PDA

View Full Version : SHSU's Defense

CAS4127
12-26-2011, 05:15 PM
What do they run for a front? What is their default coverage scheme? Are their LB's big and or athleti? Do they run well? Any big hitters in the secondary? Have they seen our style of offense yet? Have they faced a big, athletic offensive line? Is it possible they may switch up their base D to throw in added wrinkles for us? Is Vigen up to the task of breaking them down and figuring out weaknesses/tendancies/attacking points?

Looking forward to learning as much as possible before Frisco. Keep smack elsewhere-->let's educate ourselves BV.

ndsubison1
12-26-2011, 06:07 PM
For what it's worth Montana's coach said he thought SHSU's defense was faster than Tennessee's.

They have a very good safety in Darnell Taylor, he was the Southland Defensive Player of the year. He leads the team with 118 total tackles and 81 solo. Their rush defense is number 1 in FCS. 74th in pass defense and 2nd (behind us) in scoring defense. Their corner Dax Swanson has 8 picks. I believe they run a 4-3 if I remember from watching the Montana game

CAS4127
12-26-2011, 06:14 PM
For what it's worth Montana's coach said he thought SHSU's defense was faster than Tennessee's.

They have a very good safety in Darnell Taylor, he was the Southland Defensive Player of the year. He leads the team with 118 total tackles and 81 solo. Their rush defense is number 1 in FCS. 74th in pass defense and 2nd (behind us) in scoring defense. Their corner Dax Swanson has 8 picks. I believe they run a 4-3 if I remember from watching the Montana game

ming: What are their jersey numbers if you can provide them?? Does Taylor play SS or FS.

Concerning their rushing D stat, is the Southland a predominantly pass or run conference, or a bit of both?

ndsubison1
12-26-2011, 06:26 PM
ming: What are their jersey numbers if you can provide them?? Does Taylor play SS or FS.

Concerning their rushing D stat, is the Southland a predominantly pass or run conference, or a bit of both?

taylor is # 38 and swanson is 7. southland is more of a passing league. but we all know shsu is more of a rushing team, but they're very balanced.

BisonNeil
12-26-2011, 06:34 PM
I noticed several things about the Sam defense when they played Montana State and Montana.

They are indeed, very fast.

They are also very aggressive. In the first quarter against Montana it was not unusual to see the entire front seven attacking the line of scrimmage. Montana keep on trying to run off tackle and got nowhere. It took an entire quarter before the OC started to attack between the tackles.

I also think they have a tendency to over pursue. Their DEs, especially Weaver, frequently went with the flow of the backfield, and left them very susceptible to misdirection in the second half.

Taylor, #38, is a beast. He was ALL over the field.

I think the Bison need to hit them between the tackles, use screens, and some misdirection in order to move the ball on them. There is no question that Sam has the most impressive defense I have seen this year, except for the Bison of course :)

HandoEX
12-26-2011, 07:28 PM
It would be great to score quickly on SHSU...they've given up only 13 points in the first quarter of their first 14 games!

HerdBot
12-26-2011, 08:07 PM
Small dline but quick . quick linebackers. tall corners. should run many screens to DJ. if we can get up early we will wear them down as they are light . Good game to run misdirection, end around, and reverses.

HandoEX
12-26-2011, 08:13 PM
14.8 points against per game (NDSU: 13.2)
70 rushing yards per game (NDSU: 120)
8 rushing touchdowns (NDSU: 9)
213 passing yards per game (NDSU: 203)
15 passing touchdowns (NDSU: 14)
22 interceptions(NDSU: 19)
283 yards against per game (NDSU: 323)
3rd down conversions against: 30% (NDSU: 38%)
4th down conversions against: 50% (NDSU: 43%)
touchdowns against: 26 (NDSU: 23)
red zone scores: 72% (NDSU: 70%)
red zone touchdowns: 50% (NDSU: 49%)

katstrapper
12-26-2011, 08:25 PM
Kats run a 4-2-5 base defense. They are very athletic and tackle well. They always seem to be around the ball. It is true that they do overpursue at times, but havent been burned for too many long plays on reverses, screens, etc...... They run very well from sideline to sideline. It is hard to get around the edge. But, dont be fooled that this defense can play smash mouth football. If NDSU wants to run between the tackles, Coach Stoker will pack the box and bring the heat. Our two LB's Kash David (#47) and Darius Taylor (#36) will hit you and hit you some more. Our Weakside linebackers are fast, Wil Henry (#21) and Eric Fielo (#51). They are constantly in the backfield causing trouble. Fielo has had two great games against MSU and Montana.

