PDA

View Full Version : Would the Bison have scored on Alabama tonight, if so how many points???

mdk23
01-10-2012, 08:12 AM
I am in a debate with my brother. He says NDSU would not have scored on Alabama or got the ball across midfield either. I on the other hand think the game would have been closer if LSU had stayed home and given their game passes to NDSU. Thoughts?

NDSUBowler
01-10-2012, 08:35 AM
Vs an Alabama team with 44 days to prepare for NDSU, we would have gotten destroyed.

WYOBISONMAN
01-10-2012, 10:53 AM
NDSU would have been slaughtered out there. Good grief......

runtheoption
01-10-2012, 01:10 PM
I am in a debate with my brother. He says NDSU would not have scored on Alabama or got the ball across midfield either. I on the other hand think the game would have been closer if LSU had stayed home and given their game passes to NDSU. Thoughts?

You serious Clark?

344Johnson
01-10-2012, 01:24 PM
I think a 40-50 point beatdown would be the Soup of the Day

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 01:30 PM
We would have done better than LSU did...not saying we would have won. LSU sucked royally. Jefferson was completely out of his league and had no answers. Their OC made no meaningful adjustments. It was a sick joke for LSU fans...a waste of their time & money. I would have pulled Jefferson by mid-3rd quarter. Lee would have been on the field with some serious time left on the clock. Ridiculous I say. Brock Jensen would have had a better presence (and arm) on the field. Esley...same. I've never seen a worse option game than LSU tried to run. The execution was unbelievably bad. Talk about telegraphing the pitch...whoa.

We would not have been destroyed any worse than LSU was. Alabama's offense was average. Both teams' offenses sucked. The defenses were great...but the horrible offenses made them look better than they were. Saban did the right thing to win the game. He opened up the play book in the middle of the field, and closed it down as they got into field goal range. 'Bama played for field goals. It was the way for them to keep the ball, protect it, and to get their kicker on the field.

No team in the country would have destroyed NDSU's defense...sorry...that's just the way it is. 'Bama won with a great defense...but I can also see why GS was able to move the ball on them. More preparation time? Could be...but both teams get the same amount of time...I think.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 01:34 PM

You are right...and your brother still suffers from the delusion that FBS teams are far superior to the top FCS teams.

Do you remember 2006 when a lot of us hoped that we could at least play 'with' MN and keep it within a couple of touchdowns? Same delusion. Now we know.

We would have scored maybe 10 or 14. 'Bama would have had something like 24. Richardson would have found his way to the end zone once or twice.

'Bama would not have had the ball as long as they did last night.

unbison
01-10-2012, 01:35 PM
CA your delusional if you believe that the bison are better then lsu

mebisonII
01-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Seriously?

NDSU might have scored with Alabama put their band in.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 01:39 PM

So you're saying that the Bison really suck...ok. LSU royally sucked. Their offensive game plan was an embarrassment to the NT game.

semobison
01-10-2012, 01:40 PM

Agreed! Reality check...anyone...

gizmo
01-10-2012, 01:44 PM
We would have done better than LSU did...not saying we would have won. LSU sucked royally. Jefferson was completely out of his league and had no answers. Their OC made no meaningful adjustments. It was a sick joke for LSU fans...a waste of their time & money. I would have pulled Jefferson by mid-3rd quarter. Lee would have been on the field with some serious time left on the clock. Ridiculous I say. Brock Jensen would have had a better presence (and arm) on the field. Esley...same. I've never seen a worse option game than LSU tried to run. The execution was unbelievably bad. Talk about telegraphing the pitch...whoa.

We would not have been destroyed any worse than LSU was. Alabama's offense was average. Both teams' offenses sucked. The defenses were great...but the horrible offenses made them look better than they were. Saban did the right thing to win the game. He opened up the play book in the middle of the field, and closed it down as they got into field goal range. 'Bama played for field goals. It was the way for them to keep the ball, protect it, and to get their kicker on the field.

No team in the country would have destroyed NDSU's defense...sorry...that's just the way it is. 'Bama won with a great defense...but I can also see why GS was able to move the ball on them. More preparation time? Could be...but both teams get the same amount of time...I think.

Mostly agree.

The difference between BCS and FCS isn't nearly as big as the BCS folks like to believe.

Notorious
01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
We had/have a great team, but c'mon...the guys on the field last night are at a totally different level...probably 12-15 future NFL players out there. Either team would beat the bottom half FBS teams by 50, which is where one could realistically put us.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 01:46 PM
So here we have some more evidence of a North Dakota (the state) inferiority complex...even after what we saw in the past two months...Hmmm

I'm amazed.

OK...all of the big California schools (UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford) would have kicked our ass this year. After all...they're in the Pac 12...bigger...etc. Everything is better here. Economy's better.

And the SEC...whoa...they're gods. Our guys could never play with them.

That game last night was a BCS nightmare...embarrassment...shameful. It sucked. Defenses were great. Offenses were incompetent. It was both.

semobison
01-10-2012, 01:57 PM
So here we have some more evidence of a North Dakota (the state) inferiority complex...even after what we saw in the past two months...Hmmm

I'm amazed.

OK...all of the big California schools (UCLA, USC, Cal, Stanford) would have kicked our ass this year. After all...they're in the Pac 12...bigger...etc. Everything is better here. Economy's better.

And the SEC...whoa...they're gods. Our guys could never play with them.

That game last night was a BCS nightmare...embarrassment...shameful. It sucked. Defenses were great. Offenses were incompetent. It was both.

