PDA

View Full Version : Our #1 recruiting tool is...

HerdBot
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Another trip to the NCAA basketball tournament!

Think back to 3 years ago. Every kid and parent in the country is filling out their bracket and had to choose between Kansas and North Dakota State . When we won the Summit tournament and beat Oakland, it was a lead story on sports center . We had a story on NDSU by Bran Gumbel . Is it a coincidence that the next 2 recruiting classes kicked ass? Its been a few years now so people tend to forget.

Get behind our basketball team. Get your tickets now to the Summit League tournament and lets bring the same energy to Sioux Falls!!

CaBisonFan
01-11-2012, 08:36 PM

Think back to 3 years ago. Every kid and parent in the country is filling out their bracket and had to choose between Kansas and North Dakota State . When we won the Summit tournament and beat Oakland, it was a lead story on sports center . We had a story on NDSU by Bran Gumbel . Is it a coincidence that the next 2 recruiting classes kicked ass? Its been a few years now so people tend to forget.

Get behind our basketball team. Get your tickets now to the Summit League tournament and lets bring the same energy to Sioux Falls!!

The sky is the limit for the men's basketball team. I can't believe how much talent & depth they have. A trip or two to the Big Dance...and even a run in the tourney...is possible for this group.

There's legitimate DI talent throughout the lineup...and with depth. Braun is an amazing basketball player.

344Johnson
01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Our best recruiting tool is that we play in a rocking atmosphere, we play great defense(great for recruiting that side of the ball), play mean offense(everyone likes to think they are mean), and have some of the best support and facilities in the FCS. We also can play the Notre Dame card and say we have great tradition up on the Plains. We play against FBS teams annually, sometimes against schools (im looking at you Minnesota) who aren't going to even give you a look. Oh, and recent history indicates we generally kinda kick ass in the playoffs.

IndyBison
01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
As great as this weekend was, the NCAA basketball tournament probably gave us a lot more visibility overall. It definitely put the school name out there more to the general population and I'm sure it had some impact when football players got letters or phone calls about that time. Winning the championship only enhances that.

Do you think you would have heard much about schools like Gonzaga, Temple, George Mason, Drexel, UAB, Bellmont, etc. if not for the basketball tournament? We benefit from being a university with our state name so there is instant recognition there and they know where it is.

bisonmike2
01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
#1 Bison tool? Lakesbison. :)

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
As great as this weekend was, the NCAA basketball tournament probably gave us a lot more visibility overall. It definitely put the school name out there more to the general population and I'm sure it had some impact when football players got letters or phone calls about that time. Winning the championship only enhances that.

Do you think you would have heard much about schools like Gonzaga, Temple, George Mason, Drexel, UAB, Bellmont, etc. if not for the basketball tournament? We benefit from being a university with our state name so there is instant recognition there and they know where it is.

I agree with the "overall visibility", Brian, but for recruiting HS football players, winning, facilities, coaching and the potential for NFL exposure, combined, are more important than the BB team making the NCAA tourney. Name recognition does in fact help though, and perhaps that is what you meant.

Thunder_Struck
01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
#1 recruiting tool is TRADITION!!!!

ILIKETODRUNK
01-11-2012, 08:58 PM
That dude likes to party, is that so wrong bisonmike? or do you mean he is ndsu's #1 recruiting tool? so confused her, i need to tap again
#1 Bison tool? Lakesbison. :)

bisonmike2
01-11-2012, 08:59 PM
That dude likes to party, is that so wrong bisonmike? or do you mean he is ndsu's #1 recruiting tool? so confused her, i need to tap again

I found Lakes' new alt! Welcome back Lakes!

IndyBison
01-11-2012, 09:00 PM
I agree with the "overall visibility", Brian, but for recruiting HS football players, winning, facilities, coaching and the potential for NFL exposure, combined, are more important than the BB team making the NCAA tourney. Name recognition does in fact help though, and perhaps that is what you meant.
Yes that is what I meant. Because of the visibility of the basketball team I'm sure there are some players that were more willing to visit the school to learn more about the winning, facilities, coaching, etc. For example, if a kid in North Dakota or Minnesota got a football letter from Butler right now, he might be more interested in opening it to learn about the program because he's aware of their success in basketball. A couple years ago he would have probably thrown it in the pile with all the other schools he had never heard of. He'd soon realize Butler's football program isn't very good but he gave it a little better look. I knew a kid who was recruited late in his senior year and he really wanted to go to Butler because of the excitement around their basketball program. He ended up at a D2 school so he had the talent but he would have excelled at Butler.

It's kind of like "Who you know/What you know". Who you know helps you get the job. What you know helps you keep it.

ILIKETODRUNK
01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
bisonmike you couldnt find a tool in your own pants

tony
01-11-2012, 09:03 PM
bisonmike you couldnt find a tool in your own pants

Two strikes left.

tcbison
01-11-2012, 09:04 PM

Go football, play college!

SafeTeeJ
01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
we recruit from a base area where kids are smart and raised with great work effort. the business world loves hiring folks from the upper midwest.