The biggest thing with Coach Stoker and this defense is he will try and make you one dimensional. Kats will crowd the line, play man to man on the outside and bring the heat.

CAS4127
12-26-2011, 08:31 PM
Kats run a 4-2-5 base defense. They are very athletic and tackle well. They always seem to be around the ball. It is true that they do overpursue at times, but havent been burned for too many long plays on reverses, screens, etc...... They run very well from sideline to sideline. It is hard to get around the edge. But, dont be fooled that this defense can play smash mouth football. If NDSU wants to run between the tackles, Coach Stoker will pack the box and bring the heat. Our two LB's Kash David (#47) and Darius Taylor (#36) will hit you and hit you some more. Our Weakside linebackers are fast, Wil Henry (#21) and Eric Fielo (#51). They are constantly in the backfield causing trouble. Fielo has had two great games against MSU and Montana.

The biggest thing with Coach Stoker and this defense is he will try and make you one dimensional. Kats will crowd the line, play man to man on the outside and bring the heat.

Not following you here. You seem to be referencing David and Taylor as your 2 inside LB's. Where do the weakside LB's come from in a 4-2-5 base D. Not ripping you, just wondering. Do you use a SS as somewhat of a strongsid OLB and a SS/Monsterback player on the weakside, that are also used heavily in flat coverage on passes??

ndsubison1
12-26-2011, 08:59 PM
im sure they use darnell taylor as a rover type

katstrapper
12-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Not following you here. You seem to be referencing David and Taylor as your 2 inside LB's. Where do the weakside LB's come from in a 4-2-5 base D. Not ripping you, just wondering. Do you use a SS as somewhat of a strongsid OLB and a SS/Monsterback player on the weakside, that are also used heavily in flat coverage on passes??

Sorry , I will clarify more.4-2-5 is the base defense, but Stoker will throw other formations out there. I have seen 4-3 and even a 4-1-6. Henry and Fielo are the faster of the four LB's that will play. David and Taylor will play mostly inside the tackles. They are much bigger LB's. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with the rotations. To answer your question, yes they will drop the SS into a LB spot and move the LB into a rush end postion.

I will tell you though,at times this defense reminds me a lot of the old 46 defense that Buddy Ryan was notorius for if that makes sense. This defense will flat get after you. Now I am not going to say they dont have their weaknesses because they do. They will tend to overpursue and get too aggressive, but they are pretty solid more times than not. Its just the way Stoker has the defense schemed. They always seems to be someone around the ball. Very good ballhawk defense.

The D Line is not huge, but they get great pressure up the field and can create a lot of turmol within the tackles.

katstrapper
12-26-2011, 09:30 PM
im sure they use darnell taylor as a rover type

Darnell will play free safety and strong safety. His twin brother is one of the starting LB's

katstrapper
12-29-2011, 03:58 PM

The conference is a bit of both I would say.

SFA, SE La, Lamar run predominantly pass happy offenses. SFA was all pass with 4 and 5 receivers the whole game.

UCA, McNeese St, Nicholls St and NW State were pretty balanced teams.

And of course SHSU was predominantly run offense. Tx State was a run first offense with Franchione as head coach.

westnodak93bison
01-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I've watched all three of the SHSU playoff games on espn3. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe they ever rotated in fresh players on defense.

westnodak93bison
01-02-2012, 12:16 AM
looks like #66 and #99 got most of the snaps at DT/NG for SHSU against MT. #59 was in there a few plays. I wonder if our O-line can where them down? IMHO, they looked gassed against MT in the 2nd half.

