PDA

View Full Version : In a game decided by big plays......

Hoofbeats
01-08-2012, 05:24 PM
(this is the first thread I've ever started on this Forum, hopefully I do it right)

In a championship game decided by big plays, one of the biggest to me, was the tackle made by Carlton Littlejohn on Sam Houston State receiver Torrence Williams. I can't remember the exact circumstances but I'm sure others can fill in my gaps of memory.

The first photo attached (courtesy of the Sam Houston State Bearkat football forum) details the tackle and the second, shows that if Littlejohn had not made the tackle, what stood between Williams and the end zone.

Another example of Offense sells tickets, Defense wins Championships! Enjoy!

TateMosersneighbor
01-08-2012, 06:40 PM
(this is the first thread I've ever started on this Forum, hopefully I do it right)

In a championship game decided by big plays, one of the biggest to me, was the tackle made by Carlton Littlejohn on Sam Houston State receiver Torrence Williams. I can't remember the exact circumstances but I'm sure others can fill in my gaps of memory.

The first photo attached (courtesy of the Sam Houston State Bearkat football forum) details the tackle and the second, shows that if Littlejohn had not made the tackle, what stood between Williams and the end zone.

Start more, your avatar is nice. Who is that?

THEsocalledfan
01-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Start more, your avatar is nice. Who is that?

Me. You like my rack?

CaBisonFan
01-08-2012, 08:09 PM

Thank you for the kind words & classy post. I must make a point from my perspective however. I do it with respect for your outstanding team & fan base.

The game wasn't decided by a few big plays. SHSU's offense entered into a state of disarray as the game progressed...and it had little to no momentum. It felt like many of our games this year. The score would be close...but the opposition had little chance of catching up. Once the pattern had been set up yesterday...it felt very familiar & predictable. Our offense provided just enough time & yardage to complement our defense. That felt pretty normal.

We won the championship with one of the best defenses in all of college football...a minimal amount of offense...and a defensive score (-a yard). Defense made up for our early turnovers & the punt block.

This game didn't turn on a dime...or a few plays. The methodical breakdown of an outstanding offense is what I saw. Every play was big.

Still...if forced to...I would call SHSU the best team that we played this year.

extremerouge
01-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Thank you for the kind words & classy post. I must make a point from my perspective however. I do it with respect for your outstanding team & fan base.

The game wasn't decided by a few big plays. SHSU's offense entered into a state of disarray as the game progressed...and it had little to no momentum. It felt like many of our games this year. The score would be close...but the opposition had little chance of catching up. Once the pattern had been set up yesterday...it felt very familiar & predictable. Our offense provided just enough time & yardage to complement our defense. That felt pretty normal.

We won the championship with one of the best defenses in all of college football...a minimal amount of offense...and a defensive score (-a yard). Defense made up for our early turnovers & the punt block.

This game didn't turn on a dime...or a few plays. The methodical breakdown of an outstanding offense is what I saw. Every play was big.

Still...if forced to...I would call SHSU the best team that we played this year.

Hey CA, Hoofbeats is a Bison fan.

I liked the post hoofbeats! Start more threads this is great! Do you remember the time of this play and the score?

CaBisonFan
01-08-2012, 08:38 PM
Hey CA, Hoofbeats is a Bison fan.

I liked the post hoofbeats! Start more threads this is great! Do you remember the time of this play and the score?

Didn't realize that...sorry. I still stand by the analysis. My bad.

CaBisonFan
01-08-2012, 09:09 PM

Sorry I mistook you for a SHSU fan. No good reason for it. Just was in a hurry. Excellent first post Hoofbeats.

Hoofbeats
01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks guys....I'm a five year observer of this forum, but most times I just don't have much of value to add....this might be one of those times!

As for the play, I beleive it came after that long Sam Houston punt return (that guy chewed us up) just before halftime. After that return Littlejohn making the play he did and making it within the 20 yard line, led to Sam Houston having to settle for their second field goal and a 6-3 halftime lead.

I suppose you can go back and play the "what if" game but in my opinion, if Sam Houston scores a touchdown with less than a minute remaining in the half, it's a entirely different situation for the Bison to start the second half behind 10-3 versus just 6-3. I remember Jeremy Jorgenson interviewing Craig Bohl just prior to the start of the second half and his calm demeanor and quiet confidence was reassuring to hear. Voigtlander's third quarter jaunt and DJ's next play touchdown which put the Bison ahead 10-3 was again to me, another huge turn, again just as that from Carlton Littlejohn.

