12-2012, 09:51 PM
Agree, especially UNI, they seem to play their best game each year, when they play the Bison. Seems like this one really gets Farley's attention.

56BISON73
01-12-2012, 09:53 PM
Agree, especially UNI, they seem to play their best game each year, when they play the Bison. Seems like this one really gets Farley's attention.

That rivalry goes all the way back to D2.

X-Factor
01-12-2012, 10:56 PM
PREDICTION:

With conference title in hand, the Bison lose the season finale 14-10 with ISUr the only team to score 2 touchdowns against the Bison.

heffray
01-12-2012, 11:25 PM
PREDICTION:

With conference title in hand, the Bison lose the season finale 14-10 with ISUr the only team to score 2 touchdowns against the Bison.

Doesn't get much more specific than that.

CAS4127
01-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Be ready? You mean it's never come up before? :confused:

Would rather be considered arrogant than braindead--just sayin' of course!!

IzzyFlexion
01-13-2012, 04:23 AM
I like that we have a target on our back, and I would hope our players do to.

Bring on the competition!!!

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/162998d1263321799/tramp_stamp.jpg

perthbison
01-13-2012, 04:31 AM
Agree, especially UNI, they seem to play their best game each year, when they play the Bison. Seems like this one really gets Farley's attention.I imagine Farley is involved in some sort of Anger Management therapy since last saturday.

BadlandsBison
01-13-2012, 04:35 AM
I imagine Farley is involved in some sort of Anger Management therapy since last saturday.

He has locked himself in the punishment closet

IBleedYellow
01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Best part of football: DEFENSE.

I enjoy watching when our D gets on the field to just stuff the team. I am glad that we are far away from the NFL which is high powered offense that is "more enjoyable" to watch, according to those who field the teams.

Defense WINS Championships.

A la 2011 NDSU Bison football team.