I agree, LSU sucked last night, but it was 1 game! Neither offense in our title game did anything either... We had a great year but lets quit speculating on somthing we cant prove! We got 2 votes in the final AP poll! Thats pretty cool, puts us in the top 30! most people would disagree with that...I think its about right!

JSUBison
01-10-2012, 02:10 PM
We had/have a great team, but c'mon...the guys on the field last night are at a totally different level...probably 12-15 future NFL players out there. Either team would beat the bottom half FBS teams by 50, which is where one could realistically put us.

The vast majority of the time, yes you are probably right. But sometimes lightning is captured in a bottle and things don't turn out the way they're supposed to.

http://i56.tinypic.com/2wexeyo.jpg

Hammerhead
01-10-2012, 02:15 PM
ButtBama only beat Georgia Southern by 24 points. :) We beat GSU by by 28. Sagarin predicts NDSU would lose to LSU by 24 on a neutral field.

KC Bison
01-10-2012, 02:41 PM
My only question is how the defense that I saw last night ever give up 300 yards rushing to Georgia Southern? They must have taken that Saturday off.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 02:57 PM
My only question is how the defense that I saw last night ever give up 300 yards rushing to Georgia Southern? They must have taken that Saturday off.

The answer is that LSU's offensive game plan was absolutely horrible. They did 'nothing' to slow down Alabama's aggressive D. No functioning screen plays, draws, quick passes, option pitches...nadda. Note that I said 'functioning.' Alabama knew that they could pin back their ears for the entire game. 8 or 9 guys in the box...the entire game.

GS ran a decent option game...not great. They were very stout. The facts are in the stat books.

The NCAA & ESPN would love nothing better than to continue with the superiority game...as it currently applies to the SEC. I mean really...we all know that Alabama is much better than Boise State, Oregon, USC, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Wisconsin, etc. None of those teams would have done any better...:facepalm:

But I have one question for some of you guys..."who ever said that football is a reality-based endeavor?"

HooliganBison
01-10-2012, 03:01 PM
We would lucky to score 3 points against Alabama if their players and coaches took it as serious as the national championship. It would be at least a 40 point blowout.

bisontown
01-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Oh man CA, just when I started to enjoy and respect your posts, you spout off stuff like this.

Looking at our offensive performance in the NC game, how do you think we would have scored on Alabama? I give our offense credit for 5.5 points. The early field goal, and 2.5 points on DJ's touchdown, as the mojority of the credit goes to special teams for the fake punt. We wouldn't get a sniff against Alabama's defense.

Now I'm not saying we couldn't play with some SEC schools, some PAC 12 schools, some B1G schools, ect., but not the top ones. Huge difference between Minnesota and Wisconsin, Alabama and Ole Miss, Stanford and Oregon State, etc. Like someone said before, the Alabamas and LSUs have 10+ guys that will be playing on Sunday's on their squad, it is just another level. Nothing against SHSU's defense, because they were great, but they don't hold a torch to bama or LSU. If it was us against Bama in a real NC game, where both teams had 3 weeks to prepare, the score would be something like 31-0 or maybe give us 3 if we get a fluke return or a turnover or something, just the way it is.

semobison
01-10-2012, 03:32 PM
Any given saturday upsets happen! Bottom line though if we had played LSU's schedule, week in and week out, we would have been VERY LUCKY to come out .500!

Kermit
01-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Our offense had trouble moving the ball against Sam Houston (and Southern Illinois). No, I don't think the Bison could move the ball against Alabama (or LSU). Good grief. :facepalm:

squarepeg
01-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Any given saturday upsets happen! Bottom line though if we had played LSU's schedule, week in and week out, we would have been VERY LUCKY to come out .500!

With their schedule 2-12 is a good guess.

td577
01-10-2012, 04:56 PM
The top 15 programs in BCS are in a totally different class than any level of college football. I think the Bison can hang with anyone in the nation ranked lower than 15, the speed of those top teams are incredible. Not only do they have great speed, they have great depth. Bama had a guy fill in for Maze who caught three passes all year and looked as if he not only belonged, he can hang with the best teams in the nation. Him alone would have destroyed most teams on the FCS level.

I think the top 5 FCS programs would be competive with the 15th ranked teams and lower. NDSU, GSU, and SHSU schools, for example, probably could win some of the mid majors and be ranked. Just like the other BCS teams Bama and LSU faced this year, they would have gotten destroyed in the SEC. I think NDSU would have finished around the mid point of some other big conferences, if they had the extra scholarships to enhance depth. Even against the gophers, the Bison were looking pretty ragged by the fourth quarter. The Bison starters were better than the gopher starters but the gophers second and third string were just as good as their starters. The Bison do not have that kind of depth. One game here and there, the Bison can not only be competitive, they can win against the lower two-thirds of BCS football. If they had to play those teams every week, it would be a little different story.

That being all said, the gophers would have finished about 3rd or 4th in the MVFC. In one game, maybe the Bison would hang with Bama until halftime but Bama depth would destroy the Bison in the second half. Our defense would only go so far.

TateMosersneighbor
01-10-2012, 05:26 PM

Your brother is right.

THEsocalledfan
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Your brother is right.

Agreed. We could dominate a conference like a MAC or WAC, but this is a whole nother level.....

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 06:00 PM
OK you guys...now I'm gettin' pissed.

Some of you come on here and brag about North Dakota's economy...you know, the frackin' surplus. In a way, you use it to prop up North Dakota compared to other states. I've seen it used in discussions with visitors several times...some of it not so friendly. I've never argued.