BisManBison
01-11-2012, 09:09 PM
NDSU...the Institution...which encompasses everything that has been listed in this thread so far including the football program and its tradition, recent success and potential of the basketball team, the facilities of the university, both educational and sporting, the education pedigree, the student body and all they bring...it goes on and on....all of it is one well oiled and operating machine right now....

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 09:14 PM

Montana goes to the dance on a regular basis and what has it done for them? People already know where Montana and North Dakota are. I don't remember Drexel or Belmont doing anything of note and I couldn't tell you where they are, their mascot or their conference. An elite 8 run or better like Butler or Gonzaga is a different story.

SafeTeeJ
01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Make sure our top recruits visit the school during the national championship banquet weekend.

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Make sure our top recruits visit the school during the national championship banquet weekend.

That can have a huge impact come commitment/signing day--at least it did for me. I wonder if timing and logistics will allow for that given the date of the NC game.

SafeTeeJ
01-11-2012, 09:29 PM
That can have a huge impact come commitment/signing day--at least it did for me. I wonder if timing and logistics will allow for that given the date of the NC game.

Kept me away from UND and "Cloud town" as chicken head would say.

HerdBot
01-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Yes that is what I meant. Because of the visibility of the basketball team I'm sure there are some players that were more willing to visit the school to learn more about the winning, facilities, coaching, etc. For example, if a kid in North Dakota or Minnesota got a football letter from Butler right now, he might be more interested in opening it to learn about the program because he's aware of their success in basketball. A couple years ago he would have probably thrown it in the pile with all the other schooIls he had never heard of. He'd soon realize Butler's football program isn't very good but he gave it a little better look. I knew a kid who was recruited late in his senior year and he really wanted to go to Butler because of the excitement around their basketball program. He ended up at a D2 school so he had the talent but he would have excelled at Butler.

It's kind of like "Who you know/What you know". Who you know helps you get the job. What you know helps you keep it.

+++ couldn't have said it better myself . The big difference is Butler blows at football and we have a phenomenal tradition.

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 09:52 PM
+++ couldn't have said it better myself . The big difference is Butler blows at football and we have a phenomenal tradition.

You can't compare multiple Final Fours with a first round appearance. Northern Colorado made an appearance last year but I had no idea until I looked. That UNC football letter must mean more now right? :facepalm:

Bison03
01-11-2012, 09:53 PM
This in our trophy case:

:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod: :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod: :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

MNLonghorn10
01-11-2012, 09:54 PM

wtf are you even talking about?

how well ndsu fares in basketball will have little effect on what kind of talent bohl can get here. ndsu is a football school, with a great coach, fanbase, facility. much like the university of texas(the way the media and fanbase focus on football much more than other sports). while texas bball does ok in tournaments and nets a nationally top ranked recruits, doesnt mean the football team will transition well..which it hasnt the last couple years.

i know the names are completely out of this universe when you compare the 2, but ndsu will continue to do fine and get the top players that the bigger colleges dont get, or maybe even start getting major college transfers.

ndsu's a football school. me buying a ticket for the summit for a team i dont pay attention to isn't goin to change anything on the field

Bison03
01-11-2012, 09:59 PM

how well ndsu fares in basketball will have little effect on what kind of talent bohl can get here. ndsu is a football school, with a great coach, fanbase, facility. much like the university of texas(the way the media and fanbase focus on football much more than other sports). while texas bball does ok in tournaments and nets a nationally top ranked recruits, doesnt mean the football team will transition well..which it hasnt the last couple years.

i know the names are completely out of this universe when you compare the 2, but ndsu will continue to do fine and get the top players that the bigger colleges dont get, or maybe even start getting major college transfers.

ndsu's a football school. me buying a ticket for the summit for a team i dont pay attention to isn't goin to change anything on the field

Agreed. If this were the case in college sports, you would think that Duke football would be a powerhouse.

unbison
01-11-2012, 10:01 PM

I dont think that the 09 basketball team was a closer for football recruits...........i do however feel the publicity may have opened a few doors

MNLonghorn10
01-11-2012, 10:08 PM
I dont think that the 09 basketball team was a closer for football recruits...........i do however feel the publicity may have opened a few doors
i dont. obviously people watching tournament(most of america) know about how ndsu played kansas at that time. since its a local product, most of us remember that nelson is a few in and out jumpshots away from taking the lead in the 2nd half...

the people who this is opening doors for likely doesnt remember that, or the game right now. maybe they remember a story about the redshirts of woodside and them...but i doubt that since they saw ndsu's bball team on cbs this year, and hear that the football team just won the fcs championship, theyll show some interest. ndsu is the school that probably has to have a target on their star recruits early in their high school days to have a shot before a bigger school swoops in and takes them.

IndyBison
01-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Agreed. If this were the case in college sports, you would think that Duke football would be a powerhouse.
You still need a good football program for it to be a benefit. For us the basketball exposure would create more buzz to get their attention. The football success, facilities, etc. makes the sale easy at that point.

IndyBison
01-11-2012, 10:17 PM
I agree. We are probably far enough from that game that it probably has no impact on today's recruits. Making it this year would help open those doors for 2013 graduates. Making a run or repeated trips will continue to help.

