PDA

View Full Version : CNN Misleading Quote

NWNDBison
01-02-2012, 02:49 PM
It's nice whenever the national media recognizes NDSU athletics. But I was disappointed when Terence Moore wrote an opinion article for CNN making his point that the BCS Bowl system is just fine and that a playoff system would not be a good idea. I'm not interested in arguing that point, but this is how he referenced NDSU:

"I also know they have a playoff system for the lower levels of college football. The one for the Football Championship Subdivision (formerly Division 1-AA) began November 26, and it will end with the championship game January 7. ...

... Oh, and home attendance in the playoffs for teams at those lower levels is frequently lower than their regular-season games. Such was the case last season for traditional FCS powers Delaware and Appalachian State, and such is the case this year for North Dakota State, according to its sports information department."

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/30/opinion/moore-football-playoff/index.html?hpt=op_bn4

I don't know whether he called NDSU Sports Information or not. Actually, he is technically correct. But there are far better examples of playoff attendance drop off than NDSU.

I have never replied to a CNN article before, but this guy needs to be set straight. I registered for a login, confirmed it through e-mail. I can comment on other articles in other sections of CNN, but cannot figure out how to make a comment on this article. Maybe some of you have experience in this area.

Here is the research from go bison.com stat sheets Too much, I suppose for a CNN comment, but this is what I would like to tell Mr. Terence Moore (I suppose we should be flattered he picked NDSU):

North Dakota State University #10 in FCS attendance

9 games total attendance 163284
97.02% of stadium capacity
Ave. Attendance 18143
Sum Stadium capacity 168300
Only 5016 people needed for 9 game sellout including playoffs.
Ave. of 557 seats available per game

Attendance by game: (18700 stadium capacity)

Regular Season: (18272 ave. attendance over 6 games)
Lafayette 17023
St. Francis 18341
Illinois State 18904
Missouri State 18029
Northern Iowa 18886
Youngstown State 18450

Playoffs: (17884 ave. attendance over 3 games)
James Madison 17432
Lehigh 18111
Georgia Southern 18108

Boy, that's a HUGE drop off (yeah, right!) 388/game. Because of playoff frenzy and because the stadium was so close to capacity, there were inexplicable errors made in the distribution of tickets the last two playoff games.

The Georgia Southern game in particular was announced as a sellout days before the game was played. Standing room only tickets were sold out. Hundreds of people gave up on getting tickets and did not go to the game because tickets were not available. Fans are mystified at the low attendance. What happened to the tickets? Hoarding? There was a bit of scalping going on.

There are good examples out there of FCS playoff teams whose attendance slumped during the playoffs, but North Dakota State is NOT a prime example.

Also note that the National Championship Game on Jan. 7 at FC Dallas Stadium (formerly Pizza Hut Stadium) has been sold out since Dec. 21. (Cap. 20086). Both SHSU and NDSU have announced that thousands more tickets could have been sold for each school, but they simply are not available. To be fair, last year's title game in the same stadium drew only 13027, which I suppose is why a larger venue has not been selected--yet.

Source: gobison.com official website of the NDSU Bison. Statistics gleaned from official game stats sheets.
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SPID=695&SPSID=11844

Also, NCAA attendance statistics: http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

BisonTeacher
01-02-2012, 03:06 PM
Good research. I actually posted the CNN article a few days ago, but Im glad you followed up with the numbers.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?25756-FCS-Championship-vs-FBS-Bowl-Game./page5

3Putt
01-02-2012, 03:15 PM
I thought I saw somewhere that the method for reporting attendance differs between regular season and playoff games. Am I dreaming or is there something to this?

tjbison
01-02-2012, 03:17 PM
I thought I saw somewhere that the method for reporting attendance differs between regular season and playoff games. Am I dreaming or is there something to this?

yes, I know there were more the 18,100 at the GSU game, pretty sure they fudge the numbers as they have to pay the NCAA a percentage, of course i have zero proof to back this up but come on you tell e that GSU game wasnt the most attended and virtually EVERY seat had a butt in it and the SRO tickets were sold

Herd
01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
The GSU game had people hanging from the rafters, but I knew that attendance would be 18000-18200. You know that announced attendence would have been 19000 if not an ncaa game. I wonder how the band plays into it.

HerdBot
01-02-2012, 05:35 PM
1 week notice . No students. Game during graduation. Yet they are still within a few hundred seats. More importantly they gross more as the prices are higher .Idiotic point

Bison 4 Life
01-02-2012, 06:12 PM
I for one find the idea that Alabama is somehow more academically rigorous than any FCS playoff school completely laughable.

NDSUstudent
01-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Attendance is counted differently in the playoffs, there are a number of threads that talk about it.

mnriverbison
01-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I'm glad that people are addressing this urgent issue.

CaBisonFan
01-02-2012, 09:04 PM
We just have to keep piss-pounding people...including FBS opponents...win a few national titles...and the respect will grow. But to get the kind of respect that's being discussed here...FBS for us...someday. The potential has been here for decades.

If people don't want that kind of respect...then just keep doing what we're doing. We're not on a huge national stage...not even this weekend. No need to discuss whether we should move up or not...because it's been done too much.

It's just how I see it. Depends on what we want.

Bisonwinagn
01-02-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't see a problem with the article if he's trying to make a point and is factually correct. Yes there are better examples, but he is making his point based on the best teams in order to support it. I think it shows were the program is at to be included with Deleware and App St.

NWNDBison
01-03-2012, 02:29 AM
I don't see a problem with the article if he's trying to make a point and is factually correct. Yes there are better examples, but he is making his point based on the best teams in order to support it. I think it shows were the program is at to be included with Deleware and App St.

I could agree with you, except for one thing: the dropoff we encountered is so minimal as to not make his point at all.

lakesbozo
01-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Cabison absolutely, no one in minneapolis, let alone ny care about fcs. Im with ya, keep the dream alive ala boise state

steelbison
01-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Cabison absolutely, no one in minneapolis, let alone ny care about fcs. Im with ya, keep the dream alive ala boise state

OK Lakes...how many aliases do you have?? Let's not get into this discussion again!!!! See you in Frisco!!

Bison 4 Life
01-03-2012, 03:23 PM
OK Lakes...how many aliases do you have?? Let's not get into this discussion again!!!! See you in Frisco!!

At least he got the username right.

bisonmike2
01-03-2012, 03:54 PM

He's like Agent Smith in the matrix. He's just going to keep creating alts and more alts until he's the only one on Bisonville and he'll be arguing with himself.

Civil06
01-03-2012, 03:57 PM
He's like Agent Smith in the matrix. He's just going to keep creating alts and more alts until he's the only one on Bisonville and he'll be arguing with himself.

http://chrispetersen25.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/keanu-reeves-whoa.jpg?w=300&h=223