California, if it were a country, would be the 5th largest economy in the world...still...some of you use North Dakota's economy as a means of comparison. There's no comparison...not even close. California is the largest agricultural state in the union...fact. And as we've heard, many of the great nations around the world are suffering economically. It's a world thing. Economically, California is not alone in the world...nor is the United States. The world is in a deep recession, or depression in some cases.

So...should we compare the two...meaning North Dakota & California's economy? Some of you do...quite seriously, as a matter of fact.

Now...I'm talking about football...a means of escaping from the harsh realities of the world around us. It ain't real guys. It's a game.

Who is more delusional?

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Oh man CA, just when I started to enjoy and respect your posts, you spout off stuff like this.

Looking at our offensive performance in the NC game, how do you think we would have scored on Alabama? I give our offense credit for 5.5 points. The early field goal, and 2.5 points on DJ's touchdown, as the mojority of the credit goes to special teams for the fake punt. We wouldn't get a sniff against Alabama's defense.

Now I'm not saying we couldn't play with some SEC schools, some PAC 12 schools, some B1G schools, ect., but not the top ones. Huge difference between Minnesota and Wisconsin, Alabama and Ole Miss, Stanford and Oregon State, etc. Like someone said before, the Alabamas and LSUs have 10+ guys that will be playing on Sunday's on their squad, it is just another level. Nothing against SHSU's defense, because they were great, but they don't hold a torch to bama or LSU. If it was us against Bama in a real NC game, where both teams had 3 weeks to prepare, the score would be something like 31-0 or maybe give us 3 if we get a fluke return or a turnover or something, just the way it is.

I'm just spouting off about a game bisontown. I watched last night, and I saw the unbelievable athleticism of both teams. But in terms of over-all execution...both teams had their problems. Yeah...and we won the MVFC & FCS titles with a purely adequate offense. It's a fact. It's amazing to me that we accomplished what we did, given that our offense was so middle-of-the-road.

Probably my real point has to do with my complete disgust with LSU's offensive game plan. They sucked big-time. Some of the other elite teams would have scored on 'Bama. Fact

bisontown
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I'm just spouting off about a game bisontown. I watched last night, and I saw the unbelievable athleticism of both teams. But in terms of over-all execution...both teams had their problems. Yeah...and we won the MVFC & FCS titles with a purely adequate offense. It's a fact. It's amazing to me that we accomplished what we did, given that our offense was so middle-of-the-road.

Probably my real point has to do with my complete disgust with LSU's offensive game plan. They sucked big-time. Some of the other elite teams would have scored on 'Bama. Fact

Not arguing that LSU sucked last night, was pretty hard to watch actually! I agree, some of the other elite teams would have scored on Alabama, would have loved to see what OK St. would have done to some of those defenses, maybe nothing, maybe would have put up 40, but I would have loved to see it.

SDbison
01-10-2012, 06:38 PM
We would lucky to score 3 points against Alabama if their players and coaches took it as serious as the national championship. It would be at least a 40 point blowout. I call BS.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 06:41 PM
Not arguing that LSU sucked last night, was pretty hard to watch actually! I agree, some of the other elite teams would have scored on Alabama, would have loved to see what OK St. would have done to some of those defenses, maybe nothing, maybe would have put up 40, but I would have loved to see it.

...same here...we agree on this...

SDbison
01-10-2012, 06:42 PM
Need a FCS champ versus FBS champ superbowl to actually measure the difference. Of course the FBS would never go for it because they have too much to lose........that is, their crappy bowl system.

KC Bison
01-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Replace all the bowls with a 32 team playoff, which would require 31 games which is similar to the approximately 30 bowls that we have now. They wouldn't know what to do with all their money if they had anything similar to March Madness. No one will ever know if Oklahoma State could handle Alabama or not because of this stupid play one game and then take a vote system that we have.

56BISON73
01-10-2012, 07:02 PM

You forgot to use purple fonts.:facepalm:

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-10-2012, 07:12 PM
No we would not have scored against Bama.

We couldn't move the ball agaisnt SHSU. How in the hell would you expect us to move it against Bama?

sfassett
01-10-2012, 07:16 PM
You serious Clark?

hahahaha love the Christmas vacation quote

No_Skill
01-10-2012, 07:21 PM
No we would not have scored against Bama.

We couldn't move the ball agaisnt SHSU. How in the hell would you expect us to move it against Bama?

Which is why the correct answer to the question is 2.

344Johnson
01-10-2012, 07:23 PM
Hall of Shame nomination.

Twentysix
01-10-2012, 07:28 PM
10, a non offensive touchdown, and a fieldgoal off of good field position created by our defense. :D

runtheoption
01-10-2012, 07:44 PM
OK you guys...now I'm gettin' pissed.

Some of you come on here and brag about North Dakota's economy...you know, the frackin' surplus. In a way, you use it to prop up North Dakota compared to other states. I've seen it used in discussions with visitors several times...some of it not so friendly. I've never argued.

California, if it were a country, would be the 5th largest economy in the world...still...some of you use North Dakota's economy as a means of comparison. There's no comparison...not even close. California is the largest agricultural state in the union...fact. And as we've heard, many of the great nations around the world are suffering economically. It's a world thing. Economically, California is not alone in the world...nor is the United States. The world is in a deep recession, or depression in some cases.

So...should we compare the two...meaning North Dakota & California's economy? Some of you do...quite seriously, as a matter of fact.

Now...I'm talking about football...a means of escaping from the harsh realities of the world around us. It ain't real guys. It's a game.

