PDA

View Full Version : SHSU's Offense

CAS4127
12-26-2011, 05:11 PM
OK, we know they run a TO of sorts, run the Wildcat, and their actual QB can throw the ball when needed. We also know they have two All-American offensive linemen.

I would like this thread involved discussion of their offense, including what sets they run out of, strengths and weaknesses, tendancies, and some highlight video so we can view them first hand and provide comments. By the time Frisco rolls around, I would like to know their players names and numbers by heart. Let's have at it, as I think this sort of discussions not only builds anticipation, but makes the game even more interesting because we will be a more educated fanbase.

SHSU fans are obviously welcome to chime in and add whatever they think might interest us.

Gonna start another thread on the SHSU defense (trying to get a head start on Gabe for the 2012 thread-starter of the year award.

Let's try to eliminate smack talk, and, I see know problem with cutting and pasting from other threads that may have posts already on topic.

Ya, I am gettin excited, and I reall enjoy "knowing" the opponent.

ndsubison1
12-26-2011, 06:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh8lagfW-aw&feature=related

BisonNeil
12-26-2011, 06:43 PM
The one thing that really impressed me about Sam's offense was how they manhandled the Montana State defensive line and how they made running lanes for Flanders against Montana. Flanders looked to be very fast and changes directions really well, much better than Taiwan last year. Their QB is also a good ball handler which helps them set up their misdirection plays.

NDSUs defense will have to be very disciplined and gap control will very, very important. I think they will be up to the challenge but the first quarter will be extremely important. Sam starts fast.

BlueKeyAlum
12-26-2011, 07:15 PM
In watching the montana game, Sincere seemed to come in every third down at QB. He really didn't seem to move the offense although he mamaged 49 yds. rushing for the game. But if he provided Bell a reprieve it was worth it.

They made Grizz look silly the first part of the game but then the Bearkats had several procedure penalties which i thought to be really odd given the end of the season.

CAS4127
12-26-2011, 07:18 PM
In watching the montana game, Sincere seemed to come in every third down at QB. He really didn't seem to move the offense although he mamaged 49 yds. rushing for the game. But if he provided Bell a reprieve it was worth it.

They made Grizz look silly the first part of the game but then the Bearkats had several procedure penalties which i thought to be really odd given the end of the season.

Did anyone notice whether MT and Breske made any adjustments defensively to slow down SHSU, or was it just a matter of settling in, gettin accustomed to their speed and staying with assignments?

westnodak93bison
12-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Did any of our opponents run a similar offense?

CaBisonFan
12-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I'm very impressed with their offense. This could be the biggest defensive challenge of the year for the Bison. Appears they can do it all.

But...we have better athletes on defense than either of the Montana schools had. Same applies to coaching. They didn't have Hazelton.

HandoEX
12-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Great points. SHSU averages 22.4 more penalty yards than we do. That can be huge in the playoffs.

CAS4127
12-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Great points. SHSU averages 22.4 more penalty yards than we do. That can be huge in the playoffs.

Good point. What about offensive turnovers? Where are they at in the category?

HandoEX
12-26-2011, 07:33 PM
Good point. What about offensive turnovers? Where are they at in the category?
They have 6 lost fumbles (22 total) and 6 interceptions.

HandoEX
12-26-2011, 07:48 PM
39.1 points per game (NDSU: 32.4)
5.7 yards per rush (NDSU: 5.0)
46 rushing touchdowns (NDSU: 37)
59% passing completions (NDSU: 68%)
6 interceptions(NDSU: 3)
22 passing touchdowns(NDSU: 13)
421 yards total offense per game (NDSU: 353)
3rd down conversions: 43% (NDSU: 45)
4th down conversions: 56% (NDSU: 62)
31 sacks given up (NDSU: 39)
red zone scores: 79%(NDSU: 91%)
red zone touchdowns: 58% (NDSU: 70%)

first quarter scoring: 119 (NDSU: 62)
first quarter scoring: 143 (NDSU: 166)
first quarter scoring: 180 (NDSU: 123)
first quarter scoring: 100 (NDSU: 102)

katstrapper
12-26-2011, 07:50 PM

If you are only referring to the Montana game, the Grizzlies really keyed in on stopping the Wildcat formation and Sincere didnt get as meany touches. Sincere had 160yds rushing against Montana St in that formation and they dont only run it on third down. Sincere played the majority of the snaps in the Montana St at QB. Sincere has almost 1000yds rushing this season and is second leading rusher on the team.

