PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior: Chad Willson

DjKyRo
01-12-2012, 03:40 AM
Where the heck do you even start with Chad? Here's a story.

Last year in the spring semester I had a class with Chad and got to know him over the course of the semester. Not terribly well, but enough to know that he was a terrific guy and really had a good head on his shoulders. I think he was the first guy to call in to the sports show and some of the input he gave us was just stupendous. Really bought in to the program and had a desire to both contribute on the field and to help other players grow. The guy was a leader the moment he set foot in Fargo and was always leading by example.

Thanks for all you've done for Bison football and NDSU, Mr. Willson!

Twentysix
01-12-2012, 04:11 AM
Thanks for picking NDSU... He did an amazing job. I can't believe the level of play we have gotten out of some of these juco guys.

HoopsBison
01-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Chad Willson was a stud starting day one. His fire, passion, and intensity is unmatched. Hes always around the ball and hardly ever misses a tackle. Hes a winner and so proud that he wore a Bison jersey.

Certainly could be considered for MVP of the team.

Thanks for your time at NDSU Chad, and best of luck with future aspirations!

870XPRS
01-12-2012, 05:36 AM
Thanks Chad...you brought a swagger. You brought an attitude that this defense can hold for years. One thing I will leave with is it......it is spelled WILLSON......

SlickVic
01-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Bad chad...ill never forgot the eye black...carried on a great tradition for ndsu linebackers Joe mays ramon humber maresh Evans and Wilson them are some dudes a lot of bcs schools would be jelous of believe me dude

Tatanka
01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Another great player on the field and a class act off the field. Thanks Chad!

TransAmBison
01-12-2012, 12:03 PM
He didn't surprise me once this year...because I expected greatness from him and he delivered every time.

roadwarrior
01-12-2012, 01:21 PM
At Kansas in 2010 I was wondering, "who is this #45 guy?"! Chad had an immediate impact on turning a dismal defense two seasons ago into a great defense.

Kermit
01-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I believe I was at Chad's first practice as a Bison. First 11-on-11 drill, the D was supposed to just play "touch" with the ball carrier. I don't remember who the ball carrier was, but Chad met him in the hole and made a huge hit. Bohl was a little upset, but everyone on the field knew who the new guy was!

perthbison
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM
Another great player who helped make our defense and Team Champions. Glad you came here Chad and I wish you more sucess in the future where ever that takes you.

KSBisonFan
01-12-2012, 02:48 PM
At Kansas in 2010 I was wondering, "who is this #45 guy?"! Chad had an immediate impact on turning a dismal defense two seasons ago into a great defense.

^^^^^This. That was a game that changed the team's mindset and gave them an attitude that has carried us to this point. Elevated this program a notch and it started with #45 and the Bison defense that night. Thanks Chad!

90BISON
01-12-2012, 02:53 PM
One of my favorite, recent history Bison players. Love his attitude and leadership! Hope the guys behind him learned well......

tony
01-12-2012, 02:53 PM
Willson was to ball carriers what great white sharks are to slow baby seals. The little baby seal would be heading to the open sea and then, all the sudden, *boom*, from out of the depths, DOOM.

tcbison
01-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Chad Willson was a tackling machine! Not only that but he is assignment sure and played with a ton of heart. Good luck Chad in the future!

roadwarrior
01-12-2012, 04:02 PM
There was an article recently about Chad. His team lost the championship game in high school and his team also lost the championship game during his JUCO years. He finally got his championship, and while watching the replay of the game it is obvious he played a big part in the win.

CAS4127
01-12-2012, 04:06 PM
He was an outstanding LB in truest sense of an LB, period!!

stevdock
01-12-2012, 04:59 PM
I thought the last two years he was the heart and soul of the defense. To play through the cast last year and play at such a high level the whole time he was here really showed what Bison football is all about. And my opinion is that his sound tackling really transferred to the rest of the team. Remember mid-season how we were concerned about the shoulder bumps, that all went away especially in the playoffs.

CAS4127
01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
I thought the last two years he was the heart and soul of the defense. To play through the cast last year and play at such a high level the whole time he was here really showed what Bison football is all about. And my opinion is that his sound tackling really transferred to the rest of the team. Remember mid-season how we were concerned about the shoulder bumps, that all went away especially in the playoffs.

Was just thinking of that on my way to work this morning-->hey, I drive 40 miles so I have a lot of thinking time on my hands.

stevdock
01-12-2012, 05:11 PM
And that was by far the most important thing that this defense did throughout the playoffs. When we got to the ball carrier he was going down.

SDbison
01-12-2012, 05:12 PM
One of my co-workers here in Sioux Falls watched the entire game with his son and enjoyed it (said the Bison played a great game). He mentioned how #45 was all over the place on defense. Also, several others from work watched some or all of the game and had good things to say. Only one of them has ties to NDSU as his daughter will be attending NDSU next year. Lots of congratulations and respect for NDSU football here. The one avid SDSU fan at work finally gave me a reluctant "congrats" late in the day yesterday.