56BISON73
01-02-2012, 12:33 AM
Watching the MT/UNI game MT o-line was huge and man handled UNI dline. Then the MT/SHSU game SHSU Dline was just as big but much faster than MT oline. Interesting to see how we will handle their speed coupled with their size.

ndsubison1
01-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Darnell will play free safety and strong safety. His twin brother is one of the starting LB's

A rover is a hybrid safety/LB

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-02-2012, 03:22 AM
Watching the MT/UNI game MT o-line was huge and man handled UNI dline. Then the MT/SHSU game SHSU Dline was just as big but much faster than MT oline. Interesting to see how we will handle their speed coupled with their size.

Can't find the stats, but if I remember correctly, Sam D line was much smaller than MT O line.

56BISON73
01-02-2012, 03:43 AM
Can't find the stats, but if I remember correctly, Sam D line was much smaller than MT O line.

Never saw the stats but they sure looked the same on TV. Just faster.

56BISON73
01-02-2012, 03:55 AM

Yep no real monsters in the DL

33 Aaron Mueller DE 6-3 230 Fr. RS Caldwell (Caldwell)
34 Casey Devries DE 6-4 240 Fr. HS Dalhart (Dalhart)
54 Gavareon Marshall DL 6-3 245 Fr. HS Freeport (Brazosport)
55 Emmanuel Omoegbele DE 6-1 240 Fr. HS Houston (Alief Taylor)
56 E. J. Nduka DE 6-4 240 Sr. 2L Jackson, NJ (Jacksonville U) (Memorial)
57 Chris Rogers OL 5-11 270 Jr. TR Littleton, Colo (Iowa Central) (Columbine)
58 Ishmael Thorns DE 6-2 245 Fr. HS Dallas (Woodrow Wilson)
59 J. T. Cleveland DL 6-0 290 Jr. 2L Baytown, (Lee)

61 Chris Crockett OL 6-3 285 Sr. 2L Converse (Judson)
62 Grant Hill OL 6-3 310 Fr. HS San Antonio (Reagan)
63 Ken Jones DS 6-1 230 So. 1L Spring (Klein Collins)
66 Gary Lorance DL 6-0 290 So. 1L New Boston (New Boston)
67 Riley Smith OL 6-4 300 Jr. 1L Huntsville (Huntsville)
68 Skyler Denny OL 6-2 280 Fr. HS Tomball (Klein Oak)
69 Dylan Johnson OL 6-3 260 Fr. HS Houston (Cy Creek)
70 Dan Jenkins OL 6-4 290 Jr. 1L Gilmer (Missouri) (Gilmer)
71 Scott Gonzalez OL 6-0 270 Fr. RS Katy (Blinn) (Mayde Creek)
72 Joey White OL 6-4 305 Fr. HS Wimberley (Wimberley)
73 Travis Watson OL 6-3 290 Sr. 2L Norman, Ok (North)
74 Steve Solomon OL 6-4 275 Fr. RS Lovelady (Lovelady)
75 Jeremy Robison OL 6-4 300 Fr. HS Garrison (Garrison)
76 Matt Boyles OL 6-3 275 So. HS Southlake (Carroll)
77 Kaleb Hopson OL 6-6 300 Jr. 2L Early (Early)
79 Justin Havard OL 6-5 275 Fr. RS Diboll (Diboll)

90 Eddie Decambre DE 6-2 245 Sr. 3L Austin (Austin)
91 Preston Sanders DT 6-3 255 So. 1L Red Oak, (Red Oak)
92 Andrew Weaver DE 6-1 240 Jr. TR Waco (Texas A&M) (Waco)
93 Tim Galvan DE 6-2 240 So. SQ Galveston (Ball)
94 Quentin Horn DL 6-2 285 So. SQ Waco (Waco)
95 John Trotter DL 6-3 265 Fr. RS Rusk (Rusk)
96 Marco Segura DL 6-0 255 Jr. TR Cypress (Cy Springs)
97 Jarrett Brown DL 6-3 265 So. TR Arlington (Oklahoma) (Bowie)
99 Forbes Baggett DL 6-2 285 So. 1L H