The beauty of this offense is opposing teams dont know where the next strike is coming from. True SHSU has Sincere (#6) , Flanders(#20) and Bell (#11) as the three main playmakers, but SHSU also has Ryan Wilson (#4), Torrance Williams (#10), Keith Blanton (#87). SHSU rotates players in and out all game, even including the OL.

SHSU runs the option out of a spread formation, unlike a team like Ga Southern who runs more of a traditional option style attack. SHSU will put 3 receivers, 4 receivers in game and run the option. They will line up in pistol formation and shotgun formation. They will also line up in the pistol formation with two running backs behind the QB. It is probably the most unique offense you will see or have seen.

Oh and yes, Bell can throw. He was a highly successful QB in high school that ran a spread passing attack. His senior year in HS he threw for 3500+ yds, 35 tds and 9 ints.

tony
12-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Oh and yes, Bell can throw. He was a highly successful QB in high school that ran a spread passing attack. His senior year in HS he threw for 3500+ yds, 35 tds and 9 ints.

Yeah, Bell throws a dart... pretty impressed by his highlights.

CaBisonFan
12-26-2011, 09:01 PM
39.1 points per game (NDSU: 32.4)
5.7 yards per rush (NDSU: 5.0)
46 rushing touchdowns (NDSU: 37)
59% passing completions (NDSU: 68%)
6 interceptions(NDSU: 3)
22 passing touchdowns(NDSU: 13)
421 yards total offense per game (NDSU: 353)
3rd down conversions: 43% (NDSU: 45)
4th down conversions: 56% (NDSU: 62)
31 sacks given up (NDSU: 39)
red zone scores: 79%(NDSU: 91%)
red zone touchdowns: 58% (NDSU: 70%)

first quarter scoring: 119 (NDSU: 62)
first quarter scoring: 143 (NDSU: 166)
first quarter scoring: 180 (NDSU: 123)
first quarter scoring: 100 (NDSU: 102)

The red zone scoring stands out as an advantage for us...also, their advantage in 1st quarter scoring. Thanks Hando.

katstrapper
12-26-2011, 09:13 PM
SHSU has outscored its opponents 548 - 207

1Q 119-13
2Q 143-68
3Q 180-31
4Q 100-92
OT 6-3

stevdock
12-26-2011, 10:43 PM
I think the key is going to be red zone scoring for us to win. If they are consistently kicking FG's instead of scoring TD's then we are going to be in good shape. SHSU has scored a ton of points on BIG plays. Those normally don't happen against us and if they do then we are in big trouble.

onbison09
12-26-2011, 10:49 PM
In the games I have watched in the playoffs they've struggled as the game wore on. That could be an advantage for us.

Gully
12-26-2011, 11:06 PM
This should be a great game. We have struggled at times with shotgun based running attacks so that could be interesting.

Notorious
12-26-2011, 11:16 PM
Sincere and Flanders impress me most...historically, we've struggled with this type of spread-option. Bell is decent, but nothing we haven't seen. He can make plays though. With respect to Flanders, he is good, but I'm not completely sold. No smack intended, but he is probably not in the Top #3 of backs we have faced this year. BUT, put all the SHSU pieces together, and this is the best team we have faced. I watched both the Montana games...we're better than both. SHSU jumped on each...great team speed, killer instinct, combined with the Montanas seeming overwhelmed...out of sorts....

Montana St. - very overrated
Montana - the "hot" streak cooled

I honestly think we will win by 14+. We will dictate pace. Again, no smack intended.

HandoEX
12-26-2011, 11:24 PM
What did Stony Brook do to keep that game so close?

gizmo
12-26-2011, 11:27 PM
While NDSU must respect SHSU's overall team speed on offense, I believe their strength is in the middle of their O-line. Against Montana, Flanders had some gaping holes up the middle to run through and those plays must be controlled or he will go for big yards. Frankly, I don't think any FCS team runs the ball well enough to beat us on the ground. IMO, if SHSU shows a significant passing game then NDSU will have it's hands full.

