PDA

View Full Version : New outdoor stadium concept drawing

TheBisonator
03-21-2007, 12:24 AM
I recently spent some time drawing a plan for a 23,000-seat outdoor stadium for NDSU on the current site of the abandoned football fields just south of Alien Technologies. This stadium would have 26 luxury skyboxes, seating for around 23,000, and 1,000 club seats. I'm currently working on some elevations right now, and this is just a plan. North points to the right on the first pic. 18th Street would run along behind the main East grandstand. The East grandstand would have seating for around 12,000, the West grandstand would have seating for around 6,500, and the two endzone grandstands would each have seating for around 2,500. Students would take up the south 5 sections of the West grandstand, and the west 3 sections of the South bleachers. The Teammakers Thunderzone would take up the rest of the West grandstand. The East grandstand, like in the dome, would probably be mostly for old fogeys and the living dead (although this may not be the case anymore in an outdoor environment). There would be two scoreboards, one on each end, that would be as big and nice as SDSU's new scoreboard.

The .jpg versions are not nearly as colourful as the bitmap versions. Unfortunately, the bitmap versions would not take very well on the image hosts I tried.

Here's the view with North on the right side:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8246/stadium2vz7.jpg

Here's a view of it flipped around 180 degrees:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/1309/stadium2aej1.jpg

Like I said, I'm still working on elevations. What do you think so far??

Chip
03-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Why not a full bowl?

TheBisonator
03-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Why not a full bowl?

I'm not a fan of full bowls for college football. Never have been. A perfect college football facility in my mind is one like Iowa State or Clemson's stadium with two main sides, or like the Fargodome with 4 sides. In my opinion, some of the outside setting needs to permeate inside the stadium to create the full Saturday afternoon effect.

Chip
03-21-2007, 12:39 AM
The Notre Dame and Michigan have bowled stadiums. Those aren't perfect college facilites? What about a horse shoe stadium??

Gamehunter
03-21-2007, 12:45 AM
looks good to me. Now ya just need to show Craig Bohl and Co. + teammakers ;D

23k seems a like a good number to reach for, but we should have an even better idea in 2008 with a full Gateway schedule and playoffs if that would be enough or to much for future developement.

ps. Make it expandable!

any ideas what Wyoming's casa seats? The pics look strikingly similar...

No_Skill
03-21-2007, 12:47 AM
Why not a full bowl?

I'm not a fan of full bowls for college football. Never have been. A perfect college football facility in my mind is one like Iowa State or Clemson's stadium with two main sides, or like the Fargodome with 4 sides. In my opinion, some of the outside setting needs to permeate inside the stadium to create the full Saturday afternoon effect.

Like what the airport and hundreds of miles of flat river flood plain?

WePharm
03-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Nice plan, I just hope it's someplace else. I'm not driving 400 miles the middle of November to freeze my tuckus. I love the FFD!!!

Jdubs21
03-21-2007, 02:14 AM
i hope this is all a joke....i dont mind the dome at all jsut needs better lighting lol

GoBears
03-21-2007, 02:15 AM
looks good to me. *Now ya just need to show Craig Bohl and Co. *+ teammakers ;D

23k seems a like a good number to reach for, but we should have an even better idea in 2008 with a full Gateway schedule and playoffs if that would be enough or to much for future developement.

ps. Make it expandable!

any ideas what Wyoming's casa seats? *The pics look strikingly similar...

Wyomings War Memorial Stadium seats 30,000 I think

TheDoctor
03-21-2007, 05:13 AM
Nice plan, I just hope it's someplace else. I'm not driving 400 miles the middle of November to freeze my tuckus. I love the FFD!!!

++++++++++ ;) Dome only!!!!!!!!

2006gwfcchamps
03-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Hate to be a party pooper, but the site south of Alien is for sure a no go because of the FAA.

Otherwise, looks cool.

One thing I would change: have only one endzone grandstand with the same capacity as both of those endzones combined and then make the other endzone a football facility (locker rooms, offices, weight room, etc).

sambini
04-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Nice idea Bisonnator.

TheDoctor
04-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Nice idea Bisonnator.

I may be "new school" but I like us playing on the turf in the dome. ;)

sambini
04-08-2007, 11:50 PM
I don't see this happening for a lot of years?