PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Hager

duluthbison
01-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Did anyone notice this article in the forum today? Rocky was at the game and couldn't have been more proud to be a bison and to see what the program has evolved into.

“Today is like the construction of the building of the pyramids,” said Hager, always good for being a bit overdramatic. “But it all started back in the 1960s with coaches like Mudra, Erhardt, Wacker, Solomonson and Morton and has continued with Bohl. It’s pretty special.”

However, since he coached here before my time, what happened? The article mentioned that he was forced out of the program.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/346503/

WYOBISONMAN
01-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Rocky is special.......the truest of Bison.

Snowgoose
01-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Hager was a very good coach and just got caught up with an athletic director that was a slime ball. When Rocky left Division II was already a shell of itself with the limited scholarships which made life very difficult to excel.

I loved Rocky's heart and passion for Bison football.

WYOBISONMAN
01-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Hager was a very good coach and just got caught up with an athletic director that was a slime ball. When Rocky left Division II was already a shell of itself with the limited scholarships which made life very difficult to excel.

I loved Rocky's heart and passion for Bison football.

Indeed. Bob Entzion was a fuck and a tool.

AKBison
01-08-2012, 11:50 PM
Huge props to Rocky. Hopefully he can be around the program a little more now that bohl has one a national championship.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Indeed. Bob Entzion was a fuck and a tool.

All true on this end, but let's remember it was an all around bad situation and more to it than Entzion. Go see the extensive discussion on the 1990's we just had a week or two ago if you want the details.

HandoEX
01-09-2012, 01:49 AM
Rocky is immortal in my book. My first memories of the the Bison were Rocky, Rocky, and more Rocky!

Thunder_Struck
01-09-2012, 02:00 AM
He needs to be in the Bison Hall of Fame!

aces1180
01-09-2012, 02:01 AM
He needs to be in the Bison Hall of Fame!

He already is.

TransAmBison
01-09-2012, 02:03 AM
All true on this end, but let's remember it was an all around bad situation and more to it than Entzion. Go see the extensive discussion on the 1990's we just had a week or two ago if you want the details.You need to talk to CAS. He will enlighten you about what went on behind the scenes. Trust me, you will have a totally different opinion afterwards. It was Entzion.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2012, 02:18 AM
You need to talk to CAS. He will enlighten you about what went on behind the scenes. Trust me, you will have a totally different opinion afterwards. It was Entzion.

I have spoken to CAS and agree; there is no doubt Entzion forced Rocky out. But the whole situation was messed up at the time.......

TransAmBison
01-09-2012, 02:34 AM
I have spoken to CAS and agree; there is no doubt Entzion forced Rocky out. But the whole situation was messed up at the time.......That is not what I am talking about. Talk to CAS about the "lack of discipline" that was such a problem...and why that really happened...definitely not what the public was lead to believe.

WYOBISONMAN
01-09-2012, 02:39 AM
That little park in Omaha played a role is the whole sordid mess as well. Good lord......trying to grab a cop's wankie......:facepalm: Only a UND guy would do that......

onbison09
01-09-2012, 02:50 AM
I was walking to go the bathroom and a guy passed me and I thought "Holy shit! I think that was Rocky!" Turns out it was. :rofl:

CaBisonFan
01-09-2012, 02:55 AM
Rocky had Bob Entzion to deal with on a daily basis. God only knows the meetings & conversations that they had. Here was a complete flake (and that's being kind) who came from UND to oversee Bison Athletics...and the football dynasty...wtf? Then the schollies dropped off. While that happened there was no university leadership to get us the hell out of DII. Then Rocky got very unlucky with a few recruits & their habits. Tensions were off the chart. The stress level for Rocky had to be unbelievable...knowing that the dynasty was slipping. Not saying Rocky was perfect...but he had to absorb a perfect storm. Then Dr. Bob dumped Rocky because he desperately needed a scapegoat.

Then...we still see a guy who loves Bison Football more than most of us...a guy who was fired...a guy who literally gave blood...and years of his life...to save it. We see the guy standing by himself at the championship game...thinking...how in the hell did I get disconnected from the thing that I love?

There's really no good way to explain it. Only Rocky & a few others know the real answers. I admire the players who went through that era.

CivilBison96
01-09-2012, 03:00 AM
My connection with Bison Football started about 1986 and I attended from 92-96 and to me Rocky will always be the face that I associate with Bison Football. You could just tell that he truly bled GREEN AND GOLD (or yellow if some prefer).

