PDA

View Full Version : The Best Defense in Bison History!!

Des Moines Bison Fan
01-07-2012, 08:18 PM
They are unbelievable. They just held the #1 scoring team in the FCS to 6 points........yes 6 points. NDSU....FCS National Champions!!!

matt
01-07-2012, 08:37 PM
They are unbelievable. They just held the #1 scoring team in the FCS to 6 points........yes 6 points. NDSU....FCS National Champions!!!

and No touchdowns! impressive effort by the D!

tony
01-07-2012, 08:41 PM
That might have been the best defense in FCS playoff history... 27 TOTAL POINTS IN FOUR PLAYOFF GAMES? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

Hambone
01-07-2012, 08:49 PM
That might have been the best defense in FCS playoff history... 27 TOTAL POINTS IN FOUR PLAYOFF GAMES? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

Considering the last three teams were considered offensive juggernauts, that makes it more impressive. Defense does win championships....

SafeTeeJ
01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
yep. them and the 1986 defense!!!

semobison
01-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Gave up 13 points in the final 3 games! Out friggin standing!

CaBisonFan
01-07-2012, 08:57 PM
One of the best.

TateMosersneighbor
01-07-2012, 09:07 PM
By far the best defense in NDSU history. They were #22 in college football coming into the game and will be a top 20 defense in all of college football after all the bowl games are done.

1986 defense was good...great, and certainly no offense, but they couldn't have held Sam Houston to 6 points. Different time folks...this is the best defense in NDSU history and it's not even close.

NWNDBison
01-07-2012, 09:11 PM
That might have been the best defense in FCS playoff history... 27 TOTAL POINTS IN FOUR PLAYOFF GAMES? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?No, we are not freakin' kidding you, it's the truth. 'Go,Bison!"

Bisonguy
01-07-2012, 09:11 PM

Delaware only gave up 23 total points in 4 playoff games for their championship in 2003, although I don't believe they faced as highly ranked offensive teams.

CaBisonFan
01-07-2012, 09:14 PM
By far the best defense in NDSU history. They were #22 in college football coming into the game and will be a top 20 defense in all of college football after all the bowl games are done.

1986 defense was good...great, and certainly no offense, but they couldn't have held Sam Houston to 6 points. Different time folks...this is the best defense in NDSU history and it's not even close.

Not comparable. We've had great defenses many times. Not comparable...as in...not comparable. They can't be compared.

More importantly...they shouldn't be.

We watched 'a' GREAT defense today...and one of the truly great defensive games in Bison history.

TateMosersneighbor
01-07-2012, 09:17 PM
We beat 4 of the top 6 ranked FCS programs in 2011 and win the NC...absolutely no question this is the best defense in the history of NDSU.

I think it's the best team in NDSU history.

CaBisonFan
01-07-2012, 09:18 PM
We beat 4 of the top 6 ranked FCS programs in 2011 and win the NC...absolutely no question this is the best defense in the history of NDSU.

I think it's the best team in NDSU history.

Absolutely no question that this was one of the best defenses in Bison history. Incredible game today.

SafeTeeJ
01-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Absolutely no question that this was one of the best defenses in Bison history. Incredible game today.

^

Love this! He he he

SafeTeeJ
01-07-2012, 09:47 PM
In the day..the 1986 D would have dominated most D-1AA teams playing.

Just saying......

semobison
01-07-2012, 09:50 PM
No need for comparison! Enjoy the moment!

Bison_Pride
01-07-2012, 10:00 PM
Those past Championship teams were insane too. They were a part of the championship today. They set the standard this team had to live up to.

CAS4127
01-10-2012, 05:12 AM
This is a topic I have been thinking about for several weeks now. Worthy of discussion. I am willing to give my thoughts if peeps are interested. For now I will say the 86 D and this D are very comparable. For now, I will say I think this Dline was better than the 86 Dline. The rest of the D players from both teams were very good, but had some different qualities. Gotta wit til I am on a computer to elaborate. But what this D did in the PO's made me very proud to be a former D player.

344Johnson
01-10-2012, 05:27 AM
This is a topic I have been thinking about for several weeks now. Worthy of discussion. I am willing to give my thoughts if peeps are interested. For now I will say the 86 D and this D are very comparable. For now, I will say I think this Dline was better than the 86 Dline. The rest of the D players from both teams were very good, but had some different qualities. Gotta wit til I am on a computer to elaborate. But what this D did in the PO's made me very proud to be a former D player.