CAS4127
01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
And that was by far the most important thing that this defense did throughout the playoffs. When we got to the ball carrier he was going down.

I agree. We used to call it "finishing".

PaBizon
01-12-2012, 06:14 PM
Chad Willson = MVP

Professor Chaos
01-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Chad personifies the leadership needed on a championship team. I believe he played the entire Southern Illinois game with a serious shoulder injury (I had heard separated shoulder but that just seems ridiculous that someone could play with that) and I don't think he missed a game the entire season with the litany of bumps and bruises he had.

As good as he was on the field his leadership will probably be the thing that will be missed the most. He's a player who is, without a doubt, most deserving of ending his career in a Bison uniform as a champion.

TransAmBison
01-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Chad personifies the leadership needed on a championship team. I believe he played the entire Southern Illinois game with a serious shoulder injury (I had heard separated shoulder but that just seems ridiculous that someone could play with that) and I don't think he missed a game the entire season with the litany of bumps and bruises he had.

As good as he was on the field his leadership will probably be the thing that will be missed the most. He's a player who is, without a doubt, most deserving of ending his career in a Bison uniform as a champion.From the info I got his shoulder was separated. Big difference between him and that pansy CAS.

Civil06
01-12-2012, 07:36 PM
I'll always remember the team walk into FC Dallas stadium. Everybody looked like stone-faced warriors on a mission to look forward, listen to their tunes, and focus - except for Chad Willson. He had a cowboy hat on, long hair flowing, and was smiling like crazy and interacting a little bit with the fans. You could tell he was soaking it all in and enjoying it. Have you ever seen a picture of him not smiling??? I haven't. But he sure went into beast mode during games. Heck of a team mate, heck of a football player. Thank, Chad, for being a Bison!

HandoEX
01-12-2012, 08:43 PM
I believe I was at Chad's first practice as a Bison. First 11-on-11 drill, the D was supposed to just play "touch" with the ball carrier. I don't remember who the ball carrier was, but Chad met him in the hole and made a huge hit. Bohl was a little upset, but everyone on the field knew who the new guy was!
I remember that too! Bohl gave him an earful but I think it became obvious...this guy has one gear: full speed!

Chad Willson is a modern day legend for the Bison defense, one of the best, if not the best players on the best defense in school history, imo.

bison93
01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Chad was the heart and soul of the defense. He will be missed.

X-Factor
01-13-2012, 12:04 AM
I echo all of the above. Great player. Glad he got another shot at a championship while he was here.

Gully
01-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Dude just made plays. Several Willson's were able to travel to see the championship game in Frisco.

TateMosersneighbor
01-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Huge addition to the team and the tradition of Bison Football. My favorite "Willson moment" was watching the video of the post game talk Bohl gave after the GSU game in the lockerroom. Chad was smiling and having fun, but still had the intensity that he showed on the field at all times. Talent was 2nd to a few, intensity and heart was 2nd to none.

He can now say he won his last game!

bisonpride4ever
01-14-2012, 04:03 AM
I'll always remember the team walk into FC Dallas stadium. Everybody looked like stone-faced warriors on a mission to look forward, listen to their tunes, and focus - except for Chad Willson. He had a cowboy hat on, long hair flowing, and was smiling like crazy and interacting a little bit with the fans. You could tell he was soaking it all in and enjoying it. Have you ever seen a picture of him not smiling??? I haven't. But he sure went into beast mode during games. Heck of a team mate, heck of a football player. Thank, Chad, for being a Bison!

You took the words right out out of my mouth. You always saw him with a smile. You could tell he was having fun playing the game. He played with such intensity and passion. Terrific football player who will be missed greatly. One of the Bison greats.

westnodak93bison
01-18-2012, 06:52 PM
A friend and I were talking about Chad last night. Damn he made play after play after play. I spoke with his dad tailgating once and he mentioned he wanted Chad to play at Utah but mom and Chad out numbered him and picked NDSU. Lucky us. Ironically NDSU finished two spots ahead of UT in the final Sagarin Ratings.

BisonCardinal
01-24-2012, 02:53 AM
Chad was a gamer. Any chance he could become a graduate assistant? Would love to see him show future players how to have fun and maintain intensity.

BadlandsBison
01-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Chad was a gamer. Any chance he could become a graduate assistant? Would love to see him show future players how to have fun and maintain intensity.

Chad played like he was 4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than he was. Easily our most consistent LB this season

DjKyRo
01-24-2012, 05:41 AM
I think there's something to be said about Chad's decision to come to NDSU; he had offers to walk on at Utah and BYU out of high school and chose to go the JUCO route. Down in Utah, those two schools are king (to the same degree as Minnesota and Wisconsin are up here, if not to a greater effect with the religious nature of that region and those schools' embrace of that). It goes to show Chad was a truly competitive guy and proved it on the field. Good for him.

Bison Dan
01-24-2012, 01:21 PM
Chad played like he was 4 inches taller and 40 pounds heavier than he was. Easily our most consistent LB this season

He played fast, never fooled and I can't remember a missed tackle. I can only hope we get another LB like him.