I agree stating it's our #1 recruiting tool is a stretch.

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 10:42 PM
i dont. obviously people watching tournament(most of america) know about how ndsu played kansas at that time. since its a local product, most of us remember that nelson is a few in and out jumpshots away from taking the lead in the 2nd half...

the people who this is opening doors for likely doesnt remember that, or the game right now. maybe they remember a story about the redshirts of woodside and them...but i doubt that since they saw ndsu's bball team on cbs this year, and hear that the football team just won the fcs championship, theyll show some interest. ndsu is the school that probably has to have a target on their star recruits early in their high school days to have a shot before a bigger school swoops in and takes them.

+++ Imagine what UNI's Sweet 16 last year must be doing! Watch out!

HandoEX
01-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Winning in mbb has little effect on football recruiting,imo. Besides, there won't be nearly the same press if the Bison make the dance this year because out isn't the all-in, first year of eligibility like last time.

unbison
01-11-2012, 11:18 PM
hey longhorn..........i was not speaking in present tense............was saying when it happened it got the name out there is all

Hammerhead
01-12-2012, 02:22 AM
1a. Winning! duh (as Charlie Sheen says)
1b. Awesome fans and gameday atmosphere
1c. Top-notch facility and new turf
1d. Great school
1e. Awesome yellow jerseys. I was watching youtube videos of NDSU highlights and the green ones look funny already. :)

HerdBot
01-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Montana goes to the dance on a regular basis and what has it done for them? People already know where Montana and North Dakota are. I don't remember Drexel or Belmont doing anything of note and I couldn't tell you where they are, their mascot or their conference. An elite 8 run or better like Butler or Gonzaga is a different story.

After 18 years Montana made the basketball tournament in 1991-1992-1997- 2002-2005-2006-2010
Montana started having D1 Football success starting in the early 90s and they have made it to the championship I think 7 times. they sucked for 10 years before that )

I think both work together . Montana is a football school first just like us but the press of the big dance helps with name recognition

unrelated but when you think villanova what comes to mind? and state your age if you didn't say basket ball

HerdBot
01-12-2012, 02:34 AM
1d. Great school
1e. Awesome yellow jerseys. I was watching youtube videos of NDSU highlights and the green ones look funny already. :)

I never thought I would say it but I actually like the gold better than green. I think the green should be the alternate now.

squarepeg
01-12-2012, 03:06 AM
After 18 years Montana made the basketball tournament in 1991-1992-1997- 2002-2005-2006-2010
Montana started having D1 Football success starting in the early 90s and they have made it to the championship I think 7 times. they sucked for 10 years before that )

I think both work together . Montana is a football school first just like us but the press of the big dance helps with name recognition

unrelated but when you think villanova what comes to mind? and state your age if you didn't say basket ball

Your theory is destroyed by the fact that Montana made the Sweet 16 in 1975 and their football team did not improve. They began having football success about 1987 after hiring a new coach. A single Sweet 16 is worth more than 20 first round exits in name recognition.

Kermit
01-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Your theory is destroyed by the fact that Montana made the Sweet 16 in 1975 and their football team did not improve. They began having football success about 1987 after hiring a new coach. A single Sweet 16 is worth more than 20 first round exits in name recognition.

Today, yes. In 1975, not so much. March Madness did not exist in 1975.

squarepeg
01-12-2012, 03:36 AM
Today, yes. In 1975, not so much. March Madness did not exist in 1975.

That's a good point although 1975 was the first year of an expanded 32 team bracket. Montana came very close to knocking off eventual champion UCLA which was a big deal back then.

You could say with today's bracket a first round exit means even less with all the new names every year. Montana hasn't won a game since 1975 and I doubt the average viewer remembers them at all. It takes a major run to have any real impact in people's memories.

jimmyptubas
01-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Our number one recruiting tool is.....we are not UND!

semobison
01-12-2012, 01:02 PM
1d. Great school

This^^^...except I still like the green jerseys! Facility, resourses and tradition!

westriver bison
01-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Our number one recruiting tool is.....we are not UND!

Why is that in purple?

HerdBot
01-12-2012, 01:55 PM

Montana was involved in a federal fraud case and was paying athletes to work jobs that didn't exist and they cut funding . that's why they sucked .

wikipedia...

Continued success was expected, but a disappointing season in 1971 was followed by a work-study scandal that eventually led to Swarthout's resignation. In 1972, a federal grand jury returned a 32-count indictment charging five university officials and coaches (including Swarthout) with conspiring to illegally use federal-aid money by using some of the funds to pay for fictitious jobs for athletes.[6]
*Though Swarthout was found innocent, the charges hurt recruiting and the student-body government decided to withdraw financial support for athletic programs.[7]
[8]
*Despite the controversy and resultant performance decline, Swarthout is credited as being the coach that turned Montana into a winning football program.[9]

also basketball wasn't even close to what it I today . Less teams and no TV contracts with less exposure.

UTH
01-12-2012, 03:59 PM

Are you sure all that yellow won't be too intimidating?:confused: