PDA

View Full Version : Bohl's Son

KTF
01-10-2012, 08:21 PM
So per the forum, Bohl's son has verballed to MSUM. Interesting...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/346699/group/homepage/

Tatanka
01-10-2012, 08:23 PM
So per the forum, Bohl's son has verballed to MSUM. Interesting...

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/346699/group/homepage/

Bodes well for CB staying in town for a while methinks.

Twentysix
01-10-2012, 08:24 PM

I would think being fired from nebraska plus all the other reasons would be reason enough to stay at the FCS level for a long time..

Its not like bohl is making 35 grand a year.

bisonmike2
01-10-2012, 08:24 PM
I heard an interview somewhere that Bohl said his son was thinking about MSUM. I thought I heard him say that his son just wasn't fast enough for FCS.

Bison"FANatic"
01-10-2012, 08:25 PM

This^^^^^^^^

MNLonghorn10
01-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Yea...pretty sure craig has it pretty well here..hope he stays for a long time...or we could use him at texas here soo.

bisonmike2
01-10-2012, 08:28 PM
What if he's leaving NDSU for MSUM?????

tjbison
01-10-2012, 08:29 PM
Yea...pretty sure craig has it pretty well here..hope he stays for a long time...or we could use him at texas here soo.

We already did use him in Texas!!

:biggrin:

THEsocalledfan
01-10-2012, 08:49 PM
Am I the only one who has noticed Bohl is getting in striking distance of Rocky's win total? While I really think he is in it to win championships, not personal stuff like this, I wonder if he would like to take down that record and rise to the top of Bison coaching lore? (Probably would need one more national title too....)

Also, he has said over and over about how thankful he is to Gene Taylor for taking a chance on him. Like others have pointed out, he had just lost his job and was probably not sleeping well at night. When someone in that situation gets a lifeline and is supported by his new employer, it makes it pretty darn hard to leave as I bet it generated some strong loyalty to NDSU. Like I have said, I doubt he leave for anything other than a BCS conference job and only if the situation is right.

TransAmBison
01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
I've been watching this for a while...I think Bohl will pass Rocky for wins.

Bison03
01-10-2012, 10:37 PM
How many wins does rocky have vs Bohl?

Bison 4 Life
01-10-2012, 10:44 PM

I think Rocky has 91 wins and Bohl has 75 so I think it will not be that hard in the next couple years.

Twentysix
01-10-2012, 10:45 PM
16 wins? I hope we have that by 2013-14..

oldmantutters
01-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Could get awfully close next year if everything went well.

td577
01-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I heard an interview somewhere that Bohl said his son was thinking about MSUM. I thought I heard him say that his son just wasn't fast enough for FCS.

About Aaron by Craig Bohl: “He doesn’t quite have the quickness for the Missouri Valley,” Bohl said. “It just shows there is a level for everybody.” http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/346394/publisher_ID/1/

Answer Guy
01-11-2012, 01:23 AM

I don't think their teams ever met.

Kermit
01-11-2012, 01:40 AM
I don't think their teams ever met.

Wrong answer!
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=537570

WYOBISONMAN
01-11-2012, 03:11 AM
Best of luck at Moorhead!! I hope he does well!

ndsubison1
01-11-2012, 08:57 AM
16 wins? I hope we have that by 2013-14..

2014? he could get it within the first few games of 2013

devin45k
01-11-2012, 09:09 AM
Wrong answer!
http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=537570

I remember that game....Didn't Rocky get booed

Bison 4 Life
01-11-2012, 11:47 AM
2014? he could get it within the first few games of 2013

I think the reference was to the season of 2013-2014.

runtheoption
01-11-2012, 01:56 PM

I remember the exact opposite. I am pretty sure he received a warm reception from our crowd.

roadwarrior
01-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I remember the exact opposite. I am pretty sure he received a warm reception from our crowd.

Yes, this was the case.

TransAmBison
01-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Standing ovation...was quite moving.

bisonfan11
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
I think I heard about this shortly after the NC. Every time I hear Coach Bohl speak about NDSU, it seems he is quite content staying here as long as Gene Taylor wants him. It sounds like Bohl is quite confortable in Fargo and is not looking at leaving. Doesn't Bohl get a yearly salary of around $400,000? I mean that is A LOT of money even most of the mid-level to low level BCS teams don't pay that much for a head coach. I mean does anyone actually think that Bohl will leave NDSU to coach a AABCS bottom dweller like New Mexico St. even when no matter how good the team could be there is no chance for a NC for NMSU? I hope that Coach Bohl's son does well at Minn. St.-Moorhead.

Twentysix
01-11-2012, 03:50 PM

That is correct.

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Apparently you don't remember it very well then. Like Tranny, Road and "passtheball" stated, he was cheered loudly, both before and after the game, with a standing o either before or afte-->I don't recall which it was. Ya, I am a little biased toward Rocky, he is my friend afterall!!

That said, I am pleased to see the Coach Bohl has more sense, and apparently more ability to understand FB talent, than his predecessor, Bobby B.!! Ya, I am a little biased against Bobby B.!!!

DjKyRo
01-11-2012, 04:25 PM
I think I heard about this shortly after the NC. Every time I hear Coach Bohl speak about NDSU, it seems he is quite content staying here as long as Gene Taylor wants him. It sounds like Bohl is quite confortable in Fargo and is not looking at leaving. Doesn't Bohl get a yearly salary of around $400,000? I mean that is A LOT of money even most of the mid-level to low level BCS teams don't pay that much for a head coach.

Bohl has a base salary of around $200,000-$250,000 that maxes out at just over $300,000 if he achieves all the possible bonuses - those being conference championships, home playoff W's, and national championships. I believe he gets 6% of every home gate or thereabouts which works out to five figures, so figure a max of less than $350,000, plus whatever other incentives he gets for doing gigs like the Craig Bohl Football Show and what such. That said, he could pretty easily double that at most places that are FBS and triple it if a BCS school (like Minnesota or Kansas, obviously the Ohio States and Alabamas aren't coming calling for Bohl any time soon) takes interest and wants to chance on a successful guy in the FCS.

If a school like Minnesota wants Bohl, they have the resources to get him, make no mistake. Does a Bowling Green or a Western Michigan have those same resources? Hopefully not, Bohl can do the Coach for Life route as far as I'm concerned.

IndyBison
01-11-2012, 04:33 PM
Bohl has a base salary of around $200,000-$250,000 that maxes out at just over $300,000 if he achieves all the possible bonuses - those being conference championships, home playoff W's, and national championships. I believe he gets 6% of every home gate or thereabouts which works out to five figures, so figure a max of less than $350,000, plus whatever other incentives he gets for doing gigs like the Craig Bohl Football Show and what such. That said, he could pretty easily double that at most places that are FBS and triple it if a BCS school (like Minnesota or Kansas, obviously the Ohio States and Alabamas aren't coming calling for Bohl any time soon) takes interest and wants to chance on a successful guy in the FCS.

If a school like Minnesota wants Bohl, they have the resources to get him, make no mistake. Does a Bowling Green or a Western Michigan have those same resources? Hopefully not, Bohl can do the Coach for Life route as far as I'm concerned.
Great post. I had a conversation once with a coach in a fairly similar situation (making good money, great situation, nice community) and he definitely preferred to stay where he was. But he used the term "life-changing money". In Bohl's case if someone offered him $1m/year it would be very hard to turn down unless he didn't want the annoyances of the higher levels. Like Bohl this coach had already experienced those levels and he was in no hurry to go back.

NDSU could continue to be a stepping stone to higher levels but I also believe it could be a destination place for many coaches. It's a pretty sweet gig.

BadlandsBison
01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
Good luck to coach Bohl's son!

THEsocalledfan
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Great post. I had a conversation once with a coach in a fairly similar situation (making good money, great situation, nice community) and he definitely preferred to stay where he was. But he used the term "life-changing money". In Bohl's case if someone offered him $1m/year it would be very hard to turn down unless he didn't want the annoyances of the higher levels. Like Bohl this coach had already experienced those levels and he was in no hurry to go back.

NDSU could continue to be a stepping stone to higher levels but I also believe it could be a destination place for many coaches. It's a pretty sweet gig.

This bring up another solid point; should Bohl get another raise even though he just signed a contract extension? I suspect NDSU football will quite profitable next year as they may finally sell out every game, not to mention other possible revenue. Can NDSU sweaten the pot a little more? Make it that much harder to leave?

KTF
01-11-2012, 08:50 PM
This bring up another solid point; should Bohl get another raise even though he just signed a contract extension? I suspect NDSU football will quite profitable next year as they may finally sell out every game, not to mention other possible revenue. Can NDSU sweaten the pot a little more? Make it that much harder to leave?

Bohl just signed a contract for like 5 or 7 years didn't he? I think there was a penalty for going to other FCS schools but I am not certain...

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 08:52 PM
He has a built-in pay raise based on the number of butts he puts in the Fargodome seats.

Bisonguy
01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
He has a built-in pay raise based on the number of butts he puts in the Fargodome seats.

And bonuses for playoff games.

Beer
01-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Bohl is already compensated at about the top of the FCS pay scale. Even another $100,000 a year doesn't make that competitive with serious BCS money. Still, NDSU offers Bohl just about every other reason to stay. He may leave, but it certainly won't be for SIU ;).

Bison"FANatic"
01-11-2012, 09:41 PM

Good question but I think he has a very good contract that rewards him well with insentives. If contracts are to be sweetened I believe the assistant contracts are the place to look. Do what we can to keep our DC.

maybe take some money from the OC salary to keep the DC

ndsubison1
01-11-2012, 10:48 PM

ok. just seemed weird since nobody refers to football seasons that way

td577
01-11-2012, 10:56 PM

He just signed this deal knowing he had a very competitive team. If it was about more money at NDSU, he would have waited to see how this year turned out. At worst, he would have coached a very competitive team and signed the same deal. At best, he would have signed a very similar deal.

As far as the "life changing money" mention in this thread, I agree that will have to be a road crossed when he gets there. I do think there are a couple of jobs Bohl would jump at the chance, but he really has it going good here. There are also some other issues that make it tough for him to leave, but those are his alone to work out.

Lastly, I have no problem if Bohl leaves this school as I have said many times, NDSU is becoming the premier stepping stone for up and coming coaches. This means the program is bigger than any one person and is incredibly attractive to anyone looking at proving his BCS or NFL worth by begging for this opportunity.

Twentysix
01-12-2012, 12:27 AM

Is 700,000 dollars for 3 years then being fired and pushed out of the coaching game for good worth going to a minnesota? I would say no... being that bohls last experience at the BCS level was being fired, nobody likes being fired/laid off.. that has to help us retain him.

If a more successful school than minnesota comes along, or if minnesota offers him 1.5mil+ per year, I would understand.

X-Factor
01-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Bohl just signed a contract for like 5 or 7 years didn't he? I think there was a penalty for going to other FCS schools but I am not certain...

haha, the last thing we need to think about is Bohl going to an FCS school. Besides the fact that nobody could afford him, he is already at the top of the heap in terms of FCS programs.

A1pigskin
01-12-2012, 12:33 AM
If Bohl's recruiting stays top notch, he will pass Rocky. Since his son is going to MSUM, it's more reason to stay at NDSU.

Twentysix
01-12-2012, 01:16 AM
haha, the last thing we need to think about is Bohl going to an FCS school. Besides the fact that nobody could afford him, he is already at the top of the heap in terms of FCS programs.

Lol right, we make other teams coordinators our position coaches...

ISXBISON
01-12-2012, 01:23 AM

He cannot leave for another FCS school. FBS only.