Who is more delusional?

Economies? Not sure why that is even being brought up. Size, scope, variety, well ya, obviously CA is bigger than ND's. Overall health of economies...no brainer, ND's is better. Still not sure why we cannot rationally compare the health of ND's economy to other economies.

Many on here are sick of other team's fans saying, "Wow, our playcalling on offense was terrible against NDSU" or "Crap, our offense looked bad against NDSU." And we always say, "It's because our defense is that friggin good. Give credit where it is due." I am pretty sure some LSU fans are saying the same thing about LSU's offense that you are saying about LSU's offense..."LSU sucked royally. Jefferson was completely out of his league and had no answers. Their OC made no meaningful adjustments."

How is it you and other LSU fans saying that is different than SHSU fans (or any other team we played this year) walking away saying that after getting thrashed by NDSU?

Give some credit to Alabama's defense, just like we demand other's give credit to NDSU's defense.

Alabama 30-40 points, NDSU 7 - 10 points.

Hall of Shame nomination.

Agreed

Twentysix
01-10-2012, 07:50 PM
Agree with your 2nd to last line.

If NDSU had BCS conference affiliations and 85 scholarships, alabama would be running scared :p.

NDSUFREAK
01-10-2012, 08:29 PM
No way we would have scored...probably not against he LSU defense either.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Economies? Not sure why that is even being brought up. Size, scope, variety, well ya, obviously CA is bigger than ND's. Overall health of economies...no brainer, ND's is better. Still not sure why we cannot rationally compare the health of ND's economy to other economies.

Many on here are sick of other team's fans saying, "Wow, our playcalling on offense was terrible against NDSU" or "Crap, our offense looked bad against NDSU." And we always say, "It's because our defense is that friggin good. Give credit where it is due." I am pretty sure some LSU fans are saying the same thing about LSU's offense that you are saying about LSU's offense..."LSU sucked royally. Jefferson was completely out of his league and had no answers. Their OC made no meaningful adjustments."

How is it you and other LSU fans saying that is different than SHSU fans (or any other team we played this year) walking away saying that after getting thrashed by NDSU?

Give some credit to Alabama's defense, just like we demand other's give credit to NDSU's defense.

Alabama 30-40 points, NDSU 7 - 10 points.

Agreed

Like comparing the health of your child's allowance to the health of your income.

So...what part of LSU's offense were you impressed with? I was impressed with the athleticism of SHSU's offense...but our defense took them out of their game.

LSU had no game.

Hambone
01-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Like comparing the health of your child's allowance to the health of your income.

So...what part of LSU's offense were you impressed with? I was impressed with the athleticism of SHSU's offense...but our defense took them out of their game.

LSU had no game.

I have a question. Are you comparing NDSU and SHSU offenses against a team that scored 40 or more against Oregon, West Virginia, Florida, Auburn, Georgia and Arkansas? And saying you are more impressed with the NDSU / SHSU offenses? And you think that NDSU (who has an awesome defense, btw) would be able to shut them down? Just curious.

runtheoption
01-10-2012, 09:13 PM

LSU had no game.

I was equally unimpressed with LSU's offense and SHSU's offense. And the reason I was not impressed with either offense is because both NDSU's defense and Alabama's defense were amazing.

You were impressed with SHSU's athleticism, even when we shut them down? But not impressed with LSU's athleticism, when being shut down by 'Bama? LSU scored 35+ points in 11 games this year. The other 3 games, they scored 9 points and 0 points against 'Bama, and 19 points against Mississippi St. I think LSU has some athleticism on the offensive side of the ball. Your lack of credit to the 'Bama defense is stunning.

You truly believe our offense would have moved the ball against 'Bama, or are you just trying to get discussion going?

ndsubison1
01-10-2012, 09:30 PM
why do we keep comparing ourselves to bama? smh

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 09:39 PM
I was equally unimpressed with LSU's offense and SHSU's offense. And the reason I was not impressed with either offense is because both NDSU's defense and Alabama's defense were amazing.

You were impressed with SHSU's athleticism, even when we shut them down? But not impressed with LSU's athleticism, when being shut down by 'Bama? LSU scored 35+ points in 11 games this year. The other 3 games, they scored 9 points and 0 points against 'Bama, and 19 points against Mississippi St. I think LSU has some athleticism on the offensive side of the ball. Your lack of credit to the 'Bama defense is stunning.

You truly believe our offense would have moved the ball against 'Bama, or are you just trying to get discussion going?

Better than LSU's offense...that's really all I'm saying. And...I suppose...our defense would have held up quite well. I don't think that we could beat 'Bama.

moosbah
01-10-2012, 09:46 PM

Would a monkey fly out of your ass?

X-Factor
01-10-2012, 09:49 PM

++

that is just nonsensical to think NDSU could compete with Alabama on that stage. ButtBama was merely overlooking that gimmicky GSU offense and there is no way a team with a bunch of NFL draft picks would anything other than dominate a really good team like NDSU, just as they did to every other really good team on their schedule this year. I believe we could definitely compete with a team like Auburn (and I'm not talking toe-to-toe UND style), but look what Alabama did to Auburn this year! They have athletes vastly superior to ours. That is a fact. The game would not be close nor should it be.

AjaxTheMighty
01-10-2012, 09:50 PM
With our defense right now, Bama would have a hard time moving on US. We are that friggin' good. Not saying we would win, probably not away from home. But, our defense is lights out against anyone. Period. It would be closer than most think. We will never know, it doesn't matter, and since I live in a world with glasses that color all things green and gold, I'll take the Bison. If Appy can go into the Big House and win against a #5 team, a rule everyone who watches football should follow is, never say never in college football. Anything is possible. If they have 44 days to prepare for us, we also have 44 days to prepare for them.