Facts
12-27-2011, 02:28 AM
Watched the Montana game. Mont appeared to make an adjustment in the 2nd half... Out scoring shsu 14-3. What did they do differently?

katstrapper
12-27-2011, 02:30 AM
What did Stony Brook do to keep that game so close?

Stony Brook was a better team than people give them credit for. They were big and physical, but their QB was able to hit a few big pass plays on play action pass. Kats didnt come out ready in the first half of that game. Defense kept it close till offense got rolling. SB will be good next year.

katstrapper
12-27-2011, 02:35 AM
Watched the Montana game. Mont appeared to make an adjustment in the 2nd half... Out scoring shsu 14-3. What did they do differently?

Montana brought a few more people on defense, but really they were like the Stony Brook game and able to hit a few big plays to get down the field and score. However, they did a better job stopping the run in second half. Flanders had 194 rushing in first half. He had 93 in the second.

Bison"FANatic"
12-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Montana didn't keep any back side control. On quite a few of Flanders big runs he started out to the right was bottled up and was able to cut it back to the left, if Montana keeps anybackside control they probably win the game. Breske couldn't make the adjustment till it was to late. We know all about that all to well.

katstrapper
12-27-2011, 02:45 AM
Sincere and Flanders impress me most...historically, we've struggled with this type of spread-option. Bell is decent, but nothing we haven't seen. He can make plays though. With respect to Flanders, he is good, but I'm not completely sold. No smack intended, but he is probably not in the Top #3 of backs we have faced this year. BUT, put all the SHSU pieces together, and this is the best team we have faced. I watched both the Montana games...we're better than both. SHSU jumped on each...great team speed, killer instinct, combined with the Montanas seeming overwhelmed...out of sorts....

Montana St. - very overrated
Montana - the "hot" streak cooled

I honestly think we will win by 14+. We will dictate pace. Again, no smack intended.

With all due respect, did you see Montana St or Montana play during the year? Bobcats were rolling until they got smacked by the Grizzlies and then they were never the same. Montana is Montana. I wouldnt say that MSU was over rated and the key to beating Montana is getting them out of WaGriz. Bell is only a sophomore, but he is better than just decent.
You dont have to be SOLD on Flanders because you havent seen him play, but you will be SOLD when you see him live. He is as good as advertised.

Sincere and Flanders are good, but dont forget Torrance Wiliams and Ryan Wilson.

Everything you have said isnt something I havent heard ALL YEAR AND ALL PLAYOFFS. No smack intended. We will see on Jan. 7

katstrapper
12-27-2011, 02:47 AM
Montana didn't keep any back side control. On quite a few of Flanders big runs he started out to the right was bottled up and was able to cut it back to the left, if Montana keeps anybackside control they probably win the game. Breske couldn't make the adjustment till it was to late. We know all about that all to well.

Flanders made a lot guys miss too. He can move side to side just as quick as backwards and forwards.

AjaxTheMighty
12-27-2011, 04:02 AM
It matters not how many yards Flanders gets, or how shifty he is. This game will come down to turnovers. Winner of that category wins this game.

BisonFan02
12-27-2011, 04:23 AM
GA Southern had 333 yards of offense.....7 points. They are also 81% scoring in the red zone with 67% touchdowns for the season. SHSU is going to have to convert on their red zone opportunities if they want to win (so far this season performing less than par in comparison to GA Southern). Otherwise, I could see a typical "bend, don't break" Bison performance on D.

bisonpride
12-27-2011, 01:26 PM
With all due respect, did you see Montana St or Montana play during the year? Bobcats were rolling until they got smacked by the Grizzlies and then they were never the same. Montana is Montana. I wouldnt say that MSU was over rated and the key to beating Montana is getting them out of WaGriz. Bell is only a sophomore, but he is better than just decent.
You dont have to be SOLD on Flanders because you havent seen him play, but you will be SOLD when you see him live. He is as good as advertised.

Sincere and Flanders are good, but dont forget Torrance Wiliams and Ryan Wilson.

