PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Senior: John Pike

tony
01-12-2012, 12:52 AM
Confession: When NDSU signed Pike, I was really wondering how it would turn out. He's not big and there was nothing on the web about his HS career. Not only that, he didn't look all that fast in film. A 5-10, 185lb safety in a league featuring power offenses seemed like mismatch. Well, at least I trusted the coaches enough not to post my doubts back then.

Anyway, in the title game alone he had 2 pass breakups (one in the corner of the endzone against a really tall WR) and an INT to pretty much seal the game. John has a knack for making huge, sometimes spectacular, plays and we are lucky to have him as a Bison.

A1pigskin
01-12-2012, 01:00 AM
No question Pike contributed in a big way.....

roadwarrior
01-12-2012, 01:03 AM
I agree that Pike was a huge get for the team. It was also great to meet him and his family after the game last saturday. His parents travelled way more than I did this season!

HoopsBison
01-12-2012, 01:04 AM
One of the most pleasant surprises on the team this year. When injuries occurred in the secondary, I only hoped he would be able to act as a bandage until we became healthy again. Boy was I ever wrong about this kid. Every game he played it seemed like he got his hands on a game changing play. He was spectacular against the pass and really a pretty solid tackler. One last thing I appreciated about him was being able to be a transfer and become a difference maker, and buying into what it means to put on that Bison jersey.

Thank you Mr. Pike, it was a pleasure watching you play!

Wally
01-12-2012, 01:06 AM
I agree that Pike was a huge get for the team. It was also great to meet him and his family after the game last saturday. His parents travelled way more than I did this season!

This. His family was right across from us in the tailgate lot and were very cool. Awesome signing for the program

HandoEX
01-12-2012, 01:11 AM
His grandma and her sister sat behind us and grandma would wear my hardhat whenever I wore it in. Gonna miss them! Pike was a leader and a heck of a playmaker. Still can't believe he turned out to be such an awesome player. He will be missed!!!

Twentysix
01-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Pike was great. I hope we can keep upping the ante as far as skill and athleticism go.

Thunder_Struck
01-12-2012, 01:28 AM
The strip against GSU was HUGE!

TransAmBison
01-12-2012, 01:29 AM
He had swagger...loved his attitude.

Tatanka
01-12-2012, 01:31 AM
As good as he was on the field, he was a class act off the field. Several times I got to see him interact with my kids at various events around town and he went above and beyond to make a connection with each kid he saw. A great kid...and his parents visit to our tailgate each week is something I always looked forward to. Thanks jp!

kab1one
01-12-2012, 01:39 AM
His family was from the area. Uncle works here in town, I believe the mom is originally from Bismarck, thus the connection to Fargo from Arizona.

Notorious
01-12-2012, 01:49 AM
Some guys just know how the play the game...

bri-dog
01-12-2012, 01:59 AM
He stopped by our tailgate after the game & took a pic with my daughter. Great guy!! Whoever took the pic must have been a little shaky with the iPhone.:biggrin:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/bflaagan/photo-2.jpg

BlueBisonRock
01-12-2012, 02:06 AM
He was noted as a ball hawk when the Bison recruited him and he delivered. He also showed the ability to make tough tackles. I will remember him as a player who did get the picks and make key hits. I will never forget his pick at the three earlier this season when he played superman, went verticle and I swear was in the air a good 5 yards. He ended up with the ball and ended a drive. Just as key was his stripping the Southern TE causing a fumble when 7 were just about on the board. There was some real strength in that move. He did play the game well!

Thank you John. And the best to you in your future!

westnodak93bison
01-12-2012, 03:03 AM
I loved Bohl's quote after the GSU game. Said something like he is only 175lbs, runs a 4.9 forty but he MAKES PLAYS.
imho, that is where many coaches go wrong in recruiting. They look too much at the measureables and over look solid football players.
Met his dad at the EWU playoff game last year. Very personable guy.

DjKyRo
01-12-2012, 03:38 AM
Always enjoyed seeing John on the field because he was so animated. Every time he came away with the ball, he'd do the characteristic "turnover" sign with his other hand. When the game against GSU was basically in hand and the kickoff team came out, he made a show of blowing a kiss to the student section. That swagger was something to watch.

Thanks for everything John. Wish we had you for another year.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, John got engaged sometime around the YSU game. Congrats on that.

17>1
01-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Filled in as a tremendous FREE SAFETY the few occasions Eaves got dinged up the last couple of years. I was skeptical at first about his ability and how he'd do when called upon, and he exceeded my expectations.

roadwarrior
01-12-2012, 01:19 PM
John also got air time last year when he sent an email to Scott Van Pelt on ESPN.

phxbison
01-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Absolutley loved watching John play the game. Talk about having a nose for the ball. Both he and Willson were unbelievable Juco recruits. I'll miss watching both of them.

Kermit
01-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Filled in as a tremendous FREE SAFETY the few occasions Eaves got dinged up the last couple of years. I was skeptical at first about his ability and how he'd do when called upon, and he exceeded my expectations.