Elaborate when you get the chance. I enjoy CAS-opinions. Usually make sense...the exception being the discussion of Heagle sometimes playing as a FS or SS. That went over my head.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 05:27 AM

CAS...what if you guys had had the benefit of today's training?

IMO...the 86 D was amazing...but I also point further back to the Erhardt/Mudra team that really put it to Grambling...a team loaded with future NFL stars. Those were some m.....f..... stout teams in the mid to late 60s. That era (including the 70s) doesn't have the benefit of having videos that we can watch. Maybe we'd be disappointed...but as a kid I watched those teams in person many times. My sister went to SU when I was in elementary school, and she introduced me to Bison Football when those guys were coaching. That is where the hard-nosed Bison D was born. It's the time when visiting teams started to dread coming to Fargo. Was there a DI-AA then? Seems like we had some pretty amazing athletes on the field then too.

Don't get me wrong folks...I am as big a fan of our recent teams as anyone. I can't believe how good the defense has become. Just think if we had a great offense to match it.

Strommer10
01-10-2012, 05:28 AM
Allowing 4.33 points per game in the final 3 games is remarkable. The offenses that we faced in that stretch were supposed to be unstoppable. Think about the point total each team had before they played us, and then look what this defense did to them:

Lehigh: 40 vs Towson/ 0 vs Bison
GSU: 55 vs ODU, 35 vs Maine/ 7 vs Bison
SHSU: 34 vs SB, 49 vs MSU, 31 vs UM/ 6 vs Bison

These opponents were averaging a combined 40.6 ppg in the playoffs. While the BEST DEFENSE IN THE COUNTRY held them to 4.33 ppg. Hats off to Scottie, the entire defensive staff, & of course the players. Heck of a job done by everyone!

ndsubison1
01-10-2012, 05:34 AM
probably. 2006 was amazing too

unbison
01-10-2012, 01:34 PM
how can you say this is not the best hands down defense to play for ndsu? This defense hands down shut people down in the playoffs at the highest level NDSU has ever played at! national champs allowing less then a touchdown a game in its 4 playoff games

HerdBot
01-10-2012, 01:53 PM
This is not only the best defense in NDSU history , probably in FCS history . 27 playoff points. #1 in the nation .We have size, speed, depth, and are very well coached. Hazelton is incredible and the assistant coaches are the best. Klieman has taken the secondary to a higher level. AJ cooper has developed a 4-5 deep rotation and so has Goesler . Then you have John Richardson learning from the best. I hope these guys get a pay raise. They all deserve it. Note they did make an extra 5 grand each which is awesome.

Bison Dan
01-10-2012, 01:55 PM
how can you say this is not the best hands down defense to play for ndsu? This defense hands down shut people down in the playoffs at the highest level NDSU has ever played at! national champs allowing less then a touchdown a game in its 4 playoff games

Agree - this Bison team has the best athletes, played against the best competition and dominated them.

Scooter1
01-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I hope there is a thread next season titled "No, THIS is the Best Defense in Bison History"

A big thanks to the former Bison players (and other Alumni) that helped make this possible.

Without your guidence and financial support, this team wouldn't exist.

As a Bison fan, I say thanks.

tony
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
This is not only the best defense in NDSU history , probably in FCS history . 27 playoff points. #1 in the nation .We have size, speed, depth, and are very well coached. Hazelton is incredible and the assistant coaches are the best. Klieman has taken the secondary to a higher level. AJ cooper has developed a 4-5 deep rotation and so has Goesler . Then you have John Richardson learning from the best. I hope these guys get a pay raise. They all deserve it. Note they did make an extra 5 grand each which is awesome.

Bisonguy pointed out Delaware's 2003 defense. They allowed only 23 points for the entire playoffs (they played Southern Illinois, Northern Iowa, Wofford, and Colgate.) What's more impressive is that they gave up only 831 yards in the playoffs (3.46 yards per play.) NDSU gave up 1200 yards (4.18 yards per play.)