CAS4127
01-10-2012, 09:52 PM
I will just answer the thread question-->NO, unless our defense scored or returned a pick to the 1/2 yard line-->just sayin'!

Twentysix
01-10-2012, 10:05 PM
I will just answer the thread question-->NO, unless our defense scored or returned a pick to the 1/2 yard line-->just sayin'!

I agree with this.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 10:17 PM

I don't agree with this. Just sayin'

IndyBison
01-10-2012, 10:30 PM

LSU had no game.
I think what you are trying to say is the ND economy is very healthy but part of that is due to the small population. I couldn't find exact numbers used to determine unemployment rates but I do have the rates for each state. For November 2011 California was 11.3 (second highest to Nevada at 13) and North Dakota was 3.4 (lowest). There are more unemployed people in California than there are people in North Dakota. If you took 1% of the unemployed in California and moved them to North Dakota, the unemployment rate would start to approach 10% even after you filled all the open jobs. And McDonalds would go back to paying $8/hour.

I think it's great that North Dakota is booming. It's a good problem to have. But as I tell my mother all the time, a 100% growth in housing starts YOY has no impact at all on the number of number of dishwashers sold by a national manufacturer. It's all relative.

And for the record I think we would have been killed by either LSU or Alabama if they played like they cared. It's a different level. But I would love to see us try!

squarepeg
01-10-2012, 11:10 PM
I don't agree with this. Just sayin'

Honest question here. Do you think we could play with the Vikings as bad as they are?

td577
01-10-2012, 11:22 PM
Honest question here. Do you think we could play with the Vikings as bad as they are?

You could put the NCAA All-American team against any NFL team and they would get destroyed. The level of athleticism in the NFL between the best and worst players is marginal. Only the very best college players even get a shot at the NFL, so every NFL team is stacked with the best college players in the nation. Couple that with football becoming their livelihood, the level of football intelligence is world's apart between college and the NFL. Short answer is not on your life. It would be 28-0 before any college player knew they were in a football game.

squarepeg
01-10-2012, 11:45 PM
You could put the NCAA All-American team against any NFL team and they would get destroyed. The level of athleticism in the NFL between the best and worst players is marginal. Only the very best college players even get a shot at the NFL, so every NFL team is stacked with the best college players in the nation. Couple that with football becoming their livelihood, the level of football intelligence is world's apart between college and the NFL. Short answer is not on your life. It would be 28-0 before any college player knew they were in a football game.

Your first sentence is wrong. The NCAA All-American team is all first round draft picks. Your second sentence is wrong. The gap between the best starting QB in the NFL and the worst third string QB is huge. The experience and intelligence part is right.

gizmo
01-10-2012, 11:56 PM
Quarterbacks: Alabama's qb played the game of his life against LSU and that was still just so-so. Big advantage to NDSU but would he have time to throw?

Running backs: Richardson is obviously a big deal even though he wasn't a factor last night. Advantage Alabama.

O-line: Advantage Alabama. They usually make Richardson look good.

Receivers: Holloway is easily as good or better than anybody Alabama puts on the field as is Veldman. Draw.

D-line: Alabama has a couple of studs that NDSU would struggle with. NDSU's d-line is the heart of the team and I think overall the Bison would hold up better than most people think. Advantage to Alabama.

D-backs/linebackers: I will put NDSU's defensive backfield up against anybody. Draw

Kicking game: NDSU is better in all aspects.

Drive killers: NDSU shoots itself in the foot far too often to move the ball consistently on Alabama. To be competitive, NDSU would have to play nearly error free. Major advantage Alabama.

Coaching/game planning. Defensively, we are as good as anybody in game preparation. Draw. Offensively, Alabama with it's wealth of big game experience and unending depth, would have a decided advantage.

Depth: Major advantage to Alabama.

Worst case scenario: Alabama 45+ NDSU 6.

Best case scenario: Alabama 35 NDSU 20.

Realistic scenario: Alabama 45 NDSU 13.

TateMosersneighbor
01-11-2012, 12:07 AM
Better than LSU's offense...that's really all I'm saying. And...I suppose...our defense would have held up quite well. I don't think that we could beat 'Bama.

NDSU's offense is not better than LSU's. Not in any economy. Wow...put the pipe down and get to work on that 5th largest economy that's like 89846 trillion dollars in debt.

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 12:09 AM

R u just posting shit here so other fanboards have sh*t to post about how stupid we can look?! WTF??!!!

56BISON73
01-11-2012, 12:13 AM
Your first sentence is wrong. The NCAA All-American team is all first round draft picks. Your second sentence is wrong. The gap between the best starting QB in the NFL and the worst third string QB is huge. The experience and intelligence part is right.

Just because they are 1st round draft picks doesnt mean the can play at the higher level and it doesnt mean they can play as a team. The used to play a college all star game. The pros won every year except one. Now take an NFL team that has played together against the college all american team??? NFL is going to kick there ass.

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 12:15 AM
NDSU's offense is not better than LSU's. Not in any economy. Wow...put the pipe down and get to work on that 5th largest economy that's like 89846 trillion dollars in debt.

NDSU's offense is not even as good as GSU's or SHSU's. Our D made
them look bad and forced them out if their strengths and preferences.