Pretty sure I saw JP line up at strong safety on occasion. Haha! Thanks, JP! You are a playmaker and a champion!

BISONBRI53
01-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Met him after the game Sat. Class act guy. Thanked us for coming down and cheering on the Bison.

SDbison
01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
Absolutley loved watching John play the game. Talk about having a nose for the ball. Both he and Willson were unbelievable Juco recruits. I'll miss watching both of them. Pike really contributed to this team. Thanks and good luck to you. What are the chances Bohl can find another set of bookend recruits like Pike and Willson to complete another championship caliber team?

Gully
01-13-2012, 05:06 PM
Talk about getting the most out of what god gives you. Good career and a great last game, he made several big plays. Ran into him after the game in a bar....he's not very big, it's amazing he could hold up.

Creepy mustache though!

TateMosersneighbor
01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
Talk about getting the most out of what god gives you. Good career and a great last game, he made several big plays. Ran into him after the game in a bar....he's not very big, it's amazing he could hold up.

Creepy mustache though!

Did you apologize for running into him?

Pike was great, his interception during the regular season against I can't remember was one of the better plays of the year.

Bison81
01-13-2012, 06:02 PM
almost unbelievable how John would show up at some point and make a critical play -like the NC game -just amazing....

BlueBisonRock
01-13-2012, 06:07 PM

Creepy mustache though!

I thought about posting your photo next to his for a BV comparison. I decided against it as this would discourage the new female posters that are new to Bisonville.

:biggrin:

:hide:

Gully
01-13-2012, 06:30 PM
I thought about posting your photo next to his for a BV comparison. I decided against it as this would discourage the new female posters that are new to Bisonville.

:biggrin:

:hide:

doh!!!!!!!!!!!!

heffray
01-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Sat right behind his parents and brother at the 'ship. Pretty sure his mom and dad were in tears right after he got the pick. Pretty cool to see that.

bisontown
01-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Like people have said, his measurables are very average, but what a playmaker!!! He one of the biggest plays of the year with his strip against GSU, who knows the direction that game takes if they score a TD on that drive. And he made probalby the most outstanding play of the year with that pick against St. Franicis. I still don't know how on Earth he caught that ball. At the time I was thankful there was no replay, as I was sure he didn't catch it. I couldn't wait to get home and watch it on my DVR and low and behold it was a catch. Couldn't believe it!

Gully
01-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Like people have said, his measurables are very average, but what a playmaker!!! He one of the biggest plays of the year with his strip against GSU, who knows the direction that game takes if they score a TD on that drive. And he made probalby the most outstanding play of the year with that pick against St. Franicis. I still don't know how on Earth he caught that ball. At the time I was thankful there was no replay, as I was sure he didn't catch it. I couldn't wait to get home and watch it on my DVR and low and behold it was a catch. Couldn't believe it!

Totally forgot about that play....it should be on the season highlight film.

344Johnson
01-13-2012, 10:29 PM
John also got air time last year when he sent an email to Scott Van Pelt on ESPN.

He stole some of my thunder when my email got read...they just HAD to bring up John Pike. Thats ok, dude was a total baller and gives hope to undersized people everywhere. Cannot believe that seriously anytime something big happened, he was in the thick of it making a play. He took advantage of every opportunity given to him to make plays.

He stopped by our tailgate after the game & took a pic with my daughter. Great guy!! Whoever took the pic must have been a little shaky with the iPhone.:biggrin:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n305/bflaagan/photo-2.jpg

Is it an NCAA Violation for him to allow people to pay him for mustache rides?

Answer Guy
01-14-2012, 01:48 AM
Is it an NCAA Violation for him to allow people to pay him for mustache rides?

Something you'd be interested in? :confused:

North Side
01-14-2012, 02:48 AM
JUCO Transfers > FBS Transfers... Willson, Pike, and Gatlin

BisonCardinal
01-14-2012, 02:48 AM
I thought he should have gotten Player of the Game against UNI -two picks, critical pass breakups/tackles. What a contributor!!!

herdmember
01-14-2012, 02:57 AM
Absolute baller and nose for the ball guy. His big picks in the most important games and the big strip were fantastic. The two things that I will really always remember were:

1) The huge fumble recovery on Eaves decleater in the Kansas game. In hind site, not surprising he'd burst on the scene that way.
2) How he'd continually throw his body in front of people in the Minnesota game. He's get bowled over, but he'd make every tackle. That takes..umm..guts. He had them.

What a terrific find by the coaching staff. Gotta love a staff that recruits intangibles.

You will be missed John Pike.

bisonpride4ever
01-14-2012, 04:10 AM
What a stud. He played with such confidence. Even though he was a backup, he basically told the team and the fans "don't worry guys, we won't miss a beat with me in." Made use plays. He reminds me of the super sub in basketball that comes in and makes a couple threes and get the crowd and the team amped up. Super player who wasn't afraid to play his game and make the big play.