Hopeful-Bison-Baller
01-08-2012, 09:29 PM

Id say UNI. YSU is a joke and we would have throttled them any other week. Definitely a fluke that game was.

SpursBison
01-08-2012, 09:45 PM
Great comment Hoofbeats, and CaBisonFan.

There were a number of games we could have slipped up on this year, but for the defense and an opportune coaching call and the offense executing, including SIU and the Champsionship game. And YSU game proves that any team can loose on any particular day. We would have won that game had DJ not fumble and the momentum turned. Or, if Williams doesn't grab that ball in Minnesota.

There were several situations that made this the season, and that play was as crucial as any of them. Fortunately, the defense was nearly always there this year.

OrygunBison
01-08-2012, 10:22 PM
We had a few the other direction as well. MWill would have taken it to the house early in the game if he'd have caught that int. We also don't turnover the ball but did twice in bad situations. (Credit their defense.) I guess I'm more impressed with how we won given the fact that lady luck wasn't necessarily on our side. Our offense didn't play a good game. I think most of that can be credited to their defense but they also didn't execute very well, particularly the interior blocking for most of the game.

Yikes, I sound a little negative. Didn't mean that. Just want to point out that it goes both ways.

56BISON73
01-09-2012, 03:55 AM
We had a few the other direction as well. MWill would have taken it to the house early in the game if he'd have caught that int. We also don't turnover the ball but did twice in bad situations. (Credit their defense.) I guess I'm more impressed with how we won given the fact that lady luck wasn't necessarily on our side. Our offense didn't play a good game. I think most of that can be credited to their defense but they also didn't execute very well, particularly the interior blocking for most of the game.

Yikes, I sound a little negative. Didn't mean that. Just want to point out that it goes both ways.

Negative. No. Its the truth. SHSU had a hell of a team. There were some serious hits that SHSU were dishing out. There D play was the reason we werent executing. They were controlling the LOS. Brock was also getting hammered back there.

This game was played just like a Championship game should be played. It was smash mouth football from start to finish.

LikeMothers
01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
I am bumping this thread. I had to dig for it. It seems like we should be talking about The Game, not Alabama, Sioux Suck, and Porta-Johns.

perthbison
01-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Negative. No. Its the truth. SHSU had a hell of a team. There were some serious hits that SHSU were dishing out. There D play was the reason we werent executing. They were controlling the LOS. Brock was also getting hammered back there.

This game was played just like a Championship game should be played. It was smash mouth football from start to finish.I was very surprised at the quality of their D line. Didn't expect them to be that effective.

SamsRams
01-10-2012, 11:13 PM

This game was played just like a Championship game should be played. It was smash mouth football from start to finish.

Yeah they really brought pressure and it was the first time i saw the Rams miss numerous blocks on big plays....and not just one guy missing an assignment on one play but usually more then one. I look forward to this weekend when I can watch each play over and over, but that is my initial observation

Bison"FANatic"
01-10-2012, 11:24 PM
The Rams were having a tough time but we just didn't seem to adjust they had their hands full. A lesser line would have been eaten alive but they were athletic enough to get it done well enough. It was good enough to win us the title and for that I am happy but a blue print was laid out for teams to look at on how to beat us. They have to execute it though and not many teams are going to be able to leave their cornerbacks on a island and line 5 sometimes 6 up at the line and bring pressure from all over. There were times they were bringing two guys in the same spot, first took the blocker and the second took the clear path.

semobison
01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
They were ranked #1 in the nation in run defense and it showed in the championship game, 115 yards at 3.4 ypc! Take away Voit's fake punt and they hold us under 100. Its a good thing our D played better!

BisonAccountant44
01-11-2012, 12:34 AM
When we had them backed up to the 1 and the ball came flying out on 1st down, did anyone have a good look at that play, or see a replay? We were in the opposite end zone, and it seemed like the ball came flying out way late, but at least two people around us immediately got text messages saying that it would've been ruled a fumble and TD for us if it had been reviewed. That could've helped seal the game early had that gone the other way as well.

tony
01-11-2012, 12:43 AM
SHSU's defense was awesome - it would be very interesting to be in a room with NDSU's offensive coaches when they break down that film.