Bisondan
01-11-2012, 12:24 AM
Quarterbacks: Alabama's qb played the game of his life against LSU and that was still just so-so. Big advantage to NDSU but would he have time to throw?

Running backs: Richardson is obviously a big deal even though he wasn't a factor last night. Advantage Alabama.

Receivers: Holloway is easily as good or better than anybody Alabama puts on the field as is Veldman. Draw.

D-line: Alabama has a couple of studs that NDSU would struggle with. NDSU's d-line is the heart of the team and I think overall the Bison would hold up better than most people think. Advantage to Alabama.

D-backs/linebackers: I will put NDSU's defensive backfield up against anybody. Draw

Drive killers: NDSU shoots itself in the foot far too often to move the ball consistently on Alabama. To be competitive, NDSU would have to play nearly error free. Major advantage Alabama.

Coaching/game planning. Defensively, we are as good as anybody in game preparation. Draw. Offensively, Alabama with it's wealth of big game experience and unending depth, would have a decided advantage.

You would put NDSU's secondary up with Alabama's? You do realize that Dre Kirtpatrick is a consensus top 10 pick in the NFL draft if he comes out this year? That Mark Barron is the consensus number 1 safety in the upcoming draft and projected to be a top 15 pick? As for linebackers being a draw, Alabama has two linebackers that are projected to be taken in the first round this year in Dont'a Hightower and Courtney Upshaw.

I actually agree with your projected scores.

Go Bison!

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 12:25 AM
Just because they are 1st round draft picks doesnt mean the can play at the higher level and it doesnt mean they can play as a team. The used to play a college all star game. The pros won every year except one. Now take an NFL team that has played together against the college all american team??? NFL is going to kick there ass.

Actually the pros won 31 and the college stars won 9, and it was against the NFL champs every year. The great 1973 Dolphins only won 14-3.

TheBisonator
01-11-2012, 12:26 AM
I thought several weeks ago that we would keep it a game with Bama until sometime in the 3rd quarter. I was wrong. Bama's defense is DAMN good. But OTOH, if LSU played the Bison in a game which LSU played exactly the way they played last night, the Bison would have a shot at winning. But I think the Bison would have been able to cross midfield against Bama.

NDSU 6
Bama 41

runtheoption
01-11-2012, 12:31 AM
First comparing us to Alabama / LSU, now the Vikings? This has become the most moronic thread ever. Sure, let's compare them.

Alabama or LSU (you pick 'em, doesn't matter) - 45, NDSU - 6.

Vikings - 150, NDSU - 0.

WTF? This started stupid, now it is borderline insane.

56BISON73
01-11-2012, 12:36 AM
Actually the pros won 31 and the college stars won 9, and it was against the NFL champs every year. The great 1973 Dolphins only won 14-3.

The last college allstar win was 1963. Plus most NFLers considered it an exibition game. Some took it serious other didnt. But this still doesnt change the fact if an NFL team played the all american what the out come would be. As a matter of fact that was the reason the game was cancelled. So your statement was wrong.

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 12:44 AM
The last college allstar win was 1963. Plus most NFLers considered it an exibition game. Some took it serious other didnt. But this still doesnt change the fact if an NFL team played the all american what the out come would be. As a matter of fact that was the reason the game was cancelled. So your statement was wrong.

What was wrong? He said any NFL team would crush a team of college all stars. Between 1964 and 1976 the NFL champs won every game but they never crushed them. Now replace the NFL champs with the worst team in the NFL and see what happens.

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 12:58 AM
What was wrong? He said any NFL team would crush a team of college all stars. Between 1964 and 1976 the NFL champs won every game but they never crushed them. Now replace the NFL champs with the worst team in the NFL and see what happens.

You posted a ? asking if NDSU could play with the Vikings!! R u that dumb or are u trying to make yourself look like an idiot?! Wait, maybe u aren't trying and just are an idiot.

td577
01-11-2012, 01:06 AM

Umm, both sentences were 100% accurate. Please read again and then show me where I was wrong. I don't care if the entire All-American team is 1st round picks, you are talking about professionals against semi-professionals. You are talking about 22 and 23 year olds against NFL hardened players. The second sentence requires no more discussion as you apparently failed to read it the first time. Position by position there is very little difference among the athleticism among any player on any roster. The exceptions are on the high end, not the low one.

ndsubison1
01-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Bama's QB is better than Jensen.

Richardson is a future pro bowler

Bama has potentially the top OL prospect for 2013 NFL Draft

Marquis Maze is a draft pick and one of the fastest guys in the country. We would be going against arguably the best secondary in the nation

Bama has arguably the best DL in college football and they run a 3-4

Bama has the best LB core in the country and Donta Hightower will be starting in the NFL if he leaves for the draft. 3 of their starting 4 in the secondary will be playing the NFL

comments above ^. dont even know why im arguing...

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Umm, both sentences were 100% accurate. Please read again and then show me where I was wrong. I don't care if the entire All-American team is 1st round picks, you are talking about professionals against semi-professionals. You are talking about 22 and 23 year olds against NFL hardened players. The second sentence requires no more discussion as you apparently failed to read it the first time. Position by position there is very little difference among the athleticism among any player on any roster. The exceptions are on the high end, not the low one.

Your statement was The level of athleticism in the NFL between the best and worst players is marginal

This is a false statement. If you meant average athleticism, then say so.

56BISON73
01-11-2012, 01:12 AM

So you are argueing the point of getting crushed. Shit. You just love to argue.

Twentysix
01-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Wow, just stop.