Delaware set the bar for playoff defenses and, honestly, I'm glad that NDSU has something to shoot for. :)

It's much easier to get to the top than it is to stay at the top.

semobison
01-10-2012, 03:17 PM
Its hard to compare teams from decades ago to todays teams! Todays competition is tougher and athletes are getting bigger and faster. So, those who say this years defense was the best ever, Im not going to disagee. We had a great defense and they played their best at the end of the season when it counted. We rode the D to the championship. NDSU has always put great defenses on the field. Statisticly 1986 was unbelievable! In 13 games they gave up 6.7 ppg. 4 teams managed to reach double digets and 13 was the most points given up in a game all season! On top of that the offense averaged 41.4 ppg. Statisticly the most dominating season on record! It was a different game back then though! It was, like this year, a season to remember!

DORMIE
01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
We've always taken pride in our defense. Not sure if one was any better than another. The 1965 National Championship team went 10-0 in the regular season. After a 59-20 win in the first game, they gave up 60 in the next 9 games and ended up 363-80. They beat Grambling 21-7 in the Pecan Bowl They held them to 106 total yards. Their score was on a 93 yard kickoff return to open the second half.

CAS4127
01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
I was gonna do a 1986 position/player vs. 2011 position/player comparison, but, you know what, it doesn't matter. Both of these D's were outstanding, as were the several others mentioned. What makes this D standout more is that they actually/effectively won games for us this year, as our offense struggled more than I care to remember.

One thing I can say with certainty is that this D had way more quality depth than did the 86 D, but that is not surprising given the scholly difference. That said, there were many on the 86 D who would have started on this D, and many on this D who would have started on the 86 D.

CaBisonFan
01-10-2012, 06:45 PM
We've always taken pride in our defense. Not sure if one was any better than another. The 1965 National Championship team went 10-0 in the regular season. After a 59-20 win in the first game, they gave up 60 in the next 9 games and ended up 363-80. They beat Grambling 21-7 in the Pecan Bowl They held them to 106 total yards. Their score was on a 93 yard kickoff return to open the second half.

Thanks for the stats dormie!! 1965's team has an argument for the best defense ever. Grambling sent many of their players to the NFL...and some of them went on to be pro bowl players...maybe even a couple of HOF members. In that era, Grambling was a force in all of college football...regardless of their division. One could argue that Grambling had more NFL talent than we saw in the BCS championship last night...both teams combined.

Fightin' Bison
01-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the stats dormie!! 1965's team has an argument for the best defense ever. Grambling sent many of their players to the NFL...and some of them went on to be pro bowl players...maybe even a couple of HOF members. In that era, Grambling was a force in all of college football...regardless of their division. One could argue that Grambling had more NFL talent than we saw in the BCS championship last night...both teams combined.

I believe that the '65 Grambling team had Charlie Joiner (of SD Chargers fame) on it, and no one else that I recognized. http://www.fanbase.com/Grambling-State-Tigers-Football-1965/roster

56BISON73
01-10-2012, 07:12 PM
I believe that the '65 Grambling team had Charlie Joiner (of SD Chargers fame) on it, and no one else that I recognized. http://www.fanbase.com/Grambling-State-Tigers-Football-1965/roster

Everyone one on that list went to the NFL.

344Johnson
01-10-2012, 07:27 PM
I was gonna do a 1986 position/player vs. 2011 position/player comparison, but, you know what, it doesn't matter. Both of these D's were outstanding, as were the several others mentioned. What makes this D standout more is that they actually/effectively won games for us this year, as our offense struggled more than I care to remember.

One thing I can say with certainty is that this D had way more quality depth than did the 86 D, but that is not surprising given the scholly difference. That said, there were many on the 86 D who would have started on this D, and many on this D who would have started on the 86 D.

Do it. At the very least we will have something to discuss for a bit and I think it could be fun for the older guys to speculate.

ndsubison1
01-10-2012, 09:27 PM
how do you older guys compare braxton after two seasons compared to williams?

CAS4127
01-10-2012, 09:31 PM
how do you older guys compare braxton after two seasons compared to williams?

Overall, Williams might be a bit ahead of Tyrone when Tyrone was a sophomore. I think Tyrone was faster than Williams and likely had a bit more overall athletic ability. Both are/were great corners and returnmen.