Everything you have said isnt something I havent heard ALL YEAR AND ALL PLAYOFFS. No smack intended. We will see on Jan. 7

You won't find a Bison fan who doesn't think Montana State is overrated because we went there last year in the playoffs with a young team and rammed the football down their throat 42-17. Quite frankly we are younger this year as a few starters from last year have been passed over by freshman on defense. We also have beaten Montana at Montana while we were only a D2 with just 36 scholarships during our last year of D2 so we are not impressed by that either.

Georgia southern had to abandon their traditional triple option to a spread option by the start of the 2nd quarter because we held them to around 50 yards, 2 punts and a fumble by the quarter break. Marques Gray at Minnesota is much more of a dual threat then anyone at Sam has and he got benched mid 3rd quarter because he couldn't do anything against us. I agree with everyone this will be a tough game but I think we have defended equally as fast or talented offenses.

cbline
12-27-2011, 02:49 PM
You won't find a Bison fan who doesn't think Montana State is overrated because we went there last year in the playoffs with a young team and rammed the football down their throat 42-17. Quite frankly we are younger this year as a few starters from last year have been passed over by freshman on defense. We also have beaten Montana at Montana while we were only a D2 with just 36 scholarships during our last year of D2 so we are not impressed by that either.

Georgia southern had to abandon their traditional triple option to a spread option by the start of the 2nd quarter because we held them to around 50 yards, 2 punts and a fumble by the quarter break. Marques Gray at Minnesota is much more of a dual threat then anyone at Sam has and he got benched mid 3rd quarter because he couldn't do anything against us. I agree with everyone this will be a tough game but I think we have defended equally as fast or talented offenses.

^^^^^Exactly^^^^^ All through the playoffs, the media warned us that the Bison D was facing the "next big thing" with opposing offenses from JMU, Lehigh, and GSU. Final tally: D gave up 21 points over three games.

BisonNeil
12-27-2011, 03:01 PM
^^^^^Exactly^^^^^ All through the playoffs, the media warned us that the Bison D was facing the "next big thing" with opposing offenses from JMU, Lehigh, and GSU. Final tally: D gave up 21 points over three games.

That is the statistic I am clinging to.

As Craig Haley of the SportsNetwork pointed out, NDSU and SHSU lead the nation in scoring defense. However, in the playoffs, facing better competition, the Bison are giving up half as many points as they did during the regular season and SHSU is giving up about 10 more points per game. I think that is an important stat.

There is no question that SHSU will be the very best team the Bison have played all year. The Bison hope to be able to do something that no one else has been able to do, and that is beat them.

westnodak93bison
12-27-2011, 03:30 PM
I watched the first quarter of MT and SHSU last night. I'm no football expert but here is what I saw and please correct me if I'm wrong. Poor tackling and angles by MT, a turnover in SHSU territory, MT trying to run outside on a fast defense and they did not get off blocks very well at all. The MT SS was no where to be found in the run defense. Ironically I think we recruited their SS Hermanson?

tony
12-27-2011, 08:51 PM
I watched the first quarter of MT and SHSU last night. I'm no football expert but here is what I saw and please correct me if I'm wrong. Poor tackling and angles by MT, a turnover in SHSU territory, MT trying to run outside on a fast defense and they did not get off blocks very well at all. The MT SS was no where to be found in the run defense. Ironically I think we recruited their SS Hermanson?

Well, poor angles can be caused by unexpected speed so it could be that SHSU was a lot faster than Montana expected. That said, I saw some horrible defense by both Montana and Montana State... how can you not cover the QB? Montana State looked lost on defense the entire game and Montana looked terrible in the first quarter at least.

Brian Bell looks to be a very good QB... he throws a very low ball though (get yer hands up d.)

CAS4127
12-27-2011, 08:55 PM
Well, poor angles can be caused by unexpected speed so it could be that SHSU was a lot faster than Montana expected. That said, I saw some horrible defense by both Montana and Montana State... how can you not cover the QB? Montana State looked lost on defense the entire game and Montana looked terrible in the first quarter at least.

Brian Bell looks to be a very good QB... he throws a very low ball though (get yer hands up d.)