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 01:15 AM
You posted a ? asking if NDSU could play with the Vikings!! R u that dumb or are u trying to make yourself look like an idiot?! Wait, maybe u aren't trying and just are an idiot.

I wanted to see how far CA was willing to stick to his guns.

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 01:19 AM

What? There were 2 questions. One was NDSU/Vikings directed at 1 person. The other was All Americans against the NFL. The Vikings would crush NDSU. They would not crush a team of All Americans.

Notorious
01-11-2012, 01:24 AM
This thread is why I love Bisonville...totally wacko!!

td577
01-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Your statement was The level of athleticism in the NFL between the best and worst players is marginal

This is a false statement. If you meant average athleticism, then say so.

You are entirely too funny. Which way would it be wrong? There are guys sitting on the couch across this country who have cannons for arms, 4.3 speed, and a 43" vertical. There are a handful of completely athletic freaks in the NFL, but there is very LITTLE difference athletically between the top part of any roster with the bottom part. The degree of differences of athleticism between any two players in the NFL, position dependent, is marginal. Your example of 1st string QB to 3rd can be easily dissected with just one example. Christian Ponder and Joe Webb were both athletically more gifted than McNabb. This is on a team in disarray. Imagine the margin on other teams.

I would even go one step further and take the third string of any NFL team against an All-American squad and if the NFL players took it seriously, it still wouldn't be close.

I had fun reading what you had to write, but you have gone from ridiculous to downright delusional in a matter of one page.

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 01:30 AM
This thread is why I love Bisonville...totally wacko!!

You only know the word wacko cuz your mommy calls you that as your "affectionate" nickname!!

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 01:36 AM
I would even go one step further and take the third string of any NFL team against an All-American squad and if the NFL players took it seriously, it still wouldn't be close.

I'll take Andrew Luck against the worst 3rd string QB in the NFL fresh off the practice squad. Do that at every position and you would lose.

If you still don't get it, here's a thought. In 12 months your team of third stringers will still be mostly third stringers. My team of first round draft choices will be mostly first and second teamers on their new NFL teams. It happens every year.

Kermit
01-11-2012, 01:44 AM
I'll take Adam Luck against the worst 3rd string QB in the NFL fresh off the practice squad. Do that at every position and you would lose.

You can have Adam, I'll take Andrew Luck!

squarepeg
01-11-2012, 01:50 AM
You can have Adam, I'll take Andrew Luck!

You win. :)

Hammerhead
01-11-2012, 02:30 AM
I don't know if our D-line would fare very well. I didn't catch all of the introductions, but it seemed like the starting O-line ranged from 310 - 330 lbs.

heffray
01-11-2012, 04:04 AM

Careful, squarepeg, he'll start calling you an a-hole over PM if you admit that you love to argue.

heffray
01-11-2012, 04:11 AM
With our defense right now, Bama would have a hard time moving on US. We are that friggin' good. Not saying we would win, probably not away from home. But, our defense is lights out against anyone. Period. It would be closer than most think. We will never know, it doesn't matter, and since I live in a world with glasses that color all things green and gold, I'll take the Bison. If Appy can go into the Big House and win against a #5 team, a rule everyone who watches football should follow is, never say never in college football. Anything is possible. If they have 44 days to prepare for us, we also have 44 days to prepare for them.

I do not think we would win even in the Fargodome, BUT, I think our coaches are good enough, and our Defense has shown that they can execute a game plan against any offense and shut them down. I think Brock would have to throw like he did against the Gophs in order for us to keep it close, but if we played out of our mind, I don't see any reason why we wouldn't keep it within 2 scores.

56BISON73
01-11-2012, 04:18 AM
Careful, squarepeg, he'll start calling you an a-hole over PM if you admit that you love to argue.

There are people here who like to argue but arent assholes. You just happen to fall in to both categories.

heffray
01-11-2012, 04:25 AM
There are people here who like to argue but arent assholes. You just happen to fall in to both categories.

can you recount as to why exactly you consider me an a-hole? is it because i disagreed with you a few times, made you feel dumb? i honestly don't understand dude, but i think i've explained to you that i was saying most of this stuff in jest.

also, given what i've read of your posts, i'd say you love to argue just as much as anyone. as far as the a-hole part goes--well--i guess i'm not wiling to make that sort of judgement on someone's character based on a couple of internet posts.

BisonNolesFan77
01-15-2012, 08:08 PM
The answer is that LSU's offensive game plan was absolutely horrible. They did 'nothing' to slow down Alabama's aggressive D. No functioning screen plays, draws, quick passes, option pitches...nadda. Note that I said 'functioning.' Alabama knew that they could pin back their ears for the entire game. 8 or 9 guys in the box...the entire game.

GS ran a decent option game...not great. They were very stout. The facts are in the stat books.

The NCAA & ESPN would love nothing better than to continue with the superiority game...as it currently applies to the SEC. I mean really...we all know that Alabama is much better than Boise State, Oregon, USC, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Wisconsin, etc. None of those teams would have done any better...:facepalm:

But I have one question for some of you guys..."who ever said that football is a reality-based endeavor?"

Alabama is that much better than than every other team in college football...Boise, USC, WVU, Wisconsin don't even belong in the same league as this seasons Alabama team.

LSU did try to run option on Bama and failed at it, Jefferson is not a option QB. They did nothing to slow down Bama's D because they could do nothing....Bama's D is that damn good.

CaBisonFan
01-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Alabama is that much better than than every other team in college football...Boise, USC, WVU, Wisconsin don't even belong in the same league as this seasons Alabama team.