SHSU's QB Bell had an awful day passing the ball too - just about every pass SHSU threw (except those that they deliberately launched into the sidelines) was a legitimate interception chance for NDSU, including two INTs that were flat out dropped.

Both defenses really stepped up.

CivilBison96
01-11-2012, 02:37 AM
When we had them backed up to the 1 and the ball came flying out on 1st down, did anyone have a good look at that play, or see a replay? We were in the opposite end zone, and it seemed like the ball came flying out way late, but at least two people around us immediately got text messages saying that it would've been ruled a fumble and TD for us if it had been reviewed. That could've helped seal the game early had that gone the other way as well.

It goes back to Indy's point of a couple of months ago regarding inadvertent whistles. The ref had blown the whistle so it could not be reviewed, in the replay you can hear the whistle before the ball gets ripped out. I don't know if the replay booth has audio but I am fairly certain that once a whistle is blown whatever happens after is non reviewable.

CivilBison96
01-11-2012, 02:40 AM
The Rams were having a tough time but we just didn't seem to adjust they had their hands full. A lesser line would have been eaten alive but they were athletic enough to get it done well enough. It was good enough to win us the title and for that I am happy but a blue print was laid out for teams to look at on how to beat us. They have to execute it though and not many teams are going to be able to leave their cornerbacks on a island and line 5 sometimes 6 up at the line and bring pressure from all over. There were times they were bringing two guys in the same spot, first took the blocker and the second took the clear path.

The first 2 series when Brock dropped back he could have had a sandwich checked his email (had he brought is Iphone) and still had time to throw but they obviously made some adjustment as after those series he seemed to be ducking and running for his life the rest of the game.

bisontown
01-11-2012, 03:39 AM
There D was good, no doubt, but some of our mistakes were from lack of execution. If you look at Brock's int., they had a blitz on and we had the right protection. The O-lineman and the runningback went to block the same guy, and left the other blitzer to have a free shot at Brock. Brock wasn't able to step into his throw, and he badly underthrew Smith. Too bad, if we pick up that blitz its a huge play for us, Smith may even have found the endzone.

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 03:43 AM
3 big plays actually dictated the outcome of this game: fake punt, bubble screen and Beck interception and return. But for those, we r down 6-3.

heffray
01-11-2012, 04:36 AM
The first 2 series when Brock dropped back he could have had a sandwich checked his email (had he brought is Iphone) and still had time to throw but they obviously made some adjustment as after those series he seemed to be ducking and running for his life the rest of the game.

I was thinking the same thing, I think their secondary played very well too, when Brock had time, he looked hesitant. I'm not a great football mind so I wasn't able to watch the whole field and decipher whether or not this was because there was no one to throw to, but I can't think of anything else to account for this. Brock usually finds the open man.

THEsocalledfan
01-11-2012, 01:43 PM
I was thinking the same thing, I think their secondary played very well too, when Brock had time, he looked hesitant. I'm not a great football mind so I wasn't able to watch the whole field and decipher whether or not this was because there was no one to throw to, but I can't think of anything else to account for this. Brock usually finds the open man.

That was the problem, I was there and didn't see many open men. That defense for SHSU was extremely good and the best NDSU has faced this year.

I am very concerned about the WR position next year. We need some playmakers as the one we have is graduating (by the way, Warren had some huge, under the radar plays on blocks, etc.) and the other is small, more of a slot receiver, and keeps getting nicked up. I assume Vraa and Gebhart will be back, but man, we need them healthy and new depth behind them. I think another Warren quality receiver would have been huge in this game for Brock.

Bison"FANatic"
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Ya the first few series it looked great but then they adjusted and we didn't adjust back. I think they might have started stunting and blitzing more but have not got to go back and look. They were making DJ and Sam make a choice on who they were going to pick up though if I remember right. SHSU secondary was like glue and could be left on a island. It worked great on the screen for the TD though as our Wr's and TE cleared the area and were not part of the play until all the way down to the goal line.

semobison
01-11-2012, 01:48 PM
I dont think Brock looked the same after getting dinged up and sitting out for a play. He had one of those "OH NO...thank got it fell incomplete" throws to Moody in the 3rd quarter!