Yep, Exhibit A is TJones last year in the first quarter or so of the EWU game. We adjusted, but it took us a bit.

bisonsupporter
12-27-2011, 09:08 PM

This was the one thing that jumped out to me. If the Bison D-line can deflect a couple balls, that should get into Bell's mind.

Flanders feet are impressive. I dont think the Bison have seen the lateral movement that Flanders has. Our LB's and safteys can get sideline to sideline pretty quick. I wouldnt be surprised to see SHSU try to run the ball between the tackles and try to run it down our throat as we have done to others.

katstrapper
12-29-2011, 12:57 PM
This was the one thing that jumped out to me. If the Bison D-line can deflect a couple balls, that should get into Bell's mind.

Flanders feet are impressive. I dont think the Bison have seen the lateral movement that Flanders has. Our LB's and safteys can get sideline to sideline pretty quick. I wouldnt be surprised to see SHSU try to run the ball between the tackles and try to run it down our throat as we have done to others.

Not much gets into Bells head. For him to be as young as he is, he has to be one of the most calmest and coolest kids I have seen. He has great pocket presence and has an ability to get out of trouble if he has too. As far as the comment about him throwing low balls, I dont think he throws the ball different than any other QB. Its just a matter of if the defense can get their hands up quick enough or not. He does however throw a nice deep ball. Has great touch.

And wait....according to Montana fans, they had the best LB's in the country and were the fastest laterally?

True there were quite a few missed tackles in the Montana game, but Flanders can make defenders look bad. His jump step side to side is something that is fun to watch. Fans can form their own opnion of him when they see him live. He can break some ankles.

Bison Dan
12-29-2011, 01:02 PM
I thought the same thing about Hermanson. Real poor safety play by the FS & SS. I also thought the LB play was poor and slow.

katstrapper
12-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Of course this will make defenses crazy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUc6ndRV61Y&feature=related

Bison"FANatic"
12-29-2011, 02:11 PM

It will make them crazy only if they are undisciplined. The vast majority of those plays the play started out to the right and bounced back to the left and there was absolutely no back side contain. You could have had your 3rd string back in and he could have made those plays. It was not even close to being all offensive prowess and had a lot to do with lack of disciplined play by the defense. I would be very surprised if you see that out of us.

CAS4127
12-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Ya, GSU fans posted all kinds of this same stuff, primarily long runs against ButtBama, most of which were the result of poor defensive discipline and or schemes. What we ended up seeing was that their defense lacked discipline and had very little clue on there assignments with our D being the exact opposite. Happens all the time when we play teams from the South who rely on so-called athleticism as opposed to both athelticism, discipline and good coaching.

I like our chances-->thanks tho!!

katstrapper
12-29-2011, 02:27 PM
Ya, GSU fans posted all kinds of this same stuff, primarily long runs against ButtBama, most of which were the result of poor defensive discipline and or schemes. What we ended up seeing was that their defense lacked discipline and had very little clue on there assignments with our D being the exact opposite. Happens all the time when we play teams from the South who rely on so-called athleticism as opposed to both athelticism, discipline and good coaching.

I like our chances-->thanks tho!!

BEWARE!!:rofl:

CAS4127
12-29-2011, 02:37 PM

I skeeeeered-->http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?26445-Things-more-intimidating-than-a-quot-bearkat-quot-...

WYOBISONMAN
12-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Remind me again........what are we to be aware of??? http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/images/smilies/coffee.gif

TwentyThree
12-29-2011, 03:51 PM

That stat is misleading. Our Corners were getting 3+ pass interference calls a game early in the season. Since then they have become much more accustomed to being on an island for most of the game and have really improved their man coverage.

tjamz
12-29-2011, 04:20 PM

This makes QB's scared

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQy61cahorU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgNySavqueM

westnodak93bison
12-29-2011, 05:42 PM
This makes QB's scared

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQy61cahorU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgNySavqueM

It would sure help our cause if we could put a big hit on their scrawny 170lb QB

TateMosersneighbor
12-29-2011, 11:37 PM
It would sure help our cause if we could put a big hit on their scrawny 170lb QB

Yep, I agree. I think whoever wins the game will be the team that disrupts the opposing teams QB. Both can and will run the ball a bit, but I think our 275lb DL guys would like to get to the skinny kid a few times.

katstrapper
12-29-2011, 11:50 PM
Yep, I agree. I think whoever wins the game will be the team that disrupts the opposing teams QB. Both can and will run the ball a bit, but I think our 275lb DL guys would like to get to the skinny kid a few times.