LSU did try to run option on Bama and failed at it, Jefferson is not a option QB. They did nothing to slow down Bama's D because they could do nothing....Bama's D is that damn good.

They tried nothing...so we'll never really know. Alabama had 8, and sometimes 9, guys in the box.

There were things to try. The teams that you listed would have scored. I don't believe that any of them would have won.

Alabama deserves the national title. I came away convinced of that.

The original question had something to do with scoring. That's all I'm talking about.

rutlandbison
01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
As to the original question. 0 for the first 3 quarters and then maybe a field goal or touchdown in mop up duty.

56BISON73
01-15-2012, 09:11 PM
I dont believe we would have scored on Alabama.

CaBisonFan
01-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Kent State, Penn St, Arkansas, Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi St, Georgia Southern, & Auburn scored on Alabama this past fall. Georgia Southern scored the most...in the 2nd to the last game of the regular season.

Guess several of you are right. There's no chance that we would have scored on Alabama. All of those teams were better than us.

BisonFan02
01-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Honestly, I think NDSU could hang defensively with alot of BCS teams that rely on the rush for the bulk of their offense. However, a team that is balanced on offense or even slings the ball around (OK St. for example) would have a field day on the Bison.

CaBisonFan
01-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Honestly, I think NDSU could hang defensively with alot of BCS teams that rely on the rush for the bulk of their offense. However, a team that is balanced on offense or even slings the ball around (OK St. for example) would have a field day on the Bison.

I agree with this. I wouldn't have wanted to see us play Oklahoma St, Oregon, or West Virginia.

IndyBison
01-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Kent State, Penn St, Arkansas, Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi St, Georgia Southern, & Auburn scored on Alabama this past fall. Georgia Southern scored the most...in the 2nd to the last game of the regular season.

Guess several of you are right. There's no chance that we would have scored on Alabama. All of those teams were better than us.
We may have scored on them at some other point in the season. The way they played Monday night we would not have scored on them.

IzzyFlexion
01-16-2012, 12:29 AM
GSU will always have the dubious distinction of having lost to the BCS and the FCS Champion in the same season.
I'm not about to look it up, but that's gotta be a first.

CaBisonFan
01-16-2012, 12:33 AM
We may have scored on them at some other point in the season. The way they played Monday night we would not have scored on them.

Against a very, very poor LSU offensive game plan...and a QB that looked like a deer staring at headlights, from the first play of the game. He lost his cool, completely. Miles should have taken him out of the game. Reminded me of 3-4 years ago with the Bison.

LSU contributed to Alabama's success on defense.

Alabama had a great defense. Their offense was adequate. Still...they were the obvious choice to be voted national champions.

CaBisonFan
01-16-2012, 12:34 AM
GSU will always have the dubious distinction of having lost to the BCS and the FCS Champion in the same season.

buttbama & buttbison

Bisonguy
01-16-2012, 12:53 AM

Western Carolina in 2006 lost to Appalachian State (FCS champion) and Florida (BCS champion) for the last two games on their schedule.

perthbison
01-16-2012, 01:07 AM
:biggrin:It just dawned on me that we should give GS credit for scheduling Alabama. Buttbama sounds better than say, Buttgopher.:biggrin:

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-16-2012, 01:42 PM
I dont believe we would have scored on Alabama.

With you all the way on this one PL......Bama is bigger and faster across the board.

CaBisonFan
01-16-2012, 03:10 PM
With you all the way on this one PL......Bama is bigger and faster across the board.

Alabama 30 (10 field goals)
North Dakota St 17

Sorry to say that you are a member of the 'wrong' club. I'm not enjoying this.

Civil06
01-16-2012, 03:40 PM
:biggrin:It just dawned on me that we should give GS credit for scheduling Alabama. Buttbama sounds better than say, Buttgopher.:biggrin:

Buthugecheck

Kermit
01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
I love the Bison--but I frankly find this ongoing discussion pointless and ridiculous. NDSU is not going to play Alabama (or LSU). I personally think that is a good thing because the NDSU program is on a completely different level in every way except pride. Unfortunately, when that pride spills over into certain fans it apparently leads to delusions of grandeur.

The Bison football program is a precious jewel. Bison pride is real, and it was earned over the course of decades by the sweat and blood of hundreds of players and coaches. I think we should treasure and appreciate the program and its accomplishments for what they are. If the program moves up to FBS some day, or if we have the opportunity to play one of the "helmet programs" on the field, then we can talk about that. Doing so now, in my opinion, detracts from the accomplishments of the program rather than enhancing them.

Bison Dan
01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
I love the Bison--but I frankly find this ongoing discussion pointless and ridiculous. NDSU is not going to play Alabama (or LSU). I personally think that is a good thing because the NDSU program is on a completely different level in every way except pride. Unfortunately, when that pride spills over into certain fans it apparently leads to delusions of grandeur.

The Bison football program is a precious jewel. Bison pride is real, and it was earned over the course of decades by the sweat and blood of hundreds of players and coaches. I think we should treasure and appreciate the program and its accomplishments for what they are. If the program moves up to FBS some day, or if we have the opportunity to play one of the "helmet programs" on the field, then we can talk about that. Doing so now, in my opinion, detracts from the accomplishments of the program rather than enhancing them.

Amen .....................

CaBisonFan
01-16-2012, 06:01 PM
And I think that we should end the discussion by saying that the Bison were probably as good as Kent State & Georgia Southern were this fall. GS scored more points than anyone did vs Alabama...and the Bison certainly would have scored against Alabama.

The end.

56BISON73
01-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Well said.