Thunder_Struck
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Does anyone have Brock's stat line before sitting out the 1 play and after coming back in?

Professor Chaos
01-11-2012, 01:59 PM

I know exactly the play you're talking about. It really stuck out watching the replay as I didn't really notice it in person. I went back and looked and it was at and the play started at the 1:17 mark in the 2nd quarter. The game was tied at 3 and SHSU was siezing the momentum but it was a 3rd and 8. Bell threw a hitch to Torrance Williams in the left slot and he spun away from Heagle which tripped up a charging Dudzik in the process leaving no defensive support outside the numbers on the left side of the field. Littlejohn streaked over from his OLB position to make a shoestring tackle after a 17 yard gain.

They said on the telecast that Torrance Williams was Sam's fastest player (even faster than Sincere). He's one of those guys that, as John Madden would say, if "he's even he's leavin" and once he was at full speed we wouldn't have caught him. Take away that play by Littlejohn and it's 10-3 going into the break with all the momentum on the dark side. It was a very impressive and mostly unnoticed play by Littlejohn. It really showcased his speed.

Btw, how awesome is it that we don't have to hear about east coast or southern speed anymore or how NDSU just looks big, white, and slow from the Socon/CAA homers?

tony
01-11-2012, 02:10 PM
I dont think Brock looked the same after getting dinged up and sitting out for a play. He had one of those "OH NO...thank got it fell incomplete" throws to Moody in the 3rd quarter!

That play had me wondering if pass interference was still a penalty or not. :)

Scary pass though.

Civil06
01-11-2012, 02:20 PM
Does anyone have Brock's stat line before sitting out the 1 play and after coming back in?

He wasn't the same at all and spent a lot of time wincing in pain and getting icy hot on his left hip/back from the trainers. His passes were a step behind the receivers the rest of the day, which really crippled the offense. I'm still glad his leadership was on the field, just gutting it out. He looked miserable until the final horn blew, he pointed both arms to the sky, and got to celebrate with his teammates...

heffray
01-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Ya the first few series it looked great but then they adjusted and we didn't adjust back. I think they might have started stunting and blitzing more but have not got to go back and look. They were making DJ and Sam make a choice on who they were going to pick up though if I remember right. SHSU secondary was like glue and could be left on a island. It worked great on the screen for the TD though as our Wr's and TE cleared the area and were not part of the play until all the way down to the goal line.

I was wondering too why we didn't try the screen more often, it seemed like it was the only play that was open for us, the only play that was working.

IndyBison
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
It goes back to Indy's point of a couple of months ago regarding inadvertent whistles. The ref had blown the whistle so it could not be reviewed, in the replay you can hear the whistle before the ball gets ripped out. I don't know if the replay booth has audio but I am fairly certain that once a whistle is blown whatever happens after is non reviewable.
This was not an inadvertent whistle. The officials ruled his forward progress had stopped which causes the ball to become dead. The whistle only lets everyone know that's what he ruled. Based on the replay I saw that was absolutely the right call in this situation. The play was dead when the ball was stripped. There was nothing on this play that was reviewable.

phxbison
01-11-2012, 04:17 PM
SHSU's defense was awesome - it would be very interesting to be in a room with NDSU's offensive coaches when they break down that film.

SHSU's QB Bell had an awful day passing the ball too - just about every pass SHSU threw (except those that they deliberately launched into the sidelines) was a legitimate interception chance for NDSU, including two INTs that were flat out dropped.

Both defenses really stepped up.

Both defenses were outstanding and were having their way with the other teams offensive line. I also cringed (sp?) on a couple of passes that Brock threw where our receivers were tightly covered and the ball was close to being picked off. SHSU was exceptional on the defensive side of the ball. The whole difference in the game was one big offensive play ( the screen pass to DJ), one defensive play (the interception by Beck) and one special teams play by Voightlander. These two teams were very evenly matched.

phxbison
01-11-2012, 04:23 PM
3 big plays actually dictated the outcome of this game: fake punt, bubble screen and Beck interception and return. But for those, we r down 6-3.

This makes me laugh ! I was reading this thread from back to front and just posted the exact same thing on Tony's post without seeing yours.