Your d lineman only weight 275?

coldspot
12-29-2011, 11:53 PM

If I remember correctly, the GSU fans said that too like it was a bad thing. I bet if you asked them now, they would be singing a different tune.

Bisonguy
12-30-2011, 12:01 AM

DT's are, NG are 283 and 291.

gizmo
12-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Against NDSU, SHSU will have to earn the victory because it won't be handed to them like the gift from Montana. IF SHSU can build a first half lead against NDSU it had better be a big one because the Bison OWN the second half.

katstrapper
12-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Against NDSU, SHSU will have to earn the victory because it won't be handed to them like the gift from Montana. IF SHSU can build a first half lead against NDSU it had better be a big one because the Bison OWN the second half.

NDSU
1Q 62-23
2Q 166-65
3Q 123-34
4Q 102-63

SHSU
1Q 119-13
2Q 143-68
3Q 180-31
4Q 100-92

I think both teams have owned every quarter. These two teams are pretty even.

ndsubison1
01-02-2012, 04:46 AM
our defense has been much more dominant in the playoffs too. 3 weeks to get healthy and prepare for SHSU's offense. meanwhile shsu takes what? 9 days off? shsu hasnt seen a defense like ours yet. but, we havent seen an offense like theirs yet. still, i like our chances.

katstrapper
01-03-2012, 05:41 PM
our defense has been much more dominant in the playoffs too. 3 weeks to get healthy and prepare for SHSU's offense. meanwhile shsu takes what? 9 days off? shsu hasnt seen a defense like ours yet. but, we havent seen an offense like theirs yet. still, i like our chances.

9 days off? So what.. Coach Fritz had is plan, Coach Bohl had his plan. Both coaches did what they felt was best for their teams. NDSU fans like their teams chances... SHSU fans like their teams chances... It will be settled on the field.

Hammerhead
01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Neither team has trailed very much this year. SHSU was never behind more than 3 points in the regular season. Stony Brook had a 7-point lead in one of their playoff games. SIU, Minnesota, and Youngstown are the only games where the Bison have trailed for more than a few minutes.

NDSU
1Q 62-23
2Q 166-65
3Q 123-34
4Q 102-63

SHSU
1Q 119-13
2Q 143-68
3Q 180-31
4Q 100-92

I think both teams have owned every quarter. These two teams are pretty even.

HerdBot
01-03-2012, 07:17 PM

they are all 6'4". the small backup is 6'3" and is the strongest guy on the team. our backup NT is 6'4" 291 and is mean and lean. He played De , Te, wr, rb, and lb in high school and ran track . the athletes on our dline are really good . not your typical 6' 1" or 6'2" guys. and they are quick .

HerdBot
01-03-2012, 07:20 PM
9 days off? So what.. Coach Fritz had is plan, Coach Bohl had his plan. Both coaches did what they felt was best for their teams. NDSU fans like their teams chances... SHSU fans like their teams chances... It will be settled on the field.

there is no right or wrong way. just different. no matter how they prepare this is going to be one he'll of a game

westnodak93bison
01-03-2012, 07:32 PM
For what it is worth. The Bison know how to work hard and smart. Not saying SHSU doesn't.
I was told through an insider that the coaching staff had to tell the players to go home and rest the week of the Georgia Southern game. They wouldn't quit watching film etc. (voluntary stuff).

56BISON73
01-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Every coach has their own philosophy on how to get their team ready based on their level of play(grading out) etc, and where they are conditioning wise and the time it take to get there team back to the fine edge they had before the layoff. They have to find a balance for whats right for them. There are extremes on both sides of the fence.
Take Woody Hayes for instance. He had his team doing two adays for the two weeks prior to their bowl games. As a matter of fact he almost had a team mutiny one year. He had all the players on lock down and all they did was practice twice a day and this was the week of the game. Finally the captains had to go talk to him.