I think we can call the 86 v. 2011 shutdown corner comparision pretty much a wash.

Who should we compare next??!!

X-Factor
01-10-2012, 10:25 PM
I hope there is a thread next season titled "No, THIS is the Best Defense in Bison History"

A big thanks to the former Bison players (and other Alumni) that helped make this possible.

Without your guidence and financial support, this team wouldn't exist.

As a Bison fan, I say thanks.

I'm on board with your crystal ball

344Johnson
01-11-2012, 01:16 AM
Overall, Williams might be a bit ahead of Tyrone when Tyrone was a sophomore. I think Tyrone was faster than Williams and likely had a bit more overall athletic ability. Both are/were great corners and returnmen.

I think we can call the 86 v. 2011 shutdown corner comparision pretty much a wash.

Whole defense. Do it.

ndsubison1
01-11-2012, 01:18 AM

that would be a fun comparison and interesitng to read if youre up to the task

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 01:26 AM
Where should we go next? ILB? 86 was Jim Dick's SR year. ????

Notorious
01-11-2012, 01:27 AM
Where should we go next? ILB? 86 was Jim Dick's SR year. ????

He would've been tough in any era....

td577
01-11-2012, 01:38 AM
I think it is impossible to compare across generations. While training as drastically improved over the past 30 years, the comparison would have to be done with context to its opponents and time period. Relative to their time, each of the defenses mentioned were dominate in their own right.

Another question I came up with today is if SHSU would have won the NC, would they be considered one of the best FCS (1AA) teams in history? How would they have historically matched up with some of the other great FCS teams in the discussion of best ever? How much can 11 points really mean in the sense of history? Or three points if you are Bama.

OBDB
01-11-2012, 02:33 AM
Yes, difficult to compare across the years.

Opposing offenses feared the '86 D. Lots of guys that had started for 3 years and that makes a big difference. CAS can attest to a great story -- Bison go to Northern Colorado to face a good team with supposed high powered throwing offense (QB Loren Snyder signed with Dallas Cowboys the next spring). Bison defer and kick off. UNC runs the ball into the line 2 times. Before the 3rd down play, Bison LBs are yelling at the QB to throw the ball. Instead, they run it into the line again for no gain. Punt. Bison "O" drives the ball for a score. Second series -- entire Bison defense challenging UNC to throw the ball on each play. Same scenario as the first series -- three straight runs for no gain. Flat out scared. Punt. Bison "O" drives for another score. UNC puts their tails between their legs until the Bison second defense is put in then they start to throw and move downfield. Bison first team defense is furious on sideline and when UNC gets to first and goal, they convince Rocky to put them back into the game. UNC does score on third down, however the Bison D lets them know in no uncertain terms that their manhood has not been restored. Just a story worthy of being passed down...

The 2011 defense should be held in high regard -- they are the overall biggest, strongest, fastest so far. Hopefully, they will continue to set the tone and expectations for the freshman and future Bison. My bet is that the 2013 Bison defense may be one that is feared.

CAS4127
01-11-2012, 03:25 AM
Don't know who OBDB is, but he described the UNC game to a T. As we (the starting D) head back onto the field, Snyder says to us: "Oh, bringing the big boys in again huh??!!" They scored, but paid for it.

I agree that th '11 D overall, meaning backups too, is bigger, faster and stronger than 86, but not when just starters are considered. More to follow as this thread progresses.

344Johnson
01-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Don't know who OBDB is, but he described the UNC game to a T. As we (the starting D) head back onto the field, Snyder says to us: "Oh, bringing the big boys in again huh??!!" They scored, but paid for it.

I agree that th '11 D overall, meaning backups too, is bigger, faster and stronger than 86, but not when just starters are considered. More to follow as this thread progresses.

I would like to hear if our defense has any of those types of stories. Talking $hit to the other team and daring them to move the ball. We had some teams do that to us in high school, and it really makes you feel awful when you know that they know that you aren't going to move the ball.

kbswish22
01-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Massey's computer rankings have the Bison ranked 12th on defense, in the entire country. Ahead of every Big ten team except Penn St and Mich State. 4 spots ahead of SEC East champ Georgia. Plus both the FG's in the SHSU game came when they had starting field position on our side of the 50.I'd say probably best FCS defense ever, until next year :)