SafeTeeJ
01-09-2012, 03:00 AM
I miss Rocky! great last post Ca. proud to have played for him. Last time I saw him was at Donavan Larson's funeral. miss him too! Lots of love...that is Bison Pride. ....and once a Bison, always a Bison is so true.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2012, 03:18 AM
That is not what I am talking about. Talk to CAS about the "lack of discipline" that was such a problem...and why that really happened...definitely not what the public was lead to believe.

Like I said, it was a messed up situation. When you are the "big cheese" and you get caught in a political vice like that, not much you can do. I have a very hard time believing that the President at the time wasn't more involved, however. So, hard for me to say it is all Enzion, even if probably 98%.

TransAmBison
01-09-2012, 03:34 AM
Like I said, it was a messed up situation. When you are the "big cheese" and you get caught in a political vice like that, not much you can do. I have a very hard time believing that the President at the time wasn't more involved, however. So, hard for me to say it is all Enzion, even if probably 98%.Did you ever meet the president at that time? I did. :facepalm:

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Did you ever meet the president at that time? I did. :facepalm:

No, I never did. Not a good impression? (By the way, if folks didn't follow my train of thought, and can't see how an AD can push out a legend like Rocky unless the President is standing behind you.)

TransAmBison
01-09-2012, 02:12 PM
No, I never did. Not a good impression? (By the way, if folks didn't follow my train of thought, and can't see how an AD can push out a legend like Rocky unless the President is standing behind you.)The pres of the time did not care for athletics at all...which is one of the reasons football declined.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2012, 02:13 PM
The pres of the time did not care for athletics at all...which is one of the reasons football declined.

You know, come to think of it, Ozbun always seemed to be at games when we went, but I don't remember ever seeing Plough.....

Hammerhead
01-09-2012, 02:46 PM
In that football documentary they did back in the mid 90s featuring the NDSU/UND rivalry, Rocky noted that loosing that game resulted in a year of hell and I don't think he was kidding. :-)

NDSU_grad
01-09-2012, 03:43 PM
The pres of the time did not care for athletics at all...which is one of the reasons football declined.
Ozbun treated his presidency at NDSU as semi-retirement. I don't think he really cared about any aspect of the university.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Ozbun treated his presidency at NDSU as semi-retirement. I don't think he really cared about any aspect of the university.

I don't think his departure happened under, Ozbun though. Just looked it up and Plough was president when it went down, but he started in 1995 so agree some of it could have started under Ozbun.

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't think he's had anything since the Northeastern debacle. He's 60 so he probably doesn't want to do much more in the way of coaching. Have there ever been overtures to make him an AAD or something? I imagine he would be a bigger rainmaker than Inniger ever was.

NDSU_grad
01-09-2012, 09:31 PM
I don't think his departure happened under, Ozbun though. Just looked it up and Plough was president when it went down, but he started in 1995 so agree some of it could have started under Ozbun.
Yeah, I guess I wasn't trying to implicate Ozbun in Rocky's firing as much as I was just making a general statement on his extremely mediocre presidency.

JMB
01-09-2012, 11:45 PM
I don't think he's had anything since the Northeastern debacle. He's 60 so he probably doesn't want to do much more in the way of coaching. Have there ever been overtures to make him an AAD or something? I imagine he would be a bigger rainmaker than Inniger ever was.

According to the interview with Heitcamp, he is coaching H.S. right now. Says he would be interested in college if the situation was right (mainly doesn't want to be seperated from his family.)

http://www.kfgo.com/uploads/01062011RockyHager_FormBisonCoach.mp3

KSBisonFan
01-10-2012, 12:15 AM
In that football documentary they did back in the mid 90s featuring the NDSU/UND rivalry, Rocky noted that loosing that game resulted in a year of hell and I don't think he was kidding. :-)
Anyone know if that documentary is out on youtube or available to purchase? I think it came out in 1996???

344Johnson
01-10-2012, 12:22 AM
According to the interview with Heitcamp, he is coaching H.S. right now. Says he would be interested in college if the situation was right (mainly doesn't want to be seperated from his family.)

http://www.kfgo.com/uploads/01062011RockyHager_FormBisonCoach.mp3

I wonder if Bohl would be chill with having Hager do some work with the football team...

56BISON73
01-10-2012, 12:35 AM
I wonder if Bohl would be chill with having Hager do some work with the football team...

I dont think that would be healthy.

Bison 4 Life
01-10-2012, 12:46 AM
I dont think that would be healthy.

I don't think it would work either, that's why I think he would be so well suited for fundraising. He would open a lot of checkbooks.