PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Grand Forks fans were cheering for NDSU

NWNDBison
01-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Great article in the Grand Forks Herald.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/225995/

(Please, no Sioux Suck replies on this one. Can't we all just get along?)

As a Sioux Hockey fan and a Bison Football fan, I have no problem supporting either team on the National Stage. It was interesting to note in an interview with AD Gene Taylor that back in the day when a decision had to be made it was, "Do we build a D1 hockey program or do we go full D1 and concentrate on the sports we have?" It was decided it would be too long before an NDSU hockey program could compete with UND. Right decision.

I hope the Forum can be as gracious...I hope Bisonville can be as gracious, in cheering for a UND National Hockey Championship when the time comes, as it will, sooner rather than later. Remember, Bison faithful, it's been 21 long years.

Go, Bison!

North Side
01-08-2012, 10:29 PM
After the football game one of my UND friends texted me. "Finally NDSU has learned how to win big at D1 level. Still no were close to us." Then arguing ensued for about an hour over how FCS football is way harder to win than hawwwky.

I quit chanting "sue suck". That's not their name anymore, its time to move on. Still UND SUCKS!

duluthbison
01-08-2012, 10:42 PM
After the football game one of my UND friends texted me. "Finally NDSU has learned how to win big at D1 level. Still no were close to us." Then arguing ensued for about an hour over how FCS football is way harder to win than hawwwky.

I quit chanting "sue suck". That's not their name anymore, its time to move on. Still UND SUCKS!

....an old abandoned outhouse and they call it UND....

WYOBISONMAN
01-08-2012, 10:44 PM
We had UND fans behind us and they cheered hard for the Bison. Very classy folks......but then....most of us from North Dakota have class.

Hambone
01-08-2012, 10:48 PM
We had UND fans behind us and they cheered hard for the Bison. Very classy folks......but then....most of us from North Dakota have class.

WYO, you've got a question to answer on SS in the "Where do you see UND going?" thread. Better get over there and take care of that :)

NWNDBison
01-08-2012, 10:51 PM

^^^^^This!^^^^^

And, I'm thinking, that ND transplants are having a positive influence on Wyo folks. With the majesty of the Bighorns, how could Wyo folks not be gracious? (Except when NDSU football meets up with Wyo Cowboys football, of course!)

WYOBISONMAN
01-08-2012, 10:52 PM
WYO, you've got a question to answer on SS in the "Where do you see UND going?" thread. Better get over there and take care of that :)

Check your PM....

WYOBISONMAN
01-08-2012, 10:53 PM
^^^^^This!^^^^^

And, I'm thinking, that ND transplants are having a positive influence on Wyo folks. With the majesty of the Bighorns, how could Wyo folks not be gracious? (Except when NDSU football meets up with Wyo Cowboys football, of course!)

WYO would be fools to schedule the Bison now. I would be a thumping and a big set back for a program that is starting to get its shit together. And, I will guaratee you that CSU is wishing to hell they did not have us on the schedule.

heffray
01-08-2012, 10:56 PM

You can't even argue with people like this, their so delusional. I've had a couple of spirited arguments with some UND fans since yesterday's victory. I tell them that they can win all the Hockey awards they want, we're happy for ya, but I'm quick to let them know that THIS CHAMIONSHIP does NOT belong to the people of North Dakota, but to the Bison football team, the students, the alumni, their fans and supporters... And that it's the biggest accomplishment of any school in the history of the State.

NDSUFREAK
01-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Great article in the Grand Forks Herald.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/225995/

(Please, no Sioux Suck replies on this one. Can't we all just get along?)

As a Sioux Hockey fan and a Bison Football fan, I have no problem supporting either team on the National Stage. It was interesting to note in an interview with AD Gene Taylor that back in the day when a decision had to be made it was, "Do we build a D1 hockey program or do we go full D1 and concentrate on the sports we have?" It was decided it would be too long before an NDSU hockey program could compete with UND. Right decision.

I hope the Forum can be as gracious...I hope Bisonville can be as gracious, in cheering for a UND National Hockey Championship when the time comes, as it will, sooner rather than later. Remember, Bison faithful, it's been 21 long years.

Go, Bison!

Great for them cheering us on...wonder how many were actual und fans rather than NDSU grads living in gf? (unlikely I know...;))

But no, I will never cheer them on in hockey...mostly being that I am a Gopher hockey fan. So, again, und sucks and I'll never cheer for them but if they choose to cheer for us then great! :biggrin: haha

WYOBISONMAN
01-08-2012, 11:01 PM
Speaking of rubes......DaveK has been quiet since the Bison took the title. I think his head exploded.........

http://clatl.com/binary/8ce7/1300730497-head_explode.jpg

Hambone
01-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Thank you WYO sir!

Answer Guy
01-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Speaking of rubes......DaveK has been quiet since the Bison took the title. I think his head exploded.........

The Bison won the FCS title. DaveK only cares about 1-AA.

A1pigskin
01-09-2012, 12:44 AM
It's good to see us all come together and bring one home for the state of ND.

lakesbozo
01-09-2012, 01:32 AM
I saw plenty of und people give ndsu props no homo

This win = all their 53 team d2,d3 hockey titles combined

heffray
01-09-2012, 04:12 AM
I saw plenty of und people give ndsu props no homo

This win > all their 53 team d2,d3 hockey titles combined

There, I fixed it for you.

imabison
01-09-2012, 04:22 AM

I was disappointed to BW3 to hear it when they changed "Lets Go Bison", and even more so at the Fargodome.

I mean chanting for a great program and including a nonexistent school, and a non existent nickname.

RadBison
01-09-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm sure I'll get negative rep for this but.....as a guy who cheers for hockey and football equally (and not UND or UofM) I'd say that both championships are similary significant to win. Sure there are less teams in hockey but how many FCS teams are legitimate contenders any given year? Remove all the non-scholarship teams, they have no shot. Remove the teams that don't have the facilities (and thus don't have the revenue) as they have little to no shot. OK, that means there are probably 30 FCS teams with even a small chance any given year. Do the same with hockey, remove the non-scholarship teams (not including the Ivies, there are at least 2-3 teams with a shot to win it among them) and remove the teams who don't have the facilities/revenue to compete. Looks like about 20-25 teams that have a reasonable shot to win it any given year.

Given how little coverage :( I've seen this weekend on the FCS Championship I'd say the rest of the country seems to think FCS football and hockey are equally worthy of being ignored. Sad but its the reality we live with.

North Side
01-09-2012, 04:33 AM
I'm sure I'll get negative rep for this but.....as a guy who cheers for hockey and football equally (and not UND or UofM) I'd say that both championships are similary significant to win. Sure there are less teams in hockey but how many FCS teams are legitimate contenders any given year? Remove all the non-scholarship teams, they have no shot. Remove the teams that don't have the facilities (and thus don't have the revenue) as they have little to no shot. OK, that means there are probably 30 FCS teams with even a small chance any given year. Do the same with hockey, remove the non-scholarship teams (not including the Ivies, there are at least 2-3 teams with a shot to win it among them) and remove the teams who don't have the facilities/revenue to compete. Looks like about 20-25 teams that have a reasonable shot to win it any given year.

Given how little coverage :( I've seen this weekend on the FCS Championship I'd say the rest of the country seems to think FCS football and hockey are equally worthy of being ignored. Sad but its the reality we live with.

College hockey: Bemidji St. makes it the Frozen Four.... something like that would never happen in FCS. Its defiantly easier.

matt
01-09-2012, 04:38 AM
I was disappointed to BW3 to hear it when they changed "Lets Go Bison", and even more so at the Fargodome.

I mean chanting for a great program and including a nonexistent school, and a non existent nickname.

I have to agree, I was not impressed to hear the chant at the dome last night. I don't get why UND should even be a thought for NDSU fans at this point. I fully appreciate the history and the rivalry (I have 2 degrees from NDSU and work at UND) .... but let it go. Everyone I know in GF was genuinely excited for NDSU and almost all were supporting the Bison.

RadBison
01-09-2012, 05:02 AM
College hockey: Bemidji St. makes it the Frozen Four.... something like that would never happen in FCS. Its defiantly easier.

Making the Frozen Four is not the same as winning the Championship. It takes two games to make the Frozen Four, a hot goalie can get you that far but it takes a team to win the title.

For an example, George Mason makes the Final Four in BB. That's not any different than Bemidji making the Frozen Four but its MUCH harder. That said, crazy things do happen once in a blue moon. If Bemidji makes it again in the next 10 years, then I'll say hockey is easier. (assuming NDSU makes another title apperance in that time)

RadBison
01-09-2012, 05:07 AM
I have to agree, I was not impressed to hear the chant at the dome last night. I don't get why UND should even be a thought for NDSU fans at this point. I fully appreciate the history and the rivalry (I have 2 degrees from NDSU and work at UND) .... but let it go. Everyone I know in GF was genuinely excited for NDSU and almost all were supporting the Bison.

The hatred for the Soiux runs long and it runs deep. If the two teams don't play each other for the next 50 years fans will still chant disparaging cheers at each other, its been that long, its that deep and it divides familys. And for the record I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy the "rivalry" with SDSU but I respect them, I enjoy it when they have success and I think they are enjoying, to an extent, the Bison having success this year. When UND wins it makes me sick, always has and I assume it always will. My friends who went to UND tell me they have the same feeling when NDSU wins. This weekend might be the exception because North Dakota wins when the U or SU win a title. Admit it or not on here, lots and lots of NDSU fans are UND hockey fans, winning is good for North Dakota.

56BISON73
01-09-2012, 05:21 AM
The hatred for the Soiux runs long and it runs deep. If the two teams don't play each other for the next 50 years fans will still chant disparaging cheers at each other, its been that long, its that deep and it divides familys. And for the record I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy the "rivalry" with SDSU but I respect them, I enjoy it when they have success and I think they are enjoying, to an extent, the Bison having success this year. When UND wins it makes me sick, always has and I assume it always will. My friends who went to UND tell me they have the same feeling when NDSU wins. This weekend might be the exception because North Dakota wins when the U or SU win a title. Admit it or not on here, lots and lots of NDSU fans are UND hockey fans, winning is good for North Dakota.

The win might be good for North Dakota but it wasnt good for UND or their fans.

Bison03
01-09-2012, 05:22 AM
Let's get one thing straight. Some UND fans (remember Sioux fans technically don't exist anymore) were cheering for the Bison. But most wanted them to lose and were cheering for SH like they were their favorite team. I even saw some UND fans at the game yesterday. They may have been cheering for us but they were wearing Sioux clothing. Not North Dakota, but clothing with the Sioux logo on it. Ok, we get it; you're not Bison fans, but don't wear that shit to an NDSU championship game. I know lots of UND fans and all of them were cheering against us, and that's fine by me. What's funny is how a lot of them are getting their panties in a bunch because Marcus Williams said Sioux suck and they crowd at the dome yelled it after here we go bison. Relax. The real reason for the anger is they wish they had what we had and realize the gap between our football teams right now. In regards to our title; they said we would never get one, we did, and they want one. Jealousy is a powerful thing.

jimmyptubas
01-09-2012, 05:39 AM
Pretty split on SS. Many fans rooting for the bison and many people claiming they are "True UND" fans and rooting against them. DaveK is probably in that latter category but who cares?!

MNLonghorn10
01-09-2012, 05:42 AM
there was one dude in a und hoodie postgame in a pack of ndsu fans at the irish rover last night in plano..so u know he went to the game, but my god is that douchey. i hope he was in the bison section, and sat in row 1..so whenever he had to go piss or whatever...everyone taunted him so he had to explain how stupid he looks wearing that shit.

i still laugh at ss's little "jv champ" jabs. sure, its really jv when lsu and bama have boosters, donors, scholarships and about 1000x the fanbase as ndsu. seems like fair game, although it isn't like ndsu hasn't proven they can beat schools in the same league as bama or lsu..something und doesnt do. i dont think they know what theyre talking about, but whatever helps them sleep.

anyways, they suck, but maybe theyll get some d1 wins next year in the fluff

roadwarrior
01-09-2012, 09:31 AM
Just wondering, how long since the who won a national championship in hockey?

DjKyRo
01-09-2012, 10:39 AM
I noticed one post that referred to Jensen as "the lone chink in NDSU's armor." If our one chink passes at 67% completion and a 7:2 TD-INT ratio, we must have some pretty damn good armor.

WYOBISONMAN
01-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Pretty split on SS. Many fans rooting for the bison and many people claiming they are "True UND" fans and rooting against them. DaveK is probably in that latter category but who cares?!

Just remember.......the rubes are all on the boards so I doubt that it is representative of a cross-section of the fan base. I suspect that most folks that normally follow UND athletics were also rooting for the Bison. That is certainly the case with the ones that I know personally. It is just like the Bison fan base.....we ain't all Viking fans. Some of you nutty people actually cheer for the Packers........ ;)

NorthernBison
01-09-2012, 01:09 PM
Just wondering, how long since the who won a national championship in hockey?

2000 was the last one.

Must be hard to win. After all, they have the BEST FACILITY in the WORLD, better support than anybody, history of getting players to the NHL, and the best logo in sports. The surprise is that they don't win it every year.

Seriously, this has to burn for every real Sioux fan. Yeah, there were plenty who say they were cheering for us but I doubt if many would have been bummed if the Bison had lost.

HandoEX
01-09-2012, 01:32 PM
Just a some Bison fans cheer for UND hockey since we don't have that sport, some UND fans support Bison football since UND doesn't really have a football team.

Pretty simple really.

semobison
01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Just remember.......the rubes are all on the boards so I doubt that it is representative of a cross-section of the fan base. I suspect that most folks that normally follow UND athletics were also rooting for the Bison. That is certainly the case with the ones that I know personally. It is just like the Bison fan base.....we ain't all Viking fans. Some of you nutty people actually cheer for the Packers........ ;)

Well put! Fans on message boards are the extreme's! My best friend from high school played football for UND back in the late 70's, early 80's. He has been texting me throughout the playoffs, pulling for the Bison the whole way. His reason, they represent North Dakota, his home state!

MNLonghorn10
01-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Just a some Bison fans cheer for UND hockey since we don't have that sport, some UND fans support Bison football since UND doesn't really have a football team.

Pretty simple really.
ef that noise, screw them fags
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/218155_10150162725517376_501172375_6632373_870002_ n.jpg

they mad?

IndyBison
01-09-2012, 04:41 PM

I agree with this comment. The FCS championship may get a little more exposure due to the general popularity of football over hockey but I don't think it's a significant difference. I have friends who are general sports fans that don't follow hockey closely and they are aware there is a school in ND that has a strong hockey program. They ask if it's the one I went to. I think the biggest impact from this game is for recruits and ticket sales. And the alcohol distributors in the Frisco/Plano area. They had a good weekend.

NorthernBison
01-09-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree with this comment. The FCS championship may get a little more exposure due to the general popularity of football over hockey but I don't think it's a significant difference. I have friends who are general sports fans that don't follow hockey closely and they are aware there is a school in ND that has a strong hockey program. They ask if it's the one I went to. I think the biggest impact from this game is for recruits and ticket sales. And the alcohol distributors in the Frisco/Plano area. They had a good weekend.

I wasn't in Frisco so I got to see the aftermath.

About 30 seconds after the game ended, ESPN2 cut to a basketball game. Our game got about a 20 second spot on SportsCenter on Saturday. That's it. Done. Over. End of Story to the General public.

NCAA hockey is about the same.

CaBisonFan
01-09-2012, 05:12 PM
I doubt that any really serious UND fans had their hearts in the game in terms of cheering for the Bison. It just doesn't work that way. There's too much resentment. Every major rivalry in the country works this way.

UND shouldn't have been a topic during the celebration. That was stupid. Not life-threatening...just inappropriate.

heffray
01-09-2012, 05:21 PM
The win might be good for North Dakota but it wasnt good for UND or their fans.

I could not agree more, 56. (Did I just say that?)

heffray
01-09-2012, 05:24 PM
let's get one thing straight. Some und fans (remember sioux fans technically don't exist anymore) were cheering for the bison. But most wanted them to lose and were cheering for sh like they were their favorite team. I even saw some und fans at the game yesterday. They may have been cheering for us but they were wearing sioux clothing. Not north dakota, but clothing with the sioux logo on it. Ok, we get it; you're not bison fans, but don't wear that shit to an ndsu championship game. I know lots of und fans and all of them were cheering against us, and that's fine by me. What's funny is how a lot of them are getting their panties in a bunch because marcus williams said sioux suck and they crowd at the dome yelled it after here we go bison. Relax. The real reason for the anger is they wish they had what we had and realize the gap between our football teams right now. In regards to our title; they said we would never get one, we did, and they want one. Jealousy is a powerful thing.

^this! +++++

NDSU_grad
01-09-2012, 06:09 PM
2000 was the last one.

Must be hard to win. After all, they have the BEST FACILITY in the WORLD, better support than anybody, history of getting players to the NHL, and the best logo in sports. The surprise is that they don't win it every year.

Seriously, this has to burn for every real Sioux fan. Yeah, there were plenty who say they were cheering for us but I doubt if many would have been bummed if the Bison had lost.
Not to mention millions of alums.

ThompsonBison
01-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Rivalries are rivalries, plain and simple. Anyone can say it doesn't matter and they don't want to talk about the Sioux because they are in our past but the reality is that the rivalry will never die. Will it be like it was? Probably not because the consistency will not be there with each team being in different conferences but when they meet again (in football) the raw emotion and passion will be one of the most intense things that has happened in North Dakota sports in a long time. Hell, although bb isn't what the core of the rivalry, playing that game has rekindled it in sorts and tell those kids the rivalry doesn't matter. I applaud the North Dakota sports fan who is able to cheer for both NDSU football and UND hockey. I don't consider them secondary fans or not-true fans like some say but I doubt they have the passion that most of us have for Bison football. They probably simply enjoy the success of North Dakota. I'm not a graduate of either school but after have bled green and gold for over thirty years (and I'm in my mid-30's) - I wouldn't cheer for UND to beat USD, UofM, SDSU, UNI or anyone else. I hate them I hope they lose every championship they ever play in. I was high fiving my 10 year old son last year as Michigan beat the Sioux. That was the first hockey game I watched on TV since the last time they lost in the Frozen Four. I don't like hockey but I wanted to watch them lose, period. I'm not afraid to say they have great hockey tradition either but I simply don't care, I don't like hockey. The difference between them saying the same thing about the Bison is not very many can say they don't like football. There's no way to settle what's bigger between Bison football and Sioux hockey but it's pretty evident what sport matters most to most americans. We talk about big time all the time - you think Ohio State players and fans have ever made references that Michigan sucks after one of their national titles - I would bet a lot that it's pretty common. Some try and say the rivalry is no longer - rivalries as strong as this don't die - look at the big picture. If the rivalry was dead we wouldn't care but its pretty obvious most North Dakotans do care. Heitkamp made a big deal of Williams' comments because he hates NDSU and can't say it. You think when Travis Beck and Ryan Smith were 9 years old the didn't know there was a Sioux-Bison rivalry? On a side note, all the BS the Herald printed about GF pulling for the Herd on Saturday was quickly retracted with their Sports headline today. Time for "Big Boy" Football. It's an associated press article but you can bet the bold headline was all theirs to take shot at the Bison. It was hard to miss in the four page rag they print on Mondays.

56BISON73
01-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Rivalries are rivalries, plain and simple. Anyone can say it doesn't matter and they don't want to talk about the Sioux because they are in our past but the reality is that the rivalry will never die. Will it be like it was? Probably not because the consistency will not be there with each team being in different conferences but when they meet again (in football) the raw emotion and passion will be one of the most intense things that has happened in North Dakota sports in a long time. Hell, although bb isn't what the core of the rivalry, playing that game has rekindled it in sorts and tell those kids the rivalry doesn't matter. I applaud the North Dakota sports fan who is able to cheer for both NDSU football and UND hockey. I don't consider them secondary fans or not-true fans like some say but I doubt they have the passion that most of us have for Bison football. They probably simply enjoy the success of North Dakota. I'm not a graduate of either school but after have bled green and gold for over thirty years (and I'm in my mid-30's) - I wouldn't cheer for UND to beat USD, UofM, SDSU, UNI or anyone else. I hate them I hope they lose every championship they ever play in. I was high fiving my 10 year old son last year as Michigan beat the Sioux. That was the first hockey game I watched on TV since the last time they lost in the Frozen Four. I don't like hockey but I wanted to watch them lose, period. I'm not afraid to say they have great hockey tradition either but I simply don't care, I don't like hockey. The difference between them saying the same thing about the Bison is not very many can say they don't like football. There's no way to settle what's bigger between Bison football and Sioux hockey but it's pretty evident what sport matters most to most americans. We talk about big time all the time - you think Ohio State players and fans have ever made references that Michigan sucks after one of their national titles - I would bet a lot that it's pretty common. Some try and say the rivalry is no longer - rivalries as strong as this don't die - look at the big picture. If the rivalry was dead we wouldn't care but its pretty obvious most North Dakotans do care. Heitkamp made a big deal of Williams' comments because he hates NDSU and can't say it. You think when Travis Beck and Ryan Smith were 9 years old the didn't know there was a Sioux-Bison rivalry? On a side note, all the BS the Herald printed about GF pulling for the Herd on Saturday was quickly retracted with their Sports headline today. Time for "Big Boy" Football. It's an associated press article but you can bet the bold headline was all theirs to take shot at the Bison. It was hard to miss in the four page rag they print on Mondays.

Yes sir. During this bowl season an play by play guy was talking about traditional rivalries and how the new conferences were going to effect those games. While one announcer said that new rivalries would would start in the very near future the play by play guy said---

rivalries can not be assigned or declared. They are built over time, over many wins and losses.etc UND IS the 500lb gorilla in the room. Just because some of you dont want to think its sitting there doest mean he doesnt exist.

cbline
01-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Traded a couple comments on Facebook with one of my brothers (und grad) over the weekend. He wondered why people were so excited over "little sub-division" FCS playoffs. He lives in the Twin Cities, so I replied that Minnesota and Kansas must be BELOW sub-division football using that logic. His classic response: along the lines of "yeah, but we have hockey". Priceless.